7.1

1. Aug 19, 2012
    Its my 250th game review on metacritic! Personally, I find NSMB2 to be an overall better package than the merely okay Super Mario 3D Land, and thats saying a lot considering that I usually prefer the 3D games in the series more than the sidescrollers. Sure, you may complain and say that its the same game, but you can be assured that the product here is of high quality. A few new powerups,Its my 250th game review on metacritic! Personally, I find NSMB2 to be an overall better package than the merely okay Super Mario 3D Land, and thats saying a lot considering that I usually prefer the 3D games in the series more than the sidescrollers. Sure, you may complain and say that its the same game, but you can be assured that the product here is of high quality. A few new powerups, an addicting coin rush mode, and just the right difficulty is enough to make this one of the best handheld games of the year. My only criticism is that the overused "Mario saves Peach from Bowser" story is still being used to this day. They need to change the story formula a bit. Expand
  2. Aug 23, 2012
    This game is just a PAINFULLY blatant rehash of all the other NSMB games with a coin gimmick. Honestly, I expected a lot more from a Mario game and I seriously hope Nintendo learns their lesson with this title.
  3. Aug 19, 2012
    I have never been a massive fan of the Mario games, with the exception of Kart which is just awesome. But when I heard about the new role collecting coins has in the game, I was intrigued. And yeah, its basically the same as every other side scrolling Mario title ever, and if that's all it was, I couldn't give it over 5 or 6. But when you start raking in the coins, coming up with newI have never been a massive fan of the Mario games, with the exception of Kart which is just awesome. But when I heard about the new role collecting coins has in the game, I was intrigued. And yeah, its basically the same as every other side scrolling Mario title ever, and if that's all it was, I couldn't give it over 5 or 6. But when you start raking in the coins, coming up with new ways to maximise coin to time spent ratio; it's extraordinarily hard to explain how addictive such a simple mechanic can be. Expand
  4. Aug 30, 2012
    This game, is the worst proper mario game, since mario 2. The world designs and the music are incredibly similar to the other NSMB games. The coin gimmick is pointless, since the coins dont actually give you anything other than a different title screen. The gameplay is fun, but its still the same mario game we've experienced for over 20 years.
    To make the game better i would suggest
    To make the game better i would suggest composing a new soundtrack. try making some good original environments that actually make use of the 3DS's 3D effect and also try and do something new with the mario license. Develop the story mode a little. Add something to make coin collecting worth something, maybe do what the Lego games are doing and make it so that you use coins to buy more characters or special items.
  5. Aug 21, 2012
    This is really the definition of fun, through the entire game you are experiencing pure joy until the sad day when you beat the game and think well this really was a one in a life time experience, though it won't because thanks to the dlc you could get more juice out of the awesome gem called NSMB2.
  6. Sep 26, 2012
    After Playing for about a week, the game seems to be nothing more than one of Nintendo's marketing ploys. "Coins, Coins and more Coins" I get it! Mario's world revolves around coins as currency and gaining extra lives-which by the time I type this I have over 500- so you can complete the game! But here's the thing, Mario isn't all that greedy. Mario is mostly a hero that saves the girl inAfter Playing for about a week, the game seems to be nothing more than one of Nintendo's marketing ploys. "Coins, Coins and more Coins" I get it! Mario's world revolves around coins as currency and gaining extra lives-which by the time I type this I have over 500- so you can complete the game! But here's the thing, Mario isn't all that greedy. Mario is mostly a hero that saves the girl in the end. I think that maybe this game would have been more appropriate if Wario was the protagonist instead. Wario Land's game play was always about "It's good to be Greedy" and "You have infinite lives". I mostly had to look up how to get to the secret exits, I usually found the secrets in Super Mario World easily and unexpectedly; now I needed help even finding the Star coins. I'd still be willing to see a new Wario Land game, the amount of coins in the old games were limited and it seems that the counter in New Super Mario Bros. 2 is in the millions. Expand
  7. Aug 24, 2012
    NSMB2 is a very fun game, there'a no denying that. But it's probably the laziest Mario game so far. All of the music is just stuff from the wii game with added "bah"'s here and there, and the only new boss fight is used in every tower in the game (by the way, it's a toned down easier super mario world boss). It also feels a lot less substantial than the DS version; no 2 player battle mode,NSMB2 is a very fun game, there'a no denying that. But it's probably the laziest Mario game so far. All of the music is just stuff from the wii game with added "bah"'s here and there, and the only new boss fight is used in every tower in the game (by the way, it's a toned down easier super mario world boss). It also feels a lot less substantial than the DS version; no 2 player battle mode, no minigames, only 6 worlds, and the bonus worlds are small collections of levels, as opposed to full worlds like in the DS one. The new powerups are a lot of fun. The gold flower and gold block are surpzizingly satisfying, and it was nice of Nintendo to let us fly as Raccoon Mario again. One thing that saddened me about the new powerups is the fact the Mega Mushroom can only be used once or twice. You can only get it in stages and the houses that give you them are now gone. Did Nintendo forget how fun it was to rampage through stages as giant Mario? Overall, it's a fun game, but nothing "new" as the title suggests. If you didn't play the wii one I'm sure you won't get bored with this game as quickly as I did Expand
  8. Aug 19, 2012
    Really awesome game, i did not play the older New super Mario Bros., so this is new to me. Love the level design, music, and the new Coin Rush mode. I really like the hidden areas, and the boss battles too. The only problem i had was that the 3D didn't work well for the game, it just blurred out the background, and i would much rather see the the nice design for them instead. The otherReally awesome game, i did not play the older New super Mario Bros., so this is new to me. Love the level design, music, and the new Coin Rush mode. I really like the hidden areas, and the boss battles too. The only problem i had was that the 3D didn't work well for the game, it just blurred out the background, and i would much rather see the the nice design for them instead. The other thing i did not like was that it was WAYYYYY to easy to gain lives, and you gained the FAST! I like games that give me a challenge, not just fork over extra lives like there just random coins. I do plan on playing this for a long while, and collect everything, all on my new rd 3DS XL. ( which is also very awesome!) Expand
  9. Aug 21, 2012
    This game is prove that fun is what nintendo does best, from level 1 to defeating bowser you have tons of joyful times and incredible moments that you can only get in a mario game, add an addictive mode in coin rush and great level design, and you get an awesome game.
  10. Aug 21, 2012
    This is one of the best Mario games in the 3DS. I don't know why people complain about the artwork, it works and it's beautiful. Also, the new concept of getting a lot of coins is fun and makes it last longer. They only thing could be multi-player, but the game feels complete enough, plus the DLC leaves a spark of hope in this title .
  11. Aug 22, 2012
    Given the dry spell of 3DS titles and lacklustre offering on the E-Shop, I was really looking forward to this game. It was only when I bought it that I realised I already owned this game; on Wii and DS. Of course I was mistaken, and just confused the games, due to the rigid and formulaic 'worlds' (Grass, desert, water, snow etc) and recycled music tracks I was treated to from the get go.Given the dry spell of 3DS titles and lacklustre offering on the E-Shop, I was really looking forward to this game. It was only when I bought it that I realised I already owned this game; on Wii and DS. Of course I was mistaken, and just confused the games, due to the rigid and formulaic 'worlds' (Grass, desert, water, snow etc) and recycled music tracks I was treated to from the get go.

This title really disappointed me, I really needed something to sink my teeth into and Mario is usually reliable in this department, but once again, the champs at Nintendo have mistaken 'recycling game content' for innovation. I personally wasn't so excited to see the return of raccoon suit flight. Raccoon suit flight has been done, and it was fun, now give me something new.

Ah, but the gold flower, fairly fun, but just a tad too rare. You can count on your hand the number of times you pick it up, and are treated to a level of coin-blasty fun. The rest of the time you just take one in your inventory, and if you're like me, struggle to bring yourself to use it for any purpose other than secret areas.

Speaking of coins, in the trailers, I was really looking forward to some contextual point to collecting one million coins, but no. No there isn't. It's an arbitrary and tacked-on addition which wasn't used to its full potential. Why not gambling mini-games, shops, toll-gates, and hungry-luma-style challenges? There's nothing driving me to get those coins except the polite little blurb on the back of the box.

This game isn't bad, but it just seems like they were working to a deadline and rushed the game out for a release date (which makes no sense at this point in the year). It seems like so much more could have been done, like online-multiplayer, perhaps some minigames and even some bottom-of-the-barrel scrapings of story.
  12. Aug 21, 2012
    easily the most fun game this year, and really addictive, new super mario bros takes you back to the old days when games were about gameplay and having tons of fun, but with great graphics and an awesome multiplayer. superb level design and as always great music.
  13. Aug 24, 2012
    Unfortunately this game is incredibly boring. The problem is not in the mechanics as it is a mario game, but I believe that this the first mario game with a complete lack of originality. The coin gimmick don't count and actually doesn't add any value or enjoyment to the game. To sum up in points this is why I think this is a weak mario title:
    - Nearly the same exact world themes from
    - Nearly the same exact world themes from NSMB.
    - No creativity which was evident in mario games (SMW2, MG 1&2, SMB3, SM64, etc.)
    - The coin gimmick is seriously just a gimmick without adding any fun to the game.
    - Coin rush is not really a fun multiplayer mode.

I hate to say this but it seems that Nintendo just released NSMB2 considering mario as a cash cow and I hope this doesn't continue as a trend. I'm in world six right now and I'm forcing myself to finish the game.
  14. Aug 20, 2012
    Classic mario gameplay with some cool visuals, lots of levels to play along with the coin rush mode which is very fun and addictive. One of the biggest parts of the game is collecting as many coins as you can which is pretty addicting. On the down side the boss battles are not very challenging at all. Theres hidden areas to find and a few new power ups which is cool. If your a fan ofClassic mario gameplay with some cool visuals, lots of levels to play along with the coin rush mode which is very fun and addictive. One of the biggest parts of the game is collecting as many coins as you can which is pretty addicting. On the down side the boss battles are not very challenging at all. Theres hidden areas to find and a few new power ups which is cool. If your a fan of sidescroller mario titles this is a no brainer Expand
  15. Aug 20, 2012
    There's nothing new with this Mario game. It's pretty much the exact same game New Super Mario Bros. for the DS was a few years ago, just with a greater emphasis on the Coin Collecting aspect. That doesn't make it a bad game, far from it. It however is not as good as Super Mario Land 3D was last year as it doesn't exactly take advantage of the systems capabilities. This game is pretty muchThere's nothing new with this Mario game. It's pretty much the exact same game New Super Mario Bros. for the DS was a few years ago, just with a greater emphasis on the Coin Collecting aspect. That doesn't make it a bad game, far from it. It however is not as good as Super Mario Land 3D was last year as it doesn't exactly take advantage of the systems capabilities. This game is pretty much a standard Mario game at this point. If you've played one of the 2D games in the past, you'll find nothing new here. That also means it's still a solid platformer that you can still play in spurts, which is nice to play a level during a 5 min break at work or something then go back to what you were doing without worrying about not being able to save your game. So it's a decent game but it's nothing special at this point for Mario. I'd recommend the other Mario game for the 3DS before this one but this is still a game that people will enjoy. Expand
  16. Aug 20, 2012
    This game is short and the lack of innovation caused this review. No online mp in 2012 is brutal and unacceptable. Just bc it's Mario doesn't make it good, this is pandering and I'm not a fan anymore as an adult. I demand better in my games and this doesn't cut it. The raccoon suit only thing remotely positive in this game.
  17. Aug 30, 2012
    Buy it !! Nintendo is your father. Do not forsake your father____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  18. Nov 16, 2012
    This game is total fail, bad 3d quality and glitchy gameplay, avoid it
  19. Aug 27, 2012
    Hardcore Big N Fan here with a small but informative review. This game has been getting lots o' flak for a bunch of reasons. But the bare bones about it is that it is a fun, memorable game. Its classic Mario platforming! Comparing it to past mario games is easy because its easy but the truth is that the new coin collecting mode is a blast. It really has me glued to this game and lovingHardcore Big N Fan here with a small but informative review. This game has been getting lots o' flak for a bunch of reasons. But the bare bones about it is that it is a fun, memorable game. Its classic Mario platforming! Comparing it to past mario games is easy because its easy but the truth is that the new coin collecting mode is a blast. It really has me glued to this game and loving trying to get to 1 Million coins (no mattter the reward). If you dont like collecting every last secret in mario games, or any game for that matter, you will probably roll through this game in a 4-5 hours. If you like collecting and have ever enjoyed a side scrolling platformer before. This is the game for you. Expand
  20. Nov 4, 2012
    This is a fine game. However, it doesn't live up to the 'New' part. I feel Nintendo simply made this because they are in need of money. This is still a great game, but I feel the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. U will be much better.
  21. Nov 13, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played all year. This is an extremely fun platformer, with top notch level design, perfect controls, and amazing graphics. It's no wonder that Mario is the best selling game franchise of all time; the games are consistantly good, some of the best quality money can buy.
  22. Nov 17, 2012
    This game is impressive ! I played it till the very end and the amount of secret stuff is enormous. The 3D effect should be like that, no ? It is blurry, because it's the background whom you actually don't completely see ! No problem here !

I enjoy the DLC's they brought to the eShop !

Thanks Nintendo !
  23. Feb 22, 2013
    Even though this is a basic repeat of the other Mario games, this one I have found addicting more than even Super Mario 3d land! New Super Mario Bros.2 is a traditional side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario, Luigi and loads of other favorite characters from the popular Mario series. The game was created specifically as a pick-up-and-play experience that can be instantly enjoyed byEven though this is a basic repeat of the other Mario games, this one I have found addicting more than even Super Mario 3d land! New Super Mario Bros.2 is a traditional side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario, Luigi and loads of other favorite characters from the popular Mario series. The game was created specifically as a pick-up-and-play experience that can be instantly enjoyed by players of all skill levels on the Nintendo 3DS. There is also a few new power-ups and enemies. Some of those power-ups include: Gold Ring, The Gold Flower, Gold Mushroom, Gold Block and Coin Rush Mode. The new enemies of this game include: Bone Goomba’s, Bone Piranha Plant, Big Bone Piranha Plants, Mini Urchins and Boohemoth. Expand
  24. Aug 24, 2012
    It's been a really long time since I've played a Mario game, and after playing this I'm ready to get back into Mario. The game is fantastic and, as always, has fantastic gameplay, graphics, and sound. There is a new emphasis on collecting coins as they are pretty much everywhere. It's much less challenging than other Mario games, making easier for less skilled gamers to get into, and ifIt's been a really long time since I've played a Mario game, and after playing this I'm ready to get back into Mario. The game is fantastic and, as always, has fantastic gameplay, graphics, and sound. There is a new emphasis on collecting coins as they are pretty much everywhere. It's much less challenging than other Mario games, making easier for less skilled gamers to get into, and if you die a lot on one level you'll get the super tanooki suit that will make you almost completely invincible (you'll still die in lava and pits), and while I enjoyed the easier gameplay (I'm finally able to beat a Mario game XD) I feel like this might turn away hardcore side scroller fans who enjoy the challenge that the older Mario games brought, because they'll no doubt blow through this in no time at all. There's also a Coin Rush mode you play for high scores. One thing that disappointed me about the game is how it really didn't take advantage of the 3DS features, you've got some stuff that works with Street Pass, but the 3D effect the system has makes the beautiful backgrounds of the game blurry and really just doesn't benefit the game at all so you really don't want to play this game with it turned on, which is a real disappointment considering this is a 3DS exclusive and therefore should have great 3D effects. Sure the game could have been longer and tougher, but it's still a fantastic side scroller for you 3DS. Expand
  25. Sep 25, 2012
    I have completed it all it is fun being Luigi and there is challenges along the way it's fun taking down the bad guys but it's also fun to be golden Mario coin rush is the best thing that's fun
  26. Aug 19, 2012
    A pretty good game overall. The soundtrack is nearly the exact same as the previous game, but personally, it wasn't a problem because the soundtrack is great! Also, it is way too easy to gain lives because of the massive amount of coins in the levels. It would have made it harder if the levels were harder. 9/10.
  27. Aug 20, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a good game, but I think the "New" should be taken out of the title. This game doesn't bring a whole lot of new features to the table and the game suffers from not feeling all that fresh. Previous Mario games have been able to re-invent themselves while also feeling like Mario, but NSMB2 fails to do that effectively. If you've played previous titles in the "New"New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a good game, but I think the "New" should be taken out of the title. This game doesn't bring a whole lot of new features to the table and the game suffers from not feeling all that fresh. Previous Mario games have been able to re-invent themselves while also feeling like Mario, but NSMB2 fails to do that effectively. If you've played previous titles in the "New" series, this isn't a must buy. The gold collecting is a nice side addition, but the one million coin goal has a less than stellar reward and this features feels only made for completionists. Speaking of completionists, if you don't like collecting everything - avoid this game. The game is 5 hours through all the levels. This game is made for replayability, something that isn't too bad with the addition of Coin Rush. Overall, this is a good game but only a mediocre Mario game. Expand
  28. Aug 20, 2012
    This game is great! The co-op is not forced upon you or missed when playing alone but it adds a great amount of fun too! The game is alot like the 2d mario I wish we could have had after super mario bros 3. This game might as well be super mario bros 4 because it adds interesting versions of enemies and a great new refreshing way to enjoy mario as a new. The speed runs are amazing too :)This game is great! The co-op is not forced upon you or missed when playing alone but it adds a great amount of fun too! The game is alot like the 2d mario I wish we could have had after super mario bros 3. This game might as well be super mario bros 4 because it adds interesting versions of enemies and a great new refreshing way to enjoy mario as a new. The speed runs are amazing too :) the difficulty can get pretty challenging at times, but not bosses Expand
  29. Aug 26, 2012
    The game itself is the best "New" Super Mario game to date and a perfect example of reviewer stupidity. Take the same game and scrap the different worlds in favor for one big world and call it New Super Mario World and we all would be looking at a Metascore of at least 85 right now. The game is good, don't be fooled.
  30. Sep 7, 2012
    Well, I have to say, This was one of the most disappointing games Nintendo has made in a LONG time. There was so little innovation I felt like I was playing a dumbed down version of the wii predecessor , which is basically what this is. Everything is right about this game, but when I get down to how much time and over all enjoyment I got out of it, I'd say it's not worth the money. TheWell, I have to say, This was one of the most disappointing games Nintendo has made in a LONG time. There was so little innovation I felt like I was playing a dumbed down version of the wii predecessor , which is basically what this is. Everything is right about this game, but when I get down to how much time and over all enjoyment I got out of it, I'd say it's not worth the money. The story is the same as ever (Shocker) And it's really getting old. I just wish nintendo would stop relying on their trump card of their mario fanbase. I am a huge mario fan, really, but this game felt so lifeless and boring and REALLY way too easy. I felt almost as if I was playing a toddler game. The wii game had everything right. Nintendo, would it be possible for you guys to start being an innovative company in your games again? Also a longer, harder experience would be nice too. Possibly a difficulty option? I miss games like super mario world 2 , where you get difficult creative innovative levels that aren't impossible, but actually take more than 5 minutes to do. I'm just tired of lazy game making. Expand
  31. Aug 27, 2012
    NSMB2 is what you expect in a Mario game and tries something new with its obsessive fascination for gold. While the boss battles may lack much challenge, star coins are hidden much better than in SM3DL, and the added Coin Rush mode adds just enough of a twist to the standard game play to make a quick session before work worth your while. I've not played the original DS version, and haveNSMB2 is what you expect in a Mario game and tries something new with its obsessive fascination for gold. While the boss battles may lack much challenge, star coins are hidden much better than in SM3DL, and the added Coin Rush mode adds just enough of a twist to the standard game play to make a quick session before work worth your while. I've not played the original DS version, and have only played a few bits of the Wii edition, and so maybe I'm generally more receptive to NSMB2. It is a fantastic game, and while SM3DL seemed more like a tech demo for the 3Ds, NSMB2 feels more like a finished product. The 3D won't knock your socks off, nor is it meant to. All in all, a worthy purchase and a welcome addition to an ever growing 3Ds library. Expand
  32. Aug 20, 2012
    Great game, fun a lot, the gold appel, wow, amazing.
    Just turned NSMB1 in a medium game.
    Great game, fun a lot, the gold appel, wow, amazing.
    Just turned NSMB1 in a medium game.
    Classic mario gameplay with some cool visuals, lots of levels to play along with the coin rush mode which is very fun and addictive. One of the biggest parts of the game is collecting as many coins as you can which is pretty addicting. The soundtrack is awesome. I really like the hidden areas, and the boss battles too.
  33. Aug 20, 2012
    This is another great entry in the Mario franchise but it doesn't feel as fresh as its predecessor. When NSMB 2 came out for the original DS, I was blown away. It truly felt like a next-gen Mario and I loved the way that they managed to recreate the franchise while still satisfying my craving for nostalgia. The Wii version was also excellent as it introduced four player multiplayer and theThis is another great entry in the Mario franchise but it doesn't feel as fresh as its predecessor. When NSMB 2 came out for the original DS, I was blown away. It truly felt like a next-gen Mario and I loved the way that they managed to recreate the franchise while still satisfying my craving for nostalgia. The Wii version was also excellent as it introduced four player multiplayer and the secret world was a true challenge for long time fans. This game didn't recapture that same magic for me as it feels too similar to the original. I enjoy the addition of the coin hunt and the local multilplayer but the game feels rather similar otherwise. I would have liked to have online multiplayer but this was probably excluded since the game wouldn't work well with network lag. That being said, there is still oodles of creativity here through the level design and the reintroduction of the raccoon suit is a welcome addition as well. The coin hunt is a good idea since it gives us something to work towards after beating the game .. almost RPG-like and the new game mode which focuses on this feature is fun and rewarding. An excellent game for Mario fans but don't expect anything groundbreaking like what we saw in the last iteration. Expand
  34. Dec 4, 2012
    best 3d platform on the nintendo 3ds!
  35. Mar 11, 2013
    his game is impressive I played it till the very end and the amount of secret stuff is enormous. The 3D effect should be like that, no It is blurry, because it's the background whom you actually don't completely see No problem here I enjoy the DLC's they brought to the eShop Thanks Nintendo
  36. Nov 11, 2012
    The poor state of the economy finally filters its way to the mushroom kingdom.
    Now not only does Mario have to save the Princess AGAIN but he has to recoup a million coins so the mushroom kingdom doesn't repossess his castle.
    The poor state of the economy finally filters its way to the mushroom kingdom.
    I can only assume Mario is the princesses handyman or servant of some description, as a lowly plumber she surely must be aware that her status demands she marry into another reputable household less she tarnish what I am sure is a long upstanding family name.
    Mario may be a hero, but he is no prince, nor a knight. His only title is Plumber. Doesn't even have an apprentice to do his dirty work for him. I mean even if you counted Luigi, which no one does, they do the crap work together. Not a sound mind for business it would seem.
    Probably why he's in dire financial straits in the first place. His plan to fix it? Kill things and turn them into money.
    Actually that isn't the worst plan he's had.
  37. Nov 19, 2012
    I have played every non-spinoff Mario Bros. game since I received my NES one Christmas in the early, so I think it is fair to say I have a good feel for the series. New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels closer to Super Mario World or Super Mario 3 to me than it does to NSMB Wii or NSMB. The latter two titles are good, but don't have that classic Mario feel to them. NSMB2 does, and it is aI have played every non-spinoff Mario Bros. game since I received my NES one Christmas in the early, so I think it is fair to say I have a good feel for the series. New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels closer to Super Mario World or Super Mario 3 to me than it does to NSMB Wii or NSMB. The latter two titles are good, but don't have that classic Mario feel to them. NSMB2 does, and it is a wonderful thing; bringing back the Raccoon Suit was a wonderful idea. The levels are all well thought out, and there are hidden coins and secret exits aplenty. The graphics are what you would expect on the 3DS, but I do feel that the 3D could have been better. Items on the screen just don't really pop at you like in other 3DS games. Just a minor quip, as the gameplay is what is truly important in a Mario Game, and they have that down solid. On another note, I feel that the coin collection gimmick is just that - a gimmick, and tacked on at that. Overall a wonderful game! A must buy for Mario fans. Expand
  38. Dec 8, 2012
    Coins, TONS of coins to collect. With a bunch of coins worldwide collected, we will be rewarded like free coin rush packs. Because of this, there is a reason why we should collect coins. Collecting coins is one major goal. Saving Princess Peach is another major goal. Getting tons of coins will be difficult, but saving the princess should be our first major goal. The levels we played areCoins, TONS of coins to collect. With a bunch of coins worldwide collected, we will be rewarded like free coin rush packs. Because of this, there is a reason why we should collect coins. Collecting coins is one major goal. Saving Princess Peach is another major goal. Getting tons of coins will be difficult, but saving the princess should be our first major goal. The levels we played are easy, so this game is for beginners. The coin rush mode is more like a challenge. Coin collectors would enjoy coin rush. If you only like challenges, pick another game, or you will find yourself playing a game for beginners. Expand
  39. Jul 10, 2013
    I don`t play Mario game so often. Heck, the only other one I own is the First one for the Wii.

But it`s fun. I don`t get why the 3D makes the background blurry though, and also the music is quite similar to NSMB Wii, which I feel is kind of lazy. And although the game says to "collect coins, blah blah blah", you can`t really do anything with them. Nothing. But although I haven`t

Nothing.
    But although I haven`t tried it the multiplayer looks fun, maybe I`ll try it with my brother sometime.
    All in all; 7. It could of been better, but it`s good. Maybe wait till a price drop because 40$ seems a bit much for it.
  40. May 24, 2014
    Wow now this is underrated I had great expectations for this and loved it. It's like super Mario bros 3 but with more coins I was sad that it wasn't very high but what do you get I give this a nice ten
  41. Feb 16, 2014
    Solid enough but this is a lazy lazy game as far as trying to push the series up. This game is a cash in by Nintendo. It's more of the same. If that's what you want go for it. But I found this disappointing
  42. Sep 30, 2012
    Who can complain? It's more of the same old Mario everyone loves! Or so Nintendo would have us think. They should've went with the "Mario Kart 7" naming convention and called this one "Super Mario 238", since it's the 238th Mario game. Along with removing "New" from the title, it would describe the game a bit better. Yet another Mario game from the same "if-it-ain't-broke" 1983 NintendoWho can complain? It's more of the same old Mario everyone loves! Or so Nintendo would have us think. They should've went with the "Mario Kart 7" naming convention and called this one "Super Mario 238", since it's the 238th Mario game. Along with removing "New" from the title, it would describe the game a bit better. Yet another Mario game from the same "if-it-ain't-broke" 1983 Nintendo mold, New Super Mario Bros. 2 does have some nice little puzzles and the standard Nintendo polish. Compared to the DS prequel, it's a little more challenging, but not in the best ways. For example, to get some secrets you need to hit a randomly cycling item block, so be prepared to commit Mariocide multiple times to get that coveted third star coin in some areas. The gameplay is otherwise identical except for the addition of the somewhat disappointing two-plane (background and foreground) 3D graphics and a few new (old?) power-ups. The levels are pretty easy to complete, and in the end you'll have a million coins and hundreds of extra lives. NSMB2 a fun little romp, but if Nintendo wants to play up the nostalgia factor while maximizing profits, I'd rather they just re-release Super Mario All-Stars in 3D and be done with it. It would be far less embarrassing for them, and far more enjoyable for the fans. Expand
  43. Apr 1, 2013
    It was just over too fast. And then right when I started getting into the coin-collecting option, that got boring; discover the 2 secret worlds, finished them in one sitting; Started finding the large coins, had fun for a while, found most of them (and the ones left are on levels I hate). And, there's no way a game that is this similiar to games which I've been playing since the 80's canIt was just over too fast. And then right when I started getting into the coin-collecting option, that got boring; discover the 2 secret worlds, finished them in one sitting; Started finding the large coins, had fun for a while, found most of them (and the ones left are on levels I hate). And, there's no way a game that is this similiar to games which I've been playing since the 80's can possibly get a great score. Expand
  44. Sep 1, 2012
    Another Mario game. You pretty much know what to expect here. I see a lot of complaints that there is nothing new brought to the table here, but in fact that is what I like about it. I hated the fact that I had to shake the Wiimote to play NSMB Wii. As stated the game revolving around coins is kinda a gimmick. The game is fun and many of the levels are chalenging, although thisAnother Mario game. You pretty much know what to expect here. I see a lot of complaints that there is nothing new brought to the table here, but in fact that is what I like about it. I hated the fact that I had to shake the Wiimote to play NSMB Wii. As stated the game revolving around coins is kinda a gimmick. The game is fun and many of the levels are chalenging, although this challenge is mitigated by the fact that it isn't that hard to rack up 100s of lives easily and the white racoon that you are given if you die on the same stage too many times. I put this game up there with SMB 3 and SMW as one of the finest, but one thing stops this from being a full 10 score. That is that the controls feel somewhat sluggish compared to the NES and SNES counterparts. Not bad enough not to play but enough to notice now and then. The graphics are nice and the 3D effect dosn't take away from the game or distract, it definatly dosn't try anything bold but in this type of game that is welcome.

I purchased a 3DS XL to play this game and Kid Icarus Uprising and haven't been disappointed in the games yet. I currently also game on a PS3, PC, and iPhone. I have owned a Wii and a 360 in the past but gave the Wii to a nephew and the 360 had been repaired 6x so I gave up on it. After playing NSMB2 on the XL I can say that while the larger screen is welcome older players like myself still could use an even larger screen with better pixel density.

Anyone out here who grew up on SMB titles should enjoy ths game. People who's first Mario title was Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy may not find this game enjoyable. There is always an amount of retro factor to account for in a game like this. While I wish Nintendo made these games to punish poor players so they would try and get better I understand why they wish to make them accessable to all skill sets. New players will never know what it's like to conquer a stage after having it bust your ass for a month or so.
  45. Sep 30, 2012
    I really enjoy this game, but I'm sad to see that Nintendo has reused graphics, sound effects and music from New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Even the final boss theme is recycled from the Wii game, which is inexcusable. Nintendo, please don't do what EA does with Madden; think of a more creative idea.
  46. Jun 18, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros 2 sticks to the guns in true saga-type fashion, popular with eastern audiences. Improvements over the original include brandishing the highly successful power-ups and bosses established in 1988 in Super Mario Bros 3, such as the raccoon suit and Koopalings- and fairly less obscurity and trial-and-error than its forerunner.
  47. Sep 2, 2012
    Enjoyable platforming but this is essentially the same game that you've played before on the DS and the Wii. Nintendo seemed to be releasing this game just to cash in. Well, since the past two installments sold in excess of 20 million units each, you can't really blame Nintendo for releasing this sequel.
  48. Nov 26, 2012
    Incredibly fun but just a little bit short. How much I loved the first one on DS, I really expected a bit more for the sequel. A great game if the price is right!
  49. Aug 22, 2012
    While New Super Mario Bros. 2 falls short of the bar set by last year's Super Mario 3D Land, it's hard to give this game a below average score. The controls are pretty much flawless, the graphics look great, and the whole game has a nice charm to it...it's just unfortunate that for the most part I've seen it all before.

It also doesn't help that the game is devoid of any challenge. Some

It also doesn't help that the game is devoid of any challenge. Some are quick to point out the amount of lives players get and the option of using the white-raccoon suit as examples of how easy the game is; however, the difficulty (or lack thereof) problem is much worse than that. Lives are fairly outdated at this point and limiting them won't really affect the difficulty of the game and you can simply choose to not use the white-raccoon suit. The game is easy simply because it's easy. Levels offer little platforming challenge and you are -constantly- getting more power-ups.

...but I digress. While the game's difficulty might be a turn-off for many (myself included), I couldn't help but enjoy my time with this game. I even see myself playing it in short bursts from time to time (everyone's got time to kill on the toilet).
  50. Jan 25, 2013
    Although the New Super Mario Bros series is getting a lot of hate for being too much of the same, the simple coin idea featured in 2 is just enough to make the game seem a little more satisfying. Since most new Mario games are so easy, I never cared much to collect coins. Watching that meter go up over time as you play and coin rush to beat your friends records is an interesting experienceAlthough the New Super Mario Bros series is getting a lot of hate for being too much of the same, the simple coin idea featured in 2 is just enough to make the game seem a little more satisfying. Since most new Mario games are so easy, I never cared much to collect coins. Watching that meter go up over time as you play and coin rush to beat your friends records is an interesting experience in itself. Expand
  51. May 6, 2013
    If you've played a 2D Mario before the NSMB series, you'vep layed a superior 2D Mario. What we have here is a cheaply made shameless cash grab with no soul.

They basically pulled art assets from a previous NSMB game, didn't bother to include more than 2-3 pieces of background music, and then built some of the most easy, boring, and uncreative levels you've ever experienced. For an

For an experienced gamer, this is a bad buy. Terrible, actually... but it does do a decent job of filling the roll of "baby's first Mario game" for a very young audience. The difficulty level is set very very low, it's very forgiving, coins are everywhere for practically infinate lives, infinite continues, and just in case that's not easy enough for you, if you fail a level enough times you get a special powerup that make you invincible.
  52. Jun 17, 2014
    Super Mario Bros 2 is a competent platform game for the 3ds. While it's not a bad game it never really captures the imagination or compels you to play it for hours on end. Overall, it's just too similar to previous games and in many respects not as good as Mario 3D or for that matter Donkey Kong Country.
    Hard to recommend to anyone other than fans that simply must play every Mario game.
  53. May 10, 2013
    From the developers of the Original "New Super Mario Bro's" We have this sequel, which takes place on the more powerful Son of it's predecessor, The Nintendo 3DS, At first glance, not much has changed, the same as usual Mario gameplay, But this game has more depth, more re-playability and more Mario action, there is no reason to not own this title, This is another 3DS Must own.

If I

If I have but one issue; It's the Dull boss battles and somewhat short game, but since the first time I slotted this into my 3DS, it's been played for over 60 hours! More than I've played OOT3D and Super Mario 3D Land! This is a great game! Despite some of the Harsh reviews.
  54. Apr 24, 2013
    The gameplay is easy enough to get into and coin rush is worth spending a couple of hours on, but this game suffers from a syndrome many games today suffer, way too easy. If you fail five times on the same level you get a support block with a golden tanooki suit which makes you invincible. I am someone who is bad at platformers, I never used a assist block but still managed to make itThe gameplay is easy enough to get into and coin rush is worth spending a couple of hours on, but this game suffers from a syndrome many games today suffer, way too easy. If you fail five times on the same level you get a support block with a golden tanooki suit which makes you invincible. I am someone who is bad at platformers, I never used a assist block but still managed to make it through the game with over 100 lives, that combined with the fact that the game is far to short make it subpar to the other games in the series Expand
  55. Aug 21, 2012
    This game is a great game. It has a ton of replay value, and it's a long game, if you take the time to find all the secrets and get all of the star coins, and of course collect 1,000,000 coins. However, if you do not collect all of the star coins and secrets, the game can be finished in an our. Also, as a sidescrolling platformer, it's good, but, as a Mario game, it adds nothing new orThis game is a great game. It has a ton of replay value, and it's a long game, if you take the time to find all the secrets and get all of the star coins, and of course collect 1,000,000 coins. However, if you do not collect all of the star coins and secrets, the game can be finished in an our. Also, as a sidescrolling platformer, it's good, but, as a Mario game, it adds nothing new or nothing impressive, and it is too derivative of the other games in the series. It's nothing you've never played before, and it's just very uninnovative and soulless. This is still a great game, but if you're looking for something very long and new in a platformer, look elsewhere. Expand
  56. Sep 18, 2012
    A great Mario game! I've played all Mario games so far and this one didn't disappointed me. Despite the critic that it is not "new enough" I thought it to has some great new features. If you like me love Mario, go out and get this one, you won't regret!
  57. Oct 2, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros is basically a platform game where you have eight different levels and each time you complete one level you get a golden key to go to the next level. Mario is the main character of the game and there are special powers for Mario to make him go faster, go smaller, go bigger and the flower power.
    New Super Mario Bros is really suitable for any age range because it
  58. Dec 11, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a good sequel to its first predecessor, New Super Mario Bros.! Collecting a million coins and saving Princess Peach at the new side-scrolling view! Not too recommended, but it'll be good for New Super Mario Bros. fans!
  59. Aug 26, 2013
    It's a good game for the time. Such a gold rush. Collecting 1 million coins is just not only crazy but maybe unoriginal. New power-ups would've helped but maybe not much. People playing the game makes us think that our country should be as rich as Mario and Luigi. It's only a good game.
  60. Nov 25, 2012
    AVOID!!!! I love mario but this is just poor. the 4 hour single player mode is fine but not one level will strike out as amazing, which you come to expect from Nintendo. the tacked on 1000000 coin goal is terrible, you will be bored to death trying to get 1000000. I got around 50000 on my first play through, and to get all the star coins i was near 80000, and I had enough. The racoon suitAVOID!!!! I love mario but this is just poor. the 4 hour single player mode is fine but not one level will strike out as amazing, which you come to expect from Nintendo. the tacked on 1000000 coin goal is terrible, you will be bored to death trying to get 1000000. I got around 50000 on my first play through, and to get all the star coins i was near 80000, and I had enough. The racoon suit is awsome and coin rush mode is a good addition, but overall a poor package Expand
  61. Feb 3, 2013
    What a shame.. I've waited 6 years for new super Mario bros 2 and this is what we got... Nintendo let a lot of people down with this game. The bad level design and amount of bugs as well as other things make this no of the worse Mario games to date.
  62. Mar 9, 2013
    NSMB.2 surely has to be one of the worst Mario titles to date. Never has it been so apparent of the unspectacular level designs and relatively charmless gameplay. The 3D in the game is completely ineffectual, it just blurs the background that's it! NSMB.2's main gameplay feature is the large supply of gold coins scattered within the levels, with the aim of collecting as many as you canNSMB.2 surely has to be one of the worst Mario titles to date. Never has it been so apparent of the unspectacular level designs and relatively charmless gameplay. The 3D in the game is completely ineffectual, it just blurs the background that's it! NSMB.2's main gameplay feature is the large supply of gold coins scattered within the levels, with the aim of collecting as many as you can while also rescuing the independent as ever (ha!) Princess Peach. The gold coin collecting idea feels cheap and shallow, just a glorified collect-em-up essentially. The game features characters from the original Super Mario Bros. Trilogy but as with the Wii version of NSMB, this implementation is purely for nostalgic purposes but has no overall effect on the actual game. Co-op mode is wishy washy and to be honest, just as clunky as NSMB Wii's multiplayer was, with the character only focusing on the leading player making the game feel more competitive than cooperative. The Gold Rush mode is a fancy word for collect-em-up time trials. The premise is simple, collect as many gold coins throughout a set a three levels and reach the exits, then repeat these to improve your score. Sounds fair enough but improving your high score is not entirely accurate as the levels are randomised each time!? I know...there is DLC Coin Rush levels but it is a rather lame attempt at longevity to be honest.

Graphics: 6/10
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Features: 5/10

I would stick with your copy of Super Mario 3D Land (if you have it, if not buy that instead) because this Mario title is sadly not worth your time.
  63. Dec 28, 2012
    With the Super Mario series its easy to say the games are very repetitive but they do what they set out to do gameplay wise very well. New Super Mario Bros. 2 does just that and more by taking the traditional mario platforming and power ups that we all love and adding a new twist there is new incentive to get coins in this game. There is a meter that keeps track of your coins,a ring thatWith the Super Mario series its easy to say the games are very repetitive but they do what they set out to do gameplay wise very well. New Super Mario Bros. 2 does just that and more by taking the traditional mario platforming and power ups that we all love and adding a new twist there is new incentive to get coins in this game. There is a meter that keeps track of your coins,a ring that changes your enemy gold for a short period of time and when you kill them it adds to your coin tally and there's a coin flower that makes you gold (or platinum if your Luigi) and let's you shoot fireballs that when they hit enemies it also adds to your coin tally. While not overly impressive these features and the new coin rush mode to see how many coins you can get in a level before time runs out both add replay value to an otherwise VERY short game. If your a mario fan like me with a 3DS this one is a must have and while it is short and somewhat easy for seasoned players of the series it's fun gameplay,charming and colorful environments and good overall design are enough to keep you going back for more time and time again. Expand
  64. Jun 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game gives you the chance to understand how to play I mean that -if you download the DLC course packs in the Coin Rush mode- you will face the toughest levels ever in the history of the Super Mario Series and you will be able to play 30 more levels and try to get the highest score amount of coins by playing it as many times you want to boost the coins bar. Also, you earn achievements if you reach the total of 1,000,000 and 9,999,999 coins collected, which is an other reason to make you want play the game -achievements-. What's more, you enjoy for first time 3D game graphics in real, which is so influential! However, a disadvantage is that there are no mini games, like in the first New Super Mario Bros. Expand
  65. Dec 27, 2012
    It's funny how this game is called new super Mario bros 2 but there is nothing new about all the sound tracks (except for the reznor theme) are recycled from new super Mario bros Wii, all of the enemies are recycled from new Smb, new Smb Wii, and 3d land, even the final battle is the same as in new Smb Wii: bowser grows giant for the third time in a row and when you fight dry bowser, it'sIt's funny how this game is called new super Mario bros 2 but there is nothing new about all the sound tracks (except for the reznor theme) are recycled from new super Mario bros Wii, all of the enemies are recycled from new Smb, new Smb Wii, and 3d land, even the final battle is the same as in new Smb Wii: bowser grows giant for the third time in a row and when you fight dry bowser, it's the exact same battle as when you battle bowser, the only thing about this game that is new is the gold flower and the heavy emphasis on coins but all you get for collecting a million coins is a new title screen I have no idea what nintendo was thinking when they made this game Expand
  66. Mar 1, 2013
    [FR] Ce jeux est bien sauf que les boss sont trop facile Il y a aussi le mario magique [je ne sais plus le nom] Qui plombe le jeux part exemple au monde finale ta le mario magique et tu destroye tout On ne dirait plus mario. Ce jeux et quand meme Merveilleux surtout a la fin. Je vous le conseille malgrés tout.
  67. Feb 5, 2013
    This is a solid 2D side scrolling entry into the New Super Mario Bros. franchise. The level design and difficulty are not top notch however. It doesn't implement the 3D of the 3DS very well. It's charm shines in nostalgia and gameplay mechanics. The bonus downloadable course packs give it a large amount of replay value and much needed challenge. Virtually no improvement from itsThis is a solid 2D side scrolling entry into the New Super Mario Bros. franchise. The level design and difficulty are not top notch however. It doesn't implement the 3D of the 3DS very well. It's charm shines in nostalgia and gameplay mechanics. The bonus downloadable course packs give it a large amount of replay value and much needed challenge. Virtually no improvement from its predecessor but its still quite a bit of fun. Expand
  68. Feb 6, 2013
    This is... interesting for Nintendo to do. Kind of like how they just copy-pasted Super Mario Galaxy to Super Mario Galaxy 2 except with Yoshi, New Super Mario Bros 2 is copy-pasting New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii... except nothing that New. While the gameplay is still enjoyable, the story feels the exact same as NSMBW, and the feel is all around NSMB. Not the worstThis is... interesting for Nintendo to do. Kind of like how they just copy-pasted Super Mario Galaxy to Super Mario Galaxy 2 except with Yoshi, New Super Mario Bros 2 is copy-pasting New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii... except nothing that New. While the gameplay is still enjoyable, the story feels the exact same as NSMBW, and the feel is all around NSMB. Not the worst Mario game, but when it comes to New, it falls flat. Expand
  69. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is just plain boring. I have no idea what I was thinking back in February 2013 when I gave this an 8. Literally EVERYTHING in this game except for the World Mushroom, Flower & Star music is recycled from New Super Mario Bros Wii.

What the hell were they thinking? That if they did the same final battle again except with Bowser chasing you vertically instead of horizontally, that people would love it? Nintendo, a company that's known for bringing us a lot of fresh, original games, could not have sunk lower than this.

I guess you could buy this if you haven't played NSMBW, but even then I'm pretty sure you'd be better off playing NSMBW, because that's a better game with more new things than this game.

Only reason I'm not giving this a 0 is because the game works fine, I guess? No glitchy gameplay or anything, so that's a plus.
  70. Mar 10, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is, like the other titles in the New Super Mario Bros. series, a great game but this one only has 6 worlds and three special worlds (Which are quite short). It also takes out all the new power-ups in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. However, it also adds a new one as well as two returning ones. The new one is the gold flower. It turns bricks into coins. The two returningNew Super Mario Bros. 2 is, like the other titles in the New Super Mario Bros. series, a great game but this one only has 6 worlds and three special worlds (Which are quite short). It also takes out all the new power-ups in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. However, it also adds a new one as well as two returning ones. The new one is the gold flower. It turns bricks into coins. The two returning ones are the mega mushroom (From New Super Mario Bros.) and the tanooki leaf (From Super Mario Bros. 3). Unfortunately, there are no new enemies and they took away some instead. Also, there is a new mode called coin rush. You pick a pack, then 3 courses are randomly chosen and then you get 100 seconds (In some cases 50 seconds) to complete the courses whilst collecting as much coins as you can. Overall, this is a great game but there isn't much new and it's a bit short. Expand
  71. Mar 14, 2013
    There's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be evenThere's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be even more enjoyable if it was a Super Mario 3-like answer to the first DS New Super Mario Bros. Nevertheless, as a 3D rehash of the classic Mario formula, it works in the most important way: being a very fun game that should get you hooked. Expand
  72. May 10, 2013
    If you were looking for a portable version of New Super Mario Bros. Wii with less features, then this is it. Same exact music, w/ some added sounds. There are no Yoshi's, no blue/yellow toads, less items, no extra worlds when you beat the game, (Unless you count the star world, where it's kinda really hard getting all the star coins), and lastly, the Coin Rush mode is ok, not thatIf you were looking for a portable version of New Super Mario Bros. Wii with less features, then this is it. Same exact music, w/ some added sounds. There are no Yoshi's, no blue/yellow toads, less items, no extra worlds when you beat the game, (Unless you count the star world, where it's kinda really hard getting all the star coins), and lastly, the Coin Rush mode is ok, not that exciting. And there's no reason at all, whatsoever to collect a million coins. You'll be disappointed. Expand
  73. Apr 24, 2013
    All Mario/Luigi games on the 3DS have ranged from average to just bad. This game is in the bad section. The new Mario games are turning into COD. a new game coming out every year. In fact, It is even worse at this point. New Mario 2 and New Mario u came out the exact same year. Anyway. The game is bad. Its ugly, the level design is pathetic. The music is rehashed with even more wahs andAll Mario/Luigi games on the 3DS have ranged from average to just bad. This game is in the bad section. The new Mario games are turning into COD. a new game coming out every year. In fact, It is even worse at this point. New Mario 2 and New Mario u came out the exact same year. Anyway. The game is bad. Its ugly, the level design is pathetic. The music is rehashed with even more wahs and bahs. Level designs are cliche. Don't play this game. Don't give Nintendo your money Expand
  74. Apr 30, 2013
    I like the golden flower because if you miss the enemy and hit you a wall behind it, it will die automatically and you will get 5 coins instead of 1. The goal is to get a score of one million coins. I like fighting Bowser and the powerups are good.
  75. May 12, 2013
    I enjoyed the first NSMB, so when I heard there was a sequel, I had to buy it. Turns out, people had complained about the first game's lack of coins... well, this is what you get. COINS! COINS! COINS! The game is all about coins, and while it sounds repetitive, it's actually a fun little game. There are lots of secret levels, bonus worlds, and even shout-outs to older games.
    I can't speak
    I can't speak for the 3D, since I don't use it. But the graphics look good even in 2D mode, and there are no areas that require you to turn on the 3D. Overall, it's a great game for anyone: you can just pick it up and play, or you can sit for hours trying to unlock all the secret levels. So go out and buy it you won't be disappointed!
  76. Jul 27, 2014
    Probably my favorite in the "New Super Mario Bros." series. The platforming is solid and tight, and the emphasis on coin collecting with the million-coin challenge adds quite a bit of replay value. I love the graphics and music, and the Gold Flower is among the very best (if not OP) power-ups in the entire series. One of the best titles for 3DS!
  77. Jun 13, 2013
    This is just another Mario game like all the others. run around get coins stomp on bad guys and YOUR DONE!! this i only i kids game i don't recommend for adults this is a boring poor excuse for a Mario game thanks nintendo
  78. Apr 18, 2014
    I love people's mentality. "WE NEED MORE INTUITIVE MARIO GAMES!!! Oh hey, a recycled Mario game, let's buy it! Aw yeah, it's AWESOME!!!" No it is not! It is not new. It is recycled. I've had enough. ENOUGH. I've given Mario SLACK on many occasions. Heck, I even gave 3D land a PERFECT score because it was the best and most intuitive handheld Mario game ever (not to mention thatI love people's mentality. "WE NEED MORE INTUITIVE MARIO GAMES!!! Oh hey, a recycled Mario game, let's buy it! Aw yeah, it's AWESOME!!!" No it is not! It is not new. It is recycled. I've had enough. ENOUGH. I've given Mario SLACK on many occasions. Heck, I even gave 3D land a PERFECT score because it was the best and most intuitive handheld Mario game ever (not to mention that main theme, holy heck that crap was VERY addicting). Mario is dying because we cry for newer gameplay and buy the older games and LOVE IT. We kill the gaming society. Look at recent sales. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII OUTSOLD GALAXY, one of the MOST FRESH MARIO GAMES TO DATE. I'm baffled. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a failure, nothing more, everything less. Expand
  79. Oct 20, 2013
    While the coins add a new element to game play, it's not that different from New Super Mario Bros. Its alright on its own but it is disappointing to wait 6 years to play a game that could have just been dlc.
  80. Jul 23, 2013
    "New Super Mario Bros. 2" may be awfully familiar to its past Mario games, but nevertheless, the game is still able to interest you with its new levels and new themes. With better animation than the previous game and its new format in 3D, "New Super Mario Bros. 2" will certainly be a wonderful addition to your 3DS games.
  81. Jul 13, 2013
    Enjoyable music and gameplay as usual, but the 3d effect was pointless on this one so don't buy it for that. I was also pretty disappointed at the end boss of the secret world, it was the same fight as the normal world, exactly. I felt genuinely disappointed at that part.
  82. Jul 18, 2013
    First, let me make something clear. This is not an entirely new Mario game. Yes, there is a coin gimmick, but other than that it’s virtually the same- 8 worlds, including, a plain world, a jungle world, a volcano world e.t.c.
    There are some ‘new’ power-ups. There’s the racoon suit, oh wait that’s not new, it’s from super Mario bros 3. This lets you fly and glide. Then there’s the gold flower, which is new, except it isn’t- it’s basically a fire flower than can also turn blocks into coins upon contact with the fire. And as usual, the good ol’ fire flower returns. Not Nintendo at its most creative, but the design of the levels is great, and that’s what keeps you wanting more, even though it is too easy. You can play through the whole game with two players, but player 2 will need another copy of the game.
    Then there’s the coin gimmick. Basically all the levels in New Super Mario Bros 2 are bursting with coins and different ways to get them. This is where Nintendo get creative, placing all sorts of new ways to collect coins, and that’s where that rare gold flower comes in useful too. Just like any other Mario game, Bowser kidnaps Peach, and saving her is the goal. As usual, on top of that is star coins- three in each level, you know the story by now, and also secret exits. But now there’s also the goal of collecting 1 million coins. This takes a long time, but levels are overloaded with coins, and the more skill you have, the faster you’ll reach the goal of 1 million coins. What’s the prize, I hear you ask. I can tell you: a new main menu screen. That’s it. Coin redemption can be found in coin rush mode, though, when you play three randomly selected courses in a row and try to collect as many coins as you can, and reach the goal in a 100-second time limit. One death and it’s game over. You can trade high scores via streetpass, but there are no online leaderboards, which is disappointing. However, coin rush is a simple, addictive experience and I’m surprised nobody’s thought of it before.
    In conclusion, this is the first Mario platformer ever that isn’t essential. I’d recommend it, but it stays too true to Mario’s roots.
  83. Aug 26, 2013
    A very solid entry in to the New Super Mario Bros. Series it is probably my third favorite and what I really like about it is it focusses the most on the single player mode.
  84. Oct 11, 2013
    New super mario bros 2 is an okay game, but it's not as good as the original new super mario bros. but it's still fun, but this time, it's a little different, bowser did not kidnap princess peach this time, the koopalaings did. and it's up to mario or luigi to travel through 8 worlds to save her. one problem I have with this game is that these are the exact same worlds from the originalNew super mario bros 2 is an okay game, but it's not as good as the original new super mario bros. but it's still fun, but this time, it's a little different, bowser did not kidnap princess peach this time, the koopalaings did. and it's up to mario or luigi to travel through 8 worlds to save her. one problem I have with this game is that these are the exact same worlds from the original new super mario bros there's no difference at all, there's the mushroom kingdom, the egyption world, the tropical/jungle world, the ice world, the mountain world and the final world. Why can't they just be original and bring different worlds, this is a SEQUEL not a REMAKE. another thing is that this game has a coin collecting theme that comes literally out of nowhere. there's this coin meter that counts how many coins you have collected and the game challenges you to collect one million coins. This does nothing and it does not add any replay value, I got a super mario game to go on an adventure through 8 worlds and defeat bowser at the end, not to search everywhere for hidden coins or power ups that help you get coins. there are some classic power ups like the fire-flower, or the or the tanoki suit, but this game has some new power ups, like the gold enemy power up which turns all of the enemies and most of the hazards into gold and you get coins for defeating them, or the coin block, with the coin block, the faster you run, the more coins you get, one hit and you lose the coin block. and then there's gold mario, with this power up, mario can shoot gold fireballs and turn everything the fireballs hit into coins. the graphics are okay, when the 3D is off, if you turn on the 3D the backgrounds get blurry, the higher you rise the 3d slider, the blurrier the backrounds get, this does make it look like the backgrounds are far away, but it makes the backgrounds look awful, this is the only 3DS game that I have ever played where I hate the 3D effect. the level design is great, and it does feel like some classic mario platforming, and, there's the tanoki suit power up, now it really feels like super mario bros 3 on the NES. there's also a 2 player co-up mode where you and another player can play through the entire game together, this is a very cool addition. another thing they added is a coin rush mode, this mode really is nothing special, you just go through the levels and collect as many coins as possible before the timer runs out. this mode can also be used for 2 players. New super mario bros 2 is not as good as new super mario bros, but it's still a great game to play to make time go faster like on a long car trip. Expand
  85. Sep 19, 2013
    This is a game that, although i enjoyed, is just another 2D Mario. Nothing stood out as really great to me. There was never really a challenge throughout the game. I got the feel that they just wanted to shovel out a new game, and took elements from the other NSMB games and threw them together. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.
  86. Sep 22, 2013
    Jugabilidad(10): el control es facil de usar y el juego es super adictivo. Tecnologia(8.5): muy buenos graficos, muy buen espacio de juego. todo muy colorido. Graficos(10): los graficos son excelentes. Sonido(10): se escucha muy bien y las canciones no son para nada repetitivas, son muy buenas. yo las tarareo por que me encantan. Innovacion(9): es muy buena la idea de coleccionarJugabilidad(10): el control es facil de usar y el juego es super adictivo. Tecnologia(8.5): muy buenos graficos, muy buen espacio de juego. todo muy colorido. Graficos(10): los graficos son excelentes. Sonido(10): se escucha muy bien y las canciones no son para nada repetitivas, son muy buenas. yo las tarareo por que me encantan. Innovacion(9): es muy buena la idea de coleccionar monedas, te dan ganas de agarrarlas todas. tambien revive el traje tanooki que es muy divertido usarlo. Expand
  87. Oct 9, 2013
    This is one of the most disappointing sequels to video games. It had boss battles ripped from the Wii version, a disappointing, unrewarding coin hype, and the elimination of on-map enemies (where are the Hammer Bros.?). Other than that, the level design is overall flawless and some replay value for getting the Star Coins. However, it would only take three days to beat so do yourself aThis is one of the most disappointing sequels to video games. It had boss battles ripped from the Wii version, a disappointing, unrewarding coin hype, and the elimination of on-map enemies (where are the Hammer Bros.?). Other than that, the level design is overall flawless and some replay value for getting the Star Coins. However, it would only take three days to beat so do yourself a favor and borrow it from a friend. Expand
  88. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is pretty easy compared to other New Super Mario games, and plays it pretty safe by not innovating on much, but coin rush is addicting. despite the low difficulty of the main story, its still fun. I'm a sucker for platformers and mario games in general, so I really enjoyed it.
  89. Nov 11, 2013
    This is the main reason that I bought a 3DS LL console cause I want to play this game since I had played the New Super 1 on NDSL, it's good that this series is more easier to play the cons is that this game do Not make strongly 3D visual effect.
  90. Jun 30, 2014
    Not really a BAD game, but it could be better. I think I'm just comparing it to the perfection of Super Mario 3D Land, so I had high expectations (I know that's a weird comparison, but c'mon, they're both Mario platformer games) The secrets are really cryptic, its too easy, and the graphics aren't that nice either. I also HATE how there is only 6 worlds instead of 8, even 3D Land had 8Not really a BAD game, but it could be better. I think I'm just comparing it to the perfection of Super Mario 3D Land, so I had high expectations (I know that's a weird comparison, but c'mon, they're both Mario platformer games) The secrets are really cryptic, its too easy, and the graphics aren't that nice either. I also HATE how there is only 6 worlds instead of 8, even 3D Land had 8 worlds, and even 16 special worlds. Despite all of that, this game is still better than ok. Expand
  91. Nov 26, 2013
    While it's more or less the same as its DS predecessor, it is pretty fun to focus the gameplay on collecting coins. I had fun with that at least. Although I'd understand it being too similar for some, it kind of is.
  92. Nov 14, 2014
    i love Mario games but this game is one of my least favorite ones,

to start off with the good things in it, the game play is great the bringing back of the raccoon leaf is great, the worlds look nice and ten times better then the first game and nothing in the game is too hard but the best part of the game is that's its fun for the short time of playing it now for the bad the biggest
    i love Mario games but this game is one of my least favorite ones,

now for the bad the biggest issue with the game is content i cant name one other Mario game that has a lack of content i mean there are 6 main worlds and 3 special worlds that may seem like a lot but each world only as 6-10 levels which brings me to the next issue that it took me less then four hours to beat the game and that includes the 3 special worlds now i did enjoy every part of the game but when it came to an end i felt ripped off 30 bucks for 4 hours of content?i can think of indie games that are not even half that price but offer ten times more hours of content next the power ups feel the same and really there in not one new one the golden flower is new but the issue with it is that its only in 3 to 5 levels and you lose it after completing the level meaning that you only get maybe 10 minutes of using it (it is fun but needs to be used more)

but having this being my most played game on my 2ds (with 20 hours clocked in) i would only tell die-hard Mario fans to get this game the game is fun but the only way to really get out all the content is re-playing it for all the stars/secrets and if that's not what you enjoy doing i would say get NSMB from 2006 on your ds/3ds/2ds or go and get one of the older Mario games on the virtual console
  93. Jan 4, 2014
    When you see a sequel to New Super Mario Bros, you probably imagined it being better than the first one. It's not. The gameplay is nearly the same, although the addition of the Gold Flower, which allows you to turn regular blocks into coins, is actually pretty cool. However, the concept of limited lives goes out the window. Every 100 coins is another life, as usual, but with all the coinsWhen you see a sequel to New Super Mario Bros, you probably imagined it being better than the first one. It's not. The gameplay is nearly the same, although the addition of the Gold Flower, which allows you to turn regular blocks into coins, is actually pretty cool. However, the concept of limited lives goes out the window. Every 100 coins is another life, as usual, but with all the coins literally everywhere, you will have over 100 lives in no time. The difficulty is almost non-existent for any seasoned Mario player. I can see it being a small challenge for younger audiences, but even then, you get the Invincibility Leaf, which gives you the ability to basically skip a level. It's a fun game nonetheless, and I did enjoy the hours I spent beating the game. But this game isn't catered towards Mario fans. Expand
  94. Apr 20, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a pretty average Mario game. Though i found the main gage small it has some replay value such as collecting 1.000.000 coins and getting Star Coins to unlock a new world, however this is kind of boring and repetitive. It doesn't introduces much to the series on my opinion.
  95. Mar 7, 2014
    Great co-op game with decent graphics. This is by far the first game I played with my girlfriend and both of us enjoyed it. The difficulty is definitely not easy, especially if you are playing co-op, as players would affect each other's movement as well as only one player is "controlling" the screen. And that is why I like this game. This is a great game to play with your beloved ones.
  96. Jul 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review contains a very minor spoiler at the end so be warned. This game is okay but it is kind of a disappointment in some ways. The art style and graphics kinda suck. I know it is supposed to look simplistic and old school because its Mario, but it still looks bad to me. My main complaint would be that many levels have a horrible ugly blur filter over most of the background for no apparent reason. Maybe Mario is supposed to be near sighted or something. Another thing is that almost all the haunted house levels are just some stupid level gimmick like a giant boo that scrolls the level for you and stuff that just isn't fun. Thirdly the boss was lame and annoying. Oh wow its giant Bowser swatting at your platforms from the background! I kinda suck at Mario so I died twice to the final sequence and each time you attempt it again you have to watch Bowser get turned giant by the koopalings in a sequence that cant be skipped. Its only like 20 secondsish but it still bothers me that it can't be skipped because there is literally no good reason for that. If you want to play a platformer for 3DS just get Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D its way better in every way. Expand
  97. Dec 10, 2014
    It was too hard and I quit after a few days of playing it. The DS version was simplistic but fun compared to this. Plus, if you're thinking of getting it and already have 3D Land, you're just playing Super Mario 2D Land.
  98. May 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The sequel of New Super Mario Bros. on the DS doesn't look as great as the first two games in the series. They just reused many things from its predecessors, like music, enemies, overworld map, and many more. That's just lazy and uninspired, Nintendo. Also the coin gimmick just felt pointless for me.

This game had some good points (It's not completely bad), like precise controls, great level designs, fine graphics, and catchy remixes. Hey, I didn't say the music is bad. I mean, it's good, but it's getting repetitive.

Overall, this game is actually fun to play. I highly recommend it.
  99. Jun 1, 2014
    "New Super Mario Bros. 2" was my first 3DS game! This is yet another fun Mario game. The worlds are diverse and fun to play through, and there are many secrets to find. The story is the usual bland "Princess gets kidnapped" Mario scenario, but it's made up for in the gameplay. The graphics are colourful and nice. The enemies can be annoying in they're attack routines, but are fun to step"New Super Mario Bros. 2" was my first 3DS game! This is yet another fun Mario game. The worlds are diverse and fun to play through, and there are many secrets to find. The story is the usual bland "Princess gets kidnapped" Mario scenario, but it's made up for in the gameplay. The graphics are colourful and nice. The enemies can be annoying in they're attack routines, but are fun to step on never the less. The music is catchy. Finally, the level design is smart, and is a good balance of hard, and easy. The ghost houses can be quite cryptic though. The boss battles can be fun, but they're painfully easy. The final boss, Bowser, may be extremely similar to other final boss fights (generally with the man himself, Bowser) in previous Mario games, but Bowser's battle is still very good. This game would have gotten a nine from me, had it not been for the white tanooki suit. This suit basically shows up if you keep dying in a level. It makes you invincible, you can fly, and it looks stylish...at least for a tanooki suit. The big issue I have with it, is that it takes all the difficulty out of a hard level. This makes the game generally easy to beat if you keep dying. In the end, it's still a great game, and sucked me in from the start. Expand
  100. Jun 13, 2014
    this game gets more hate than it deserves, even when its similar to new super Mario bros on the Nintendo ds, it does adds a new layer of fun with the coin collecting mechanic, now you have to get 1 million, this coin collecting thing adds replay value as well as a new way to approach platforming, the level design its really superb, fun, addictive challenging, star coins are harder to getthis game gets more hate than it deserves, even when its similar to new super Mario bros on the Nintendo ds, it does adds a new layer of fun with the coin collecting mechanic, now you have to get 1 million, this coin collecting thing adds replay value as well as a new way to approach platforming, the level design its really superb, fun, addictive challenging, star coins are harder to get in this game, even harder than in super Mario 3d land, graphical wise some models are reminiscent of new super mario bros on the nintendo ds, but sometimes it makes up with some details, and also the coins and the golden mario power up looks very nice, major fail is the fact that the 3d effect doesnt work at all, it even makes it worst since the backgrounds do blur when the effect is on, the second best plataform adventure on the nintendo 3ds, must have if you like mario and plataform games Expand
  101. Aug 22, 2012

Long-lasting and entertaining Mario-platformer has got a new spirit thanks to coin collecting but its design is nothing to be proud of. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't really all that new anymore. What you get is basically the same game as the first one for the Nintendo DS, but with less engaging levels, fewer surprises in terms of power-ups and gameplay, and a boring gimmick set on capturing your inner kleptomaniac.
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2's tricks may be old, but they are still some pretty darn good tricks. Length is one of the game's rare shortcomings. [Sept 2012]