9.2

1. Nov 13, 2013
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is practically flawless in its execution as a fun, addictive strategy RPG. If you are looking to get into the series and wish to expand your 3DS library with quality titles, Awakening should not be overlooked.
  2. Jul 31, 2013
    Absolutley brilliant game. Tops my 3DS games chart with nearly 80 hours racked up on before finally beating the story mode. The story is pretty good, as are the graphics, but it's the gameplay that really makes this game so good. Incredibly addictive, and tonnes of replayability. Haven't played a Fire Emblem game before, but after this I certainly want more. Easily the best handheldAbsolutley brilliant game. Tops my 3DS games chart with nearly 80 hours racked up on before finally beating the story mode. The story is pretty good, as are the graphics, but it's the gameplay that really makes this game so good. Incredibly addictive, and tonnes of replayability. Haven't played a Fire Emblem game before, but after this I certainly want more. Easily the best handheld game on the 3DS, and probably the best handheld game ever made. And Fredrick, Cheers Bro. Expand
  3. Jun 13, 2014
    Es mi juego favorito de 3DS. Estrategia inteligente, divertida y arriesgada. Espectacular grupo de personajes, tanto en carisma como en diseño (perder a algunos será todo un drama). Y una historia muy entretenida y llena de mil posibilidades lo convierten en una joya más para el arcón de oro de la factoría Nintendo.
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    Short and sweet.
    I've played all the FE's that have been translated and brought to NA.
    This one is the best for many reasons. :)

If you like strategy RPG's and haven't played this game, you are really missing out!
  5. Apr 4, 2014
    This has got to be one of the BEST games I’ve played across ANY platform (I’ve got the Xbox 360, Wii, PC, DS and of course the 3DS)!

To know for sure if you like this game, here’s a checklist: 1) Do you like a good story and funny dialogue? Check! 2) Do you like a good RPG? Check! 3) Do you like a good turn-based game? Check! 4) Do you like good originality? Check! 5) Do you like

To know for sure if you like this game, here’s a checklist:
    1) Do you like a good story and funny dialogue? Check!
    2) Do you like a good RPG? Check!
    3) Do you like a good turn-based game? Check!
    4) Do you like good originality? Check!
    5) Do you like good in-game animation? Check!
    6) Do you like to produce good kids? Check!
    7) All of the above? Check!

Fire Emblem: Awakening covers so much ground it’s no surprise that the appeal is so wide. At its heart, it is a grid-based turn-based strategy game based on some pretty memorable characters with their own strengths and weaknesses depending on their classes such as Swordmaster, Sorcerer, Sage, Dark Mage, Dark Flier, Warrior, Berserker, Archer, Lord and so on. You pick up more characters (all playable!) as the story progresses to join your party. In each mission, you pick a mix of characters to do the mission. Each mission progresses the story but there are other Side Stories and Paralogues – more on that later. The turn-based strategy has a twist – you can PAIR these characters on the maps. Each time you pair them, they can SUPPORT each other in unique ways (such as increasing your main attacker’s attack, defense, avoidance etc., and even come to the defense of the unit!) But we do ourselves an injustice to just call it a “turn-based strategy game” – it’s much much more.

That’s where we come to… child-bearing. Yes, child-bearing. You can pair various characters at every turn, and the more times you pair them, the stronger their relationship becomes. Then in the dialogue part of the game, over time, you get the pairs to talk to each other up to a point where they get married. Once they get married, at some point in the game “Paralogues” open up. These are side-missions specifically related to the kids from these marriages. These kids inherit some of their parents’ (depending who you end up pairing into marriages) skills and stats. And here’s the clincher – you can then enlist any of the kids into your party too and play them as characters!!!

And here’s the part for RPG lovers. As you move on, you can use a Master Seal or Second Seal to change classes or promote within a class for ANY character in your party. And when you change classes, they get to keep the perks they’ve earned. For example, I turn one of my characters Anna into an Assassin to get the “Lethality” perk (chance of one-hit-KO), then changed her class into a Dark Knight to get the “Lifetaker” perk (recover HP by 50% after she defeats an enemy). So as you level up and change classes over time, your characters get stronger and stronger. There is an element of grinding at times – and which RPG game doesn’t have that? But grinding doesn’t feel so bad when the battle animation is SOOOOOOOO good. While I got a bit bored of Pokemon X and Y battle animations after awhile, I have NEVER tired of watching hours of Fire Emblem: Awakening battle animations – it feels so alive and organic that it impresses me even if I’ve seen some of the same moves a 100 times. Especially when there’s those “chance of activating” perks like “Lethality” which is peppered in the usual combat animations. Want the lazy way out (like I did) of too much grinding? Welcome to the DLCs.

While paid DLCs are NOT required for game completion, I highly recommend them. They are of top-notch quality and each of them actually grants you something valuable so it’s actually worth buying. For example one of them grants you a new class, the Dread Fighter. Another DLC grants you a new character. My favourite is the “EXPonential Growth” DLC mission, which eases the pain of levelling up by quite a fair bit. You can buy them in sets of three which is a few dollars cheaper. There’s just SO much replayability that’s added with these DLCs. I’ve probably used “EXPonential Growth” about 100+ times.

The animated cutscenes, although it doesn’t no appear often, are really good. That said, the dialogues in the story are so funny. The story and relationships between characters are really engaging, and at times, real hilarious and worth reading through.

Now I personally hate overly difficult games. This game allows you to tune the difficulty. For example, I play on a casual mode where if the characters get KO’d, they return in the next mission. If you’re in for a challenge, you can go for the “Permadeath” mode where once a character is lost in a mission, he or she is lost forever. Pretty tough especially if you honed and levelled up that character and grown to love it.

If I haven’t already got a 3DS, Fire Emblem: Awakening would’ve done it for me. No game is perfect, but this comes pretty darn close!
  6. Jan 25, 2014
    This is the only Fire Emblem game I played, and I bought it after hearing it was good. But wow, I was really blown away by this game, it's easily one of the best games on the 3DS.

First, the game looks great, the drawn portraits are very well done and show the characters in different varieties of emotion, the actual in game models are still pretty good, but they could've used them better.
    The prerendered cutscenes look amazing, I believe it is cel shading, which works very well on the 3DS.

Great cast of voice actors, Kyle Hebert, Liam O'Brien, Laura Bailey, Yuri Lowenthal, Tara Platt, and a lot of other voice actors that aren't in the limelight, but still do a good job.

The gameplay is fun, you can have characters work together on the battlefield to help eachother in combat, and build relationships which improve their strengths when working together. It also provides a relationship system where characters can become friends, or marry eachother. If you're not big into strategy, you might not like it, but I suggest at least giving it a try, I believe there's a demo on the Nintendo eShop.

My only issue with this game is that during the character creation for your Avatar, at least for the males, the choices are pretty limited, you can make him look like a 10 year old, a femme boy, or a really manly man with a chin that would make Leno blush. I admit, it's only a superficial thing, but it just kind of bugs me that there's no happy medium.
  7. Jun 5, 2014
    I'm rather confused as to how this game is receiving such exceptional reviews. It's a mediocre tactics game that suffers from a lack of compelling elements. My biggest complaints are:
    - You have to move THEN attack, no attack then move
    - Maps are bland and lack features present in better tactics games (altitude, etc.) - The "voice acting" mainly consist of simple utterances that are
    - You have to move THEN attack, no attack then move
    - The "voice acting" mainly consist of simple utterances that are repeated far too often
    - Story & Characters are dull and uninteresting
    I could go on but I'll leave it at this. The game isn't horrible and brings back a lot of the classic Fire Emblem nostalgia, but it's very far from great.
  8. May 18, 2013
    The game is good, refreshing; yet still brings back memories from earlier games. The new support function is amazing, and being able to marry characters together is a long wanted feature.

The biggest problem with the game is the huge gap in difficulties. Hard mode is ridiculously easy for veterans of the game, yet Lunatic is nearly impossible without hours of grinding particular units.
  9. Aug 25, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening is a perfect 3DS game of a year, The storyline is amazing, graphics are good. I have been so much enjoyed this game. The boss fights are extremely insane.
  10. Mar 25, 2014
    I love the Fire Emblem series. Unfortunately, I don't share the same enthusiasm for Awakening.

Honestly, I wanted to love the game. I expected that I would love it. It was actually one of the reasons I got my 3DS. What ended up happening was I liked the game well enough, but it fell short of my expectations. There are a few glaring faults in Awakening. First, the infinite number of

There are a few glaring faults in Awakening. First, the infinite number of reclassing makes the game extremely easy, even on the hardest setting. Second, the story is cliched and has very little development. What you get is a plot that speeds along, but it lacks the political intrigue of the earlier FE games. Both of these problems I can overlook, but the map design I simply cannot ignore.

Quite simply, the map design in Awakening is deplorable. The maps are boring and their layouts are not conducive to strategic gameplay. What I mean is that it's obvious how to place your units at first glance of the map. There are few maps where cowering in a corner does not lead to an easy rout. To compound this problem is that fact there are only two winning conditions in Awakening. Enemies will always dive head first into your units.

Buy the game, but don't expect it to be as good as older Fire Emblem entries.
  11. Aug 14, 2013
    This was my very first time playing Fire Emblem. I have to say that I love all rpg including jrpg. But I just couldn't get into this game at all. I played for about 3 hours and just shut down the game. I know people love this game but I just did not find it fun. The anime cut scenes are fun to watch but the in game interactions between characters where quit dull. The graphics are great forThis was my very first time playing Fire Emblem. I have to say that I love all rpg including jrpg. But I just couldn't get into this game at all. I played for about 3 hours and just shut down the game. I know people love this game but I just did not find it fun. The anime cut scenes are fun to watch but the in game interactions between characters where quit dull. The graphics are great for a 3DS game but I could not get into the micromanaging of all the characters on a hand held device. For this kind of game I would need total immersion with my 60" TV and my Beyerdynamic headphones. But to me it just falls flat on a handheld device. And I do love a good 50+ rpg/jprg. Expand
  12. Jul 12, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening does everything right. Well everything that matters anyway. It is deep and stylish yet accessible and streamlined. All the characters are like-able and when one dies in battle it is genuinely heart wrenching.
  13. May 9, 2014
    Fun TBS game, but honestly it's pretty overrated. Sacred Stones was the only other one I played in the series. Permadeath seemed to carry much more wight in that one, as you couldn't farm for helpers at your leisure. At the end of the day though, most of the additions were welcome. As far as story goes, who gives a f*ck. It's a lame RPG story I'm guessing. I don't play strategy gamesFun TBS game, but honestly it's pretty overrated. Sacred Stones was the only other one I played in the series. Permadeath seemed to carry much more wight in that one, as you couldn't farm for helpers at your leisure. At the end of the day though, most of the additions were welcome. As far as story goes, who gives a f*ck. It's a lame RPG story I'm guessing. I don't play strategy games for story. Expand
  14. Oct 20, 2014
    This is just the best 3ds game I have ever played, it was my first Fire Emblem title, so I did not know what to expect, but a friend told me that past titles were extremely good, so I tried it. And OH MY GOD it was good, I liked it even more than Brevely Default, and I can´t stop replaying it.
    The gameplay is awesome, in the line of previous titles (I have bought them too and are playing them now), the story is serious, sad and fun at times, and the graphics are the absolute best of 3ds.
    I will just add that the 3d effect in this game is astonishing, probably one of the best made 3d´s I have seen since Mario.
  15. Apr 9, 2013
    This was definitely a very good game, with hours put into it and hours left of it to play. The turn based strategy isn't my favorite form of combat, but the good reviews lead me into buying it anyway, and I was not disappointed. Still, it could get repetitive going on and on after fight, and when you started to run out of characters (If you play on permadeath) some missions feelThis was definitely a very good game, with hours put into it and hours left of it to play. The turn based strategy isn't my favorite form of combat, but the good reviews lead me into buying it anyway, and I was not disappointed. Still, it could get repetitive going on and on after fight, and when you started to run out of characters (If you play on permadeath) some missions feel impossible. The story and cut scenes are great though, from the graphics to the dialogue to the twists, and if you ever start getting bored of a cut scene an amazing one will come make you take it all back. Expand
  16. Mar 6, 2014
    What a game! If you like the tactical-RPG genre, stop reading and go to your favourite shop ;)
    If you are still doubting, the game offers some little twists over the classic genre, with not too long battles, easy to read, all packed with a consistent story and character relation system.
    Also, the game can be played in hardcore mode (don't remember the exact name) where the fallen characters die for real, they are out of the party forever. The feeling of care over all of them is awesome, and you will really think deeply your following moves in battle or you will cry later!
    In short, in my opinion is a long, perfectly executed and very replayable title. You should buy it!
  17. Jan 2, 2014
    This is my first FireEmblem game ever. I am not really a huge fan of this type of games (or that's what I thought) but this game astonished me. It is by far the best 3DS game I've ever played. Period. Yes, I think it is even better than Zelda and Pokemon...etc

Pros: * The battling system * The story and cutscenes! The emotional side and tragedy of the story * The fact that when the

Pros:
    * The battling system
    * The story and cutscenes! The emotional side and tragedy of the story
    * The fact that when the characters die, they die forever. It's kinda heartbreaking, but also adds a depth to the game, especially when I get attached for one character!

Cons:
    * Nothing
  18. Jan 12, 2014
    Fire Emblem Awakening is a wonderful game that should be played by all fans of the RPG Genre/Turn Based System. This takes turn based combat to a new level, as you have new people in new battlefields. The main story is around 20-30 hours long, depending on the difficulty level you choose, and the fun of the game makes replay value very high. The high amount of Spotpass items, DLC, and goodFire Emblem Awakening is a wonderful game that should be played by all fans of the RPG Genre/Turn Based System. This takes turn based combat to a new level, as you have new people in new battlefields. The main story is around 20-30 hours long, depending on the difficulty level you choose, and the fun of the game makes replay value very high. The high amount of Spotpass items, DLC, and good streetpass capabilities cause this game to also have great replay value outside of story mode! Highly recommended for all RPG Fans!!

Gameplay: 10/10
    Story: 9.5/10
    Music: 10/10
    Presentation: 9.5/10
    Length: 9/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  19. Jun 6, 2014
    Masterpiece period. Game flow, scenery, graphics; are all AMAZING. This game holds up to its predecessors in every way, adding more than ever. Plz buy this game if you own a 3ds, u will not be disappointed.
  20. Feb 12, 2014
    This game is definitely an Awakening for me. the games art style and cut scenes has one of the best graphics for the 3ds so far. It has both english and japanese voices witch I have to give some appreciation to. it has a normal mode in which the character do not die in your game save but for you fans of the series their are two modes that have that feature if you choose to one in normalThis game is definitely an Awakening for me. the games art style and cut scenes has one of the best graphics for the 3ds so far. It has both english and japanese voices witch I have to give some appreciation to. it has a normal mode in which the character do not die in your game save but for you fans of the series their are two modes that have that feature if you choose to one in normal mode and one in hard mode. the game play is the same with a new partner system where you can get stat boost depending on who you choose to be with. each character has their own interesting stories and conversations. their are also some maps you can get via the eshop which is a minor nit pick of mine since you have to pay for the maps but I do not mind so if you want to get it then you can. the sound track is done nicely as well having some familiar sound effects such as the level up theme. overall if you want a challenging strategy game with a good story, great characters, and beautiful art and sound design I get this game. for those who do not like turn base strategy I wound avoid at all cost. Expand
  21. Feb 15, 2014
    Just buy this game, just buy it. If you don't own a 3DS just buy one. That's how good this game is. Easily one of the top 5 best games of all time. Buy it.
  22. Aug 19, 2013
    Wow, I've been wanting this game, but I waited this long because I wasn't sure I'd actually like it. Boy was I wrong. It's my favorite 3DS game. I'm incredibly sucked in!
  23. Sep 29, 2013
    Intro:
    I'm a huge fan of turn-based RPG. Though I haven't played much on its respective genre, I love all of them. I also got my 3DS few months ago and this is my 2nd game. I'm having my 2nd playthrough right now. I just love this game till the very game.:D Let's start with the spot-on review shall we?
    Intro:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Story/Plot 9/10:
    As I play my very first Fire Emblem, I have no idea what the franchise is all about though I know Ike since I've heard a lot of him and all I know are the protagonist have blue hair. Anyway, I think they started fresh here or the game is based several decades after the last game(which I haven't played yet but I might.) It has a good complete story. The immersion is there, you will really feel the sheperds' struggle to win the war and end the fighting. I never got bored playing it and I want to progress cuz I love the story so much. It's the reason why I have a 2nd playthrough right now cuz I kinda rushed things on my 1st playthrough.

Graphics 10/10:
    As a portable game, this game has a very good graphics. It's one of the best. Some terrains may look low-res but when your 3D is on. Dayum, it just looks fascinating and beautiful. You cannot see their feet though. Each character has their own design and look so all of them are unique. Animations are smooth too.

Gameplay 10/10:
    It's simple, just like any other SRPG but it's just so awesome to watch. It has 3 different angles to watch how your character kills the enemy. It's just so fun to look at. You have different classes, from beginner's class to advanced class with different skill set as you level up so it's fun to grind the enemies and get level up so you can build the ultimate weapon on your team. You also have a lot of characters to play with. Though be careful not to let them get killed since if you're a fan of the franchise, you know that the game's default is permanent death.

Sound/Dialogue 8/10:
    I've played the game with 2 different languages. I like the japanese more. This maybe the lowest score that I will give on this game since I find it annoying how the popout sounds when they're having a dialogue. Like "Hey" "Uh." hehehehe". I just find it annoying and I would really love it if they have voiced all of the dialogues which is hard because the game is based on your decisions so it's not linear.

Replay Value 10/10:
    Try marrying everyone on the game, it'd be fun. though most dialogues on the game are common but some are really special. I really want to see all of their S support. But that would probably take me a lot of playthrough. So that's enough said. The replay value is so high because I love the support dialogues.

Note: Don't let your character marry someone until you get all the characters. xD

Final Verdict: 9.4/10
  24. Aug 22, 2014
    I love this game I can spend all day reading getting everyone in the game to A support with each other and the battle are fun and I really enjoy a stagy game with actual character instead of customization soldiers.
  25. Sep 1, 2013
    Wow, just Wow, this game honors the fire emblem saga, beautiful story line, characters, CHARACTERIZATION, the game play, the tactics the challenge. Definitively a must play for 3ds, Do play it if you are not familiar with the series. The wedding/having kids detail is new and well placed.
  26. Jul 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:
    - Great Strategy Game
    - Accessible to New Comers (Like Myself)
    - Astronomical Amount of Play Time (When including DLC and Side Missions)
    - Great Character Interaction

Cons:
    - Easy to Lose Interest
    - Uses of Cliches (MC having amnesia, Characters Stereotyping, etc.)
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    Extremely good game for being on a handheld. Is mostly perfect for what it tries to be. Offers a satisfying amount of customization making the game really feel like your experience. Level design is very solid. Strategy is heavily implemented, making later levels challenging but not frustrating. The implementation of casual mode fixes the issue of units not dying forever and instead. TheExtremely good game for being on a handheld. Is mostly perfect for what it tries to be. Offers a satisfying amount of customization making the game really feel like your experience. Level design is very solid. Strategy is heavily implemented, making later levels challenging but not frustrating. The implementation of casual mode fixes the issue of units not dying forever and instead. The graphics are very well done for 3DS standards. The art style is based on anime similar to previous entries in the series. All of the characters are highly developed and inevitably create a pseudo-bond between you and the character. The story is a little blurred, but if you can withstand the long segments of only dialogue, a wholly inspired and at times emotional tale is present. My only real gripe is that the game drags on just a little too long. However that's just a personal gripe. This is the #1 game to have for 3DS at the moment. Hopefully this game will finally popularize the Fire Emblem series, finally giving it the attention it deserves. Expand
  28. Oct 1, 2013
    I am really impressed with the graphic, especially the field weather effects. I have other fire emblem series game experience but personally didn't really like the game system but this awakening is really great with option choosing between classic and casual mode. The only problem and why I cannot give this game score 10 is the voice. It would be even better if it had more voice in theI am really impressed with the graphic, especially the field weather effects. I have other fire emblem series game experience but personally didn't really like the game system but this awakening is really great with option choosing between classic and casual mode. The only problem and why I cannot give this game score 10 is the voice. It would be even better if it had more voice in the dialogue but this part, I don't really care since it still has quite acceptable amount of voice. But the problem is the voice bug where the voice language setting keeps going back to the default (English) whenever user soft-reset or restart the game. I have to change it to English once and back to Japanese every time I start the game. Why I am really upset is because of the fact that they are aware of this bug and still no plan for a patch no matter how it is not only annoying but also very dangerous since the voice language select menu is located right next to "WIPE DATA" menu. Expand
  29. Aug 9, 2013
    The best game I've found for the DS to date. Wonderful from start to finish. Easy to pick up, challenging end game, and fun side battles in between. As a bonus for some of us, it takes great advantage of the XL screen(s). 2 thumbs up.
  30. Aug 20, 2013
    This game is Amazing, Hands down it is the best 3DS game out there, if you have a 3DS and don't have this game, get it, NOW. Almost everything about this game is perfect, The animation, the writing the strategy, and the basic but complicated game-play is so much fun. Every character has their own little quirk that makes them interesting and because of this every character felt unique,This game is Amazing, Hands down it is the best 3DS game out there, if you have a 3DS and don't have this game, get it, NOW. Almost everything about this game is perfect, The animation, the writing the strategy, and the basic but complicated game-play is so much fun. Every character has their own little quirk that makes them interesting and because of this every character felt unique, there were never any characters that felt unnecessary in the game. One part that I found quite surprising was the story, most JRPG stories are convoluted and usually don't make any sense, but fire emblem's story is pretty basic (Storyline is essentially Kill the evil king, slay the dragon and collect the magical gems to power your MacGuffin) however a big twist in the story right around the Half-Way point (Don't worry I won't ruin it for you) helps keep you entertained by it, this game also features some story telling elements that aren't normally done in fantasy. Basically in the end I personally love every thing about this game, the only problem I had was wondering how Nintendo and Intelligent Systems will top themselves next time, it seems like they put all their ideas and thoughts into this game and I really hope that they don't run out of ideas before the next game in the series. Expand

1. Jun 13, 2013
    A truly excellent tactical role-playing game. [June 2013]
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    Ignore Casual mode, set the difficulty to hard, and enjoy what is arguably the best turn-based strategy game released since Final Fantasy Tactics. [July 2013, p.76]
  3. May 19, 2013
    A great turn-based strategy game surpassing not only its blood-related predecessors but step-brothers and step-sisters of the Advance Wars series as well. Fire Emblem: Awakening is the new benchmark of the genre that is practically uncriticizable. At the moment on Nintendo 3DS there is not a better alternative.