7.3

1. Feb 5, 2013
    This is a solid 2D side scrolling entry into the New Super Mario Bros. franchise. The level design and difficulty are not top notch however. It doesn't implement the 3D of the 3DS very well. It's charm shines in nostalgia and gameplay mechanics. The bonus downloadable course packs give it a large amount of replay value and much needed challenge. Virtually no improvement from itsThis is a solid 2D side scrolling entry into the New Super Mario Bros. franchise. The level design and difficulty are not top notch however. It doesn't implement the 3D of the 3DS very well. It's charm shines in nostalgia and gameplay mechanics. The bonus downloadable course packs give it a large amount of replay value and much needed challenge. Virtually no improvement from its predecessor but its still quite a bit of fun. Expand
  2. Apr 30, 2013
    I like the golden flower because if you miss the enemy and hit you a wall behind it, it will die automatically and you will get 5 coins instead of 1. The goal is to get a score of one million coins. I like fighting Bowser and the powerups are good.
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    Coins, TONS of coins to collect. With a bunch of coins worldwide collected, we will be rewarded like free coin rush packs. Because of this, there is a reason why we should collect coins. Collecting coins is one major goal. Saving Princess Peach is another major goal. Getting tons of coins will be difficult, but saving the princess should be our first major goal. The levels we played areCoins, TONS of coins to collect. With a bunch of coins worldwide collected, we will be rewarded like free coin rush packs. Because of this, there is a reason why we should collect coins. Collecting coins is one major goal. Saving Princess Peach is another major goal. Getting tons of coins will be difficult, but saving the princess should be our first major goal. The levels we played are easy, so this game is for beginners. The coin rush mode is more like a challenge. Coin collectors would enjoy coin rush. If you only like challenges, pick another game, or you will find yourself playing a game for beginners. Expand
  4. Jul 27, 2014
    Probably my favorite in the "New Super Mario Bros." series. The platforming is solid and tight, and the emphasis on coin collecting with the million-coin challenge adds quite a bit of replay value. I love the graphics and music, and the Gold Flower is among the very best (if not OP) power-ups in the entire series. One of the best titles for 3DS!
  5. Aug 26, 2013
    A very solid entry in to the New Super Mario Bros. Series it is probably my third favorite and what I really like about it is it focusses the most on the single player mode.
  6. Nov 26, 2013
    While it's more or less the same as its DS predecessor, it is pretty fun to focus the gameplay on collecting coins. I had fun with that at least. Although I'd understand it being too similar for some, it kind of is.
  7. Dec 29, 2014
    I can't believe people give COD a 10, but give this an average score. The game is just a Mario side scroller, and you can't beat that. This game proves you don't need guns and men screaming "FIRE FIRE BREAKER NINER ALPHA CHARLIE REMOVE KEBAB" but a nice sidescroller is good once in a while.
  8. May 24, 2014
    Wow now this is underrated I had great expectations for this and loved it. It's like super Mario bros 3 but with more coins I was sad that it wasn't very high but what do you get I give this a nice ten
  9. Mar 12, 2015
    This is a great NSMB game. My 3rd favourite one. The graphics are great for 3DS. The levels have good designs. The Koopaling fights are awesome. The controls work very well. New Super Mario Bros 2 is awesome and you should definitely get the game.
  10. Mar 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very good game Nintendo has made; it is one of my favourites of all time. The controls are great, the graphics are great overall and for 3DS,The story and Characters are great, the bosses are awesome. This is more like a Super Mario Wourld because of Reznor and the Koopalings. My favourite Koopaling is Roy or Bully Koopa, even though he is pink, he acts like me. Buy this game and New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U if you haven't already. Seriously, this game is insanely fun. Expand
  11. Sep 7, 2016
    It's a good game
    It's all about movement. I totally enjoyed the game yet wished the level bosses were a little tougher
    still this is one of my very favorites
  12. Jun 18, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros 2 sticks to the guns in true saga-type fashion, popular with eastern audiences. Improvements over the original include brandishing the highly successful power-ups and bosses established in 1988 in Super Mario Bros 3, such as the raccoon suit and Koopalings- and fairly less obscurity and trial-and-error than its forerunner.
  13. May 19, 2015
    Super Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds anSuper Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds an emphasis on collecting coins, the box itself asking if you can make it to 1 million. As the coins were always quite unnecessary, but still compelling to collect, this adds an interesting mechanic, which many new powerups pouring coins out of enemies or even out of Mario's head. The only complaint I would make, which to be fair is the same complaint you could make about any Mario game of the last 10 years, and indeed many Nintendo franchises including Donkey Kong Country Returns, is that you have WAY too many lives. I am on World 3, and have almost 200 lives thanks in part to gaining a life every 100 coins as usual, and with anywhere from 500 to 1000 coins in each level you soon build up a vast backlog of extras. This doesn't detract from the sheer joy of the game, but it does remove a lot of the challenge that has existed since the very first games in the series. Graphically this is a nice upgrade from the previous DS title, and the 3D as always adds a nice depth to the levels. The music is largely taken from the first game too, with the enemies dancing to emphasised points in the tunes, which I always enjoyed. Well worth a purchase, this is a lot of fun and deserves to be in any fan's collection. Expand
  14. Jan 25, 2013
    Although the New Super Mario Bros series is getting a lot of hate for being too much of the same, the simple coin idea featured in 2 is just enough to make the game seem a little more satisfying. Since most new Mario games are so easy, I never cared much to collect coins. Watching that meter go up over time as you play and coin rush to beat your friends records is an interesting experienceAlthough the New Super Mario Bros series is getting a lot of hate for being too much of the same, the simple coin idea featured in 2 is just enough to make the game seem a little more satisfying. Since most new Mario games are so easy, I never cared much to collect coins. Watching that meter go up over time as you play and coin rush to beat your friends records is an interesting experience in itself. Expand
  15. May 10, 2013
    From the developers of the Original "New Super Mario Bro's" We have this sequel, which takes place on the more powerful Son of it's predecessor, The Nintendo 3DS, At first glance, not much has changed, the same as usual Mario gameplay, But this game has more depth, more re-playability and more Mario action, there is no reason to not own this title, This is another 3DS Must own.

If I

If I have but one issue; It's the Dull boss battles and somewhat short game, but since the first time I slotted this into my 3DS, it's been played for over 60 hours! More than I've played OOT3D and Super Mario 3D Land! This is a great game! Despite some of the Harsh reviews.
  16. Nov 1, 2015
    This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard-This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard- nothing too exceptional about it. The multiplayer is fun to play with other people, and my wife and I beat it all the way through together. It does take some getting used to because you have two people on the screen and you have to watch out for each other, and the camera only follows one of you at a time, so one of you is just kinda there for support. I'm incredibly grateful that they included local multiplayer as a feature at all though because it was fun actually being able to play a videogame together that my wife enjoys. Overall, a good buy but nothing to get super ecstatic about. Expand
  17. Mar 20, 2015
    It's a good game for the time. Such a gold rush. Collecting 1 million coins is just insane. New power-ups would've helped but maybe not much. The 3D effects are shallow until you get to the Dry Bowser level. It makes me wish that we're just as rich as Mario and Luigi. I highly recommend getting this game if you haven't played the first one.
  18. Dec 28, 2012
    With the Super Mario series its easy to say the games are very repetitive but they do what they set out to do gameplay wise very well. New Super Mario Bros. 2 does just that and more by taking the traditional mario platforming and power ups that we all love and adding a new twist there is new incentive to get coins in this game. There is a meter that keeps track of your coins,a ring thatWith the Super Mario series its easy to say the games are very repetitive but they do what they set out to do gameplay wise very well. New Super Mario Bros. 2 does just that and more by taking the traditional mario platforming and power ups that we all love and adding a new twist there is new incentive to get coins in this game. There is a meter that keeps track of your coins,a ring that changes your enemy gold for a short period of time and when you kill them it adds to your coin tally and there's a coin flower that makes you gold (or platinum if your Luigi) and let's you shoot fireballs that when they hit enemies it also adds to your coin tally. While not overly impressive these features and the new coin rush mode to see how many coins you can get in a level before time runs out both add replay value to an otherwise VERY short game. If your a mario fan like me with a 3DS this one is a must have and while it is short and somewhat easy for seasoned players of the series it's fun gameplay,charming and colorful environments and good overall design are enough to keep you going back for more time and time again. Expand
  19. Jun 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game gives you the chance to understand how to play I mean that -if you download the DLC course packs in the Coin Rush mode- you will face the toughest levels ever in the history of the Super Mario Series and you will be able to play 30 more levels and try to get the highest score amount of coins by playing it as many times you want to boost the coins bar. Also, you earn achievements if you reach the total of 1,000,000 and 9,999,999 coins collected, which is an other reason to make you want play the game -achievements-. What's more, you enjoy for first time 3D game graphics in real, which is so influential! However, a disadvantage is that there are no mini games, like in the first New Super Mario Bros. Expand
  20. Mar 10, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is, like the other titles in the New Super Mario Bros. series, a great game but this one only has 6 worlds and three special worlds (Which are quite short). It also takes out all the new power-ups in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. However, it also adds a new one as well as two returning ones. The new one is the gold flower. It turns bricks into coins. The two returningNew Super Mario Bros. 2 is, like the other titles in the New Super Mario Bros. series, a great game but this one only has 6 worlds and three special worlds (Which are quite short). It also takes out all the new power-ups in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. However, it also adds a new one as well as two returning ones. The new one is the gold flower. It turns bricks into coins. The two returning ones are the mega mushroom (From New Super Mario Bros.) and the tanooki leaf (From Super Mario Bros. 3). Unfortunately, there are no new enemies and they took away some instead. Also, there is a new mode called coin rush. You pick a pack, then 3 courses are randomly chosen and then you get 100 seconds (In some cases 50 seconds) to complete the courses whilst collecting as much coins as you can. Overall, this is a great game but there isn't much new and it's a bit short. Expand
  21. Mar 14, 2013
    There's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be evenThere's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be even more enjoyable if it was a Super Mario 3-like answer to the first DS New Super Mario Bros. Nevertheless, as a 3D rehash of the classic Mario formula, it works in the most important way: being a very fun game that should get you hooked. Expand
  22. May 12, 2013
    I enjoyed the first NSMB, so when I heard there was a sequel, I had to buy it. Turns out, people had complained about the first game's lack of coins... well, this is what you get. COINS! COINS! COINS! The game is all about coins, and while it sounds repetitive, it's actually a fun little game. There are lots of secret levels, bonus worlds, and even shout-outs to older games.
    I can't speak
    I can't speak for the 3D, since I don't use it. But the graphics look good even in 2D mode, and there are no areas that require you to turn on the 3D. Overall, it's a great game for anyone: you can just pick it up and play, or you can sit for hours trying to unlock all the secret levels. So go out and buy it you won't be disappointed!
  23. Jul 23, 2013
    "New Super Mario Bros. 2" may be awfully familiar to its past Mario games, but nevertheless, the game is still able to interest you with its new levels and new themes. With better animation than the previous game and its new format in 3D, "New Super Mario Bros. 2" will certainly be a wonderful addition to your 3DS games.
  24. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is pretty easy compared to other New Super Mario games, and plays it pretty safe by not innovating on much, but coin rush is addicting. despite the low difficulty of the main story, its still fun. I'm a sucker for platformers and mario games in general, so I really enjoyed it.
  25. Nov 11, 2013
    This is the main reason that I bought a 3DS LL console cause I want to play this game since I had played the New Super 1 on NDSL, it's good that this series is more easier to play the cons is that this game do Not make strongly 3D visual effect.
  26. Apr 20, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a pretty average Mario game. Though i found the main gage small it has some replay value such as collecting 1.000.000 coins and getting Star Coins to unlock a new world, however this is kind of boring and repetitive. It doesn't introduces much to the series on my opinion.
  27. Mar 7, 2014
    Great co-op game with decent graphics. This is by far the first game I played with my girlfriend and both of us enjoyed it. The difficulty is definitely not easy, especially if you are playing co-op, as players would affect each other's movement as well as only one player is "controlling" the screen. And that is why I like this game. This is a great game to play with your beloved ones.
  28. Jun 1, 2014
    "New Super Mario Bros. 2" was my first 3DS game! This is yet another fun Mario game. The worlds are diverse and fun to play through, and there are many secrets to find. The story is the usual bland "Princess gets kidnapped" Mario scenario, but it's made up for in the gameplay. The graphics are colourful and nice. The enemies can be annoying in they're attack routines, but are fun to step"New Super Mario Bros. 2" was my first 3DS game! This is yet another fun Mario game. The worlds are diverse and fun to play through, and there are many secrets to find. The story is the usual bland "Princess gets kidnapped" Mario scenario, but it's made up for in the gameplay. The graphics are colourful and nice. The enemies can be annoying in they're attack routines, but are fun to step on never the less. The music is catchy. Finally, the level design is smart, and is a good balance of hard, and easy. The ghost houses can be quite cryptic though. The boss battles can be fun, but they're painfully easy. The final boss, Bowser, may be extremely similar to other final boss fights (generally with the man himself, Bowser) in previous Mario games, but Bowser's battle is still very good. This game would have gotten a nine from me, had it not been for the white tanooki suit. This suit basically shows up if you keep dying in a level. It makes you invincible, you can fly, and it looks stylish...at least for a tanooki suit. The big issue I have with it, is that it takes all the difficulty out of a hard level. This makes the game generally easy to beat if you keep dying. In the end, it's still a great game, and sucked me in from the start. Expand
  29. Jun 13, 2014
    this game gets more hate than it deserves, even when its similar to new super Mario bros on the Nintendo ds, it does adds a new layer of fun with the coin collecting mechanic, now you have to get 1 million, this coin collecting thing adds replay value as well as a new way to approach platforming, the level design its really superb, fun, addictive challenging, star coins are harder to getthis game gets more hate than it deserves, even when its similar to new super Mario bros on the Nintendo ds, it does adds a new layer of fun with the coin collecting mechanic, now you have to get 1 million, this coin collecting thing adds replay value as well as a new way to approach platforming, the level design its really superb, fun, addictive challenging, star coins are harder to get in this game, even harder than in super Mario 3d land, graphical wise some models are reminiscent of new super mario bros on the nintendo ds, but sometimes it makes up with some details, and also the coins and the golden mario power up looks very nice, major fail is the fact that the 3d effect doesnt work at all, it even makes it worst since the backgrounds do blur when the effect is on, the second best plataform adventure on the nintendo 3ds, must have if you like mario and plataform games Expand
  30. Oct 20, 2016
    An absolute handheld experience. As almost every mario platformer, it is amazing. Nintendo is just best in this segment and you will enjoy every single level. Sometimes you suffer, sometimes you are pround on yourself but game as a whole serves its purpose amazingly.
  31. Aug 19, 2012
    Really awesome game, i did not play the older New super Mario Bros., so this is new to me. Love the level design, music, and the new Coin Rush mode. I really like the hidden areas, and the boss battles too. The only problem i had was that the 3D didn't work well for the game, it just blurred out the background, and i would much rather see the the nice design for them instead. The otherReally awesome game, i did not play the older New super Mario Bros., so this is new to me. Love the level design, music, and the new Coin Rush mode. I really like the hidden areas, and the boss battles too. The only problem i had was that the 3D didn't work well for the game, it just blurred out the background, and i would much rather see the the nice design for them instead. The other thing i did not like was that it was WAYYYYY to easy to gain lives, and you gained the FAST! I like games that give me a challenge, not just fork over extra lives like there just random coins. I do plan on playing this for a long while, and collect everything, all on my new rd 3DS XL. ( which is also very awesome!) Collapse

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Long-lasting and entertaining Mario-platformer has got a new spirit thanks to coin collecting but its design is nothing to be proud of. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't really all that new anymore. What you get is basically the same game as the first one for the Nintendo DS, but with less engaging levels, fewer surprises in terms of power-ups and gameplay, and a boring gimmick set on capturing your inner kleptomaniac.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2's tricks may be old, but they are still some pretty darn good tricks. Length is one of the game's rare shortcomings. [Sept 2012]