Metroid Prime: Federation Force 3DS

5.1

1. Aug 19, 2016
    Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a true masterpiece of the FPS Genre, and expands the Metroid universe with a gripping narrative that leaves you hooked till the last mission
  2. Sep 6, 2016
    6 years of waiting and this has been worth it, my wife and I actually play it together and it is amazing fun, it is fast, fun and has some nice little puzzles in it. I know that a lot of fans expected more of the original but this is a breath of fresh air as far as FPS goes. Well done Nintendo, you did not let me down.
  3. Sep 1, 2016
    When did gamers become such whiny little b$#&hes? There is in fact nothing wrong with this game. It looks like Metroid, it sounds like Metroid, it plays like Metroid. This is a Metroid game. It's not a masterpiece like the Prime Trilogy games, but it's a great spin-off. Much like Tri Force Heroes is to the Zelda games. Get over it.
  4. Aug 30, 2016
    Pretty fantastic addition to the metroid universe. I mean, come on. Samus can't be the only one out their taking down alien scum right?
    Super easy to pick up and play and the Co-op gives it a totally different experience . A much less lonely and isolated feel.
    Try it out for yourself. Don't let mine or any other review away you. It you like Metroid and games then you will most likely enjoy this entry into the Metroid universe.
  5. Sep 6, 2016
    OK.........this may not be the title everyone was expecting but I have played the campaign and Federation Force is a damn good game. Amazing controls and lots of nods towards the Metroid Prime universe. This is what I call a 'Double A' release. It's definitely Metroid Prime and feels like it but it's not the main 'cannon'/ a side story existing within the same universe. Don't worry guys,OK.........this may not be the title everyone was expecting but I have played the campaign and Federation Force is a damn good game. Amazing controls and lots of nods towards the Metroid Prime universe. This is what I call a 'Double A' release. It's definitely Metroid Prime and feels like it but it's not the main 'cannon'/ a side story existing within the same universe. Don't worry guys, there will be a fully fledged 'triple A' Metroid coming on the NX. Just give it time.

In terms of play it's surprisingly deep and tense. I am a fan.
  6. Sep 28, 2016
    Great game on Single Player,even better on multiplayer.I came into this with low expectations because of all the hate,and I was blown away.8/10 for single player,and 9/10 for multiplayer.
  7. Aug 22, 2016
    Wow. The hate for this is so annoying. Just because you didn't get the Metroid game YOU wanted, stop abusing the score by spiking it with a ZERO score, just because you didn't get your way (just like an entitled whiney toddler)

This game, from the creators of the great LUIGI'S MANSION 2, is fantastic. It is everything you want in a Metroid game (yes, even Samus is in it. In cuts scenes, AND, you can play as Samus if you scan her Amiibo into the system - which you greatly benefit from, as she will give you 10 missiles vs the standard 3!). It has exploration, architectural puzzles, backtracking, and, some damn fine combat.

Is the game hard? Hell yes it is. It's Demon Souls hard at times. However, as you play a level again and again (and having fun doing so), you truly do get better, especially as you gain mods and expansions that help your character get stronger.

Single player is worth the price alone. Mission 13, 14, WOW. Though the online is a game in itself, and, if you feel the heat in a certain level (14 talking to u!), go online, and beat the hell out of those wretched bosses!). THEN, you get Blast Ball! Think soccer with guns! Thats a $10 game in itself.

Folks, trust me on this: this is a polished, beautifully made, deep deep big game that will give you well over 25 hours of play. Lots of objectives, medal, strong replay value. The controls take a little getting used to, however, once you learn them, you get even better (yes, in sense, this game would have benefited from console/bigger controllers, though, I feel, a big console Metroid is coming to NX in 2017, so, Nintendo gave us something a little different, like Tri Force Heroes last year, to tide over until the big console game comes out)

IGNORE THE HATERS. People scoring this a ZERO simply have not played the game. I mean, if the game is not your cup of tea, fine. Though to score a game a ZERO with such love, polish, great gameplay, as Meroid Federation Force, shows ANGER, HATE, not an honest score.

I felt compelled to post this review because of the utter shock and dismay of the hate and lies being spread on this game. If you like great gaming, give this a try.
  8. Aug 19, 2016
    Now, I know what you are probably thinking: "This isn't a Metroid game! Automatic 2 out of 10!" But to be honest, this game isn't as bad as you might think. Give it a try, you might like it!
  9. Aug 23, 2016
    Upon seeing the initial trailer of Federation Force (FF) I was enraged like many other fans of the series. As time went on though I realized that I needed to not let my being a fan of the series get in the way of a fair review. With that said I decided to try and stay neutral about the game, its art style, and mechanics. Now it is August and I have finally gotten my hands on FF. I'll beUpon seeing the initial trailer of Federation Force (FF) I was enraged like many other fans of the series. As time went on though I realized that I needed to not let my being a fan of the series get in the way of a fair review. With that said I decided to try and stay neutral about the game, its art style, and mechanics. Now it is August and I have finally gotten my hands on FF. I'll be putting this review into several categories to judge the quality of the title. These categories are Atmosphere (graphics, artsyle, and sound effects,) Controls (3DS and New 3DS versions,) story (includes characters, and lore,) and replay ability. No bias for or against FF. These are the rules I put on myself for every review so that I am as fair as possible.

The graphics in FF are cartoon like to put it bluntly. Your characters are Chibi like in appearance and the game has a more vibrant color palette than any other Metroid game before it. However, being that Federation Force is a first person shooter with very smooth online capabilities and a solid framerate for a 3DS game, it is evident that the brighter and more simplistic art style actually compliments the game. Don't be fooled by YouTube's poor quality of its videos. FF looks great on 3DS. The 3D effects are some of the best on the handheld too, allowing the player to get a feel as though they are behind the an actual visor. The only thing I personally would have preferred is for the marines inside the mechs to have a more humanlike appearance. However what is most important is the art within the game's world. There are multiple times that you will come across ancients ruins or old Galactic Federation outposts. There is quite a bit of detail in them that make the world feel a bit more alive. As for the sound in the game, I think that the effects sound good whether it be the sound effects of a blaster bolt, to the delightful roar of an Ice Titan. The only negative I have for this game is the lack of any really memorable music. However, I will acknowledge that the theme for hard mode is easily the most badass theme in the game, on par with the classic Super Metroid theme. So graphically and artistically Federation Force gets my seal of approval. I wish there were a bit more memorable music scores, however the atmosphere we get from the sound in general makes the game good in the sound department as well.

Obviously though, you are going to be having good reason to want to know the the controls are. I tried both the 3DS and New 3DS versions of the game's controls, and I must say I prefer the use of the c stick far more than the use of the gyroscope. When walking around in the normal setup, you feel like you are driving a big tank, similar to the control scheme of Resident Evil 4. It would have been nice to have seen the option to use the stylus to move the camera, however that didn't stop me from enjoying the use of the c stick's nearly flawless controls. Luckily the game features a lock on feature, the problem is that some enemies can easily dodge your shots. This is where FF brings in a brilliant idea from Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, the ability to move your reticle while locked onto an opponent. It make the game so much easier when you are trying to dispatch and enemy quickly with a headshot. If you don't have a New 3DS, I recommend buying a circle pad pro for this game.

Like most other games in the series, the story for FF is very simple and straight forward. You are basically a new marine in the Federation Force and are being sent on missions in the Bermuda system to test out the mechs the Galactic Federation has made for the marines. By the 3rd mission you discover the space pirates are in the Bermuda system too and you must stop their different schemes as you and the Federation Force slowly discover a plot to wipe out the Galactic Federation with what is basically a Death Star. However there is more to the story than that. You can find little bits of lore throughout the game when you find certain computers in the different levels. You learn of the ancient race of Bion and how they became giants in size, as well as find old Federation battleships which crash onto the cold planet of Excelcion. The lore isn't quite as extensive as the Prime games, however it was nice to read.

Replay ability is definitely there. There are tons of mods to discover that allow for a multitude of ways of fighting. Each mission gives you medals based on your score and whether you complete certain objectives, some of which are very difficult in single player. These medals allow you to carry more mods, equipment and (best of all) unlock new paint jobs. Beating the main story treats you to a nice end credits cutscene to Metroid Prime 4, gives you a new paint job that admittedly looks pretty badass, a new mod that increases movement speed and attack power, and the option to play the aforementioned hard mode. There is also blast ball and the ability to play co op.

Difficult, but worth the $40
  10. Sep 5, 2016
    Finally got my copy of Metroid Prime Federation force. A good game and I mean it. A rare FPS on the the 3ds, I don't know why by the way...Apart for Moon chronicles (that I do not own) and some other 10 years-old FPS games on the original DS. By far, Federation force offer better controls than its previous Metroid prime hunters. Remember? Also: different mood, different challenges,Finally got my copy of Metroid Prime Federation force. A good game and I mean it. A rare FPS on the the 3ds, I don't know why by the way...Apart for Moon chronicles (that I do not own) and some other 10 years-old FPS games on the original DS. By far, Federation force offer better controls than its previous Metroid prime hunters. Remember? Also: different mood, different challenges, different everything... It's a spin-off guys so get over it and you will probably enjoy the game has its own value. You have at least to give it a try. I do understand how sad it is for the fans of the series that Nintendo do not to listen to their gamers, but in my own book,MPFF is a completetly different game than the previous Metroid games. And it's not a bad thing at all. The biggest problem of the game is probably the lack of check point. I guess we'll have to wait until the NX for a Metroid Prime 4. Can't wait! Cheers Expand
  11. Aug 20, 2016
    Pretty fun shooting/adventure game especially online. Good customization options and variety in missions. BlastBall mode isn't as good as the main mode but I guess it's nice to have.
  12. Aug 19, 2016
    Is amazing game, expand the metroid universe and this a new perspective of the metroid games, the gamaply es perfect like a metrodis prime gc !the mini game blast ball its really fun random items factos is like a party games mario kart , smash etc.
  13. Aug 21, 2016
    It's a great game that doesn't get the credit it deserves. Too many people are upset it isnt the style game they want so they leave harsh reviews. It's a great game that focuses on team work and a multiplayer experience. I have been playing this game since day 1 and I really enjoy it! I highly recommend getting the game and experiencing the online play for yourself!
  14. Aug 19, 2016
    Yet another game judged by what people want it to be rather than what it is. A great and fun shooter set in the Metroid universe. People ask Nintendo for new ideas and then cry about getting them.
  15. Aug 20, 2016
    So far this game has been awesome. Ive been enjoying the exploring, customization, shooting, weapon mods, solo, and even online multiplayer. Game is a little tough, but im getting better the more i play.
  16. Aug 19, 2016
    Hello there and thank you for taking the time to read this review. Metroid Prime Federation force didnt come out of the gate with the best welcoming. Many of the fans, were understandably upset after the vast exploration of the original metroid games were not included here. Also the fact that the last main series metroid game was the love it or hate it "Other M". However I ask that youHello there and thank you for taking the time to read this review. Metroid Prime Federation force didnt come out of the gate with the best welcoming. Many of the fans, were understandably upset after the vast exploration of the original metroid games were not included here. Also the fact that the last main series metroid game was the love it or hate it "Other M". However I ask that you judge the game for what it is not what you wanted it to be. If you took off the "Metroid Prime" logo, you would still have a solid game. The mechanics are fine tuned for a great solo player experience, but it is designed for friends. And boy did my friends and I have fun playing it. Think of an OVerwatch kind of team composition, with final fantasy tactics or monster hunter type components. You have your healer your tank your defense your aggression and alot of missions, and no two missions are alike. This game is well done wand worth the 40$ if youre willing to put aside the fact its a spin off metriod game Expand
  17. Aug 19, 2016
    Metroid Prime Federation force is a really fun game to play with friends and others. The game game has a good enough plot and it does fit within the metroid universe.
  18. Sep 19, 2016
    It is truly sad and pitiful to see how self-entitled and whiny people can be. But behind all the hate and backlash is a true 3DS gem, I'll say it's not prefect, but it's a great game in its own right and truly deserves to stand tall next to the rest of the Prime series games, not only for being a great 3DS fps co-op game, but also for expanding the Metroid Prime universe. It gets a 10/10It is truly sad and pitiful to see how self-entitled and whiny people can be. But behind all the hate and backlash is a true 3DS gem, I'll say it's not prefect, but it's a great game in its own right and truly deserves to stand tall next to the rest of the Prime series games, not only for being a great 3DS fps co-op game, but also for expanding the Metroid Prime universe. It gets a 10/10 from me, simply to even out the chaff from the wheat. If you have a 3DS, I highly recommend pick this one up, pick up a circle pad pro while you're at 3DSXL users. Expand
  19. Aug 19, 2016
    Federation Force is perfect Spin-Off of the Metroid, Grafics Awosome and Gameplay icrlible, is GOTY of the year, this game is digino of the Metroid, i like this game.
  20. Aug 20, 2016
    I feel as if I have to put in a review to counter all the clearly biased posts from 'fans' of the franchise. It's a bit of a shame that I have to do so before I have completely experienced the game for myself, but it can't be helped. The game simply does not deserve a metacritic score lower than a 8. Seeing all of these 'reviews' slam the game purely for being a very non traditionalI feel as if I have to put in a review to counter all the clearly biased posts from 'fans' of the franchise. It's a bit of a shame that I have to do so before I have completely experienced the game for myself, but it can't be helped. The game simply does not deserve a metacritic score lower than a 8. Seeing all of these 'reviews' slam the game purely for being a very non traditional Metroid game is very frustrating to me. In my opinion, this game is great because it takes Metroid in an intriguing new direction while maintaining the classic mechanics of the Prime series.

To me, the game feels a bit less special than last year's Tri Force Heroes, which brought quality multiplayer to a genre that is not particularly known for it, but in many ways it is very much the superior game. The game runs smoothly, the 3D environments look impressive, and the levels feel big enough for four people to run around in and have genuine adventures together. And unlike Triforce Heroes, this game is completely fresh and new. It doesn't reuse assets and mechanics the way TFH did.

I feel like it's very common for critics who love the game to point out how this 'is' a Metroid Prime game, but I would like to draw attention to this fact (Not opinion, fact) one last time for the purposes of this review. The complaints that this looked 'nothing' like Metroid are unfounded. For long time fans such as myself, the game delivers in creating a quality multiplayer Metroid Prime experience. There are still hidden secrets to be found, giant bosses to fight, doors to shoot open, and planets to explore. The critics who dismiss it as 'not being a Prime game' clearly were only invested in the series because of the cutting edge visuals rather than the actual gameplay.

If you want cutting edge visuals, you can watch The Order 1886. But for those of us who love Metroid and want to learn more about the wider universe, Federation Force is the game for you.
  21. Sep 5, 2016
    I've never seen a game rated so low by critics and fans deserving more praise than this game... Metroid Prime Federation Force is among the best 3DS games I've ever played, and I've played most of the "best" 3DS games so far...

No, it's not as perfect as the first Metroid Prime, but about no game ever will. Heck, it doesn't even really feel like a Metroid game...but who cares? The game is excellent by itself. Haters got to understand it's impossible for game creators to make the same game over and over again... I totally respect the risks they've taken with this game, as I did few years ago with Metroid Other M. (although I think MPFF is even better...)

So far I'm almost done with the Solo campaign. It plays very well, no problem at all, I'm not even thinking about playing multiplayer mode. I was a bit afraid of the controls before trying the game but they are really great, not hard at all to get into. The pace is kinda slow a bit (you control a huge mech so...) you won't get the speed effect you had in previous Metroids, but the game is so fun, well-crafted and ingenious that, really it doesn't matter much...

As for the graphics, the apparently infamous "Chibi" art style, personnally I absolutely love them. I think it's perfect for smaller screens like the DS, and it's even a reason why I bought the game in the first place ; I toughed graphics looked great. If you don't like them, well, what can I say? your artistic tastes sucks and that's it.

So forget about all the bad critics and Metroid nostalgia and give this game a try. A true Classic in my opinion.
  22. Sep 3, 2016
    Independientemente del odio que se le tiene al título, a mi me ha gustado bastante, las misiones son divertidas tanto en cooperativo como en solitario, se sigue sintiendo la misma atmósfera que en los juegos de metroid prime clásicos, y francamente con la adición del multiplayer, se le da un toque bastante fresco a la serie, pues todas las misiones(al menos hasta donde voy) se pueden jugarIndependientemente del odio que se le tiene al título, a mi me ha gustado bastante, las misiones son divertidas tanto en cooperativo como en solitario, se sigue sintiendo la misma atmósfera que en los juegos de metroid prime clásicos, y francamente con la adición del multiplayer, se le da un toque bastante fresco a la serie, pues todas las misiones(al menos hasta donde voy) se pueden jugar con alguien más, si eres fan de metroid como yo, lo recomiendo totalmente y no te dejes llevar por las críticas negativas que seguro que la mitad de ellos ni siquiera se han dedicado bien al título Expand
  23. Aug 31, 2016
    it's a good game a very good spinoff i hate the trailer but the game is a very amusting game i hate the desing of the characters but it's one of the best cooperative game in nintendo 3ds
  24. Aug 31, 2016
    I really don't get all the hate here. It's a multiplayer metronidazole-spin-off game. If you play expecting it to be Metroid Prime 4 it surely will disappoint you. But it's NOT MP4. It's a great multiplayer FPS, barring Blast Ball, which is somewhat dull in comparison to the rest of the game.
  25. Sep 10, 2016
    Federation Force blew me away, it is amazing i already completed normal and hard mode and now working to get
    All of the medals. People who don't enjoy this game are just
    Metroid fans who want nothing different, just metroid games
    Whereas this great Fps game for the 3ds is the best. And proves
    The 3ds is saved again!
  26. Jan 21, 2017
    From the studio that brought us the amazing Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon! I absolutely love this game. Each mission is totally different and they are usually best completed with coordinated cooperation. My brother and I had a blast! It's possible to play by yourself but it's definitely best playing online with friends or strangers. There is lots of hidden loot and an upgrade system thatFrom the studio that brought us the amazing Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon! I absolutely love this game. Each mission is totally different and they are usually best completed with coordinated cooperation. My brother and I had a blast! It's possible to play by yourself but it's definitely best playing online with friends or strangers. There is lots of hidden loot and an upgrade system that will keep you coming back to the stages. And this game has the best online system of any Nintendo game (admittedly not much of an accomplishment). There is an actual lobby system and drop in/drop out multiplayer. The cartoony design is really fun and perfect for the hardware. My only gripe is the the movement is a little on the slow side but the side dash helps. Blastball is icing on the cake: A soccer FPS in the vein of Rocket League. Warning! It's a spin-off so don't get upset that you can't play as Samus. But she does make an appearance! Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 9, 2016
    Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a clear sign of Nintendo either not understanding or just not caring about what kind of games their player base wants. It’s a shame really, since Federation Force controls pretty well. It just has the burden of being a multiplayer shooter in a series no one wants to be about multiplayer shooters and on a platform no one wants to use for multiplayer games outside of Japan. [Nov 2016]
  2. Games Master UK
    Nov 9, 2016
    No classic, but no mess either. [Nov 2016, p.76]
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Oct 21, 2016
    Mission objectives are rarely limited to simple elimination of opposition: from the very beginning game presents tasks like luring animals into cages or infiltrating enemy base. Not to mention that there are tons of levers or buttons to be pushed and secret passages to be found, which brings back fond memories of FPS from the 90-s, as well as classic Metroid games. [Issue#213, p.56]