Kid Icarus: Uprising 3DS

8.7

1. Jul 18, 2012
    This is one of the only games I really struggled with on the system so far. It's a great game and definitely one of the best on the system, but I eventually lost all patience with the ground control. I never got used to the horrible design of it, even though I worked out a passable method to at least give me a good chance of clearing every level. The problem was I didn't enjoy the feel ofThis is one of the only games I really struggled with on the system so far. It's a great game and definitely one of the best on the system, but I eventually lost all patience with the ground control. I never got used to the horrible design of it, even though I worked out a passable method to at least give me a good chance of clearing every level. The problem was I didn't enjoy the feel of it and still managed to die because of how frustrating it was to play those sections. If there was an option to just exclude every ground section of the game, or at least put it on rails similar to the flight sections, this could've been one of my favorite games. It's excellent in every other way, especially in replay value and loot collecting. I can only hope if they come out with a #2 that they will address the awkward ground movement or exclude it from the game entirely. If the point of the game were to overcome the terrible control design, then I know whatever category this game falls in definitely isn't for me. It's a shame because I really wanted to like all the other great features. I'm even a big fan of the original and glad I at least got the 3D classic Kid Icarus. Just try before you buy. Expand
  2. Apr 15, 2012
    I give it a 60 rating because it is very hard but I have been playing lots of games in the past and it is so so with this game it's pretty easy because you can make it so you can have what ever intensity you want easy/standard/medium/hard this game was not worth getting. except for the stand which comes in handy so you do not have to hold it so long
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    My main issue is with the controls. I never got on with them. Clumsy and fiddly and never mastered. Maybe it was me. Still, it's good looking enough and the story is ok. I hope they make another with more traditional controls
  4. Apr 12, 2013
    Interesting, but has some glaring flaws. To start off, this game's production value was huge and it shows. The graphics, the voice acting and the music are as close to perfect as it gets. Multiplayer is amazingly fun and easily the best thing about this game, even if it's a little tough to get into (the players are very skilled). Cannot say the same about single, unfortunately. The stages,Interesting, but has some glaring flaws. To start off, this game's production value was huge and it shows. The graphics, the voice acting and the music are as close to perfect as it gets. Multiplayer is amazingly fun and easily the best thing about this game, even if it's a little tough to get into (the players are very skilled). Cannot say the same about single, unfortunately. The stages, while beautiful, are way too short, simple and linear. Boss battles are piss easy on anything but highest difficulty settings. I know the same could be said about many games these days, but KI:U really takes it to another level it literally takes between 30-40 seconds to fall a single Boss, which I find to be pretty lame. Get it if you're looking for a fun multiplayer experience, but if you're more of a singles person it is probably better to try something else. Expand
  5. Mar 21, 2013
    This game is an all out mixed bag. First off, the game play is fun, and feels like a good 3rd person shooter. The story is interesting, yet a good 80% of the dialogue is cringe worthy "humor." The controls are bad for newcomers, yet once you master them, they are ok. The level design and musical cues are epic. If you want a game that fun in short burst, a good holdover game to playThis game is an all out mixed bag. First off, the game play is fun, and feels like a good 3rd person shooter. The story is interesting, yet a good 80% of the dialogue is cringe worthy "humor." The controls are bad for newcomers, yet once you master them, they are ok. The level design and musical cues are epic. If you want a game that fun in short burst, a good holdover game to play when you feel like you had too much fun with the other games. If you want, one of the best game ever, I reccamend staying away from the game. I say, try the game, than decide for your self, because some people will love it, and some will hate it. I say get it once the price is at $20 or less Expand
  6. Jun 10, 2015
    Kid Icarus: Uprising does have a few flaws that stop it from being the best 3DS game. For one, the default controls DO take a bit of time to get used to, but I hear you an change them. Also, (and this is more major), the gameplay just feels overly simple. It's just not interesting enough (this especially shows during the Sky Battles) to be the highlight of the game (which is too bad,Kid Icarus: Uprising does have a few flaws that stop it from being the best 3DS game. For one, the default controls DO take a bit of time to get used to, but I hear you an change them. Also, (and this is more major), the gameplay just feels overly simple. It's just not interesting enough (this especially shows during the Sky Battles) to be the highlight of the game (which is too bad, because gameplay is VERY, VERY IMPORTANT IN A GAME). With that being said, I still enjoy the game and would recommend it to fans. The graphics are gorgeous (possibly the best on the 3DS) and it subconsciously makes me like the game better. The story is generic and unoriginal in the first act, but gets more interesting afterwards (no spoilers). But let's be honest, the main reason this game is such a cult classic is the characters. Where do I start? Well, first, even the minor characters have lots of personality, and the characters that are major also have personality, but are also more well-developed. The characters' charm makes the game very funny at times. All in all, I'd suggest you should play it (although the price should definitely be dropped). Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2015
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is a hotpot (or hodgepodge, if you like) of good and bad, light and darkness, in keeping with its narrative themes. The most enjoyable feature by far is the pace and cinematic extravagance of the on-rail shooter sections which make up half the content. They deftly blend swelling music, sweeping vistas and quickfire dialogue as Pit the angel is blown, spun and buffetedKid Icarus: Uprising is a hotpot (or hodgepodge, if you like) of good and bad, light and darkness, in keeping with its narrative themes. The most enjoyable feature by far is the pace and cinematic extravagance of the on-rail shooter sections which make up half the content. They deftly blend swelling music, sweeping vistas and quickfire dialogue as Pit the angel is blown, spun and buffeted for miles on end, through canyons, crevices and constellations. Poseidon splits the sea for him. Massed armies fire at him from the ground. Fortresses yield their hidden apertures. And all the time, the player is busily engaged with gunning down and dodging, while Pit's employer, the goddess Palutena, alternates between teasing quips, tactical talk and exposition duties. Later in the game, other characters join in the radio banter, and it's half-rollercoaster, half-sitcom.

The script and voice-acting are stellar by the standards of other video games, perfectly acceptable by any other standard. Since the plot is a feather-light series of fantasy cartoon tropes, the only real bar the characters have to clear is to be likeable and entertaining. With the odd exception, they achieve this. Phyrrhon the god-who-thinks-he's-a-champion-of-justice is a particular favourite of mine.

Special mention should go to the way difficulty is managed. You can start a level at any 'intensity' from 2.0 to 9.0, paying in hearts (the in-game currency) to push the meter up. The higher you go, the harder the stage and the greater the reward. When you die, it knocks you down a difficulty but starts you at a recent checkpoint. So while dying costs you hearts and lowers the rewards you can claim, you never have to start the whole level again.

Of middling quality are the enemies. In terms of their mechanics, they offer a decent enough challenge, with an array of different weaknesses to be exploited. But visually, they're a slapdash batch of half-baked conceits, seemingly imported from a time when platform games rained down any old **** on the player.

Now onto the grimier stuff. The on-foot sections that make up the other half of the game rely far too heavily on enforced 'arena' battles. That is to say, the game regularly traps you in a small space with no cover while waves of enemies materialise out of thin air, only opening the gates when you've defeated them all. This would be a more tolerable feature if the controls were more agreeable, but I'll come onto them later.

There are a handful of optional vehicle sections. All the vehicles handle poorly and are hardly any fun at all, which is very disappointing. The Exo Tank in particular steers like an oil tanker.

The weapons system is actually perfectly decent and fairly diverting, but is far more limited than the publicity around the game leads one to believe. All the weapons behave almost identically - they fire continuous fast projectiles, can charge up for a more powerful single shot, are used for melee attacks when an enemy is nearby, and let loose a burst when used in conjunction with dashing. The difference is largely in the stats - range, power (at different ranges), speed, charge time, and so on. There are few exceptions, such as bouncing or explosive shots, but after a while they all seem to blend into one. As you earn or buy more weapons, you'll want to fuse them together to create even more powerful weapons, and it becomes mostly a numbers game, rather than having anything to do with styles of play of 'game feel'.

I suppose the weapons system would feel slightly more tactical if you could take two or more into a level with you and switch between them, but as it is you have to opt for the same one for handling every type of enemy the game throws at you. Your sniper-rifle-like laser staff will let you down when you're trapped in a corner at close quarters, while your wolf claws will have you haring back and forth to reach each adversary.

Dishonorable mention goes to the health system. At fixed points, you will find fruit or hot springs to revive your flagging strength, but these often turn up at the most inopportune points, when you're already close to full health, while there are long, punishing sections with not a melon or apple in sight. Oh for portable health kits!

Finally, then, the controls. They are awful. Never mind the strain it puts on hands, back, eyes or all three by making you use your left hand to move, fire and support the whole system while your right hand hovers and swipes; the real problem is that the 3DS touch screen is used for both moving the aiming reticule *and* moving the camera. How does it know which you want to do? Well, it seems to guess. This means you cannot turn round quickly or accurately, even as enemies appear behind and to the side. Worse still, you have to *fight* the camera as it moves on its own to offer dramatic angles. Circle-strafing makes the whole thing go haywire, and getting behind an enemy to target their weak spot is ludicrously difficult.
  8. Mar 24, 2012
    I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time and I love my 3ds. I've been eagerly awaiting Uprising since it was first revealed. I became skeptical of the game when reading early build previews for it, all of them complained about the controls. I thought that it was simply a case of critics whining over nothing and hating on Nintendo. After buying this game however, I found out that they areI've been a Nintendo fan for a long time and I love my 3ds. I've been eagerly awaiting Uprising since it was first revealed. I became skeptical of the game when reading early build previews for it, all of them complained about the controls. I thought that it was simply a case of critics whining over nothing and hating on Nintendo. After buying this game however, I found out that they are correct. The controls practically ruin this game. Which is a real shame, because it is an absolutely fantastic game. You can go read other reviews to find out about the awesome content in this game, which there is an abundance, what I'm hear to talk about is something that reviewers have been acknowledging but haven't talked about in depth: the controls. Simply put, its damn near impossible to get Pit to do what you want him to do (especially on the ground). I've been told that their is a learning curve, but I'm on chapter 9 and have put in several hours online and the controls still aren't passable for me. The two biggest problems are dashing and controlling the reticule/camera. Dashing is a hit and miss, and you have to smash the circle pad extremely hard. Expect to wear down your circle pad if you play this game, it will most likely destroy the analog input over time. I will say that you will get better at the controls over time, but the problem lies within the controls themselves rather than the adapting period. Even if you can adapt to the controls, they're still wonky at best. Now, I used to own a DS LIte and played the hell out of Metroid Prime Hunters, I assumed that this would be similar. Unfortunately, that isn't so for three reasons: third person viewing, analog input (dashing especially, the whole game hinges on being able to dash), and how the camera is moved. THIS IS NOT LIKE MPH, if it was it would have been manageble. I think the third person view is what really screws it. Instead of moving just your reticule to both aim and move the camera like in MPH, you have to use two separate types of motion in uprising. Fast slashes to move the camera and slow drags to move the reticule. You can rarely even move the camera while in the reticule moving mode, it just stays within that window. I have no idea why they made it this way, but I'm guessing its because the aiming reticule would have been too sensitive for this type of shooter if they had done it like MPH. So in short, basically avoid this game. I that that's a very dissapointing thing to hear, believe me I'm dissapointed too. But this game's controls are so aweful that it is truly hard to get any enjoyment out of it, especially on the ground portions (which is the majority of the game). Nintendo really needs to re-design the 3ds with dual analog sticks, the touch screen works best for inventory like gameplay. Not trying to use a tiny stylus on a to aim a tiny reticule on a tiny ass bottom screen. It just simply doesn't work well. This game will unfortunately flop. Hopefully Nintendo gets the message, we love new/revised franchises but only use "innovative" control schemes that work (i.e. Skyward Sword). With so many other great titles on 3ds, you'd be better off to save your money for games like Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 3d land, Mario Kart 7, Resident Evil Revelations, Mutant Mudds, Pushmo, and even Snake Eater 3d. Just don't rush into the Uprising purchase like I did. If you're seriously considering buying it, at least play it first so you know what it will be like. Because it's not like MPH and it's nothing like a proper dual analog input game. This just proves how important controls are. A fantastic game with fantastic content, game structure, graphics, sound, depth..... as a matter of fact EVERYTHING is damn near fantastic, except the controls. What an absolute waste, a great game that you can't play because IT IS BROKEN. Collapse

1. Jun 27, 2012
    No doubt in my mind, 3DS owners should have Kid Icarus: Uprising in their library of games, especially if action games are a favorite.
  2. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Nintendo magic strikes again, if you can adapt to the controls. [June 2012, p.68]
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2012
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is an underdog tale: how an action game can be thoroughly enjoyable even when it suffers from some severe control problems. [May 2012]