7.1

1. Apr 2, 2011
    If you want my opinion, don't get this game if you already own the original Nintendogs. You will be left feeling quite annoyed that many things have remained the same. The graphics have obviously improved and the 3D effect works great, but as for the actual gameplay, it has more or less stayed the same. You will most likely be amazed by some of the few new features they HAVE included,If you want my opinion, don't get this game if you already own the original Nintendogs. You will be left feeling quite annoyed that many things have remained the same. The graphics have obviously improved and the 3D effect works great, but as for the actual gameplay, it has more or less stayed the same. You will most likely be amazed by some of the few new features they HAVE included, however the excitement quickly wears down, and you feel like there's nothing more to do. Not the best launch title but a good game nonetheless. Expand
  2. Apr 17, 2011
    To say I owned the original Nintendogs, I thought this was a little bit too samey to warrant a purchase, but to its credit - Nintendogs + Cats refines a lot of the originals formula and makes it one of the best pet sims to date. But that isn't too big of a step up from the original. There are still a lot of things to do - but these activities last only for a short while, meaning its a goodTo say I owned the original Nintendogs, I thought this was a little bit too samey to warrant a purchase, but to its credit - Nintendogs + Cats refines a lot of the originals formula and makes it one of the best pet sims to date. But that isn't too big of a step up from the original. There are still a lot of things to do - but these activities last only for a short while, meaning its a good pick up for 10 minutes a day kind of experience. The 3D effect works great and as a standalone game is great. As a continuation of the series... maybe not so much. If you didn't check out the original, I do urge you to at least take a look - but I probably wouldn't make it your only launch game you pick up - there's not that much substance to it as you'd expect, but still a fun experience nonetheless. Expand
  3. Jun 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nintendogs+cats is just like the original, but with cats. There are new additions, like a new contest and new breeds. The contests get old, fast, but are fun for a little while. Some nice additions are SpotPass extras released every week or so, along with the ability to StreetPass people when you walk past them, thus allowing you to meet there dog at the park and through a walk. New items, gameplay features and more make this an average pet simulator. Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2011
    If I had to sum this game up in one word, it would be adorable. Two words? Unequivocally adorable. In fact, I could go on the rest of this review about how adorable the game is, however I'll spare you that. If you've played a Nintendogs game, you'll know what to expect here. If you haven't, think of it like a simplified version of taking care of a real puppy or kitten, or like puppies andIf I had to sum this game up in one word, it would be adorable. Two words? Unequivocally adorable. In fact, I could go on the rest of this review about how adorable the game is, however I'll spare you that. If you've played a Nintendogs game, you'll know what to expect here. If you haven't, think of it like a simplified version of taking care of a real puppy or kitten, or like puppies and kittens if they were a Tamagotchi pet. You'll do things like go for walks, compete in contests, brush your pets, wash them, and feed them. One of the really great features is the use of voice recognition for all the commands and the pet's name, meaning you can call your pet by name, or give it a verbal command to obey. The name (and verbal commands) can be whatever you want, just let it be known that if you say similar sounding things they may get confused (just like a real dog!). The 3D in the game works well, and never strains even on the highest settings, only helping to amplify the sensation of having a puppy or kitten in front of you.

My only real complaint with the game is you can go through everything the game has to show you rather quickly, and if you have a real pet, this game has nothing to offer that can't be outdone by a real animal. I got this game after the loss of a pet (and when I didn't think I would be able to get any more at my current residence) and while not as good as a real pet, it helps to fill the hole. However, after a month of playing the game not only had I seen everything the game had to offer, but I got two real kittens, and I haven't picked up the game sense. If you can't have a real pet and long for one, liked the first Nintendogs, want something to tide you over til more titles come out for the 3DS, or just love absolutely adorable things, you could do a lot worse than picking this up.
  5. Feb 2, 2013
    Good game with amazing graphics and the possibility to cuddle puppies and kittens. It's fun to train your dog and to take a walk with it, but after a while it's a little boring.

There is plenty to do in Nintendogs + Cats, but most gamers will get tired of the competitions pretty quickly.
  2. May 16, 2011
    Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends is a solid launch title for the 3DS, just as Nintendogs was for the DS. If you haven't yet experienced the series (which was the case for me), the game is quite enjoyable and is a great way to get some hours on your 3DS in the currently average line-up of games available. However, if you've played the original game and are expecting a new experience, you won't find it here. Just adorable puppies and cats and practically the same gameplay as the original in every way.
  3. May 16, 2011
    It may not be leaps and bounds away from the original Nintendogs, but a few improvements and additions, regardless of gimmick factor, means that Nintendogs + cats does prove that the virtual pet genre is still alive and kicking.