8.1

1. Mar 19, 2013
    Certainly not perfect, but still an amazing game. The graphics on the 3DS are outstanding, gameplay is fun and strategic, and there is an insane amount of content in this game. Crafting armor-pieces and weapons based on monsters is really fun, and I've never had this much fun grinding in a game. The grinding isn't even necessary, but it sure makes things easier. Monsters and equipment looks really cool, and they are both very unique design-wise. Bonus-features such as Streetpass also works well, and multiplayer is really enjoyable if you have some friends you can play local with.

My only complaints about the game is the lack of online, though the game was intended for the Japanese, where online isn't necessary, text being a bit hard to read on the 3DS though it looks good on the XL and the start, which is a bit slow. But don't let these things stop you, since the game is still excellent, and you'll have a lot of fun with it.

I recommend buying a Circle Pad Pro along with the game. You won't need it, but the controls becomes much better, and the Circle Pad Pro is still compatible with other software such as Resident Evil Revelations.
  2. Apr 6, 2013
    No online multiplayer. Underwhelming graphics. The need of a circle pad pro for a good experience. Not enough new content to justify the full price. We get the 3 ultimate when japan has 4. Super lazy devs. A pretty bad port and lack of online capabilities in 2013. Starts off slow and doesn't pick up. Has less content than portable 3rd.
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    My advice for this is to play the demo before buying it. Then play the demo again. Then again... then again. Because that's basically what the game is. Go out and kill a monster. Repeat. Ok, so that's the title of the game. It wouldn't be so bad if the monster hunting was fun. It is at first. But the controls are just too unresponsive even with the circle pad. I ended up going for sword and shield. I swing my sword but notice the monster is about to charge. I can block right? Well, not if the previous animation is still going. Need to roll out of danger? Not if the previous animation is still going. I can't understand why a game that requires you to watch for tells in a monsters attacks forces you to complete whatever action you started before allowing another. Try this with the bigger weapons that have longer animation frames for some real frustration. The underwater parts are more frustrating and lets just add a time limit on top so after nearly an hour of 4 players fighting a creature that keeps running off every 2 minutes and hiding randomly in one of the tiny linked arenas, and you lose anyway. Bought it, sold it. Expand
  4. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is loads of fun. I've already put more hours into it on the first day than it takes to complete certain games. Every weapon(There are 12 weapon types) feels like a completely different game, and each is fun. To add each fight feels different, even if it is the same monster 6 times in a row. This game is the most fun thing I've ever played.
  5. Mar 22, 2013
    Made an account just to rate the game, I'm in love. the gathering is addictive and feels productive and rewarding when you find exactly what you need. Hunting the big monsters is exhilarating. The controls feel tight and comfortable even without a circle pad pro. This game is exactly what i was looking for and i cant recommend it enough.
  6. Mar 19, 2013
    Impressed and addicted. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate marks my entry into the series. As a huge fan of Dark Souls, this game was highly recommended to me and I can see why. The first 5-6 hours are admittedly tiresome but the game really kicks off after that. The hunting is exhilarating and tactical while the crafting system is deep but not too complex. Honestly this game is a ton of fun and exactly the experience I've been missing on my portable console. The only major con to this game is the lack of online connectivity and so I deduct a point. Otherwise stellar gameplay and visuals make this one of the best 3DS experiences out there, right under Fire Emblem. Expand
  7. Mar 22, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has nearly double the content of its predecessor, so if you're hesitant to get this game because you spent ages on MH Tri, worry not. This game is hard to recommend to newcomers however, not because it's bad, but because it's niche and very intimidating. If you aren't willing to sink at least 20 hours into this game it may not be for you. Otherwise, veterans will have tons of enjoyment from this portable title, although the hunting experience is someone gimped by lack of online play. Expand
  8. Mar 19, 2013
    This is the best in the series compared to other Monster Hunter games. Monster Hunter Tri on Wii has 35 monsters and 7 types of weapons. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd has 60 monsters and 12 weapons types but was not released in the Us/Europe. Monster Hunter Ultimate has 73 monsters and 12 types of weapons. That is a lot of monsters to hunt along with plenty of weapons and armor to choose from. While the lack of online play is annoying, it is no reason to not pick up a 3ds copy. If you really want to play online then buy the Wii U version. The most surprising thing so far is the frame rate. It never drops and stays at a steady smooth flow regardless of how many monsters are on the screen. If you love Monster Hunter you will pick this up. Please watch videos and streams of people playing if you are debating to pick it up or a new comer. Do not base your purchase off the demo but rather use the demo as a learning tool to prepare yourself for the real Monster Hunt. Expand
  9. Mar 20, 2013
    It truly is a great game, but for a game that is based around an online multiplayer, the fact that it lacks such a thing, even though the hardware is there to make it possible, just shows how this is not a port worth buying. If you love single player only games, get it, if you;re looking for the online multiplayer the series is KNOWN FOR, then don't bother with this and just play the WiiU version.
  10. Mar 20, 2013
    This game has a huge amount of contact in a very small cartridge. The 3D effect is very good, and the game plays very well. The only minor complaints I can think of is the water controls take a bit of getting used to, and the text is a little blurry, but these don't detract at all from the gameplay. Also, I think it should be pointed out that MH is not KNOWN FOR it's online but for it's local multiplayer. I also believe online is also not a huge deal as people make it out to be. It is usually only fun if you have friends who play the game with you, and even then that can be done at home. Both versions of the game are good, and both are 10/10 for me. Expand
  11. Mar 22, 2013
    I found this game pretty boring. My friends and I got it the day of release and played it immediately. It started off okay, we all decided to play some single player missions for a bit, then head to multiplayer. After an hour of collecting items and very little monster hunting, I found this game to be a little boring. I asked my friends if it gets better later, and they said yeah, so I went on. So far I'm 20 hours in and I just can't take it anymore, the combat is rigid and slow and I'm pretty sure 18 of those hours are spent just farming items. The only good thing I found about this game was the arena. Here you are given equipment to take down a boss creature, now I found that fun, especially with friends, but that's just a small part of the game. I'm reading all these reviews saying how people bought a 3DS or a WiiU for this game, and I just don't get it. This is my own opinion though. Maybe it's the MMO-ish elements here, but I just don't care about doing the same mission 3 times just so I can get one item to make a weapon I want, that's where I had enough of the game and quit. Expand
  12. Mar 24, 2013
    Brilliant game only not a 10 because of no online multiplayer, but got to be one of the best 3ds games I have played graphics are great, sound is good and gameplay is where it is at it will grab you and won't want to let go. A masterpiece in handheld gaming. A must title for 3ds. Can't wait till mh 4
  13. Aug 11, 2013
    This game is frustrating as hell and everything in the game is explained very poorly. Expect to spend countless hours collecting rare items like bugs and plants just to use as bait to kill something else. The character dialog in the game is practically unreadable for some unknown reason (very dodgy font was used). The controls are very clunky and annoying as hell and you need a circle pad pro to play the game properly. Some quests involve many hours of looking through the same area over and over again in order to find an item that is required which is not fun at all.

Be warned this game is NOT for newcomers or people who don't like to run in and out of the same area a million times just to find a bug and when you do find it there's still only about 10% chance it will drop.

The graphics are also very blurry and low res unless you use the 3D effect which hurts my eyes after 5 minutes.

One last thing why is there no online multiplayer, a game like this is clearly designed as an online experience. If no one else that you know has the game I would strongly recommend not buying this.
  14. Apr 3, 2013
    Having played some of the previous versions I am impressed by the amount of content that has been added. The series was already expansive in game content and this new iteration proves that big can always be bigger. Still the same rewarding gathering, combo, quest system that keeps you coming back for more. The one downfall? This version only has local multiplayer. Other than that, a very immersive experience even in solo play. Expand
  15. Apr 11, 2013
    Best game ever, even tho it doesn thave multiplayer still really really good. Maybe thats because im also used to it cuz i used to play mh unite solo
    Still played 50hours rigth now and there is like 100 or more to go
  16. Apr 30, 2013
    Remake without online, that encourages you to buy a circle pad to properly play, with dated graphics... if you have a psp, you can play it for free, don't waste your money.
  17. Aug 9, 2013
    Don't waste your time, especially if you've never played a Monster Hunter game before. This game explains nothing well, and you will most likely be frustrated early and often. I've heard so many wonderful things about this game and in 10 hours of time spent with it I experienced none. Buy Fire Emblem instead, and thank me later.
  18. May 21, 2013
    Sorry, I know the game itself is great... but it controls like most of the time, I'm fighting the camera rather than the monsters. Sorry for the small review but It's all I have to say, didn't give the game a negative because the game is good, the camera is what ruins it.
  19. Sep 18, 2013
    A very good reason to buy a 3DS, then convince your friends to also buy a 3DS. Totally addictive, colourful, charming and well worth the price tag. Highly recommended
  20. May 18, 2014
    Blech. So much potential but it falls flat on its face. Annoying controls (I really don't want to have to buy an accessory just to make the controls semi-tolerable), slow and clunky (would expect an action game to be fast-paced), excruciatingly repetitive, frustrating (monsters run away and hide, gotta find them, oops out of time, try again!), graphics aren't sharp on 3DS, takes to long to accomplish anything worthwhile, etc etc. If you're really into hardcore games then try Dark Souls or something. At least that game has depth. MH3U is shallow. Expand
  21. Apr 25, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is a great game for the 3DS but between great and perfect is standing the controls of the game. Awesome game but the controls were really a shame
  22. Mar 28, 2013
    This game has more than 200 exhilerating quests, larger than life monsters, hundreds of armor and weapons.
  23. Sep 17, 2013
    Chances are you won't like this game. It requires patience and dedication that most gamers lack. Some negative reviews say that they didn't like that they had to work for their rare items but I know for a fact that they don't even know the half of it. But if you have the patience Monster Hunter is possibly one of the most fun and rewarding games you will ever play.
  24. Mar 27, 2013
    Not perfect, but very close. Engaging, thoughtful combat that forces you to think of your moves and prepare appropriately every time, and darn me if it isn't satisfying. No online play, and a pretty slow start are not enough to bog down the score. Fantastic, and local play is enough fun to make me forget about online play problems.
  25. Mar 22, 2013
    Let me just start by saying this, Monster Hunter is awesome. I bought the pack with the 3DS XL and I am very glad I did. This is certainly the definitive hand held version of monster hunter. The first game in the series I played was Freedom Unite on the PSP, at the time when I first tried it I was impressed by the game but did not have a lot of fun; which I find is the case when a lot of people first try the series. Long story short; I got killed a lot, didn't know how to go about farming materials which seemed to take forever and gave up.

I went back to the game a few weeks later and after reading a bit about the game had a lot of fun and spent countless hours playing it once I understood strategies to defeat creatures and places to acquire the items I needed.

What I am trying to say is if you try this game and don't like it for whatever reason, give it a chance. You can not learn how to play monster hunter is a few hours or days, try weeks and months. I have put in at least 100 hours between the PSP and the Vita and some of the creatures still kick my ass, but it is oh so satisfying when you take down one of those Bast...uh.. Massive Creatures ;)

This entry in the series does not disappoint, the gameplay is similar to the rest of the series and the controls are solid, especially with a circle pad pro. More creatures and Items than ever before means that this game is going to be very entertaining for quite a long time.

The Circle Pad Pro is a massive improvement to the camera controls so I definitely recommend getting one to play this game, It is playable without it, but trying to adjust the camera mid battle with the touch screen is difficult and can mean the difference between a dodge and death.

Graphics are good, but some anti-aliasing would have been nice, I suspect it was scrapped for performance reasons, but some objects are quite jaggy. Overall the are acceptable and comparable to most 3DS games, but don't expect the crispness of New Super Mario Bros.

Sound is good, slightly crackly occasionally on the XL, but this is due to the 3DS XL's speakers not the game.

If you are a Monster Hunter fan this game is a must buy. 10/10
  26. Mar 25, 2013
    This is a great game, but it doesn't suit the 3DS well enough. It's just not formatted for the platform. While I appreciate that they actually put it into 3D, it looks like they took the Wii version and scaled it so it would fit on the 3DS screen. It hurts my eyes trying to read the fuzzy text. The underwater controls are also very awkward. Moving the camera with the D-pad and moving your character with the circle pad at once doesn't work very well. Underwater, I need to move, and then attack. I can't do both at once, which is very tedious. It's also annoying that you need a Wii U to play online. I don't plan on getting a Wii U anytime soon. Other than that, it's a good game, but it looks like it still belongs on the Wii. If you already have the original version, it's probably best to wait for Monster Hunter 4 before you spend money on a new Monster Hunter game. Expand
  27. Jun 11, 2013
    This is a hard game to review due to the fact that it definitely is not for everybody. As for me I really enjoy it but like i said not everyone will. The main bulk of this game is farming materials lots and lots of materials. The way you do this is similar to harvesting in most MMORPG's you press a button u scramble on the floor you get a item rinse repeat. This sounds boring and sometimes it can be if you don't know where and when to find certain items. a lot of the items you find are also found on mobs. I really suggest a Wiki guide for this or a n00bs guide on you tube just to get you pointing in the right direction. Anyway killing mobs this is the other part of the game "its called monster hunter duh". You will also be doing this.... ALOT so this is where combat comes into play. At first it feels like nothing more than a hack and slash RPG but underneath what u think you know about the combat is a much deeper system. There is no leveling up you character in monster hunter 3 instead you level your gear and create you gear with all of the items it took you hours and hours to farm. Like i said not for everyone this sounds tedious but when you final get that bit of gear you were after and you put in all the hard work to get it it feels great. Ummmmm yer back to killing mobs i think i got sidetracked there i went on to talk about gear as fighting mobs becomes harder and harder as you take on new quests. If you take enough healing and stamina replenishing items along with a load of other items i wont go into in a written review. you can sometime come off better than the monster you went to hunt but not often. The first large mob i fought was hard i won by the skin of my teeth and it felt great. Depending on what sword axe hammer or ranged weapon you are using will depend on you movement speed when you have it unsheathed. This is what makes the combat hard and much deeper when you pull out your great sword and all you can do is walk you feel powerless but get those hits in and you will smash monsters to pieces. Use you much quicker dual blades and you will attack faster run quicker and dodge quicker but its gonna take you a lot longer to bring down the big mothers. There are a range of other things to do as well like gardening, fishing, forging ad sending people out to get items for you. The game also features online play which i have not had the pleasure of play as i don't own a Wii U. What do you mean i hear you shout, well without the Wii U the Nintendo 3ds version of monster hunter is unplayable online. you can play local with another friend but lets face it not many people have a 3DS or a Wii U. Its a shame because i believe the most fun part of this game would be the multiplayer but i just haven't had the chance to test it. Anyway depending on your game preference you will get 100's of hours or 10 minutes outta this game. I really suggest doing some research into weather you want to have a go with monster hunter 3 due to it nature. For me though I love this game and it keeps me up many nights playing on a tiny screen instead when i could have been playing Xbox or play station on a 42" TV I love this game hopefully you might grow to love it to. Oh and by the way this game was made for the circle pad pro get it before you buy this game Expand
  28. Apr 30, 2013
    The negative reviews that I have read seem to clearly have missed the point of this kind of game. Want fast paced, twitch reaction killing sprees? Devil May Cry, God of War, or Dead Island may be more your speed. Looking for depth of story? Ni No Kuni or Tales of the Abyss could be right up your alley.

This is a game that hearkens back to the days of yore. Where difficulty and
    dedication ruled the roost. If you enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus, this game is the perfect match for you. If you're not the type of gamer who enjoys a slow burn, then look elsewhere. Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is my first serious foray into the series. The learning curve is daunting. I am currently 53 hours in and I have barely made it halfway through the solo village quests. This is a game where failure dictates process. What this means is that the easily discouraged will blame controls, animations, or camera angles for their failures. None of these things are perfect, but anybody who is willing to put in the effort to learn the intricacies will be deeply rewarded. There are few video game experiences like taking down your first Elder Dragon in Monster Hunter. These days, few games leave you with any sense of accomplishment. Monster Hunter gives this sense out in spades.

Overall, this is not a game for those who need instant gratification. If you come from the old school of gaming, or you enjoy a real challenge, there are few games (especially on the 3DS) that come close to matching the scope and magnitude of Monster Hunter 3U.

Overall,
  29. Apr 20, 2013
    I would have given this a 9, but a few things hold it back. Somewhat awkward controls (the "circle pad pro" doesn't really help either), and the repetitive nature of the game (which hasn't really evolved much since the first iteration).

Other than that, this is my favorite monster hunter game. It looks great on the 3DS and has a lot more content than the Wii's version (Monster Hunter Tri)
  30. May 9, 2013
    Amazing. This is my first Monster Hunter title I have played, and I've barely been outside since I started. Ok, so that's an exaggeration, but this is one of my favorite game purchases ever. In terms of playability, you do the same thing over and over again... but it never ceases to be fun. The game is very challenging for newcomers to the series, but the fun lies in how rewarding it feels, and the sense of accomplishment, when you figure out how to best kill or capture each new monster you face, with different attack sets and weaknesses. There is a lot of grinding involved at times, but even that is still fun once you realize how much better you are with each time facing the monster. The content is massive: I'm at over 100 hours and still have probably well over half the game to go. Many people say online play missing is a drawback to this game, but I think I'm in the minority when I disagree with that. I don't think I would want to play online with strangers luckily enough, I have a few friends with 3DS and Wii U and we all got this game to play together. It's much better that way than with strangers halfway across the globe, fights feel much more epic with your friends sitting there with you. If you like a good challenge, collecting things, and having no social life for the next month or two, you'll want to pick this game up. It's one of the best offerings and best value titles for the 3DS. I wanted to give it a perfect score, but I can't simply because it's a battery killer on 3DS, and the control scheme isn't that great without circle pad pro. These are moreso faults with the 3DS than this title, but still are frustrating problems with the game at times. Expand
  31. Jun 28, 2013
    A fun and enjoyable game that adds to Monster Hunter Tri. The graphics are surprisingly good considering it is a 3DS game, and the range of monsters is even more substantial. While it is a shame that online multiplayer can only be accessed with the use of a WiiU, the local multiplayer is still effective (if you can find local people for it that is!). The only other complaint I have is the underwater combat controls, which are undoubtedly difficult to use.
    Aside from that, as long as you aren't facing a monster which only prowls underwater, you will be good!
  32. Jun 13, 2013
    great game but holy heck is it hard! graphics are great, sound is great, gameplay is intense but when you want a whole armor set from a certain monster, it greats really repetitive quick! killing the same monster 10 times because you are missing one piece is very frustrating. but if you want a game that you want intense battles and want to put more than 100 hours into? well this game isa great buy! but i would rate this game an 8 or 9 if it had online multiplayer. trying to find a friend who will also like this game is pretty hard to find.

i would even consider this harder than dark souls in my opinion.
  33. Apr 18, 2013
    With a few shorthands, this is a very great game. The graphics don't fall short of amazing, and the gameplay itself is really fun. The weapons bring out so much power that you feel like you could take on anything. The online was very, VERY slow. Playing with friends usually took a long time.But it was still always fun.

I still like the Wii U version the best. But the 3DS is nowhere
    short from amazing. Expand
  34. Jun 11, 2014
    Ive gotten used to monster hunters quite awful controls but this game just brings it to a whole new level, as soon as you jump into the water the game controls like I was drunk and my character was as well. And yes i know using the circle pad pro makes it better but i shouldn't have to buy a secondary accessory to make make the game playable, if the next one is going to play this bad then capcom can be sure they wont be having a repeat customer. As why should I be? The vita has far superior games that fulfill the same itch, so tah-tah monster hunter Ill be waiting for you on the vita. Expand
  35. May 3, 2013
    This is an amazing game, being basically and expansion of MHTri. The addition though of new monsters, weapons, and armor are what help make this game stand by it self. The only downside to the 3ds version is the fact it can't do online multiplayer, simply just local. This was one feature I was hoping not to be a WiiU exclusive but that doesn't ruin the game in my opinion. With the addition of new quests every week or so helps keep the game fresh. Being a monster hunter veteran I feel the game could have offered more but for what it does have to offer I feel it succeeded and did it well.

The gameplay feels fresh due to slightly new mechanics for certain weapons as well as the new "limiter removal" system for bowguns seems like a nice touch. A big plus from being an expansion of Monster Hunter Tri is that they brought back all the current weapon types. I personally wasn't to big of a fan of the custom bowgun pieces in tri and I'm glad they brought back the basic Heavy and Light bowguns.

Overall this is a great game and will have you hooked for hours. Defiantly a must buy for any Monster Hunter fan!
  36. May 13, 2013
    Arguably one of the best Monster Hunter games to release in North America, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (MH3U) is an exciting game with plenty of new monsters to keep things fresh. Those unfamiliar with the series will likely have a hard time picking it up at first, and it's hard to recommend this game to those who are unwilling to put in the hours necessary to master the game. If you liked the Dark Souls series, you will probably like this game. If not, I'd pass on MH3U. All in all, MH3U is a great pickup for dedicated gamers and gamers who love a challenge.

Positives:
    Auto-lock camera is a nice addition to help new players
    Rich and rewarding combat
    Access 12 weapon types, each with their own unique play-style
    Armor at low ranks have been less necessary, and the starting armor is quite useful
    Hours upon hours of gameplay content with FREE downloadable content available
    Weapons and armor look stunning and the new monster look great!

Negatives: NO ONLINE!!! Lack of online really hurts 3DS users, though it can be fixed if you have a Wii U
    A LARGE learning curve can be a turn off to casual gamers
    The camera can be hard to control if you do not buy the 3DS circle pad pro accessory
    The game starts off very slow

In the interest of full disclosure: I have completed the entire village quests and currently in G-Rank in the online port city. I do not have a Wii U nor a circle pad pro. At the time of review, I have played MH3U for 134 hours.
  37. Jul 25, 2013
    This game desperately calls for the exact same controls as Kid Icarus (on option of course, not imposed on everyone) as it's begging for it. Being a keyboard-and-mouse kind of gamer I really hated the camera controls in this game. It ruins the entire experience, which I can clearly see is nothing but barrels full of awesome. I can see, from the point of view of someone who likes this game, why they adore it so much... but I can't seem to get a groove going for the life of me. I always end up with the camera pointing away from the enemy. The "L" taps don't respond as expected. The button configs are super awkward. I tried an hour of the demo, then hours of the game itself... yet I never ever found my groove for this one. Not enough control options. Expand
  38. May 13, 2014
    COMMENT OF THE GAME -Good when you gathering the material for making equipment -Bad when you cannot beat a boss -Sad when you hunt for a rare material -Great when you finally hunt your rare material -Sad when 3ds cannot play online (only in local) -Sad when you control your view ( it is totally not a problem for me ,but maybe hard for rookie) -Sad when you cannot speak freely

OVERALL
    -Great game for 3ds
    -Graphic is good (don't compare with wiiu thx)
    -Moderate Control
    -Not an engaging game, maybe monster hunter should add a story like GOD EATER but your character can speak freely like FIRE EMBLEM
    -CAPCOM boss fight , you know!
  39. May 24, 2014
    Nothing entirely clicks and there's just too much boredom. Everything related to the town and menus are enough to put me to sleep. Battles are alright, control a little stiff but i can see what they were going for i guess. You can get quite a few hours out of the game even if you don't love it though.
  40. Mar 18, 2014
    No doubt about it, this game is as addictive as hell, but the omission of online multiplayer is baffling. Having to use a stupid workaround with the WiiU is ridiculous when so many great 3DS games like Resident evil revelations have online multiplayer out of the box. You also need the circle pad pro to play the game properly. The controls and the lack of online multiplayer stops this game getting a 10. It's also starting to look a little dated, graphically speaking. Why does Europe and North America have to wait until 2015 for Monster hunter 4 and online multiplayer? Capcom are holding back their own franchise. Expand
  41. Oct 6, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic game, but definitely not for everyone. As I tell any new player coming into the series, be ready to WASTE many hours of your life failing at your hunts. Get ready to WASTE many resources as you attempt to kill these monsters. Get ready to want to THROW your 3DS across the room after a bad hunt. This WILL happen to you. What has kept me playing for 250+ hours? When you do succeed, if you have the patience, that feeling of a job well done and a rewarded effort is MAGNIFICENT and FAR more satisfying than any game where progression is a given, rather than a task you devote days of your life to. Expand
  42. Aug 6, 2013
    It is worth it to buy a 3ds just for this game. Perfect controls even without the CPP, tons of content, free weekly DLC, awesome 3d effect, good graphics, and most importantly, good gameplay.
  43. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is super amazing the graphics,the controlls[only with th circle pad pro] the you go around collecting stuff. The best part is all the monsters the are huge and just AWESOME. The world in Monster Hunter 3 ultimate is good too it's open and huge. The swimming is diffrent but it's ok it's not the best though. Also the weapons are good too I started out with the sword and sheild but don't use it it sucks but i use the long sword which I highly recommend. Expand
  44. Jun 27, 2013
    Great game and a great expansion to the Monster Hunter 3 world. A must have for any Monster Hunter fan. For people new to monster hunter: it is a grind, you have to appreciate timing and patience and trust me it is intensely frustrating at times. But if you love a grind and the rewards that you build from it you will love Monster Hunter.
  45. Jul 23, 2013
    This game is a GRREAT game for anyone of those who wants to play a rpg or anything like that. This game is perfect but there are a few things that is missing. I was anticipating for some great multiplayer like matchmaking or servers so I can play with anyone who owns this game. It also definitely can make a great MMORPG! You have to use your tactics, reaction skills and your preparations for each battle. Every monster has a weakness and there is TONS TONS TONS TONS TONS of customization in this game. I started playing since 2 was out and it was a GREATTTT EXPEREICE Expand
  46. Nov 12, 2013
    Capcom has always been one of my favorite video game companies and its really only because of Megaman. Monster Hunter is my new favorite game, I really like the whole concept and no matter what monster I fight I I'm having a total blast. I am huge into survival type games and also games that you have to get look for resources and supplies. The environment is very wild and mysterious, the AI is very silly and forget able but its better than been annoying. The weapon types are very cool(dual blades for the win), armor can literally can look like anything, and the monsters you fight always look like Pacific Rim sea monsters or default Dinosaur. The real issue I have is that its for the 3DS and the camera is not that great its even worse when your in the water. That's the real issue with this, I still love this game regardless. I will deal with the bad camera just because of the fact that the whole game is amazing with fantastic sounds, solid graphics, and non stop action. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is easily top 5 best 3DS games ever. Expand
  47. Jul 22, 2014
    Granted, this is a game that definitely needs the Circle Pad Pro to enjoy it at it's full potential. But once you get a hold of it, and the mechanics, you won't let it go. Some issues for the new owners will be the controls, since you need to time every action and expect a couple of hits while waiting for your character to finish the last move, but that's exactly the beauty of MH3. Monsters and character can be defeated thanks to those timed actions you need to master. Expand
  48. Aug 27, 2013
    One of the best games so far for the 3ds, with a huge amount of content (over 35 hours in and still haven't scratched the surface) and one of the few games in the market which rewards player skill and progression. The core concepts in the game is to hunt huge monsters over and over again which gets progressively hard as you go on and using parts from the monster to craft new weapons and armor. Grinding may put some people off, but each fight is different and rewards the players skill over time. The graphics are amazing considering its a handheld game with a variety of environments and many monster to hunt,

Only cons with the game is the lack of an online multiplayer which is a distinct feature of the monster hunter series however can 1) play multiplayer through a local connection or 2) connect through a Wii U.

I definitely recommend picking up this game if you have a 3DS and also a circle pad pro as it makes controls a lot easier (especially underwater fights.)
  49. Nov 4, 2013
    I enjoy this game very much but there are some shortcomings for example the lack of good multi player in 2013 I do recommend u try the demo first though this game is not for everyone)
  50. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the best I've seen, its not as slow as its previous counter parts. it makes you start hunting monsters as soon as it could without disregarding the tutorials.The only issue I have with this game is the hunting for monsters under water,its not as much of an issue as it could have been but it could have been better.As far as the graphics go they certainly could have been better but considering everything that happens in the game at sometimes they are good looking enough. Buy it if you wanna have some fun on the go and waste countless of hours hunting monsters. Expand
  51. Feb 16, 2014
    Absolutely great game! Was a lovely improvement on Tri for the Wii and is a game that should definitely be recommended to all friends who have a 3DS or not (if they don't then this is a must-buy), although not completely flawless (underwater camera control is still iffy) but a great multi-player experience and can't wait for MH4U to come out in 2015!!
  52. Mar 7, 2014
    The lack of tutorials at the beginning gave me a hard time to just understand how to play the game and what exactly is happening during a quest. The graphics aren't as good and 3D effects create minor lagging during combat. Other than that, it is a great game with lots of depth and great monsters to fight with. Look forward to MH4.
  53. May 24, 2014
    I found this game to be wonderful! The only problem with it is that the graphics aren't AS good as the wii u version. I love this game and something that I really love is the fact that you can take data from the wii u version. This is basically like a portable wii u!
  54. Jul 26, 2014
    Lots of monsters, lots of hunting, a huge amount of armor and weapons to try... It's Monster **** Hunter at it's best. And you don't need more. And you don't ask for more because you already have all. Except wifi online. Thanks god for the upcoming MH4U

1. May 9, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is one of the largest Monster Hunter games to have been released and perhaps one of the largest 3DS games.
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    It is a shame that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS is let down so badly by the lack of online capability. However, if you have friends with the title or have prior experience with the series and can deal with the challenge of fighting alone, then 3 Ultimate is worth picking up. Just make sure you play with the Circle Pad Pro.
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is another very good reason to own a 3DS. It's the same huge game you can play on Wii U, and local coop is a blast. Online support is laughable, but the game is still a wonder. Having to choose, though, the Wii U version is superior.