6.7

1. Jul 27, 2012
    Mario Tennis Open has great pick up and play gameplay. The rapid succesion of powerful shots make tennis a hell of a lot more thrilling than in reality. This is reinforced with Mario specific trinkets and powerups that keep the game pulsing consistently. The locations are decent too, with a lovely SMG themed court with the infectious music to boot. However, not everything feelsMario Tennis Open has great pick up and play gameplay. The rapid succesion of powerful shots make tennis a hell of a lot more thrilling than in reality. This is reinforced with Mario specific trinkets and powerups that keep the game pulsing consistently. The locations are decent too, with a lovely SMG themed court with the infectious music to boot. However, not everything feels imaginatively incorporated. Most courts look generic with primary colours giving way to more generic tennis court environments. Also the absence of customisation beyond your Mii downplays the imaginative vibes the game gives off. I suppose the days of Bowser dressing in a Mario T-shirt with Toad Slippers are yet to come. Also the same powers are used by every player, with no specific powers for individual characters. Modes are also meagre, though these convey the pick up and play appeal. None of these issues detract from the core experience though, as Mario Tennis Open is still fast and plenty of fun to enjoy alone or with friends via multiplayer and Streetpass. Expand
  2. Apr 26, 2013
    This game is a disgrace to previous Mario Tennis games. It does not deserve the Mario tennis title. I've played all the previous iterations. The best were the GBA and GBC versions. (I haven't forgotten the N64 or GC versions which were great in their own way but this is the handheld version.)

The handheld games had exhibition modes, story mode, and bunch of mini-games. The most fun was the long story mode. You went to a tennis academy and started out as a noob. As you worked your way up the ranks you leveled up and could decide what stats you wanted to improve. All of that is gone in this game. I mean seriously, even the GC version had a story.

There is pretty much only one mode in this game, exhibition. This is a Mario cart version of tennis. It's boring and I'm very disappointed. They also added some stupid chance shots which takes all the skill and fun away from the game. Doesn't matter what character you use, they are all generic now. You win by luck. This is a just a cash grab and cheap way to use the 3D feature of the 3DS. No story mode, no academy, no stats, no building your own character, no world to explore with characters to talk to and secrets to unlock. It gets boring really fast since you have nothing to keep you going.

Like I said, very disappointed with this game. This is just my opinion though since I loved the previous tennis games. This review is for everyone who is wondering about buying it for these elements. Don't buy it. If you haven't played the previous games and don't really care, then I would rate this a 6/10. As a fan, the game is a 2/10. It's the tennis game from wii sports with Mario avatars and a new lucky shot element.
  3. May 26, 2012
    this game had no concept and was lousy for not using playcoins why should this even be out I do not like it it is to hard to control this is very boring
  4. May 26, 2012
    Great game, I quote here marioisawsome on "beautiful graphics, great music, good gameplay, great extras, good online, and amazing extras" BUT the game really lacks the old RPG mode on GBC or something that you can play for the long run. Despite that, this is a Mario game after all, and you can feel all the charisma and magic from Nintendo, making this a really good game with the onlyGreat game, I quote here marioisawsome on "beautiful graphics, great music, good gameplay, great extras, good online, and amazing extras" BUT the game really lacks the old RPG mode on GBC or something that you can play for the long run. Despite that, this is a Mario game after all, and you can feel all the charisma and magic from Nintendo, making this a really good game with the only problem of its length (which depends on how much you like repeating the same cups, having friends to play with and the online). Expand
  5. May 31, 2012
    Well I was very sceptical about picking this game up after some of the comments its received, but all I can say is I'm so glad I took the gamble. The game starts off very very easy and gets harder with each of the 8 tournaments (4 to start and 4 unlockable). There are also 4 extra character's to unlock (bringing the roster to 20), and the Yoshi hunt to collect different coloured Yoshi's,Well I was very sceptical about picking this game up after some of the comments its received, but all I can say is I'm so glad I took the gamble. The game starts off very very easy and gets harder with each of the 8 tournaments (4 to start and 4 unlockable). There are also 4 extra character's to unlock (bringing the roster to 20), and the Yoshi hunt to collect different coloured Yoshi's, all with their own strengths & weaknesses. There is one major key factor to Mario Tennis Open, and that is that its Fun (with a capital 'F') to play. It's a great pick up and play game, and for me, its that that sets to top marking. In short, it looks looks good, it plays good and its FUN! If you enjoyed the previous games in the series, go for it and make your own mind up, I'm sure you will get a buzz out of it. Expand
  6. Aug 8, 2012
    i feel people are being far to harsh to this game, don't trust the critics as it seems like they only played it a couple of days. I've had the game over a month now and i'm still playing everyday online, it plays like the n64 game which i loved , i will admit if you don't have online it would get boring really fast , but if your online this one could last you years, the amount of tacticsi feel people are being far to harsh to this game, don't trust the critics as it seems like they only played it a couple of days. I've had the game over a month now and i'm still playing everyday online, it plays like the n64 game which i loved , i will admit if you don't have online it would get boring really fast , but if your online this one could last you years, the amount of tactics you have to go through to beat the best is serious stuff.
    overall if your online 10/10 if your not online and don't have friends to play skip it as the single player is only a load tournaments 5/10.
  7. May 29, 2012
    By all means this is a great tennis game.... is it a great mario tennis game however? No

It was rushed and there is a lack of uniqueness which is disappointing.
  8. May 21, 2012
    The mario tennis games once again delivers with beautiful graphics, great music, good gameplay, great extras, good online, and amazing extras so you need to get this game if your a 3ds owner or even if you don't have along with 3d land or mk7 all amazing.
  9. Jun 3, 2012
    The game itself was rather surprising. It looked decent in previews, but the actual gameplay was pretty good. The most surprising was the graphics to be honest. I hadn't seen the capabilities of the 3DS until this game. Now compared to the previous version (which I was obsessed with to say the least) it didn't really fully live up to it. The power shots was a large improvement, but theThe game itself was rather surprising. It looked decent in previews, but the actual gameplay was pretty good. The most surprising was the graphics to be honest. I hadn't seen the capabilities of the 3DS until this game. Now compared to the previous version (which I was obsessed with to say the least) it didn't really fully live up to it. The power shots was a large improvement, but the removal of specials was disappointing. Most of all was the lack of characters. Removing characters is never a good plan. Although the Personalization was very enjoyable, it made it more fun. The internet gameplay is awful. There is a second or two delay that happens in every game that I can't stand. The mini games were really lacking. I enjoyed the ones in the previous game, and it had a good replay value, but this- was just boring. The tournament was very easy and finishing singles in one day is very possible, unfortunately. The creativity in stages was nice though, I just wish there were more, and day progression like the previous game. Overall:
    Graphics 8/10
    Gameplay 7/10
    Mini games 4/10
    Internet gameplay 0/10
    Replay Value 5/10
    Stages 9/10
  10. May 26, 2012
    Two of the previous Mario Tennis titles (the GBA one and the GC one) are firmly on my list over the 50 best games of all time. That should give you an idea of how much I love this series, and how much I was looking forward to playing this game. But sadly, this is the biggest Nintendo disappointment I've had since Wave Race: Blue Storm. The only thing you really need to know about this gameTwo of the previous Mario Tennis titles (the GBA one and the GC one) are firmly on my list over the 50 best games of all time. That should give you an idea of how much I love this series, and how much I was looking forward to playing this game. But sadly, this is the biggest Nintendo disappointment I've had since Wave Race: Blue Storm. The only thing you really need to know about this game is that the players are randomly dealt super shots. So-called "chance areas" pop up randomly on the court, and if you stand in that circle when hitting the ball, you'll pull off a super shot. So every match I've played both offline and online has pretty much been a game of luck, where the person who gets the smash shot first wins that point. It's more about hoping you get the right areas before your opponent does, than about actually setting up your own shots with skill. And it ruins the game for me. Now, there are som redeeming qualities about the game. For example, the mini games are alright. And collecting better gear is quite addictive since you really notice the difference when you've made a big upgrade. You need to actually play the game in order to unlock them, though. And playing the game just isn't that much fun. Mario Tennis just went from Mario Kart competition, to Mario Party competition. And as long as you care about winning, it won't be much fun at all. You'll just become irritated when your opponent gets his/hers third smash circle in a row, while you get nothing. And when you're the one getting the smash circle, winning isn't satisfying since you know it's just luck and random chance. Mario Tennis Open is a huge disappointment, for sure. Expand
  11. Jun 2, 2012
    Yeah, Mario in every year Nintendo must create new games. Mario was popular 20 years ago bun not now. Now it's normal game for portable device and for playing in boring time
  12. Jun 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Grabbing the game I was still a little bit discouraged. I had to trade in a couple games at the time so I was hoping it would be worth it. By the end of that day I had finished a few tournaments with a few different characters. The controls were really simple and the use of the touch screen is really useful too! After beating the 4 main tournaments, you gain use of the character you used, as a Star Player. It basically means you get invited to play in the new other 4 Tournaments that are quite hard. You can even take the star characters you unlock to play online with. The game itself has a nice chunk of content if you seek it out. There are many items to unlock which include your Arm Band, Shirt/Shorts, Racket, and Shoes. Or if you'd like, their are costumes to unlock as well that fully outfit your Mii. If your playing and get bored of it fast, its not for you and just skip on to the next game. When I set my eyes finally to the online play with just a few pieces of gear unlocked, I had a blast! It was different from the main game itself since you are playing with other people who give way more of a challenge than any A.I could. You come across many unique players with their own set of items that make them look different, and also make them play differently. This game mainly focuses on online play hence why their is no Story line or anything. Mini Games unlock the bonus characters but they are a really exciting way to practice, and learn new ways to overcome your opponent. Full of content, Great online play, Simple controls. If you have the chance or games to trade in, I would say give this a shot and enjoy the online! Expand
  13. Jun 17, 2012
    Let me say this right away: Mario Tennis Open is Mario Power Tennis in handheld form. But in a lot of ways, that's not too bad. Mario Power Tennis was in my opinion a genuinely good Mario sports game, and all the good stuff has carried over - the controls and gameplay are pretty much exactly the same (which is to say incredibly solid), and the graphical and musical presentation is asLet me say this right away: Mario Tennis Open is Mario Power Tennis in handheld form. But in a lot of ways, that's not too bad. Mario Power Tennis was in my opinion a genuinely good Mario sports game, and all the good stuff has carried over - the controls and gameplay are pretty much exactly the same (which is to say incredibly solid), and the graphical and musical presentation is as charming and engaging as ever. The annoying, time-stopping power shots are gone, replaced by a "chance shot" system, which occasionally places markers on the court which you can stand in to give your shots a bit of extra power. It's actually a lot more fun than it sounds, and adds some strategy and surprises to a sport that is otherwise fairly mundane in video game form.

That said, Mario Tennis Open doesn't escape the bitter truth: It's still just tennis. There is no storyline like in the GameBoy Advance iteration, and unlike the Mario Strikers games (which I adored for their twisted take on football) there is nothing that sets this game aside as truly unique or even particularly interesting. Mario Power Tennis suffered the same problem on GameCube, but I'd say it's actually *worse* in this game, thanks to there being made little effort to make the experience varied. You've got your standard tournament mode and exhibition matches, both available in singles and doubles mode, as well as some minigames. There are eight courts, but their only differences are how much the ball bounces and how fast it goes, which isn't really that noticeable in-game. The only one that stands out is one that changes surface properties whenever a chance shot bounces on it, but again this has no particular effect on gameplay. The character selection is incredibly boring - it's just your standard selection of Mario characters, and a fairly meager selection at that, with just four unlockable characters, none of whom are interesting. They have to be unlocked through minigames; all you get from playing tournaments are some clothing items for your Mii, which gives a lousy sense of progression.

As a result, the game grows stale very fast. You can only play so much of the exact same match on the exact same courts against the exact same small selection of characters using the exact same chance shots (yes, even they become boring eventually) before you want nothing more to do with the game. It doesn't help that the final four cups (out of eight) can only be accessed by characters with which you've beat the first four, which arbitrarily forced me to keep playing Boo forever. It didn't even take me two days to feel like I'd done everything worthwhile in the game. It should be mentioned, though, that the minigames are pretty good, though they probably won't take up a lot of your time.

To add insult to injury, the difficulty curve is not at all balanced. I don't consider myself a fantastic player, yet I beat all eight singles cups without losing a single set, and only reaching a tiebreaker once (which is what happens when you and your opponent reach a score of 2-2 games in a set). Doubles tournaments, on the other hand, end up being balanced against you because your partner is a complete imbecile most of the time.

Oh, and there's local multiplayer and online, I guess I should mention that. I'm unable to test the former, however I did test the latter. I had a fairly unenjoyable and extremely laggy experience, though I guess I can't speak for everyone.

In the end, Mario Tennis Open is a decent game, but absolutely nothing more. While its mechanics are great, this iteration detracts more from the core gameplay than it adds, and as a result it won't last you long enough to be worth the full retail price. It saddens me that a game with such potential has met such a pointless fate.
  14. NSM
    Jul 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mario Tennis Open is a great game, that brings you back to the original 64 version, while adding new twists to make it its own, unique game. The controls are great, but can be frustrating for some people. Unlocking items for you Mii character can be fun, and allows lots of customization, but can take a while to get what you want. The character roster, is great, although they left out some classic player like Shy Guy, Wiggler, and Petey, MTO has great new additions, like Luma and Dry Bowser. By scanning QR codes you can get even more characters, such as Black Yoshi or Metal Mario. I would have rather seen more unique characters instead of these recolors, but I'm fine with using Luma anyway. This game is for you, if you enjoy the Mario Tennis games, online play, and customization. Expand
  15. Jul 23, 2012
    Nintendo's latest entry in the mario tennis is quite disappointing. the game is very light on content, i feel that nintendo made the gameplay a little to simplistic for experienced players, but very welcoming no newbies. but overtime the game gets way too repetitive due to the lack of extra game modes.
  16. Nov 17, 2012
    I really really don't understand why this game has a such low score. The game is perfectly fine, what else did you expect from a game based on Tennis ? Such a game has a lot of boundaries. The NGC version was less fun with the super attacks u were able to use. It now comes all together to some good old tennis (like the N64 version) !!

One DOWN side, but not enough to take one point out,

One DOWN side, but not enough to take one point out, is the incredibly bad way of connecting with friends over the internet. The rest is fine and easy to use !!!! Thanks Nintendo (and Camelot) !!
  17. Dec 28, 2012
    [FR] Mario Tennis Open et superbe au niveau de Nitendo . C'est un superbe jeux , qui permet au fan de tennis de jouer avec beaucoup de plaisir sur se mario tennis. En plus de cela on peux modifier son personnage grace aux items debloqués a acheter sur la boutique , Et qu'on peux equiper a son personnage pour le mode multijoueur ou Solo . En plus de cela sur le mode solo il y a[FR] Mario Tennis Open et superbe au niveau de Nitendo . C'est un superbe jeux , qui permet au fan de tennis de jouer avec beaucoup de plaisir sur se mario tennis. En plus de cela on peux modifier son personnage grace aux items debloqués a acheter sur la boutique , Et qu'on peux equiper a son personnage pour le mode multijoueur ou Solo . En plus de cela sur le mode solo il y a des tournois , Sa rapelle mario aux jeux olympiques. Le mode multijoueur est superbe se qui permet de jouer a 4.
    Lien d'une video demo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRBPoVJKhs
    Donc : 10/10 :) !
  18. Jan 12, 2014
    There aren't that many things that are bad about this game in the first place. This is a tennis game, and only a tennis game. Tennis is a game of skill, but sometimes there are times you get lucky. This game may get opponents slightly lucky and you frustrated, but there are many techniques you should learn to stop it. Many people here didn't experience all the characters on the roster andThere aren't that many things that are bad about this game in the first place. This is a tennis game, and only a tennis game. Tennis is a game of skill, but sometimes there are times you get lucky. This game may get opponents slightly lucky and you frustrated, but there are many techniques you should learn to stop it. Many people here didn't experience all the characters on the roster and find out which one fits them the best. I use the boo, as its spin can reject and trick every AI/Online enemy I meet as they try to slam shot me. slamming is not as OP as the people in the other reviews say. If they do that sort of thing to you, all you need to do is to press r and get it back, assuming your reaction is good enough. There are 8 cups, giving you about 3 or more hours of tournament, but the need for making more characters a star character(beat #4), getting new things for the clubroom, and special games greatly extends the game's gameplay hours to any time you'd want. I currently have 23 hours from just playing. Unfortunately, there is one problem with the online, as not many people aren't online playing, you may have a hard time finding a match!

Gameplay: 9/10
    Story: N/A
    Music: 8/10
    Presentation: 8/10
    Length: 8.5/10
    Overall: 8/10
  19. Apr 30, 2013
    Mario Tennis has really cool hits like smashes, drop shots, lobs and spin shots. King Boo Boo can teleport around the court which I think is unfair and he is hard to beat. You get to play really cool mini-games. There is a shop and you can unlock things like new tennis racquets, clothing, shoes and wristbands and also costumes. Costumes are the hardest to unlock. There are extra trophiesMario Tennis has really cool hits like smashes, drop shots, lobs and spin shots. King Boo Boo can teleport around the court which I think is unfair and he is hard to beat. You get to play really cool mini-games. There is a shop and you can unlock things like new tennis racquets, clothing, shoes and wristbands and also costumes. Costumes are the hardest to unlock. There are extra trophies you can win. Expand
  20. Jul 21, 2014
    A fun, reasonably challenging tennis game. Looks and sounds good, though I expected a court-level point-of-view and depth of field as seen in the seminal Virtual Boy title "Mario's Tennis"; the 3D here is a bit disappointing by comparison. I wouldn't mind seeing more Nintendo characters in future installments, "Smash Bros."-style.
  21. Jul 21, 2013
    It's not THAT bad of a game. Sure, the controls are a little rusty, but it's still another enjoyable Mario sports game, and the online almost always works.
  22. Jul 28, 2013
    Nice graphic, gameplay and sound. But the character roster is a bad joke. First Rosalina got replaced by a luma, and that's pretty ridiculous. Second, the terrible 'DLC'. These 'extra characters' are just re-textured characters like Metal Mario and tons of Yoshi recolors. There are also some problems with online multiplayer and so on.

Okay for Mario/Tennis fans but a bad choice for

Okay for Mario/Tennis fans but a bad choice for players that search games with a GOOD character roster.
  23. Feb 2, 2014
    I adored the GBC-Version of Mario Tennis and gave this one a try. The game looks really good and the actual gameplay feels like the N64 Version. You can unlock some additional Nintendo characters and you can buy new gear for your Mii, who is a playable character, too.
    Since there is no story-mode like in the GBC-Version (which was so perfect and made it one of my favourite GBC games), you will quickly find the singleplayer boring. You can play Single or Double with an AI-controlled partner. Additionally, there are some minigames in which you can earn coins. These coins are needed to buy some equipment for your Mii. I found myself relatively early having unlocked all cool unlockables and quickly loosing the fun of completing each tournament with each character.

So far it sounds quite disappointing, but the game's true strength is its multiplayer. First, it features Download play, which I totally love. Second, online multiplayer is quite ok, too (as long as you don't try to play with your friends). Sadly you can only play Tiebreaks, there.

I wouldn't give much points for the singleplayer experience but the multiplayer kind of saves the game in my opinion. Still, there could be much more cool unlockables, modes, courts, and characters (the roster is quite big, but there are a lot of different coloured Yoshis, wow!). The music is mostly some reworked stuff from the GBC title, which is kind of boring. I would have liked something new.
  24. Mar 27, 2014
    Screw the critics.... With this game's wonderful characters, amazing graphics, loads of content, and visual appeal, I can safetly say this is the best tennis game I have ever played! And is the best of all Mario Sports, if not the 2nd. 9.5/10
  25. Oct 18, 2014
    Why all the hate? Yes, it doesn't bring anything relevantly new to the mix. Yes, unlocking content with minigame-earned coins can be bothersome, but it's completely optional, that means: don't like it? Don't use it. Still, this game plays very similarly to the N64 and GC versions and there's nothing really wrong or broken about the game. So, if you liked the N64/GC games, and you want toWhy all the hate? Yes, it doesn't bring anything relevantly new to the mix. Yes, unlocking content with minigame-earned coins can be bothersome, but it's completely optional, that means: don't like it? Don't use it. Still, this game plays very similarly to the N64 and GC versions and there's nothing really wrong or broken about the game. So, if you liked the N64/GC games, and you want to have a Mario Tennis to play on the go, go for it. The bad reviews help keeping the price tag down anyways, so for around 20 bucks it's a steal. Expand
  26. Nov 17, 2012

One DOWN side, but not enough to take one point out,

1. Aug 3, 2012
    A somewhat simplified version of earlier games of the series. There are some fun mini games and unlockables, but overall there's distinct a lack of content. And where is is the challenge?
  2. Aug 2, 2012
    Mario Tennis Open feels a bit lifeless at first, simply because it doesn't give any other incentive for playing than to keep unlocking things and to just play more tennis.
    Seemingly average tennis arcade shows up as a perfectly playable and highly addictive, especially in multiplayer mode. [July 2012]