6.4

1. Apr 23, 2013
    This game is very well done. It ambitiously attempts to recreate the large open-world experience which was seen in the Wii U game and does so quite well. I do have a few complaints about the game however. The loading screens; they are few and far apart but when you do get them, they take entirely too long. The combat; all the combat is in this game is "press X to win" which I am not a fanThis game is very well done. It ambitiously attempts to recreate the large open-world experience which was seen in the Wii U game and does so quite well. I do have a few complaints about the game however. The loading screens; they are few and far apart but when you do get them, they take entirely too long. The combat; all the combat is in this game is "press X to win" which I am not a fan of although I realize one of this game's primary demographics is children, so I can't get too upset about that. The vehicle controls; the vehicles in this game are rather wild, difficult to handle, and turn too abruptly which takes a while to adapt to. And finally, the disappointing lack of voice acting; The voice acting in the cut scenes of the game is very well done, but throughout the other 98% of the game when the characters are communicating there is only on-screen text and no voice which leaves the character interaction feeling somewhat empty. Other than those minor problems, Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins is a solid, extremely entertaining game if you are looking for some light-hearted humorous game time. Expand
  2. Apr 21, 2013
    Game play is fantastic. Sandbox world is on par with LEGO Batman 2: DC super heroes. Missions and driving vehicles is kid friendly and fun. My only complaint is the circle pad response feels a little slow when moving character around. Overall a solid release from TT Games.
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Wow this game is so awesome. It is portable lego on the go. I really recommend you to buy this game. GOTY 2013 for me. I've already played it for like 12 hours and wow and I'm not even close to bored
  4. Apr 28, 2013
    Once again the 3DS gets yet another mediocre Lego game. Granted no one expects it to be the same as the Wii U version but the 3DS can do better than this shallow game. This game has a lot of fog much like the N64 games but its over 15 years late and such technical issues should have been dealt with.
  5. May 3, 2013
    Okay so the draw distance isn't that great and most dialogue is in text, but the game is fun. I have the wii u version and while that game is indeed better I ask this, what do you expect? This game has a lot of charm and fun to be had if you can get over its minor shortcomings. Plus it was released at a cheaper price than most other 3ds games when first released, although I don't know whyOkay so the draw distance isn't that great and most dialogue is in text, but the game is fun. I have the wii u version and while that game is indeed better I ask this, what do you expect? This game has a lot of charm and fun to be had if you can get over its minor shortcomings. Plus it was released at a cheaper price than most other 3ds games when first released, although I don't know why because IMO it would have been a worthy purchase even at full price. Expand
  6. Jun 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. es un buen juego de lego en todo toma aspectos de grand theft auto y muchos de su versión de wii u la historia me gusto pero lo que degrada al juego son sus tiempos de carga despues no hay voces y videos son pocos aparte de que ambienta ser para niños un poco luego fácilmente ganas pero tambien es para otras personas desde luego Expand
  7. Aug 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lego City is a nice game in terms of what you get to do as a player, but the game has fatal flaws. The missions are too straight forward and easy to complete with no real puzzle or challenge, meaning- anyone can complete the game within a few days if they really wanted to. Combat with the criminals is lacking, you can easily overpower them while other oncoming criminals don't bother to attack unless you are not currently fighting anyone. Also, vehicle control is very fast-paced and difficult, leading to frequent crashes. Unlockables are too easy to obtain- some merely "hidden" on top of buildings or in a random box that you would destroy to get coins. I am not a fan of on-screen text with no voice because it is easy to miss the conversations of characters. Lastly, the loading time is ridiculously long and boring. Though it gives tips on game play, after a few loading screens, you won't need any more tips, and then you just wait. Overall, I find LEGO City Undercover as an intriguing game, with some downsides that limit a fun game play experience. Expand
  8. Jan 8, 2015
    Didnt like it. The ending was crap. But the open world aspect was pretty neat. I recommend getting Lego City Undercover for Wii U instead of this crappy prequel story.
  9. Jan 11, 2015
    I'm honestly not sure why I was expecting much when it came to The Chase Begins. Maybe it was because LEGO City Undercover on the Wii U was fantastic or something? I have no idea.

There's many problems with the game. First problem: the open world. I would rather the game not even try to recreate the vast city in the Wii U version because this one just...fails. The loading times are much longer here than they were in Undercover and the fog is pretty distracting. Because of the 3DS' capabilities, almost everything is either "under construction" or blocked off.

Second problem: the story. There are so many things in the Wii U version that are completely trashed here. Rex Fury using a lawn mower as his escape vehicle? He jumps onto a moving car here. Rex Fury getting arrested on a bridge? He gets arrested in front of a bank. Chase not knowing how to use a Color Gun? He knows how to here (keep in mind this is a prequel). There's just so much wrong with the story.

Third problem: dialogue. LEGO City Undercover had talking, why can't this one? The 3DS can handle it, just look at Kid Icarus: Uprising! It's a shame dialogue boxes had to even be put in here. Fourth problem: emotion. This is a problem every single handheld LEGO game has. You can never get emotionally involved. Apparently, the characters aren't getting emotionally involved either as their mouths never move outside of the cutscenes and they just use the same voice clips over and over.

Fifth problem: fun factor. LEGO City Undercover on the Wii U was a fun game. It was one of the most fun games I've played in years. Chase Begins take it all out, buries it in a hole somewhere, and makes it boring. Driving around the city is no longer fun. It is a series of loading times and fog in the distance. Sixth problem: music. All of the music is ripped from the console version and placed into this one. Also, there is no music unless you're fighting or driving.

Overall, LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins is only a game for gamers that are in denial that the Wii U version is better. Can we get the console LEGO team at TT Games working on handheld games, please?

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The Chase Begins makes an effort of being like the Lego City game for the Wii U. Sadly it is quite obvious that the 3DS can’t realise the LEGO universe as well. The city is in itself nice but empty and desolate. Discovering secrets is still as fun as always but the lack of personality and humour halts the Lego games otherwise great sense of immersion.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    There's plenty to do in LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins, but a lot of it feels like padding for a somewhat disappointing story that will really only appeal to kids.
  3. May 30, 2013
    While technically impressive that so much can be done on the 3DS, Chase Begins covers familiar territory far too soon, the missing touches from the Wii U glaringly obvious.