6.2

1. Dec 25, 2013
    Mario Party Island Tour lacks any depth or fun the originals had. The boards are short, and no skill is involved in playing this game. It is all luck that will lead you to win. The story of the game is non existing. Mini Games only last for a few seconds at most usually. Very disappointed in this long awaited title for the 3ds. Try again Nintendo
  2. Dec 30, 2013
    "There's always something new to explore on the Party Islands." If you have played this game, you'll fall over laughing. True, the boards and extras are good, but that's pretty much it. The worst part is Bowser Tower. Bowser turns the sky purple, which is even lamer than kidnapping Peach, and all you do is play mini games.
  3. Nov 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mario Party: Island Tour isn't perfect, as is any Mario Party game, but I feel like it stands up to its console competitors. The minigames are fun, the boards are unique, and the multiplayer is amazing. The only downside is Bowser's Tower. It ultimately sullied my single-player experience as I found out that it doesn't really end. I have climbed the tower seven times now, and each time I find my character, Toad, being trolled by Bowser, saying that the Bowser I defeated was a decoy, and then punching me off the tower. It gets very annoying, and I have yet to see a definite storyline or a plausible ending. Maybe if I use a different character? If someone has a way to see a different ending, do tell me.

Overall, Mario Party: Island Tour is charming, fun, and a very good time to be had. Too bad Bowser had to ruin it from being the best handheld installment. 8.75/10
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    I usually encourage Nintendo to try new things, but the past 2 Mario Party games have been dreadful. They don't even offer to have the old school mode, its like Mario Party 9 but worse, its literally boring, don't buy it.
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    Mario Party: Island Tour is pretty good, but does have some issues. First, the single player mode is kinda boring. The boards on this game is fun, but the music is a little lack. Also, the minigames aren't that great unless your playing with a friend. I was looking forward to this game, but was sorda disappointed. Its an okay game, but doesn't have many flaws. With me, scoring a 7.
  6. Jan 19, 2014
    All of the boards are extremely short. All the minigames are free-for-all style. The game doesn't have an online mode. All the major features you'd want in a Mario Party game on the 3DS are not in this game.
  7. Feb 16, 2014
    The party is over. Mario Party Island Tour is a boring and that's the problem because it depends wholly on multiplayer and if there's none then it fails.
  8. Dec 27, 2013
    I do like the unique boards, but some could of been better if they were longer. Most of the minigames are simple but fun, and Bowser's tower is a good way to kill of 30 minutes. Seeing as this game was on a handheld console, I wasn't expecting it to be that great so I wasn't disappointed, but if you buy it make sure to have some friends to play it with you.
  9. Nov 22, 2013
    I just bought Mario Party: Island Tour today. I'm enjoying it for the most part. The game is good, but it suffers in a few areas, including it's main gameplay. The boards are okay, but there a bit pointless because they end too quickly. That being said, I think the items used on some of the boards were fun. For minigames, most are fun, but some are a bit boring. If you haven't played this game yet, I won't spoil anything else. I recommend it. Expand
  10. Nov 23, 2013
    Being very on the fence about this purchase.. overall I'm happy that I did. Mario Party brings fun and variety that you would expect from any Mario Party game.

It has the same (and usually frustrating) luck-based opportunities that are present in most any board or Mario Party game... and that is to be expected.

Single player fun is limited at best it start's off interesting... but
    boredom can set in rather quickly. About as much fun you could expect from virtually tossing dice and playing cheesy mini games against the computer.

However, the multiplayer is where this really shines... and Download Play option is incredible! Which means you only need one copy to play with any friends holding a 3DS. This is the reason I went with a purchase on the Nintendo e-Shop. To ALWAYS have the option to play with anyone you come across that has a 3DS work... school... family gatherings... or waiting in line at a midnight launch.

People talk about the boards, or the mini games... but really, it is Mario Party everything you know and would expect. Ultimately the amount of fun Mario Party Island Tour will bring you is based upon the crowd you choose to play the game with.
  11. Nov 28, 2013
    Mario Party Island Tour is an OK game. this game could be a lot better. Nintendo you rushed this game for sure I know this is not on a console but there is no excuse. There is no online which is just stupid. 1 player mode is not that great and is very short. also do not buy this game unless you have 3 other friends. There is also not many characters only 10 with only 1 unlockable. I have almost all the Mario Party games and this game is in the middle. Nintendo stop trying to change Mario Party they are getting worse keep it like the old ones. The mini games are fun for the most part but some are boring. I hope the next Mario Party is a lot better with some bigger improvements. Expand
  12. Jan 21, 2014
    It is a very good game! Better (by like 100 points) than Link between worlds! It has creative board rules and fun minigames that MP 9 introduced. But MP 8 is the best.
  13. Dec 3, 2013
    the single player mode is kinda boring. The boards on this game is fun, but the music is a little lack. Also, the minigames aren't that great unless your playing with a friend. I was looking forward to this game.
  14. Feb 13, 2014
    This game brought nothing new to the table. It just seemed like Nintendo had some extra time and made a new game. It did not focus enough on the mini games, and there were not enough unlockables.
  15. Nov 23, 2013
    Downloaded this game from the eshop at launch and immediately played 5 matches with a couple of friends, these matches were quite fun. Though I kinda feel luck and not skill play way to big a role in many of the minigames we played. While I've not seen them all yet, a number of them basically come down to Russian roulette.
    Tried some single player during my commute home and it seemed
    kinda lacking, though I only spent an hour in Bowser's Tower.
    Since only one person needs a copy of the game it makes a great pickup if you know 4 people who will be willing to play this game with you. Otherwise this game seems kinda like. I wonder how many reviewers played it as a 4 player game.)
  16. Jan 12, 2014
    I don't understand why everyone is hating so much on Mario Party: Island Tour. This is not a bad game people, and I will briefly explain to you (below) some good things that make this a good game. It's not perfect, and it will have its faults, but I feel that the goods of the game are stronger than that of the faults.

The Good: The minigames. Packed with 80 minigames, which has been one
    of the highest of the series, we can tell that nintendo isn't messing around with the minigames that they want us to play. To be honest, most of the minigames in the past have been pretty luck-based, but for once, the % of minigames that actually require some skill are included. Even though some minigames are ridiculously short, they're still a really small burst of fun and can be played multiple times. I have found my self stuck playing a few minigames (like tanks a lot) for more than 15 minutes in one go, either with Master AI or my family members or friends. The amount of fun and rage that you get from playing locally with people you know is just one of the best things that Mario Party games can deliver. I can see myself coming back to this game over the next few years playing those addictingly fun minigames with buds. The next great thing about Mario Party: Island Tour is its PHENOMENAL 3D effect. Assuming you have access to the 3D slider, you can see an incredible amount of depth and detail on the screen when turning up that slider. I swear, the graphics sometimes even look better with 3D on than off (main menu for example). The high amount of boards is also a great part of the mario party package, but that isn't one of the best features of the game (why is what you'll see later). Another interesting thing is Bowser's Tower (which is the main single player adventure/story you're aiming to beat). Its good features are that you get to play all the minigames, and usually 1 of the 2 choices are skill based and you have a chance at clearing it. Another good thing (and nostalgic) is that you battle bosses every 5 floors, and nearly every single one of them brings you back to the good times, such as the same characters in SM64, NSMB, and more! The final boss's minigame is quite enjoyable and has some pleasuring music.

The Neutral: There isn't too much "neutral" in this game. It was typically a hit or miss for certain categories, but there was 1 or 2 things that I thought could've been improved a bit. Music is definitely one of those mixed parts of the game. It has some great tracks, such as some of the boards and boss battles, but other tracks like the songs in the minigames, and other tracks here and there are not as good as the ones mentioned earlier. Other than that, I could probably say that the character roster could have been expanded to 12 or 16.

The Bad: There are bad things, as most mario parties do have bad things about them. Let's go through a few of those bad things now ~ I'll state it in one short list: Boards are TOO short & luck based, collectable count is WAY too low, and the single player adventure is TOO weak. Boards are so short, that I could probably beat them in 3 to 6 moves. Some, like the rainbow road, are way too luck based, as the winner of the first minigame has been basically guaranteed the win. Collectable count is probably the biggest bummer for me, as I really was disappointed that all you could unlock were the music tracks (which were nice) and voice bubbles. If you had MPDS, then you would remember board items, badges, and other nice things that helped extend replayability by a large amount. I feel like the single player adventure is a bit weak because there is only one thing to do, and after clearing it (30 floors), you sorta lose the urge to continue to go up again. (as you can play those same boss minigames in free play after the first run), other than that, there isn't much to do other than playing the minigames w/ AI or friends/family.

Overall: I feel like this game has absolutely phenomenal minigames (some of the best in the series), but is dribbled down a bit with each small problem, including weak boards, weak single player adventure, and lack of collectables. The good minigames and fun played w/ others is one thing though, that cannot be gotten from many other games out there today. To be honest, I usually buy the mario party games for the minigames - not the boards, so hearing that the boards sucked, I wasn't really TOO unhappy about that. Knowing that I can have fun with a bunch of other people with one card only is also one thing that makes my day and this game basically the best local-multiplayer game on the 3DS!

Gameplay: 9/10
    Story: 6/10
    Music: 6/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 8.5/10
    Overall: 8/10
  17. Dec 1, 2013
    Very fun. goes by faster than the last Mario Party DS games, but the graphics and mini games are amazing. Though i wish that it lasted longer and there was a plot, there are many fun worlds to play in and all different goals. i say it is a tie between this game and the last Mario Party DS game.
  18. Jan 9, 2014
    I don't get the hate for the Mario party games, i'm actually kind of a fan of them. They might not be as good as the Super Mario Galaxy games but they are still a lot of fun, especially with a lot of people playing with you. This Mario Party title succeeds at what I wanted good new mini games and a added multiplier that is a great add on. It is a improvement on Mario Party DS.
  19. Feb 4, 2014
    Maybe the minigames aren't the most creative but its fun to play with friends! The story isn't the main point of Mario parties anyways so no need to complain about that. The only reason this isn't a ten is because there is no regular party mode with stars and coins.
  20. Jan 19, 2014
    Mario Party has always revolved around luck to an extent, but this game takes it to another level. This game makes Mario Party 8 look good, and will bore you in minutes. Starting off, the Mario Party series have never really offered a whole lot of content, but they kept gamers at bay, and also had a playable story mode. Not only is Island Tour the first Mario Party to not have a story mode, but the only thing close to it is the ridiculously easy minigame tower. Almost every single board in this game follows the concept that "Whoever gets to the end first wins!" and quite literally involve no skill and solely luck. Some boards last about 10 minutes and they did bring back mini stars, but screwed up at it by making the mini star stage full out luck (I got first on 90% of the mini games but still came in 4th). Mario Party's main selling point are the addictive minigames. Im not gonna lie, the mini games are pretty good but the only other modes beside free play are the usual step it up and time attack. Lastly, if you are looking for an original soundtrack, most of the music is ported from Mario Party 9. It's such a shame that a highly hyped game turned out like this. Even a hardcore Mp fan can skip this title. Expand
  21. Mar 23, 2014
    Mario Party: Island Tour is an enjoyable game, but I find it based too much on luck. The minigames are somewhat short and are not Nintendo quality. The boards are short and stray too far away from the classic Mario Party experience. I was hoping Nintendo would make Island Tour a classic Mario Party game where you collect stars and coins but they decided to change that again and make something totally different and in my opinion, not as good. For the next Mario Party game, Nintendo should go back and make a proper Mario Party game. I probably wouldn't mind if they released some DLC for Island Tour with a more classic Mario Party board. I would totally buy that! The sound effects and music are also the same ones from Mario Party 9 so if you've played that game before, you'll get tired of the same sound effects and music quickly. This Mario Party game also seems to give too many hints and tutorials (ex. Yellow Toad talks to you and gives you hints every turn). Overall, Mario Party: Island Tour is not a bad game but is not what I was expecting from a Nintendo Mario Party game. It is good for a good pick-up-and-play and does have some fun minigames. Expand
  22. Mar 25, 2014
    I'm not sure why everyone is taking a poop on this game. Its quite fun both solo AND multi-player. Its BEST is against friends but the solo game play isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
  23. Mar 27, 2014
    If your looking for the funnest Mario Party this could be the best decision but keep in mind it's no longer the same formula as one through eight and that could really hurt it but it doesn't the game feels fresh and the controls are well put together similar to Mario Party 9. This time around Mario and the crew set off to party across 7 different unique boards each having it's own set of rules with one of them needing at least three human players to play which isn't that fair considering not all of us have family or friends with a 3ds. Party mode isn't the only mode there is to play there's also the "story"mode where you climb up a tower defeating bubble clones Bowser created to advance to the next floor. Another mode is Mini-game mode which is like the previous games there's free-play, time-attack,and Hot air jinx where the first player to get there hot air balloon to the top is declared the winner.On the other hand the mini-games are beautiful probably the best up to date. It's not the traditional Mario Party you grew up with but it's worth a shot. That being said I'm giving Mario Party Island tour a 9/10 Expand

1. Apr 13, 2014
    Nintendo is a master at finding a specific target audience and offer them exactly what they want, sometimes even with a little less quality than usual. Mario Party: Island Tour does just that, speaking to the more casual audience among the owners of Nintendo 3DS.
  2. Feb 16, 2014
    A very slow party game. The majority of the mini games are well done and easy to learn and play, but all the waiting time is killing the pace and joy of playing. A group of players could have some fun, but if you're playing alone - stay away.
    There’s little reason to pick up the latest Mario Party. While it has plenty of personality, the majority of the experience is so thin that it struggles to keep your attention.