New Super Mario Bros. 2 3DS

7.2

1. Aug 24, 2012
    It's been a really long time since I've played a Mario game, and after playing this I'm ready to get back into Mario. The game is fantastic and, as always, has fantastic gameplay, graphics, and sound. There is a new emphasis on collecting coins as they are pretty much everywhere. It's much less challenging than other Mario games, making easier for less skilled gamers to get into, and ifIt's been a really long time since I've played a Mario game, and after playing this I'm ready to get back into Mario. The game is fantastic and, as always, has fantastic gameplay, graphics, and sound. There is a new emphasis on collecting coins as they are pretty much everywhere. It's much less challenging than other Mario games, making easier for less skilled gamers to get into, and if you die a lot on one level you'll get the super tanooki suit that will make you almost completely invincible (you'll still die in lava and pits), and while I enjoyed the easier gameplay (I'm finally able to beat a Mario game XD) I feel like this might turn away hardcore side scroller fans who enjoy the challenge that the older Mario games brought, because they'll no doubt blow through this in no time at all. There's also a Coin Rush mode you play for high scores. One thing that disappointed me about the game is how it really didn't take advantage of the 3DS features, you've got some stuff that works with Street Pass, but the 3D effect the system has makes the beautiful backgrounds of the game blurry and really just doesn't benefit the game at all so you really don't want to play this game with it turned on, which is a real disappointment considering this is a 3DS exclusive and therefore should have great 3D effects. Sure the game could have been longer and tougher, but it's still a fantastic side scroller for you 3DS. Expand
  2. Jun 7, 2016
    Of course New Super Mario Bros. 2 is left with many gold tricks and abilities as of that's pretty much the only thing unique about this game, but the gameplay begins to pack a fresh pack of blocks from Nintendo.
  3. Aug 19, 2012
    Its my 250th game review on metacritic! Personally, I find NSMB2 to be an overall better package than the merely okay Super Mario 3D Land, and thats saying a lot considering that I usually prefer the 3D games in the series more than the sidescrollers. Sure, you may complain and say that its the same game, but you can be assured that the product here is of high quality. A few new powerups,Its my 250th game review on metacritic! Personally, I find NSMB2 to be an overall better package than the merely okay Super Mario 3D Land, and thats saying a lot considering that I usually prefer the 3D games in the series more than the sidescrollers. Sure, you may complain and say that its the same game, but you can be assured that the product here is of high quality. A few new powerups, an addicting coin rush mode, and just the right difficulty is enough to make this one of the best handheld games of the year. My only criticism is that the overused "Mario saves Peach from Bowser" story is still being used to this day. They need to change the story formula a bit. Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2016
    This one feels the same as the ds one but little bit more this version lacks a lot but still is good but I can't bare the mistakes it has to offer. This game didn't need a rehash. The 3rd one should of.
  5. Sep 2, 2012
    Enjoyable platforming but this is essentially the same game that you've played before on the DS and the Wii. Nintendo seemed to be releasing this game just to cash in. Well, since the past two installments sold in excess of 20 million units each, you can't really blame Nintendo for releasing this sequel.
  6. Aug 20, 2012
    There's nothing new with this Mario game. It's pretty much the exact same game New Super Mario Bros. for the DS was a few years ago, just with a greater emphasis on the Coin Collecting aspect. That doesn't make it a bad game, far from it. It however is not as good as Super Mario Land 3D was last year as it doesn't exactly take advantage of the systems capabilities. This game is pretty muchThere's nothing new with this Mario game. It's pretty much the exact same game New Super Mario Bros. for the DS was a few years ago, just with a greater emphasis on the Coin Collecting aspect. That doesn't make it a bad game, far from it. It however is not as good as Super Mario Land 3D was last year as it doesn't exactly take advantage of the systems capabilities. This game is pretty much a standard Mario game at this point. If you've played one of the 2D games in the past, you'll find nothing new here. That also means it's still a solid platformer that you can still play in spurts, which is nice to play a level during a 5 min break at work or something then go back to what you were doing without worrying about not being able to save your game. So it's a decent game but it's nothing special at this point for Mario. I'd recommend the other Mario game for the 3DS before this one but this is still a game that people will enjoy. Expand
  7. Jul 23, 2013
    "New Super Mario Bros. 2" may be awfully familiar to its past Mario games, but nevertheless, the game is still able to interest you with its new levels and new themes. With better animation than the previous game and its new format in 3D, "New Super Mario Bros. 2" will certainly be a wonderful addition to your 3DS games.
  8. Jan 12, 2015
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (or as I like to call it New Super Mario Bros. Wii 1.5) is the third installment in the New Mario series but it's not all new. In fact, it's the most unoriginal installment.

NSMB2 rips all of its music straight from its console predecessor. There's not a single new track in the game. That is, unless you're counting some extra vocals in the music. The world map and overall feel of the game is also the exact same as the Wii iteration. That's not to say it's a bad thing but I was hoping for a bit more originality. This is the biggest problem with the game: it's not enough new, it's too much old...so its title basically makes no sense whatsoever.

As with all Mario games, the level design is great and it never actually gets boring. The difficulty is also more balanced in this game than the others. The first New Super Mario was too easy while the Wii version was a tad too hard. NSMB2 is just right, thanks to its new coin gimmick (more on that later). I never found myself getting tired of the levels and I was always eager to go to the next. I still don't like the idea of wasting your Star Coins on extra levels though. Super Mario 3D Land had handled that issue perfectly.

The Koopalings are back though Bowser Jr. has a strange absence. Their fights are strikingly similar to the Wii version but to change the mood up a bit, Reznor from Super Mario World has been added as the fortress boss. The Raccoon Leaf from Mario 3 also makes a comeback complete with the outfit and P-Meter. It's nice to see this beloved power-up make a return. I find it to be superior to the Tanooki Leaf, which is basically the same thing without a P-Meter.

The main feature in NSMB2 is the focus on coins. To quote Scott Moffitt at E3 2012, it's "all about the gold." This is strange as coins never really had much of a point in Mario games (unless you count the occasional earning a 1-up) but it did make the game somewhat easier. It always gave me a sense of satisfaction to collect a lot of coins at once though I never did reach a million.

Overall, New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels like a bit of a rehash of the Wii iteration in the franchise but it has enough new things to keep me coming back. It's a great portable experience.
  9. Mar 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very good game Nintendo has made; it is one of my favourites of all time. The controls are great, the graphics are great overall and for 3DS,The story and Characters are great, the bosses are awesome. This is more like a Super Mario Wourld because of Reznor and the Koopalings. My favourite Koopaling is Roy or Bully Koopa, even though he is pink, he acts like me. Buy this game and New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U if you haven't already. Seriously, this game is insanely fun. Expand
  10. Apr 1, 2013
    It was just over too fast. And then right when I started getting into the coin-collecting option, that got boring; discover the 2 secret worlds, finished them in one sitting; Started finding the large coins, had fun for a while, found most of them (and the ones left are on levels I hate). And, there's no way a game that is this similiar to games which I've been playing since the 80's canIt was just over too fast. And then right when I started getting into the coin-collecting option, that got boring; discover the 2 secret worlds, finished them in one sitting; Started finding the large coins, had fun for a while, found most of them (and the ones left are on levels I hate). And, there's no way a game that is this similiar to games which I've been playing since the 80's can possibly get a great score. Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2012
    I really enjoy this game, but I'm sad to see that Nintendo has reused graphics, sound effects and music from New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Even the final boss theme is recycled from the Wii game, which is inexcusable. Nintendo, please don't do what EA does with Madden; think of a more creative idea.
  12. Mar 21, 2015
    Just as amazing as the first one!

PROS
    -Graphics
    -Secrets to explore
    -Challenging gameplay

CONS
    -Story is a little dry .
  13. Oct 20, 2013
    While the coins add a new element to game play, it's not that different from New Super Mario Bros. Its alright on its own but it is disappointing to wait 6 years to play a game that could have just been dlc.
  14. Apr 19, 2015
    I enjoyed this game very much, I just found it to be too easy. After playing some of the other Mario games and seeing how difficult they are, I'm actually a little disappointed with this game's difficulty. Other than that though, it's more or less perfect in every other aspect, but it is obviously a very easy game. If you're a beginner to the genre I recommend, but if you're a pro maybe goI enjoyed this game very much, I just found it to be too easy. After playing some of the other Mario games and seeing how difficult they are, I'm actually a little disappointed with this game's difficulty. Other than that though, it's more or less perfect in every other aspect, but it is obviously a very easy game. If you're a beginner to the genre I recommend, but if you're a pro maybe go for one of the older games. Expand
  15. Mar 12, 2015
    This is a great NSMB game. My 3rd favourite one. The graphics are great for 3DS. The levels have good designs. The Koopaling fights are awesome. The controls work very well. New Super Mario Bros 2 is awesome and you should definitely get the game.
  16. Feb 3, 2013
    What a shame.. I've waited 6 years for new super Mario bros 2 and this is what we got... Nintendo let a lot of people down with this game. The bad level design and amount of bugs as well as other things make this no of the worse Mario games to date.
  17. Nov 1, 2015
    This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard-This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard- nothing too exceptional about it. The multiplayer is fun to play with other people, and my wife and I beat it all the way through together. It does take some getting used to because you have two people on the screen and you have to watch out for each other, and the camera only follows one of you at a time, so one of you is just kinda there for support. I'm incredibly grateful that they included local multiplayer as a feature at all though because it was fun actually being able to play a videogame together that my wife enjoys. Overall, a good buy but nothing to get super ecstatic about. Expand
  18. Mar 14, 2013
    There's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be evenThere's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be even more enjoyable if it was a Super Mario 3-like answer to the first DS New Super Mario Bros. Nevertheless, as a 3D rehash of the classic Mario formula, it works in the most important way: being a very fun game that should get you hooked. Expand
  19. Jul 5, 2015
    More of the same thing on another handheld. Well, if it aint broke - don't fix it, right? Well, in this case, I'd say doing absolutely nothing but adding a ton of coins into levels isn't really making it another game worth playing. I mean, yeah the level design is pretty good, and the levels are all nice looking (NOT in 3D), but the 3D effect blurs the beautiful backgrounds and the sameMore of the same thing on another handheld. Well, if it aint broke - don't fix it, right? Well, in this case, I'd say doing absolutely nothing but adding a ton of coins into levels isn't really making it another game worth playing. I mean, yeah the level design is pretty good, and the levels are all nice looking (NOT in 3D), but the 3D effect blurs the beautiful backgrounds and the same rehashed music is there. Since I'm not a big fan of rehashed music that takes up at least 50% of the soundtrack, I was particularly disappointed with this title. On the other hand, I applaud nintendo for giving DLC a try and not killing us with the deals. Also, it's just pure platforming, so you have to buy this if you're REALLY into that genre. If not, then consider it!
    Gameplay: 8.5/10
    Story: 3.5/10
    Music: 5/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 5/10
    Overall: 7/10
  20. May 19, 2015
    Super Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds anSuper Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds an emphasis on collecting coins, the box itself asking if you can make it to 1 million. As the coins were always quite unnecessary, but still compelling to collect, this adds an interesting mechanic, which many new powerups pouring coins out of enemies or even out of Mario's head. The only complaint I would make, which to be fair is the same complaint you could make about any Mario game of the last 10 years, and indeed many Nintendo franchises including Donkey Kong Country Returns, is that you have WAY too many lives. I am on World 3, and have almost 200 lives thanks in part to gaining a life every 100 coins as usual, and with anywhere from 500 to 1000 coins in each level you soon build up a vast backlog of extras. This doesn't detract from the sheer joy of the game, but it does remove a lot of the challenge that has existed since the very first games in the series. Graphically this is a nice upgrade from the previous DS title, and the 3D as always adds a nice depth to the levels. The music is largely taken from the first game too, with the enemies dancing to emphasised points in the tunes, which I always enjoyed. Well worth a purchase, this is a lot of fun and deserves to be in any fan's collection. Expand
  21. Jul 18, 2013
    First, let me make something clear. This is not an entirely new Mario game. Yes, there is a coin gimmick, but other than that it’s virtually the same- 8 worlds, including, a plain world, a jungle world, a volcano world e.t.c.
    There are some ‘new’ power-ups. There’s the racoon suit, oh wait that’s not new, it’s from super Mario bros 3. This lets you fly and glide. Then there’s the gold flower, which is new, except it isn’t- it’s basically a fire flower than can also turn blocks into coins upon contact with the fire. And as usual, the good ol’ fire flower returns. Not Nintendo at its most creative, but the design of the levels is great, and that’s what keeps you wanting more, even though it is too easy. You can play through the whole game with two players, but player 2 will need another copy of the game.
    Then there’s the coin gimmick. Basically all the levels in New Super Mario Bros 2 are bursting with coins and different ways to get them. This is where Nintendo get creative, placing all sorts of new ways to collect coins, and that’s where that rare gold flower comes in useful too. Just like any other Mario game, Bowser kidnaps Peach, and saving her is the goal. As usual, on top of that is star coins- three in each level, you know the story by now, and also secret exits. But now there’s also the goal of collecting 1 million coins. This takes a long time, but levels are overloaded with coins, and the more skill you have, the faster you’ll reach the goal of 1 million coins. What’s the prize, I hear you ask. I can tell you: a new main menu screen. That’s it. Coin redemption can be found in coin rush mode, though, when you play three randomly selected courses in a row and try to collect as many coins as you can, and reach the goal in a 100-second time limit. One death and it’s game over. You can trade high scores via streetpass, but there are no online leaderboards, which is disappointing. However, coin rush is a simple, addictive experience and I’m surprised nobody’s thought of it before.
    In conclusion, this is the first Mario platformer ever that isn’t essential. I’d recommend it, but it stays too true to Mario’s roots.
  22. Apr 24, 2013
    All Mario/Luigi games on the 3DS have ranged from average to just bad. This game is in the bad section. The new Mario games are turning into COD. a new game coming out every year. In fact, It is even worse at this point. New Mario 2 and New Mario u came out the exact same year. Anyway. The game is bad. Its ugly, the level design is pathetic. The music is rehashed with even more wahs andAll Mario/Luigi games on the 3DS have ranged from average to just bad. This game is in the bad section. The new Mario games are turning into COD. a new game coming out every year. In fact, It is even worse at this point. New Mario 2 and New Mario u came out the exact same year. Anyway. The game is bad. Its ugly, the level design is pathetic. The music is rehashed with even more wahs and bahs. Level designs are cliche. Don't play this game. Don't give Nintendo your money Expand
  23. Jun 30, 2014
    Not really a BAD game, but it could be better. I think I'm just comparing it to the perfection of Super Mario 3D Land, so I had high expectations (I know that's a weird comparison, but c'mon, they're both Mario platformer games) The secrets are really cryptic, its too easy, and the graphics aren't that nice either. I also HATE how there is only 6 worlds instead of 8, even 3D Land had 8Not really a BAD game, but it could be better. I think I'm just comparing it to the perfection of Super Mario 3D Land, so I had high expectations (I know that's a weird comparison, but c'mon, they're both Mario platformer games) The secrets are really cryptic, its too easy, and the graphics aren't that nice either. I also HATE how there is only 6 worlds instead of 8, even 3D Land had 8 worlds, and even 16 special worlds. Despite all of that, this game is still better than ok. Expand
  24. Jun 28, 2015
    Its a solid sequel that I feel is well deserved compared to the Wii U version. It gave me a way more lot of challenge that Super Mario 3D Land man. It also has a lot of replay value I did not expect at all. the coin collection also makes it worth picking up again and that's cool because its not following the typical Mario formula
  25. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is pretty easy compared to other New Super Mario games, and plays it pretty safe by not innovating on much, but coin rush is addicting. despite the low difficulty of the main story, its still fun. I'm a sucker for platformers and mario games in general, so I really enjoyed it.
  26. Mar 11, 2013
    his game is impressive I played it till the very end and the amount of secret stuff is enormous. The 3D effect should be like that, no It is blurry, because it's the background whom you actually don't completely see No problem here I enjoy the DLC's they brought to the eShop Thanks Nintendo
  27. Aug 11, 2015
    So, what do I have to say about this game? One word: Masterful.
  28. Feb 16, 2014
    Solid enough but this is a lazy lazy game as far as trying to push the series up. This game is a cash in by Nintendo. It's more of the same. If that's what you want go for it. But I found this disappointing
  29. Aug 26, 2013
    A very solid entry in to the New Super Mario Bros. Series it is probably my third favorite and what I really like about it is it focusses the most on the single player mode.
  30. Sep 25, 2012
    I have completed it all it is fun being Luigi and there is challenges along the way it's fun taking down the bad guys but it's also fun to be golden Mario coin rush is the best thing that's fun

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Long-lasting and entertaining Mario-platformer has got a new spirit thanks to coin collecting but its design is nothing to be proud of. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't really all that new anymore. What you get is basically the same game as the first one for the Nintendo DS, but with less engaging levels, fewer surprises in terms of power-ups and gameplay, and a boring gimmick set on capturing your inner kleptomaniac.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2's tricks may be old, but they are still some pretty darn good tricks. Length is one of the game's rare shortcomings. [Sept 2012]