Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon 3DS

8.4

1. Aug 3, 2016
    Gameplay:
    Gameplay:
    Luigi's Mansion's gameplay transitioned beautifully to the 3DS, where it's gameplay and control scheme are perfectly suited for this system. Gameplay consists of using the poltergust-5000 to suck up ghosts and clear different areas of poltergeists. Carefully inspecting the environment to find hiding ghosts is a key element in this game. Puzzles are also present throughout the campaign and it can become challenging from time to time. However, boss battles were disappointingly easy and provided little challenge. The Scarescraper, the multiplayer aspect of Luigi's Mansion, requires teamwork with others online. There's a small variation between the different game modes and they can be customized with floor amount and even difficulty. It provides extra playability once the story mode has been completed.

Story:
    Luigi's Mansion takes place in various locations within Evershade Valley. King Boo has destroyed and stolen the Dark Moon and scattered the pieces in different locations. With the Dark Moon gone, all the ghosts have become dangerous and aggressive! It is up to Luigi to find the pieces and restore peace to Evershade Valley!

Graphics:
    The art direction of Luigi's Mansion should be applauded for their use of different color schemes. Dark rooms with dark color schemes indicates the presence of ghosts while empty rooms are bright and full of color. The use of 3D also adds immersion to the game and shows how 3D is still a useful feature in many 3DS games.

Verdict:
    Luigi's Mansion is a game that every 3DS owner should play! Veterans of the series can expect a sequel that lives up to the original and new players can expect a polished and solid gameplay experience! I recommend this game!
  2. Jul 21, 2016
    Took everything we love from the first one and made on a great 3ds game! Well I don't like it as much as the gamecube version but this one is just amazing still.
  3. Apr 9, 2016
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon had a huge step forward from the first game. It's longer, beautiful graphics, amazing storyline, and King Boo's look is amazing. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is awesome
  4. Mar 26, 2016
    Dark Moon is darker than the first Luigi's Mansion game. It doesn't mean that it's better though... for the Year of Luigi... and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team... this one managed to show Luigi's lovable side to Nintendo and Mario fans.
  5. Feb 12, 2016
    This is a great game, although I would not call it a masterpiece. Luigi’s mansion is a bit of platforming, exploration and puzzling. It is a very nice mixture in my opinion, but I found the game a bit slow and I think the ghost capturing process needs improvement. It is quite repetitive and pretty much the same throughout the game, dazzle them plus some vacuum power. I think much more canThis is a great game, although I would not call it a masterpiece. Luigi’s mansion is a bit of platforming, exploration and puzzling. It is a very nice mixture in my opinion, but I found the game a bit slow and I think the ghost capturing process needs improvement. It is quite repetitive and pretty much the same throughout the game, dazzle them plus some vacuum power. I think much more can be done with that and at the moment, after a few hours in the game capturing the ghosts gets tedious. Also the mission structure cripples the game in general, you constantly get messages from the professor and they only let you explore a part of the mansion at once which kills the whole exploration concept a bit.

Said that, I think this is a pretty enjoyable game, the mansions and Luigi are lovely and it is fun to play in general. The 3D effect is quite awesome and the graphics, in general, are quite good.

Summarising, I think the game is good but I don’t think is a masterpiece. I think it needs urgent improvement. They limit quite badly the exploration potential but puzzles are excellent, although they could be a bit harder. I think this universe is wonderful but I think it is a bit restricted with the whole haunted mansion concept. Don’t get me wrong the design of the mansions is amazingly well made, they don’t feel repetitive, but still, they’re just mansions; I was thinking why not expanding the concept, why not the whole kingdom gets haunted and go to woods, caves, mountains and stuff. Anyway, some really good stuff in this game, I just feel it could be significantly bigger and better; it definitely has potential to be a masterpiece.
  6. Nov 1, 2015
    I give this game a ten because I cannot think of anything glaringly wrong with this game, the story is a decent length with excellent replay value, there are tons of collectibles for you fellow completionists out there, the multiplayer is actually really good and all of the ghosts and Luigi are just so well animated.

If you have a look at the trailer of this game and like what you see,

If you have a look at the trailer of this game and like what you see, then pick up this game. I haven't met a single person who regrets buying this game.
  7. Aug 24, 2015
    Wow. My mind is blown. This game is awesome! It is so good! This is one of my favorite games of all time. The graphics are just amazing, the music gives the game a creepy and eerie but fun feeling, the gameplay is good, the story is fantastic, the game is funny, and at times… This game is hard! This game has you play as Luigi. He's helping Professor E. Gadd get back the broken pieces ofWow. My mind is blown. This game is awesome! It is so good! This is one of my favorite games of all time. The graphics are just amazing, the music gives the game a creepy and eerie but fun feeling, the gameplay is good, the story is fantastic, the game is funny, and at times… This game is hard! This game has you play as Luigi. He's helping Professor E. Gadd get back the broken pieces of the Dark Moon because it was broken by ghosts. You have to explore many areas getting back the Dark Moon pieces while capturing ghosts, collecting money and other treasures, solving puzzles, fighting bosses, and having an absolute blast. Yeah Luigi is terrified of ghosts and is a total wimp but he is so cool in this game. When I finished this game I was cheering for Luigi. I was like yeah Luigi! This game is made for all ages. This game will keep whoever is playing it busy. I was addicted to this game when I first got it. Ooh, this game is so great! Expand
  8. Jun 4, 2015
    Luigi's Mansion for GameCube was one of my favorites of that generation, and dark moon expands on that concept in a charming, inventive way. With clever level design, fresh new ideas, and nintendo's signature charm, this is a must-buy for any 3ds owner
  9. May 19, 2015
    Luigi's Mansion 2 in Europe... Luigi is hilarious as he acts frightened around the ghost, bats, spiders and mice that pop up out of nowhere. The sound design is very nice, with the music occasionally stopping so we can hear Luigi whistling nervously along. The game itself IS fun, however there are far too many interruptions for story and the mansion is split into "levels" which requireLuigi's Mansion 2 in Europe... Luigi is hilarious as he acts frightened around the ghost, bats, spiders and mice that pop up out of nowhere. The sound design is very nice, with the music occasionally stopping so we can hear Luigi whistling nervously along. The game itself IS fun, however there are far too many interruptions for story and the mansion is split into "levels" which require you to re-explore previous areas, but with new obstacles to overcome as you pass through.

I'd say if you enjoyed the Gamecube game you'll love this, as it is a definite improvement to that. The 3D looks awesome, with items going into and out of the screen. I once read complaints about the lack of the second stick (apparently the developers decided the circle stick pro didn't add to the game) which changes slightly the controls from the Gamecube, but the single analogue controls work great.

There are some new, interesting mechanics here, including the Dark Light, which add to the interest.

The broken up levels I complained about do however make the game more friendly to handheld play, as each level can be done in a few minutes, and the game auto saves in between each one - perfect for short bursts, but frustrating if you planned to sit and play for an hour or two.

Still, a great game overall.
  10. May 4, 2015
    This is the first Luigi´s mansion I played and I love it so much, it was really stressful sometimes but it caught me all night to play, the only thing I hated was that the time you know yo don´t have much time so if you wanna search and see what´s up in other places you couldn´t and I know they are missions but sometimes we are curious, but it was a great game
  11. Mar 10, 2015
    Very great game! The graphics are great for 3DS. The scarescraper is fun. The ghosts look awesome. This game is 10x better than the original one realeased for Game Cube. The gameplay is great except for some online lags. I go back and play this game for 1 reason: Catching ghosts. It is my favourite hobby in the game.
  12. Feb 3, 2015
    This game is good fun. It's not the most challenging around but the gameplay is great, it's very polished and it feels out of place in today's game market. Which is a good thing.
  13. Dec 5, 2014
    The gameplay is amazing,puzzles are inventive and difficulty is just great.I was afraid that since i was a novice this game would be to challgeing but it wasnt i loved it.But sadly you cannot save in the middle of a mission and this makes it slighty worse. Though when i needed to stop the game i just put it into sleep mode. Remove that and its a 10/10
  14. Sep 20, 2014
    This was the first game I bought with my 3DS and I could not put it down for weeks. I played through the game and beat the story and then I played every level at least 5 times, checking every nook and cranny for hidden gems and rewards.

If you liked the first game for the Gamecube, you will love this one. Great graphics, great 3D, music is brilliant and the gameplay is of course fun from minute one!
  15. Aug 14, 2014
    Luigi's on the spotlights again!!
    amazing gameplay, crazy and creative ideas, brilliant visuals and the sounds are well done and the team obviously considered even the slightest details on this one.

Gameplay: 9.5
    Graphics: 9.5
    Sounds: 10
  16. Aug 8, 2014
    This game is really addicting. But what made me drop one star was that if you lose a SINGLE LEVEL, you have to start it all over again.

All in all, cool game, thanks Nintendo for making!!
  17. Jun 27, 2014
    Well, its better than the first, that's for sure. Brighter colors, better controls, better animation, better levels, but 1 thing was on my mind the entire time I played it: it's more bland than the first one. The ghosts in the first one had better designs, especially the bosses. But that doesn't stop if from being a great game!
  18. Jun 25, 2014
    A must-have for 3DS owners. The gameplay is fantastic. There's stuff to explore everywhere. There's always new obstacles to encounter. It's just a blast to play.
  19. Apr 9, 2014
    Luigi's Mansion 2 is not only one of the best 3ds games, but one of the best games I have played in a very long time. The great thing about the game are the unique mechanics. There really isn't anything like it. It's a high quality game that every 3DS owner should have. Plus, it's full of that Nintendo charm and will have you smiling the whole way through. On top of that, it's got some funLuigi's Mansion 2 is not only one of the best 3ds games, but one of the best games I have played in a very long time. The great thing about the game are the unique mechanics. There really isn't anything like it. It's a high quality game that every 3DS owner should have. Plus, it's full of that Nintendo charm and will have you smiling the whole way through. On top of that, it's got some fun co-op multiplayer modes in it too.
    10/10 Superb.
  20. Apr 7, 2014
    Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for Nintendo 3DS is one of most fav games ever
    i enjoyed playing story mode, although for this Review i wanted talked about Multplayer
    the Multplayer was very well fun catching ghost and leveling up your poturgust 3000(i think)
  21. Mar 23, 2014
    One of the most charming 3ds games I've played so far. The story is hilarious yet intriguing, the mechanics are different as well as the style of stages, the puzzles are mildly challenging and very fun and there is plenty for hardcore gamers to enjoy for 100 percentage. The only complaint I have is the motion controls, which I find very unnecessary and hard to use. For example , if I'mOne of the most charming 3ds games I've played so far. The story is hilarious yet intriguing, the mechanics are different as well as the style of stages, the puzzles are mildly challenging and very fun and there is plenty for hardcore gamers to enjoy for 100 percentage. The only complaint I have is the motion controls, which I find very unnecessary and hard to use. For example , if I'm trying to cross a pit on a narrow platform, I'll have to use motion controls that make no sense, and I end up falling about five times every time. Overall, though, a fun and exciting that's guaranteeing enjoyment for all ages. Expand
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    This is in ways better and not as good as the original. This one has the great 3d graphics, but in 2d not much is improved. The levels are missions rather than exploring the mansion, which makes it easier for younger players or for inexperienced players but worse for experts and drops some of the original game's charm. The multiplayer is good fun, and if you liked the original you'llThis is in ways better and not as good as the original. This one has the great 3d graphics, but in 2d not much is improved. The levels are missions rather than exploring the mansion, which makes it easier for younger players or for inexperienced players but worse for experts and drops some of the original game's charm. The multiplayer is good fun, and if you liked the original you'll (almost certainly) like this. Expand
  23. Mar 4, 2014
    The game is great, the puzzles are super fun to solve. The only problem I had was not collecting enough coins to be abel to upgrade my poltergust. This kept me from finishing the game.
  24. Feb 2, 2014
    I totally liked this game's graphics and 3D-effect. The game got many funny parts, which made me smile a lot.
    Gameplay is quite funny, too: You have to explore a bunch of mansions and to capture some boss ghost in each of one. Each mansion is splitted into some missions, which each take you closer to the boss ghost. This is something I don't like, because you cannot save the game while you are playing a mission, and at each mission's end, you'll see a mission complete screen, how much points you got etc. This ruins some of the game's normally great atmosphere.
    When I started playing it, I learned that you can upgrade your vacuum cleaner buy collecting coins. I really liked this idea, but was disappointed after a few hours, when I saw that I have already unlocked all possible upgrades. Additionally, you are not able to choose the order in which those upgrades unlock.
    So after I completed every mission, I put this game aside and not think of ever play it again. It has an extremely low replay value. I have to admit, that I didn't try the Multiplayer, though.

I will give this game a 6, because it was quite fun, beautiful and so on, but it just isn't worth the 45€ I spent for it, because I know I will never play it again.
  25. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a good game. The original for gamecube is much better in my opinion though. what i didnt like:
    1. You have to complete mission to save. nuff said, thats not cool
    2. Horrible confusion: i found myself looking forever for what to do, only to find i missed something random with the dark light machine thingy.
    3. Some of the missions are, well, lame. e.g. the one were you go around cleaning up spider webs from the mansion. real fun.
  26. Jan 11, 2014
    I purchased this game in the discount bin at the local game shop and I can't put it down. The gameplay is addictive and fun, the graphics are incredibly charming and unique, and Luigi is such a kick ass character. As much as it's supposed to be a "scary" game for Luigi, it is in fact a hilarious game.

The only flaws I see in this are some very very minor frame rate issues, and now and then the controls feel a little cumberson: specifically, not being able to turn while you use the flashlight / vacuum. I guess that just gives it a little bit of extra strategy.

The multiplayer is also incredibly fun, especially because Download Play is an option.

Overall, I have zero regrets with this purchase. Can't recommend it enough!
  27. Jan 5, 2014
    The graphics are great, the basic gameplay is a solid idea (largely collecting/exploration with battle/capture interspersed), but there are a few failings that really stop this game from being as enjoyable as it could have been. I will preface this review by admitting that I have never played the first Luigi's Mansion. This really was not a problem in terms of following the story orThe graphics are great, the basic gameplay is a solid idea (largely collecting/exploration with battle/capture interspersed), but there are a few failings that really stop this game from being as enjoyable as it could have been. I will preface this review by admitting that I have never played the first Luigi's Mansion. This really was not a problem in terms of following the story or figuring out the gameplay, but perhaps lacking the nostalgia made me able to be a bit more critical of the game as a whole.

The lack of save points (automatic or manual) is likely to be frustrating for both younger and adult players, it leads to times you must replay the same mission a couple of times, which can be tedious, Additionally between missions Luigi is often summoned to and from the manor he is exploring to visit his mentor, when the player is returned to the manor it is back in the front hall, leaving you to navigate the same path back to where you had just been on your last mission,

The controls are not as fluid as they could be, Luigi's mobility can be really limiting when fighting certain enemies.

I did not enjoy this game as much as I expected to. It has charm and value, but I would not label it a "Must Have" game for the 3DS console.
  28. Dec 17, 2013
    An unbelievably fun game. It is a terrific adventure with excellent boss battles. The game has tons of replay value as long as you 100% complete it, every boo, every gem, 3 stars every level. A recommended buy.
  29. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No joke this game I should claim this game the god of all 3DS games on the market so far. No major disappointing content, Great graphics, great smoothing music. Plus a nice story that may have been repeated but a lot better. I am surprised on how much greatness this game had to offer unlike 3d land. I love the new features. The strobe light; love everything about it. Help you find clues, hidden areas, and pulterpups the best ghost in the game. The new and improved vacuum and the new ds thing called the dual scream. However this game does not deserve a 10 in the score. Why because after playing the game for 82 something hours you begin to occur some real annoying glitches. Like in the online tower some keys are not present even if there said to be there which end up F...... You up entirely. Also sometimes the ghost glitch and pause randomly and disappear and return. Other than that nothing major but that are in the game. The boss battles on the other hand are worse part to the game there the same ghost. Excluding king boo. This game is doubt the best game on the 3DS just above new leaf and sticker star. Expand
  30. Dec 5, 2013
    This game is really fun... when you're actually able to play it. However, each mission only lets you explore a limited amount of a mansion at once. Also, you're constantly interrupted by message from the Professor telling you what to do. Even when you replay a mission, there's still the same constant interruptions that you've already heard. The mansion bosses are kinda all over the placeThis game is really fun... when you're actually able to play it. However, each mission only lets you explore a limited amount of a mansion at once. Also, you're constantly interrupted by message from the Professor telling you what to do. Even when you replay a mission, there's still the same constant interruptions that you've already heard. The mansion bosses are kinda all over the place in terms of fun and difficulty. There's upgrades you can get for Luigi, but they're all in a fixed order, and you get all of them pretty early on.

Really, the biggest thing to me is that the replay value of the game is killed because there's always stuff in your way preventing you from just exploring a whole mansion at once, and there's always dumb messages from E. Gad that you can't skip over, telling you the same things you already know.

1. May 31, 2013
    Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon is a stellar sequel to a forgettable classic. Nintendo has refined the formula and made it interesting to fans and even those that didn’t find the appeal behind the original. For those looking for the next great 3DS game, don’t sleep on Luigi’s latest.
  2. May 27, 2013
    If Next Level Games had opted to make Dark Moon more of an open-world experience, granting the player free will to poke around its gloomily graceful environments without continual check-in interruptions, it could have been equated to a minor masterpiece. But the game is still something of a small wonder.
  3. May 22, 2013
    Beautiful, fun, ingenious and unique.