7.1

1. Aug 23, 2012
    This game is just a PAINFULLY blatant rehash of all the other NSMB games with a coin gimmick. Honestly, I expected a lot more from a Mario game and I seriously hope Nintendo learns their lesson with this title.
  2. Aug 30, 2012
    This game, is the worst proper mario game, since mario 2. The world designs and the music are incredibly similar to the other NSMB games. The coin gimmick is pointless, since the coins dont actually give you anything other than a different title screen. The gameplay is fun, but its still the same mario game we've experienced for over 20 years.
    To make the game better i would suggest
    To make the game better i would suggest composing a new soundtrack. try making some good original environments that actually make use of the 3DS's 3D effect and also try and do something new with the mario license. Develop the story mode a little. Add something to make coin collecting worth something, maybe do what the Lego games are doing and make it so that you use coins to buy more characters or special items.
  3. Aug 24, 2012
    Unfortunately this game is incredibly boring. The problem is not in the mechanics as it is a mario game, but I believe that this the first mario game with a complete lack of originality. The coin gimmick don't count and actually doesn't add any value or enjoyment to the game. To sum up in points this is why I think this is a weak mario title:
    - Nearly the same exact world themes from
    - Nearly the same exact world themes from NSMB.
    - No creativity which was evident in mario games (SMW2, MG 1&2, SMB3, SM64, etc.)
    - The coin gimmick is seriously just a gimmick without adding any fun to the game.
    - Coin rush is not really a fun multiplayer mode.

I hate to say this but it seems that Nintendo just released NSMB2 considering mario as a cash cow and I hope this doesn't continue as a trend. I'm in world six right now and I'm forcing myself to finish the game.
  4. Aug 20, 2012
    This game is short and the lack of innovation caused this review. No online mp in 2012 is brutal and unacceptable. Just bc it's Mario doesn't make it good, this is pandering and I'm not a fan anymore as an adult. I demand better in my games and this doesn't cut it. The raccoon suit only thing remotely positive in this game.
  5. Nov 16, 2012
    This game is total fail, bad 3d quality and glitchy gameplay, avoid it
  6. Nov 11, 2012
    The poor state of the economy finally filters its way to the mushroom kingdom.
    Now not only does Mario have to save the Princess AGAIN but he has to recoup a million coins so the mushroom kingdom doesn't repossess his castle.
    The poor state of the economy finally filters its way to the mushroom kingdom.
    I can only assume Mario is the princesses handyman or servant of some description, as a lowly plumber she surely must be aware that her status demands she marry into another reputable household less she tarnish what I am sure is a long upstanding family name.
    Mario may be a hero, but he is no prince, nor a knight. His only title is Plumber. Doesn't even have an apprentice to do his dirty work for him. I mean even if you counted Luigi, which no one does, they do the crap work together. Not a sound mind for business it would seem.
    Probably why he's in dire financial straits in the first place. His plan to fix it? Kill things and turn them into money.
    Actually that isn't the worst plan he's had.
  7. Nov 25, 2012
    AVOID!!!! I love mario but this is just poor. the 4 hour single player mode is fine but not one level will strike out as amazing, which you come to expect from Nintendo. the tacked on 1000000 coin goal is terrible, you will be bored to death trying to get 1000000. I got around 50000 on my first play through, and to get all the star coins i was near 80000, and I had enough. The racoon suitAVOID!!!! I love mario but this is just poor. the 4 hour single player mode is fine but not one level will strike out as amazing, which you come to expect from Nintendo. the tacked on 1000000 coin goal is terrible, you will be bored to death trying to get 1000000. I got around 50000 on my first play through, and to get all the star coins i was near 80000, and I had enough. The racoon suit is awsome and coin rush mode is a good addition, but overall a poor package Collapse
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    NSMB.2 surely has to be one of the worst Mario titles to date. Never has it been so apparent of the unspectacular level designs and relatively charmless gameplay. The 3D in the game is completely ineffectual, it just blurs the background that's it! NSMB.2's main gameplay feature is the large supply of gold coins scattered within the levels, with the aim of collecting as many as you canNSMB.2 surely has to be one of the worst Mario titles to date. Never has it been so apparent of the unspectacular level designs and relatively charmless gameplay. The 3D in the game is completely ineffectual, it just blurs the background that's it! NSMB.2's main gameplay feature is the large supply of gold coins scattered within the levels, with the aim of collecting as many as you can while also rescuing the independent as ever (ha!) Princess Peach. The gold coin collecting idea feels cheap and shallow, just a glorified collect-em-up essentially. The game features characters from the original Super Mario Bros. Trilogy but as with the Wii version of NSMB, this implementation is purely for nostalgic purposes but has no overall effect on the actual game. Co-op mode is wishy washy and to be honest, just as clunky as NSMB Wii's multiplayer was, with the character only focusing on the leading player making the game feel more competitive than cooperative. The Gold Rush mode is a fancy word for collect-em-up time trials. The premise is simple, collect as many gold coins throughout a set a three levels and reach the exits, then repeat these to improve your score. Sounds fair enough but improving your high score is not entirely accurate as the levels are randomised each time!? I know...there is DLC Coin Rush levels but it is a rather lame attempt at longevity to be honest.

Graphics: 6/10
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Features: 5/10

I would stick with your copy of Super Mario 3D Land (if you have it, if not buy that instead) because this Mario title is sadly not worth your time.
  9. Dec 27, 2012
    It's funny how this game is called new super Mario bros 2 but there is nothing new about all the sound tracks (except for the reznor theme) are recycled from new super Mario bros Wii, all of the enemies are recycled from new Smb, new Smb Wii, and 3d land, even the final battle is the same as in new Smb Wii: bowser grows giant for the third time in a row and when you fight dry bowser, it'sIt's funny how this game is called new super Mario bros 2 but there is nothing new about all the sound tracks (except for the reznor theme) are recycled from new super Mario bros Wii, all of the enemies are recycled from new Smb, new Smb Wii, and 3d land, even the final battle is the same as in new Smb Wii: bowser grows giant for the third time in a row and when you fight dry bowser, it's the exact same battle as when you battle bowser, the only thing about this game that is new is the gold flower and the heavy emphasis on coins but all you get for collecting a million coins is a new title screen I have no idea what nintendo was thinking when they made this game Expand
  10. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is just plain boring. I have no idea what I was thinking back in February 2013 when I gave this an 8. Literally EVERYTHING in this game except for the World Mushroom, Flower & Star music is recycled from New Super Mario Bros Wii.

What the hell were they thinking? That if they did the same final battle again except with Bowser chasing you vertically instead of horizontally, that people would love it? Nintendo, a company that's known for bringing us a lot of fresh, original games, could not have sunk lower than this.

I guess you could buy this if you haven't played NSMBW, but even then I'm pretty sure you'd be better off playing NSMBW, because that's a better game with more new things than this game.

Only reason I'm not giving this a 0 is because the game works fine, I guess? No glitchy gameplay or anything, so that's a plus.
  11. Apr 24, 2013
    All Mario/Luigi games on the 3DS have ranged from average to just bad. This game is in the bad section. The new Mario games are turning into COD. a new game coming out every year. In fact, It is even worse at this point. New Mario 2 and New Mario u came out the exact same year. Anyway. The game is bad. Its ugly, the level design is pathetic. The music is rehashed with even more wahs andAll Mario/Luigi games on the 3DS have ranged from average to just bad. This game is in the bad section. The new Mario games are turning into COD. a new game coming out every year. In fact, It is even worse at this point. New Mario 2 and New Mario u came out the exact same year. Anyway. The game is bad. Its ugly, the level design is pathetic. The music is rehashed with even more wahs and bahs. Level designs are cliche. Don't play this game. Don't give Nintendo your money Expand
  12. Apr 18, 2014
    I love people's mentality. "WE NEED MORE INTUITIVE MARIO GAMES!!! Oh hey, a recycled Mario game, let's buy it! Aw yeah, it's AWESOME!!!" No it is not! It is not new. It is recycled. I've had enough. ENOUGH. I've given Mario SLACK on many occasions. Heck, I even gave 3D land a PERFECT score because it was the best and most intuitive handheld Mario game ever (not to mention thatI love people's mentality. "WE NEED MORE INTUITIVE MARIO GAMES!!! Oh hey, a recycled Mario game, let's buy it! Aw yeah, it's AWESOME!!!" No it is not! It is not new. It is recycled. I've had enough. ENOUGH. I've given Mario SLACK on many occasions. Heck, I even gave 3D land a PERFECT score because it was the best and most intuitive handheld Mario game ever (not to mention that main theme, holy heck that crap was VERY addicting). Mario is dying because we cry for newer gameplay and buy the older games and LOVE IT. We kill the gaming society. Look at recent sales. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII OUTSOLD GALAXY, one of the MOST FRESH MARIO GAMES TO DATE. I'm baffled. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a failure, nothing more, everything less. Expand
  13. Sep 27, 2014
    Worst Mario platformer in the series. Don't waste more than $10 on this game. Everything about this game is a rehash. While the level design isn't bad, I found myself bored after a couple of levels because of all the reused assets. Also, the music sucks.
  14. Nov 25, 2012

Long-lasting and entertaining Mario-platformer has got a new spirit thanks to coin collecting but its design is nothing to be proud of. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't really all that new anymore. What you get is basically the same game as the first one for the Nintendo DS, but with less engaging levels, fewer surprises in terms of power-ups and gameplay, and a boring gimmick set on capturing your inner kleptomaniac.
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2's tricks may be old, but they are still some pretty darn good tricks. Length is one of the game's rare shortcomings. [Sept 2012]