8.3

1. Apr 3, 2014
    before the game came out there was a rumor about nintendo releasing DLC for games, and then I kept seeing mario kart 7, and I got really excited with the possibility of extra tracks other than the usual 16, and i was a little let down by the absence of that feature, especially with so many "classic" tracks that either came from mario kart wii, or from the classic track selection from mario kart wii, we expect to see new tracks everytime in 3D, thanks to moves like this, some people will never see their favorite tracks in 3D, because Coconut Mall is more important.
    the random selecting track when playing online is a joke, there's a 90% chance you'll get tracks like coconut mall, daisy cruise, or 2 others ALL the time, sometimes is so frequent I wonder why didn't they call this coconut mall 7
    also a cheap move was making you limited to getting 10 coins max whichever mode you're in, and don't give you coins you get in time trial or vs time trial, the lamest padding to make the game last longer considering you need them badly to unlock new kart parts.

but the gameplay is great, and the new gliding feature works really well and can give you a boost if get to use it well, really fun.
    also they went back to 8 players in a race instead of the crazy 12 from mario kart wii, so that's a plus!
  2. Mar 19, 2014
    The Diddy Kong Racing format was much, much, MUCH better. I can't even comprehend why they don't use a formula similar to that. There is zero strategy in this game other than trying to not be in first place until the bitter end of the race. Random power-ups are just not fun IMO. Being heavily rewarded for being in last place and heavily punished for being in first just doesn't cut the mustard.
  3. Mar 7, 2014
    Cool Graphics with traditional game-play. Difficulties tend to be too easy once players get used to the control. Need better variations in game-play and more complicated control to make the overall game even better and enjoyable.
  4. Feb 16, 2014
    Abit of treading water is going on here. The course design is nothing special and the elements they've added add very little to actual gameplay. A lazy update
  5. Feb 2, 2014
    Mario Kart 7 feels no different than its Wii predecessor. In singleplayer, you can choose out of 4 classes and out of 8 cups. Each cup consists of 4 Tracks. 4 cups consist of totally new tracks, the other 4 contain classic tracks. You can earn new kart parts by collecting coins, unlock some additional characters and get yourself some stars behind your nickname in multiplayer by completing every cup with a certain number of stars. Like in the Wii game, it is not exactly clear, what requirements have to be met to get the maximum of three stars.
    There is also a Time Trial mode, where you can beat the records of people you met via StreetPass or SpotPass. (I actually never played it). You can also practice multiplayer games against the AI.
    After I got the three Stars in every cup, the singleplayer offers no replay value for me, because I'm not interested in Time Trials.

As always, Mario Kart's strength is its multiplayer. You can play this game via download play, which I totally love. Players without a copy are forced to play as Shy Guy and cannot customize their karts, but who cares? You can race every single track, participate in cups, etc.
    Internet play also works smoothly. Matchmaking doesn't take long and is mostly balanced. You get points for wins and loose points for losses. It is exactly the fun I expected. Sadly, you can only race single tracks against another. No cups are available in open matchmaking. Every player votes for a map and then one of them gets picked randomly. This sounds nice and fair but I found myself playing the same track a couple of times in a row.
    Of course there is also the well known balloon battle mode and some other competitive minigames.

Mario Kart offers enough unlockables to make for a satisfying singleplayer. Its multiplayer works well and offers a lot of fun. You can also switch in to cockpit perspective and steer by using the gyrosensor. I would turn off the 3D effects for this one, though.

Still, it suffers the same problem of the Wii title: If you are a crappy driver it doesn't matter a bit, because the worst players get the best items, and the best player the worst items. You can race a perfect track and still get hit by a blue shell and then get placed last. You need no skill at all to hit with a red shell, and you normally can't evade them. I think that the game is just unfair, and that gameplay Is somehow broken because of this. Still, multiplayer offers lot of fun, especially when playing with friends. Drifting works like in the Wii, not the DS game.

Overall, graphics and sound are awesome. I like the new tracks and the selection of the old ones. I dislike gameplay balancing. Still it makes very much fun.

I do not understand that games like this, that are predestined for DLC doesn't get them, instead games like Super Mario Bros. gets some more levels...
  6. Jan 17, 2014
    one of my fav games when i was little is mario kart 64 next to super mario 64 this was one best classic n64 games that was on wii i enjoyed playing this alot but there could been more cool fetures like the past games have
  7. Jan 12, 2014
    This is a wonderful and probably the best racing game on the 3DS out here right now, and the quality of multiplayer greatly increases the amount of play value in this game, but it lacks two things that can make this game a wonderful one to play on-the-go. The first thing is that there is no VS mode (aka single player, choose your own options tracks). This is a huge problem with the game, as there is probably no wifi therefore no online play for you to play when you are away. The second thing is that battles have time limits, which isn't much of a downside, but if you remember MKDS, There was never a limit. You could play and have fun while screwing with the AI as much as you want. The roster is also quite small, but that could be changed with a dlc or update. This game is still a wonderful solid game that should be played by all mario-kart and racing game fans!

Gameplay: 9/10
    Story: N/A
    Music: 8.5/10
    Presentation: 7/10
    Length: 9/10
    Overall: 8/10
  8. Jan 4, 2014
    As a long time Mario Kart fan, I can easily say that this game did not disappoint. It somehow managed to take the graphical level of the Wii version, improve on it, and put it in a handheld console. The drifting mechanic has been changed to mimic the Wii's, requiring you to hold left/right continuously rather than wiggle the d-pad left and right. The gliding mechanic works quite well, and is quite fun to play around with. The kart customization is fun to change around and mess with to find your dream kart. The Wi-Fi multiplayer is excellent, and is where I spend most of my time. Even if you don't have an Internet connection, the challenge of obtaining 3 stars on every cup is always there. Overall, I'd say this is one of the best games available for the 3DS, and I would absolutely recommend it for every 3DS owner. Expand
  9. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is the best mario kart game ever, the tracks are really fun and there are many new and great characters. The only defect is that we can not play quick matches (vs.)
  10. Dec 7, 2013
    It's Mario Kart on the 3DS. Not much more to say.

The core game is great here--casual kart racing with insanely addictive multiplayer and smooth graphics. What's wrong with the game? Lots of things.

The multiplayer, while very fun, is extremely limited in terms of game modes. The two "battle" options are very simple offerings. The main mode is amazing, but major disconnection issues
    plague one's experience. It's rather annoying, especially when it takes a long time to load, connect, reload, and so on.

There are also very few characters to choose from, with just over 15 unless I'm mistaken. The new courses are pretty good, but none of them are anything spectacular. Also the kart customization is quite useless, as is the "gliding" mechanic and the underwater segments, as they last only for a minute or so.

The item imbalance will kill you--but that's what you've come to expect when you hear "Mario Kart," right?

Other than those flaws, the game is great--addicting, fun, nice-looking. A good game for the 3DS, and for any fan of Mario Kart or kart racing in general.

Points off Presentation and Formula for sameness of other MK games.

Presentation: 6
    Formula: 6.5
    Visuals: 8
    Audio: 7
    Gameplay: 7
    Lasting Appeal: 10

Overall: 7.3/10
  11. ERB
    Nov 22, 2013
    I have to admit this game is fun.The game is good without any story.What important in this game is It's game play which is fun and I love playing this kind of game.Almost all racing games in this generation disappointed me but this one it is more than I expected.This game is fun and I really love this game.Mario Kart 7 gets a score of 8 which is good.This game is fun and I recommend you guys to buy this game.This game is fun and entertaining so try playing this game and have a good time. Expand
  12. Oct 25, 2013
    Kinda boring after a while. The Mario Kart formula works better on home console when you can use a joystick to drive around. The analog stick on the 3DS doesn't really drive all that well. I was disappointed with this game, but if you're a huge Mario Kart fan then go ahead and get it.
  13. Oct 20, 2013
    Definitely the best game on the 3ds. The gliders and going underwater are great improvements, and I loved a lot of the courses, and no bad items all the new ones are good and they got rid of the fake item box.
  14. Oct 19, 2013
    The game is a little too hard at 150 pp.Next letters are useless dont pay attention to them.iooiooiuoiuoiuouououoiuiouugsjgyhuhkjyhfsduilhgjsyiughswyrughdf
  15. Sep 22, 2013
    Mario kart 7 is a decent game. But has lots of problems. First of a all this game was rushed for Christmas which is why retro studios had to come and help. But that is why there are not a lot of characters in this one. Also no vs mode offline is really annoying to those that would like to race by them selves on there own decided courses. Time trails is not that good because you can't save a replay and the ranking is not like Mario kart wii how it had a better ranking system. Now for the good. First online is here with 8 player battle and vs which is really fun. Your ranking goes by VR in this one just like Mario kart wii. But you gain VR slowly and I barely get matched up with people around my skill level, I've been paired up with someone that had 33,000 VR meanwhile I only had 1,137 VR. That is a problem which every nintendo game online suffers with. I can describe online in one word lag. No matter how good of an internet you have you will get lag which is frustrating I have been hit 3 times in less than 5 seconds with that stupid tanooki tail, star than red shells. From 2nd to last in less than five seconds. It's not fun when that happens because no matter what item you get it won't bring you back I guarantee. Now for communities, first thing I thought of when I heard about communities. "Wow this actually seems cool" but I was dead wrong. First of all your community is not private as people you've played with can join via the friendsopponents list. And it takes long to join one once I was waiting for 30 minutes to get in one and it had five of my friends and we all have good internet. The game had no skill involved all luck. Such a frustrating game. Wow so you don't get much in this game. This game could have been somewhat better if it was not rushed. But they knew people would still buy it which is stupid. I would rather wait and make the game better than making it rushed. Please nintendo don't this again it's embarrassing and just shows how much you care for the quality of the games, the fans and the reputation of your games. Expand
  16. Sep 13, 2013
    THIS GAME IS AWESOME! Best racing game I've ever played! I love the battle mode too! The new items are,well,pretty much useful. But I think the best part is the Internet Multiplayer. 10/10.
  17. Sep 12, 2013
    Alright before I begin, let me get this out of the way first. Out of all the Mario Kart games, Mario Kart Super Circuit still remains one of my favorites. Mario Kart 7 was the first 3DS game I ever had. The 3D is great, the gameplay is fun, and the multiplayer is fun. It's cool that you can race everyone from around the world online, but when you use the items they don't even WORK at times! It takes over probably 2 seconds to hit the opponent right in front of you!

But even so, Mario Kart 7 rocks. Score: 9/10.
  18. Sep 4, 2013
    Um dos melhores "Mario Kart" que já joguei, gráficos incríveis para um portátil, jogabilidade bem feita, cenário bem trabalhados, diversão solo ou multi jogadores, seja multijogador local ou online, ressaltando que o modo online muito bom, um grande jogo, com cenários dos antigos jogos para os saudosistas, jogo incrível.
  19. Aug 29, 2013
    Aww, another multiplayer-only game. Yes, it contains a single player mode but it's so pathetic. They made the V.S. mode only for the stupid multiplayer. I want to race with easy CPUs on 150 cc on my favourite tracks, and that's ruined because of the multiplayer crap. What a shame. Another bad thing is the fact that unlocking characters is HARD. Good things about the game is Rosalina, who's getting another chance to be playable. And the multiplayer is good, because this game is ONLY for multiplayer. If you're a single player fan, stay away from this game. Expand
  20. Aug 21, 2013
    MK7 is the best handheld Mario Kart game yet. Heck, it is the best handheld racer ever released. The online mode is the best we've seen in a Mario Kart game (although there is potential to be much better) and the gameplay is as tight as ever. My only gripe with MK7 is the fact that it is on a handheld. I love the Mario Kart series, but that is due to its local multi-player. Because it isn't easy to gather a group of friends who all own a 3ds and MK7 and are all available to play, my favorite aspect of MK is removed. However, if you enjoyed any handheld MK games of the past, you are sure to enjoy the new levels, and additions (underwater/skyglide) of MK7. Expand
  21. Aug 4, 2013
    Just like every other Mario Kart, this is a great multiplayer experience. However, what hinders this game from getting a perfect 10 and me, still preferring to play the old "Mario Kart DS" instead, is the simple lack of the "Settings" option that exists both on the Wii and DS version.

What exactly am I talking about?
    Well, first off, let me have you know that,
    Graphics in this game
    are amazing, top notch.
    Online is the best in the series so far.
    Levels are maybe not THE best in the series, some of the new ones are fun, but I definitely miss some old ones, but that wouldnt keep them away from a perfect score in my opinion.

So, to answer what I mean with this "Setting" stuff.
    In Mario Kart Wii as well as DS you can play multiplayer. When you do so, you can then choose the rules of how you play which are two simple choices "Wins" or "Races".
    This means if I play multiplayer with 5 friends, we can play a tournament, with the computer over 30 races if we wish. Or 2, or 8,15, you get it, whatever we want.
    Now however, some genius at Nintendo decided to remove this option, limiting us to 4 race tournaments.
    There is nothing wrong with a classic 4 race tournament of Mario Kart. But the question is, why remove the option?

I who personally love to play a cup of 8 races with my brothers and friends can now not do that. And another thing is when playing the "Communites" online, I can there also, only play 4 races, but now without any computers, which mean I cant play an online tournament with one friend...unless its one on one races of course.

Thats really not what Mario Kart is all about.
    Of course I can go and play against other humans with my brother, and keep track of where we are placed. But video games are a lot about immersion, and that kind of ruins it.
    This is why I now have gone back to Mario Kart DS when racing on my handheld with friends.

Great game, but a simple setting is what has taken away the lasting appeal along with the perfect 10 to a 7 out of 10 with this rating system.
  22. Aug 3, 2013
    Game play-9: This game is the best of the mario kart series, and it makes me never want to return to wii again. The controls are amazing, and the secrets are very nice. However, in wifi matches, the items are highly overpowered and often leave me in poor places just because of luck when I should be in second or third. In other words I had to dock a point because the items are very unbalanced. However, this is one of the smoothest racing games available and you cant hate that, and the gliding and kart building feature are as good as Nintendo's ads would make you think.
    Length-7: Sure it has 4 difficulties, but it's just the same experience harder. There is a nice variety with 32 tracks, but grand prix mode blows by in an instant, a problem with all mk games. Although however, you can still shoot for VR and records, and the difficulties is at least somewhat padding so I'll let it through with a 7, although i was considering a 5 or 6.
    Sound-9: I love the crisp and great sounding music, and the retro tracks revamps sound especially well, I found a few tracks that didn't sound good though so i can't give it a perfect 10.
    Graphics-9: The backgrounds and everything are amazing, however i found a few things a bit underdone, but all in all it gets a 9.
    Fun-10: The fast paced fun it gives can't compare to most other games, unless your tired of it, it may be one of the first games to come to mind when you want to have fun with friends. This masterpeice is the pinnacle of not just the mario kart series, but the entire racing series itself!
    Overall: 8.75, it rounds up to 9, and you know what, it deserves to be rounded up!
  23. Jul 29, 2013
    I love mario kart all the mario kart is very well but this mario kart is for me the .........best of this serie .
    the modifications with the new features to make this game a global success
  24. Jul 20, 2013
    This is a great game, but it's not the best Mario Kart game.
    First, the good: This has the best tracks in the series. Every new track has been made with care and precision, and every retro track has been remade perfectly (except Koopa Troopa Beach- they butchered that imo). Online is also amazing, and you'll find yourself spending hours racing against strangers of varied skill. This game
    also has the best controls of every Mario Kart (turning doesn't suck, and there's no snaking), and single card multiplayer allows all tracks to be played (unlike Mario Kart DS only allowing 8). Now, the bad. Firstly, the characters suck. Instead of Waluigi and Funky Kong we get a fat bee and the jerk that throws spinies at you. Sorry to be negative, but characters could have been so much better. Metal Mario is cool, though. Then there's the absence of single player VS. I spend hours upon hours on that mode in MKDS and MKWII, so Nintendo removing it is a step backwards for me. Battle Mode sucks, too. It beats the Wii's abysmal battle mode, but points are not as fun as lives. Lastly, the game came with a few glitches- they aren't a big deal, but they shouldn't be there. Still, an excellent game and I recommend it to any 3DS owner. It plays the best, but lacks features. 9/10 Expand
  25. Jul 17, 2013
    This game is amazing. The track designs are perfect, allowing secret shortcuts, including great obstacles, and generally excelling, and the 3D effect couldn't be better. Those who've played mario kart before know to expect by now. Mario Kart 7 adds some new items- the fire flower, which does exactly what you would expect, and the tanooki suit, which allows you to flick nearby karts with your tail. The problem is it's nigh-on impossible to get close enough to a kart to do that. The last new item isn't really new- the lucky seven gives you seven items to use, but one of those a bob-omb, and if a kart touches it you both blow up. Another is a star, but another kart could easily collect it. So the new items are disappointing, but at least not crazily out of control like in Mario Kart Wii. There's a new feature though- kart customisation. Using this, you can piece together a kart using wheels, the kart itself, and the glider to go with it. It's so much better than ever before, allowing you more freedom with karts than ever. There aren't many characters to choose from, but you can play as the 3DS's mii. Just not as anyone else's mii. The character options aren't bad, but there could be more of them. Another addition is the glider. Off certain ramps, you can soar through the air. It's faster than driving, so you should stay in the air as long as possible. There is a time trials mode as well, which is made better by streetpass and via the online mario kart channel. Which brings me onto another thing: the online. This is brilliant, as you can not only search for random players, but play with friends, and create your own custom communities with set rules for what items appear. And there's also local multiplayer as usual. This is an excellent Mario Kart game, second only to Mario Kart DS. Expand
  26. Jul 15, 2013
    Addictive, fun and visually good could be improved by the inclusion of more characters to play as.
    Simple and easy to pick up the online feature is pretty good and is a step in the right direction for Nintendo.
    Definitely worth a your money
  27. Jul 10, 2013
    this game is incredible it has good gameplay good graphics excellent online mode good tracks this game has a lot to do and a lot of items the best mario kart to date.
  28. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mario Kart 7 is defninitely a solid entry into the MK franchise, however, the only qualm I ever had with the game is that, after completing all of the CCs and acquiring all Kart parts, the game begins to lose a little bit of its shine, as at that point, the game comes to rely on the online functionality for its fun, as well as the multiplayer. There was a time, back when Mario Kart Double Dash was the major MK at the time, even though there was no Story Mode, as is typical with Mario Kart, Double Dash had a decent amount more replay value than Mario Kart Wii and 7. I feel that what I am trying to say is, Mario Kart 7 is good...for a while, until its replay value starts going down. Expand
  29. Jun 21, 2013
    Almost too slow to call a racing game. Instead of addressing the broken mechanics, Nintendo just adds more issues. Being in last place has become essentially the same as being in second. Get a power-up or two and you'll move right back to the front of the pack. Once the king of kart racing, Mario Kart's refusal to improve has left it at the back of the pack. Nintendo needs a blue shell badly. I highly recommend Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing Transformed (on anything but the 3ds). Its way faster, way more challenging and the races are frantic without having to boost all the players in the back of the pack, and punish the ones in the front. Expand
  30. Jun 16, 2013
    Just like the console version! Very fun! Shame about no cross-play features though The main downside is the game can make you feel quite noxious when driving (especially in 3D).
  31. May 5, 2013
    This series has been a popular success, boosting Mario's popularity. Mario Kart 7 is no exception. Really good Streetpass content, one of the best online games, more wacky races and an enhanced battle mode. An almost perfect game excluded by the lack of a VS mode to play in a shorter period of time. Definitely recommended for all of you gamers who need a challenge.
  32. May 4, 2013
    Just looks the same from other games like always sorry but MK games is now a copy over from other games only with new things added to this one and lack of characters too where ist Waluigi go?

And the bikes too? They is no bike's anymore?

Then most part I asking you all to stick with the Wii version is better than this one.
  33. Apr 30, 2013
    There are really cool characters to unlock. When you unlock Wiggler and you get hit by a green or red shell (or anything) he goes red and gets really angry and goes faster than usual. You can go faster in water in some of the races, wind-gliding is lots of fun and drifting is really fun especially in Luigi's mansion. I find that collecting coins can take a lot of time as you can only collect 10 per race and you need 20,000 coins to complete the set. Expand
  34. Apr 27, 2013
    I would give the game an 8 out of 10, if it weren't for the exclusion of single races for the single-player mode. And who would honestly be interested in driving as Queen Bee? Lol. Other than that, it's a fun, easy-to-get-into racing title with a nice visual upgrade.
  35. Apr 19, 2013
    Everything about this is an improvement over the Wii version slightly better handling, replacing the tricks with surprisingly good hang-glider and underwater sections, great course designs, slightly less chaotic, meaning a skillful player stands a higher chance of winning (as opposed to the Wii, which made it very hard for the most skillful player to consistenly win, with it's over the top blue shells etc.)

The graphics are a big step up from the DS version.

The reason I'm marking it with only 3 stars, is for 2 of the most willfully stupid design decisions I've ever seen in a modern video game.

Firstly they've removed single races so if you want to have a quick race on your favourite track? Tough, you can't. You have to do a 4-race Grand Prix in sequence you can't just have a single race. So if the track you fancy playing happens to be the excellent new Rainbow Road track, you have to finish 3 other races before you're allowed to play it (unless you choose to do a solo time trial). While it's not game breaking, it is an idiotically stupid decision. It's really page one of Video Game Design 101 in a racing game you let players pick a course and race on it... has there been any other racing game in modern gaming history where that feature was removed?

And secondly there are 2 camera views normal and the view surprisingly works really well, gives a great impression of speed, lets you have a close-up view of the other racers. It should be a lovely optional extra feature for players who prefer it... except... when you select view, tilt controls are enabled whether you want them or not.

Other companies allow the player to choose which control method they prefer, and which camera they prefer... but apparently not Nintendo.
    If you like the view, you have to suffer tilt controls whether you want them or not... and if you prefer the conventional view, you're not allowed to use the tilt controls even if you wanted to.
    Tilt controls are ok, but tilting messes up the 3D so you you like the 3D effect, and like the view, you have to painstakinginly keep the 3DS dead level as you steer with the circle pad (cirle pad still works in view), anytime you accidently tilt the console, you veer off to the side.

Another annoyance is the 3D the depth of 3D is really toned down here, compared to something like Starfox. Again, other companies might let the player choose how much 3D the player wanted (after all, that's the whole purpose of the 3D slider) but no, Nintendo have decided that the players only have the option of a very gentle 3D effect here if you wanted deeper 3D like other games? Tough, Nintendo have decided you can't have it.

There's no denying, it's great to look at, fun to play but when Nintendo start turning into Apple, with their philosphy of telling customers what they want, instead of allowing them to choose, and it starts to impact on how much fun a game is to play, they deserve criticism.
  36. Apr 8, 2013
    MK 7 has good things to it yes I did had a problem with it however, on the internet you can't jump on it WHEN you want to nope it will say the server is down or something that is unacceptable for a MK game I never had a problem on the Wii game one.

And cra med all the other level 's in one big game from the DS one to Wii, and update which never got a good score because of 1 thing the
    internet is poor! Expand
  37. Apr 7, 2013
    Although I am a bit late to review this and I got it first thing it was released, I am still going to.
    It is a lot better looking than any other Mario Kart game although it is still the same base game there are many new tracks and lots of new features. I am glad there aren't bikes in this game and I like how they used the gyro/motion control of the 3DS and you can use it if you want to.

It is also nice that you can now use gliders in the game if you go on blue boosters, it is quite enjoyable and can sometimes show off a bit of the track. The coin system is allso interesting, you can get coins to speed you up more but it is only a small increase in the speed and coins contribute to some unlocks.
    Although I don't think that half the game should be retro courses, I reckon it'd be better is there is only 4-6 of them.
    The multiplayer either online or locally worked amazingly and had to be the best multiplayer out of all of the Mario Kart games. Although the friend code system can be a bit tedious and would be better if only one person needed to add you then you get a notification saying if you want to add them or not would be a lot better. Other than that it works quite well.
    It is quite sad that they removed the VS mode where you can just race against CPU's as practice for Grand Prix's you can still use VS mode in multiplayer with a friend, but even without the VS mode for singleplayer I still enjoyed it a lot, even though there can be a bit of coin grinding here and there.
    One final thing; the Streetpass/Spotpass features are quite good, you can race against people you saw online with their ghosts and people you pass by in Streetpass if they have the game and you can do other things too.
    Overall great game and I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who'd like to try out a racing game for the 3DS or is a fan of Mario.
  38. Mar 28, 2013
    Wow. Just wow. Between this and all the other Mario Kart games, this franchise is, hands down, my favorite VG franchise ever. Firstly, the courses. The courses have a great deal of diversity to them. From the simplicity of Toad Circuit and Luigi Raceway to the epicness of Rainbow Road, all of the courses were very fun to play. Second, the karts. Where do I begin? Really, everywhere! The kart customization, never before seen in a Mario game, shines. My personal favorite is the Soda Jet with mushroom wheels and the paraglider. I'm telling you, the possibilities are endless. Finally, the online play. Let me just say this: About 90% of my time playing this game is for the online. The new addition of communities is nice. It's also very challenging in some of them to get to the top of the leaderboard. You start with 1000 VR, or BR if you like battles instead of racing. From my knowledge, the limit is 99,999 VR(BR). My goal is to get to 10,000 sometime. About 5,800 to go! Overall, this game is quite possibly the best Mario Kart game yet, and I look for more in the future! Expand
  39. Mar 9, 2013
    There is no vs and the game is like Diddy Kong racing (airplane=glider and boat=propellers in water). It doesn't help if you can't connect to StreetPass
  40. Feb 24, 2013
    Mario Kart 7 was in my opinion a good game. Its what you would expect of a Mario Kart game. The gameplay is familiar, and quite good, and i sunk hours into it. The only things that bothered me were small things like the lack of characters from previous games. The character roster being rather small compared to what I thought it would be. Waluigi, Dry Bones, Dry Bowser, Birdo, Funky Kong, as well as a few others, have been ignored in favor of some less important characters (IMO) such as Lakitu, Metal Mario, Wiggler, and the Queen Bee from the Mario Galaxy series. I mean c'mon why would you take Waluigi from us? The 10 coin limit is also rather annoying when you are trying to unlock different car parts. All in all, its worthy to pick up, but it could have had a lot more unlockables, maybe a few new modes to shake up the mix, and easier online capabilities. Expand
  41. Feb 22, 2013
    This game is good, but it's nothing you haven't seen before. Yeah, there's bigger customization options now, but most of them don't make that much of a difference. I really like the glider and underwater racing idea, though. I also really hate the retro course idea. I mean yeah, it's cool to have some retro courses thrown in here and there but don't make HALF of the game retro courses, it just seems really lazy and doesn't offer a whole new experience, other than the fact that some glider and underwater racing parts are thrown in sometimes. Expand
  42. Feb 21, 2013
    This Mario Kart may not have had as big of an impact on its system as Mario Kart DS did, but it is unquestionably the best Mario Kart yet. The controls are very smooth and precise, and I have my own customized kart that I can maneuver almost perfectly. I was disappointed that there was no traditional versus mode with just one player and computers, but maybe that was something only I enjoyed. The lack of missions didn't bother me. The graphics for the most part were amazing, the best yet, although some character models like Bowser still seemed kind of clunky. The tracks weren't as memorable as past ones felt, but after going back to play Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart 7's tracks seemed a lot more complete and satisfying in comparison. The re-addition of coins is great as well. Mii characters are forgettable. Some character choices are questionable, especially the lack of Waluigi... but this is definitely the best Mario Kart I've ever played. Expand
  43. Jan 25, 2013
    Take the amazing online introduced in Mario Kart Wii, add some nice new stages, make it portable, and your ready to roll with this 3DS must purchase. Although the character roster seemed so lacking it was hardly enough to put me off from the rest of the game. It's what you expect from Mario Kart and a little more.
  44. Jan 12, 2013
    Once again Nintendo show why Mario Kart is still one of the best game series on any console. The game looks great, the new features do really add to the gameplay and the only multiplayer is great. If you own a 3DS you have to but this game.
  45. Jan 1, 2013
    In comparison to it's predecessors, Mario Kart 7 does a fantastic job of knocking them off course via blue shell. The many different courses that could be selected, the kart customization, the new characters; it all was a thrilling ride.. While it lasted, which wasn't very long. I had high expectations when it came to this specific Mario Kart, and to be honest, it didn't live up to what I thought it would. Nintendo had so many opportunities to change things up with Mario Kart 7. A good portion of the game, felt recycled to me. Although it was nice to have many different courses to choose from, many of them were from previous titles in the series. The character roster also felt very small - and I've unlocked every playable character. It would have been great to see new play modes as well. The coin collection and balloon battle modes are quite fun, however it would've been really nice if Nintendo had of added at the very least one extra mode. To end my review, I say that this game is worth purchasing, if you don't mind playing through some of the old courses, or are new to the series. Expand
  46. Dec 30, 2012
    Possibly the best Mario kart (there are several levels from the past incarnations) with the 3d and beautiful graphics this game is a must own for 3ds. It's pretty alright but also mk7 has a few little additions like underwater racing and a glider attachment such make this addicting racer a blast for all ages!
  47. Dec 26, 2012
    Wonderful! What I like best about this game that it stays true to the "portable" spirit. It's simply perfect for killing time between classes, in a bus, waiting in line for the doctor and the like. While this might make your "casual radar" go wild, make no mistake, MK7 is a very well crafted game with a strong multiplayer feature. Simply seeing the amount of detail put into the tracks makes my heart jump with joy. The racing mechanics are very good; the new gliding feature is super fun and works particularly well with the 3D (Alpine Pass is simply breathtaking). Cart customisation (which affects the way cart behaves) + 16 different characters (17 when you add Mii) allow you to add personal touch to your racing. Overall it's a very solid game that makes for a perfect introduction to a great system that is 3DS. Expand
  48. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is definitely one of the better Mario Kart games made so far, in spite of the feeling that it is somewhat rushed. Game play has gotten the addition of gliders and underwater driving, both of which do feel like a nice change from the usual driving experience in previous games. Both allowed me to find alternate routes and even some shortcuts, so they really do work. The kart handling in these areas do vary with different combinations, some will work better than others, but the experience is satisfying. My only problem with these two features is that on a few of the tracks they do feel pretty useless, like the underwater driving on N64 Koopa Beach. Otherwise, they are cool new additions that don't screw up the game play. The single player offering is solid with the usual circuit racing, battle mode, and time trials. The new tracks are colorful and creative, and do offer their own sort of challenge to the game, like Music Park and the new Rainbow Road. Retro tracks are also nice and utilize the new track add-ons effectively, for the most part. Battle mode is decent, but I wished the new courses actually had some gliding and underwater driving. In spite of that all the tracks are pretty cool, too. Plus, collecting data via Streetpass can get you another person's ghosts and their own created Grand Prix, which is an interesting versus mode-like way to play. While it doesn't have the options of Vs. mode, if you like the tracks in this game, then the custom Grand Prix will be an enjoyable experience. Multiplayer mode is amazing, especially the online, which is really the best so far. The ability to play in communities with set rules is a nice change from just entering random matches. You can also play against registered friends, past opponents, and people you've met by way of Streetpass as another way to join a game. I was even able to see my record against them and even what mode they where playing in (Battle or Race). That, along with very little lag, no hackers, and the patch to fix glitch abuse on some of the tracks makes this a big improvement in the online department. As for the local multiplayer it is just as good as what the DS version offered, and I found no problems with that either. The items have been toned down, and some were taken out (like the POW block) to scale back the luck element, and take my word for it: it's for the best. The new items also don't feel too over-powered. The Lucky 7 is very useful and not frequent, the Fire Flower can be annoying at times, but is a great projectile weapon, and the Tanooki Tail is good for close-combat and defense as long as you're patient with it. I was only annoyed by the Blue Shell's ability to roll me to a side, although it rarely threw me off the track and I do feel like that complaint is being over-blown by some people. The game itself does lean towards pure racing rather than luck so that better drivers will finish higher most of the time, which is great for the serious gamers. The sound is superb, with many catchy tunes for each course, and the character voices didn't annoy me a lot either. Graphics are great for the platform and the 3D effect is nice to look at as well. Section tracks were a cool new feature, kart customization is simple, but not too streamlined, and the first-person view with gyro controls works surprisingly well. The only problem with gyro controls is that you are using them on a handheld, so it will feel awkward at first. The character list is pretty good, even though they did take out some popular ones from past games, and the character list size of 17 is actually not that bad for a 3DS game. Sense of speed in this game is pretty nice for a Mario Kart game, and not too boring. They did bring back coins to increase speed and unlock new kart parts, which is also nice to aim for in a race. The tweaks to the game may be conservative, but Mario Kart is at the point where the core elements have been so tampered with, that they have found the right spot in this game.
    All-in-all, this game is excellent. I do wish the single-player offering was a little deeper, the characters choices a little better, and the new battle tracks a bit more inspired, but those are really just minor problems. Multiplayer is better than ever, tracks are great, game play is well-done, and the game is fun all-around. Must-own if you have a 3DS or are a fan of Mario Kart.
  49. Dec 11, 2012
    Mario Kart 7 is the best Mario Kart franchise of all time! Across the land, water, and air with glider! And this is only Mario Kart that can customize your car! This game is really great for Nintendo 3DS.
  50. Dec 11, 2012
    I'd say this is one of the better Mario Kart games out there. I enjoyed it more than the Wii version and the old DS version. I'd recommend this over the others due to the greater variety of sections, where you can drive under water for a little bit or use a glider. This breaks up the action nicely so it is not as monotonous as previous games. One thing I will say on the negative side is the amount of levels is the same as always, 4 new cups and 4 revamped old school cups from previous game making up 16 tracks in total. If you have played all the Mario IKarts to death like me then the old cups are slightly.. well.. been there done that.. While not a bad number it's just a big boring sometimes to see the same set up with every release. Expand
  51. Dec 7, 2012
    I love mariokart 7. i think its the best or at least joint best with with DoubleDash. It handles great and looks great. the lack of characters is a dissapointment though. and the new tracks are good, but the choice of classic tracks are a massive let downs. i expected to see more super mario kart/mariokart 64/mariokart super circuit/doubledash tracks, but we get a mixture of those with WII and DS tracks. WTF. they arent classics, they are recent. dont include them in. we want nostalgia. Mariokart WII is the WORST mariokart yet. and im soo glad nintendo redeemed themselves with 7. they also didnt even pick the best tracks from the DS and WII version. i think what could have been improved also is the lack of characters and lack of customisations. you should have a lot of customisations to begin with, and be able to unlock more and more more frequently. not do 8 races to unlock 1 set of tires youre not going to use. ive always been an acceleration man myself but when it comes to customisation im presented the same problem i had with mass effect 1. with mass effect 1 you would get some amazing armour, with the best stats, but it was green and pink and looked like turd; then you get some amazing, bolt metal, heavy machine armour, but its stats are awful. With mariokart 7, my best combination is to have a bumblebee car, small puny tires and a parachute. the car looks awful, but has the best stats for me. id prefer it if you picked the stats you want, and had the customisations you want. i know this kinda defeats the point of customisation. but do we really need it? its fun and good....if its done properly but i suppose for the first to include customisations, its done a pretty good job. i would recommend mk7 to anyone, and it will take many many hours of your time. oh and 1 more thing i dont like...they took out that options mode where you could create a little vinyl to have on the front of your car. that would have been perfect for street pass, so i dont know why theyve taken it out :/ Expand
  52. Dec 7, 2012
    This game is excellent, the gameplay is phenomenal, there is nearly nothing wrong with this title. These three things would be 1-lack of characters, 2-hackers/cheaters online, and 3-10 000 VR for something.[spoiler free review] Overall 9.7/10, a vast improvement over Mario Kart wii
  53. Nov 29, 2012
    I'm not that into racing games so for someone like me to give a racing game 9 out of 10 you know it's good. The driving mechanics are tight and responsive, drifting to boost is always rewarding. There is an impressive library of courses and you can tackle each one several ways. I enjoyed being able to customize my Kart and the fact that a glider will pop out when you are airborne was a fun addition. The online is very well done and lots of fun. It is a game a hardcore gamer can enjoy or you can toss it to a first timer and they will get the hang of it very quickly. I do wish you could make your own courses like modnation racers but with a library so big your not going to get bored anytime soon. Great work nintendo MarioKart keeps its place at the top of the kart racing pyramid. Expand
  54. Nov 25, 2012
    This game is like a advanced version of Mario Kart since it had to do with Streetpass, Spotpass, online 8 players, underwater race, air race, and more! There are so many new features in this game. This game may get boring, but it's one fun game to play. Players who played the older Mario Kart game might enjoy this game and also who is new to Mario Kart. Instead of choosing a selected car, you can customize your own car in 3 different parts. These 3 parts are: Body(This is where you sit), and Wheels(This is needed for driving), and Wings(You don't want to fall 100 feet!). This game is worth it and if you're tired of hold the game card of Mario Kart 7, you can always download it for 40 dollars. Expand
  55. Nov 17, 2012
    No more to be said ! Like always Mario Kart is always enjoyable and fun to play ! Since the SNES version to the 3DS and hopefully soon in HD on the Wii U !!
  56. Nov 9, 2012
    Awesome, Mario Kart as always is the best kart gaming of all! And now it has the online mode, and it is fluid, and very funny! I loved! It's definitely a must buy!
  57. Aug 19, 2012
    Simple Mario Kart fun :) But with amazing graphics for a handheld and some great new courses! What more could you ask for? Underwater and flying isn't all that it's hyped up to be, because it's just a virtual experience-- but hey! It's new and awesome!
  58. Aug 18, 2012
    Another solid entry into the mairo kart series. This entry's newest features include underwater and air gliding segments of races, and able to customize you kart body, wheels, glider, and as always, character. There aren't as many characters this time around though, only 17. Online is great, it would just be better if there was a leader board. The 3d looks nice, and the gameplay is tight. Overall a great game for your 3ds library. Expand
  59. Aug 7, 2012
    Frustrating and disappointing, Marion kart DS was much better.
    However, graphics and on-line are great.
    But: -the VS mode has been removed, -no missions -glider customization is totally useless -no speed...
  60. Aug 4, 2012
    I appreciate that they tried to change it up with the seventh Mario Kart instalment. The addition of flying and driving underwater is great; it adds something new to the series, but allows the game to still feel like the same Mario Kart that people love. I think the underwater driving could have been implemented a bit better into the game, and some of the levels were a bit disappointing to me, but I still enjoyed the game. Online is also good. 8/10 Expand
  61. Jul 19, 2012
    It's hard not to like this game. The levels are well done (and taken from all the other mario karts to date) and all of the races are fun to play hundreds of times with different shortcuts and tricks to each map. It's very entertaining gameplay long after you know the course like the back of your hand. That's a hard feat to keep something interesting after you've raced it to death over and over, but Nintendo definitely achieved that goal. There is a ton of unlockables, and an excellent multiplayer design on top of the time it will take you to win all the races in single player with a 3-star gold cup achievement. Even then, you'll get a whole new challenge unlocked in the mirror mode. The few side games included in the package are somewhat entertaining too, although I didn't really enjoy them personally and don't plan to spend any more time in them. I think I will enjoy hopping online for a race or try and beat the fastest times in the player ghost races for a long time to come. Expand
  62. Jul 4, 2012
    Mario Kart 7 is a very good 3ds game with a lot of content. It is an absolout must have! The small character roster and same extra game modes(balloon battle & coin runners) keep this from being a 10. If they would of just added two more modes and a few more characters it would of been a perfect ten. Overall this is a must have.
  63. NSM
    Jul 2, 2012
    This game is amazing! Everything about it is perfect! If you liked past mario karts, you will love this one! The new tracks and old tracks are great. The character roster isn't the best, but characters like Toad, Shy Guy, and Wiggler are cool. New Items like the Tanooki Leaf and the Lucky 7 make the game even more fun! You can now customize your car and can make it to fit your needs. Multiplayer is the best, so I'd recommend playing with people locally or online. Expand
  64. Jun 16, 2012
    Mario Kart 7 is another must have title for the 3DS. They all feel the same, I know, but it's a game that really benefits a lot and fun to play during your traveling time. For once though, the rubber band AI is slightly 'toned down'; a more hardcore experience for the fans (and still accessible for casual gamers as well)
  65. Jun 9, 2012
    A very solid version of Mario Kart and currently one of my favorite 3DS games. I really enjoy the variety of characters and kart components. I also really like the online play. It is very easy to get into some good matches with some random people. The community mode is interesting but I haven't had much success with it. I can't really fault Mario Kart for that but more that 3DS players aren't as abundant as Nintendo probably would have hoped. With Mario Kart and the other new releases like Heroes of Ruin and Kid Icarus hopefully it will become more popular and make the community mode more relevant.

Single player mode is great though and excellent for casual gaming. I strongly recommend picking up this game and it definitely makes having a 3DS worthwhile.
  66. May 29, 2012
    This is, without a doubt, the best Mario Kart so far. It would've been absolutely perfect on a console, so let's hope the next Mario Kart for the Wii U (Or whatever they'll name it) will be as good, or even better.
    Smooth, yet tight controlls, fun items and above average CP AI. Even the online gameplay works wonderfully!
  67. May 5, 2012
    A fantastic game, like all Mario Kart games! But there is a lack of content, no Waluigi, and the computer f--king cheats like there's no tomorrow. On the plus side there is a really fun on-line mode, cart customization, and mind-blowing graphics and 3D effect.
  68. Apr 28, 2012
    Excellent example of how a well known game title is not just milked, but also improved every port / new version again.

But guys, remember: If you give it a ten now, what should the next mario kart Wii-U get? There's no 11 or 12 to be given here...
  69. Apr 16, 2012
    Kart racing at it's best! the 3d works flawlessly and the sheer amount of content is awesome!

but the best part is the multiplayer... which makes this game constantly challenging (when you're not racing against someone on the buggy Wuhu track to be a dirty, shameless cheater.) can't give this game a perfect score because of the bugged track(s.) otherwise, if you are looking for a racing
    game that's fun, frantic and will keep you coming back for more, this is the game you've been looking for. Expand
  70. Apr 12, 2012
    Mario kart 7 is an incredible kart racing game, (Mario kart started off the genre) possibly the best out of all of them! It's got very good graphics, awesome music, loads of things to do, great multi-player, impressive 3D and terrific game-play.
  71. Apr 11, 2012
    So good as always. This time with one 3D effect that it favors, very good graphs and new ideas that make it the Nintendo's indispensable one Nintendo 3DS.
  72. Mar 27, 2012
    The king of kart racers returns for another victory lap... warts and all. While retaining everything which made it such a beloved series, Kart 7 has also failed to address a number of gripes which fans of the franchise have been making for years. Lack of customisation? Check. Not enough tracks? Check. Dreaded blue shell? Check. It's all back for another fun, but flawed outing.
  73. Mar 24, 2012
    The newest entry of Mario Kart is definitely fun with some glaring faults. There is no mission mode this time around which is a real shame. Single player consists of grand prix, time trial, and battle. Grand prix has eight cups with four having new courses and the rest with old tracks. Time trial has yourself trying to beat your own times with an option to race ghosts. Battle mode is a disappointment. There are only six tracks with coin battle being broken since once you have ten coins, you can't grab any more. This makes you just run away for the rest of the race. The main reason you would want this game is for the multiplayer. The online is flawless with a constant sixty frames per second. There is also no snaking anymore which is a huge plus. If you are a Mario Kart fan, you owe yourself to to purchase this fun experience for the 3DS. Expand
  74. Mar 23, 2012
    While i was fairly disappointed by the exclusion of the bikes (MKW) and the Missions (MKDS).. Mario Kart 7 new mechanics makes the game somewhat funnier than the others!... Is Still the same fun game that i always enjoy. I've spend 100+ hours on it, and i'm not bored of it!... The Online is so great and functional!
  75. Mar 20, 2012
    Absolutely the best Mario Kart ever on a handheld. It's the first time I've felt like I'm getting a console quality experience on a handheld. Having said that, the menus are bland and plain.
  76. Mar 17, 2012
    Mario Kart 7 is one of the best games in series. Everything in the Mario Kart formula has been improved and there are also some new additions. There are many ways to enjoy Mario Kart 7, you can race alone, race with a friend in local multiplayer or head online and vs up to 8 players from around the world. There are great new additions. You an now customize your kart. There are gliders, different types of wheel and a big selection or karts. The customization could of been a bit deeper but still works well. The 3D graphics are great but playing in 2D is best. The new gyroscope controls are innovative but the classic controls are best. Mario Kart 7 is a great game and is another must have title for the 3DS Expand
  77. Mar 9, 2012
    Good points: -Fun gameplay -Fun online, provided you don't get disconnected often like I do... -Good replayability -Kart customisation -Different game modes. Grand Prix, Vs Race, Time trial, Coin battle, Balloon battle. -Land, sea, air. You can be driving one minute and the next underwater with a propellor or gliding through the air. Bad points: -Blue shells got EVEN MORE annoying. Now they run along the road taking out people who aren't even in first.
    -Rubber banding: Doesn't matter how skilled you are, they will always catch up. Some may call this fun, I call it a pain in the arse. When combined with homing shells, this can mean the difference between a clear win and coming in last. Seriously, I've been bombarded on the last race of a grand prix 10 meters before the finish line by 3 different CPU opponents and ended up coming next to last.
    -Glitches. There are a couple of known glitches in races at the moment meaning what could have been your favourite track is now your worst nightmare. Nintendo are NOT patching this in order to "keep things fair for early adopters vs. newcomers." The game won't be going down in price any time soon so you might as well grab it if you plan on buying it.
  78. Mar 8, 2012
    An overall worthy entry to the long running kart franchise however like Super Mario 3D land, it is far too easy and everything can be locked in a short amount of time. Nevertheless the track are amazing both old and new, a slightly disappointing roster this time round but amazing online play knocks up the fun and replay ability!
  79. Mar 7, 2012
    Mario Kart 7 is a complete overhaul of the franchise, while still being the familiar Mario Kart we know and love. The graphics are astounding, featuring full 60 fps, and neatly polished look, add new characters, items, and improved online and you have one hell of a Mario Kart
  80. Feb 29, 2012
    Mario Kart 7 is quite possibly the best Mario Kart game yet! All of the tracks are great fun, with some I can see being all time classic tracks in the future. There is a lot to do in the game but it's lacking the mission mode from Mario Kart DS. All in all I'd say the gameplay is brilliant and is the best I've seen in a Mario Kart game to date, the items are reasonably well balanced (they've improved the Blue Shell this time!) although the two new items seem a little pointless, I'm sure nobody actually hates them. Now, the inclusion of gliding is very good and I really hope it stays, it feels as though it has been pulled straight from Pilotwings 3D! the underwater sections don't really add a lot to the overall experience, but I wouldn't complain if they ever returned. The ONLY problem with this game is its character roster, it doesn't feel like it has enough, 17 in all, and its missing a couple of Mario Kart essential characters (WALUIGI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Baby Mario), don't get me wrong, the characters that are there are all good (yes, I don't mind the Honey Queen or Metal Mario) but it's just oddly missing the two characters I've already mentioned. And for that reason Mario Kart 7 is on about the same level of awesomeness as Wii, but 7 probably just edges it in fairness. If you own a 3DS, buy Mario Kart, it's one of those games that you'll still be playing a few years down the line, it won't disappoint! Expand
  81. Feb 27, 2012
    - Le manque de nouveautés ?

Il est vrai quâ
  82. Feb 24, 2012
    So i picked up a game called Mario Kart 7. First of all, i'm one of those guys who - of all Mario Kart games - liked Mario Kart 64 the most. I'm not a big fan of Mario Kart Wii, nor Mario Kart Double Dash (worst MK-Game in my eyes). Mario Kart DS was ok, but not at the same level Mario Kart 64 was back in the days. I'm sayin all that stuff to show that i was very sceptical at the beginning about this game. I seen the Trailers and the new stuff and thought that it could only go two ways: (A) Be very dissapointing OR (B) A welcomed upgrade to a legendary Kart racing game that made my childhood very entertaining when wheather wasn't the greatest and i had to stay at home. After several hours of playing this game i decided it was (B). The game has what made Mario Kart 64 so popular and didn't take stuff into the game that made other Mario Kart games terrible. It's the best Mario Kart in my opinion. So... jeah, i know i said Mario Kart 64 was the legend of all Mario Karts but this game is even better. My initial scepsis about the new stuff like cruisin' under water or flying in the air dissapeared really fast and transformed into the point that this is the stuff that makes this game so special and adorable. Another thing i noticed are some "balance" changes.

In Mario Kart DS it was possible to drive past the courses like a snake to get infinite boosts and even though u didn't drive the shortest possible route, u was faster than your opponents because u was always on that boost-mode. Asians were the most common guys to play like this. Mario Kart 7 cut that corner. It's not possible any more. Drifting is still a big part about this game, but its not faster to drive on a straight route like an S looks and be faster than a guy who just takes the shortest possible way. Conclusion: The graphics look sharp, the animations are great, the new items make sense and last but not least the courses are beautiful and great to play on. Hell yeah, even the hated "Rainbow Boulevard" isn't such a dissapointing route like it was on Mario Kart Wii. This game is the best Mario Kart u can get for money and the online mode is working very well too. To be honest i can't even think about a single bad thing in this game.

Thanks Ninetndo, you brought the game back to a guy who thought the series died after Mario Kart 64.
  83. Feb 22, 2012
    Best racing game for the 3ds! It has a massive replay value because it's a competitive racing game even in single player mode (talk about time trials) and most of all because of the online features such as online multiplayer, battle, time trial records, etc.
  84. Feb 21, 2012
    First off I just wanna say the game's graphics are amazing and are equally comparable to the Wii's (not like any system isn't though, right?) The Gameplay is enhanced from Mario Kart DS with the Circle Pad. The only negatives I find with this game are how useless/hard to use the online communities are, the lack of numerous battle stages (-looks at the sky- NINTENDO!!), stupendously boring battle, and lack of missions, single player vs. mode, etc. from Mario Kart DS and other Mario Kart Games. Overall, this game is amazing and is probably one of the best yet. However, Nintendo lacked in making this more of single player experience and overdid it on the multiplayer. Next time Nintendo... MAKE BALANCE XD

8/10 :)
  85. Feb 15, 2012
    i really love this album!!! it is very fun and i just love playing and doing this game. i love the 3D in it, I was happy to death when i got this game and i hope you guys like it as much as I do. I am not a serious critic, but this game is really fun and I would NOT criticize it.
  86. Feb 14, 2012
    Still same old fun. Nice graphics, the personalization of karts is cool, and the 3 or 4 new track design (sectors instead of laps) is a really cool thing ! Online multiplayer is really well done (althought I wished we could race more than 8...). I have 2 complaints that refrein me from giving MK7 a 10 : the solo cups are way too easy at 50 and 100 CC; and the lack of a Challenge mode like in the DS version is unforgivable. All in all, its a must own for any 3DS gamer. Oh and by the way, the 1rst person **** view is a nice attemps, but hummm...No....Sorry it doesn't fit in the Mario Kart series. Expand
  87. Feb 14, 2012
    Yet another must get for the 3DS. Levels are fun and immersible environments. The races, especially the upper classes, are challenging. This game is too much fun too look past. You can play Vs, Battle, and even GRAND-PRIX mode via download play which is always addicting. The overall competitiveness has died-down now that snaking is harder(for you competitive players). Also online play via Nintendo wi-fi has been a bit of a problem for me, i can never get a match, but that's probably because my internet provider is to blame. Great game, fun, ;pretty, smooth, enjoyable, any other words synonymous with these. Expand
  88. Feb 13, 2012
    This game is great, although not a good as the DS version. The loss of Missions make this game not as good, plus the underwater sections make the game not as fun though. The character roster was not as good, but still pretty good. What was better were most of the courses, the Flying sections, and the online play. Street pass and Spot pass add to this giving you ghost to play against.
  89. Feb 12, 2012
    Well, i actually thought all the rumors about this game being best in the series was true. MKW was bad and i thought this was going to redeem it. But no, this is just as bad. Here are some pros and cons

Pros: Kart customization, Better online and communities, some great tracks like Neo Bowser City, better retro courses, blue shell problem is fixed (It used to be 3-5 a race in MKW, now
    it's 1-3)

Cons: The Fireflower item which is very unfair and you get it around 2nd place. Very small and tight courses. The Maka Wuhu glitch that noobs do online. Very short Rainbow Road. 100cc isn't needed unless you want gold wheels. Bad characters, don't even try doing the first 3 retro courses on 150cc. And a lot more item abuse than MKW.

Overall it's good if you don't mind getting unfairly beaten on your last lap.
  90. Feb 11, 2012
    A decent Mario Kart. It's not the best in the series, but, people will enjoy customizing their karts, driving underwater, and gliding through the air just to get that trophy waiting for them at the finish line. But, the thing that really pisses me off the fact that you can get hit with ANY shells in the air. Come on, really, it's bad enough that they do this on ground level, but, now they can do it in the air too? Expand
  91. Feb 6, 2012
    this games is really fun as a single player game with fun and inventive courses however the game shines in online mode and the 3d is a nice touch and a must have for the 3ds
  92. Feb 5, 2012
    Addictive Online play combined with refined and perfectly tuned gameplay make this a must have. It is easy to play but impossible to master meaning anyone can love it.
  93. Feb 3, 2012
    Although a seasoned player can easily get through all the cups in a day, Mario Kart 7 is a great game, and among the best in the 3DS lineup. I have to say, I've played several Mario karts and they just don't seem to change much in almost anyway. It's honestly like Call of Duty. You can't wait to see the new graphics, or the new roster or the new amazing courses they have set up for you. Honestly, it's a love it or hate it type of thing. If you like the formula and you just want new maps and racers, then this game will more than satisfy you. On the other hand, if you think each Mario Kart is too similar and you think it's become a bore, then you should probably pass. That being said, I would like to just say what I like and dislike about the game. First off, I love the graphics and controls. At first, the driving feels a bit weird, but once you get used to it, you'll be zipping through the maps with ease. I also love the gliding and the underwater parts on each map. They make it more dynamic and more atmospheric. The game is colorful and bright but also dark in some areas as well. I also found that the 16 old maps are actually revamped and some even seem like totally different maps. The 16 new maps are amazing, my favorite being Rock Rock Mountain or Wario Shipyard. There are 32 maps, and all of them are fun to play on. The multiplayer is rock solid as well. It's fleshed out pretty well and there's almost no lag to worry about. The things I dislike are the AI and that goddamn blue shell. The AI in 150cc are pretty difficult to overcome and the blue shell almost always hits me on the last lap. These are old problems that Mario Kart fans should come to terms with however. Overall, it's a great racing game, with a decent roster, really fun courses, solid online multiplayer and good graphics. I recommend this to any 3DS owner who likes Mario Kart remotely. Expand
  94. Feb 2, 2012
    Mario Kart 7 isn't as good as I thought it would be but it is still a great Mario Kart game. It's a blast playing with friends, the graphics are pretty, the 3D is great and the tracks are nice. But the big let down of the game for me is there's barely any content. There's less content in this game than in Mario Kart DS. The removed the ability to add an emblem to your kart, they left out the single player missions and mot of the tracks are old ones. If I wanted to play old tracks I'd play the old Mario Kart games. It just feels lazy. I do however like how they added the ability to customize your kart. That's a really neat feature but they don't quite explain how you unlock different parts well. It's also pretty nice to just go into the water to drive or glide across the skies. It feels different which is neat, but there should've been more of these segments in my opinion. Overall, despite my disappointment with somethings I think anybody with a 3DS should but this game. It's really fun to play with friends, the online has improved from the DS counterpart and the 3D is well done. Expand
  95. Jan 27, 2012
    This is the second best Mario Kart game to date (Mario Kart 64 is still the best). The wide selection of new and retro tracks are teeming with details, and the 3D really brings the game to life. Also innovating for the franchise is customizable karts; something I hope Nintendo will do for future Mario Kart titles. The only reason this doesn't get a 10 is because it's not completely flawless: CPU attacks can feel frustratingly cheap and collecting coins to unlock more parts for karts takes a tad too long. Expand
  96. Jan 23, 2012
    This is probably the best game in the series thus far. Mario Kart 7 makes full use of the 3DS's new abilities, such as complete 3D depth, stereo sound, gyro controls, and the wi-fi racing, not to mention this game's overall great track design and other stuff like that. I like the new characters introduced, especially. The picking of the retro tracks was well-done as well, although there are always still a few I wish they didn't choose. Its online multiplayer is great except for the fact that everyone keeps spamming this certain glitch on one of the courses. The ability to customize car parts is a big innovation, and so are the gliders, underwater driving, and first-person view. Like Mario Kart Wii, you can also tilt the 3DS using gyro controls to move the kart when you have first-person view enabled. Overall, Mario Kart 7 is a near-perfect game and I would recommend it to anyone who owns a 3DS. Expand
  97. Jan 23, 2012
    This is probably going to be a tradition of mine. Whenever there is a new Nintendo handheld console, I would probably always get a Mario Kart game and Mario Kart 7 is the first 3DS game I've ever got my hands on. Being the successor to Mario Kart DS, the best if not, one of the best Mario Kart games ever, consider me a bit disappointed. Mario Kart 7 is a good game by all means but it's a a step down from Mario Kart DS. Let's talk about the good things first. The gameplay is still as solid as any Mario Kart game, you can now customize your own kart, the track selection is excellent, they fixed the rubberband AI from Mario Kart Wii (thank god) and the multiplayer is as good or maybe even better than Mario Kart Wii's multiplayer. The big problem with this game is the content. Mario Kart DS' biggest high point was the high amounts of content it offered and being a generation ahead of MKDS, Mario Kart 7 should've done more and it's the same story all over again with the content issues of New Super Mario Bros. Wii where Nintendo are just being damn lazy. To be fair, I guess I'm judging this game by the standards of what made Mario Kart DS so perfect but MKDS was a generation behind and Mario Kart 7 is in a brand new generation. It needs to be bigger, it needs something new and it needs to have more than its predecessors offered. Gliding and going under water is not going big, Nintendo. Overall, it's still a solid Mario Kart game but for the love of god, try harder Nintendo. Expand
  98. Jan 17, 2012
    Wow, I'm thoroughly impressed! Although this is just another Mario Kart, I got a lot more than what I was expecting! The multiplayer ability really makes the game, It's so nice to just jump onto this game and play a bit of online after I get off xbox. The replay value of this game is ridiculously high, I found myself coming back for more and more. I have to give it a 9 though, only because of the fact that the menu interface could have been done better. For anyone who's a fan of the Mario series, do yourself a favor and pick this game up! Expand
  99. Jan 17, 2012
    This is simply the most fun and best mario kart game because it has the best graphics, its in 3D and now you can use an analog stick AND its portable.

The online feature the best aswell!
  100. Dec 4, 2011
    I have played every Mario Kart title to date and this one has the best online multiplayer yet. In fact it has the best multiplayer of any Nintendo published title to date, in my opinion. The communities feature is a really nice touch. I would have given it a 10/10 if not for the requirement of friend codes. The tracks are a great mix of old and new and the ghost data obtained through StreetPass is a great use of the feature. Now if only they did something about those friend codes.... Collapse

1. Feb 14, 2012
    It's not doing anything revolutionary on it's own, but serves the loyal audience with the best offering Nintendo can muster – and that's pretty good indeed.
  2. Feb 6, 2012
    Unless you are a big Mario Kart-fan, this game might not be worthbuying. By all means, it's fun the way only Mario Kart can be, itlooks more stunning than ever before and if you need new tracks it caneasily offer hours of entertainment. But Nintendo must have made this game on autopilot.
    Arcade racing game cooked by well-tried foolproof recipe entertains you most of the time but there are a few frustrating moments too. [Christmas 2011]