Kid Icarus: Uprising 3DS

8.7

1. Apr 12, 2016
    This game is one of the best shooters of Nintendo. If it would be only that, I would had give it a 7, but the conversations between the characters makes you feel happy and you laugh a lot. That's why this game must have a 10
  2. Mar 27, 2016
    The controls are the only thing that makes this game less than a 10. Amazing multiplayer minus typical Nintendo lag, great story, hilarious characters, diverse weapons, the list goes on. Difficulty scaling is very good, 2.0 is just right for more casuals while 9.0 is hellish enough to keep hardcore guys happy. The monotony of the level structure (almost being a perfect copy/paste of airThe controls are the only thing that makes this game less than a 10. Amazing multiplayer minus typical Nintendo lag, great story, hilarious characters, diverse weapons, the list goes on. Difficulty scaling is very good, 2.0 is just right for more casuals while 9.0 is hellish enough to keep hardcore guys happy. The monotony of the level structure (almost being a perfect copy/paste of air battle then land battle) was drowned out by a Legend of Zelda-level soundtrack and Palutena's witty dialogue. In some games, out-of-time-period references like this cast makes would feel weird, but they keep it lighthearted and humorous enough to pull it off. It also has a ton of glorious one-liners, such as "Big monsters kill Pit grr!" and "When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade." Incredible plot twists. Well designed side-characters. And as much heat as the control scheme gets, its both adjustable and surprisingly natural once you put a little time into it. Overall, this is an utterly fantastic piece and I can't what *$%(#*, %^)*$&(#! and %^**)) have up their sleave for the sequel. (The number of characters are right, see if you can guess who I mean ;P no spoilers here!) Expand
  3. Feb 21, 2016
    Whatever's popping out of my mind right now when reviewing this game, I call it the best return for a Nintendo franchise ever since leaving it in the dust.
  4. Jul 4, 2015
    One of the best action games on the 3DS. While the controls can be iffy without taking the time to get used to them, it isn't really a negative with this game. The air mode is wonderful, and the land mode is also pretty good. The variety of locations and missions + the large range of selectable difficulty levels allows both casuals and elites to have fun in this game without losingOne of the best action games on the 3DS. While the controls can be iffy without taking the time to get used to them, it isn't really a negative with this game. The air mode is wonderful, and the land mode is also pretty good. The variety of locations and missions + the large range of selectable difficulty levels allows both casuals and elites to have fun in this game without losing anything. The great trophy system (makes me spend my play coins for a good reason), cool achievements (more than one pic!) and solid online and LAN multiplayer makes this game have really high replay value. While the story clocks in at around 10-15 hours, there's so much other stuff to do afterwards that ugh... just wonderful. I highly recommend getting this game somehow.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
    Story: 8.5/10
    Music: 9/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 8.5/10
    Overall: 9/10
  5. Jul 3, 2015
    Coming from Super Smash Bros. and Kirby series director Masahiro Sakurai, this game was destined to be great. Being one of the few revivals of a classic series that deserved and needed it, this game takes a new perspective on the franchise, adding in great humor, plot twists, and many other things to make the game truly unique. The story begins with Pit and Palutena finding out thatComing from Super Smash Bros. and Kirby series director Masahiro Sakurai, this game was destined to be great. Being one of the few revivals of a classic series that deserved and needed it, this game takes a new perspective on the franchise, adding in great humor, plot twists, and many other things to make the game truly unique. The story begins with Pit and Palutena finding out that Medusa, the villain from the original NES game, has been mysteriously revived. Thus Pit is sent on a mission to find out why and how she is alive again. As for game play, the game is essentially a third-person shooter, with some awkward controls, but you can get used to them in about 3 chapters. As for music, it is amazing. Having many orchestral pieces, with the occasional guitar thrown in. In all, the game is amazing. 10/10 indefinitely, and a title that everyone should, but probably not, play. Definitely pick it up if you want to play a game in the series. Expand
  6. May 25, 2015
    This game has everything I want. I love it's graphics, the 3D effects, it has my favorite soundtrack of all time, the gameplay is perfect, it has plenty of content, the weapon system is very deep, the multiplayer is fun any time, the plot was great, the dialogue is great, and the controls were amazing. I don't think this game would work with any other type of controls and I feel bad forThis game has everything I want. I love it's graphics, the 3D effects, it has my favorite soundtrack of all time, the gameplay is perfect, it has plenty of content, the weapon system is very deep, the multiplayer is fun any time, the plot was great, the dialogue is great, and the controls were amazing. I don't think this game would work with any other type of controls and I feel bad for people who couldn't adjust to them so that they could enjoy them for what they were. I think this is the best 3DS game still as of May 2015 and it was definitely my game of the year for 2012. This game will forever go down as one of my favorite games of all time and I hope it's never forgotten by others. It deserves the highest praise possible. I love this game. Expand
  7. Apr 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never had this much fun with the 3DS in my life! Kid Icarus: Uprising has everything a gamer would want! To start off, the controls are really good and I didn't my hands cramped at all. The bosses are great and challenging too. There are soooo many weapons to choose from and each weapon you pick up will have extra stats and buffs, making the replay value LIMITLESS! The overall gameplay is blood-pumping and will always keep you on your toes when in singleplayer or multiplayer. Speaking of that, it's really good and I never encountered any lag. The best parts about this game are easily the characters and dialogue. All the cast members are more unique than the last and always put up a good laugh. This ESPECIALLY goes for Hades! I would say that this game is near perfect and one of my all-time favorites. And if they release a sequel on the Wii U, I would buy it in a heartbeat! Expand
  8. Mar 13, 2015
    I feel bad for the people who can't adjust to the ground control. Everything thing about this game is so much fun. The flying levels give you that sense of speed and intensity, the boss battles are challenging and creative without being unfair, the level design is top notch. The game gives you enough variety to constantly keep you coming back to it. On top of that there is an extremelyI feel bad for the people who can't adjust to the ground control. Everything thing about this game is so much fun. The flying levels give you that sense of speed and intensity, the boss battles are challenging and creative without being unfair, the level design is top notch. The game gives you enough variety to constantly keep you coming back to it. On top of that there is an extremely deep weapon system and a very fun multiplayer. Oh yeah and the music is some of the best I've ever heard. Must own title on the 3ds. One of the very few games I aspire to complete 100%. (Buy it on the virtual console though it's pretty cheap compared to ebay and amazon) Expand
  9. Feb 16, 2015
    What a wonderful surprise this game was. I guess the "hardest" part would be the controls, but honestly, I got used to them fairly quick. I have large hands and it wasn't a problem on my 3DS XL. Oh, and I should mention I'm left-handed, too. Really, I was able to get used to it really fast...

But the game itself is awesome. Beautiful visuals. A TON of customization and re-playability. Solid online play. Hell, even the quirky voice acting is top notch. At first I thought it would get annoying, but its deprecating nature and tendency to break the fourth wall actually make for a very charming and dare I say sometimes hilarious experience.

Kid Icarus is one of those games that is simply satisfying to play, while staying challenging the whole time. This is one of the best games in my 3DS collection. Highly highly recommended!
  10. Feb 6, 2015
    This game is sadly underrated. Which is impressive, as an 83 Metacritic score still solid... but this game should be mid to high 90s. It has everything! A great single player campaign, very well laid out difficulty levels (that really do challenge even the best players), a very wide range of weapons that completely change the game experience across multiple play throughs, a greatThis game is sadly underrated. Which is impressive, as an 83 Metacritic score still solid... but this game should be mid to high 90s. It has everything! A great single player campaign, very well laid out difficulty levels (that really do challenge even the best players), a very wide range of weapons that completely change the game experience across multiple play throughs, a great weapon/gear rewards system that keeps you playing for more, and a fantastic online multiplayer. The one beef everyone has is with the control scheme.... but this is what makes the game great! I am completely sympathetic to people who get hand cramps from playing, but they are in the minority... and it is unfair to dock a game for this when dual analogue would 100% NOT be viable in this game. The current control scheme allows for ridiculously fast and precise movements that would simply not be possible with dual analogue. I have put 150+ hours into this game, and cramping has never been an issue. Anyways, this... for me... is THE BEST game on the 3ds. Do yourself a favour and try it out! Expand
  11. Jan 23, 2015
    This game is without a doubt the best portable game I've ever played. The graphics, music, level design, gameplay, story, voice acting, multiplayer, and characters are all flawless. The only major problem I can think of are the controls (which stop being a problem when you get used to them). Any other flaws I can think of are just nit-picks. If you've got a 3DS, get this game!
  12. Jan 11, 2015
    I wasn't really expecting much going into Kid Icarus: Uprising but boy, was I blown out of the water! I was really impressed by the game's quality!

The story is very engaging and it's possibly one of the best parts of the game alongside the clever, witty, and at times downright hilarious dialogue. The characters and their personalities are the main reasons for the dialogue being so funny as you can find ways to actually sympathize with the characters and be both scared and sad for them.

The gameplay itself is great. All of the levels (with the exception of one or two) are split into air and land battles. Air battles are better in my opinion as land battles can sometimes have a weird camera view. That's not to say the land battles are bad, I just think the air battles with their fast action and amazing visuals are a bit better.

The Fiend's Cauldron is the difficulty setting-like thing in the game. The more hearts you place into the cauldron, the higher the difficulty. The thing is, if you die on the difficulty once, the level goes down and you lose most of the hearts you bet. I wish the difficulty would just stay on the one I set it at instead of going down. Some of the challenges in the game (similar to the Super Smash Bros. Brawl's challenge board) require you to play on certain levels and you can't do this if you keep dying.

Many people complain about the controls but I personally have had no problem with them. They are very simple to use and it actually makes you feel more immersed in the experience than if you were just wildly pressing buttons. There's also online multiplayer in the game but I only tried it a few times. I found it to be quite confusing and a bit too crazy for my tastes.

Overall, Kid Icarus: Uprising is another stellar 3DS game and another great game created by Masahiro Sakurai! The story, dialogue, and gameplay are amazing even if the difficulty setup and online features are lacking.
  13. Dec 22, 2014
    FANTASTIC! Kid Icarus makes a return after decades and it shows nintendo owns many great ips they havent been using. I highly recommend this game to all 3ds owners who like greek mythology or just want an AWESOME GAME!
  14. Nov 15, 2014
    gr8 game m8, I r8 8/8
    This game is awsome!

Yeah, that's all the review.

Where you expecting more detail? Welp, that's too bad, this game can only be descrived as glorious.

Go buy it.

Now.
  15. Oct 14, 2014
    Great game, packed with content and all... But I just cannot forgive it how tiring it is to play, how chaotic the multiplayer is and how the humor here and there feels a little forced. Still, this is just 2 points down, because the graphics, depth and weapon system are spotless. You should at least check out this game.
  16. Sep 28, 2014
    I think this is the most underrated game for the 3DS. It's really great and close to be perfect. I am a fan of Hack n' Slash games and this one is one of my personal favourite.So many complaints about the control, but it took me short time to get used to it. This is a must for any 3DS owners
  17. Aug 28, 2014
    Anyone complaining about the controls didn't even remotely spend any time with the game.
    This is a masterpiece, the greatest game ever made on a handheld.
    Sakurai created Super Smash bros, Sakurai created Kirby Super Star, and Sakurai created this masterpiece. You need to play this game.
  18. Aug 14, 2014
    yes i know.. the controls may take a little time to master.
    but hey, this could be one of the most addictive games for any 3DS owner
    Gameplay: 9.5 (i took 0.5 out cause of the length of some levels) Graphics: 10 (probably the best I've seen on the 3DS) Soundtracks: 10 (one of the greatest in the history of video games) + a LOT of extras and unlockable weapons and portraits and the
    yes i know.. the controls may take a little time to master.
    but hey, this could be one of the most addictive games for any 3DS owner

Gameplay: 9.5 (i took 0.5 out cause of the length of some levels)
    Graphics: 10 (probably the best I've seen on the 3DS)
    Soundtracks: 10 (one of the greatest in the history of video games)
    + a LOT of extras and unlockable weapons and portraits and the use of game coins.... etc.
  19. Jul 17, 2014
    I REALLY want to give this a 10, but the controls are pretty bad; my hands and wrists get very sore during every play session. Once you get past that, it is a FANTASTIC game.
  20. Jun 8, 2014
    Graphics, gameplay, Bosses. Replay value, depth... Kid Icarus Uprising has it all. Sure the controls are a bit weird at first but within a few hours you will feel comfortable with them and after a week or so you will not be able to imagine playing it any other way.
    The stand that comes with the game is fine but I preferred to not use it. The best method I found was to balance the 3ds on my right pinkie and hold the stylus between the right thumb and index finger. The left hand is business as usual in that thumb controls stick and index fires button.

This game is just an all round wonderful experience and perhaps the most brilliant gaming experience I've had with the 3ds since Fire Emblem and Resident Evil Revelations.

This ones a masterpiece people and Nintendo have once again shown the competition how it's done.
  21. Jun 1, 2014
    best ds game tots in top 5 get like
    #3 Zelda and Pokemon top give it chance awesome game play twists and story line hidden chambers and weapons and idols and treasure hunt so filler for days and multiplayer
  22. May 18, 2014
    Though technically 25 years old, the Icarus franchise hasn't had a new installment in more than 20 years. Its lead character, the angelic Pit, is actually best known for his part in the thrilling chaos that was Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Uprising represents a new start for a forgotten hero from an era long past, and marks yet another significant milestone in the life of the 3DS. Yet again,Though technically 25 years old, the Icarus franchise hasn't had a new installment in more than 20 years. Its lead character, the angelic Pit, is actually best known for his part in the thrilling chaos that was Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Uprising represents a new start for a forgotten hero from an era long past, and marks yet another significant milestone in the life of the 3DS. Yet again, Nintendo proves to its fans and critics that its new portable is capable of hosting some of the best handheld content anywhere. Though not without some significant flaws, Uprising is a fantastic adventure, one that forges a powerful new world for a franchise many never expected to see again. Expand
  23. May 7, 2014
    This was a triumph
    I'm making a note here
    Buy this game It's hard to overstate my satisfaction Now seriously, with the platform, which is included, the controls are perfectly good and stable, the weapons are creative, the story is amazing, the graphics look awesome, I dare to say this is one of the best looking games for the 3DS. If you are a big fan of classic Kid Icarus, you're
    This was a triumph
    I'm making a note here
    Buy this game
    It's hard to overstate my satisfaction
    Now seriously, with the platform, which is included, the controls are perfectly good and stable, the weapons are creative, the story is amazing, the graphics look awesome, I dare to say this is one of the best looking games for the 3DS. If you are a big fan of classic Kid Icarus, you're going to get an epic surprise when you play this, it's really good and funny how most of the characters act exactly as you would expect them to do, and jokes, references and comedy in this game are gold. Buy it. NOW.
  24. May 3, 2014
    Kid Icarus Uprising is a wonderfully created 3rd person shooter AND on rails shooter. The game constantly keeps you on your toes, and you will enjoy every second. The game features the ability to craft your own weapons with special attributes, it's a wonderful touch but after two years I haven't been able to get every weapon in the game. The game WILL ruin the experience for big handed andKid Icarus Uprising is a wonderfully created 3rd person shooter AND on rails shooter. The game constantly keeps you on your toes, and you will enjoy every second. The game features the ability to craft your own weapons with special attributes, it's a wonderful touch but after two years I haven't been able to get every weapon in the game. The game WILL ruin the experience for big handed and left handed gamers, but if you're a right handed and small handed person, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  25. May 2, 2014
    Please do not overlook this game. This is competing for the best game i've played on 3ds and i've played most. The music is amazing, the game structure is fantastic and the level of content is frankly unbelievable. The only disappointing thing about this game is the number of streetpasses i get off other people, shame on you 3DS players! I've put this game to one side as i have so manyPlease do not overlook this game. This is competing for the best game i've played on 3ds and i've played most. The music is amazing, the game structure is fantastic and the level of content is frankly unbelievable. The only disappointing thing about this game is the number of streetpasses i get off other people, shame on you 3DS players! I've put this game to one side as i have so many others i want to complete but it's still calling me back. If you're short on cash and want one game that will last you a year, this could very well be it.... Expand
  26. Apr 16, 2014
    This is a really good game. Lots of people have complained about the controls, but I think that they work well, and that if you're not an idiot, you'll do fine. The story was good, and it had a great plot twist I didn't see coming. One of my favorites on the 3ds so far.
  27. Mar 17, 2014
    This game is wonderful! The controls are a bit strange and I get tired from holding my 3DS with one hand, but the story is full of surprises, the characters are funny and very memorable/lovable, levels can be easy yet challenging, decent multiplayer, overall a very good game.
  28. Dec 8, 2013
    While the controls do take a little getting used to, they work great. The story and dialogue are also well written (for the most part) and the gameplay is fun the whole way through. The multiplayer is also surprisingly good, and the game's replay value is top-notch with the huge multitude of unlockables and weapons, although I wish single-player was a bit longer. Definitely worth buying ifWhile the controls do take a little getting used to, they work great. The story and dialogue are also well written (for the most part) and the gameplay is fun the whole way through. The multiplayer is also surprisingly good, and the game's replay value is top-notch with the huge multitude of unlockables and weapons, although I wish single-player was a bit longer. Definitely worth buying if you're willing get used to the controls. Expand
  29. Nov 28, 2013
    Okay. Kid Icarus was such a forgotten franchise that this seems almost like a new series. And the rebirth of the franchise was definitely quite impressive.

The graphics look great, especially in 3D. The game's story, despite its overly winding path, is entertaining. And the cast of characters is very well done. And I must testify that the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. Voice acting is also great, though the lines get a little too cheesy sometimes.

The controls are the most common complaint, and while I'll admit they're not completely secure, they are tolerable, at least to me. Growing accustomed to them isn't all that hard, and the game is so enjoyable that I've overlooked the control scheme.

Online play is absolutely incredible in this game, despite the framerate problems and occasional D/C. And the weapons fusion system is clever and addicting.

Typically I'm not a fan of action games all that much, but I definitely made an exception for this one. A must-own for 3DS gamers.

+ Incredible soundtrack
    + Very nice reinvention of the Kid Icarus universe
    + Online play is extremely addictive
    + Weapon fusion is an amazing feature

- Controls aren't the greatest
    - Repetitive level design
    - Story attempts too many twists and the dialogue is very cheesy

PRESENTATION: 8.5/10
    LASTING APPEAL: 10/10

Overall Score: 8/10
  30. Nov 18, 2013
    My "Kid Icarus: Uprising" 3DS review:

Basic Overview of the Game: Kid Icarus: Uprising is an action adventure shoot 'em up game for the 3DS. Released March 23, 2012, it is the third installment in the Kid Icarus series. The last two being "Kid Icarus" released on the NES in 1987, and "Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters" released for the Game Boy in November of 1991. Uprising is broken
    My "Kid Icarus: Uprising" 3DS review:

Basic Overview of the Game:
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is an action adventure shoot 'em up game for the 3DS. Released March 23, 2012, it is the third installment in the Kid Icarus series. The last two being "Kid Icarus" released on the NES in 1987, and "Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters" released for the Game Boy in November of 1991. Uprising is broken down into sections for each stage consisting of; an On Rails Shooter section in the air, followed by a Free Movement Shooter section on land, and finished with a boss battle. There are 10+ stages, each being longer than the last. Difficulty/Difficulty progression is handled differently in Uprising. Before entering each stage (Note: Each stage can be revisited as many times as you like), the player has the ability to "bet" their Hearts (Currency) for the ability to earn more rewards in the stage. Betting more Hearts makes the stage more difficult by way of more advanced enemy AI and artificially through Pit (The main protagonist) taking more damage form enemy monsters and bosses. This however allows the player to find better loot, and more Hearts throughout the stage.
    The weapon and upgrade system is progressed through weapon drops in stages from treasure chests. The higher the difficulty you play on, the better the weapons you will find. The player also has the ability to fuse weapons together to make new ones, buy weapons with Hearts, get them from Gems via Streetpass, or as a random drop after online/local multiplayer matches. There are 9 unique types of weapons to unlock, each with their own play style. These weapons can be fused, sold for Hearts, or turned into Gems to be given to someone through Streetpass.
    Also at your command are abilities. These abilities are found in chests just like weapons, and they each do different things. You have a limited number of uses for each ability per stage, but you replenish those upon completion or exiting the stage. These abilities can range from Healing yourself to firing a laser (My personal favorite (Laser OP)).
    Streetpass functionality is simple and sweet. Players can turn some of their unwanted weapons into Gems which are then swapped with other players' Gems whom you pass who also have their Streetpass on and a game save file on the system. These Gems can be fused together to create new and/or better Gems, or can be turned into the weapon that the Gem contains for use in your game.
    Online play consists of two modes: "Light vs. Dark" and "Free For All." "Light vs. Dark" is a team based deathmatch with a twist. There are three players to a team, each wielding weapons from their own games. Killing an enemy player results in the opposing team's Life Meter going down (The Life Meter goes down more the better that player's equipment is). Once either team's Life Meter is completely drained, the player who lost the last of the Life Meter is turned into either Pit or Dark Pit (respective to their side). The angel has more health, but the weapon used is seemingly random (Although I'm not sure). Once the Angel is killed, the killers' team wins. Free For All is as you would expect. 6 players duke it out in an arena, trying to kill and not be killed. The person with the highest score, wins.
    Lastly there is the extras. An achievement board of 120 different objective is yours to complete (Think SSBB or Kirby's Air Ride), and there are 403 different Idols to collect (Think Trophies in the Super Smash Bros. games). Lastly there is a Music Gallery and a useless Heart Offering that brings a 3D model of Lady Palutena closer to the screen.

Review:
    Kid Icarus is very visually stunning, and the audio is crisp, clean, and a pleasure to listen to. The voice acting is really well done, and the animation is very smooth. The game is fair, and lets the player move at their own pace. However, it is not without it's faults. Gameplay mechanics work great in theory, but the limitations of the 3DS make it a pain (both metaphorically and physically) to play for any extended length of time. This was actually a huge problem beings that I wanted to keep playing, but the awkward controls crippled my chance of fully enjoying the experience. The left hand is placed with the index finger over the left trigger, and the thumb on the circle pad (which is your run of the mill contolling position for the 3DS). However, the right hand is used for aiming with the stylus, resulting in a one handed, off balance, unpleasurable gameplay experience. That said, it is tolerable for shorter sessions of play, and it's even worth the uncomfort for marathon style play.
    Something I haven't touched on are the story and characters. The story is shallow, yet still very charming. And the characters are very lovable and I found myself liking every character I came across. The writing is amazing, and I found myself actually laughing at some of the dialogue. Each character has their own distinct personality and they all feel very real. So real in fact that even when they do "break the fourth wall" so to speak, it seemed natural and flowed nicely.
    Online functionality is quite fun, and I enjoyed it. It definitely is nothing to write home about though. It is what it is. There was certainly things they could have done to push the multiplayer above and beyond what it is now. But then again, what it is now isn't bad. If you like the gameplay enough, the multiplayer is just that.
    Just as it was in Kirby's Air Ride, the achievement board is compelling to fill out, and adds a lot of replay-ability to the game. No objectives are unfair or too obscure, and it balances really well. Rewards for completing them are just that, rewarding.
    The musical score is also superb. Different tracks for each stage, each setting the mood very well and adding to the game feel. This along with the awesome voice acting makes for an incredible audio experience to go with the amazing visuals.

To Sum Up:
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is a good game. The audio is good, the visuals are good, the characters are nice and charming, and the gameplay is nice and rewarding. The only turn off is the down right poor controls. They are inexcusably uncomfortable, and actually made my hands hurt after awhile. That being said, I personally don't care. The rest of the game is good enough to cover that up. Kid Icarus: Uprising has made my top five 3DS games, and I highly recommend it to anyone who owns a 3DS.

Kid Icarus: Uprising gets an 88 out of 100.
  31. Oct 8, 2013
    I haven't been this impressed by a game since Super Smash Bros Melee.

Part of each level plays like Star Fox, while the bulk of it plays like a 3rd person arcade shooter hack-em-up depending on your play style. The menus are just like the ones in Super Smash Bros Brawl, and the multiplayer is like a 3D version of what we all wished the SSBB online multiplayer had been. The controls
    I haven't been this impressed by a game since Super Smash Bros Melee.

The controls seemed clunky at first, but not hard to get used to.

There are tons of things to unlock, and in depth customization for both single and multiplayer.

The story is very entertaining. No spoilers, just play it.

There is almost constant chatting between characters during gameplay. It's very helpful and interesting the first time through, but can get old fast (especially Pit's occasional jokes). Turn the "Voices" volume to 0 in the options menu if you don't like it.

The difficulty and deaths system is the most balanced one I've ever seen. Ever.

The graphics are beautiful. I showed it to some relatives and the reaction was "If they can do that on this little screen, why can't they make 3D TVs look this good?"

The music is great. I don't pay that much attention to it in most games but there's certainly nothing to complain about here.

The online multiplayer is the best Nintendo has achieved to date. It's pretty addictive.
  32. Oct 2, 2013
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is easily one of the best Nintendo 3DS games in the library of great games. The first game in the series in about 20 years, Uprising starts about 25 years after the event of the original NES title. Medusa has been revived and Pit, with help from Palutena, goddess of light, must save the world. Dialogue is very witty and hilarious at times. Characters are well thoughtKid Icarus: Uprising is easily one of the best Nintendo 3DS games in the library of great games. The first game in the series in about 20 years, Uprising starts about 25 years after the event of the original NES title. Medusa has been revived and Pit, with help from Palutena, goddess of light, must save the world. Dialogue is very witty and hilarious at times. Characters are well thought out, and the voice actors do well to bring them to life. Pit can use a multitude of weapons, all with both ranged and melee combat, some less than others. For example, a staff has very good ranged attacks with terrible melee, and clubs are the polar opposite. These weapons can be kept, made into hearts(currency), or fused together to make new weapons. All weapons also have different attributes, both positive and negative. Controls have been said to be clunky or uncomfortable. Once played enough to get used to, these will be the only controls that feel right. Environments are are very pretty and push the 3DS to its limits, especially in the air sections, which play like an on-rails shooter. Ground battles are what people tend to have issues with. All in all, Kid Icarus:Uprising is a fantastic game, and a must have for 3DS owners. Expand
  33. Sep 1, 2013
    Best shooter game ever! Gameplay is great,story line is great and so is everything else. The controls are pretty basic,too. Some of the chapters are really difficult though,like chapters 9,22 and 25. 10/10.
  34. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is awesome. I played it for 160+ hours, and still do. It's single player is great (25 chapters, air AND land battles, voice acting, funny dialogue), but i usually play multiplayer. With 360 achievements, 100+ kinds of weapons that can also be fused together to make them different, a really fun and action-paced multiplayer mode, 406 collectable caracter models, lots of powers with different shapes and levels, it has lots of content. About people who don't like the controls, i don't understand why. Maybe they cant aim on the touch screen, or don't use their right palm to hold the system. I got used to it in the first 15 minutes. Anyway, fantastic game. 10/10 Expand
  35. Aug 21, 2013
    Nintendo chose the perfect franchise to utilize the arcade shooter touch-screen gameplay of Uprising. It is a fairly original experience with loads of amount of content and unlockables. The ranging difficulty levels and online modes will also get you to come back for more.

There is a large learning curve to the control scheme, but once you get past that, Kid Icarus Uprising has a lot of entertainment to offer.
  36. Aug 19, 2013
    This has to be one of the best handheld games ever made. Great story, great gameplay, great music, great laughs, and even great multiplayer; it's unfortunate that this game doesn't have a higher average rating. I don't really see how the controls could be a problem. Some people say they make your hands hurt. I guess if you have really small hands or something, that might be the case, but IThis has to be one of the best handheld games ever made. Great story, great gameplay, great music, great laughs, and even great multiplayer; it's unfortunate that this game doesn't have a higher average rating. I don't really see how the controls could be a problem. Some people say they make your hands hurt. I guess if you have really small hands or something, that might be the case, but I played this game for sittings much longer than I'd like to admit, and never had an issue. If you have a 3DS, this is a must have. Expand
  37. Aug 4, 2013
    This might be the best 3DS game released so far.

A totally original shooter with amazingly humorous dialogue that you never get tired of. An endless level of customization when it comes to weaponry and items. Some people have complained about the controls. I personally believe its because they havent figured out the technique yet, because I haven't had a single problem. Even when
    This might be the best 3DS game released so far.

An endless level of customization when it comes to weaponry and items.

Some people have complained about the controls. I personally believe its because they havent figured out the technique yet, because I haven't had a single problem. Even when playing on the go its no problem as you can hold the system in one hand and steer with the stylus in the other one.

The online is really good, but I wish it could have been better still. I wish it could let you save opponents and create hubs, and just generally have more customization and stats.
    This game already has tons of lasting appeal, but that would certainly make it endless for real.

A MUST HAVE for 3DS owners though!

10 out of 10!
  38. Jul 25, 2013
    Kid icarus: Uprising is one of the best games on the Nintendo 3DS so far. The story is amazing fill with humor and laughs. The gameplay is fun and easy to use. The boss fights are challenging and hard to defeat. The graphes looks amazing and the voice is spot on. The only thing I hate about it is that mutilplayer is fun, but there no reason to go back for it. If our a Nintendo fan youKid icarus: Uprising is one of the best games on the Nintendo 3DS so far. The story is amazing fill with humor and laughs. The gameplay is fun and easy to use. The boss fights are challenging and hard to defeat. The graphes looks amazing and the voice is spot on. The only thing I hate about it is that mutilplayer is fun, but there no reason to go back for it. If our a Nintendo fan you should at it to our collection. Expand
  39. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is the best possible title on the 3DS: best soundtrack, best effects, most extensive content, by far best controls, and the very best replay value of the entire 3DS library. From learning the controls to increasing difficulty, unlocking the goodies and going through the story, this title keeps you coming back. The first few sessions as a beginner are rough because you willThis game is the best possible title on the 3DS: best soundtrack, best effects, most extensive content, by far best controls, and the very best replay value of the entire 3DS library. From learning the controls to increasing difficulty, unlocking the goodies and going through the story, this title keeps you coming back. The first few sessions as a beginner are rough because you will inevitably need to adapt to the controls before you're fully submerged into game play... but once that's over and done with it feels just as powerful as keyboard and mouse. Then you can increase difficulty and really get your senses going. Rarely does a game require every single gamer skill to be at 100% without getting too frustrating. They hit a perfect balance. Expand
  40. Jul 13, 2013
    A great game with a ton of replayability. The number one complaint is that the controls are hard and that you need to use a stand. I would say this is bullcrap. The controls are different and you need to learn them that's all, and you certainly don't need a stand. I played the first few levels on difficulty 2. Then by level 5 I was on difficulty 6, and by level 8 I was happy playing on 9A great game with a ton of replayability. The number one complaint is that the controls are hard and that you need to use a stand. I would say this is bullcrap. The controls are different and you need to learn them that's all, and you certainly don't need a stand. I played the first few levels on difficulty 2. Then by level 5 I was on difficulty 6, and by level 8 I was happy playing on 9 heart difficulty. So even though the controls are different, they are actually quite easy to master if you didn't just play the game for 5 minutes for the sake of a review. I also can quite easily hold my XL with my tiny girly hands and still not need to use a stand. The only thing that would make it difficult to play is if you were left handed. There is so much to unlock, weapons to create, great music, great characters, and fantastic online fun. Expand
  41. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't think I've ever been more anticipated for a game. I really looked forward to the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising, as I couldn't wait to try out a series that I hadn't played yet by Nintendo (As the original Kid Icarus games came out before I was born in '99) and well, it was pretty awesome. The plot of the game is ok at best. everything is great up until chapter 9. then, it feels like the plot is just throwing in anything it can. it makes no sense to have all these plot elements suddenly pop up after chapter 9. yeah, the plot twist with Hades being the actual villain was pretty cool, but that's about it. there are also many points where something goes nowhere, like Medusa getting killed by Hades. it feels underdeveloped. the gameplay is pretty good. the switching between on-rails shooting and third-person shooting was pretty clever, and it does the gameplay very well. the only problem is the controls, the game's worst aspect. the controls feel mixed and confusing, and it's hard to figure out a proper control set-up. maybe it's better with circle pad pro, but since I don't own that, i'm left with regular controls. though, if you get used to a control scheme, it isn't as bad, and starts to feel natural. The music is very well done in the game. each track is pretty catchy, with the exception of a few forgettable ones. some other things I really liked about the game were weapons and multiplayer. There are tons of weapons to collect in the game, each with randomized stats, and it always makes me want to get more weapons and combine them to get more weapons with different stats. Multiplayer is really fun. there may be only 2 modes, but the maps and system of getting new items for winning will always bring you back. Overall, Kid Icarus: Uprising is a pretty good 3DS title that you should get. the plot may be underdeveloped, and the controls are hard to get used to, but the gameplay, weapon system, and multiplayer will keep you occupied. Expand
  42. Jun 13, 2013
    I think this is a great game! The visuals are excellent, the story contains a decent amount of chapters, the characters are well rounded, and this game has good humor. It's very fun. Like most games, playing in 3D gives me and perhaps other players as well, headaches.. Despite that, the weapon system is very detailed and in-depth. Adapting to the controls can be difficult but you canI think this is a great game! The visuals are excellent, the story contains a decent amount of chapters, the characters are well rounded, and this game has good humor. It's very fun. Like most games, playing in 3D gives me and perhaps other players as well, headaches.. Despite that, the weapon system is very detailed and in-depth. Adapting to the controls can be difficult but you can adjust them in the settings. There is a lot of action which can be conveniently adjusted by choosing difficulty before playing each chapter. It's a great way to open the game up to beginners and newbies. Once you finish the story, there's not much of a point to replay it unless you want to improve for multiplayer, which I think is more of a weapon fest.. The music compliments the events just fine, though it could be better. Regardless, I totally recommend this to all gamers out there, whether you have a 3DS or not. Expand
  43. May 4, 2013
    Unfortunately, the high rating I'm awarding this game means that it will be buried in over a hundred others expressing adoration for this game despite its controls. This has been the one point where even they agree with the detractors, with varied metaphors about how the game will give you carpal tunnel. I'm here to argue with all of them.

Surviving Kid Icarus' control scheme takes a

Surviving Kid Icarus' control scheme takes a skill gleaned from other great 3/DS titles like Kingdom Hearts: using your thumb for the touchscreen camera, rather than the stylus. This simple adaptation rescues you from the hell of holding the system one-handed while awkwardly trying to push buttons with the pinky of your stylus-hand, and makes the game just as comfortable as any other you've ever played.

The other reparable complaint I have with the control scheme is the way powers are mapped by default to the D-pad. No matter where they are assigned, you can control them with the touchscreen, but this sacrifices a moment's aiming; if you use the D-pad, you have to take your thumb off the control pad, which renders you immobile. If you go into options and say you want to control your reticle with the D-pad, this will move the powers to the ABXY buttons, where the leftmost button will scroll your powers left...and the rightmost will be a replacement attack button. This is a baffling control option that makes zero sense and I have no idea why they made it that way.

However, the solution is to opt to control the reticle with the touchscreen. After selecting this option, you will be taken to a screen where you can freely drag the proper inventory-management options from the D-pad and map them to the face buttons. Yes, I realize how roundabout this is, but it makes the game work like magic.

The only legitimate sticking point I have with the game after my admittedly minor modifications is that, rather than turning the field of view by degrees like in Metroid Prime Hunters, you have to flick the screen "like spinning a globe," Pit adds to turn around.

This is counter-intuitive nonsense at the start, but adapting to the bizarre design choice is possible, and opens you up to the wealth of content available in the game: obsessively-customizable weapons (I'm partial to the flamethrower that I've modified to freeze people solid whenever it's not creating massive damage-over-time burns), spells that supplement your firepower with lasers or add status-effects to your attacks or simply make you more mobile, a thriving online component with astonishingly low latency, and a functional if repetitive single-player campaign.

I would add more, but I'm only nine chapters in; I can't stop playing multiplayer and using my winnings to further mod my favorite guns.
  44. May 3, 2013
    After reading a lot about this game, I still had my doubts. It seemed to me a crazy game, with a questionable control scheme and a strange sense of humor. Graphics didn't look well in pictures or videos either. But I took the risk and bought it.

Well, first of all, this is one of the most spectacular games I ever played. And I'm not talking about polygons and textures, it's just the way it is designed. There are lots of things going on while you play, specially in the flying sections, and action is constantly changing, so one minute you are running away from a big monster, the next you are defeating hordes of enemies and the next you are inside a labyrinth. There is a lot of content, so no worries about how long it is.

The story is surprisingly good too, at least for a game like this. There are not video sequences like many other games, just the dialogs while you are playing (that can certainly be a little annoying sometimes), and it works really well. Don't expect the classic "good vs. evil" here, it's something more complex and interesting.

But, what about the controls? At first I had trouble with the control scheme. It is not as intuitive as in other Nintendo games, and you need some time to get used to it. But when you do, you start enjoying the fast pacing action. It does not work so well when Pit is on the ground, but is not as bad as I thought. Just be ready to mistreat the touch screen.

I highly recommend this game, specially if you liked Star Fox 64.
  45. Apr 10, 2013
    not for people who cant handle stylus controls

this game has a very good story, Great multi--player (when there's no afk problem) and wonderful game feel, i play lots of games that use Stylus controls, if you hate on stylus games then your not going to enjoy this game, the stylus controls are Very accurate, you are able to configure the controls however you like on the options and
    not for people who cant handle stylus controls

i play lots of games that use Stylus controls, if you hate on stylus games then your not going to enjoy this game, the stylus controls are Very accurate, you are able to configure the controls however you like on the options and the sensitivity of the touch screen, the game plays like challenging a fast paced 3rd person shooter
  46. Apr 6, 2013
    Boy, where do I start with this one. By far my favorite 3DS title. The controls, although being slightly painful for extended periods of time, are extremely fluid, the many different weapons which I'm still unlocking, the huge amount of trophies and other extras, and a fully built multiplayer that is extremely addicting. And that's just the start. The story is decently long, and prettyBoy, where do I start with this one. By far my favorite 3DS title. The controls, although being slightly painful for extended periods of time, are extremely fluid, the many different weapons which I'm still unlocking, the huge amount of trophies and other extras, and a fully built multiplayer that is extremely addicting. And that's just the start. The story is decently long, and pretty good, with interesting characters that are all beautifully voice acted. Pit can strike some as annoying but i found him to be charming and funny. Items with awesome effects appear at opportune moments, and building the powers you take with is almost a puzzle in and of itself. Long story short, i could list the pros of this game for hours, and the controls are the only con i can find. Unless you count the extremely frustrating difficulty system. Very. Very. Frustrating. But if you can handle a little wrist pain, this is a truly amazing game. Expand
  47. Mar 23, 2013
    Simply put: this is an incredible, beautiful AAA game. The controls work perfectly once you put a bit of time in, and YOU WILL put time into this game, because its so great. A wealth of content, amazing levels, amazing loot system, and tons of detail and polish. My personal favorite game on the 3ds; gIve it a shot, you won't regret it.
  48. Mar 23, 2013
    First off, I must say I came into Kid Icarus: Uprising not having played the original NES game from over 20 years ago, and was introduced to pit through Super Smash Bros Brawl. But once I picked this game up and finished it, I wanted more, of everything. Certainly this game is not perfect, no game is, but that doesn't mean it's not worthy of my score of 10. Kid Icarus Uprising isFirst off, I must say I came into Kid Icarus: Uprising not having played the original NES game from over 20 years ago, and was introduced to pit through Super Smash Bros Brawl. But once I picked this game up and finished it, I wanted more, of everything. Certainly this game is not perfect, no game is, but that doesn't mean it's not worthy of my score of 10. Kid Icarus Uprising is immersive, enticing, exciting, and most of all FUN. The game is great in all aspects. Gameplay:
    There are two main segments of gameplay, flying segments and ground segments. Each segment for a chapter is 5 minutes, not too long, not too short, and it strikes a great balance for a pick up and play travel game or a sit at home and play game. It took me quite a while to wrap my head around the controls, and find a comfy way to hold my DS without cramping up may hands. Once I realized i liked putting it in my lap while holding it and using the stylus in the other hand, I was set. The game has dialogue that all-though isn't SUPER compelling, it sure is witty and charming, and definitely had me giggling more than it had me cringing. All levels have a difficulty meter that you can pick where you want the difficulty to be, the harder it is the more rewards you will reap. It has a great balance of difficulty that will suit almost all gamers as they can change it to make it just the right amount of challenge, not to mention replay ability later on, where you can crank up the difficulty for a better challenge and cooler weapons. All the levels have various scenery and segments that keep it fresh all the way through, and the game truly doesn't drag along at any point, in fact, I was afraid it was going to end too soon, but then the plot was extended and it satiated my need for more and ended at a perfect time. Along with all this the game has a great weapon system with tons of weapons that can be fused and traded and sold, and tons of collectibles, adding another great level to the game. Another layer on top of that, is a great multiplayer the game has. Online works well and is fun and challenging, and changes the pace of Kid Icarus while staying with the main mechanics you learn in the story mode.

Presentation: Although graphics are certainly not that important for a game, this game for the 3ds had great graphics. The colors and textures looked great, and all the animations were clean and smooth. The voice acting was also wonderful, and the sound effects and music were also up to par, no complaints here. Control: The games controls, contrary to popular belief are not bad, they are different, and as we know, many people hate change. However, once the controls are gotten used to, I wouldn't want to play any other way. I wish more games would be as inventive with their control schemes. Overall this game is GREAT. It has been my favorite 3ds title so far. If you have a 3ds this is a must buy, and although the controls take a little time to get used to, the experience is well worth it.
  49. Feb 20, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game however I had one issue... I'm left handed and found the game completely unplayable without the circle pad. However once I used the circle pad I have to say that this is one of the deepest, most re-playable games made for the 3DS. Graphics are stunning if a little overbearing at times. The length of the game surprised me, 25 chapters in total but not once did II really enjoyed this game however I had one issue... I'm left handed and found the game completely unplayable without the circle pad. However once I used the circle pad I have to say that this is one of the deepest, most re-playable games made for the 3DS. Graphics are stunning if a little overbearing at times. The length of the game surprised me, 25 chapters in total but not once did I find myself bored. The storyline is well written as are the characters with very cheesy dialogue. Gameplay is great especially the flying segments but I do agree that the on foot segments could be improved, that does not take away from the fact this is one of the longest console worthy handheld games ever. All in all a great game and definitely recommended as I don't think there will be another game with Pit for a long time unfortunately. Expand
  50. Feb 19, 2013
    Despite all negative reviews for this game, about it being corny, with not-so-good graphics, the controls being too difficult, its all a matter of preferences. For one, the dialog seems corny because Pit is an ANGEL for a LIGHT GODDESS. Of course he's going to act like one of the most arrogant super heroes out there! And the graphics, I completely disagree with you. For one, this is one ofDespite all negative reviews for this game, about it being corny, with not-so-good graphics, the controls being too difficult, its all a matter of preferences. For one, the dialog seems corny because Pit is an ANGEL for a LIGHT GODDESS. Of course he's going to act like one of the most arrogant super heroes out there! And the graphics, I completely disagree with you. For one, this is one of the first 3D games to have been made on the 3DS, which is a hand held game device in the first place. Of course the graphics will never be as good as the XBOX or Play Station- its a NINTENDO game! For kids and silly childish young adults this game is cute and fun to play when you literally have nothing better to do, and only play Nintendo games, it is still a one-up (pun) from Super Mario. Expand
  51. Feb 16, 2013
    I love this game. It is a worthy title for any 3ds owner. The voice acting is great, the controls are different, but they work tremendously well. I always found myself laughing with the different personalities of the bosses. I love the main antagonist. It was really developed. Overall, this game is a masterpiece, and i recommend buying it now.
  52. Feb 9, 2013
    A fairly different game.The combat works well though and I enjoy both the land and air sections.The weapon system is incredibly good and the effort from Nintendo to make this work has been good.(I've been to two Kid Icarus events) Easily the best 3DS game of 2012.
  53. Feb 7, 2013
    All I can say is "wow". Before I played this game, I would have thought considering it my favorite game of 2012 to be laughable at best. I couldn't have been more wrong! I was almost turned off by the quirky dialogue and upbeat anime artwork, only to realize the full potential of witty remarks and one liner exchanges in the latter chapters. There's one point in which pit tells HadesAll I can say is "wow". Before I played this game, I would have thought considering it my favorite game of 2012 to be laughable at best. I couldn't have been more wrong! I was almost turned off by the quirky dialogue and upbeat anime artwork, only to realize the full potential of witty remarks and one liner exchanges in the latter chapters. There's one point in which pit tells Hades "Just go home", in such a way that you know exactly what he means. Hades is the god of the underworld for those rusty on their Greek mythology. The character models and level designs differ from cutesy anime styles to intense psychedelic trips at breakneck speeds, remaining purely eye-candy in every style explored. Another EXCELLENT aspect of this game is the weapons system. With over 100 different weapons (each with their own abilities and different assets) from bows, clubs, claws, palms, orbitars, arms, staffs, blades and the ability to fuse two weapons to create a new and more powerful one, the replay value thrives and provides a mind blowing amount of depth. There's a difficulty level (0-9) with 9 requiring a well crafted weapon to complete the missions, along with rewarding rarer weapons/stats for further weapon modification. Once you think your arsenals worthwhile, take it online to prove it! The online multiplayer mode is a fast paced, lag free smashfest that still has me addicted to the game and provides continuity to the replay value of the weapon system. THE ONLY NEGATIVE issue I see with the game is the learning curve involved for the controls. Notice how I didn't say "the controls" specifically? As with anything new (riding a bicycle, driving a car, getting deflowered, etc) there's a slight learning curve. Once mastered, however, the feeling of smashing something (especially people online) feels so solid and purely awesome, it'll keep you coming back for more. Let's bear in mind this game was developed by the same creative genius that brought us Super Smash Bros. To sum it up, this game is worth every penny spent and I feel should be a must own for every 3ds owner. I've played many games on many different systems in 2012, and I've gotta say this is BY FAR my favorite game of 2012. In a year defined by sequels, first person shooters, and sequels to first person shooters, it's good to see some fresh gameplay surface. I give it 10 out of 10 plasticEGO Expand
  54. Feb 6, 2013
    Kid Icarus Uprising was a much needed reboot for the Kid Icarus Franchise. The control scheme is nowhere near as bad as people say it is. The default controls are used mostly with the L Button and the Touch Screen. The controls can be changed to your liking, however. The story is a step up from the previous installments, but I won't spoil it. Let's just say the game lasts longer after yuKid Icarus Uprising was a much needed reboot for the Kid Icarus Franchise. The control scheme is nowhere near as bad as people say it is. The default controls are used mostly with the L Button and the Touch Screen. The controls can be changed to your liking, however. The story is a step up from the previous installments, but I won't spoil it. Let's just say the game lasts longer after yu face off against Medusa. The dialog between the characters is amusing and almost never gets old... almost. The music is great, however it is hard to hear considering the characters tend to talk throughout the entire game. Beating the game, however, will allow you to turn the talking off, so you can pay more attention to the music. The gameplay is amazing, albeit cheap at some points with certain enemies and bosses. Their is a grand total of 108 different weapons in this game, and too many enhancements that can go along with them its hard to count, but some examples are adding burning statuses to enemies, becoming more durable or giving you a longer range. Along with weapons are Powers. These are, in a nutshell, spells you can activate in this game. There is a 6x6 grid that you fit Powers in, and each Power has 4 different strength levels. This game all around is impressive and a great reintroduction to a long forgotten franchise. Any issue with this game is always backed up with something that makes you forget about said flaw. Welcome back Pit. Expand
  55. Feb 6, 2013
    This game is awesome. The dialogues are such fun and everything is an explosion of action, motion and vivacity. The air battle are my faves, because I love to shoot enemies while watching the environment beneath me, and it's also easier to dodge attacks. There is plenty of weapons and the challenges are many. The controls are different from every other game and at first they could be aThis game is awesome. The dialogues are such fun and everything is an explosion of action, motion and vivacity. The air battle are my faves, because I love to shoot enemies while watching the environment beneath me, and it's also easier to dodge attacks. There is plenty of weapons and the challenges are many. The controls are different from every other game and at first they could be a little frustrating, but when you'll get used to them, you'll go just fine. Expand
  56. Jan 25, 2013
    For a sequel to a game that hadn't seen light in almost 20 years Uprising really was a surprising gem. Fast, customizable combat, full on voice acting, a fun story, beautiful visuals, and amazing online make this one of the best titles on 3DS still even to this day. While many have complain about uncomfortable controls I have yet to ever have a problem with them.
  57. Jan 5, 2013
    The controls might be annoying at times, the level design isn't that special but this game is beautiful, charming and hilarious. The best 3DS game, and it comes with a ton of modes too!
  58. Dec 24, 2012
    Ive now played the game for many hours, at first I found the game very uncomfortable. The controls when on land are not as good as they could be, but after 20 hours you barely notice that anymore. Its a matter of getting used to them.

Sakurai wanted to set kid icarus apart from other Nintendo Franchise by giving it a very corny sense of humor, rather than a serious tone like Zelda Twilight Princess. The jokes are well done having been translated/written by a former Nintendo of America employee who now works for IGN.com

This game has so much to do in it. It takes well over 100hours to 100% complete this game, like Smash Bro's it has many unlockables to keep you interested and playing. The gameplay is deeper than it first seems keeps the 25 levels fresh as you will be replaying them a lot.
  59. Dec 18, 2012
    Uprising is my favorite 3DS game. Graphics are not console-level but they are above average for the 3DS- at least with 3D off. I found the 3D effect to be atrocious- if I turned it on, even briefly at a low level, the screen got all blurry and my eyes hurt for a good 5 seconds after turning the 3D off. Granted, I am not the biggest fan of 3D but I have enjoyed it in games like Super MarioUprising is my favorite 3DS game. Graphics are not console-level but they are above average for the 3DS- at least with 3D off. I found the 3D effect to be atrocious- if I turned it on, even briefly at a low level, the screen got all blurry and my eyes hurt for a good 5 seconds after turning the 3D off. Granted, I am not the biggest fan of 3D but I have enjoyed it in games like Super Mario 3D Land and OoT3D. Fortunately, game looks good without 3D. The story was amusing and didn't take itself seriously for the most part(there were some serious moments later in the game). The whole game was filled with unique characters and funny dialogue which made it a joy to play. Controls for ground segments were clunky and circle pad pro support allowing for the second circle pad to be used to aim would have helped a lot. However, I got used to the controls after the first few chapters and they were actually perfectly adequate after those first chapters. Gameplay is good. The game is quite difficult if you put it anywhere near 9.0 by betting hearts with the innovative difficulty system in which you bet hearts(currency) to increase difficulty and earn more hearts and better loot in the chapter, while losing many of these hearts if you die. This system is unique and is a great touch. Between multiplayer, replayable chapters, streetpass, collectible idols bought using play coins, weapon crafting, and an achievement system, Uprising is a polished title with a lot of replayability. Bad 3D and the difficult-to-learn controls keep Uprising from getting a perfect score, but it is a generally fantastic game. Expand
  60. Nov 17, 2012
    Kid Icarus: Uprising gives Nintendo a fresh entry of gameplay ! Playing and enjoying it while sometimes it is still hard to control Pit. In the online mode only hc kid icarus can withstand the really harshly controls !
  61. Nov 9, 2012
    Awesome graphics, 3D and gameplay. Yes, it'll take some time before you can handle the stylus with expertise, but it's a new way of controlling games, and it works very well, you just have to try to learn how to do it, and not just complain and give up as a grumpy old man.
  62. Nov 8, 2012
    I'll begin with a simple fact: It's the best game I have ever played. And I played a lot of Mario, some Call of Duty, Borderlands 2 (This one is awesome too), The Legend of Zelda, etc. What I'm trying to say is that you should at least give this awesome game a try. It has lots of content (From weapons to powers, from stages to characters), a lot of charisma, and it's unique. I never playedI'll begin with a simple fact: It's the best game I have ever played. And I played a lot of Mario, some Call of Duty, Borderlands 2 (This one is awesome too), The Legend of Zelda, etc. What I'm trying to say is that you should at least give this awesome game a try. It has lots of content (From weapons to powers, from stages to characters), a lot of charisma, and it's unique. I never played a game like this one: If you want, you can only melee. But, if you want, you can only shoot. Or you can do both. ... And use a "Super laser" too.
    Accept the "Sorry to keep you waiting"!
  63. Nov 4, 2012
    I love this game, as a lefty I struggled with the first level, but after that it let me toggle my controls in the options setting, if you are struggling with the controls then you were either too stupid or too lazy to check the settings and edit them yourself. If you really want to use the circle pad then get the circle pad pro. Gosh people!
  64. Sep 29, 2012
    If I could write this review just for the music, I would. The music in this game is incredible. I have not heard such beauty in video game music in years! I still listen to all 4 cds everywhere I go. Now for the game itself, it's also really well done. The controls were really difficult to get used to, but when I did, I loved them. The story is magnificent and the dialogue is lightheartedIf I could write this review just for the music, I would. The music in this game is incredible. I have not heard such beauty in video game music in years! I still listen to all 4 cds everywhere I go. Now for the game itself, it's also really well done. The controls were really difficult to get used to, but when I did, I loved them. The story is magnificent and the dialogue is lighthearted and cheesy. The voice acting for the most part is very solid, with a few slip ups from Palutena. The graphics were shockingly beautiful at times. A solid game with very good replay value. Music 15/10, Story 10/10, Gameplay 8/10, Dialogue 9/10, Graphics 9/10, Controls 8/10, Replay Value 10/10. Total 9/10 Expand
  65. Sep 23, 2012
    Oh the fun I had with this!A very notable game in the 3DS' library.Kid Icarus Uprising was a long time coming,to say the least.The story is complex but understandable and strewn together well.The gameplay is a nice reboot from the 8-bit classic.The sound is fantastic.Wonderful music and hilarious dialogue between characters.I love it.The level design is creative but at times feelsOh the fun I had with this!A very notable game in the 3DS' library.Kid Icarus Uprising was a long time coming,to say the least.The story is complex but understandable and strewn together well.The gameplay is a nice reboot from the 8-bit classic.The sound is fantastic.Wonderful music and hilarious dialogue between characters.I love it.The level design is creative but at times feels unnecessary,as the game kind of plays itself sometimes.Visuals are very good.Beautiful areas with tons of atmosphere.The controls weren't too great.The on-foot sections we awkward.It sometimes made an extraordinarily exciting game feel boring sometimes.Despite that,Kid Icarus is awesome!An 8/10 a great satisfying experience. Expand
  66. Sep 18, 2012
    This is one of the best games i\\\'ve ever played in my life. It has an incredible story that is told through dialogues (among the best to ever be writen to a game), an amazing soundtrack, maybe the best nintendo has ever made and a new control scheme. It is reason enough to buy a 3ds.
  67. Sep 7, 2012
    The controls are hard to get used to, but they work adequately. The game is beautiful, has a quirky sense of humor and it packs a TON of content and replay value. Multiplayer works well and can be a lot fun. Heavily recommended.
  68. Aug 28, 2012
    This game was made for the Nintendo 3DS XL. I just (grudgingly) upgraded for the bigger screen. Makes all the difference with this game (surprised by how much, actually.) Sure, it's nice to have a big screen for Mario and such. But you don't really need it. But this game, huge difference. First, while the control system is unconventional and takes some getting used to, the XL makesThis game was made for the Nintendo 3DS XL. I just (grudgingly) upgraded for the bigger screen. Makes all the difference with this game (surprised by how much, actually.) Sure, it's nice to have a big screen for Mario and such. But you don't really need it. But this game, huge difference. First, while the control system is unconventional and takes some getting used to, the XL makes it a lot easier to adjust to thanks to it being a lot more comfortable to hold. And the XL's bigger screen makes all the difference too. This is a game where, especially on the higher difficulty levels, dodging incoming fire is essential. And the big screen is a godsend for that. If you've got a new 3DS XL, you owe it to yourself to check out this game. Expand
  69. Aug 27, 2012
    Controls are a bit uncomfortable at first, but your hand will eventually get used to it. Other than that, the game is perfect. The music, the graphics, everything. Just be patient with the controls and you will be rewarded by the game. Please note that this is coming from someone who is left-handed and has never even laid hands on a Circle Pad Pro.
  70. Aug 21, 2012
    -very good game this is the game i want so i gave it a perfect 10.
    -very challenging .
    -more unlockable weapons and powers. -the lasting appeal of this game is excellent i already play this game like 450hrs. -if you are a fan of weapon farming this is the game you want. -together mode is very enjoyable nearby or online. -1 thing i hate about this game when your playing light vs dark
    -very good game this is the game i want so i gave it a perfect 10.
    -very challenging .
    -more unlockable weapons and powers.
    -if you are a fan of weapon farming this is the game you want.
    -together mode is very enjoyable nearby or online.
    -1 thing i hate about this game when your playing light vs dark or free for all when a daybreak part has appear it blocks the screen the rest is fine. -about the controls it's fine with me since i played metroid prime hunters on the ds
  71. Aug 19, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've ever played, along with Zelda OoT and SS, Portal, and the highly under-rated Super Mario Sunshine. Packed with contend ( Over 140 weapons), great graphics with amazing 3D, and controls that should get more credit. The story is great for fans of Greek mythology, but if you prefer online mode like CoD you are in for a big treat. This game has the bestThis is one of the best games I've ever played, along with Zelda OoT and SS, Portal, and the highly under-rated Super Mario Sunshine. Packed with contend ( Over 140 weapons), great graphics with amazing 3D, and controls that should get more credit. The story is great for fans of Greek mythology, but if you prefer online mode like CoD you are in for a big treat. This game has the best online mode I have played since Mario Kart Wii. All the complaints I see are explaining that you have to use the circle pad and the stylus - wrong. You can purchase the amazing circle pad pro for only 20 bucks! I highly recommend you buy this. Great job on another amazing title! Expand
  72. Aug 15, 2012
    First of all Pit is Back after 20 plus years of goin M.I.A and this game is amazing. The only problem that I got with it is the controls but People!!! U GOT OPTIONAL CONTROLS SO U DON'T HAVE TO USE THE STYLUS!!! The story mode is fun but I like the multiplayer mode the best!!! This game has tons of replay value and I play this game hours at a time. I like the power UPS u can get and alsoFirst of all Pit is Back after 20 plus years of goin M.I.A and this game is amazing. The only problem that I got with it is the controls but People!!! U GOT OPTIONAL CONTROLS SO U DON'T HAVE TO USE THE STYLUS!!! The story mode is fun but I like the multiplayer mode the best!!! This game has tons of replay value and I play this game hours at a time. I like the power UPS u can get and also fusing the weapons too. The graphics on this game are amazing and not ps2 like some Sony fan boys like to this diss on here!!! Gameplay is very good and if anybody has a 3ds then this game is a must have!!! Expand
  73. Aug 13, 2012
    Fun game. Also I love that you can make the difficulty before each lvl anything from 0.0-9.0. The control scheme is annoying, but it's also cool.

There are a lot of different weapons you can get in this game.

The onlines modes are very fun (in my opinion).

Get this game.
  74. Aug 10, 2012
    My review for Kid Icarus uprising, the gameplay looked great but still. The graphics looked awesome! The story is so freaking funny. Multiplayer seems fun but i enjoyed it. I love the game A Must buy
  75. Aug 3, 2012
    I haven't played the two other Kid Icarus in the series and wasn't sure what to expect. I wasn't sure about buying this game as I read it was a hard and challenging game. However I was pleasantly surprised when I found out you could change the difficulty depending on your skill. I haven't played it that much as I only got it today but I loved it. The gameplay seems good so far. The cutI haven't played the two other Kid Icarus in the series and wasn't sure what to expect. I wasn't sure about buying this game as I read it was a hard and challenging game. However I was pleasantly surprised when I found out you could change the difficulty depending on your skill. I haven't played it that much as I only got it today but I loved it. The gameplay seems good so far. The cut scenes are very good as well! The only bad thing I have noticed about this game so far is that the camera controlls are annoying. You have to flick the touch screen left or right depending on which way you want. I was disappointed to find ou my Circle Pad Pro didn't control the camera. This game is compatible with the Circle Pad Pro but is only useful for left-handed people.
    Overall, this is a good game for all abilities of gamers because of the difficulty control. The only thing that lets it down is the poor camera control. Definitely give it a go, it will be worth it!
  76. Jul 25, 2012
    Kid Icarus made me glad I bought a 3DS. The only game and system combo I've been amazed with like this was Halo & Xbox. It truly is jaw dropping in content and graphics compared to other 3DS titles.
  77. Jul 13, 2012
    For me, this game was amazing. The Treasure hunt has really expanded my love of the game, because I have worked so hard on it. Some of the things are super hard, which just challenges me, giving me one more thing I have to do. I still have not finished the story, even though I have played it for almost 40 hours! The multi-player is just amazing, especially since I can train against bots,For me, this game was amazing. The Treasure hunt has really expanded my love of the game, because I have worked so hard on it. Some of the things are super hard, which just challenges me, giving me one more thing I have to do. I still have not finished the story, even though I have played it for almost 40 hours! The multi-player is just amazing, especially since I can train against bots, then attack real people. The way that Nintendo balanced the team multi-player is Ingenious! I hate playing online and getting beat because other people have better equipment than me, but that does not matter in this game. Also, you have to limit your powers to a small box, which has been fun, finding the perfect combination for both Single and Multi-Player modes. The controls to move and shoot are smooth for me, but the touch screen can be somewhat sluggish at times, Nintendo added an option to speed up how fast the camera moves when you flick the stylus. I think that Nintendo really gave Pit a good 25th anniversiary game. I love it, and play it all day long, sometimes. I really don't get many streetpass tags, because I have no friends with a 3DS, so I really haven't been able to fully experience that feature, but it adds to the experience. The weapon fusing is so perfect, because I hate playing a game and getting a weapon that I know that I will NEVER use, but with fusion, I can change it to a different weapon, usually better than both and a weapon that I will use. This game is one of my favorites and has been the only game in my slot for a while. Expand
  78. Jul 4, 2012
    kid Icarus Uprising is definetly a MUST HAVE. The nice graphics,practical jokes, nice music,lot of content, multiplayer. There is pretty much nothing wrong with this game! The controls are a bit bad but, that's why you can customize them. That is also why you got a stand use it! Great game! You have to get this game if you are a hardcore gamer!
  79. Jun 28, 2012
    In many ways, this probably one of the best handheld-exclusive games I've ever played. The controls seemed weird to me when I started playing it, but luckily are easily customisable. I quickly changed to the "left-handed" system although I am right handed (you get analog control over the aiming reticle and Pit's movements using the buttons are as precise as they need to be) and all wasIn many ways, this probably one of the best handheld-exclusive games I've ever played. The controls seemed weird to me when I started playing it, but luckily are easily customisable. I quickly changed to the "left-handed" system although I am right handed (you get analog control over the aiming reticle and Pit's movements using the buttons are as precise as they need to be) and all was good - I recommend trying this if you are having problems with the other systems!! Positive highlight for me is the hearts system - it makes the game extremely replayable and worth mastering to get the better weapons. The main negative for me is variable quality in the level design. Sometimes it is great, but sometimes levels seem completely pointless and feel like they have just been thrown in there to make the game longer. Three of the main examples are two levels in which you are basically replaying parts of the game you have already completed and one in which you are just killing wave upon wave of monsters. Was this really necessary? It makes the overall impression of the game feel a bit grindy which was a shame because actually some of the level design was brilliant. However, despite this gripe, playing through this game was a lot of fun and I'm already having a lot of fun replaying some of my favourite levels. With this and Gravity Rush, it's great to see handheld getting some much deserved TLC! Recommended! Expand
  80. Jun 20, 2012
    It's fun, fast paced and very charming. Though it has such a VERY cheesy sense of humor it's still enjoyable even if in some occasions you feel embarrassed by what the character say in one of their nineteen billion lines of dialogue. but leaving that aside let's talk about the controls. yes they get uncomfortable but they only annoy you for the first minutes unless if you're some kind ofIt's fun, fast paced and very charming. Though it has such a VERY cheesy sense of humor it's still enjoyable even if in some occasions you feel embarrassed by what the character say in one of their nineteen billion lines of dialogue. but leaving that aside let's talk about the controls. yes they get uncomfortable but they only annoy you for the first minutes unless if you're some kind of spoiled **** who thinks everything must be made at their liking and cannot adapt to anything more complex that yelling and strangers in XBLA. the controls are easy to understand and you don't need that stupid stand that bundles with the game and if you're incapable of holding a light device with only your left hand then I highly suggest you to switch hands for your fun times! Expand
  81. Jun 5, 2012
    Kid Icarus is an awesome game with a surprising amount of content. The game's controls could be seen as the only real downfall, however, after about 20 minutes the controls feel much more natural. The online play is also surprisingly great for a portable game. Total playtime: About 30 hours.
  82. May 29, 2012
    The reviews you see on this website of this game that have low scores only have those low scores because people complain about the controls. They complain because it's something entirely new and different, and they don't like that. The only reason they complain is because there not good at the game, but you don't necessarily have to be good at the game to have fun, but there letting thatThe reviews you see on this website of this game that have low scores only have those low scores because people complain about the controls. They complain because it's something entirely new and different, and they don't like that. The only reason they complain is because there not good at the game, but you don't necessarily have to be good at the game to have fun, but there letting that get in the way. I would highly recommend this to anyone, and in my opinion this is the best game on Nintendo's knew handheld so far. You would be making a wise choice buying this game, but I warn you, not everyone will be as good at the game at the start as other people. Everyone learns in different ways, so it WILL take some more time than other to master the controls. My advice, experiment. Experiment holding the 3DS in different positions; you could lie it flat on a surface and work from there; hold the console with one hand and use the stylus with the other; using the stand that comes free with the game (my favourite). As Sakurai said himself that when Smash Bros. first came out, people found it really hard to grasp the controls, and look at the series now! It really will just take time. But most importantly, have fun! Expand
  83. May 27, 2012
    This game is a true experience of a revival that sits right next to Super Mario 64 in 3Dizing. The Gameplay is the only challenge that isnt that hard to follow. On Flight, the game uses the circle pad to fly,L to shoot, and the stylus to aim, its pretty straight forward and easy to get used to. Now here's where things get awkward, the controls are the same on ground battle. You move pitThis game is a true experience of a revival that sits right next to Super Mario 64 in 3Dizing. The Gameplay is the only challenge that isnt that hard to follow. On Flight, the game uses the circle pad to fly,L to shoot, and the stylus to aim, its pretty straight forward and easy to get used to. Now here's where things get awkward, the controls are the same on ground battle. You move pit with the circle pad, L to shoot and the stylus to aim AND move the camera. It basically works on the mechanics of a globe, you move the aiming around and then slide to rotate the view. It seems awkward, but its not broken and can easily be get used to once you be friendly, however if your like me and you just cant, there are other options. This game offer's costumizable controls to see your fit, like changing the camera controls to the Face Buttons (ABXY), i personally found this much easier and i got used to it in a matter of 2 levels. After that, there's nothing left, the dialog and story are just fantastic and is overral brilliant, the voice acting deserves 5 stars especially with the jokes. The Story doesnt back down either, it follows up nicely and throwns many unexpected things into the mix that really change your perspective on this game. Follow that up with a massive amount of different weapons that range from 9 different classes,and before playing a level you have a difficulty gambling mechanic which is REALLY unique. You bet your Money(hearts) to raise the difficulty, where its much harder and to get more hearts and better treasures, and if you die, you lose some of hearts you bet and the difficulty gets lower, its really unique mechanic that can be adjusted for any gamer. But it doesnt stop there, theres so much content to unlock like trophies(idols),Music, and the lasting appeal, the treasure hunt, which is basically the ingame achievements that are more than 300, Yes 300! Pair it with the massive content, AND the suprisingly smooth and FUN Multiplayer that suprisingly works very well in both gameplay and connection, and your looking at a AAA 3DS title. Kid Icarus's rebirthed masterfully and is a huge recommendation to all. Expand
  84. May 26, 2012
    My second 3DS game that I have gotten, Kid Icarus: Uprising, turns out to be a decent action game. I have waited to play it and the gameplay is impressive. The 3D effect is used well, but not as good as it was in Super Mario 3D Land. The graphics are good, but they could have been a little bit better. The story isn't top notch, but it has its moments. One of the best additions is theMy second 3DS game that I have gotten, Kid Icarus: Uprising, turns out to be a decent action game. I have waited to play it and the gameplay is impressive. The 3D effect is used well, but not as good as it was in Super Mario 3D Land. The graphics are good, but they could have been a little bit better. The story isn't top notch, but it has its moments. One of the best additions is the online. It allows for addicting and more competitive gameplay that simply can't be missed. Overall, this is a great title to own on 3DS. Expand
  85. May 23, 2012
    Kid Icarus Uprising is another great game in the Nintendo Franchise. The story is entertaining and like TVtropes says, it's "better than it sounds". The dozens of weapons in the game allow for many different playstyles, and that's without modifiers that give more power, cause status affects or increase health and defense. The voice acting is great and the witty banter between characters isKid Icarus Uprising is another great game in the Nintendo Franchise. The story is entertaining and like TVtropes says, it's "better than it sounds". The dozens of weapons in the game allow for many different playstyles, and that's without modifiers that give more power, cause status affects or increase health and defense. The voice acting is great and the witty banter between characters is some of the BEST Nintendo has done, on par with the Mario RPGs, which are known for the hilarious dialogue. The online mode is smooth and very often lag-free, though many online players have weapons that can destroy you in seconds. Gameplay wise, I have little problem with the controls for both parts of the game and wonder why many people have a problem with it. Overall, I think Kid Icarus: Uprising is a great reboot of the franchise which was seriously needed, and was executed brilliantly. Congrats Nintendo on another stellar game. Expand
  86. May 11, 2012
    This is a very good game, one that is strange in the beginning but memorable latter.

First the controls are new and, at the beginning, strange and even hard, but once used it provids a unique gameplay form that is very cool to play with and that everyone should try. It does make it a very fast action game, deep in its gameplay that should entertain even a old quake 3 gamer. Kid

Kid Icarus:Uprising also present us a great story made of many characters and very good dialog lines, side by side with the gameplay, without distracting from it, keeping us entertained, with a complex but not overwhelming narration and context to the game..

On par with the story is the amount of content, dozens of levels and enemies, with as many weapons and lots of extras, with some very small RPG elements with the fusion of weapons.

THIS IS WHAT EVERY GAME SHOULD AIM FOR, innovation, good gameplay, lots and lots of good content and a good story, all of it made with mastery.
  87. May 10, 2012
    Finally, a truly original game for the 3DS. I absolutely loved Mario 3D land and Mario Kart , but it was a tried and true formula. Kid Icarus is something new from Nintendo. Half of it is an on rail shooter and the other half is a third person action game. Both parts are equally fun to me. First off, the graphics are satisfying. As Pit flies through the sky and battles monster, it looksFinally, a truly original game for the 3DS. I absolutely loved Mario 3D land and Mario Kart , but it was a tried and true formula. Kid Icarus is something new from Nintendo. Half of it is an on rail shooter and the other half is a third person action game. Both parts are equally fun to me. First off, the graphics are satisfying. As Pit flies through the sky and battles monster, it looks great the whole time. The story mode is extremely satisfying and really epic and funny at times. I absolutely love the weapons in this game. You can buy them and fuse them to make even more powerful weapons. It's absolutely genius. I would say the biggest problem with the game is the controls, but you get used to it fast and can change them to best fit your style. The multiplayer is what's going to keep you coming back. It's really hectic and really fun. I highly recommend this to any 3DS owner and is another huge reason to own a 3DS. Expand
  88. May 10, 2012
    I'm not one to readily give out top marks, but if ever there was a game deserving a 10/10, this is it. It is just pure fun. It's fast paced and crazy, and at higher difficulty levels requires complete attention and perfect timing. The difficulty system is innovative and works wonderfully - you gamble hearts in order to increase the difficulty from 1.0 to 9.0 (in 0.1 increments) - but atI'm not one to readily give out top marks, but if ever there was a game deserving a 10/10, this is it. It is just pure fun. It's fast paced and crazy, and at higher difficulty levels requires complete attention and perfect timing. The difficulty system is innovative and works wonderfully - you gamble hearts in order to increase the difficulty from 1.0 to 9.0 (in 0.1 increments) - but at higher difficulties, the rewards are much greater too. And as you progress in the game, you will not only accumulate the weapons and powers to tackle the higher intensities, you will be constantly improving too. This is one of those games that you constantly get better at, and when things go well and you dodge those attacks perfectly, it feels wonderful.

The amount of content is insane. Apart from a fairly long story mode that should take 10-ish hours to complete, you can obviously replay each chapter at higher intensities to collect better reward, and complete over 100 different challenges. There's a boss mode in 3 difficulties, about 400 idols to collect, an egg-launching minigame, and to top it all off, a REALLY fun multiplayer mode which includes a Free For All and Team-Based game mode. You take in your own weapons and powers, and the game uses a clever system to balance out strong and weak weapons, so you really need to think about whether you want to bring in your strongest weapon into the fray. At the moment, the multiplayer is still well populated, I haven't once had any difficulty finding a match to join.

The story is delivered mostly in-game through dialogue happening during the action - it makes things faster and more fluid. The voice acting is brilliant, and the writing hilarious. There are plenty of random conversations that fill occasional silences, and they vary between levels, weapons you have equipped etc. The jokes might not be for everyone (they're a little on the cheesy side, you may groan occasionally) but the entire game is so light-hearted, and especially Pit so infectiously optimistic and cheerful, that it seems impossible to not have a smile on your face while playing this.

The soundtrack is also fantastic, with tracks ranging from dramatic orchestral sounds, to funky jazz tunes, even to metal in one level. Many of the pieces could have been taken straight from a Disney movie, and not rarely I find myself humming one or another tune from the game - good thing that all the game's tracks are unlockable to listen to individually.

Of course, it would be impossible not to address the elephant in the room, the controls. For some reason, reviewers seem to be incapable of playing this game, yet somehow, everyone I know who actually bought this game and gave it a chance, loved it. If you're not used to DS/3DS controls, it will probably feel awkward for a while. Even if you've owned a DS for many, many years, you may still need some time to get used to them. But that's just it: You will get used to them. When at home (and yes, this game is so good that I tend to sit at my powerhouse of a PC and play on my handheld), I use the convenient stand that is included for free. When I'm out and about, I hold the system in my hands, which while less comfortable, is still perfectly fine, at least for a few hours at a time.

So, controls - you can get used to them. The game - fun, fast and furious. The atmosphere - light hearted and funny, even when things get serious. Plus, many, MANY more hours of content than most PC/home console games these days (I recently passed the 100 hours mark). Overall, it is quite simply a 10/10. There certainly aren't many games this good out there.
  89. May 6, 2012
    Wanna make this short and sweet this is great game and you should own it.

it has wealth of options and online play!!

yea controls are fiddly to get the hang of but like all good gamers. We learn and become better at it. there's so much to unlock and its a game that has more surprises then meets the eye!

Don't take my word for it! just try it yourself:P
  90. May 3, 2012
    Short and sweet, this is a great game with small hindrances. The flying and multiplayer sections are all fun and exciting yet the ground sections are not so great. The controls for the ground sections are just odd and the stand that comes only helps out a little bit. Also, the dialogue is some of the most hilarious dialogue next to Portal 2. The graphics are fantastic and the replayShort and sweet, this is a great game with small hindrances. The flying and multiplayer sections are all fun and exciting yet the ground sections are not so great. The controls for the ground sections are just odd and the stand that comes only helps out a little bit. Also, the dialogue is some of the most hilarious dialogue next to Portal 2. The graphics are fantastic and the replay value is crazy. Overall, one of those games that any 3DS owner should get! Expand
  91. May 1, 2012
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is packed nearly to the brim with carrots to chase, ranging from a multitude of achievements to unlock, hearts to amass, weapons to hoard, secondary powers to equip and an ingenious gambling mechanic to attempt tackling higher difficulty levels. It's crazy to imagine such a tall order of entertainment is available on a handheld. As much as I enjoy Uprising, it's hardKid Icarus: Uprising is packed nearly to the brim with carrots to chase, ranging from a multitude of achievements to unlock, hearts to amass, weapons to hoard, secondary powers to equip and an ingenious gambling mechanic to attempt tackling higher difficulty levels. It's crazy to imagine such a tall order of entertainment is available on a handheld. As much as I enjoy Uprising, it's hard not to question the control scheme and be let down that my enjoyment had to be constantly interrupted by breaks to recuperate. With frequent reminders to rest, it would have been nice if there were mini-games available that didn't rely on the stylus controls. As is, I cannot recommend this game enough to 3DS owners looking to get a lot out of the portable and to those on the fence about the 3DS altogether. I might not have thought to spend a lot of time with the Kid Icarus series before, but now I can only hope the goddesses keep Pit around for good. Expand
  92. Apr 29, 2012
    Kid Icarus Uprising is an absolute blast to play, has a fantastic soundtrack, and has wonderful graphics and art design, with gameplay that is simple but at the same time very complex and challenging if you want it to be. The difficulty is perfectly scalable to your skill level and the variety of fun and exiting weapons is just plain awesome, and managing your weapons and fusing oldKid Icarus Uprising is an absolute blast to play, has a fantastic soundtrack, and has wonderful graphics and art design, with gameplay that is simple but at the same time very complex and challenging if you want it to be. The difficulty is perfectly scalable to your skill level and the variety of fun and exiting weapons is just plain awesome, and managing your weapons and fusing old weapons to create new and exiting ones is very intriguing. Although the surprisingly long and highly replayable single player is the main bulk of the package the multiplayer is really exiting as well, and works exactly how it should. If you enjoy this game like I have, you will be playing it for months, if not years because of just how much fun it is and how much content is packed in here. But if I'm talking about Kid Icarus Uprising, then I can't help to mention the controls, and the truth is, they work very well. For anyone used to dual analog control it may be difficult to get used to the controls at first, but once you do you'll realize that the controls deliver an accuracy that dual analog cannot. One thing about the controls however that I believe I should mention is the fact that after prolonged periods of gaming, say one and a half to two hours, your hand may start to cramp, however because of the relatively short levels for the most part in the game and the nature of the gamepay which is best enjoyed in short controlled bursts, it shouldn't be a problem, unless of course if you're having such a blast you simply cannot put your 3ds down. I have played this game for a total of 26 hours now and I'm still regularly coming back for more. Another thing I should mention is that even though a lot of the gameplay aspects are different than the original kid icarus, it still maintains a lot of the feel of the original, and still feels like a kid icarus game. Oh, and the voice acting is great too, which is great because otherwise the non-stop dialogue would be a little tedious. Overall this game is absolutely fantastic and anyone with a 3ds needs to play it. It is one of the best reasons, if not the VERY best reason (beside super mario 3d land) to own a 3ds. You will not be dissapointed. Expand
  93. Apr 29, 2012
    best handheld game i have ever played, i play lvd with my friends all the time the campaign was very good and pretty long. ive heard alot of people talking garbage about the controls and really i think they are great you really have to aim and the dodging in super fun i really cant say a game is better then this one thats out right now
  94. Apr 26, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing. My favorite. It has amazing voice acting, which rarely gets old, and a diffuclty scale that lets you play at your own difficulty. All the boss battles are truly engaging, and the control scheme is brilliant once you get the hang of it!
  95. Apr 23, 2012
    Nothing new to add here from the other comments. Great gameplay, variety of weapons and powers make the game fun to explore. LOVE THE DIALOGUE, and multiplayer is very fun. Graphics are good, soundtrack is amazing....
    really, i dont know why people complain so much about the controls :, you could all change it to suit you and a 3ds stand should have been included with the game purchase.
    worth the 40$!!
  96. Apr 18, 2012
    Controls are awkward, and can actually hurt after playing for a bit. I have small hands so I can't imagine what it's like for people with average/big hands.

Other than that this game is absolutely stellar. The game is basically made for a portable with short levels, so you can always just play 1-2 levels at a time to avoid hand cramping. Not ideal, but I believe the game is worth it.

I'd have given it a 10 if it wasn't such a pain(literally) to play.
  97. Apr 18, 2012
    Truly epic game. People complaining about the controls clearly have never played a FPS with a trackball before, because the controls are almost exactly like that. Really it takes only a short time to get used to, and you get far more control than a comparable title for example Metroid Hunters. The number of levels, number of difficulty levels, number of weapons and fusion combinations,Truly epic game. People complaining about the controls clearly have never played a FPS with a trackball before, because the controls are almost exactly like that. Really it takes only a short time to get used to, and you get far more control than a comparable title for example Metroid Hunters. The number of levels, number of difficulty levels, number of weapons and fusion combinations, number of power-ups, funny dialogue and huge number of secrets to find and unlock make this game far more than value for money. Expand
  98. Apr 11, 2012
    A great ne title for the nintendo 3ds, Kid icarus is a ton of fun to play solo, or in together mode. Solo mode has new enemies the entire way through, and exciting bosses to fight at the end of each of the 25 chapters. The game also includes 360 achievements to keep you busy, and a very complex weapon system which allows for endless combinations. I like that you can use the weapons thatA great ne title for the nintendo 3ds, Kid icarus is a ton of fun to play solo, or in together mode. Solo mode has new enemies the entire way through, and exciting bosses to fight at the end of each of the 25 chapters. The game also includes 360 achievements to keep you busy, and a very complex weapon system which allows for endless combinations. I like that you can use the weapons that you earn/ fuse in single player mode can be used online. I also love the difficulty system which rewards players with better weapons, powers, and more hearts for playing on harder difficulties (1-9). The soundtrack is simply amazing, original music all the way through the game. Props to nintendo for another instant classic!!! Expand
  99. Apr 10, 2012
    First off I do not believe in giving games 10's or this game would get one. This game is a prime example of Nintendo going outside of their normal comfort zone to give us something truly different, and people just want to complain about the controls. Admittedly the controls do take some getting used to, but if you practice they will sink in. After they do sink in you will realize thatFirst off I do not believe in giving games 10's or this game would get one. This game is a prime example of Nintendo going outside of their normal comfort zone to give us something truly different, and people just want to complain about the controls. Admittedly the controls do take some getting used to, but if you practice they will sink in. After they do sink in you will realize that Nintendo has given us one of the most original third person shooters of all time. You will also realize that, with the chaotic nature of this game, it could not have been done properly with dual analog sticks unless it was toned down considerably.
    As a number of people have said above the time that you can sink into this game unlocking new content and fusing new weapons is pretty much unprecedented for a handheld game. If you have a 3DS and do not pick this up for $30 at Best Buy then shame on you.
    The game has a 25 mission single player campaign that will keep you busy for ages. Add the fact that the hearts that you collect may be used to bet to make the game more or less difficult, and you have a game with tons of replay value. As much as I love the single player I am only on stage 9 right now because the multiplayer is so addictive. It has a 3 on 3 mode and a free for all mode top chose from, and I really like the fact that you cab substitute bots if you want the practice. I have no idea why the big series' are eliminating deathmatch modes with bots.
    Excellent gameplay....check. Terrific story and hilarious voice acting.....check. More unlockables then you can shake a stick at......check. Lengthy story mode and super addictive multiplayer......check. For my money this game is the best 3DS game hands down.
  100. Apr 7, 2012
    Kid Icarus: Uprising could quite possibly be the best handheld game of all time. I bought this game skeptical of what would be in store, but it definitely did not disappoint. To get this out of the way before dwelling deeper into this review, I want to state that the controls are NOT game breaking. They simply take a decent amount of time and practice to properly maneuver and actually addKid Icarus: Uprising could quite possibly be the best handheld game of all time. I bought this game skeptical of what would be in store, but it definitely did not disappoint. To get this out of the way before dwelling deeper into this review, I want to state that the controls are NOT game breaking. They simply take a decent amount of time and practice to properly maneuver and actually add depth / challenge to the game. But most importantly, it gives insight on a new control theme that has never been implemented before. After a while, I was having so much fun pinpointing my stylus on Pit's enemies in both the air and the ground that I completely forgot how difficult it initially was for me to learn. It takes precise and short movements of the stylus to angle the camera correctly, but it feels extremely rewarding when you are able to take down whatever enemy you want with ease after mastering it. Gameplay is extremely fast paced and reminds me of a insanely advanced mix of Star Fox 64 and Galaga while in the air, and a game of it's own on the ground. The transition from the air to the ground in each chapter keeps things fresh and upbeat because you aren't always doing the same exact thing the entire time. The dialogue, voice acting, and character development literally make this game. You get a really special feeling hearing the multiple gods converse between each other while fighting in game and towards Pit too. Due to this, all the missions feel as though they are your own. Chatter never ceases in this game, jokes are made, insults are thrown, and oddly enough.. it never gets annoying. Pit is an extremely lovable character from the start, and Palutena keeps him in line every now and then so that he doesn't seem too care-free. On top of this, the villains each have a boastful personality of their own and they constantly remind you of it. Everything in the game is so light hearted and ecstatic that it just compels you to keep on playing. Level designs are incredible and range from colorful and lush skies / forests to dark and menacing caves or storms. Each chapter you are excited to see what new villain or boss lies ahead and how they will affect Pit on his journey. The graphics are likely the best on the system, and the 3DS adds even more depth to the gameplay as is. Sakurai has always been a strong advocate in content on his games, and this one does not disappoint in the slightest. Imagine everything Super Smash Bros. Brawl had to offer, add about 2x more content, and then throw in the fact that all of it is done correctly. Trophies are there, achievements are present, difficulty levels are set, currency is available, online mode is great, powers are unlockable, various weapons are obtainable, and the list goes on and on. If you can recall the sticker function in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, you may have noticed that no one ever got around to them or used them to their full potential.. because quite frankly.. they didn't have any. In Uprising, Sakurai recognizes this mistake and fixes it to appeal to both a hardcore and casual audience with powers which work incredibly and all have their own distinct use. Weapons can be bought, fused, and each have their own special attributes depending on your knowledge of the game, and a bit of luck. And this isn't even one fourth of it. There is literally so many things to do in this game and so much content, that it can't even fit in this five thousand character review. As an avid music admirer, I can vouch for Kid Icarus Uprising likely having one of the best soundtracks of the last decade. Battles feel vigorous with steady drum beats wailing in the background, and your rivals have both attitude and flare with spanish guitars strumming to the rhythm of your movement when appropriate. Speaking of rivals, there is a mass amount of them.. and they all have an insane amount of variety. Each enemy is like a puzzle and requires different methods to defeat it. For instance, one of them turns red and green. If it's red, you must attack from far away, if green.. you must attack with melee. This is just one simple example of probably the fifty plus different enemies there are in the game and they introduce them at different points in the game so they never get old. Kid Icarus has brought something truly special to Nintendo's table by reviving a game that was created twenty five years ago and truly putting their own voice into each and every character. For example, not only does the game reference it's previous installments, but it also cracks jokes and hints at other events in various other staple franchises that Nintendo fans will recognize with ease and asks the player to embrace it. What makes this game such a landmark among the rest is it's reminder of what games are truly made for; to pass time by having fun. Kid Icarus is a masterpiece and without a doubt in my mind will be recognized as an iconic Nintendo staple in the years to come. 10/10 Expand

1. Jun 27, 2012
    No doubt in my mind, 3DS owners should have Kid Icarus: Uprising in their library of games, especially if action games are a favorite.
  2. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Nintendo magic strikes again, if you can adapt to the controls. [June 2012, p.68]
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2012
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is an underdog tale: how an action game can be thoroughly enjoyable even when it suffers from some severe control problems. [May 2012]