8.2

1. Feb 26, 2013
    This is an excellent game, basically a love letter to Sunsoft's Batman on the old-school Gameboy, it's just about a perfect game...really cheap too...the soundtrack deserves special mention.

The best platform game on the 3DS store and at a fraction of the cost of most.
  2. Jul 13, 2013
    Essential game to play on the 3DS, the trailer convinced me to buy it instantly. Great humor and gameplay, for an added challenge complete it on duckmode, it's brilliant. I would have paid more for this game so it is such a bargain for how great it is. I hope the creator makes more games in future.
  3. Aug 15, 2014
    the theme it represents is fantastic and unique
    the gaming community needed something like it
    the visuals can't look better than this specially with the 3D effects
    the only negative here is: the game's too short
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    This was my first eShop game, and it's just perfect. The music, the difficult, the visuals.. i loved every bit of it. It makes you wonder why so many games on eShop are so expensive, and can't give you as much fun as this.
  5. Mar 18, 2013
    This game is extremely well made, and so charming. It's a Western-themed side-scrolling platformer with some run and gun action in the mix. The visuals are phenomenal, and while the 3D doesn't add much, everything looks awesome. The one thing that stands above everything else is the music. The music is just so darn good. It's a mix between Zelda, the Old West, and a little bit of Donkey Kong 64 in there. I would definitely buy the soundtrack. I also really liked the difficulty of the game. I played it on normal, and it was challenging enough that I died numerous times, but I beat the levels eventually. I can only imagine how Hard is. The closing levels are also great. I loved the sort-of-twist at the end. I definitely recommend this game. Expand
  6. Aug 4, 2013
    Other than the fact that this game is so short. It is a MUST HAVE for the 3DS.

The fact that it costs like 2 Euro (2 Dollars, not sure exactly, but something like that) on the E-Shop must make it the most price worthy thing Nintendo.

If you are reading this review and do not have the game, there is no reason to keep reading, just GO BUY IT ALREADY!

7. Jun 29, 2013
    Although this game lacks in length, the content contained is phenomenal, and definitely worth trying, it definitely fits that $1.99 price tag as well. It also shares an uncanny resemblance to Mega Man, and has parts that may be recognized in other games. The 3D is great, the character(s), the levels, they are all great, but sometimes the levels may be slightly tedious. Overall, 8.2/10
  8. Jan 9, 2013
    Gunman clive is western themed platformer that incorporates elements from games like mega man and other platformers that make it a solid experience with tight controls, fun levels and a cool style. It is a good short experience that reminds you about the basic aspect that makes game fun, gameplay.
  9. Jan 7, 2014
    With a price tag of $1.99, Gunman Clive is a great game for any 3DS owner. The gameplay is a platforming shooter similar to Mega Man, with various other similarities to other games. While the 3D isn't needed, it helps enhance the game and makes the western pencil style graphics look even better. The music works very well, fitting the each level and the western style of this game. Level design is very good, and progressively gets harder as you go on. The only major problem is that Gunman Clive is too short, but is excellent in all other aspects. Expand
  10. Sep 1, 2014
    A great fun and beautiful download from the eshop. Oh and it’s only £2.

The gameplay in Gunman Clive is pretty basic. You can run, jump, and shoot. That is all, you can only run at one speed and you can only shoot in one direction (a straight line forward). It’s polished to perfection however with your character feeling very solid to control (if a little slow) and shooting bad guys a
    very satisfying experience. The platforming is well done and I liked the subtly varied level design. The game is very short (I finished it in around one and a half hours) but that is to be expected from such a cheap asking price.

Where the game really stands out is it’s unique sketchbook visual style which is stunning. One of the most beautiful games on the 3DS. The music ain’t half bad either, and when you consider this whole thing was made by one guy, it’s all rather darn impressive. Highly recommended if you’ve got a couple of quid and fancy an awesome 1.5 to 2 hour game.
  11. May 24, 2013
    A bit on a simple side, but for only 2 bucks (even 1,5 if you got it during a promotion) it is worth giving a shot. Difficulty modes are a bit disappointing, seeing as the only thing that separates normal from hard is the amount of health you start with (the number of enemies etc. stays exactly the same) On a good side art style and music are absolutely excellent, while the stages (with a few hilarious plot twists here and there) are varied enough to keep your interest. A purchase worth considering. Expand
  12. May 21, 2013
    What do you get when you mix Mega Man with Sunset Raiders? If you answered "a retro gamer's paradise", well, you're right. But more specifically, we get Gunman Clive, a charming platformer with rather unique graphics.

Playing as Clive or Ms. Johnson, you'll make your way through western-themed stages, shooting opposing gunmen and wild animals, hopping on moving platforms, and defeating
    quite impressive bosses (boss #2 is particularly funny the first time you come across it). It's a sweet experience that will likely get you glued to your 3DS from start to finish.

The main problem is that it will undoubtedly leave you wanting more. Stages are almost always too short, and generally too easy (although the difficulty kinda picks up later on). Yes, with its 20 stages, it's about as short as some of the old games it pays tribute to. But those games had the benefit of the Game Over screen, which has all but vanished these days. Gunman Clive would undoubtedly benefit from a limited amount of lives, since it would require a lot more practice to beat the game. And we all know finishing a game for the first time is way more enticing than replaying it with a new character.

Another unfortunate characteristic is that, while the scribbled-on-a-piece-of-paper graphics are very charming, sometimes the background color could use some change. For example: in the mine stages, maybe it could turn into a darkest shade of its light brown. While riding the train under the desert's searing sun, it could get even lighter. This would help cement a sense of immersion, which is already slightly dampened by the short lenght of the stages.

Still, Gunman Clive is and is absurdly fun while it lasts. Its price is also unbelievably low; I bought it for the equivalent of $1.50 on the e-Shop. It's one neat little package that you wouldn't want to miss out on, even if you'll end up hoping that the developers come up with a sequel to expand on its great potential in the near future.

1. Jul 23, 2013
    A stunning masterpiece of a platform game, with so many different styles that are well loved from over the years, all tightly pieced together and expertly delivered by a developer with a clear strong talent in this genre.
  2. Mar 24, 2013
    A small but perfectly formed gem. [Apr 2013, p.83]
  3. The game is undeniably lovingly made, but it's also disappointing brief. It's - yep - the fastest fun in the west.