Mario Golf: World Tour 3DS

8.3

1. Mar 28, 2015
    This game is awesome. Best Mario Golf game so far. The graphics are amazing. The character selection is awesome! The golf courses are great. I really liked the Castle Club mode. Mario Golf: World Tour is an awesome game and I would definitely recommend you buy it. Also I loved the DLC.
  2. Apr 4, 2015
    This game is awesome. Just got it today Platinum Reward from Club Nintendo. The graphics look amazing. The controls are okay. The Character selection is good. The Courses are awesome. The tournaments are cool. The items are awesome. This game is the closest to a Mario Kart game because of the sounds. Mario Golf World Tour is a great game and it is worth buying/downloading.
  3. Jul 23, 2014
    This is a fun and entertaining romp in a game that, while all the technical aspects are not quite up to par, is still alot of fun. The technical problems that come up while trying to line up a putt are the biggest problem for me. It's hard to gauge the slope and the curve the ball needs to be hit at on long putts because of the camera. The camera gets in the way of alot of things whenThis is a fun and entertaining romp in a game that, while all the technical aspects are not quite up to par, is still alot of fun. The technical problems that come up while trying to line up a putt are the biggest problem for me. It's hard to gauge the slope and the curve the ball needs to be hit at on long putts because of the camera. The camera gets in the way of alot of things when hitting the ball and I've suffered a few penalties because of it. But the game has alot of charm going its way. I really wish they would have brought back the storyline aspect from the original Mario Golf on the GBC as just going through and playing these courses can get a little old sometimes. There's no objectives here beyond getting first prize and I was hoping for something a little more robust. That being said, it's a fun and entertaining game that will keep you playing for awhile. However I would say that the most recent version of Hot Shots Golf on the Vita is better than this game. I'd recommend that before recommending this. Expand
  4. Jun 12, 2014
    As a kid I played Mario golf for hours and hours and hours, and I loved it. Last year I started playing again on an emulator due to the lack of mario golf in my life, and played until I was able to get a score of -24 (with save states) and -15 without. This game is almost everything I wanted and more from a new mario golf. The castle club mode is somewhat disappointing due to the fact itAs a kid I played Mario golf for hours and hours and hours, and I loved it. Last year I started playing again on an emulator due to the lack of mario golf in my life, and played until I was able to get a score of -24 (with save states) and -15 without. This game is almost everything I wanted and more from a new mario golf. The castle club mode is somewhat disappointing due to the fact it is only three tournaments and then you win the game (technically), but I've played about 40 hours since I "beat" the game and I'm still having fun. The challenges range from easy as can be to extremely difficult, and there's just so much to do, especially if you buy the DLC, which is well worth the price. If you ever played mario golf 64, the DLC will make your day. There's hundreds of things to unlock at the boutique, and then there are costume challenges. I adore this game and highly recommend it, and I haven't even played the multiplayer. If you want a good sports game, or just a great game overall, get this game. Expand
  5. May 2, 2014
    I remember the good old days of Mario Golf and Mario Tennis on Nintendo 64 pretty vividly. I couldn't be happier to have both on the 3DS. I was pretty surprised at how challenging this one is, I'm glad they made a difficulty level so all gamers can enjoy and not be bored of sinking eagles and birdies every hole. The menu is pretty standard and easy to maneuver around. Really all I can sayI remember the good old days of Mario Golf and Mario Tennis on Nintendo 64 pretty vividly. I couldn't be happier to have both on the 3DS. I was pretty surprised at how challenging this one is, I'm glad they made a difficulty level so all gamers can enjoy and not be bored of sinking eagles and birdies every hole. The menu is pretty standard and easy to maneuver around. Really all I can say about it at the moment since I've only put about 2 or 3 hours into the game, but so far it's worthy of donning the Mario Golf name. Replay value is awesome, gameplay is solid, definitely a good addition to anyone's 3DS lineup. Expand
  6. May 2, 2014
    So excited to have Mario Golf back from Nintendo and Camelot. The game has some of the best online options Nintendo has ever made. These options GREATLY give the game legs to keep playing for months on end. Nintendo is also offering 6 18 hole courses as DLC and this is great as well. The game is $5 cheaper than other 3DS games so I think this is a great way to give players more options ifSo excited to have Mario Golf back from Nintendo and Camelot. The game has some of the best online options Nintendo has ever made. These options GREATLY give the game legs to keep playing for months on end. Nintendo is also offering 6 18 hole courses as DLC and this is great as well. The game is $5 cheaper than other 3DS games so I think this is a great way to give players more options if they want it. OH, and the golf, the golf is solid and challenging. Dont think you can chip your way to a birdie on every hole pal...no way. Great all around game here! Expand
  7. May 10, 2014
    First off I want to say this game was addicting and fun. the 5 i gave it comes from the fact that there is only 3 trophies to win as part of the campaign. Also, since camelot was involved in developing the game I thought there would be much more leveling up components but all there is are some different clothes that increase very little of your golfers attributes. After the campaign thereFirst off I want to say this game was addicting and fun. the 5 i gave it comes from the fact that there is only 3 trophies to win as part of the campaign. Also, since camelot was involved in developing the game I thought there would be much more leveling up components but all there is are some different clothes that increase very little of your golfers attributes. After the campaign there is online but it gets old, and online tournaments are a dead end (master gamers whose score is -24 will always win the prize).
    Other than that its a fun game but not really packed with content that Nintendo is known for in their games. I can see why it costs 10 bucks cheaper than their other games. I recommend buying the pysical copy in case you want to resell it. I made the mistake of buying the digital version but I beat the campaign in a couple of days.
  8. May 2, 2014
    This game utilizes realistic golf mechanics, but adds to the game of golf itself. 3x18 holes of semi-realistic and increasingly difficult holes to get you started. Then, you can try the dozen or so different challenges. 6x9 SMB themed holes. Then you can play golf where the winner is the fastest to the end, not the lowest scorer. Try a game of the 'winner is the golfer who snags theThis game utilizes realistic golf mechanics, but adds to the game of golf itself. 3x18 holes of semi-realistic and increasingly difficult holes to get you started. Then, you can try the dozen or so different challenges. 6x9 SMB themed holes. Then you can play golf where the winner is the fastest to the end, not the lowest scorer. Try a game of the 'winner is the golfer who snags the most coins.' This is a $30 base game with unlimited re-playability. (And 3 DLC packs over the next two months) Even after you complete every challenge and unlock the hundreds of Mii custom items, you can still test your skills online, against the world. World Tour, brilliant.

~ 8 hours playtime so far. The point is lost only for the lack of a more coherent 'story mode.' (More dialogue options for NPCs could have even worked, there are some really charming ones) There is a single player campaign mode, and there are some great dialogues with of Castle Club members. The campaign serves to unlock content (Mii character equipment, SMB themed 9-holes, etc...) but not much story. Some 'pro' reviewers have docked 20-30% for this reason (Maybe they are upset Mario isn't holding their hand on the links). I think the campaign is set up in a way that encourages player curiosity. It's not a bad thing,I didn't expect this game to have a meaningful progression, it's golf! The lack of story frees the player from linear progression, so if you don't want to tackle 18 holes right now, OK, go play a challenge mode. Also: The menu system didn't confuse me. The bad reviews on the other hand...
  9. May 4, 2014
    World Tour is a worthy advancement for the Mario Golf franchise: it leverages the services of the 3DS platform well with both StreetPass and SpotPass content and offers online tournaments with a variety of modes and customizable rulesets. These tournaments offer a competitive feel while providing rewards and incentives even if the player doesn't win or isn't even very successful.

The

The golf play itself is wonderful. The environments and visuals are universally appealing, though the lower screen controls are busy and initially confusing to the player; the tutorials are almost mandatory for the average gamer. Despite some complexity in the controls, they are accurate and put the player fully in control of where his or her ball goes minus environmental influences like wind, grass type (fairway, rough). I've only gotten myself stuck on the side of a hole beyond the rough once; it's still nearly impossible to recover from those situations but they are infrequent.

Detractors for me included misleading ball behavior as indicated by the HUD when driving/approaching and the lack of a personable feel in online tournaments (though this is probably a necessity to maintain pace of play) as players are only represented by their balls and there's no communication between player in these online tournaments. Maybe the Mario Golf - Versus modes will offer a more group play-like atmosphere unlike the online tournament play.

The pay-for course packs are unappealing to me and are very unfamiliar on the 3DS platform, though the concept was introduced in the Mii Plaza application last year. Pricing for these packs is reasonable, however, but we've been relatively free of pay-for DLC on the 3DS platform for this long and have to get used to the idea now starting with World Tour.
  10. May 24, 2014
    I know this is just another golf game but the graphics and personality it gives is just wow I think this is a little underrated but I'll give it time I give this a ten
  11. Aug 3, 2014
    The gameplay is still fun and addictive, but Nintendo have strangely stripped away many of the RPG elements that made the previous game in the series so outstanding. Instead of seeing your character gradually level up their attributes to become a golfing master, all you get in this title is coins to purchase new equipment. The problem with this is that much of the new equipment comes downThe gameplay is still fun and addictive, but Nintendo have strangely stripped away many of the RPG elements that made the previous game in the series so outstanding. Instead of seeing your character gradually level up their attributes to become a golfing master, all you get in this title is coins to purchase new equipment. The problem with this is that much of the new equipment comes down to preference without objectively improving your Mii (for instance, a new club may increase your drive distance but you will need to compromise some of your accuracy).

Another gripe of mine is the number of gimmicky power-ups like bombs and boomerangs needed to pull off impossible shots - give me more good old-fashioned normal golf any day. However, I must say that the online play is an excellent addition. There is a huge amount of content to unlock, but it isn't as deep as I hoped.
  12. Mar 18, 2016
    I've had a soft spot for Mario Golf since Toadstool Tour on Gamecube, which had many many hours of play way back when. The GBA game, with its RPG stylings, was also fun though predictably scaled back compared to the Gamecube version.

In comes the 3DS World Tour, the latest in the series. Bringing the Gamecube's 3D gameplay to a handheld this is probably the best version of the game yet. Controls are tight, and work well in an arcadey fashion - no Tiger Woods style swinging your club with the analogue stick - here you take A then hit it again at the right point to set the power of your shot. Tapping B instead of A activates manual mode, which then requires a second tap to set the accuracy of the shot - A or B creating a standard shot, and AA, BB, AB or BA creating various top or back spin variations. Its deep without being taxing.

Each character from the Mario universe (or your Mii) has different shot types and powers which subtly affect gameplay. The courses are imaginative and fit into the Super Mario universe. Additional courses are available as DLC and for myself represented good value, with several extra courses available.

Skill courses are also available that require you to perform tasks whilst making par, in order to gain coins that unlock further courses and holes.

Online play exists where you compete across courses against any and all. These play out much like a single player game, except that you can see other shots from players' ghosts occurring around you.

Amongst my favourite 3DS games, and certainly my favourite "sports" title on the console (excepting Mario Kart....)
  13. Aug 5, 2014
    This is a tough one. It's obviously a well made game, but this doesn't stack up to the previous games in the series, nor more modern equivalents like Hot Shots Golf. I loved the old RPG like experience of Mario Golf games of the past. This game has literally none of that. The gear that you win, as rare as it is, largely doesn't effect your stats, and after the first few pieces, basicallyThis is a tough one. It's obviously a well made game, but this doesn't stack up to the previous games in the series, nor more modern equivalents like Hot Shots Golf. I loved the old RPG like experience of Mario Golf games of the past. This game has literally none of that. The gear that you win, as rare as it is, largely doesn't effect your stats, and after the first few pieces, basically everything else is cosmetic. The gameplay itself is solid. If you are a single player, there just isn't enough content to justify a purchase at 30 bucks. There are only THREE main courses. This is absolutely pitiful. There are a couple different 9 holes for different challenges, but not enough to make up for the dismal lack of courses in the main game. Nintendo is going to charge us 15 extra bucks for another trio of courses, so it just feels like this game was either shipped out too soon or had the courses chopped off for the big N to test the DLC waters. It doesn't have any single player season or the like to keep you going. You play a practice round on the first course, play a handicap round, then the championship proper. Beat that, easy enough, then the next two courses are also pretty easy to best. I took the second course in two rounds and the third in a single round. The Princess Peach "challenges" only net you costumes and you seem to have to play practice rounds between each to get a new challenge to pop up. There is a new nine holes for a tough par 3 challenge where you are allowed 1 tee shot to get on the green and one putt to move on to the next hole. Hit it in the fairway/rough, challenge over. Miss the one putt, challenge over. If you have a Vita, Hot Shots Golf puts this one to shame in terms of content. The solid mechanics are largely the same in both games, so no issues there. If you can find the game at a nice discount, I'd consider it. Any other scenario, not really worth it unless you'll relentlessly play online matches and don't mind the complete lack of RPG elements or meaningful improvement through gear. It's an overall mediocre experience. Expand
  14. Jan 30, 2016
    I was pretty sure the game would be a tone down version of Mario Golf, from what I experienced with Mario Tennis Open, but I was wrong, and that's a good thing. There's lots of course variety, the gears are actually a better option than leveling up due to Online competitiveness and talking about Online, it is amazing all the options you have for Online play !

I still have some gripes

I still have some gripes about the game. First the graphics, while not being horrible, are subpar to Mario Golf : Toadstool Tour, a 2003/4 game. Second, for whatever the reason, Camelot inverted the blue/red colors for everything about the gameplay, like height difference, terrain leveling and even the +- lie percentage, it's very annoying for a long-time Mario Golf player like me.

Also, I didn't find how to preview spin shots. I think they removed that, which is a little stupid.

[Edit]
    After more than a year now and close to two, I have to lower the score to 7 and rectify what I said about the Online Mode : The gear, while varied and numerous, is absolutely disastrous. At first I would have thought you would be able to change the ball height and spin : At the time I didn't have a lot of unlocked so I thought I didn't have it yet, but no. You only can balance distance for accuracy and if you hit the ball straight or not for a little more distance.

They also never fixed the annoying red/blue colors mess-up.

With the now released Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, I do feel like Camelot lost their touch
  15. May 15, 2014
    I've grown up with Mario Golf since I was a kid. The one on the Game Boy Color was my very first video game in fact and they inspired me to actually play golf as a kid.

The main thing that's great about this game is the vast improvements that it makes regarding just about everything. One of my main complaints in the past was how Toadstool Tour sometimes had these weird camera angles that sometimes didn't show where your shot or put was going, but this error has been resolved. Better putting and chipping physics make them easier to perform and makes them more reliable as well. There's also a metric ton load of content to the game with numerous challenges and numerous customizations for your mii. I appreciate that rather than throwing you in with some random character that Camelot constructed that you play as your Mii and get to customize him. However there is only so much customization you can do and a lot of the different options are superfluous. It's kind of disappointing that I can't turn my Mii into some overpowered monster golfer like I could in previous iterations, but I understand there is a need for balance with the online gaming community. Characterwise, the game offers a wide choice of options, and the game does a great job of retaining a consistency with the characters in past games with their victory poses/dances.

As for some of the issues with this game, it's hard not to miss how parallel this game is to others and how a lot of the content is recycled. The game takes a lot of cues from the past, and not a whole lot of this is new to a veteran myself. I breezed through the game and even it's one-on and one-putt challenges and other what not in the first day of play. I still have all the star coin and moon coin challenges to do, but for a veteran, the games content is likely too easy. Aside from some star coin and moon coin challenges that are absurdly dependent on using items which are way too gimmicky for my liking. Also, it would be nice if I didn't have to listen to Mario say "Lets-a play" every five seconds while I line up a shot or hear Waluigi cry out impatiently or Daisy doing whatever Daisy does. It's annoying filler for the silence. Also, when lining up shots, I found that you can't alter the impact point on the ball while lining up your shot anymore. That takes away a lot from me making the best shots in various positions, and is rather annoying having to leave it to guess work.

There is DLC, but it's based off of the Mario 64 courses, and the wave of nostalgia is palpable. I love this little bit of fan service and the ability to play through the old courses with the significantly improved mechanics. Online tournaments keep things fresh, but don't expect to win :P. It is fun to see how you compare to others though.

Overall, great game with plenty of challenges and options of play styles. There are a few issues regarding recycled material and too much chatter in between shots, but this is as polished a Mario Golf experience as you can find.
  16. May 7, 2014
    This is my first Mario Golf game (coming over from the Hot Shots franchise). It is an excellent golf game with a TON of content -- You just need to know where to look. Naturally, you'd assume that the RPG'ish Castle Club mode would have all of the single player content, but it only has 3 tournaments and some other challenges that periodically pop-up. I think that most professionalThis is my first Mario Golf game (coming over from the Hot Shots franchise). It is an excellent golf game with a TON of content -- You just need to know where to look. Naturally, you'd assume that the RPG'ish Castle Club mode would have all of the single player content, but it only has 3 tournaments and some other challenges that periodically pop-up. I think that most professional reviewers didn't spend much time with the game after completing those, I almost didn't. The challenge modes found under the quick play menu and the online tournaments (of which there are plenty) are addicting and varied.

Total playtime this far: 17 + hours. Great game!
  17. Jan 19, 2015
    This is the best golf game I have ever played, loads of content to keep you going for months, the on line tournaments are superb and well supported. Every time I turn the game on a new challenge is available. I am not a huge golf fan but this game is top quality and the controls are beautiful, you will soon be a pro. This game is worth getting. I would say a must have.
  18. Sep 20, 2016
    Mario Golf has always been a fun series for me to play & this one is no exception.

PROS -Campaign Mode for your Mii -Challenges -Lots of Unlockables -Lots of Courses -Online & Local Multiplayer CONS -DLC makes game easier -Grindy -Some Challenges are really hard -Confusing at first FEATURES The game starts out a bit confusing & the tutorial barely shows you anything.

PROS
    -Campaign Mode for your Mii
    -Challenges
    -Lots of Unlockables
    -Lots of Courses
    -Online & Local Multiplayer

CONS
    -DLC makes game easier
    -Grindy
    -Some Challenges are really hard
    -Confusing at first

FEATURES

The game starts out a bit confusing & the tutorial barely shows you anything. My first impression was "How do I do this or that? Where is this?" You pretty much have to figure it all out on your own. After you do, it gets a bit less frustrating. I purchased the DLC after playing for a few hours & found out the DLC actually makes the game easier in some aspects. It gives you 4 new characters & their STAR variants which are basically super powered versions. Every other character you have to unlock their STAR variant, but the DLC just hands them to you. The other thing about the DLC is the Gold Mario character makes earning coins 1000x easier. Before, I had to literally grind for coins & would barely earn anything. Like, maybe 200 coins in one hour. Gold Mario, every time you hit the ball you earn about 200 coins, basically turning the grind into a "Hit the ball & get free money!". The downside though is he actually kind of sucks as a character, as his ball bounces like crazy to earn more coins. But seriously, the grind is ridiculous without using Gold Mario. You'd have to maybe play the game for 4-6 hours just to earn enough coins for one or two cheap items for your Mii. There are faster ways of earning coins without him, but it involves playing the same challenge mode over & over agian & even then you don't get nearly as much coins as you would if you use gold mario.

The campaign mode is basically, go talk to a toad, run a practice match & then play a tournament. If you win, you get a trophy & a kind of cool cutscene that shows the Nintendo characters conversing with your Mii. I thought it was neat. You also unlock more content & the next tournament with every victory.

The challenge mode is where you unlock new characters, outfits & courses. You need to earn Star Coins & at certain thresholds you will unlock something. The hardest of these are the Ring Shot challenges as they make you hit the ball into areas you wouldn't normally hit ever & they can be a big pain in the rear to complete, since you also have to make par. I'd advise skipping these ones if they give you trouble.

There's also online multiplayer & tournaments but I haven't played anything online yet.

OVERALL

The game is really good, possibly the best Mario Golf game I've played to date. The DLC may seem like a bit of a toss but it is worth picking up as well, if only to make earning those darn coins that much easier. The graphics are really good & getting a birdy or eagle gives you a neat animation for each character, the coolest one probably being Rosalina. I have yet to hit a hole in one, but I'd bet that animation is probably kick ass. If you can find a copy pick it up or just get it digitally like I had to. It's got enough content to warrant the full $30 price tag ($45 with the DLC).
  19. Jun 13, 2015
    I'm giving this game a ten out of ten because it delivers everything this game needed. The character roster is fantastic and the characters are given tons of personality all over the board. Plenty of courses with many designs with even more as DLC. A shortish but good single player campaign in the castle mode. A ton of collectible gear to acquire. This game was bright & colorful and fullI'm giving this game a ten out of ten because it delivers everything this game needed. The character roster is fantastic and the characters are given tons of personality all over the board. Plenty of courses with many designs with even more as DLC. A shortish but good single player campaign in the castle mode. A ton of collectible gear to acquire. This game was bright & colorful and full of charm. A perfect golf game. Expand
  20. Jun 7, 2016
    It's a good thing to know the Mario Golf series is still going great especially if it's on the 3DS or not. Let's hope the next installment can do better.
  21. Mar 23, 2016
    Mario Golf on 3ds is my favorite handheld game. All of the courses are rad. There are "power ups" that you can use on your stroke that do a variety of things to your advantage. There is a definite sense of accomplishment when you knock in a birdie or an eagle under par. I've knocked in 5 "hole in ones" myself.
    They money maker on this game is definitely the online tournaments. They
    They money maker on this game is definitely the online tournaments. They are competitive and highly rewarding. This game is a must have for anyone looking to veg out with a nintendo 3ds.

1. CD-Action
    Jul 23, 2014
    Camelot managed to develop a game that will please golf enthusiasts as well as engage those who fall asleep as soon as the conversation about this sport starts. [06/2014, p.65]
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 12, 2014
    An entertaining golf game, which can't quite decide whether its focus is Mario or golf. [June 2014]
  3. Games Master UK
    Jun 7, 2014
    The standard of golf is terrific, but more tournaments in the single-player game would be welcome. [July 2014, p.74]