6.4

1. Jan 11, 2015
    I'm honestly not sure why I was expecting much when it came to The Chase Begins. Maybe it was because LEGO City Undercover on the Wii U was fantastic or something? I have no idea.

There's many problems with the game. First problem: the open world. I would rather the game not even try to recreate the vast city in the Wii U version because this one just...fails. The loading times are much longer here than they were in Undercover and the fog is pretty distracting. Because of the 3DS' capabilities, almost everything is either "under construction" or blocked off.

Second problem: the story. There are so many things in the Wii U version that are completely trashed here. Rex Fury using a lawn mower as his escape vehicle? He jumps onto a moving car here. Rex Fury getting arrested on a bridge? He gets arrested in front of a bank. Chase not knowing how to use a Color Gun? He knows how to here (keep in mind this is a prequel). There's just so much wrong with the story.

Third problem: dialogue. LEGO City Undercover had talking, why can't this one? The 3DS can handle it, just look at Kid Icarus: Uprising! It's a shame dialogue boxes had to even be put in here. Fourth problem: emotion. This is a problem every single handheld LEGO game has. You can never get emotionally involved. Apparently, the characters aren't getting emotionally involved either as their mouths never move outside of the cutscenes and they just use the same voice clips over and over.

Fifth problem: fun factor. LEGO City Undercover on the Wii U was a fun game. It was one of the most fun games I've played in years. Chase Begins take it all out, buries it in a hole somewhere, and makes it boring. Driving around the city is no longer fun. It is a series of loading times and fog in the distance. Sixth problem: music. All of the music is ripped from the console version and placed into this one. Also, there is no music unless you're fighting or driving.

Overall, LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins is only a game for gamers that are in denial that the Wii U version is better. Can we get the console LEGO team at TT Games working on handheld games, please?
  2. Jan 8, 2015
    Didnt like it. The ending was crap. But the open world aspect was pretty neat. I recommend getting Lego City Undercover for Wii U instead of this crappy prequel story.
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    Once again the 3DS gets yet another mediocre Lego game. Granted no one expects it to be the same as the Wii U version but the 3DS can do better than this shallow game. This game has a lot of fog much like the N64 games but its over 15 years late and such technical issues should have been dealt with.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The Chase Begins makes an effort of being like the Lego City game for the Wii U. Sadly it is quite obvious that the 3DS can’t realise the LEGO universe as well. The city is in itself nice but empty and desolate. Discovering secrets is still as fun as always but the lack of personality and humour halts the Lego games otherwise great sense of immersion.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    There's plenty to do in LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins, but a lot of it feels like padding for a somewhat disappointing story that will really only appeal to kids.
  3. May 30, 2013
    While technically impressive that so much can be done on the 3DS, Chase Begins covers familiar territory far too soon, the missing touches from the Wii U glaringly obvious.