8.1

1. Mar 19, 2013
    Certainly not perfect, but still an amazing game. The graphics on the 3DS are outstanding, gameplay is fun and strategic, and there is an insane amount of content in this game. Crafting armor-pieces and weapons based on monsters is really fun, and I've never had this much fun grinding in a game. The grinding isn't even necessary, but it sure makes things easier. Monsters and equipment looks really cool, and they are both very unique design-wise. Bonus-features such as Streetpass also works well, and multiplayer is really enjoyable if you have some friends you can play local with.

My only complaints about the game is the lack of online, though the game was intended for the Japanese, where online isn't necessary, text being a bit hard to read on the 3DS though it looks good on the XL and the start, which is a bit slow. But don't let these things stop you, since the game is still excellent, and you'll have a lot of fun with it.

I recommend buying a Circle Pad Pro along with the game. You won't need it, but the controls becomes much better, and the Circle Pad Pro is still compatible with other software such as Resident Evil Revelations.
  2. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is loads of fun. I've already put more hours into it on the first day than it takes to complete certain games. Every weapon(There are 12 weapon types) feels like a completely different game, and each is fun. To add each fight feels different, even if it is the same monster 6 times in a row. This game is the most fun thing I've ever played.
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    Impressed and addicted. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate marks my entry into the series. As a huge fan of Dark Souls, this game was highly recommended to me and I can see why. The first 5-6 hours are admittedly tiresome but the game really kicks off after that. The hunting is exhilarating and tactical while the crafting system is deep but not too complex. Honestly this game is a ton of fun and exactly the experience I've been missing on my portable console. The only major con to this game is the lack of online connectivity and so I deduct a point. Otherwise stellar gameplay and visuals make this one of the best 3DS experiences out there, right under Fire Emblem. Collapse
  4. Mar 19, 2013
    This is the best in the series compared to other Monster Hunter games. Monster Hunter Tri on Wii has 35 monsters and 7 types of weapons. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd has 60 monsters and 12 weapons types but was not released in the Us/Europe. Monster Hunter Ultimate has 73 monsters and 12 types of weapons. That is a lot of monsters to hunt along with plenty of weapons and armor to choose from. While the lack of online play is annoying, it is no reason to not pick up a 3ds copy. If you really want to play online then buy the Wii U version. The most surprising thing so far is the frame rate. It never drops and stays at a steady smooth flow regardless of how many monsters are on the screen. If you love Monster Hunter you will pick this up. Please watch videos and streams of people playing if you are debating to pick it up or a new comer. Do not base your purchase off the demo but rather use the demo as a learning tool to prepare yourself for the real Monster Hunt. Expand
  5. Mar 20, 2013
    This game has a huge amount of contact in a very small cartridge. The 3D effect is very good, and the game plays very well. The only minor complaints I can think of is the water controls take a bit of getting used to, and the text is a little blurry, but these don't detract at all from the gameplay. Also, I think it should be pointed out that MH is not KNOWN FOR it's online but for it's local multiplayer. I also believe online is also not a huge deal as people make it out to be. It is usually only fun if you have friends who play the game with you, and even then that can be done at home. Both versions of the game are good, and both are 10/10 for me. Expand
  6. Mar 24, 2013
    Brilliant game only not a 10 because of no online multiplayer, but got to be one of the best 3ds games I have played graphics are great, sound is good and gameplay is where it is at it will grab you and won't want to let go. A masterpiece in handheld gaming. A must title for 3ds. Can't wait till mh 4
  7. Apr 3, 2013
    Having played some of the previous versions I am impressed by the amount of content that has been added. The series was already expansive in game content and this new iteration proves that big can always be bigger. Still the same rewarding gathering, combo, quest system that keeps you coming back for more. The one downfall? This version only has local multiplayer. Other than that, a very immersive experience even in solo play. Expand
  8. Apr 11, 2013
    Best game ever, even tho it doesn thave multiplayer still really really good. Maybe thats because im also used to it cuz i used to play mh unite solo
    Still played 50hours rigth now and there is like 100 or more to go
  9. Sep 17, 2013
    Chances are you won't like this game. It requires patience and dedication that most gamers lack. Some negative reviews say that they didn't like that they had to work for their rare items but I know for a fact that they don't even know the half of it. But if you have the patience Monster Hunter is possibly one of the most fun and rewarding games you will ever play.
  10. Sep 18, 2013
    A very good reason to buy a 3DS, then convince your friends to also buy a 3DS. Totally addictive, colourful, charming and well worth the price tag. Highly recommended
  11. Mar 28, 2013
    This game has more than 200 exhilerating quests, larger than life monsters, hundreds of armor and weapons.
  12. Mar 27, 2013
    Not perfect, but very close. Engaging, thoughtful combat that forces you to think of your moves and prepare appropriately every time, and darn me if it isn't satisfying. No online play, and a pretty slow start are not enough to bog down the score. Fantastic, and local play is enough fun to make me forget about online play problems.
  13. Mar 22, 2013
    Let me just start by saying this, Monster Hunter is awesome. I bought the pack with the 3DS XL and I am very glad I did. This is certainly the definitive hand held version of monster hunter. The first game in the series I played was Freedom Unite on the PSP, at the time when I first tried it I was impressed by the game but did not have a lot of fun; which I find is the case when a lot of people first try the series. Long story short; I got killed a lot, didn't know how to go about farming materials which seemed to take forever and gave up.

I went back to the game a few weeks later and after reading a bit about the game had a lot of fun and spent countless hours playing it once I understood strategies to defeat creatures and places to acquire the items I needed.

What I am trying to say is if you try this game and don't like it for whatever reason, give it a chance. You can not learn how to play monster hunter is a few hours or days, try weeks and months. I have put in at least 100 hours between the PSP and the Vita and some of the creatures still kick my ass, but it is oh so satisfying when you take down one of those Bast...uh.. Massive Creatures ;)

This entry in the series does not disappoint, the gameplay is similar to the rest of the series and the controls are solid, especially with a circle pad pro. More creatures and Items than ever before means that this game is going to be very entertaining for quite a long time.

The Circle Pad Pro is a massive improvement to the camera controls so I definitely recommend getting one to play this game, It is playable without it, but trying to adjust the camera mid battle with the touch screen is difficult and can mean the difference between a dodge and death.

Graphics are good, but some anti-aliasing would have been nice, I suspect it was scrapped for performance reasons, but some objects are quite jaggy. Overall the are acceptable and comparable to most 3DS games, but don't expect the crispness of New Super Mario Bros.

Sound is good, slightly crackly occasionally on the XL, but this is due to the 3DS XL's speakers not the game.

If you are a Monster Hunter fan this game is a must buy. 10/10
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    The negative reviews that I have read seem to clearly have missed the point of this kind of game. Want fast paced, twitch reaction killing sprees? Devil May Cry, God of War, or Dead Island may be more your speed. Looking for depth of story? Ni No Kuni or Tales of the Abyss could be right up your alley.

This is a game that hearkens back to the days of yore. Where difficulty and
    dedication ruled the roost. If you enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus, this game is the perfect match for you. If you're not the type of gamer who enjoys a slow burn, then look elsewhere. Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is my first serious foray into the series. The learning curve is daunting. I am currently 53 hours in and I have barely made it halfway through the solo village quests. This is a game where failure dictates process. What this means is that the easily discouraged will blame controls, animations, or camera angles for their failures. None of these things are perfect, but anybody who is willing to put in the effort to learn the intricacies will be deeply rewarded. There are few video game experiences like taking down your first Elder Dragon in Monster Hunter. These days, few games leave you with any sense of accomplishment. Monster Hunter gives this sense out in spades.

Overall, this is not a game for those who need instant gratification. If you come from the old school of gaming, or you enjoy a real challenge, there are few games (especially on the 3DS) that come close to matching the scope and magnitude of Monster Hunter 3U.

Overall,
  15. May 9, 2013
    Amazing. This is my first Monster Hunter title I have played, and I've barely been outside since I started. Ok, so that's an exaggeration, but this is one of my favorite game purchases ever. In terms of playability, you do the same thing over and over again... but it never ceases to be fun. The game is very challenging for newcomers to the series, but the fun lies in how rewarding it feels, and the sense of accomplishment, when you figure out how to best kill or capture each new monster you face, with different attack sets and weaknesses. There is a lot of grinding involved at times, but even that is still fun once you realize how much better you are with each time facing the monster. The content is massive: I'm at over 100 hours and still have probably well over half the game to go. Many people say online play missing is a drawback to this game, but I think I'm in the minority when I disagree with that. I don't think I would want to play online with strangers luckily enough, I have a few friends with 3DS and Wii U and we all got this game to play together. It's much better that way than with strangers halfway across the globe, fights feel much more epic with your friends sitting there with you. If you like a good challenge, collecting things, and having no social life for the next month or two, you'll want to pick this game up. It's one of the best offerings and best value titles for the 3DS. I wanted to give it a perfect score, but I can't simply because it's a battery killer on 3DS, and the control scheme isn't that great without circle pad pro. These are moreso faults with the 3DS than this title, but still are frustrating problems with the game at times. Expand
  16. Apr 18, 2013
    With a few shorthands, this is a very great game. The graphics don't fall short of amazing, and the gameplay itself is really fun. The weapons bring out so much power that you feel like you could take on anything. The online was very, VERY slow. Playing with friends usually took a long time.But it was still always fun.

I still like the Wii U version the best. But the 3DS is nowhere
    short from amazing. Expand
  17. May 3, 2013
    This is an amazing game, being basically and expansion of MHTri. The addition though of new monsters, weapons, and armor are what help make this game stand by it self. The only downside to the 3ds version is the fact it can't do online multiplayer, simply just local. This was one feature I was hoping not to be a WiiU exclusive but that doesn't ruin the game in my opinion. With the addition of new quests every week or so helps keep the game fresh. Being a monster hunter veteran I feel the game could have offered more but for what it does have to offer I feel it succeeded and did it well.

The gameplay feels fresh due to slightly new mechanics for certain weapons as well as the new "limiter removal" system for bowguns seems like a nice touch. A big plus from being an expansion of Monster Hunter Tri is that they brought back all the current weapon types. I personally wasn't to big of a fan of the custom bowgun pieces in tri and I'm glad they brought back the basic Heavy and Light bowguns.

Overall this is a great game and will have you hooked for hours. Defiantly a must buy for any Monster Hunter fan!
  18. Oct 6, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic game, but definitely not for everyone. As I tell any new player coming into the series, be ready to WASTE many hours of your life failing at your hunts. Get ready to WASTE many resources as you attempt to kill these monsters. Get ready to want to THROW your 3DS across the room after a bad hunt. This WILL happen to you. What has kept me playing for 250+ hours? When you do succeed, if you have the patience, that feeling of a job well done and a rewarded effort is MAGNIFICENT and FAR more satisfying than any game where progression is a given, rather than a task you devote days of your life to. Expand
  19. Nov 22, 2014
    I have played all versions on the PSP and can state that MH3U on the 3DS is a far better experience. Better controls, graphics, sound, and gameplay. Best of all you won't be getting those nasty claw grip hand cramps like you did on the PSP. The lack of online is not an issue as the challenge of taking on the monsters alone is a far more rewarding experience. If I only had one game for my 3ds this would be it as it's a lot of fun, rewards like no other, and takes many thousands of hours to complete using all weapons types / classes.

Highly recommended to fans of the franchise or to anyone that likes fighting with a solid tactical / strategic foundation.
  20. Nov 5, 2014
    This hardcore action RPG is not only an amazing game, but one of the best games of all time. If you are up for the incredible challenge, then buy this game!
  21. Aug 6, 2013
    It is worth it to buy a 3ds just for this game. Perfect controls even without the CPP, tons of content, free weekly DLC, awesome 3d effect, good graphics, and most importantly, good gameplay.
  22. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is super amazing the graphics,the controlls[only with th circle pad pro] the you go around collecting stuff. The best part is all the monsters the are huge and just AWESOME. The world in Monster Hunter 3 ultimate is good too it's open and huge. The swimming is diffrent but it's ok it's not the best though. Also the weapons are good too I started out with the sword and sheild but don't use it it sucks but i use the long sword which I highly recommend. Expand
  23. Jun 27, 2013
    Great game and a great expansion to the Monster Hunter 3 world. A must have for any Monster Hunter fan. For people new to monster hunter: it is a grind, you have to appreciate timing and patience and trust me it is intensely frustrating at times. But if you love a grind and the rewards that you build from it you will love Monster Hunter.
  24. Nov 12, 2013
    Capcom has always been one of my favorite video game companies and its really only because of Megaman. Monster Hunter is my new favorite game, I really like the whole concept and no matter what monster I fight I I'm having a total blast. I am huge into survival type games and also games that you have to get look for resources and supplies. The environment is very wild and mysterious, the AI is very silly and forget able but its better than been annoying. The weapon types are very cool(dual blades for the win), armor can literally can look like anything, and the monsters you fight always look like Pacific Rim sea monsters or default Dinosaur. The real issue I have is that its for the 3DS and the camera is not that great its even worse when your in the water. That's the real issue with this, I still love this game regardless. I will deal with the bad camera just because of the fact that the whole game is amazing with fantastic sounds, solid graphics, and non stop action. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is easily top 5 best 3DS games ever. Expand
  25. Jul 22, 2014
    Granted, this is a game that definitely needs the Circle Pad Pro to enjoy it at it's full potential. But once you get a hold of it, and the mechanics, you won't let it go. Some issues for the new owners will be the controls, since you need to time every action and expect a couple of hits while waiting for your character to finish the last move, but that's exactly the beauty of MH3. Monsters and character can be defeated thanks to those timed actions you need to master. Expand
  26. Aug 27, 2013
    One of the best games so far for the 3ds, with a huge amount of content (over 35 hours in and still haven't scratched the surface) and one of the few games in the market which rewards player skill and progression. The core concepts in the game is to hunt huge monsters over and over again which gets progressively hard as you go on and using parts from the monster to craft new weapons and armor. Grinding may put some people off, but each fight is different and rewards the players skill over time. The graphics are amazing considering its a handheld game with a variety of environments and many monster to hunt,

Only cons with the game is the lack of an online multiplayer which is a distinct feature of the monster hunter series however can 1) play multiplayer through a local connection or 2) connect through a Wii U.

I definitely recommend picking up this game if you have a 3DS and also a circle pad pro as it makes controls a lot easier (especially underwater fights.)
  27. Nov 4, 2013
    I enjoy this game very much but there are some shortcomings for example the lack of good multi player in 2013 I do recommend u try the demo first though this game is not for everyone)
  28. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the best I've seen, its not as slow as its previous counter parts. it makes you start hunting monsters as soon as it could without disregarding the tutorials.The only issue I have with this game is the hunting for monsters under water,its not as much of an issue as it could have been but it could have been better.As far as the graphics go they certainly could have been better but considering everything that happens in the game at sometimes they are good looking enough. Buy it if you wanna have some fun on the go and waste countless of hours hunting monsters. Expand
  29. Feb 16, 2014
    Absolutely great game! Was a lovely improvement on Tri for the Wii and is a game that should definitely be recommended to all friends who have a 3DS or not (if they don't then this is a must-buy), although not completely flawless (underwater camera control is still iffy) but a great multi-player experience and can't wait for MH4U to come out in 2015!!
  30. May 24, 2014
    I found this game to be wonderful! The only problem with it is that the graphics aren't AS good as the wii u version. I love this game and something that I really love is the fact that you can take data from the wii u version. This is basically like a portable wii u!
  31. Jul 26, 2014
    Lots of monsters, lots of hunting, a huge amount of armor and weapons to try... It's Monster **** Hunter at it's best. And you don't need more. And you don't ask for more because you already have all. Except wifi online. Thanks god for the upcoming MH4U
  32. Nov 25, 2014
    If you have the patience and discipline required for this game and you like to slay big aggresive monsters for parts to upgrade your gear (that's the core game) I promise you; you will like this game. If you do not however, you will find it a anoying and frustrating experience.
  33. Nov 3, 2014
    This game requires patience to get into, but the overall payoff is gigantic. Unlike most games with crafting nowadays this game has an interesting and deep one for weapons, armor and even character buffs. I'm still 25+ hours into the game, yet I'm nowhere near over. There's no story-based payoff for killing most monsters, but even then the experience is so relieving when you finally defeat one or sometimes even two large monsters. Co-op is also incredibly fun. Whilst the general pool of quests is lower than the amount you'd see in the single player, the game has such strong teamwork built into it that it even rivals MOBAs. The only complaint I have is that a Circle Pad Pro or the New Nintendo 3DS is a compliment to the game, otherwise underwater monsters will be a pain to fight. Of course, you can always buy it on the Wii U. Expand
  34. Mar 19, 2013

1. May 9, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is one of the largest Monster Hunter games to have been released and perhaps one of the largest 3DS games.
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    It is a shame that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS is let down so badly by the lack of online capability. However, if you have friends with the title or have prior experience with the series and can deal with the challenge of fighting alone, then 3 Ultimate is worth picking up. Just make sure you play with the Circle Pad Pro.
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is another very good reason to own a 3DS. It's the same huge game you can play on Wii U, and local coop is a blast. Online support is laughable, but the game is still a wonder. Having to choose, though, the Wii U version is superior.