8.0

1. Aug 1, 2012
    Have you been waiting for a good action RPG for the 3ds? if so this "may" be your game. The graphics are what you would expect from square nice and clean with fantastic cut scenes. Voice acting is for the most part solid but there are times where it can be hit or miss. The combat system is very responsive and mostly did what i wanted it to do sometimes i would attack nothing and get frustrated. The biggest flaw I would say would be the camera. I played without the Circle pad pro i don't know if this improves the camera at all i would say probably so. In summary it is not without its flaws but it is for sure a game you need to own if you are KH fan or if you did a little research on the story thus far you would be fine allbeit just as confused as KH vets because the story will become confusing. And a one last note about the "drop" system was annoying at first but you could always drop back to the Sora or Riku if it were something crucial you needed to do. In the end not perfect but 3ds owners should not overlook this game. Expand
  2. Jul 31, 2012
    This is the best 3DS game and the only reason i bought one. buy this game and stop complaining that its not KH3, cause it will come in the future and this is a great entry in my favorite series of all time!!
  3. Jul 31, 2012
    I finished this game on yesterday and it was amazing game must play
  4. Jul 31, 2012
    This game feels like the perfect Kingdom Hearts game. It mixes part of the Birth by Sleep gameplay (namely, the command deck) with the new flowmotion, which feels amazing to play. The story, without spoiling anything, is perfect if you understand what's going on. I can only see this getting marked down if this is your first or second Kingdom Hearts game, but to long-term fans it feels next to perfect. Expand
  5. Jul 31, 2012
    This game is without a doubt, the best game on the 3DS at this present time. The gameplay is smooth and easy to learn, yet difficult to master. The story, whilst confusing at first, is easy to understand after reading or watching the unlockable mementos, like summaries of the previous games in the series. The music in this game is breathtaking, including special versions of the music featured in Disney's Fantasia. From the moment i picked the game up and started playing, til the moment when i finished the games story, i was immensely satisfied.
    The game also looks incredibly beautiful, especially in 3D. The worlds are all perfectly detailed and look almost perfectly similar to the Disney movies they are based on (albeit for a few new areas in order to smoothly transition from one area of a Disney Movie to the next.)
    The voice acting in this game is also really well cast, with Haley Joel Osment and David Gallagher reprising their roles as the series main protagonists, Sora and Riku.
    The best acting however was by Leonard Nimoy, who reprises his role as the main antagonist of the series, Xehanort. The way Nimoy say's the lines makes the villain sound more threatening and villainous and altogether more enjoyable.
    The new gameplay elements added to this game, like Flowmotion and the Pokemon-esque Dream Eaters are great additions to the already superb combat system.
    All in all, i give Kingdom Hearts 3D a 10/10 for superb gameplay, a interesting story, brilliant music and some of the best visuals ever to grace a handheld console.
  6. Aug 1, 2012
    Super awesome game! A MUST for Kingdom Hearts fans! The story, the music, the gameplay, the graphics, everything is just awesome! If you don't have a 3DS, buy it! This game alone will be worth it! That's what I think at least.
  7. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though the story is probobly one of the most dificult to follow in all of video game history, its a solid game that runs smoothly. I have also read that this is the last game for portables and the next one will be KH3, not to spoil but there is a little "confirmermation" in the gamer Expand
  8. Jul 31, 2012
    still playing through the game but I am loving it! the only thing i really don't like it the dream eater system it's a cool idea but it has be going though things i really could care less for
  9. Aug 1, 2012
    The combat system alone is the best in the series. The music is an definite improvement and the story is great too. Although the switch between sora and riku can be a little annoying at time it keeps the game from getting boring. The dream eaters are a lot of fun at time but it can feel kind of out of place being like a nintendogs sort of thing in a kingdom hearts game, although square enix has done stranger. It is a must have for any 3ds user or kingdom hearts fan. There is a lot to do in it and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. All around it's a great game. Expand
  10. Jul 31, 2012
    I know a game is good when I can't put it down, then when it's completed I just what more. That's exactly how it unfolded with KH:DDD. Gameplay: 8.5 - This game has improved on so much in my opinion from previous KH games and the addition of flowmotion while hit and miss is certainly an interesting addition and one which I personally enjoyed, if you liked previous titles in the KH series particularly BBS you'll like what you get here! Also worth a mention is the new 'dreameater' monster collection to round off your team which is again hit and miss and sadly whilst it was enjoyable at many points still didn't leave me saying 'please include this in KHIII'. Graphics:8 - Whilst it may not jump leaps and bounds over BBS in every graphical aspect it fares well on Nintendo's handheld as one of the better looking releases which can be said of almost every KH release as the artstyle can adapt to many platforms. Also worth mentioning is the 3d effect as being not too overpowering but nice to have. Lasting Appeal: 9.5- There is a lot to get here if you really dig deep including playing through a new mini-game called 'flick rush' which is a mini-game that is very similar to Pokemon in approach. Story: 8 - Yeah, the KH story is extremely convoluted and a lot will probably go over your head there's no denying it's told well enough (Minus some cringe moments at bits of the script) the world of Disney and Square Enix does well here and the All-Star voice cast really holds together making you engaged enough in the story.
    In summary, this is an altogether great experience and in the ways of m new rating system as of now I dare say: MUST BUY! (Especially for KH fans and Action- RPG fans!)
  11. Jul 31, 2012
    First of all, this was a very good game! The game play was very good and it probably had some of the best graphics and sound on a 3DS game. This IS the best game I have on my 3DS. I highly recommend that you get it.
  12. Aug 1, 2012
    I'm still about to play this game, but it is so amazing just to witness it. The graphics are amazingly great, and the story can make you stay on your seat for a long time. Colorful characters are just a piece of this astonishing game. Get it, or you'll regret later.
  13. Sep 5, 2012
    Kh:3d is another spin off in the Kingdom Hearts franchise, this time for the nintendo 3ds. Why square enix keeps changing consoles is beyond me, if you want to play every game you need to buy at least one home console and three handled, 4 consoles in the course of 10 years, with only TWO main entry. This particular game has been marketed as a kingdom hearts 3 in all but the name with an emphasis on completely new disney worlds and completely new enemies. Main problem is that this game feels unnecessary, seriosly, I thought that the plot started only in the very last world, the 7 worlds before that felt like a padding where nothing happens. In other installments I thought that the disney world were somehow linked to the main plot, or helped develop character arcs. Here instead it goes like this:"hi I am a stranger, now we're instantly friends! I believe in you! The power of friendship will save the day!". This is overused to the point of not being taken seriously at all. When the plot really starts (again in the very last world) we're bombarded with details that you won't be able to track all at once, you'll go to wikipedia to try to understand what happened. If you pretend that this game has no plot (and it won't be hard to do it), you will be amazed by how well designed are the environments, I personally hate linearity so complicated levels=win. Battle system sees the addition of two elements:flow motion and dream eaters. The former is a way to move faster from point A to B, using contestual commands to inflict damage, the latter is a pokemon-like way of having companions, replacing Donald and Goofy. Managing and developing the dream eater is a game within a game and usually it will require making interactions using the touch screen. Each monster has its own abilities, and can grant the player new upgrades, boosts or skills. Did I say THE player? I should have said the the TWO players: in this game you control both Sora and Riku, not at the same time but skipping from one to the other.
    How the "skip" works can and most of the time will be frustrating, each session with Sora or Riku has a timer, once it reaches zero you suddendly fall asleep and pass the control to the other character. It can be annoying if it happens during the looooong boss fights. Speaking of boss fights, some how enix forgot they were developing for an handeld, so sometimes it will be frustrating die battling the third form of a boss, then starting from the beginning of the battle. The very last part of the game, it has lots of cutscenes, a multi part boss fight, but no "save function" in between, and no "restart when you died" feature, so you would restart from scratch, swearing a lot during the process. In the end should I reccomend this game? Of course I will, you bought it the minute it hit shelves and got a 3ds just to play it. Does it feel necessary? Yes. Does it feel like a good game? Yes, the dream eater managing is so deep and complex that you will find the need to catch'em all ( no pun intended). forget about the story, it stopped making sense halfway through kingdom hearts 2 so play it for the gameplay alone :)
  14. Sep 23, 2012
    I must admit that after four hours of playing this game, I can safely say that it is not for newbies to the Kingdom Heart universe. The story is very confusing, the controls are tight but they are extreme, what I mean is that there are many, many, many, commands to memorize in order to effectively play the game and honestly, its just too much. I just simply lost interest. The dream drop (which basically swaps the characters in a level to complete certain tasks) feels awkward and forced. Its just not a good game. The graphics and music are top-notch but thats all I can say positive about Kingdom Hearts 3D. I strongly suggest renting or borrowing from someone before purchasing this title. Expand
  15. Aug 6, 2012
    Kingdom Hearts 3d: Dream Drop Distance is one of the most beautiful games I've seen on a handheld, but is by no means perfect. Though I enjoyed this game, there are some flaws that hinder the enjoyment.

Firstly, as a kingdom hearts fan, I wish they would stop making these games handheld, as they are not games to play for 5-15 minuets, thanks to save points sometimes being some
    distance apart, and frequent, sometimes lengthy cinamatics. A game like this would be more comfortable played on the tv over in your hand.

Flow motion, this games biggest change to gameplay, can be a fun, if a bit overpowered addition to gameplay, that makes the normal kingdom hearts fighting nearly irrelevant. why bother with normal attacks and magic combos, when you can just run over to a wall and spam flomotion attacks until everyone's dead.

Thirdly, the game is set between two alternate worlds, one where you play as Sora, and the other as Riku. This would be a cool idea, were it not for the drop in/drop out mechanic, where after 20 minuets or so it forces you to play in the other character's world. This will happen regardless of your situation, whether you are fighting monsters, managing inventory, fighting a boss, etc.

Finally, as interesting as the story will be to kingdom hearts fans who have managed to follow along through the past six games, to anyone new to the Kingdom Hearts series, it may come off as a convoluted mess.

Despite these complaints however, this is in no way a completely terrible game. The art style is unique and strange, the combat is fast-pased and enjoyable, and the voice acting is superb, and this is easily the best looking handheld game I've seen so far.
  16. Aug 4, 2012
    Best 3DS game to date...
    Storyline a little bit predicted but doesn't fall behind the KH PS games.
    A must for KH fans who havn't played the DS / PSP games.
  17. Sep 18, 2012
    This is fa from being the best game in the serie but is great nonetheless. It has the same characters that we learned to love, an beautiful soundtrack and incredible 3D effect. Despite this I can't help complain that it is about time of kingdom hearts 3.
  18. Nov 5, 2012
    This entry to the Kingdom Hearts series introduces th new features - the Drop system and the Spirit raising. The drop system is flawed. Basically Sora and Riku each have a time limit. When the time ends, you are forced to switch. There are items that prolong the time you have, but it gets pretty frustrating when you're in the middle of a boss battle and are forced to switch. Spirit raising is a nice little side quest that added a few more hours to my time spent on this game and had more depth then I initially thought. The creatures are varied and it works a little like Pokémon crossed with Nintendogs. Depending on how your spirits are raised, they can use different attacks to aid you in battle. There's also a mini game where three of your spirits battle with three other spirits using a system where you flick out cards to give them orders.

In terms of the story and the main game-play, this game is definitely not for newcomers to the series. I had previously only played Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and the storyline really confused me at first. However, there's an explanation of the story for each other game in the series that you can unlock. Another thing is that I felt that the game at the start did a bad job of explaining the command system, and I think it should have broken it down a bit. Controls though are pretty solid. Presentation, graphics and sound is outstanding as usual for Square. A good choice for Disney franchises represented in each world (except for Tron Legacy).

To sum it up, if you are a fan of the series, you'll love this. However newbies should play other games in the series first, and the drop system really needs work.
  19. Fix
    Feb 18, 2013
    For a portable game, there is quite a large gap between save points. It's not really a game you can play for just a couple minutes; you have to wait until you find the next save point. And if you want to watch the cinematics, you could be waiting 20-30 minutes. In my opinion, portable games should always let the user save at any time they want. I understand the 3DS has a standby option, but I would rather not have to worry about the next time I'll be able to charge my system, specifically because I'll lose my saved game when I don't. The controls are very complex for a portable game. So much that they suggest buying the right thumb-stick attachment. Again, complex controls do not belong in a game like this. For many of us, this system only gets played for short periods at a time. It's hard to remember the key combinations unless you take the time to learn. I wonder what the target audience is for this. It seems to be for people that play for long periods of time and those who use the 3DS as their main source of video gaming. Expand
  20. Sep 2, 2012
    Buying this was my fault. I simply forgot how much I hate the gameplay of Kingdom Hearts. I actually bought the strategy guide for kh 2 and was determined to get deep into the game, only to regret it forever 10 hours later. The ambiguous nature of the game play and goels and literally constant enemies make this game a total waste of $40. And the 'drop' system will go down as one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen in a videogame. The music, however, is amazing. I like it's dedication to old style rpg music. I'll never buy another kingdom hearts. Collapse
  21. Aug 4, 2012
    This is easily one of the best 3DS games to hit the market, and one of my favorite handheld titles of all time. It's got everything that you want in a Kingdom Hearts title - an engaging story (if somewhat convoluted, but veterans of the series should have no trouble following it), thrilling combat, and plenty of collectibles. The addition of Flowmotion, Reality Shifts, Spirit companions, and the return of the Command system from Birth by Sleep result in some of the series' best combat to date. While it's not quite as deep as the system in Birth by Sleep, it's still one of the better combat systems you'll find in an action RPG title. It looks great, it plays great, it will make you happy and sad - it's an experience I'm thrilled to have had, and one you should have as well.

The one caveat I have is that at times, the game can be frustrating due to some control quirks, particular related to Flowmotion's direction and the camera motion. Nevertheless, they are minor flaws on an otherwise stellar package.
  22. Aug 25, 2012
    Kingdom Hearts 3D signify what is wrong (and right) with Square these days. Great production values but wonky, out dated game mechanics. The drop mechanics is probably one of the most 'annoying innovation', which happens in the middle of boss fights for crying out loud. Sure, you can buy some potions for it, but crap, it's still annoying. Or how about the fact that there is a lot of grinding involved, which feels more like padding than anything else. In higher difficulties, the amount of grinding is doubled to get the levels that you need, so much so that I restarted the game to an easier setting just to get off the amount of grinding involved. For a more action based title, KH also feels too loose. The whole fights still jitter all over the place during a fight, just like in KH 1, albeit a bit better. The combat is too simplistic, with a lot of repetitive button mashing. Healing mid fight is still also a pain, and can cause a lot of unnecessary deaths. I know I have a lot of nit pick but that's because Square really needs to upgrade their game mechanics. They spend too much time on its presentation which is becoming more stellar: great use of 3D, orchestra soundtrack and great voice acting. But again, its game mechanics really needs an update. Square can do it, I know for sure, with 'The World Ends with You', one of the best JRPG in the last 5 years or so, but somehow they seems too overwhelmed by this generation of technology. (EHm..cough..Versus XIII...cough) Western RPG developers are leaving them behind: BIOWARE and Bethesda, for example. SQUARE games are nice too look at, but frustrating to play. I hope they can return to an innovative, ground breaking developer they used to be :( Expand
  23. Aug 21, 2012
    This was a disappointing entry into one of my favorite gaming series right now. Frankly, the series desperately needs to get back onto consoles as these handheld filler games have done nothing but detract from what the original KH and KH 2 did way back in the day. While Birth by Sleep was a good game, this game really let me down in both the story and the mechanics of the game. First of all, the Drop system that was implemented here was a huge annoyance. This game probably would have been twice as good as it was, for me, without that one little part of the game. Being forced to switch characters mid-boss fight is beyond stupid and there are other ways you can go about wanting players to play as both Sora and Riku equally than to force them to switch when they don't want too. Lastly, the story has not aged very well. In today's age with games like Bastion where the story really carried the game, this story has lost alot of it's luster. The constant jabbering about Darkness and Light and Friendship makes this seem like a cutesy anime aimed at 10 year olds. It's not longer one of the better stories out there and the fact that they won't release KH 3, which should end the series, really hurts because your just teasing the real fans of the series with crap like this. I'm extremely disappointed with this game because this was one of the 3 games I originally bought my 3DS for and it hurt when I realized it was beyond boring. While some of the classic KH gameplay is still there, real fans of the series will be bothered by how utterly lackluster this game is and the fact that they keep forcing these filler games down our throats to appease us every 2-3 years is insulting. I for one will not play another KH filler game. The next KH game I'll play will be KH 3 because that will be the last hope for the series for me. Expand
  24. Aug 10, 2012
    Whether or not you're a fan of Kingdom Hearts - if you own a 3DS you owe it to yourself to play this game. It's arguably the best game on the 3DS and certainly the most fun I've had with a 3DS game.
  25. Aug 2, 2012
    Dream Drop Distance combines many old features from its predecessors with another complicated yet intriguing story. Those who are already familiar with the series will anxiously wait for the next installment, while others will definitely want to take a peek into the previous games before advancing to the next level. Essentially, it draws fans and newcomers alike.
  26. Aug 5, 2012
    This game was great. But Tron Legacy world looks fantastic. Graphics is just great just like Kingdom Hearts II. Its a must have 3DS game i just own!
  27. Aug 14, 2012
    Awesome game and lots of fun. A must buy for any Kingdom hearts fan.
  28. Mar 11, 2013
    Chrillbill
    Aug 1, 2012
  29. May 29, 2013
    Great game every fan of the kingdom hearths games should have. i brings new answers to the story and tho making it more complicated it brings new life to it, the combat changes little but is still good, and the music is still awesome.
  30. Aug 30, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is a good game with a sound idea but flawed on its execution. They had some great ideas going on here, but ultimately didn't work out very well. The whole switching between characters by giving you a time limit was great in the sense it forces you to live both Sora's and Riku's stories but can become a huge hassle especially during boss battles! The story is probably the best aspect of the game, it can be confusing at times if you're like me and think too much into it but it's enjoyable if you've played previous KH games. Plus, it's great to be back in Sora's shoes. Dream Drop Distance sets up the game series for Kingdom Hearts 3, and I can't wait to play a real Kingdom Hearts game. An overall fun game with flawed gameplay, but an intriguing story to set you up for Kingdom Hearts 3. Expand
  31. Nov 20, 2012
    An amazing RPG and way better than Re:Coded, however it's not in the tier of a KHII, so it can be a little disappointing and the changing character mechanic can get a little bothersome during boss fights...
  32. Dec 8, 2012
    This is the best hand-held Kingdom Hearts game so far, featuring a variety of new worlds, new fighting techniques, and graphics that are among the best I've seen on the 3DS. It's far from the longest game in the series, but has the same adventurous spirit as Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.
  33. Jan 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like as well as dislike this game, for a variety of reasons. Like-Graphics, unique locations, music, items to prevent drop, difficulty of boss battles Dislike- no exp from hidden boss?, cliff hanger ending, dropping without realization, limited number of key blades, concept of forming a keyblade (at end). For the amount of time you can play this game for, Overall, 8/10 Expand
  34. Dec 17, 2012
    Kingdom Hearts is a rare gem in video games. The series has largely spread to every gamer's Playstation 2, PSP, DS, and now 3DS. Not only has it spread through video games its has also become common in pop culture. It is difficult to not see a Kingdom Hearts shirt in Hot Topic these days. Many popular games eventually stumble and somewhere along their series where one game may not be as good as the rest. However, I am happy to say Dream Drop Distance is not one of those games. In fact, it improves many things. It is nice to finally see the move system from Birth By Sleep finally make its way to the Nintendo handhelds as well. Not only did the controls improve, the story has as well. Dream Drop Distance finally continues the story leading up to Kingdom Hearts 3, which from the ending, I am sure will be one of the best in the series. Dream Eaters are a different pace from the usual heartless and your dream eater companions are just as effective as Goofy or Donald were in the past Kingdom Hearts. Flow Motion is a step up as well which allows you to interact with the environment and attack enemies. The only complaints about this game is the constant dropping system. Dropping will force you to switch in between Sora and Riku and it will abruptly stop you in the middle of any fight including boss battles. If you happen to drop during a boss battle then you will be forced to retry the battle from the beginning. Another thing about Dream Drop Distance is the fact that the game is just a bit too short. With only several worlds that take about an hour total with both Riku and Sora you are only looking at about an 8 to 9 hour experience.
    Overall, Dream Drop Distance is an amazing game that even the newest members of the Kingdom Hearts franchise will enjoy. Although the game may have some annoying issues like dropping or how short it is, it easily makes up for everything it does right.
  35. Dec 28, 2012
    As a fan of the Kingdom Hearts franchise, I am glad to say that this, alongside Kingdom Hearts II, is one of my favourites within the series. While playing this I did not use a circle pad pro, however if you've played a handheld installment of the series, the camera really isn't that hard to use or get used to. Online, I have seen many people complain that this is not Kingdom Hearts III, however it does take place after the events of Kingdom Hearts II, therefore it may as well be basically a 'main game'. For people who are new to the Kingdom Hearts franchise, this game would be very hard to understand, therefore I suggest going back and playing Kingdom Hearts & Kingdom Hearts II, or if you do not own them, I suggest at the very least watching the walkthroughs, it would be worth your time. The combat in this game is what should be expected if you've previously played a Kingdom Hearts game, the only thing that I would complain about is the lock-on system, it is extremely difficult to lock on to enemies and takes a little getting used to. There are many new features in this game, such as the ability to have Dream Eaters as companions, the ability to play as Riku, and mainly, the 'drop system'. The drop system gives you a limited time playing as Sora and then will switch you to Riku's side of the story, vice versa. In the beginning, this was quite tedious, however it shows you both sides of the story, of what is happening at the same time and is a really good addition to the game. If you own a 3DS and are a fan of the series, this is worth the buy. If not, and you're a newcomer to the series, as I previously stated, I suggest playing Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II - as well as Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, or at the very least do yourself a favour and watch the walkthroughs, they're worth the time doing so. Expand
  36. Feb 2, 2013
    Great! Amazing graphic, the 3ds at its best! Good gameplay, similar to birth by sleep and not to coded or 358/2 days, and that's a relief. Changing dream eaters and trying out their fusion attacks and the abilities they can unlock adds fun to the battles. Cuddling them, instead, is just for the name of cuteness and after a while becomes a little boring. However I love this game also for the fact that more worlds were added, and that's great, because the same worlds were used in 2 or 3 games and a little innovation was needed. Expand
  37. Jan 26, 2014
    Absolutely love this game. The Flowmotion system makes the combat really smooth and fluid, and the environment is beautiful. It may experience slowdown sometimes, but not very frequently.

The only thing I really don't like about it is the Drop system. I want to be able to play as whatever character I want for how long I want to play as him, and the game should not be deciding that for
    me. Worst part is that if your drop gauge runs out in a boss battle, the boss battle starts over completely next time you play as that character again. It's just a terrible system and that's the only reason I'm not giving this game a 10. Expand
  38. Mar 14, 2013
    The prospect of playing a Final Fantasy vs. Disney game is a strange one. Over the years, I though it was weird, then promising, then unexciting, then weird again, then possibly compelling without even playing a single game. Dream Drop Distance was my chance to form an opinion by actually trying the series, and in the end the experience was a mixed one. As a newcomer to the series, I got completely overwhelmed in the start not only by the story, which doesn't seem to really make much sense, but also by the plethora of gameplay mechanics (some of which seem very dispensable, while others are flat out grating).

On the plus side, the visuals are very good, the action can be thrilling at times, and the Disney nostalgia is powerful. But this RPG/adventure hybrid lack the "starting an epic journey" feel inherent to most good Square Enix games. The presence of The World Ends With You characters seems telling here, since I hold pretty much the same opinion regarding that game a promising premise that gets tedious, repetitive and at times submerged by not-so-useful mechanics.
  39. May 18, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts 3D is for me as a Kingdom Hearts Fan absolutely crap. The Fighting-System was great and the gameplay, too. But the story is the worst of all Kingdom Hearts' and there are much mistakes in the story. It might be one of the best 3DS-Games but it's the worst of all Kingdom Hearts games.
  40. Jul 13, 2013
    Fantastic graphics, music and story. Great opportunity for replayability with harder difficulties too. I really enjoyed the new pet aspect of it where you create little minions to help you fight and level them up. I spent quite a long time grinding dream pieces to make greater and more awesome pets, not because I needed to but it was very fun to do. I don't think you need to have played a kingdom hearts game before to enjoy the story either. Expand
  41. Sep 11, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is an action rpg that directly continues the story where it left after the DS game Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, which followed Kingdom Hearts 2.

Story:
    The story builds on previous entries in the series, if you have not played any of them (or some) every previous game will have it's plot explained in short as will most terms used in the game
    (Keyblade, Heartless, Nobodies, etc...), still this falls a bit short and will surely have newcomers scratch their heads, for people who have played them all and know what the story behind the franchise is this is a treat.

The premise of this game's story is that Sora and his best friend Riku are now preparing to face the return of the evil keyblade wielder that is Xehanort, they do this by taking part in the Mark of Mastery exam so they can become full fledged Keyblade wielders. In doing so they need to "dive" into the sleeping Disney worlds so they can unlock these and halt Xehanort's return, however as the story develops you will see twists and turns, ultimately leading to the climax...

Gameplay:
    If you've played any other Kingdom Hearts it will feel very familiar.

You battle your way in real-time trough Disney worlds infested by nightmare monsters, trying to unravel the story behind each unique world, you'll quickly be introduced to the Dream Spirit system, in which you'll create monsters from materials gained in battle and minigames, in turn these spirits help you in battle.
    Battling will earn you XP and LP, XP is used to level up yourself and your Spirits, LP is used to unlock various stat boosting power-ups, abilities and skills. Every Spirit has their own unique talent tree in which you can spend their earned LP on. Personally I'm not a big fan of this LP system as it could've been worked out better.

There are special portals in which in fight various groups of enemies, trying to beat all the portals is the message here as you'll gain various items and recipes to create monsters, after beating the game you can re-fight bosses as well as one super boss, this keeps you going even after finishing the game.

Controls:
    If you've played any other Kingdom Hearts (except Chain of Memories) you'll be right at home with the usual controls, the controls respond very wel, the camera is responsive and you'll always have your Curaga at hand with the press of a button!

Graphics:
    Arguably the best graphics on the system, it is close if not surpass the visual detail of it's PS2 brother, some worlds are amazingly detailed, if you have seen the movies these worlds are based on, it will be an even bigger treat.

Music:
    Composed by the famed Yoko Shimomura, the music fits every situation in the game, dramatic, passionate, close to their Disney movies, the music is superb. There's also some fanservice at the end with arranged versions of Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 songs.

Positives:
    + Arguably some of the best graphics on the system
    + For fans who follow the story this is a fully realised Kingdom Hearts game
    + Fun combat that never gets old
    + Amazing music that fits the mood of the game
    + Some extras after the story is beaten
    + Story ties up some loose ends left from previous installments

Negatives:
    - Hard to follow story for newcomers
    - Spirit system could've been better

Conclusion:
    Having a fully realised Kingdom Hearts on the go is any fan's dream, well, dream no longer!
    This is what you're waiting for, as for people not familiar with the franchise, I recommend playing previous entries, with the HD release out now this shouldn't be a problem!
  42. Mar 11, 2014
    Kingdom hearts 3D is the only reason i bought a 3DS at all and it was worth every penny. The combat is the fastest it has ever been in the KH series, Dash to and from buildings to pull off amazing combos is extremely fun. Collecting Dream eaters is also pretty fun trying to find the right combo of Dream eaters for yourself i found to be an enjoyable experience. The OST and aesthetics are beautiful as i've come to expect from the KH series.The story is very enjoyable but it can be a bit confusing to those who haven't played all the games but it does give a nice little explanation of every game. Now for some of the problems i had with it only 2. The game was just a bit too easy and getting the secret ending was just way too easy. The worlds felt way too empty the size was nice but they just felt dead. Overall i really enjoyed it and i'm glad i bought it. Expand
  43. Mar 22, 2014
    One of the best 3ds games I have ever played, I never played a kingdom hearts game and I'm glad that I did it had a fun combat and I found it interesting how it incorporated some of my favorite disney movies into the worlds. However some of the bosses were really hard to beat and I died a good amount of times trying to complete them. Also is that the story was confusing, maybe that's because I never played any of the other games. Overall it was a good game and I had a lot of fun with it. Expand
  44. dz9
    Nov 30, 2012
    Coming into this game as a true KH fan, I was deeply disappointed in this performance. Let's start with the good, KH 3D brings the stunning presentation the series is known for onto the 3DS. The gameplay, although a double-sided sword, is the same from Birth By Sleep. That's where the good ends however, the new touch screen integration feel either tacked on, annoying, or broken completely. The new pet system feels forced and becomes tedious quickly. However the worst aspect of this game is the story, KH1 kicked the series off in a simplistic touching nostalgic manner while only getting more confusing and con deluded as the series has progressed. KH 3D seems to have taken a story which has already seemed to have lingered on past its due date, and kicks it off a cliff. Another detriment to the story is the way it's told, being halfway through the game, I still didn't know why the game existed and the payoff at the end could've just been explained in a short cutscene in KH3. Birth By Sleep's successful gameplay returns in KH 3D but due to the layout of the 3DS's controls as compared to the PSP's, you have to completely stop moving in order to control the D-Pad to scroll to your healing/attack powers which will result in game over more than once. (May be better on 3DS XL). The Good: Presentation, voice acting, and gameplay. The bad: Confusingly told uninspired story, gameplay, touch screen controls, and the new pet system. In the End: Only hardcore fans should pick up this game, they will be the only ones that can bare the first half of the story. Casual fans and newcomers should stay away completely. Expand
  45. Sep 23, 2012
    Before beginning this review, I think it's important to mention that I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game before. I saw a review for this one, looked like fun, so I picked it up. And it IS fun! The battles are fluid and pretty, the spirits you create add an entertaining element to the mix, and the music is wonderful. But after 20 hours of play, the fact that this is my only KH game ever seems to be seriously affecting my enjoyment. The plot is...messy...for a beginner. Cryptic characters appear, deliver a line or two, and vanish. I'm given a 1000-word help document that I can read to sum up an entire game I missed so I can appreciate this character's appearance. And the dialogue goes on and on and on...I can't tell what's actually important and what's just fan-service. Speaking of plot, I can't help but notice how much of it is dialogue recycled almost 100% from other games/movies with a few discussions about hearts and friendship sprinkled in for good measure. I guess what I'm saying is as a GAME it's quite fun; as a STORY it's boring and frustrating. But since I bought this game instead of a book, I can rate it higher than average. Expand
  46. Aug 4, 2013
    The gameplay is great. I recommend using the Circle Pad Pro to have a better experience.

Skills and magic are used with a recharge system instead of MP. Your partners in battle are monsters that you create with recipe, which I found strange at first but later on I enjoyed. It's easier to fight than the previous titles. You have to clear every world twice because you have to play with
    two different characters using the Drop system.
    Choosing a specific command it's complicated because you don't have the full command list on the screen, just a single line. You need to press up or down to go to next item on the list. So you can't choose the command that you want fast. You don't need to grind to beat the game, and I recommend that so you can have a good challenge.

The story is a little confusing but it's not something critical. And just like the previous titles, the soundtrack is awesome. Unfortunately, they repeated some worlds but not the monsters. When I get a new KH to play I always expect to see new areas and characters.

If you're fan of the series don't hesitate: you will enjoy this game.
  47. Jan 25, 2013
    Just when I thought combat could never be done any better then KH2, Dream Drop comes around. Was I surprised to see that not only was the combat on par with 2 on a handheld, but actually added more with flow motion and things just ran so fluidly. While the story REALLY starts to hit the weird point here I still loved every second of the ride. Really pumped to hopefully see KH3 soon.
  48. Jun 3, 2014
    The trailer is epic , but the game is not epic as shown in the trailer....I really wonder why they put a same series games over several consoles......I am not the kingdom heart fan who played all the series before , I never play ps2 kh , psp kh , and kh ds before....Actually I don't know what is the earth is going on with the story...This lead me to play psp, gba and ds kingdom hearts.....Still, I don't get it very well....The cut scene is good , the music is epic without any doubt , the game look a little bit pixelated on 3ds xl but nothing bother the gameplay. My conclusion is......GBA kingdom heart is the best? KINGDOM HEART 3D graphic improvement is impressive ,the story is weird as always , the flowmotion is amazing too! DONT BELIEVE REVIEW, BELIEVE YOURSELF , if you never play this series , you can try it..... If you found out the game is boring , don't blame me hahahahaha Expand
  49. Jun 30, 2014
    Finished this game just a moment ago. The story takes place immediately after the ending of Kingdom Hearts 2. Sora and Riku was called by Master Yen Sid to take the Mark of Mastery exam. By taking that exam, i can prove that they are a true Keyblade Master.

Plus point:
    - Finally we get to play as Riku! As we know Riku was being possessed by Xehanort since the 1st game, and by the end
    of the 2nd game. Sora was able to save Riku from the darkness. So, Riku's story feels really fresh, since it's his first time to fight as "The Good Guys".
    - New flow system and reality shift. This makes the battle more interesting, although at first you'll find it difficult to control your characters with the flowmotion, but you'll get used to it. While the reality shift system utilized the 3DS function, making the battle more interesting.
    - Quick recap to ALL of the Kingdom Hearts series. There are quick recap for every story previous Kingdom Hearts series, including the Birth by Sleep. Although it won't help you to understand the story completely, at least you will understand the referance.

Minus point:
    - This game is totally a side story kind of things. Well, 18 hours of gameplay is really short. So basically this is just a game to connect the dot between KH 2 & 3.
    - The new drop system is really annoying. In this game, you'll play as BOTH Sora & Riku, and you will change when the drop gauge ran out. Basically it's super annoying when you drop while fighting a boss, because when you return as that character, you'll have to fight the boss from the beginning again, back on Full Health. Sucks.
    - The plot twist is just crazy. I can't even follow it anymore. Since when did the game became this confusing? Although i must admit, i already forgot the story of KH 1 & 2. So yeah, this game leaves me with a lot of questions mark. Either it's too deep, or just annoying plot twist.

The verdict:
    KH 3D is a fun game to play. Although it's just some kinda side story, we got to see Riku's in action. Actually this game is more Riku than Sora. Also the world is still as beautiful as ever, especially the world of the sorcery, Totally brings back my childhood memories. The game is fun but don't expect too much from it.
  50. Sep 2, 2012

1. Nov 12, 2012
    A solid action RPG with tons of great mechanics. However, the mechanics have been over-combined, the game is very difficult and the controls should have been tuned up.
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    With it's seventh main game, the Kingdom Hearts-franchise switches things up quite a bit, making room for some exciting new elements, like the flow motion and the including of characters from The World Ends With You. At the same time it manages to keep things like they have been for the past six games, with plenty of beautiful Disney-worlds, great characters and a good mix of action and roleplaying.
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    Although the game is more an action-adventure than an RPG, this iteration of the Kingdom Hearts franchise is by far the best pocket adaptation yet. It ties all the loose ends, so that the Kingdom Hearts 3 can have a fresh start. [Sept 2012]