Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning 3DS

• Publisher: Natsume
  • Release Date: Nov 6, 2012
8.2

1. Apr 23, 2014
    The tutorial is a month long in game time. Played the first 5 days and then put it down for 2 months as I was so bored. The game pace definitely picks up after the first month (make sure you hoard as much as you can, it really speeds things up later on). Money isn't a real issue in this game, you're mostly fulfilling requirements for Town Restorations with items you find. The game reallyThe tutorial is a month long in game time. Played the first 5 days and then put it down for 2 months as I was so bored. The game pace definitely picks up after the first month (make sure you hoard as much as you can, it really speeds things up later on). Money isn't a real issue in this game, you're mostly fulfilling requirements for Town Restorations with items you find. The game really rewards you for hoarding!

I just don't like the Edit Mode, so clunky and time consuming. They really could have utilized the touch screen in this area. I find myself spending too much time just trying to put a building in a correct spot, or having to exit just to run back into town to get rid of a sapling.

The graphics are lovely. however a little too simplistic for me. The grass could have benefited from some texturing. Music is okay. One track for each season with a few different tracks for events and some locations. Cut-scenes are incredibly annoying after the first few times.

The farming aspect is incredibly improved from FoMT, although I find it somewhat of a chore after a while. The speed at which you use tools, pick up crops, harvest wheat etc... is a little too slow for me, and does not compare to that of Rune Factory 4. Also, he menu system isn't bad but still not as streamlined as I would have hoped.

The game is very slow, however it is packed full of redeeming features and rewarding later on. It's fun trying to woo your future spouse and the farming is generally fun. It's a game that won't necessarily 'wow' you, but worth the money and enjoyable nonetheless. Looking forward to the next one!
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's not the best Harvest Moon, but certainly not the worst. The game starts of really slow, but once you get into it , its fun and addicting. The reason I gave it a five out of ten is mostly because of all the materials in the game you have to find are extremely hard to locate even when you get the mine. Like to build the inn you need "glass stone" which is extremely rare to find on your own, unless you find someone to trade with. In Harvest Moon: A New Beginning many things are different such the ability to build,change clothes if you have the materials to make them, change your hair, and in the game your character will pick up an item and immediately put it away. Like in Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar the ability to jump is given to the player once more, however you cannot jump on cows or animals or into the water. Overall its a great game, if you have the patience to complete it. Town Restoration Plans that the mayor or whatever Dunhill calls himself may take on 2 or 3 years to complete. It may even take you 5 or 6 years in the game to actually finish it. It may take the player 2 or 3 years to get married. The new system allows the player to go on dates by giving their preferred bachelor/bachelorette a ring, sometimes if the bachelor/bachelorettes heart isn't high enough they will reject the ring. If you feel up to the task or are a fan of the games go out and buy it! Expand

1. Feb 18, 2014
    It isn't without its faults in presentation, control and the opening few hours, but does offer one of the most comprehensive experiences to date - great for newcomers and series veterans alike.
  2. games(TM)
    Nov 14, 2013
    None of this is entirely new. [Issue#141, p.122]
  3. Oct 29, 2013
    This can be the alternative that some players seek to Animal Crossing.