8.8

1. Feb 21, 2016
    Whatever's popping out of my mind right now when reviewing this game, I call it the best return for a Nintendo franchise ever since leaving it in the dust.
  2. May 26, 2012
    My second 3DS game that I have gotten, Kid Icarus: Uprising, turns out to be a decent action game. I have waited to play it and the gameplay is impressive. The 3D effect is used well, but not as good as it was in Super Mario 3D Land. The graphics are good, but they could have been a little bit better. The story isn't top notch, but it has its moments. One of the best additions is theMy second 3DS game that I have gotten, Kid Icarus: Uprising, turns out to be a decent action game. I have waited to play it and the gameplay is impressive. The 3D effect is used well, but not as good as it was in Super Mario 3D Land. The graphics are good, but they could have been a little bit better. The story isn't top notch, but it has its moments. One of the best additions is the online. It allows for addicting and more competitive gameplay that simply can't be missed. Overall, this is a great title to own on 3DS. Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2012
    After a year, we're waiting for a 'truly' original game for the 3DS. Sure, you have Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, but they were based on old IPs. Kid Icarus Uprising is based on Nintendo's old game that many did not play in its day, a cult hit that was 20 years old. The end result is a game that is impressive technically, with slightly 'annoying' controls that cramp yourAfter a year, we're waiting for a 'truly' original game for the 3DS. Sure, you have Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, but they were based on old IPs. Kid Icarus Uprising is based on Nintendo's old game that many did not play in its day, a cult hit that was 20 years old. The end result is a game that is impressive technically, with slightly 'annoying' controls that cramp your hands. (If Nintendo invested on the CIrcle Pad Pro, they could have given players an option to use it for aiming) Alas, despite that, the game has an incredible amount of content and has generally great game play reminiscent of Sin and Punishment series. It's the first truly original great game for the 3DS beside RE Revelations. Expand
  4. Jan 11, 2015
    I wasn't really expecting much going into Kid Icarus: Uprising but boy, was I blown out of the water! I was really impressed by the game's quality!

The story is very engaging and it's possibly one of the best parts of the game alongside the clever, witty, and at times downright hilarious dialogue. The characters and their personalities are the main reasons for the dialogue being so funny as you can find ways to actually sympathize with the characters and be both scared and sad for them.

The gameplay itself is great. All of the levels (with the exception of one or two) are split into air and land battles. Air battles are better in my opinion as land battles can sometimes have a weird camera view. That's not to say the land battles are bad, I just think the air battles with their fast action and amazing visuals are a bit better.

The Fiend's Cauldron is the difficulty setting-like thing in the game. The more hearts you place into the cauldron, the higher the difficulty. The thing is, if you die on the difficulty once, the level goes down and you lose most of the hearts you bet. I wish the difficulty would just stay on the one I set it at instead of going down. Some of the challenges in the game (similar to the Super Smash Bros. Brawl's challenge board) require you to play on certain levels and you can't do this if you keep dying.

Many people complain about the controls but I personally have had no problem with them. They are very simple to use and it actually makes you feel more immersed in the experience than if you were just wildly pressing buttons. There's also online multiplayer in the game but I only tried it a few times. I found it to be quite confusing and a bit too crazy for my tastes.

Overall, Kid Icarus: Uprising is another stellar 3DS game and another great game created by Masahiro Sakurai! The story, dialogue, and gameplay are amazing even if the difficulty setup and online features are lacking.
  5. Apr 3, 2012
    Playing Uprising feels like taking a breath of fresh air after being in a cave for a long time; it's cool and refreshing. While the control scheme may take a few minutes to get used to, it works beautifully when you get used to it. The graphics are console-quality, but a tiny bit of bad textures get in the way sometimes. The story is gripping, and it keeps it at a light-hearted tone due toPlaying Uprising feels like taking a breath of fresh air after being in a cave for a long time; it's cool and refreshing. While the control scheme may take a few minutes to get used to, it works beautifully when you get used to it. The graphics are console-quality, but a tiny bit of bad textures get in the way sometimes. The story is gripping, and it keeps it at a light-hearted tone due to the silly chatting between characters on the bottom screen (complete with solid voice-acting). If you don't at least chuckle at the frequent Nintendo game references and the awesomely bad puns, than you obviously have no soul. With a crap-ton of achievements, idols (think trophies from Super Smash Bros. Brawl), and weapons, Kid Icarus: Uprising is definitely worth the price and your time. Expand
  6. Jul 4, 2015
    One of the best action games on the 3DS. While the controls can be iffy without taking the time to get used to them, it isn't really a negative with this game. The air mode is wonderful, and the land mode is also pretty good. The variety of locations and missions + the large range of selectable difficulty levels allows both casuals and elites to have fun in this game without losingOne of the best action games on the 3DS. While the controls can be iffy without taking the time to get used to them, it isn't really a negative with this game. The air mode is wonderful, and the land mode is also pretty good. The variety of locations and missions + the large range of selectable difficulty levels allows both casuals and elites to have fun in this game without losing anything. The great trophy system (makes me spend my play coins for a good reason), cool achievements (more than one pic!) and solid online and LAN multiplayer makes this game have really high replay value. While the story clocks in at around 10-15 hours, there's so much other stuff to do afterwards that ugh... just wonderful. I highly recommend getting this game somehow.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
    Story: 8.5/10
    Music: 9/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 8.5/10
    Overall: 9/10
  7. Sep 29, 2012
    If I could write this review just for the music, I would. The music in this game is incredible. I have not heard such beauty in video game music in years! I still listen to all 4 cds everywhere I go. Now for the game itself, it's also really well done. The controls were really difficult to get used to, but when I did, I loved them. The story is magnificent and the dialogue is lightheartedIf I could write this review just for the music, I would. The music in this game is incredible. I have not heard such beauty in video game music in years! I still listen to all 4 cds everywhere I go. Now for the game itself, it's also really well done. The controls were really difficult to get used to, but when I did, I loved them. The story is magnificent and the dialogue is lighthearted and cheesy. The voice acting for the most part is very solid, with a few slip ups from Palutena. The graphics were shockingly beautiful at times. A solid game with very good replay value. Music 15/10, Story 10/10, Gameplay 8/10, Dialogue 9/10, Graphics 9/10, Controls 8/10, Replay Value 10/10. Total 9/10 Expand
  8. Mar 24, 2012
    This game is amazing, not perfect, but amazing none the less. The game has different levels and each level has 2 sections, one flying rail shooter, and one on ground third person shooter. The game has tons of weapons to collect for people who likes those kinds of things, or you can combine and sell your weapons to get better ones for people who just want to be stronger. There is an onlineThis game is amazing, not perfect, but amazing none the less. The game has different levels and each level has 2 sections, one flying rail shooter, and one on ground third person shooter. The game has tons of weapons to collect for people who likes those kinds of things, or you can combine and sell your weapons to get better ones for people who just want to be stronger. There is an online mode so this game has a strong lasting appeal. The online is only on ground section, no flying. There are two different modes to suit your liking. Now that i just sampled at all the amazing things about this game, i want to share my ONE complaint. The controls. For the flying sections, the controls work just fine. But when you land is where te problem begins. The game doesn't support the circle pad pro for dual analog stick playing (only lefty mode). So you aim and move the camera with the touch screen, along with selecting power ups. So This game is amazing, and the pros out-weight the cons on a huge scale. With beautiful graphics and sounds, amazing single and multi-player mode, and tons of achievement and weapons to earn and unlock, this game should definitely be considered for a purchase for your 3DS collection. Expand
  9. Mar 26, 2012
    DIS GAAAAME!
    It's so weird. It's so good. It's so... unusual.
    You fight as an angel in one part on-rails shooter and the second half on ground third person shooter. During your fights the Angel will have nonsensical conversation with his goddess, Palutena, to keep you entertained as he jokes about Nintendogs, too much handholding in games, the economy and all kinds of things. I think the
    DIS GAAAAME!
    It's so weird. It's so good. It's so... unusual.
    I think the fact that there is a way to "bet" on your difficulty and make the game harder for yourself while being rewarded is what gives the game a proper 10/10. The only real solution to the casual vs. hardcore debate. (If you want a simple distraction keep the difficulty at 2. If you want hand-aches and the best weapons put it at 10 and see what happens ;) )
  10. Apr 6, 2012
    9.25

9.25

I really became fed up with Kid Icarus: Uprising when it was delayed multiple times. I had no hope, and thought that the game would end up just crashing and burning. This game does a complete opposite of just that; Kid Icarus is, by far, the best 3DS game to date. It is filled with content and has high replay value. It's gameplay is wicked fast paced and something new; just what the 3DS desperately needs. The musical score is absolutely wonderful, and the voice overs (which are mostly constant) feature some surprisingly incredible talent and excellent writing. The 3D is the most stereoscopic out of any other 3DS games, and the 3D truly accentuates the epic scope of the game. The only negative point I have is the controls. No that they hurt, but that they are so cramped and useless, mainly the dodge feature. On the ground, you can quick dodge attacks to earn a fast power attack and get more points to boost your score, but sometimes the action is too chaotic for its own good and the doge feature ends up being completely useless. Also, the fact that (unless you use the stand) the controls will start to cramp up your hand quite a bit and ghosting 3D will plague your experience. Other than those minor gripes, Kid Icarus is the very first game that justifies why I bought a 3DS more than a year ago. Not to mention, I've never charged my 3DS this much before. Overflowing with epicness, playfulness and originality, Kid Icarus: Uprising is a winner in every single way.
  11. May 3, 2013
    After reading a lot about this game, I still had my doubts. It seemed to me a crazy game, with a questionable control scheme and a strange sense of humor. Graphics didn't look well in pictures or videos either. But I took the risk and bought it.

Well, first of all, this is one of the most spectacular games I ever played. And I'm not talking about polygons and textures, it's just the way it is designed. There are lots of things going on while you play, specially in the flying sections, and action is constantly changing, so one minute you are running away from a big monster, the next you are defeating hordes of enemies and the next you are inside a labyrinth. There is a lot of content, so no worries about how long it is.

The story is surprisingly good too, at least for a game like this. There are not video sequences like many other games, just the dialogs while you are playing (that can certainly be a little annoying sometimes), and it works really well. Don't expect the classic "good vs. evil" here, it's something more complex and interesting.

But, what about the controls? At first I had trouble with the control scheme. It is not as intuitive as in other Nintendo games, and you need some time to get used to it. But when you do, you start enjoying the fast pacing action. It does not work so well when Pit is on the ground, but is not as bad as I thought. Just be ready to mistreat the touch screen.

I highly recommend this game, specially if you liked Star Fox 64.
  12. Aug 4, 2013
    This might be the best 3DS game released so far.

A totally original shooter with amazingly humorous dialogue that you never get tired of. An endless level of customization when it comes to weaponry and items. Some people have complained about the controls. I personally believe its because they havent figured out the technique yet, because I haven't had a single problem. Even when
    This might be the best 3DS game released so far.

An endless level of customization when it comes to weaponry and items.

Some people have complained about the controls. I personally believe its because they havent figured out the technique yet, because I haven't had a single problem. Even when playing on the go its no problem as you can hold the system in one hand and steer with the stylus in the other one.

The online is really good, but I wish it could have been better still. I wish it could let you save opponents and create hubs, and just generally have more customization and stats.
    This game already has tons of lasting appeal, but that would certainly make it endless for real.

A MUST HAVE for 3DS owners though!

10 out of 10!
  13. Jul 13, 2013
    A great game with a ton of replayability. The number one complaint is that the controls are hard and that you need to use a stand. I would say this is bullcrap. The controls are different and you need to learn them that's all, and you certainly don't need a stand. I played the first few levels on difficulty 2. Then by level 5 I was on difficulty 6, and by level 8 I was happy playing on 9A great game with a ton of replayability. The number one complaint is that the controls are hard and that you need to use a stand. I would say this is bullcrap. The controls are different and you need to learn them that's all, and you certainly don't need a stand. I played the first few levels on difficulty 2. Then by level 5 I was on difficulty 6, and by level 8 I was happy playing on 9 heart difficulty. So even though the controls are different, they are actually quite easy to master if you didn't just play the game for 5 minutes for the sake of a review. I also can quite easily hold my XL with my tiny girly hands and still not need to use a stand. The only thing that would make it difficult to play is if you were left handed. There is so much to unlock, weapons to create, great music, great characters, and fantastic online fun. Expand
  14. Mar 26, 2012
    Good fun! The control scheme does sort of hurt your hand using both the thumb stick and stylus. But the game is a lot of fun and has some awesome shooting action action and combat! The 3D is also rather impressive and the graphics themselves without the 3D are nice too. The banter between Pit and the other characters is pretty funny and repeatedly breaks the 3rd wall. Over all it's goodGood fun! The control scheme does sort of hurt your hand using both the thumb stick and stylus. But the game is a lot of fun and has some awesome shooting action action and combat! The 3D is also rather impressive and the graphics themselves without the 3D are nice too. The banter between Pit and the other characters is pretty funny and repeatedly breaks the 3rd wall. Over all it's good old Nintendo fun! Expand
  15. Apr 6, 2012
    The main complaint about this game everyone seems to have is the controls. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with them! I would take the stylus to aim over an analog anyday, and I didn't find holding the 3ds to be tiring (if you do, there is a stand.) Disclaimer: I have played Metroid Prime Hunters before, which has the exact same control scheme, however it only took me an hour orThe main complaint about this game everyone seems to have is the controls. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with them! I would take the stylus to aim over an analog anyday, and I didn't find holding the 3ds to be tiring (if you do, there is a stand.) Disclaimer: I have played Metroid Prime Hunters before, which has the exact same control scheme, however it only took me an hour or two to adjust to that, and when I played with my friends they got used to it in an hour or two as well. In reality, I think this control thing is blown out of proportion. These days, critics and gamers alike are more critical since there is so much more to compare with. But if you just look at the game, play it without reading the reviews and all the preconceptions you will form from them, you will enjoy games a lot more! This is a prime example. Don't let the controls get to your head, they don't take long to adjust to and the rest of the game is fantastic. The soundtrack is exquisite, it has the best voice acting and script I've ever had the pleasure to listen to, and the graphics are some of the best on 3DS. The customization system creates lots if replay, and the multiplayer mode only magnifies it more. It's really a stellar game, and anybody who owns a 3ds should at least give it a try. Expand
  16. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't think I've ever been more anticipated for a game. I really looked forward to the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising, as I couldn't wait to try out a series that I hadn't played yet by Nintendo (As the original Kid Icarus games came out before I was born in '99) and well, it was pretty awesome. The plot of the game is ok at best. everything is great up until chapter 9. then, it feels like the plot is just throwing in anything it can. it makes no sense to have all these plot elements suddenly pop up after chapter 9. yeah, the plot twist with Hades being the actual villain was pretty cool, but that's about it. there are also many points where something goes nowhere, like Medusa getting killed by Hades. it feels underdeveloped. the gameplay is pretty good. the switching between on-rails shooting and third-person shooting was pretty clever, and it does the gameplay very well. the only problem is the controls, the game's worst aspect. the controls feel mixed and confusing, and it's hard to figure out a proper control set-up. maybe it's better with circle pad pro, but since I don't own that, i'm left with regular controls. though, if you get used to a control scheme, it isn't as bad, and starts to feel natural. The music is very well done in the game. each track is pretty catchy, with the exception of a few forgettable ones. some other things I really liked about the game were weapons and multiplayer. There are tons of weapons to collect in the game, each with randomized stats, and it always makes me want to get more weapons and combine them to get more weapons with different stats. Multiplayer is really fun. there may be only 2 modes, but the maps and system of getting new items for winning will always bring you back. Overall, Kid Icarus: Uprising is a pretty good 3DS title that you should get. the plot may be underdeveloped, and the controls are hard to get used to, but the gameplay, weapon system, and multiplayer will keep you occupied. Expand
  17. Jul 17, 2014
    I REALLY want to give this a 10, but the controls are pretty bad; my hands and wrists get very sore during every play session. Once you get past that, it is a FANTASTIC game.
  18. Apr 6, 2012
    I like this game a lot. The air battles are a lot of fun, and making them a maximum of five minutes long lets you get to ground battles sooner. The ground battlles, which I expected to be complicated and difficult to grasp, were actually easy and fluid. Over all, I love this game! I only have 2 reasons for giving this game a 9 rather than a 10. First, the weapons, despite their uniqueness,I like this game a lot. The air battles are a lot of fun, and making them a maximum of five minutes long lets you get to ground battles sooner. The ground battlles, which I expected to be complicated and difficult to grasp, were actually easy and fluid. Over all, I love this game! I only have 2 reasons for giving this game a 9 rather than a 10. First, the weapons, despite their uniqueness, are hard to differ. There are only two ways to find out how they are different from one another (within the same catagory): obtain its idol and use it. Long story short, the games needs an "info" button when selecting it. Second, when you play "light vs. dark" in together mode, if you become the angel, the game gives you a random weapon. Despite those two minor flaws, I loved the game! Expand
  19. Mar 23, 2012
    This game shows exceptional polish in a lot of spaces but the controls may be on the frustrating side for gamers that aren't used to this sort of configuration. With that said, the stand that comes packaged with it helps a great deal. Music is phenomenal in that it is high quality, emotive and sets a good tone. the story itself i can't claim to know all of it as i have only played throughThis game shows exceptional polish in a lot of spaces but the controls may be on the frustrating side for gamers that aren't used to this sort of configuration. With that said, the stand that comes packaged with it helps a great deal. Music is phenomenal in that it is high quality, emotive and sets a good tone. the story itself i can't claim to know all of it as i have only played through about 4 missions so far... and from what i can tell it seems as if they're trying to lay the groundwork for an experience that seems like it's poised to go deeper. It had an enormous amount of hype leading up to release so naturally there is a sort of "high" for a lot of users (and i can't claim to be immune either) but from what i can tell, it's a solid game with a lot of extras as well as the difficulty scale which can be adjusted to suit your gaming experience. do you want to be challenged and have a brutally tough gaming experience? you can have that. do you want to coast through the game, you can have that as well.

all in all, it's a solid 9. it gets points taken from the controls (which will feel clunky to people new to this sort of configuration until they learn to adapt to it) but otherwise a solid title that feels poised to re-launch the KI franchise with a good success.
  20. Aug 10, 2012
    My review for Kid Icarus uprising, the gameplay looked great but still. The graphics looked awesome! The story is so freaking funny. Multiplayer seems fun but i enjoyed it. I love the game A Must buy
  21. Dec 22, 2014
    FANTASTIC! Kid Icarus makes a return after decades and it shows nintendo owns many great ips they havent been using. I highly recommend this game to all 3ds owners who like greek mythology or just want an AWESOME GAME!
  22. Aug 28, 2012
    This game was made for the Nintendo 3DS XL. I just (grudgingly) upgraded for the bigger screen. Makes all the difference with this game (surprised by how much, actually.) Sure, it's nice to have a big screen for Mario and such. But you don't really need it. But this game, huge difference. First, while the control system is unconventional and takes some getting used to, the XL makesThis game was made for the Nintendo 3DS XL. I just (grudgingly) upgraded for the bigger screen. Makes all the difference with this game (surprised by how much, actually.) Sure, it's nice to have a big screen for Mario and such. But you don't really need it. But this game, huge difference. First, while the control system is unconventional and takes some getting used to, the XL makes it a lot easier to adjust to thanks to it being a lot more comfortable to hold. And the XL's bigger screen makes all the difference too. This is a game where, especially on the higher difficulty levels, dodging incoming fire is essential. And the big screen is a godsend for that. If you've got a new 3DS XL, you owe it to yourself to check out this game. Expand
  23. May 10, 2012
    Finally, a truly original game for the 3DS. I absolutely loved Mario 3D land and Mario Kart , but it was a tried and true formula. Kid Icarus is something new from Nintendo. Half of it is an on rail shooter and the other half is a third person action game. Both parts are equally fun to me. First off, the graphics are satisfying. As Pit flies through the sky and battles monster, it looksFinally, a truly original game for the 3DS. I absolutely loved Mario 3D land and Mario Kart , but it was a tried and true formula. Kid Icarus is something new from Nintendo. Half of it is an on rail shooter and the other half is a third person action game. Both parts are equally fun to me. First off, the graphics are satisfying. As Pit flies through the sky and battles monster, it looks great the whole time. The story mode is extremely satisfying and really epic and funny at times. I absolutely love the weapons in this game. You can buy them and fuse them to make even more powerful weapons. It's absolutely genius. I would say the biggest problem with the game is the controls, but you get used to it fast and can change them to best fit your style. The multiplayer is what's going to keep you coming back. It's really hectic and really fun. I highly recommend this to any 3DS owner and is another huge reason to own a 3DS. Expand
  24. Aug 21, 2013
    Nintendo chose the perfect franchise to utilize the arcade shooter touch-screen gameplay of Uprising. It is a fairly original experience with loads of amount of content and unlockables. The ranging difficulty levels and online modes will also get you to come back for more.

There is a large learning curve to the control scheme, but once you get past that, Kid Icarus Uprising has a lot of entertainment to offer.
  25. May 3, 2012
    Short and sweet, this is a great game with small hindrances. The flying and multiplayer sections are all fun and exciting yet the ground sections are not so great. The controls for the ground sections are just odd and the stand that comes only helps out a little bit. Also, the dialogue is some of the most hilarious dialogue next to Portal 2. The graphics are fantastic and the replayShort and sweet, this is a great game with small hindrances. The flying and multiplayer sections are all fun and exciting yet the ground sections are not so great. The controls for the ground sections are just odd and the stand that comes only helps out a little bit. Also, the dialogue is some of the most hilarious dialogue next to Portal 2. The graphics are fantastic and the replay value is crazy. Overall, one of those games that any 3DS owner should get! Expand
  26. Feb 6, 2013
    This game is awesome. The dialogues are such fun and everything is an explosion of action, motion and vivacity. The air battle are my faves, because I love to shoot enemies while watching the environment beneath me, and it's also easier to dodge attacks. There is plenty of weapons and the challenges are many. The controls are different from every other game and at first they could be aThis game is awesome. The dialogues are such fun and everything is an explosion of action, motion and vivacity. The air battle are my faves, because I love to shoot enemies while watching the environment beneath me, and it's also easier to dodge attacks. There is plenty of weapons and the challenges are many. The controls are different from every other game and at first they could be a little frustrating, but when you'll get used to them, you'll go just fine. Expand
  27. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is the best possible title on the 3DS: best soundtrack, best effects, most extensive content, by far best controls, and the very best replay value of the entire 3DS library. From learning the controls to increasing difficulty, unlocking the goodies and going through the story, this title keeps you coming back. The first few sessions as a beginner are rough because you willThis game is the best possible title on the 3DS: best soundtrack, best effects, most extensive content, by far best controls, and the very best replay value of the entire 3DS library. From learning the controls to increasing difficulty, unlocking the goodies and going through the story, this title keeps you coming back. The first few sessions as a beginner are rough because you will inevitably need to adapt to the controls before you're fully submerged into game play... but once that's over and done with it feels just as powerful as keyboard and mouse. Then you can increase difficulty and really get your senses going. Rarely does a game require every single gamer skill to be at 100% without getting too frustrating. They hit a perfect balance. Expand
  28. Apr 6, 2012
    I finally finished the game and I have to say my final verdict is that this is the best 3DS game to date. I'll start with controls since that's what most people complained about. The truth is that the controls are not bad at all, they are just different than any game that's out there right now and it takes time to get used to. Once you overcome the challenge of the learning curve, youI finally finished the game and I have to say my final verdict is that this is the best 3DS game to date. I'll start with controls since that's what most people complained about. The truth is that the controls are not bad at all, they are just different than any game that's out there right now and it takes time to get used to. Once you overcome the challenge of the learning curve, you will find that you can control pit perfectly fine. The hand cramp issue exists with any fast paced stylus controlled game, you just have to learn to play in smaller 1-2 hour spurts. The music is some of the best I've ever heard in a game in a long time. The story is fun, well paced, dynamic, and carefully integrated into the game so that it doesn't feel like story and play time are completely separated. There are a lot of fun, memorable characters that were introduced. The game's weapon fusing, buying, selling, testing, and even gem swapping add a nice touch to the games complexity. The weapons are all very different and can have different stats depending on what you fuse. There are a TON of unlockables, secrets, and extra challenges that wait for those looking for a game to last them a while. The story mode should take you about 12-15 hours, but you still have a lot to do once you beat it. You can play against others online or locally any time, you can go back to levels and play on higher difficulties to get even better weapons or get higher scores. You can go through the achievement treasure hunts to unlock even more stuff. The artwork and visuals looked very high quality and the design was very unique. The 3D effects in the game do actually work very well, I found my self turning it on and off depending on the intensity of the game.

All in all, this is game was very refreshing and very satisfying. It is great for both novice and veteran gamers alike. If you are looking to break away from the repetitive game designs that plague the industry today, then I strongly recommend this title.
  29. Apr 5, 2012
    Just to clear a few things up, the control is not very good if you are left handed, maybe you might have some trouble as a right handed person but for me (right handed) it is not really a problem, just takes some more flicks to turn the camera around but this game is more linear and straight forward so enemies won't really appear directly behind you, i will talk more about this game laterJust to clear a few things up, the control is not very good if you are left handed, maybe you might have some trouble as a right handed person but for me (right handed) it is not really a problem, just takes some more flicks to turn the camera around but this game is more linear and straight forward so enemies won't really appear directly behind you, i will talk more about this game later but right now it is something worth checking out, get it from a place with a full refund policy. Expand
  30. May 25, 2015
    This game has everything I want. I love it's graphics, the 3D effects, it has my favorite soundtrack of all time, the gameplay is perfect, it has plenty of content, the weapon system is very deep, the multiplayer is fun any time, the plot was great, the dialogue is great, and the controls were amazing. I don't think this game would work with any other type of controls and I feel bad forThis game has everything I want. I love it's graphics, the 3D effects, it has my favorite soundtrack of all time, the gameplay is perfect, it has plenty of content, the weapon system is very deep, the multiplayer is fun any time, the plot was great, the dialogue is great, and the controls were amazing. I don't think this game would work with any other type of controls and I feel bad for people who couldn't adjust to them so that they could enjoy them for what they were. I think this is the best 3DS game still as of May 2015 and it was definitely my game of the year for 2012. This game will forever go down as one of my favorite games of all time and I hope it's never forgotten by others. It deserves the highest praise possible. I love this game. Expand
  31. Nov 9, 2012
    Awesome graphics, 3D and gameplay. Yes, it'll take some time before you can handle the stylus with expertise, but it's a new way of controlling games, and it works very well, you just have to try to learn how to do it, and not just complain and give up as a grumpy old man.
  32. Mar 25, 2012
    Kid Icarus Uprising is the 3DS's flagship game of 2012, and it's a great one. This game is very fun, packed full of amazing content, and is addicting to the point where you'll keep coming back for more. This game was developed by Nintendo's very own Project Sora, the team responsible for the fantastic Super Smash Bros. series, and although this may not be the best game they've made, it'sKid Icarus Uprising is the 3DS's flagship game of 2012, and it's a great one. This game is very fun, packed full of amazing content, and is addicting to the point where you'll keep coming back for more. This game was developed by Nintendo's very own Project Sora, the team responsible for the fantastic Super Smash Bros. series, and although this may not be the best game they've made, it's still one that deserves plenty of attention. It's a great example of what the 3DS is capable of, and will likely serve as a template for 3DS games to come. Basically, Uprising is a shooter that has two play modes. Single player campaign, and of course, multiplayer. In the campaign, you play as the angelic Pit, who fights the forces of the underworld for the goddess of light, Palutena. Each level begins with a flying sequence, and later goes into a land battle. Flying sequences play very similarly to StarFox. Pit flies on rails, controlled by Palutena, and you're job is to fly Pit around the screen while shooting underworld forces that attack you, while Palutena guides you towards your objective. It's addicting, and the opening flying sequences alone can keep you playing for hours, but there's also the land sequence, which you'll be spending most of your play time doing. Land battles aren't as fun as the flying sequences, and suffer from the games awkward controls (we'll get to that in a minute). Still, the land sequences are fun, and can prove to be really challenging and intense. Basically, land battles are sequences of getting from point A to point B while destroying any enemies that are thrown at you along the way as well as collecting treasure that can be used later, until finally you reach the boss at the end. Defeat the boss, and you'll beat the level, and earn rewards. Weapons, powers, hearts, and even achievements. Hearts, however, are very important, as you need them to buy new gear, fuse gems that you get from StreetPass tags, as well as bet on each level you play. The difficulty of the level you play determines how many hearts you'll earn in your fight. The harder the difficulty, the more hearts you'll earn, and vice-versa. But if you die, you lose the hearts you bet, and difficulty will automatically go down as your penalty, so be careful how much you bet. Betting can be bad for you after all. Once you've started earning weapons, however, you can begin fusing them to create better gear. This game is literally packed full of a ton of content, meaning there are more than a fair amount of weapons to choose from. From claws, to bows, to blade, to staves, to many others. You'll have plenty a variety to choose from once you progress, so get ready to experiment from up to 100 different weapons. Then there's multiplayer, where you can play either Light vs Dark (Team Deathmatch) 3 vs 3, or Free for All. You can play online, or locally, and any gear you obtain in the single player campaign can be used online. And of course, you can invite your online friends to play with you. Each team has a health bar, and when you die, the health bar decreases. The first team to lose all their health is the loser. Eventually, though, once the teams health bar reaches a certain point, the last player to die will become that teams Pit, or Dark Pit if you're on the Dark Team. That player then becomes the last resort, and if he dies, the team loses. So once the opposing Pit appears, the goal is to defeat him. However, the person who becomes Pit or Dark Pit gets enhanced abilities and health, so don't think you can kill him as easily as the others. The game is fantastic, and of course 3D looks great. Dialog in the campaign is corky and entertaining, and will give you a few laughs. There's just one problem with this game that prevents it from being a 10, and I'm sure people already know where this is going. I'm talking, of course, about the controls. Uprising is controlled by moving Pit around with the circle pad, while aiming with the stylus-touchscreen combo, and shooting/melee with the L button. And believe me, this takes getting used to. I'm actually pretty shocked that Sora didn't include a dual analog option with the Circle Pad Pro, but I think they were trying to go with the more accurate route of stylus since this alternative really is much more accurate for a shooter this intense. Still, It would've been nice to have the option for players who aren't as daring. But the good news is, though the controls sound awkward, it really doesn't take long to get used to. And once you've figured out the controls, you'll have a blast with this game. But if you're stil grieving for dual analog, then get yourself a thumb stylus, or a DS Wrist Strap. That'll solve your problem. But overall, Uprising is a fantastic 3D shooter adventure that's well worth the money. Kid Icarus Uprising gets a 9/10 from me. :) Expand
  33. Jun 8, 2014
    Graphics, gameplay, Bosses. Replay value, depth... Kid Icarus Uprising has it all. Sure the controls are a bit weird at first but within a few hours you will feel comfortable with them and after a week or so you will not be able to imagine playing it any other way.
    The stand that comes with the game is fine but I preferred to not use it. The best method I found was to balance the 3ds on my right pinkie and hold the stylus between the right thumb and index finger. The left hand is business as usual in that thumb controls stick and index fires button.

This game is just an all round wonderful experience and perhaps the most brilliant gaming experience I've had with the 3ds since Fire Emblem and Resident Evil Revelations.

This ones a masterpiece people and Nintendo have once again shown the competition how it's done.
  34. Sep 28, 2014
    I think this is the most underrated game for the 3DS. It's really great and close to be perfect. I am a fan of Hack n' Slash games and this one is one of my personal favourite.So many complaints about the control, but it took me short time to get used to it. This is a must for any 3DS owners
  35. Mar 17, 2014
    This game is wonderful! The controls are a bit strange and I get tired from holding my 3DS with one hand, but the story is full of surprises, the characters are funny and very memorable/lovable, levels can be easy yet challenging, decent multiplayer, overall a very good game.
  36. Mar 24, 2012
    I am not sure if most people are either really lazy and broody, or the critics didn't get a full featured game. MOST of the problems people have with the controls can be fixed in the options menu. There are multiple control schemes, and the sensitivity can be adjusted on the X Axis when you're on the ground. (95% of "control" issues.) Then you're off to an excellent game. It doesI am not sure if most people are either really lazy and broody, or the critics didn't get a full featured game. MOST of the problems people have with the controls can be fixed in the options menu. There are multiple control schemes, and the sensitivity can be adjusted on the X Axis when you're on the ground. (95% of "control" issues.) Then you're off to an excellent game. It does take getting used to, but it's not really all that bad. People just love to complain. It's a great game, don't let all the negative sentiment about the controls bother you. If you have a 3DS, get it. Expand
  37. Jan 25, 2013
    For a sequel to a game that hadn't seen light in almost 20 years Uprising really was a surprising gem. Fast, customizable combat, full on voice acting, a fun story, beautiful visuals, and amazing online make this one of the best titles on 3DS still even to this day. While many have complain about uncomfortable controls I have yet to ever have a problem with them.
  38. Aug 27, 2012
    Controls are a bit uncomfortable at first, but your hand will eventually get used to it. Other than that, the game is perfect. The music, the graphics, everything. Just be patient with the controls and you will be rewarded by the game. Please note that this is coming from someone who is left-handed and has never even laid hands on a Circle Pad Pro.
  39. Aug 28, 2014
    Anyone complaining about the controls didn't even remotely spend any time with the game.
    This is a masterpiece, the greatest game ever made on a handheld.
    Sakurai created Super Smash bros, Sakurai created Kirby Super Star, and Sakurai created this masterpiece. You need to play this game.
  40. Jun 29, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ah, Kid Icarus: Uprising. This is my favorite game on the Nintendo 3DS, and I wish it was more well-known. The huge weapon variety offers very different gameplay styles, as each weapon is very different from one another. Unlocking idols is a surprisingly neat adition to the game. The soundtrack... oh, my goodness. Nintendo games tend to have very good sountrack, but this game has the overall BEST videogame soundtrack I've ever heard. Lightning Battle, Boss Fight 1 & 2, Dark Pit's Theme, The Reaper's Line of Sight, Aurum Island, and others are some amazing music compositions. The aerial battles are really fun, but the ground battles are top notch. The dialogues are hilarious, and Hades is an amazing villain. The controls are a bit weird, but extremely precise and responsive. The only problems with the game are the fact that aerial battles are a bit repetitive, and land battles lack freedom of exploration. Also, I wish Hearts had more uses. Overall this game is amazing, and it's one of my favorites Expand
  41. Mar 23, 2012
    this is almost perfect game only controls are little annoying. i cant understand who can hate this game.this game is too cool for 3ds thats why sucks controls
  42. Mar 23, 2012
    A shining example of a game shining despite its flaws, Kid Icarus Uprising's witty dialogue, fantastic visuals and wealth of content manage to make it great despite difficult controls. A must buy.
  43. Apr 29, 2012
    Kid Icarus Uprising is an absolute blast to play, has a fantastic soundtrack, and has wonderful graphics and art design, with gameplay that is simple but at the same time very complex and challenging if you want it to be. The difficulty is perfectly scalable to your skill level and the variety of fun and exiting weapons is just plain awesome, and managing your weapons and fusing oldKid Icarus Uprising is an absolute blast to play, has a fantastic soundtrack, and has wonderful graphics and art design, with gameplay that is simple but at the same time very complex and challenging if you want it to be. The difficulty is perfectly scalable to your skill level and the variety of fun and exiting weapons is just plain awesome, and managing your weapons and fusing old weapons to create new and exiting ones is very intriguing. Although the surprisingly long and highly replayable single player is the main bulk of the package the multiplayer is really exiting as well, and works exactly how it should. If you enjoy this game like I have, you will be playing it for months, if not years because of just how much fun it is and how much content is packed in here. But if I'm talking about Kid Icarus Uprising, then I can't help to mention the controls, and the truth is, they work very well. For anyone used to dual analog control it may be difficult to get used to the controls at first, but once you do you'll realize that the controls deliver an accuracy that dual analog cannot. One thing about the controls however that I believe I should mention is the fact that after prolonged periods of gaming, say one and a half to two hours, your hand may start to cramp, however because of the relatively short levels for the most part in the game and the nature of the gamepay which is best enjoyed in short controlled bursts, it shouldn't be a problem, unless of course if you're having such a blast you simply cannot put your 3ds down. I have played this game for a total of 26 hours now and I'm still regularly coming back for more. Another thing I should mention is that even though a lot of the gameplay aspects are different than the original kid icarus, it still maintains a lot of the feel of the original, and still feels like a kid icarus game. Oh, and the voice acting is great too, which is great because otherwise the non-stop dialogue would be a little tedious. Overall this game is absolutely fantastic and anyone with a 3ds needs to play it. It is one of the best reasons, if not the VERY best reason (beside super mario 3d land) to own a 3ds. You will not be dissapointed. Expand
  44. Oct 14, 2014
    Great game, packed with content and all... But I just cannot forgive it how tiring it is to play, how chaotic the multiplayer is and how the humor here and there feels a little forced. Still, this is just 2 points down, because the graphics, depth and weapon system are spotless. You should at least check out this game.
  45. May 6, 2012
    Wanna make this short and sweet this is great game and you should own it.

it has wealth of options and online play!!

yea controls are fiddly to get the hang of but like all good gamers. We learn and become better at it. there's so much to unlock and its a game that has more surprises then meets the eye!

Don't take my word for it! just try it yourself:P
  46. Jul 25, 2013
    Kid icarus: Uprising is one of the best games on the Nintendo 3DS so far. The story is amazing fill with humor and laughs. The gameplay is fun and easy to use. The boss fights are challenging and hard to defeat. The graphes looks amazing and the voice is spot on. The only thing I hate about it is that mutilplayer is fun, but there no reason to go back for it. If our a Nintendo fan youKid icarus: Uprising is one of the best games on the Nintendo 3DS so far. The story is amazing fill with humor and laughs. The gameplay is fun and easy to use. The boss fights are challenging and hard to defeat. The graphes looks amazing and the voice is spot on. The only thing I hate about it is that mutilplayer is fun, but there no reason to go back for it. If our a Nintendo fan you should at it to our collection. Expand
  47. Apr 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never had this much fun with the 3DS in my life! Kid Icarus: Uprising has everything a gamer would want! To start off, the controls are really good and I didn't my hands cramped at all. The bosses are great and challenging too. There are soooo many weapons to choose from and each weapon you pick up will have extra stats and buffs, making the replay value LIMITLESS! The overall gameplay is blood-pumping and will always keep you on your toes when in singleplayer or multiplayer. Speaking of that, it's really good and I never encountered any lag. The best parts about this game are easily the characters and dialogue. All the cast members are more unique than the last and always put up a good laugh. This ESPECIALLY goes for Hades! I would say that this game is near perfect and one of my all-time favorites. And if they release a sequel on the Wii U, I would buy it in a heartbeat! Expand
  48. Feb 9, 2013
    A fairly different game.The combat works well though and I enjoy both the land and air sections.The weapon system is incredibly good and the effort from Nintendo to make this work has been good.(I've been to two Kid Icarus events) Easily the best 3DS game of 2012.
  49. Jun 20, 2012
    It's fun, fast paced and very charming. Though it has such a VERY cheesy sense of humor it's still enjoyable even if in some occasions you feel embarrassed by what the character say in one of their nineteen billion lines of dialogue. but leaving that aside let's talk about the controls. yes they get uncomfortable but they only annoy you for the first minutes unless if you're some kind ofIt's fun, fast paced and very charming. Though it has such a VERY cheesy sense of humor it's still enjoyable even if in some occasions you feel embarrassed by what the character say in one of their nineteen billion lines of dialogue. but leaving that aside let's talk about the controls. yes they get uncomfortable but they only annoy you for the first minutes unless if you're some kind of spoiled **** who thinks everything must be made at their liking and cannot adapt to anything more complex that yelling and strangers in XBLA. the controls are easy to understand and you don't need that stupid stand that bundles with the game and if you're incapable of holding a light device with only your left hand then I highly suggest you to switch hands for your fun times! Expand
  50. Sep 18, 2012
    This is one of the best games i\\\'ve ever played in my life. It has an incredible story that is told through dialogues (among the best to ever be writen to a game), an amazing soundtrack, maybe the best nintendo has ever made and a new control scheme. It is reason enough to buy a 3ds.
  51. Dec 8, 2013
    While the controls do take a little getting used to, they work great. The story and dialogue are also well written (for the most part) and the gameplay is fun the whole way through. The multiplayer is also surprisingly good, and the game's replay value is top-notch with the huge multitude of unlockables and weapons, although I wish single-player was a bit longer. Definitely worth buying ifWhile the controls do take a little getting used to, they work great. The story and dialogue are also well written (for the most part) and the gameplay is fun the whole way through. The multiplayer is also surprisingly good, and the game's replay value is top-notch with the huge multitude of unlockables and weapons, although I wish single-player was a bit longer. Definitely worth buying if you're willing get used to the controls. Expand
  52. Oct 8, 2013
    I haven't been this impressed by a game since Super Smash Bros Melee.

Part of each level plays like Star Fox, while the bulk of it plays like a 3rd person arcade shooter hack-em-up depending on your play style. The menus are just like the ones in Super Smash Bros Brawl, and the multiplayer is like a 3D version of what we all wished the SSBB online multiplayer had been. The controls
    I haven't been this impressed by a game since Super Smash Bros Melee.

The controls seemed clunky at first, but not hard to get used to.

There are tons of things to unlock, and in depth customization for both single and multiplayer.

The story is very entertaining. No spoilers, just play it.

There is almost constant chatting between characters during gameplay. It's very helpful and interesting the first time through, but can get old fast (especially Pit's occasional jokes). Turn the "Voices" volume to 0 in the options menu if you don't like it.

The difficulty and deaths system is the most balanced one I've ever seen. Ever.

The graphics are beautiful. I showed it to some relatives and the reaction was "If they can do that on this little screen, why can't they make 3D TVs look this good?"

The music is great. I don't pay that much attention to it in most games but there's certainly nothing to complain about here.

The online multiplayer is the best Nintendo has achieved to date. It's pretty addictive.
  53. Mar 23, 2012
    Amazing game. Even after just a few hours in I can safely say that this is the most ambitious and best 3DS game to date and easily better than Super Mario 3D Land. Visually, it looks stunning and makes excellent use of the 3D effect. I would say Mario 3D Land looks slightly better overall, but Uprising just feels so much more vast and impressive even in the on rails air sections.Amazing game. Even after just a few hours in I can safely say that this is the most ambitious and best 3DS game to date and easily better than Super Mario 3D Land. Visually, it looks stunning and makes excellent use of the 3D effect. I would say Mario 3D Land looks slightly better overall, but Uprising just feels so much more vast and impressive even in the on rails air sections. Speaking of the air sections are a blast to play. Think something along the lines of Sin and Punishment 2 for the Wii, but offer a greater choice of weaponry and as a result give a slightly more varied experience. The controls for these sections are pretty fluid and it feels really fast paced and action packed. The other main gameplay style of the game are the ground sections. These offer full control over Pit as you defeat Medusa's troops to progress forward. These sections are varied with different kinds of cool and unconventional platforming elements are seldom feel stale. The only criticism is with how these control. Not the responsiveness of it since everything feels tight and responsive but more how cramped it can feel. However, one can quickly adjust and as a result properly enjoy all the amazing things Kid Icarus has to offer in terms of gameplay and content. In typical Sakurai fashion, this game has loads of content. More so than any game on the 3DS so far and it makes Mario 3D Land looks absolutely minuscule by comparison. Various multiplayer modes, weapon collection and customisation, numerous difficulty settings. This game has so much to offer. All this coupled with pleasant and light-hearted story, amazing soundtrack, great level of overall challenge and accessibility and excellent presentation, Kid Icarus Uprising is easily the best game on the 3DS. Expand
  54. Mar 25, 2012
    This game is the start of a new high standard Nintendo First part game. Amazing story, humor, voice acting, combat, collectables, and multiplayer. The game has many hardcore parts and cinematics that you would not expect from a Nintendo game. The multiplayer is balanced and extremely fun. This has been the best Nintendo game in forever and I cannot wait to see more games in the series.This game is the start of a new high standard Nintendo First part game. Amazing story, humor, voice acting, combat, collectables, and multiplayer. The game has many hardcore parts and cinematics that you would not expect from a Nintendo game. The multiplayer is balanced and extremely fun. This has been the best Nintendo game in forever and I cannot wait to see more games in the series. Welcome back Pit, you are here to stay! Expand
  55. Mar 24, 2012
    The game is very fun and challenging in some areas. While the controls might take some getting used to, they didn't bother me too much. What was really surprising was how good it looked. I don't care what others say, it does look good, especially for a handheld. The funny and nicely done dialogue also adds to the game.The story mode is very fun and has good gameplay. The online isThe game is very fun and challenging in some areas. While the controls might take some getting used to, they didn't bother me too much. What was really surprising was how good it looked. I don't care what others say, it does look good, especially for a handheld. The funny and nicely done dialogue also adds to the game.The story mode is very fun and has good gameplay. The online is also pretty fun. Overall, this is an amazing game. Expand
  56. Mar 23, 2012
    Fantastic game that was unfairly bashed by critics for its controls. Listen, you can change the controls to ANYTHING you want them to be. It takes 10 minutes to find the perfect setting for you and after that it's nothing but awesome gameplay, music, graphics, and endless collectables and online play. Don't listen to the biased Nintendo haters that rate every game a 0 because they'reFantastic game that was unfairly bashed by critics for its controls. Listen, you can change the controls to ANYTHING you want them to be. It takes 10 minutes to find the perfect setting for you and after that it's nothing but awesome gameplay, music, graphics, and endless collectables and online play. Don't listen to the biased Nintendo haters that rate every game a 0 because they're jealous - BUY THIS GAME. Support Nintendo for its original, fresh ideas like this. If this flops, it's YOUR fault if Nintendo doesn't take chances on new franchises (or reviving fan-favorite franchises) again. I guarantee this is better than the crap you buy like Call of Duty every year. Expand
  57. Apr 3, 2012
    LOVE THIS GAME! The controls are a little hard to understand at first but in under 5 minutes you'll get the picture. This game is INCREDIBLY fast-paced...which is awesome. The Dialogue in the game is also funny as a naked bunny. BEST $40.00 EVER...
  58. Nov 28, 2013
    Okay. Kid Icarus was such a forgotten franchise that this seems almost like a new series. And the rebirth of the franchise was definitely quite impressive.

The graphics look great, especially in 3D. The game's story, despite its overly winding path, is entertaining. And the cast of characters is very well done. And I must testify that the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. Voice acting is also great, though the lines get a little too cheesy sometimes.

The controls are the most common complaint, and while I'll admit they're not completely secure, they are tolerable, at least to me. Growing accustomed to them isn't all that hard, and the game is so enjoyable that I've overlooked the control scheme.

Online play is absolutely incredible in this game, despite the framerate problems and occasional D/C. And the weapons fusion system is clever and addicting.

Typically I'm not a fan of action games all that much, but I definitely made an exception for this one. A must-own for 3DS gamers.

+ Incredible soundtrack
    + Very nice reinvention of the Kid Icarus universe
    + Online play is extremely addictive
    + Weapon fusion is an amazing feature

- Controls aren't the greatest
    - Repetitive level design
    - Story attempts too many twists and the dialogue is very cheesy

PRESENTATION: 8.5/10
    CORE GAME: 7.5/10
    VISUALS: 8.5/10
    AUDIO: 9.5/10
    GAMEPLAY: 8/10
    LASTING APPEAL: 10/10

Overall Score: 8/10
  59. Aug 14, 2014
    yes i know.. the controls may take a little time to master.
    but hey, this could be one of the most addictive games for any 3DS owner
    Gameplay: 9.5 (i took 0.5 out cause of the length of some levels) Graphics: 10 (probably the best I've seen on the 3DS) Soundtracks: 10 (one of the greatest in the history of video games) + a LOT of extras and unlockable weapons and portraits and the
    yes i know.. the controls may take a little time to master.
    but hey, this could be one of the most addictive games for any 3DS owner

Gameplay: 9.5 (i took 0.5 out cause of the length of some levels)
    Graphics: 10 (probably the best I've seen on the 3DS)
    Soundtracks: 10 (one of the greatest in the history of video games)
    + a LOT of extras and unlockable weapons and portraits and the use of game coins.... etc.
  60. Jul 3, 2015
    Coming from Super Smash Bros. and Kirby series director Masahiro Sakurai, this game was destined to be great. Being one of the few revivals of a classic series that deserved and needed it, this game takes a new perspective on the franchise, adding in great humor, plot twists, and many other things to make the game truly unique. The story begins with Pit and Palutena finding out thatComing from Super Smash Bros. and Kirby series director Masahiro Sakurai, this game was destined to be great. Being one of the few revivals of a classic series that deserved and needed it, this game takes a new perspective on the franchise, adding in great humor, plot twists, and many other things to make the game truly unique. The story begins with Pit and Palutena finding out that Medusa, the villain from the original NES game, has been mysteriously revived. Thus Pit is sent on a mission to find out why and how she is alive again. As for game play, the game is essentially a third-person shooter, with some awkward controls, but you can get used to them in about 3 chapters. As for music, it is amazing. Having many orchestral pieces, with the occasional guitar thrown in. In all, the game is amazing. 10/10 indefinitely, and a title that everyone should, but probably not, play. Definitely pick it up if you want to play a game in the series. Expand
  61. Feb 16, 2015
    What a wonderful surprise this game was. I guess the "hardest" part would be the controls, but honestly, I got used to them fairly quick. I have large hands and it wasn't a problem on my 3DS XL. Oh, and I should mention I'm left-handed, too. Really, I was able to get used to it really fast...

But the game itself is awesome. Beautiful visuals. A TON of customization and re-playability. Solid online play. Hell, even the quirky voice acting is top notch. At first I thought it would get annoying, but its deprecating nature and tendency to break the fourth wall actually make for a very charming and dare I say sometimes hilarious experience.

Kid Icarus is one of those games that is simply satisfying to play, while staying challenging the whole time. This is one of the best games in my 3DS collection. Highly highly recommended!
  62. Mar 23, 2012
    This game is a gem. I already received it two days ago and am about 3/4 through the campaign, which is an arcade shooter at large. The story is great and the presentation even better, lots of snarky und back handed comments about everything. The graphic is more cartoony, but in terms of quality right up there with Resident Evil: Revelations. The controls need some practice time and theThis game is a gem. I already received it two days ago and am about 3/4 through the campaign, which is an arcade shooter at large. The story is great and the presentation even better, lots of snarky und back handed comments about everything. The graphic is more cartoony, but in terms of quality right up there with Resident Evil: Revelations. The controls need some practice time and the use of the stand is heavily advised, but when you get over that initial frustrating bump the controls are the most precise you could wish for for a shooter on a handheld. The campaign has tons of replayability due to the highly customizable difficulty setting. The game truly challenges you to master it and unlock better and better gear. So today I went to try some Multiplayer and boy, this is amazing. I played together with some friends on skype and I honestly can't remember the last time I had that much fun playing online. Multiplayer is squad based 3on3 with some twists. The weapons are all very unique and everyone has a well defined role. Overall this game is amazing. If you like Metroid Prime Hunters and Smash Brothers, this game is your destiny. Go get this game. Do it....do it. Expand
  63. Mar 23, 2012
    Kid Icarus : Uprising is many things. But it's not perfect
    Although the most fun experience of gaming on the 3DS Kid Icarus : Uprising only has small downsides.
    The controls although great can get annoying sometimes. But this annoyance rarely happens for me so its cool. The gameplay is great and the game is chock full of content. You'll never get bored! I got my copy early , Yesterday
    Kid Icarus : Uprising is many things. But it's not perfect

I got my copy early , Yesterday morning and im having a lot of fun.
    The Multiplayer is crazy addictive although there can be the usual spammers that are annoying just like every multiplayer But other than that Kid Icarus : Uprising is the penultimate Third-Person shooter for the 3DS.
    It is a MUST own for its
    + Fun Gameplay
    + Great Story
    + Addictive Multiplayer
    + Loads of content!
    + So many different kinds of weapons to use
  64. Mar 25, 2012
    I have one main thing to say...THIS GAME IS FUN! It is a rail shooter like the Sin and Punishment games (which are awesome btw). The controls are initialy wierd, but now they are fine to me. The PvP/Online play were great also. I ran into no lag, felt balenced, and challenging.

I would highly recommend this game.
  65. May 1, 2012
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is packed nearly to the brim with carrots to chase, ranging from a multitude of achievements to unlock, hearts to amass, weapons to hoard, secondary powers to equip and an ingenious gambling mechanic to attempt tackling higher difficulty levels. It's crazy to imagine such a tall order of entertainment is available on a handheld. As much as I enjoy Uprising, it's hardKid Icarus: Uprising is packed nearly to the brim with carrots to chase, ranging from a multitude of achievements to unlock, hearts to amass, weapons to hoard, secondary powers to equip and an ingenious gambling mechanic to attempt tackling higher difficulty levels. It's crazy to imagine such a tall order of entertainment is available on a handheld. As much as I enjoy Uprising, it's hard not to question the control scheme and be let down that my enjoyment had to be constantly interrupted by breaks to recuperate. With frequent reminders to rest, it would have been nice if there were mini-games available that didn't rely on the stylus controls. As is, I cannot recommend this game enough to 3DS owners looking to get a lot out of the portable and to those on the fence about the 3DS altogether. I might not have thought to spend a lot of time with the Kid Icarus series before, but now I can only hope the goddesses keep Pit around for good. Expand
  66. May 3, 2014
    Kid Icarus Uprising is a wonderfully created 3rd person shooter AND on rails shooter. The game constantly keeps you on your toes, and you will enjoy every second. The game features the ability to craft your own weapons with special attributes, it's a wonderful touch but after two years I haven't been able to get every weapon in the game. The game WILL ruin the experience for big handed andKid Icarus Uprising is a wonderfully created 3rd person shooter AND on rails shooter. The game constantly keeps you on your toes, and you will enjoy every second. The game features the ability to craft your own weapons with special attributes, it's a wonderful touch but after two years I haven't been able to get every weapon in the game. The game WILL ruin the experience for big handed and left handed gamers, but if you're a right handed and small handed person, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  67. Mar 27, 2016
    The controls are the only thing that makes this game less than a 10. Amazing multiplayer minus typical Nintendo lag, great story, hilarious characters, diverse weapons, the list goes on. Difficulty scaling is very good, 2.0 is just right for more casuals while 9.0 is hellish enough to keep hardcore guys happy. The monotony of the level structure (almost being a perfect copy/paste of airThe controls are the only thing that makes this game less than a 10. Amazing multiplayer minus typical Nintendo lag, great story, hilarious characters, diverse weapons, the list goes on. Difficulty scaling is very good, 2.0 is just right for more casuals while 9.0 is hellish enough to keep hardcore guys happy. The monotony of the level structure (almost being a perfect copy/paste of air battle then land battle) was drowned out by a Legend of Zelda-level soundtrack and Palutena's witty dialogue. In some games, out-of-time-period references like this cast makes would feel weird, but they keep it lighthearted and humorous enough to pull it off. It also has a ton of glorious one-liners, such as "Big monsters kill Pit grr!" and "When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade." Incredible plot twists. Well designed side-characters. And as much heat as the control scheme gets, its both adjustable and surprisingly natural once you put a little time into it. Overall, this is an utterly fantastic piece and I can't what *$%(#*, %^)*$&(#! and %^**)) have up their sleave for the sequel. (The number of characters are right, see if you can guess who I mean ;P no spoilers here!) Expand
  68. Apr 2, 2012
    This has the best multilayer i have ever experienced on a handheld system. The solo campaign is great too. Also, I did not find the controls as frustrating or hard to master as some reviewers did.
  69. Mar 23, 2012
    Great game, controls take some getting used to but work beautifully once mastered. The difficulty is adjustable from easy, clear up to impossible almost. Great artwork, clever story, and dialog. Truly another masterpiece title from Nintendo.
  70. Dec 18, 2012
    Uprising is my favorite 3DS game. Graphics are not console-level but they are above average for the 3DS- at least with 3D off. I found the 3D effect to be atrocious- if I turned it on, even briefly at a low level, the screen got all blurry and my eyes hurt for a good 5 seconds after turning the 3D off. Granted, I am not the biggest fan of 3D but I have enjoyed it in games like Super MarioUprising is my favorite 3DS game. Graphics are not console-level but they are above average for the 3DS- at least with 3D off. I found the 3D effect to be atrocious- if I turned it on, even briefly at a low level, the screen got all blurry and my eyes hurt for a good 5 seconds after turning the 3D off. Granted, I am not the biggest fan of 3D but I have enjoyed it in games like Super Mario 3D Land and OoT3D. Fortunately, game looks good without 3D. The story was amusing and didn't take itself seriously for the most part(there were some serious moments later in the game). The whole game was filled with unique characters and funny dialogue which made it a joy to play. Controls for ground segments were clunky and circle pad pro support allowing for the second circle pad to be used to aim would have helped a lot. However, I got used to the controls after the first few chapters and they were actually perfectly adequate after those first chapters. Gameplay is good. The game is quite difficult if you put it anywhere near 9.0 by betting hearts with the innovative difficulty system in which you bet hearts(currency) to increase difficulty and earn more hearts and better loot in the chapter, while losing many of these hearts if you die. This system is unique and is a great touch. Between multiplayer, replayable chapters, streetpass, collectible idols bought using play coins, weapon crafting, and an achievement system, Uprising is a polished title with a lot of replayability. Bad 3D and the difficult-to-learn controls keep Uprising from getting a perfect score, but it is a generally fantastic game. Expand
  71. Nov 17, 2012
    Kid Icarus: Uprising gives Nintendo a fresh entry of gameplay ! Playing and enjoying it while sometimes it is still hard to control Pit. In the online mode only hc kid icarus can withstand the really harshly controls !
  72. Jan 5, 2013
    The controls might be annoying at times, the level design isn't that special but this game is beautiful, charming and hilarious. The best 3DS game, and it comes with a ton of modes too!
  73. Jun 13, 2013
    I think this is a great game! The visuals are excellent, the story contains a decent amount of chapters, the characters are well rounded, and this game has good humor. It's very fun. Like most games, playing in 3D gives me and perhaps other players as well, headaches.. Despite that, the weapon system is very detailed and in-depth. Adapting to the controls can be difficult but you canI think this is a great game! The visuals are excellent, the story contains a decent amount of chapters, the characters are well rounded, and this game has good humor. It's very fun. Like most games, playing in 3D gives me and perhaps other players as well, headaches.. Despite that, the weapon system is very detailed and in-depth. Adapting to the controls can be difficult but you can adjust them in the settings. There is a lot of action which can be conveniently adjusted by choosing difficulty before playing each chapter. It's a great way to open the game up to beginners and newbies. Once you finish the story, there's not much of a point to replay it unless you want to improve for multiplayer, which I think is more of a weapon fest.. The music compliments the events just fine, though it could be better. Regardless, I totally recommend this to all gamers out there, whether you have a 3DS or not. Expand
  74. Nov 30, 2017
    Really great game. I'd even say it's the best 3ds game. Under the Kid Icarus skin, a whole new set of gameplay, story and interesting features are developed. That's how you bring an old, long-dead series back.
  75. Mar 26, 2012
    Love the constant control complaints. The controls are what people say, they in a way do mess up with the game, but it is also an amazing game if you can find an alternative. The people who continue to criticize this game for the controls dont attempt other methods that will make this game more comfortable, they just try it the old fashion way and then give up. What I did when playing thisLove the constant control complaints. The controls are what people say, they in a way do mess up with the game, but it is also an amazing game if you can find an alternative. The people who continue to criticize this game for the controls dont attempt other methods that will make this game more comfortable, they just try it the old fashion way and then give up. What I did when playing this game was wrap my right hands pinky on the back of the 3DS, since we wont use the buttons that much, place the finger next to the pinky there curled up, and use the remaining fingers for the stylus. This for me feels comfortable and I get to enjoy the game it is meant to be enjoyed. Also, to move left and right, all you have to do is move the circle pad and slide the stylus to the direction where you want to move and then move the stylus away from the screen. If you keep it touching the screen, you wont move where you want to move. This game is amazing, if you give up on the controls, well, you're missing out on a great game. Amazing level design, amazing music, many great unlockables, etc., Only reason I gave it a 9 is because of the annoying chit chat between Pit and the goddess. Expand
  76. Feb 6, 2013
    Kid Icarus Uprising was a much needed reboot for the Kid Icarus Franchise. The control scheme is nowhere near as bad as people say it is. The default controls are used mostly with the L Button and the Touch Screen. The controls can be changed to your liking, however. The story is a step up from the previous installments, but I won't spoil it. Let's just say the game lasts longer after yuKid Icarus Uprising was a much needed reboot for the Kid Icarus Franchise. The control scheme is nowhere near as bad as people say it is. The default controls are used mostly with the L Button and the Touch Screen. The controls can be changed to your liking, however. The story is a step up from the previous installments, but I won't spoil it. Let's just say the game lasts longer after yu face off against Medusa. The dialog between the characters is amusing and almost never gets old... almost. The music is great, however it is hard to hear considering the characters tend to talk throughout the entire game. Beating the game, however, will allow you to turn the talking off, so you can pay more attention to the music. The gameplay is amazing, albeit cheap at some points with certain enemies and bosses. Their is a grand total of 108 different weapons in this game, and too many enhancements that can go along with them its hard to count, but some examples are adding burning statuses to enemies, becoming more durable or giving you a longer range. Along with weapons are Powers. These are, in a nutshell, spells you can activate in this game. There is a 6x6 grid that you fit Powers in, and each Power has 4 different strength levels. This game all around is impressive and a great reintroduction to a long forgotten franchise. Any issue with this game is always backed up with something that makes you forget about said flaw. Welcome back Pit. Expand
  77. Aug 15, 2012
    First of all Pit is Back after 20 plus years of goin M.I.A and this game is amazing. The only problem that I got with it is the controls but People!!! U GOT OPTIONAL CONTROLS SO U DON'T HAVE TO USE THE STYLUS!!! The story mode is fun but I like the multiplayer mode the best!!! This game has tons of replay value and I play this game hours at a time. I like the power UPS u can get and alsoFirst of all Pit is Back after 20 plus years of goin M.I.A and this game is amazing. The only problem that I got with it is the controls but People!!! U GOT OPTIONAL CONTROLS SO U DON'T HAVE TO USE THE STYLUS!!! The story mode is fun but I like the multiplayer mode the best!!! This game has tons of replay value and I play this game hours at a time. I like the power UPS u can get and also fusing the weapons too. The graphics on this game are amazing and not ps2 like some Sony fan boys like to this diss on here!!! Gameplay is very good and if anybody has a 3ds then this game is a must have!!! Expand
  78. Apr 18, 2012
    Truly epic game. People complaining about the controls clearly have never played a FPS with a trackball before, because the controls are almost exactly like that. Really it takes only a short time to get used to, and you get far more control than a comparable title for example Metroid Hunters. The number of levels, number of difficulty levels, number of weapons and fusion combinations,Truly epic game. People complaining about the controls clearly have never played a FPS with a trackball before, because the controls are almost exactly like that. Really it takes only a short time to get used to, and you get far more control than a comparable title for example Metroid Hunters. The number of levels, number of difficulty levels, number of weapons and fusion combinations, number of power-ups, funny dialogue and huge number of secrets to find and unlock make this game far more than value for money. Expand
  79. Apr 11, 2012
    A great ne title for the nintendo 3ds, Kid icarus is a ton of fun to play solo, or in together mode. Solo mode has new enemies the entire way through, and exciting bosses to fight at the end of each of the 25 chapters. The game also includes 360 achievements to keep you busy, and a very complex weapon system which allows for endless combinations. I like that you can use the weapons thatA great ne title for the nintendo 3ds, Kid icarus is a ton of fun to play solo, or in together mode. Solo mode has new enemies the entire way through, and exciting bosses to fight at the end of each of the 25 chapters. The game also includes 360 achievements to keep you busy, and a very complex weapon system which allows for endless combinations. I like that you can use the weapons that you earn/ fuse in single player mode can be used online. I also love the difficulty system which rewards players with better weapons, powers, and more hearts for playing on harder difficulties (1-9). The soundtrack is simply amazing, original music all the way through the game. Props to nintendo for another instant classic!!! Expand
  80. Mar 30, 2012
    10/10 pour contrer les notes style 0/10 qui on juste pour but , de démonter la moyenne du jeu , sinon j'aurais mis un gros bon 9/10 ! Il est vraiment excellent , très complet , un très bon scénario , un humour décapant , le gameplay posera des soucis a certains a d'autres non , moi j'ai trouvé sa parfait !10/10 pour contrer les notes style 0/10 qui on juste pour but , de démonter la moyenne du jeu , sinon j'aurais mis un gros bon 9/10 ! Il est vraiment excellent , très complet , un très bon scénario , un humour décapant , le gameplay posera des soucis a certains a d'autres non , moi j'ai trouvé sa parfait ! Clairement le meilleur jeu de la 3DS a ce jour ! Bravo Expand
  81. Mar 24, 2012
    One of the most entertaining games I have ever played.
    The dialog is part Starfox 64 part Adventure Time and rivals Portal 2 (surpasses it IMO) in terms of silliness. The OST is easily the best Nintendo has ever made (Xenoblade and Brawl are the only ones that come close).
    The flying sections are fun and while I wish there were more, the ones that are there are great. The land sections
    One of the most entertaining games I have ever played.
    The land sections are tons of fun once you get used to the controls. Same with the multiplayer, its tons of fun.
    This visuals are great and the 3D effects make them even better.
    A must buy if you own a 3DS.
  82. Mar 24, 2012
    Starting off with the glaring issue everyone's talking about - The controls. The default control scheme consisting of the circle pad, touch screen and L button works perfectly. The accuracy and level of control that comes with it makes gameplay incredibly fun. I have had little issue with this set up, and resting the console on your right leg can help support it. You've always got theStarting off with the glaring issue everyone's talking about - The controls. The default control scheme consisting of the circle pad, touch screen and L button works perfectly. The accuracy and level of control that comes with it makes gameplay incredibly fun. I have had little issue with this set up, and resting the console on your right leg can help support it. You've always got the stand that comes with every copy of the game to support the 3DS on a desk. You can use the circle pad, ABXY or the circle pad pro to move pit. You can then select either the Circle pad (if you aren't already using this to move), ABXY or the touch screen to aim and move the camera. Gameplay - 10 Sakurai have gone all out on this game. There are several modes. The story mode which consists of chapters that start off with a flying "starfox-esque" shoot out travel to your destination, the land part of the level involves you fighting your way through wave after wave or room to room until you get to your destination. Then comes the boss fight at the end of a level forcing you to adapt to the situation and find the enemy's achilles' heel. The multiplayer is mentioned further down. Augmented reality is available in this game. You get 6 AR cards with your copy of the game, plus booster packs are/will be available. You can have these battle in a One-on-one scenario by facing one card towards another.

Audio - The soundtrack is deep and nostalgia-filled. It features many throwbacks to the original two Kid Icarus games including some nice 8-bit sound effects. There are some remastered renderings of the old soundtracks and some new ones, all fully orchestrated.
    The dialogue is bit of a marmite situation. I personally love the banter that goes on between Pit and Palutena is engaging, humourous and witty. This is where the nostalgia really comes flooding back, as many of the conversations feature "Remember _enemy name_ from the old games"? (Yes, the characters break the fourth wall and refer to the old games quite a lot.) Some may find the dialogue too cheesy however.

Graphics 10 - The deep, rich and impressive environments in this game are some of the best on the console. There really is never a dull moment, and the visuals are partly the reason. Some of the levels will have you just staring at the backdrop as you fly over cities, ravines, fields, sea, the cosmos and practically anywhere you can imagine. Don't take too long to stare though, or the enemies will end you quickly.

Enemies and difficulty 10 - There are a huge amount of different enemies in the single player game. Some native to a single level, some are common in virtually every level. Similarly to bosses, certain enemies require a certain kind of punishment before they die. Melee to deflect back projectiles is a common curveball.
    The difficulty in this game, unlike the NES classic, progresses from "easy" to "not so easy". There is a Difficulty-o-meter which allows you to select how difficult you think you can handle the upcoming level. Sliding all the way to the right will set the enemies on kill-on sight mode and Pit will only survive a handful of hits before dying. You can slide all the way to the left and Pit will be invincible, allowing the player to gape at all the backdrops in the game. There is a betting system meaning you wager hearts. Setting the difficulty higher wagers more hearts, but the rewards if you succeed will be greater. If you die in the level, you lose any wagered hearts. The game will automatically set the difficulty to what it thinks you can handle, based on the last level you played.

Together mode (Multiplayer) - There are several multiplayer game modes available to you in Kid Icarus Uprising. First of all you have your Local battles: Light Vs. Dark or Free for all with anyone else with the game around you or just your friends. The game automatically fills any empty spots with CPU characters, which are customisable in level of difficulty just like in Super Smash Bros. You can even play alone with up to 5 other CPU characters. Then you have your online multiplayer. The same deal as local, but with anyone else in the worlds. You can play with your friends on your roster if you have added them and them you, or just anyone in the world. In Light vs. Dark, players battle it out to gain the upper hand over the opposing team. After your team's life gauge has been depleted, their hero will appear, Pit or Dark Pit, who must then be defeated for a win. FFA is every angel for themselves to get the most kills and become the victor. You get hearts after each battle, and sometimes you may be awarded an item or weapon. There is an enormous roster of weapons and powers available to your character. Weapons can be bought, won, fused or exchanged via streetpass.

In short, this game has easily become my favourite 3DS title with twice as much content as any other I've experienced. This has all the depth, length and scope of a title you could ask for.
  83. Apr 6, 2013
    Boy, where do I start with this one. By far my favorite 3DS title. The controls, although being slightly painful for extended periods of time, are extremely fluid, the many different weapons which I'm still unlocking, the huge amount of trophies and other extras, and a fully built multiplayer that is extremely addicting. And that's just the start. The story is decently long, and prettyBoy, where do I start with this one. By far my favorite 3DS title. The controls, although being slightly painful for extended periods of time, are extremely fluid, the many different weapons which I'm still unlocking, the huge amount of trophies and other extras, and a fully built multiplayer that is extremely addicting. And that's just the start. The story is decently long, and pretty good, with interesting characters that are all beautifully voice acted. Pit can strike some as annoying but i found him to be charming and funny. Items with awesome effects appear at opportune moments, and building the powers you take with is almost a puzzle in and of itself. Long story short, i could list the pros of this game for hours, and the controls are the only con i can find. Unless you count the extremely frustrating difficulty system. Very. Very. Frustrating. But if you can handle a little wrist pain, this is a truly amazing game. Expand
  84. Sep 1, 2013
    Best shooter game ever! Gameplay is great,story line is great and so is everything else. The controls are pretty basic,too. Some of the chapters are really difficult though,like chapters 9,22 and 25. 10/10.
  85. Mar 25, 2012
    Not to waste your time, I will sum this game up into one word: EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! The gameplay is smooth and I was able to "get use to them right away" This game will last you a long time and continue to have faith in nintendo.
  86. Jul 13, 2012
    For me, this game was amazing. The Treasure hunt has really expanded my love of the game, because I have worked so hard on it. Some of the things are super hard, which just challenges me, giving me one more thing I have to do. I still have not finished the story, even though I have played it for almost 40 hours! The multi-player is just amazing, especially since I can train against bots,For me, this game was amazing. The Treasure hunt has really expanded my love of the game, because I have worked so hard on it. Some of the things are super hard, which just challenges me, giving me one more thing I have to do. I still have not finished the story, even though I have played it for almost 40 hours! The multi-player is just amazing, especially since I can train against bots, then attack real people. The way that Nintendo balanced the team multi-player is Ingenious! I hate playing online and getting beat because other people have better equipment than me, but that does not matter in this game. Also, you have to limit your powers to a small box, which has been fun, finding the perfect combination for both Single and Multi-Player modes. The controls to move and shoot are smooth for me, but the touch screen can be somewhat sluggish at times, Nintendo added an option to speed up how fast the camera moves when you flick the stylus. I think that Nintendo really gave Pit a good 25th anniversiary game. I love it, and play it all day long, sometimes. I really don't get many streetpass tags, because I have no friends with a 3DS, so I really haven't been able to fully experience that feature, but it adds to the experience. The weapon fusing is so perfect, because I hate playing a game and getting a weapon that I know that I will NEVER use, but with fusion, I can change it to a different weapon, usually better than both and a weapon that I will use. This game is one of my favorites and has been the only game in my slot for a while. Expand
  87. Nov 15, 2014
    gr8 game m8, I r8 8/8
    This game is awsome!

Yeah, that's all the review.

Where you expecting more detail? Welp, that's too bad, this game can only be descrived as glorious.

Go buy it.

Now.
  88. Mar 31, 2012
    This game is absolutely fantastic. Yes, the controls on ground are a bit difficult, but, unlike a lot of critics claim, they aren't uncontrollable. And, once you get a hold of them, it's a hell of fun. The story is fantastic, gameplay never slows down, 3D or not, 3D is magnificent, and graphics are even better than anything seen on the Wii.
  89. Apr 1, 2012
    25 years... 25 years since Pit originally debuted on the NES. Why such a long wait? Dunno. Don't care. The new installment from Nintendo is a very impressive one! The presentation, dialogue/banter between characters, and music are all phenomenal. I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for games with a magnificent soundtrack, and man, let me tell you, this one delivers. Believe that. The 3D is best25 years... 25 years since Pit originally debuted on the NES. Why such a long wait? Dunno. Don't care. The new installment from Nintendo is a very impressive one! The presentation, dialogue/banter between characters, and music are all phenomenal. I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for games with a magnificent soundtrack, and man, let me tell you, this one delivers. Believe that. The 3D is best utilized during the flight portions of each level (after that, it just kind of gets in the way of having to use the clunky ground-controls). The graphics are just outstanding. But this game isn't all good news (and I'm sure you know exactly what I'm going to talk about before you finish reading this sentence): the controls are just... just... I don't know how to explain it. If you use that dorky little stand that's packaged with the game, it isn't TOO bad... but if you want to play this game ANYWHERE else, your hand is going to hurt. You probably aren't even going to be able to play the game except for short bursts due to the carpel-tunnel-inducing control scheme. Additional problem: if you're left-handed, configuring the controls to accommodate the lefties is rather lacking; I know that you can use the "ABXY" pad and R-trigger (or if you bought the franken-stick, you can use that, but I don't see the point in buying it just yet), but this is just a hassle and doesn't feel as fluid as using the joystick.

Overall, this game is breath of fresh air in a world that seems to be okay with rehashing stale ideas (Nintendo is particularly bad about this; Super Mario Tennis Golf Galaxyland 32 coming soon!). This is one of the first (of hopefully many) 3DS titles you should buy when you get the system! Eeeeeasily.
  90. Mar 24, 2012
    There is plenty do do in the all new adventure starring Pit. The adventure takes you at least a good 10 to 15 hours to complete with plenty of incentives to come back. There is a feature called an intensity setting which changes the difficulty of the level. You can acquire better items with the intensity higher up but you have to bet your hearts, which is currency. This made me want toThere is plenty do do in the all new adventure starring Pit. The adventure takes you at least a good 10 to 15 hours to complete with plenty of incentives to come back. There is a feature called an intensity setting which changes the difficulty of the level. You can acquire better items with the intensity higher up but you have to bet your hearts, which is currency. This made me want to revisit levels since playing on higher difficulty levels can offer you better weapons. Weapons are a great feature with endless options to choose from. You can acquire weapons on the solo campaign, multiplayer, and by fusing two different weapons together. The multiplayer options include a free for all and a light vs dark. Free for all is obvious but light vs dark is a little more complex. In light vs dark, there are two teams of three on each team. When a team member dies, a team health bar falls down. The developers created a great balance with this feature. The better a weapon is the more health on the team health bar falls. This creates a great balance. This game has plenty to do and is definitely another home run for Masahiro Sakurai. Expand
  91. Apr 29, 2012
    best handheld game i have ever played, i play lvd with my friends all the time the campaign was very good and pretty long. ive heard alot of people talking garbage about the controls and really i think they are great you really have to aim and the dodging in super fun i really cant say a game is better then this one thats out right now
  92. Sep 23, 2012
    Oh the fun I had with this!A very notable game in the 3DS' library.Kid Icarus Uprising was a long time coming,to say the least.The story is complex but understandable and strewn together well.The gameplay is a nice reboot from the 8-bit classic.The sound is fantastic.Wonderful music and hilarious dialogue between characters.I love it.The level design is creative but at times feelsOh the fun I had with this!A very notable game in the 3DS' library.Kid Icarus Uprising was a long time coming,to say the least.The story is complex but understandable and strewn together well.The gameplay is a nice reboot from the 8-bit classic.The sound is fantastic.Wonderful music and hilarious dialogue between characters.I love it.The level design is creative but at times feels unnecessary,as the game kind of plays itself sometimes.Visuals are very good.Beautiful areas with tons of atmosphere.The controls weren't too great.The on-foot sections we awkward.It sometimes made an extraordinarily exciting game feel boring sometimes.Despite that,Kid Icarus is awesome!An 8/10 a great satisfying experience. Expand
  93. Apr 10, 2013
    not for people who cant handle stylus controls

this game has a very good story, Great multi--player (when there's no afk problem) and wonderful game feel, i play lots of games that use Stylus controls, if you hate on stylus games then your not going to enjoy this game, the stylus controls are Very accurate, you are able to configure the controls however you like on the options and
    not for people who cant handle stylus controls

i play lots of games that use Stylus controls, if you hate on stylus games then your not going to enjoy this game, the stylus controls are Very accurate, you are able to configure the controls however you like on the options and the sensitivity of the touch screen, the game plays like challenging a fast paced 3rd person shooter
  94. Apr 16, 2014
    This is a really good game. Lots of people have complained about the controls, but I think that they work well, and that if you're not an idiot, you'll do fine. The story was good, and it had a great plot twist I didn't see coming. One of my favorites on the 3ds so far.
  95. Jan 23, 2015
    This game is without a doubt the best portable game I've ever played. The graphics, music, level design, gameplay, story, voice acting, multiplayer, and characters are all flawless. The only major problem I can think of are the controls (which stop being a problem when you get used to them). Any other flaws I can think of are just nit-picks. If you've got a 3DS, get this game!
  96. muu
    Mar 27, 2012
    The controls bashing has been a stellar example of why I no longer trust game 'journalists.' If, playing through the game, you can't see the fact that this game is too fast for dual analog controls (unless they just blasted through at 2.0 intensity to fill their review quota, which would be equally horrid), you don't deserve to be writing for a games magazine. Maybe a corner in TIME orThe controls bashing has been a stellar example of why I no longer trust game 'journalists.' If, playing through the game, you can't see the fact that this game is too fast for dual analog controls (unless they just blasted through at 2.0 intensity to fill their review quota, which would be equally horrid), you don't deserve to be writing for a games magazine. Maybe a corner in TIME or something major like that, but not if you proclaim yourself as any sort of gamer. It's sad that these guys always go on a roll about games needing INNOVATION, and when it comes knocking on their door they take every measure possible to make sure it scores 20% lower than the next Call of Duty or GTA release.

Having said that: controls took me a bit of time to get used to, but that was that. Not much more jarring than the first time I had to use dual analogs in place of a KB+M. Waiting for me was a game with incredible SP, excellent dialogue (what I thought would be Saturday Morning Cartoon-quality turned out more like the better battle sequences in a Disney flick), and a balanced MP that offers limitless playability with the huge number of weapons available.

New experiences in life often require learning new things (think back to when you first drove a car, rode a bike, operated a power plant, etc). Sakurai refused to conform the game to existing controls, and playing the game it should make it obvious that the reward is more than worth the small learning curve.
  97. Mar 25, 2012
    A fantastic game with plenty of longevity. If you enjoy fast-paced and challenging multiplayer modes and single player campaigns with decent length, a healthy dose of challenge, and a few laughs, then this is the game for you.
  98. Mar 24, 2012
    At first was really worried about controls...hand cramped after first level and they were just really difficult. However, after 1-2 hours of playing everything felt fine. I am currently using the stand which I thought would be useless, but is actually awesome and very useful. So seriously controls are not a problem if you can just put an hour or two of gameplay into it. The main reason IAt first was really worried about controls...hand cramped after first level and they were just really difficult. However, after 1-2 hours of playing everything felt fine. I am currently using the stand which I thought would be useless, but is actually awesome and very useful. So seriously controls are not a problem if you can just put an hour or two of gameplay into it. The main reason I bought it was for the PvP/Online - and its freaking awesome. Best game on 3DS so far - 10/10. Expand
  99. Nov 8, 2012
    I'll begin with a simple fact: It's the best game I have ever played. And I played a lot of Mario, some Call of Duty, Borderlands 2 (This one is awesome too), The Legend of Zelda, etc. What I'm trying to say is that you should at least give this awesome game a try. It has lots of content (From weapons to powers, from stages to characters), a lot of charisma, and it's unique. I never playedI'll begin with a simple fact: It's the best game I have ever played. And I played a lot of Mario, some Call of Duty, Borderlands 2 (This one is awesome too), The Legend of Zelda, etc. What I'm trying to say is that you should at least give this awesome game a try. It has lots of content (From weapons to powers, from stages to characters), a lot of charisma, and it's unique. I never played a game like this one: If you want, you can only melee. But, if you want, you can only shoot. Or you can do both. ... And use a "Super laser" too.
    Accept the "Sorry to keep you waiting"!
  100. Mar 26, 2012
    This game has some of the finest gameplay out there. Well constructed, decently sized story with loads of content and challenges, and awkward controls that you quickly get used to; not to mention the multiplayer, which in itself feels like it should be its own game because of how purely fun and fast paced matches can be. Overall this game is a must buy for any 3DS owner, and if there wasThis game has some of the finest gameplay out there. Well constructed, decently sized story with loads of content and challenges, and awkward controls that you quickly get used to; not to mention the multiplayer, which in itself feels like it should be its own game because of how purely fun and fast paced matches can be. Overall this game is a must buy for any 3DS owner, and if there was a 9.5 button i would rate it that, but it doesn't deserve a ten because I'm still deciding whether it's worth the 10 or not. I'll update it as soon as my verdict arrives. BTW, I have about 12 hours in the game so far and I'm completely glued. Expand

1. Jun 27, 2012
    No doubt in my mind, 3DS owners should have Kid Icarus: Uprising in their library of games, especially if action games are a favorite.
  2. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Nintendo magic strikes again, if you can adapt to the controls. [June 2012, p.68]
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2012
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is an underdog tale: how an action game can be thoroughly enjoyable even when it suffers from some severe control problems. [May 2012]