7.3

1. Nov 2, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. New Super Mario Bros. 2 may be the same as it predecessors, but it is quite creative and enjoyable to play. New villains, new levels, and new worlds are featured here. It is a really fun game to play. I recommend this to mario fans and newcomers. Expand
  2. Jul 18, 2017
    Un juego muy continuista con un diseño de las pantallas muy bueno, como en todos los super mario. Muy bueno en su género, pero no tanto como el de ds , wii o wii u. Sinceramente me ha parecido el peor de la saga new super mario, pero no significa que sea malo
  3. Jul 3, 2017
    Looks like pretty good but this have no innovation and don't have 8 world but 6 world. This a 3DS Game but it's not a 3D game, is stupid. The quality are good.
  4. Mar 5, 2017
    Com uma pitada de diversão, já sabemos que quando compramos um Mario Bros, seja ele qual for, iremos jogar a melhor franquia de plataformas da história. Esse jogo assim como todos é muito divertido, ainda mais em multiplayer. Porém apresenta mecânicas chatas como a das moedas por exemplo. Num geral é um ótimo jogo.
  5. R
    Dec 2, 2016
    This game has alot of fun it from collecting as many coins to coin rush and playing with your friend it is a game that you must buy on your 3ds to be entertained
  6. Oct 20, 2016
    An absolute handheld experience. As almost every mario platformer, it is amazing. Nintendo is just best in this segment and you will enjoy every single level. Sometimes you suffer, sometimes you are pround on yourself but game as a whole serves its purpose amazingly.
  7. Oct 7, 2016
    The fourth "New Super Mario Bros.", you'd think they'd be done, but they still manage to make another. This time however, despite the princess being captured again, you're real objective is to collect 1,000,000 coins anyway possible. Nintendo throws in new power-ups, the Gold Flower, Coin Box, and the Gold Ring, which aren't really useful in saving the princess, but again, that isn'tThe fourth "New Super Mario Bros.", you'd think they'd be done, but they still manage to make another. This time however, despite the princess being captured again, you're real objective is to collect 1,000,000 coins anyway possible. Nintendo throws in new power-ups, the Gold Flower, Coin Box, and the Gold Ring, which aren't really useful in saving the princess, but again, that isn't really your goal.

Game play is still as solid as ever. Brand new courses but still not very imaginative themes. Grass, Desert, Snow, you get my drift. Boss battles are a bit of a disappointment though. The Koopalings are back, and you beat them exactly as you did in "New Super Mario Bros. Wii". And while Reznors from "Super Mario World", they aren't much of a challenge either. And don't even get me started on the final battle, but that'd be spoiling the game.

A new mode that Nintendo put in the game is called: "Coin Rush", where you run through courses in a short amount of time collecting as many coins as you can. And thankfully, in case you're a beginning player, the invincible White Raccoon suit is optional for Coin Rushing. You can even virtually challenge other players high scores via Spot Pass. The there's the downloadable course packs exclusively for Coin Rush, with packs like remakes from the original "Super Mario Bros.", to the most hardest courses in the history of "New Super Mario Bros.". They're not expensive and are worth the experience.

Finally, we're at the Multiplayer Mode, which is probably the biggest disappointment in the game. The previous title, "New Super Mario Bros. Wii", had the ability to have 4-player action, and while chaotic, it still was enjoyable. This time however, you're reduced to only having Mario and Luigi and the opportunity to have Mario go one way, and Luigi go the other in far distances was completely lost. You share the same screen once again like in "New Super Mario Bros. Wii". And while it may not be as chaotic, it still the weakest feature in the game.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 offers experiences for both beginners and experts, and staying solid to Mario's 2D platforming roots, this is a game you cannot miss. Sure, some potential was lost but I think that's just the 3DS's limitations.
  8. Sep 7, 2016
    It's a good game
    It's all about movement. I totally enjoyed the game yet wished the level bosses were a little tougher
    still this is one of my very favorites
  9. Jun 7, 2016
    Of course New Super Mario Bros. 2 is left with many gold tricks and abilities as of that's pretty much the only thing unique about this game, but the gameplay begins to pack a fresh pack of blocks from Nintendo.
  10. Mar 26, 2016
    This is one of the best 3DS games of all time. I mean it. The levels are short but well designed. The power-ups are brilliant. This is one of the best Mario games for a portable device. 10/10 :D. This game is beautiful on the level design.
  11. Nov 1, 2015
    This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard-This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard- nothing too exceptional about it. The multiplayer is fun to play with other people, and my wife and I beat it all the way through together. It does take some getting used to because you have two people on the screen and you have to watch out for each other, and the camera only follows one of you at a time, so one of you is just kinda there for support. I'm incredibly grateful that they included local multiplayer as a feature at all though because it was fun actually being able to play a videogame together that my wife enjoys. Overall, a good buy but nothing to get super ecstatic about. Expand
  12. Sep 21, 2015
    More of the same, but still another fun 2D Mario platformer. The additional goal of collecting 1 million coins in total is a highlight that kept me playing.
  13. Sep 13, 2015
    While some deride this game as formulaic and far too easy, this game flips the old 2D Mario platformer formula on its head by focusing on the coins. The coins, having long remained on the sidelines of Mario's quest to save Peach, suddenly take center stage in this game, in which your ultimate goal is to collect one million coins.

Not only does this challenge appeal greatly to my inner

Not only does this challenge appeal greatly to my inner completionist, but this new coin-based focus is inherent in every level in the game. While there are more overt signs of Mario's newfound greed, such as the addition of a few inventive, coin-based powerups, there's more to it than just that. The very level design is fundamentally different from that of NSBM2's predecessor's, encouraging exploration and replay in a way in which previous Mario outings never have been able. For example, if Mario walks to a specific part of the level - for example, a spot underneath a bridge he might have normally overlooked - a series of coins might reveal themselves nearby, a mechanic unique to this game. In addition, hidden blocks have invaded the Mushroom Kingdom, with most levels sporting what I imagine to be at least 3-4 blocks that don't reveal themselves until you hit them. The level designers over at Nintendo leave nothing to chance; every hidden secret is marked by a clue in the level. For example, if you see a section of the level that seems to serve no purpose, try jumping over there, because it may reveal some hidden coins. Is there a series of three standard blocks floating in midair, with nothing but space above them? Try jumping while atop the middle one; you may well find one of the many hidden blocks. It's touches like these, alongside the multitudes of secret areas - all of which rewarding you with shiny, gold coins - that make the levels in NSMB2 a joy to play many times over.

Are the environments and the music borrowing too heavily from Mario's previous handheld outing? Yes. But ultimately, the Mario games have never been about the graphics or music for me. For me, Mario has always been the joy of discovering all the clever little secrets in every well-designed level and guiding that happy little plumber through a giant turtle's medieval attempts at home security to save his off-again, on-again princess girlfriend. In that respect, NSMB2 is a complete success, and with unparalleled replay value and a relatively low price, I can't recommend this game highly enough to lovers of platformers.
  14. Aug 26, 2015
    A fantastic addition to the New Super Mario Bros series! This game is awesome! People say that this is a bad game because it is just the first New Super Mario Bros game but with a lot of coins added in. That is not true! This game is different and fantastic! The levels are new and still very creative, the graphics are better than the first game's graphics, the music is still catchy andA fantastic addition to the New Super Mario Bros series! This game is awesome! People say that this is a bad game because it is just the first New Super Mario Bros game but with a lot of coins added in. That is not true! This game is different and fantastic! The levels are new and still very creative, the graphics are better than the first game's graphics, the music is still catchy and classically Mario, the game play is awesome, and the coins… Oh the coins! There are so many coins to collect! Billions of coins! Literally! This game is so fun! Expand
  15. Aug 11, 2015
    So, what do I have to say about this game? One word: Masterful.
  16. Aug 5, 2015
    I thought it was really fun! It was entertaining and a little challenging. And I couldn't find a single glitch, someone said it was glitchy but it isn't.
  17. Jul 23, 2015
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a really fun and vibrant platformer for the 3DS. The game is filled with nostalgia and charm that we've grown to expect from Nintendo in recent years. NSMB2 is not the best installment in the NSMB series, but it scratches the itch for those who have a constant urge for more Mario. With the exception of the coin grabbing elements that are unique to this titleNew Super Mario Bros. 2 is a really fun and vibrant platformer for the 3DS. The game is filled with nostalgia and charm that we've grown to expect from Nintendo in recent years. NSMB2 is not the best installment in the NSMB series, but it scratches the itch for those who have a constant urge for more Mario. With the exception of the coin grabbing elements that are unique to this title (and don't add too much to gameplay or concept), NSMB2 feels like a direct port from NSMBWii. That's not necessarily a bad thing for a handheld Mario game. If there was something else to make NSMB2 stand out I'd give it a 10, but since it's reliving previous successes (although very fun), I'd say this game is a solid 9. Expand
  18. Jun 28, 2015
    Its a solid sequel that I feel is well deserved compared to the Wii U version. It gave me a way more lot of challenge that Super Mario 3D Land man. It also has a lot of replay value I did not expect at all. the coin collection also makes it worth picking up again and that's cool because its not following the typical Mario formula
  19. May 19, 2015
    Super Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds anSuper Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds an emphasis on collecting coins, the box itself asking if you can make it to 1 million. As the coins were always quite unnecessary, but still compelling to collect, this adds an interesting mechanic, which many new powerups pouring coins out of enemies or even out of Mario's head. The only complaint I would make, which to be fair is the same complaint you could make about any Mario game of the last 10 years, and indeed many Nintendo franchises including Donkey Kong Country Returns, is that you have WAY too many lives. I am on World 3, and have almost 200 lives thanks in part to gaining a life every 100 coins as usual, and with anywhere from 500 to 1000 coins in each level you soon build up a vast backlog of extras. This doesn't detract from the sheer joy of the game, but it does remove a lot of the challenge that has existed since the very first games in the series. Graphically this is a nice upgrade from the previous DS title, and the 3D as always adds a nice depth to the levels. The music is largely taken from the first game too, with the enemies dancing to emphasised points in the tunes, which I always enjoyed. Well worth a purchase, this is a lot of fun and deserves to be in any fan's collection. Expand
  20. Mar 21, 2015
    Just as amazing as the first one!

PROS
    -Graphics
    -Secrets to explore
    -Challenging gameplay

CONS
    -Story is a little dry .
  21. Mar 20, 2015
    It's a good game for the time. Such a gold rush. Collecting 1 million coins is just insane. New power-ups would've helped but maybe not much. The 3D effects are shallow until you get to the Dry Bowser level. It makes me wish that we're just as rich as Mario and Luigi. I highly recommend getting this game if you haven't played the first one.
  22. Mar 12, 2015
    This is a great NSMB game. My 3rd favourite one. The graphics are great for 3DS. The levels have good designs. The Koopaling fights are awesome. The controls work very well. New Super Mario Bros 2 is awesome and you should definitely get the game.
  23. Mar 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very good game Nintendo has made; it is one of my favourites of all time. The controls are great, the graphics are great overall and for 3DS,The story and Characters are great, the bosses are awesome. This is more like a Super Mario Wourld because of Reznor and the Koopalings. My favourite Koopaling is Roy or Bully Koopa, even though he is pink, he acts like me. Buy this game and New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U if you haven't already. Seriously, this game is insanely fun. Expand
  24. Jan 12, 2015
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (or as I like to call it New Super Mario Bros. Wii 1.5) is the third installment in the New Mario series but it's not all new. In fact, it's the most unoriginal installment.

NSMB2 rips all of its music straight from its console predecessor. There's not a single new track in the game. That is, unless you're counting some extra vocals in the music. The world map and overall feel of the game is also the exact same as the Wii iteration. That's not to say it's a bad thing but I was hoping for a bit more originality. This is the biggest problem with the game: it's not enough new, it's too much old...so its title basically makes no sense whatsoever.

As with all Mario games, the level design is great and it never actually gets boring. The difficulty is also more balanced in this game than the others. The first New Super Mario was too easy while the Wii version was a tad too hard. NSMB2 is just right, thanks to its new coin gimmick (more on that later). I never found myself getting tired of the levels and I was always eager to go to the next. I still don't like the idea of wasting your Star Coins on extra levels though. Super Mario 3D Land had handled that issue perfectly.

The Koopalings are back though Bowser Jr. has a strange absence. Their fights are strikingly similar to the Wii version but to change the mood up a bit, Reznor from Super Mario World has been added as the fortress boss. The Raccoon Leaf from Mario 3 also makes a comeback complete with the outfit and P-Meter. It's nice to see this beloved power-up make a return. I find it to be superior to the Tanooki Leaf, which is basically the same thing without a P-Meter.

The main feature in NSMB2 is the focus on coins. To quote Scott Moffitt at E3 2012, it's "all about the gold." This is strange as coins never really had much of a point in Mario games (unless you count the occasional earning a 1-up) but it did make the game somewhat easier. It always gave me a sense of satisfaction to collect a lot of coins at once though I never did reach a million.

Overall, New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels like a bit of a rehash of the Wii iteration in the franchise but it has enough new things to keep me coming back. It's a great portable experience.
  25. Dec 29, 2014
    I can't believe people give COD a 10, but give this an average score. The game is just a Mario side scroller, and you can't beat that. This game proves you don't need guns and men screaming "FIRE FIRE BREAKER NINER ALPHA CHARLIE REMOVE KEBAB" but a nice sidescroller is good once in a while.
  26. Nov 11, 2014
    This game was so easy until the last level in which I just became so annoyed. The part where you have to climb whilst Bowser's destroying the platforms is such a struggle. But still a great game with updated graphics.
  27. Jul 27, 2014
    Probably my favorite in the "New Super Mario Bros." series. The platforming is solid and tight, and the emphasis on coin collecting with the million-coin challenge adds quite a bit of replay value. I love the graphics and music, and the Gold Flower is among the very best (if not OP) power-ups in the entire series. One of the best titles for 3DS!
  28. Jun 18, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros 2 sticks to the guns in true saga-type fashion, popular with eastern audiences. Improvements over the original include brandishing the highly successful power-ups and bosses established in 1988 in Super Mario Bros 3, such as the raccoon suit and Koopalings- and fairly less obscurity and trial-and-error than its forerunner.
  29. Jun 13, 2014
    this game gets more hate than it deserves, even when its similar to new super Mario bros on the Nintendo ds, it does adds a new layer of fun with the coin collecting mechanic, now you have to get 1 million, this coin collecting thing adds replay value as well as a new way to approach platforming, the level design its really superb, fun, addictive challenging, star coins are harder to getthis game gets more hate than it deserves, even when its similar to new super Mario bros on the Nintendo ds, it does adds a new layer of fun with the coin collecting mechanic, now you have to get 1 million, this coin collecting thing adds replay value as well as a new way to approach platforming, the level design its really superb, fun, addictive challenging, star coins are harder to get in this game, even harder than in super Mario 3d land, graphical wise some models are reminiscent of new super mario bros on the nintendo ds, but sometimes it makes up with some details, and also the coins and the golden mario power up looks very nice, major fail is the fact that the 3d effect doesnt work at all, it even makes it worst since the backgrounds do blur when the effect is on, the second best plataform adventure on the nintendo 3ds, must have if you like mario and plataform games Expand
  30. Jun 1, 2014
    "New Super Mario Bros. 2" was my first 3DS game! This is yet another fun Mario game. The worlds are diverse and fun to play through, and there are many secrets to find. The story is the usual bland "Princess gets kidnapped" Mario scenario, but it's made up for in the gameplay. The graphics are colourful and nice. The enemies can be annoying in they're attack routines, but are fun to step"New Super Mario Bros. 2" was my first 3DS game! This is yet another fun Mario game. The worlds are diverse and fun to play through, and there are many secrets to find. The story is the usual bland "Princess gets kidnapped" Mario scenario, but it's made up for in the gameplay. The graphics are colourful and nice. The enemies can be annoying in they're attack routines, but are fun to step on never the less. The music is catchy. Finally, the level design is smart, and is a good balance of hard, and easy. The ghost houses can be quite cryptic though. The boss battles can be fun, but they're painfully easy. The final boss, Bowser, may be extremely similar to other final boss fights (generally with the man himself, Bowser) in previous Mario games, but Bowser's battle is still very good. This game would have gotten a nine from me, had it not been for the white tanooki suit. This suit basically shows up if you keep dying in a level. It makes you invincible, you can fly, and it looks stylish...at least for a tanooki suit. The big issue I have with it, is that it takes all the difficulty out of a hard level. This makes the game generally easy to beat if you keep dying. In the end, it's still a great game, and sucked me in from the start. Expand

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Long-lasting and entertaining Mario-platformer has got a new spirit thanks to coin collecting but its design is nothing to be proud of. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't really all that new anymore. What you get is basically the same game as the first one for the Nintendo DS, but with less engaging levels, fewer surprises in terms of power-ups and gameplay, and a boring gimmick set on capturing your inner kleptomaniac.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2's tricks may be old, but they are still some pretty darn good tricks. Length is one of the game's rare shortcomings. [Sept 2012]