Paper Mario: Sticker Star 3DS

5.8

1. Jul 23, 2016
    This game was so bad that I had to make an account on Metacricit just to down vote it.

Its not a good Paper Mario, and its not a good game in general. Frustrating level design, bad combat system and no sense of progression (its better to skip all combat because you get no XP, you only waste resources by fighting). Uninteresting story, bad characters and weird layout of things. One of

Uninteresting story, bad characters and weird layout of things. One of the few games ever I quit because it was too bad and boring :(

This will not go down as a "real" Paper Mario, its just a bad Mario and Luigi.
  2. Jul 21, 2016
    This is not a bad game but is very disappointing ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg I added a bunch of gas to make the review 150 characters long
  3. Jul 17, 2016
    This game feels like a "New Super Mario Bros." with turn-based battles. Which would be fine if it was an actual RPG. That's right, it's an Action-Adventure game. With linear story, characters and locations, some fans don't even consider this to be a "Paper Mario" game. Now as a "Pick-up-and-play" game, it's not so bad. But for those of you who've stuck with the series even in "Super PaperThis game feels like a "New Super Mario Bros." with turn-based battles. Which would be fine if it was an actual RPG. That's right, it's an Action-Adventure game. With linear story, characters and locations, some fans don't even consider this to be a "Paper Mario" game. Now as a "Pick-up-and-play" game, it's not so bad. But for those of you who've stuck with the series even in "Super Paper Mario", you will be disgusted of this. The visuals are cute and "paperish", but that's all this game has to offer that will keep you playing. Expand
  4. Jul 16, 2016
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO nO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
  5. Jul 14, 2016
    Paper Mario is amazing so is the thousand year door and super paper mario and this game...is alright. Story is bad and the gameplay is really bad. The graphics are okay and the fighting combat is probably the worse thing about this game! Did I say this game was okay? No it's trash instead.
  6. Jul 8, 2016
    Just bad. Ruined the series. Now color splash. No. I hate this game. Guys dont buy this or color splash. It is pure garbage. Battle system no, memorable characters no, music maybe, rpg no...
  7. Jun 29, 2016
    This game killed Paper Mario.
    NO PARTHNERS
    NO HISTORY
    LOTS OF TOAD
    Miyamoto is out of control and he did not stop here.
    Now th new one is going to fail and they are going to purge it.
  8. Jun 26, 2016
    Totally forgettable. Dumbed-downed gameplay, boring, and very disappointing. I really didn't like the sticker system- it was just a bunch of guessing when it came to boss battles.
  9. Jun 16, 2016
    There are mnay things wrong, so I can not name them all.
    1. Dumbed down battle system
    2. No story
    3. Bowser is final boss
    4. Confusing puzzles
    5. You need a certain sticker to beat a boss so you need to back track finding it, and once you beat it you feel no acomplishment
    And so on...
  10. Jun 16, 2016
    Graphically the game looks great. The music, while not the best in the series, is still quite enjoyable for what it is. However the biggest problem with this game is the gameplay, an issue which makes this game one of the worst games I have ever played in my life. Unlike other games in the series, the only method Mario has attacking is jumping on an enemy to first strike them outside ofGraphically the game looks great. The music, while not the best in the series, is still quite enjoyable for what it is. However the biggest problem with this game is the gameplay, an issue which makes this game one of the worst games I have ever played in my life. Unlike other games in the series, the only method Mario has attacking is jumping on an enemy to first strike them outside of battle. After that, all battle actions must be taken by using stickers. What do you get for fighting these battles? More stickers.

The RPG elements are pretty much gone and the battle system is designed in such a way that there is no incentive to fight any of the random battles. Where do this leave the game? The game turns into a collectathon in which you have to find enough stickers and hope you have enough to fight the games underwhelming bosses while doing mediocre platforming and puzzle solving. The worst part about all of this is the game drags on for way longer than it has any right to do.

The story in nearly non-existent and is simply there is a generic framing device to say, oops gotta go do the generic Mario thing for the 15th time. Good luck! When Shaq Fu of all games has a better story than you do, as a designer, you are very clearly doing something wrong. When Shaq Fu has arguably better gameplay than your game does, then you have clearly FAILED as a game designer.

Do not play Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
  11. Jun 6, 2016
    this is a disgrace for the RPG genre and the Paper Mario series
    This game doesnt have a good story, original characters, new worlds, unique enemies, funny partners, experiences, or all we loved about the paper mario games, besides... the NPC just are generic toads!
  12. May 15, 2016
    Terrible, terrible and one more terrible! This is worst game of all Nintendo games. By this game - Nintendo RIP Paper Mario series... terrible storyline, terrible gameplay, terrible world.
  13. Mar 30, 2016
    This is a extremely disappointing game. I mean, I was thrilled when I watched the trailers, getting back to the turn-based system, something I loved in the first 2 games and wasn't in the third, and the mark Paper Mario was all I needed for huge will to play this. But well... I didn't get what I expected. The great story and characters this series has had, especially the first two games,This is a extremely disappointing game. I mean, I was thrilled when I watched the trailers, getting back to the turn-based system, something I loved in the first 2 games and wasn't in the third, and the mark Paper Mario was all I needed for huge will to play this. But well... I didn't get what I expected. The great story and characters this series has had, especially the first two games, they are gone, the story is the same as every Mario game with nothing special, and the sticker system for battling is awful. You get no reward for winning battles, actually the game punishes you for battling, something I hadn't seen in any RPG. The only reward is... money. And for that you must win the battles spending your stickers, which you must buy with money or find while you play. Also bosses are ridiculous, there is an overpowered sticker for all of them that just destroys them, if you don't find it they are extremely hard, and if you find it they are piece of cake. Sure, the Paper Mario universe charm and great music are there, and the world, while not as good as the ones in the previous games, is decent (that's why this gets a 2 and not a 0...)

All in all, don't buy this, it's not worth your time, there are much better games out there.
  14. Mar 28, 2016
    Per molte persone il voto che ho messo a questo gioco è pura follia, ma comunque sono felice di poter esprimere la mia opinione.
    Per analizzare questo gioco, giudicherò gli aspetti principali di ogni gioco:
    1.TRAMA Sulla trama non c'è molto da dire perchè è praticamente inesistente ed inoltre non sono presenti personaggi diversi da Toad, però questa situazione è identica per la maggior
    Per analizzare questo gioco, giudicherò gli aspetti principali di ogni gioco:
    1.TRAMA
    Sulla trama non c'è molto da dire perchè è praticamente inesistente ed inoltre non sono presenti personaggi diversi da Toad, però questa situazione è identica per la maggior parte dei giochi di Mario e comunque meglio di un altro rpg di Mario la cui trama è un'accozzaglia di eventi senza un senso logico.In conclusione non ho sofferto molto per la mancanza di trama ma ciò non rende giustificabile la sua assenza.
    voto:5 (solo per la situazione simile ad altri giochi di Mario, che lo salva da un voto piu basso)
    2.GAMEPLAY
    Il gameplay è l'aspetto che ha fatto più discutere, ma io personalmente l'ho trovato divertente e per certi versi innovativo, ma è per sempre vero che la mancanza di esperienza non è cosa da poco e sicuramente se fosse stata presente(anche se non so come si sarebbe integrata con il sistema di sticker).
    Il combattimento con gli sticker l'ho trovato divertente seppur probabilmente inutile, e nei combattimenti con i boss è sempre presente un determinato sticker da usare per infliggere un danno maggiore(e pensare che la gente su internet dice che senza quegli sticker è impossibile vincere, quando in un solo caso è vero).
    Poi passiamo ai puzzle dove le lamentele sono vere solo in parte:
    gli enigmi che utilizzano gli sticker-oggetto riguardano il trovare uno sticker-oggetto specifico che potrebbe essere ovunque, in quel caso l'enigma può essere definito frustrante mentre quando l'enigma riguarda i ritagli,cioè i pezzi di scenario mancanti, basta analizzare bene lo scenario e se non lo si trova significa che bisogna tornarci dopo, ed in questo caso il puzzle non è frustrante ed il dire che lo è dimostra magari il non riuscire a risolverli.
    Per ultimo vorrei parlare del level design: specificato che non trovo fastidiosa la mappa dei mondi, io ho adorato il level design di questo gioco, perchè ogni singolo livello o quasi, è caratterizzato a suo modo.
    voto:9
    (oggettivamente non è cosi alto ma il mio gradimento è stato questo)
    3.COLONNA SONORA
    Su questo punto c'è poco da discutere, la ost è sublime e la maggior parte delle tracce mi sono rimaste in testa.
    voto:10
    4.GRAFICA
    La grafica di questo gioco rende perfettamente l'idea di diorama, concetto reso ancora più vivo da uno dei migliori effetti 3D del catalogo giochi del 3DS.
    voto:10
    CONCLUSIONE
    In conclusione posso affermare che secondo me questo gioco è uno dei giochi sottovalutati degli ultimi anni, odiato dai fan della sua saga e anche da qualcun'altro.
    Ovviamente anche io preferisco i capitolo per WII e GAMECUBE(il primo non l'ho giocato) ma il maltrattamento verso questo gioco mi sembra eccessivo, basti guardare il fatto che nella media utente di Metacritic ha appena raggiunto l'insufficienza(in senso scolastico).
    Il voto che metto è puramente soggettivo e non voglio assolutamente spacciarlo come oggettivo, (non sono mica un critico) ma sono fiero di dire che ritengo questo titolo uno dei migliori titoli per 3DS almeno secondo me.
    voto generale:9
    (non so se il voto sia una media tra i diversi aspetti, ma è solo un indice del mio gradimento generale per questo gioco)
  15. Mar 26, 2016
    [ Written on December 27th, 2015 ] Paper Mario: Sticker Star sadly just never moves out of that "Game of Shame" position. As far critics love this one, users biased this game and I can easily see why. Originally a 6, but I dropped it to a 5 due to an insanely weak gameplay. A major letdown from Super Paper Mario which probably had a better final boss and a better final boss theme than this[ Written on December 27th, 2015 ] Paper Mario: Sticker Star sadly just never moves out of that "Game of Shame" position. As far critics love this one, users biased this game and I can easily see why. Originally a 6, but I dropped it to a 5 due to an insanely weak gameplay. A major letdown from Super Paper Mario which probably had a better final boss and a better final boss theme than this game. Instead of making anything creative for us to use for battle, we have to use stickers for protection. Nintendo would never make a game that's mainly a cash-grab but that's been done with Sticker Star. Stick with Super Paper Mario.... or its original or the Thousand-Year Door. Expand
  16. Mar 25, 2016
    Paper Mario Sticker Star took away everything that made the first two Paper Mario games great, and was an immense disappointment.

For starters, it reverted to the simple "Bowser kidnaps Peach" story, and thus lacks the interesting and original stories that previous Paper Mario games had. And even though this generic story could have been executed well, it wasn't. A bland story can still be redeemed by interesting characters, but Sticker Star has none, with the game's cast consisting of Mario, Kersti, Peach, Bowser, and about a million Toads. Yes, that's right. Instead of the game being filled with interesting and unique characters, generic Toads make up the entire supporting cast.

The gameplay has taken a dive as well. The battle system, albeit creative, is extremely irritating and lacks much depth. The lack of exp and leveling up takes away all sense of reward, and has essentially stripped the series of the RPG elements that made it great. In addition, the lack of a connected world has removed nearly all sense of exploration that the series once had. Also, the puzzles are unfairly cryptic, many times requiring some obscure sticker that you get halfway across the gameworld, with no clues leading to it whatsoever. The same applies to boss battles, each of which has a weakness to one thing sticker, and the outcome of the battle will usually depend solely on whether or not you have that sticker.

I'd like to be able to say something good about this game, some way it improved over previous Paper Mario games. But it is a downgrade in every way imaginable. The fact that this game's gameplay style is the new standard for the series makes me want to cry. Paper Mario is dead.
  17. Mar 24, 2016
    Paper Mario Sticker Star is quite the mixed bag. It holds itself as a Paper Mario game, but in fact, it diverges from its roots a far bit. When you hear about what the game could have been, you can't help but be disappointed. It might be unfair to compare it to its predecessors, but there are many flaws in this game ignoring the fact that it deviates from the Paper Mario formula.
    I can't
    I can't deny that the game doesn't look gorgeous. One thing the game got right was its visuals; the game finally has its paper aesthetic realized to a great potential. However, there isn't much variety in the visuals and characters themselves. The environments mostly adhere to the world formula of the sidescrolling platformers: grasslands, dessert, etc, etc. It even uses a world map in the same vain as Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros 3. There are no unique characters or enemies. In fact, all the Toads are the same. The story is barebones and really just acts as bookends for the unfocused adventure. What's frustrating is that this art direction is to be blamed by Miyamoto who was so adamant for the developers to stick with the existing Mario characters without altering them.
    On that note, Miyamoto is also to blame for the change in gameplay. There are no companions, and the battle system uses stickers for attacks rather than a menu. Now, it's great that the game is trying something different, but in this case, it was not executed well at all. Battles in almost every case aside from boss battles are unnecessary. Unnecessary in the fact that stickers - which substitute for actions in previous games such as hammer attacks, jump attacks and healing items - are completely expendable. A sticker album is used to 'organise' these stickers on the touch screen, and I put these in air quotes as there really isn't any order in it. Additionally, regular battles provide no real reward besides coins (which you can use to buy stickers, but why would you when you can just find aplenty them in the overworld). The experience points model is completely scrapped in this. There is no incentive to battle.
    As an action platformer, the game design mostly focuses on puzzle solving with this new gimmick of finding real world things aptly called "things". You use these "things" to clear a path or stop the flow of water, for example by deducing with logic (or common sense) which thing to use. For example, there are cardboard bowling pins blocking the way, a bowling ball is needed. However, it's not quite intuitive in how we find or retrieve these said "things" which can drag the pacing of progression by quite a bit from back tracking and searching to no end for these "things". It's also worth mentioning that all this platforming will have the ocassional ecounter with an enemy.
    It is a shame that this is what became of Paper Mario for the 3DS. It could have been great fun, even with its new ideas. But these new gameplay mechanics were poorly implemented and many gameplay elements from previous entries were sacrificed.
  18. Mar 19, 2016
    If you haven't play a Paper Mario game yet, DO NOT start with this one. In fact, go start with the first game, and stop at the third, because this game is a mockery of the series. It takes everything fans loved about the first 3 games and just **** all over it, and expect you too like it.
  19. Mar 16, 2016
    This is not a game. It is nor a platformer, nor an RPG, therefor it is not a game. It does not fit anywhere into the Paper Mario series and should have never reared its ugly head into the world. Things I hate about this game include:
    -I have seen every area of this game in a Super Mario Game. Not interesting worlds at all
    -Every minor is a toad. Literally a toad. No personality. -The
    -Every minor is a toad. Literally a toad. No personality.
    -The battles are absolutely pointless. Not giving EXP makes them just a waste of stickers.
    -Stickers are possible the worst idea I have ever seen implemented. You are basically penalized for battling since you barely gain anything worthwhile, yet you lose your stickers which you should save for the boss fight
    -The bosses are impossible unless you happen you guess which thing sticker you need. Good luck beating Pokey without a baseball bat.
    I don't even know what or who allowed this atrocity to be created, but it should have never tainted and/or killed the Paper Mario series. So saddening.
  20. Mar 14, 2016
    It's a good game, but sadly it's not a Paper Mario game.
    It's a good game, but sadly it's not a Paper Mario game.
    The graphics are great, that's all i have to say that is good about it. While this game needs some strategy while using stickers to defeat bosses, the sticker system is not good, in Paper Mario you can jump and use a hammer without any costs, and use the special attacks with the Hammer/Jump costing you FP, but now everything has a cost, stickers. This system is far from being the best, it's good, but it's a betrayal for Paper Mario fans, but that's not the problem.
    The huge letdown this game has is lack of charm, this game is good on it's own, but the charm Paper Mario had is not there. Where are the original characters (aside from Kersti)? Where is the new Goomba partner? Where's the new Koopa partner? Where's the new Bomb partner? Even Super Paper Mario had these, but now everything we have is Toads, and there's no one behind Mario, it's just him and his stupid stickers. The great story, where is it? Why is everything based on a gimmick (stickers)?
    I actually remember when this game was announced back in 2010, Mario had a chomp partner (something we never had), he was useful in both battles and in the overworld. It was something that made me excited when i was 9 years old. But sadly, you made this game a excuse of a game, i mean, how the heck can you make a game destined to be great be a excuse? It WAS going to be great, it HAD a partner system which would qualify this game as a Paper Mario game, but then you removed the new partner system, and basically turned it into Super Mario 3D land, with unoriginal worlds and characters. I remember a lot of Toads which were original in the Paper Mario and Paper Mario TTYD, but then you made all of them silly Toads, without diversity. There's not even Enemies NPCS or at least not those who where partners or lived on a village. And the battles are almost pointless, you can earn coins to buy new stickers, but there's no leveling up, something that made Paper Mario great. Well, that's all i have to say.

Intelligent Systems, please add at least ONE thing that was great on Paper Mario, all i want are Partners, no, not a new Kersti please, at least 7-9 partners, i beg you. I'm actually fine with a system like Sticker Star's, but all i want is someone behind me, someone to help me, someone to make the game more challenging, that's all i want.

I would say this is my 4th favorite Paper Mario game, but it's not even one, it's just a Super Mario 3D Land copy with a Mario made of paper on it.
  21. Mar 13, 2016
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star is not a Paper Mario game. If you consider this the pinnacle of the series, you've obviously never played any of the previous entries. Do yourself a favor and play the older games, they're all masterpieces, even Super Paper Mario is better than this trash.
  22. Mar 12, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the fourth game in the Paper Mario series, and returns to the turn-based battle system of the first two games. Despite this, it couldn't be further from the earlier games in terms of quality.

Unlike the first three games in the series, which had a heavy focus on story and characters, the plot in Sticker Star is practically nonexistent, instead on par with the main Mario games. Aside from the game's introduction and finale, almost nothing plot-relevant happens, and few levels have any sort of events at all. The main cast is minimal, only including Mario, Peach (who barely talks), Bowser (who doesn't talk), Kersti (a Navi-like companion), and Kamek and Bowser Jr. (who act as minibosses but only very rarely show up). The supporting cast consists almost entirely of Toads, all with the same base design and almost all of them using the standard red Toad design. If you liked the series for its story and characters, Sticker Star will disappoint you.

Instead of chapters, there are now worlds with separate levels. As you explore, you solve puzzles, some of which require reorienting stickers used for the scenery. Many levels drag. Some levels introduce extra gimmicks, such as a raft you move by standing on its edges or multiple holes you can drop down, but these often only make levels more tedious, if not unnecessarily frustrating.

While the game's graphics are great and environments have a distinct "papercraft"-like look to them, the world itself is bland and very formularic compared to the rest of the series. If you've played any of the main Mario games, you know what the worlds here are: grasslands, desert, forest, ice, jungle, lava. Combined with the lack of story, and the minimal events in general, the game ultimately feels very dull.

Kersti, your partner character in this game, doesn't join you in battle but instead gives you hints if you press L. Most of her hints are either obvious, or outright useless, making this completely worthless.

The battle system is turn-based again, but instead of having basic moves and gaining additional ones through equippable badges, EVERYTHING is based on stickers you've collected. Healing items? Stickers. Stat buffs? Stickers. Special attacks? Stickers. Your basic jump- and hammer attacks? Stickers. If you run out of stickers mid-fight, tough luck, because now you can't do anything. While the attacks themselves are fine, the fact you can end up UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING makes this system annoying at best and fundamentally broken at worst. Battles also no longer give EXP (as there's no leveling system), only coins (which you can get elsewhere) and maybe a sticker (which you can also get elsewhere far more reliably) if you're very lucky, making fighting anything not mandatory a waste of resources.

Boss fights are more like puzzles than actual fights. You NEED to have a specific sticker, gotten by finding the corresponding item and turning it into a sticker, or you'll be unable to beat the bosses, as they often take little damage without using the right Thing sticker and have very high amounts of HP. Many of these stickers use more space in your sticker album than most, meaning you have less space for other stickers, meaning it's entirely possible to run out of stickers to attack with and have to start the entire boss fight over, especially early in the game.

The only reason this game gets a 2 instead of a 0 is because of the graphics and the music - the soundtrack, unlike most of this game, is genuinely nice and has a consistent jazzy/big band style to it, though unfortunately there aren't quite as many memorable tracks as in the previous games.

Overall, I cannot in good faith recommend this game. If you like turn-based RPGs, give the first two Paper Mario games a try instead if you haven't, or the Mario & Luigi series, and if you like action-adventures with occasional puzzles (which the overworld is closest to), you're better off playing Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, or one of the Super Mario Galaxy games.
  23. Mar 12, 2016
    I just cannot recommend this game to anyone except die hard Mario fans and even then maybe not even them. Yes the turn based combat came back witch was good but it really lost something. The loss of gaining experience and gaining something from battles is so great that it makes battle something to avoid rather than take on and overcome. The worst thing that I have heard from people is thatI just cannot recommend this game to anyone except die hard Mario fans and even then maybe not even them. Yes the turn based combat came back witch was good but it really lost something. The loss of gaining experience and gaining something from battles is so great that it makes battle something to avoid rather than take on and overcome. The worst thing that I have heard from people is that you can run out of attack stickers. Like how on earth do you make a game where you can leave your player defenseless just because they have fought too many things. There are also so many generic toads,and I know that Nintendo can do better, they have in the past, they've created amazing worlds and people in those worlds but now they're just missing. They have taken out what made this a great game series, stripped it of all rpg elements that made it great. I have to be honest, I have not finished the game, I was just so put off that I got fed up with it and I think that I will be very hesitant in getting the next game in the series. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2016
    Paper Mario : Sticker Star shouldn't be a Paper Mario. We came from the excellent Paper Mario TTYD to this.. a game without soul! Yes, they had a great idea for a game on 3DS, but a Paper Mario without partner, badge and xp.. No, not for me!
  25. Mar 5, 2016
    At first it seemed okay, but before all the levels in the first world were cleared I was painfully bored, a feeling that lasted the rest of the game. I kept playing hoping it would get better, but it never did. The battles feel pointless, and the bosses are either finished in one turn or will take hours and all your stickers to beat. The world felt empty and dead, not worth exploring. WhatAt first it seemed okay, but before all the levels in the first world were cleared I was painfully bored, a feeling that lasted the rest of the game. I kept playing hoping it would get better, but it never did. The battles feel pointless, and the bosses are either finished in one turn or will take hours and all your stickers to beat. The world felt empty and dead, not worth exploring. What little of a script there was felt cheesier and more worn out than other games.

People who like this game keep saying that those who dislike it just didn't give it a chance or are judging it on nostalgia. I DID give it a chance, and after I stopped comparing it to older games I still despised it on it's own merits.

I've never played a game that I've derived less enjoyment from.
  26. Feb 29, 2016
    This was definitely the most disappointing Nintendo game of all time, it's existence bothers me to the core. But what can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Well, probably not much, but I'm still going to keep talking anyway.

Let's start at the obvious question "Is it a good Mario game?" No, no it's not. It's weird, confusing and difficult, and not difficult as in

Let's start at the obvious question "Is it a good Mario game?"
    No, no it's not. It's weird, confusing and difficult, and not difficult as in "challenging" but frustrating and unfun; the bosses almost require you to have a certain item to beat them.

what about "is it a good RPG?"
    No, no it's not. There's no reason to ever engage with any enemies there's no leveling system and your moves are limited so you battling always leaves you with less than when you started; but if you do ever are unable to avoid an enemy and do get into a battle you can just run 100% guaranteed with no negatives. So there's no advantages or disadvantages to battles.

and finally "Is it a good Mario RPG?"
    No, no it's not. It lacks everything that made Super Mario RPG and the dual Mario RPG trilogies (PM and M&L) stand out. The charm, the characters, the gameplay, the story it's all gone.

This game alone makes me worry about not only of the Mario RPG series but the future of Nintendo in general. This game is just so wrong I genuinely don't see how the Paper Mario series can recover after what this game did with adding/replacing/destroying characters with out a literal retcon of this game.
  27. Jan 21, 2016
    This game sucks. The stickers suck the gameplay suck the story suck EVERYTHING SUCKS IN THIS GAME! NINTENDO SHAME ON YOU THIS GAME IS A MISTAKE! Dont bús this one!
  28. Jan 13, 2016
    In my opinion, this is the most underrated Mario game out there. People constantly talk about how this game is terrible because it isn't like the first two Paper Mario games, but that doesn't make the game bad. Super Paper Mario is by far my favorite Paper Mario game, due to how creative, clever, and overall fun it was. Sticker Star has some unique ideas, but there are some notable flawsIn my opinion, this is the most underrated Mario game out there. People constantly talk about how this game is terrible because it isn't like the first two Paper Mario games, but that doesn't make the game bad. Super Paper Mario is by far my favorite Paper Mario game, due to how creative, clever, and overall fun it was. Sticker Star has some unique ideas, but there are some notable flaws that it has.

Essentially, Sticker Star has a lot in common with the original Paper Mario games in that you have platforming in a free-roam environment, and the return of turn-based combat. The combat allows Mario to pull off attacks, use healing items, and all sorts of unique things depending on the stickers he has equipped. You don't have stickers, you can't battle-it's as simple as that. Experimenting with all kinds of stickers is a lot of fun, and you can still block to reduce damage taken from attacks. However, what I find flawed here is the complete lack of leveling up or experience. This means that Mario never gets stronger, except for the fact that some stickers are more powerful than others. This gets a bit old after a while, and it makes the bosses feel like they go on way too long.

Another point I find both good and bad about the game is the story. It's incredibly simple, especially compared to the other Paper Mario games. It's still about as funny and charming as ever, but don't expect the darkness of Thousand-Year Door or the emotional characters of Super Paper Mario.

The game's strongest point is how well the paper gimmick is used. So many amusing gags, puzzles, and the stickers in general prove this. Sticker Star may have its flaws, and it may be very confusing at times, but it's still very enjoyable overall. For that, I give it a 7/10.
  29. Dec 12, 2015
    As a long time fan of Paper Mario, I was truly excited for a handheld installment. Unfortunately, I don't feel this game lives up to the reputation of the past three in the series. While it has a few charms here and there, they are mostly overshadowed by its flaws. Battles are fun when you first start, but the lack of reward you get for battling makes them more pointless as you go along.As a long time fan of Paper Mario, I was truly excited for a handheld installment. Unfortunately, I don't feel this game lives up to the reputation of the past three in the series. While it has a few charms here and there, they are mostly overshadowed by its flaws. Battles are fun when you first start, but the lack of reward you get for battling makes them more pointless as you go along. The sticker concept is an interesting idea, but the stickers themselves had many flaws, such as many being over powered and unnecessary to use against almost any enemy. The boss battles were either tough as nails or complete pushovers depending on if you had the right stickers to use. I can say that many of the puzzles the game had to offer were fairly clever and really did get you thinking on which sticker you needed to solve it, Lastly, the lack of a story and creative Paper Mario staples made it feel like I was playing a main game rather than a Paper Mario game. All in all, I'd highly recommend playing the first three games before going to this one. Expand
  30. Nov 27, 2015
    This game has got some of the worst gameplay ever!I can't even make it past the second level because this game just throws you in and expects the impossible!Although I have never played the first two games,they have got really good reviews and Super Paper Mario is a really good game,but Sticker Star is just horrible!The only good part about this game is the absolutely amazingThis game has got some of the worst gameplay ever!I can't even make it past the second level because this game just throws you in and expects the impossible!Although I have never played the first two games,they have got really good reviews and Super Paper Mario is a really good game,but Sticker Star is just horrible!The only good part about this game is the absolutely amazing soundtrack,but that is the only positive about this game.DON'T BUY THIS GAME!!!!! Expand
  31. Nov 8, 2015
    It's a good game, but not a great RPG.
    It's a good game, but not a great RPG.
    In Paper Mario: Sticker Star, you don't level up or gain new moves. You find stickers to use in battle, so the game is more about managing resources rather than grinding for levels. There's no reward for battling other than coins, and the only thing you spend coins on are more stickers. The game is pretty easy, I beat it in only a week, but the boss battles are tough, and cause massive spikes in difficulty. But the game is still good; the visuals are nice, it has some good ideas to it, and it's very fun to play. It has some lost RPG elements, but it's still fun to play, and it shouldn't be overlooked.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star gets a 7/10
  32. Oct 28, 2015
    This game was probably one of the most disappointing games I've experienced in a long while.
    Let's start off with the one positive: the dialogue is funny. Sometimes.
    Let's start off with the one positive: the dialogue is funny. Sometimes.
    The main problem is that the sticker system is completely flawed. I had to restart the final boss several times simply because I didn't have enough of the right kind of sticker, when I had no way of knowing what I had to get.
    The challenge is almost nonexistent, as there is no experience to be gained. The amount of damage you do is based on two things: Firstly, the type of sticker you use. The way you get new, better stickers is by buying them or by replaying old levels, so there's almost no challenge in getting them. Secondly, how well you use the sticker. The basic stickers can be mastered easily, and the more advanced stickers attack automatically, so there's no challenge to be found. In fact, the sticker system itself makes battles completely pointless. Enemies are fought to get coins. Coins are used to buy stickers. Stickers are used to fight enemies.
    The game is extremely linear, not allowing for much exploration, unlike the other Paper Mario games.
    The worlds are boring and stale, with the regular Grass world, Desert world, Forest world, Water world, Ice world, Fire/Jungle world. Compare that to the previous Paper Mario games, where you were in a toy box, or fighting in an arena, or in a parodied Underworld.
    The partner system and the badge system were removed, eliminating all variety in the game.
    The generic NPC helper has no memorable personality whatsoever, so really the game has none of the charm of the previous ones. The small witty interactions between the characters was one of the best things of the Paper Mario series.
    The plot is a complete copy of the first Paper Mario game: Bowser gets ultimate shiny object and captures princess, defeat Bowser and rescue princess.
    Overall, the game is an unoriginal, unchallenging, and unenjoyable mess.
  33. Oct 19, 2015
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, that's how Miyamoto should have thought when he told the designers to change the concept to Sticker Star. Thanks to Miyamoto the end result became a huge dissapointment, with a broken battle system and a flat story. Even if the music is kinda nice, I would never recommend this to a true Paper Mario fan.
  34. Sep 24, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion, this first handheld Paper Mario isn't strictly a "bad" game; it's just poor in comparison to previous entries in the series. Where past games had a vast array of varied humorous and unique characters, this one mostly uses creatures from standard Mario games, which weakens its value in my opinion. In addition, battle partners are gone, with your only companion for the majority of the game being Kersti; a character that sometimes makes some funny lines but doesn't actually directly attack enemies herself, instead providing the occasional hint on what Mario should do next in his adventure. Speaking about the storyline, that is another element that for me, fell short of the standards set by prior entries; instead of a new enemy trying to destroy the world, you've instead got the generic "Bowser causing chaos" plot. In addition, after Super Paper Mario's RPG/platforming hybrid, Paper Mario: Sticker Star sort of returns to the RPG style; I say sort of because levelling-up and set attacks are gone. Instead, you'll need to collect stickers scattered around the world which are used as your one-use methods of attack, each sticker having different properties. I found this method not quite as fun as past entries, as if you have no stickers, you're left with no means of attacking. Also, due to a lack of levelling-up, attacking non-boss enemies is rather pointless in this game. Overall, this is an okay game, but when compared to other Paper Mario games, Sticker Star is immensely disappointing. Expand
  35. Jul 19, 2015
    This game is absolute, complete garbage. The fact that Nintendo took money from people for this game is a disgrace. I've given Paper Mario two chances since the amazing, incredible Thousand Year Door, and that little twerp has blown both chances. At least the Wii Paper Mario had some redemptive qualities. This, on the other hand....

Look at any negative review. What will you see?

Look at any negative review. What will you see? That battles here are pointless. Why? Well, when you go into battle, you use stickers. What do you get when you win a battle? More stickers. No EXP points... just...more stickers. So why the hell would I want to go into battle with ANYONE!? Good God, who thought this was a good idea? There was NO ONE who thought to speak up and say something?! Who's working at Nintendo these days? The Minions from Despicable Me?

This is literally the worst game I've played.. maybe ever. I owned Superman 64. I took more enjoyment out of that game (yes, I used cheat codes to make it bearable but still).

I WANTED to like this game. I put ELEVEN hours into it, trying to convince myself that hey, this isn't so bad. Then as I was running through a forest, dodging enemies (again, battles are pointless wastes of time) it hit me. This game is so bad, I would rather have a lobotomy than be forced to play it another second.
  36. Jul 7, 2015
    I guess I can see what the fan base makes it out to be, its simply a slimmed down Paper Mario spin off with great creativite sticker visuals and a lot of missing mechanics from past games. However, backtracking in certain objectives is troubling and can cause frustration at times, besides that it has a solid story and pretty neat sticker elements during battles, but that's the only useI guess I can see what the fan base makes it out to be, its simply a slimmed down Paper Mario spin off with great creativite sticker visuals and a lot of missing mechanics from past games. However, backtracking in certain objectives is troubling and can cause frustration at times, besides that it has a solid story and pretty neat sticker elements during battles, but that's the only use during combat. Overall the game may not be console quality, but is done good enough for new comers to the Paper Mario games, but really its more of a slimmed down paper mario that is only worth it for its graphics, minor uses with the stickers and humor.
    Story: 8.3 Still has a bit of its humor left
    Game Play: Solid 9.2 Nice to control sticker peeling fun
    Fighting Mechanics: 6.5 Fairly Simplistic sticker usage limitation
    RPG Elements: 5.5 Very Slimmed Down Compared To Other PM Games
  37. Jun 5, 2015
    Fans of the Paper Mario series won't be disappointed. Yet another fine entry and it looks amazing on the New 3DS. It's not Super Paper Mario or Thousand Year Door, nor does it pretend to be. It's a new entry in the series and quite enjoyable. Recommended for anyone who has played all the others.
  38. May 30, 2015
    I'm going to list the main reasons that I disliked it, so this may get long.
    I'm going to list the main reasons that I disliked it, so this may get long.
    1. It had little story. It was literally bowser causes havoc, breaks the sticker star, and kidnaps peach. Other games had more interesting stories (Bowser steals the Star rod so that only his wishes are granted, The X-Nauts are trying to revive a 1,000 year old demon with the crystal stars, Count Bleck wants to destroy the entire universe)
    2. It had no memorable characters. The other games had the partners/ pixls who were very memeorable, and even the NPCs were memorable (Don Pianta, Merlon, the previous 3: bowser) but this had Kirsti, who was as flat as the world that you inhabit.
    3. There were no reason to battle enemies. They don't give any EXP, only coins which you use to buy more stickers. And because your attacks are stickers, which you consume, you eventually avoid battles to save enough stickers for the boss, speaking of which
    4. The boss fights sucked. You could only defeat them efficiently if you use their Weakness 'Thing,' but the game gives no indication of what it's weakness is. As a reference, in TTYD, early on in hooktail castle, Kolorado's father writes in his letter that Hooktail dislikes the sound of crickets, and right after you get the ability to turn sideways, there is a badge that makes Mario's attacks sound like Crickets. However, if you somehow missed the badge, you can still beat him as the badge only affects his attack/defense. In this game, If you didn't find the specific Thing laying on the ground a few stages before the boss, then you'll waste all of your stickers trying to fight him. And if you win after using all your stickers, Kersti will ask you if there was a more efficient way of going about it. If a game basically demands that you use a guide to make sure you have the boss's weakness, then that isn't good. (and Bowser has 5 forms, each with their own weakness)
  39. May 24, 2015
    In my honest opinion, this game is about a 7 or an 8 but considering the horrible reviews given, I'll bump it up a couple notches to even out some reviews. Okay, I'll try to keep me review as short as possible. The presentation of this game is wonderful. Nice interface, beautiful graphics, and fun worlds (for the most part). I'm sad about losing the level up system and the lack of RPGIn my honest opinion, this game is about a 7 or an 8 but considering the horrible reviews given, I'll bump it up a couple notches to even out some reviews. Okay, I'll try to keep me review as short as possible. The presentation of this game is wonderful. Nice interface, beautiful graphics, and fun worlds (for the most part). I'm sad about losing the level up system and the lack of RPG influences but I mean they did away with that on Super Paper Mario before anyway. The battles are still turn based and really nothing is that much different than the fact that you use stickers for the battle system. Which in some way, the stickers really work! I actually liked the sticker system honestly. Now my main drawbacks are two things: one the "things" included in the game. Sometimes it gets confusing when to use them and you don't really know without trial and error since there are no hints given, making this game frustrating at times. The other downfall is the story (or lack thereof). This is my main gripe. Basically bowser steals the royal stickers and you have to get them back. That's about it. There are short interludes of "stories" in between a boss battle and going to the next world but they seem kinda thrown together and they're made by rhymes. It was nice having lots of dialogue and fun characters in previous games but you won't find that here. All in all, it's a 7-8 game that could've easily been a 9 or 10 with just a few small tweaks and a little more thought added. Expand
  40. May 19, 2015
    I enjoyed Sticker Star. It's no Thousand Year Door...but it sure as hell is a good game. Sticker Star had new battle mechanics which actually needed some skill to use. I think that is what threw people off the most.
  41. Mar 2, 2015
    Simply, the worst Paper Mario game by far, Nintendo changed all good mechanics of the previous games for annoying non-intuitive new ones.

First of all and most important, the new sticker battle mechanic is irritating most of the times, and particularly, on boss battles. Normal enemies only drop coins, and occasionally, stickers, so there's no need to fight them unless you want to trash weak stickers. Most of the times you're going to escape these fights to save your valuables stickers. Without a battle partner the game tends to be very monotone and repetitive. The controls are basics and they don't take advantage of the 3DS.

Taking off the battle system, it could be a very good game, like Super Paper Mario, because the story is interesting, the graphics are appealing and the music recalls the original atmosphere of the series.

If you enjoyed the older games, please don't buy this one, you're going to have a bad time.
  42. Jan 13, 2015
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star breaks the trend of Paper Mario games coming to consoles and Mario & Luigi games coming to handhelds...does it break even more trends than that?

I was a big fan of Super Paper Mario and I probably enjoyed it a bit more than I should, no matter how much things it did differently from Paper Mario (N64) and Thousand-Year Door (GCN). I was a bit hesitant about Sticker Star but it proved to be a decent game. The first difference you'll notice is the addition of a world map. The map makes it easier to get from level to level and it suits a portable adventure. However, this is probably one of the more excusable of Sticker Star's many tradition-breaking gameplay elements.

Mario no longer attacks during battles. Yep, you heard me. Instead, he uses various stickers he finds scattered around the world to use. Hammer stickers allow Mario to use a hammer, fire flower stickers allow Mario to throw fire, and there's much more. However, you can run out of stickers incredibly fast as you'll find yourself fighting enemies more times than you'd like to. It you run out of stickers, it can be pretty hard to get your supply back up. The battle system works great, along with the roulette spinner (it can give you more attacks), I just wish it was a bit more improved.

One of my other main problems with the game is the story. Mario RPGs always have complex and engaging stories, with the possible exception of the first Paper Mario. Super Paper Mario is a fantastic example of great storytelling. Sticker Star's story: Bowser crashes a festival and kidnaps Peach. Mario must collect items in the world. Sounds a lot like Super Mario Galaxy. The story is way too simple for an RPG in my opinion but it doesn't make the gameplay bad or anything. In fact, the gameplay itself is very fluid and nice. At points you may come across things you need to fix which requires a "Thing Sticker"...which brings me to another point.

Thing Stickers are...well, things (fans, trumpets, toy boats, etc.) that can do certain things in battles and in the overworld. Unfortunately, you can run out of Thing Stickers so you will find yourself backtracking to past levels over and over again to find the specific Thing Sticker you need to accomplish a task. Kind of ruins the "portable" experience a bit.

Overall, Paper Mario: Sticker Star isn't a bad game. In fact, I enjoyed it...but when you have to use a guide to see where to get Thing Stickers and the story doesn't match an RPG, there's probably something a bit off.
  43. Dec 30, 2014
    The game is full of charm and the visuals are absolutely beautiful, but the "use stickers to attack" gameplay lacks any kind of depth, making this game feel very stale and not as fun as it could be if it had the RPG elements of the previous games.
  44. Dec 4, 2014
    La razón principal por la que le coloco un 9 a este juego es por que pienso diferente al promedio... La mayoría odio este juego por que no era un Paper Mario real, y es verdad, no lo es, es una fusión entre Mario RPG y Paper Mario que dio una combinación rara pero original, y esto le da un toque único a este juego... Tal vez la marca no sea la correcta, pero si no lo vemos como PaperLa razón principal por la que le coloco un 9 a este juego es por que pienso diferente al promedio... La mayoría odio este juego por que no era un Paper Mario real, y es verdad, no lo es, es una fusión entre Mario RPG y Paper Mario que dio una combinación rara pero original, y esto le da un toque único a este juego... Tal vez la marca no sea la correcta, pero si no lo vemos como Paper Mario, sino como un RPG, es un muy buen experimento. Expand
  45. Nov 14, 2014
    I like the Paper Mario games because of their light-hearted, but still validly present story, and always interesting game mechanics. Unfortunately, while Sticker Star makes a valid attempt at both, it is flawed on both counts.

The story is even more shallow than is to be expected: while the humor is still present, the underlying story is weak and in tatters. The gameplay is flawed in

The gameplay is flawed in that your inventory of various attacks and abilities are useless against bosses -- forcing you to use "things" to attack them effectively. If you haven't found the right "thing" or haven't paid enough in-game currency, you're out of luck.

The idea of an inventory of attacks is interesting, but is often undercut by issues like the above.

Overall, the game is an attempt at a good Paper Mario game that just completely fails in its execution.
  46. Oct 6, 2014
    Absolutely terrible. One of the worst Nintendo games I have ever played. They progression through the story is non-intuitive and nearly impossible to figure out by yourself without a guide. The sticker system is honestly just annoying, and the series has lost all of its narrative charm. I tried so hard to play this game but I stopped playing without even beating it. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, IAbsolutely terrible. One of the worst Nintendo games I have ever played. They progression through the story is non-intuitive and nearly impossible to figure out by yourself without a guide. The sticker system is honestly just annoying, and the series has lost all of its narrative charm. I tried so hard to play this game but I stopped playing without even beating it. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. I truely don't understand positive reviews, probably people who played the game for an hour. Expand
  47. Sep 9, 2014
    A decent game, but would go with paper mario the thousand year door a thousand times over, no pun intended. It just lacks a good story like the two first paper marios.
  48. Jul 31, 2014
    What was once considered a staple game series for Nintendo consoles has now devolved into a simplistic and uninspired rehash. The new Paper Mario game's main feature revolves around the use of consumable attacks known as "stickers" which restricts access to even the most basic of abilities if you don't have the consumable stickers to use them. This is stacked on top of a plethora ofWhat was once considered a staple game series for Nintendo consoles has now devolved into a simplistic and uninspired rehash. The new Paper Mario game's main feature revolves around the use of consumable attacks known as "stickers" which restricts access to even the most basic of abilities if you don't have the consumable stickers to use them. This is stacked on top of a plethora of removed features from the previous games such as a leveling system and the inclusion of companions to help Mario along his way. With the lack of basic RPG mechanics such as a leveling system, even the basic premise of the stickers is removed since actually engaging in battles serves no purpose but to gather more stickers for you even though enough of which to progress through the game are found scattered all over each individual level.

If you're looking for the next Thousand Year Door, or even the next Super Paper Mario in terms of writing and overall quality and design, cast your eyes elsewhere because Sticker Star will not provide.
  49. Jul 9, 2014
    This Paper Mario feels like nothing else in the series. It is hard to get into, with no real direction given. The combat is long and the combat system is clumsy. The stickers are not fun or very useful most of the time. There are so many limits placed on Mario. There is no flip world, and after playing Zelda Link Between Worlds I would say it is more loyal to the Paper Mario spirit thanThis Paper Mario feels like nothing else in the series. It is hard to get into, with no real direction given. The combat is long and the combat system is clumsy. The stickers are not fun or very useful most of the time. There are so many limits placed on Mario. There is no flip world, and after playing Zelda Link Between Worlds I would say it is more loyal to the Paper Mario spirit than Sticker Star. More than a little disappointed this game as it could have been something else without tarnishing the Mario brand. Expand
  50. Jul 6, 2014
    In a paper world, stickers fit right in place. The best part of this RPG is the absence of experience. No more annoying grinding I hated in previous Paper Mario titles.
  51. Jun 4, 2014
    Paper Mario:Sticker Star was my third fav Paper Mario game with N64 and GC Paper Mario to be leaded
    i enjoy battle system in this as well at least the thing that liked about it was return to that, the game could been better
  52. Apr 9, 2014
    Like many other Paper Mario fans, this game was a bit disappointing to me, but for some reason I kind of knew that Nintendo was not just going to go straight back to the amazing gameplay of Paper Mario 1 & 2. I mean the trailers made the game look very promising to the point where I was excited, but I do think that unfortunately this just went a totally different direction. However enoughLike many other Paper Mario fans, this game was a bit disappointing to me, but for some reason I kind of knew that Nintendo was not just going to go straight back to the amazing gameplay of Paper Mario 1 & 2. I mean the trailers made the game look very promising to the point where I was excited, but I do think that unfortunately this just went a totally different direction. However enough of this kind of talk for this is a game that I actually do like, I like the atmosphere and gameplay fairly well. I did think the sticker concept was neat but nothing special. There were some witty dialogue that is expected for a Paper Mario game and some alright characters. Also, the music; some people have actually stated that they really like the music, however to me it seemed like a hit or miss. Now lets talk about my two biggest problems in this game. First off, the story; if this is a Paper Mario game it should have a nice good story, but it had some very cliche elements in it that were annoying and of course another reuse of the generic "Bowser kidnaps Peach" which was annoying enough, but I think it was even worse because Bowser never talks which is a shame since he had some great witty dialogue in some of the previous games. However the biggest flaw in this game is the battles, for the battles in this game give you absolutely no experience, the only thing you get in battles is either more stickers or more coins, and all the stickers can be used for is just for more battles and what do the coins do, just buy more stickers, so besides battling bosses, it felt too redundant. Overall this game was not terrible, just something that I only enjoyed a little bit. For there were so many awesome aspects of the Paper Mario series I like that even Super Paper Mario had, that were not present in this game leaving me displeased. However I still had fun when I could ignore the flaws and I guess it nothing that I would consider all that bad so I will only slightly recommend this game. Expand
  53. Mar 29, 2014
    Before we tackle why I gave this a 3, let's discuss what made it's predecessors great. First, the RPG elements made each battle worth it, with minimal grinding, battles were always enjoyable and it felt as if you were making a difference. Unfortunately, Sticker Star did not live up to this, with no RPG elements within the game it made battling a chore. The sticker system made it so you areBefore we tackle why I gave this a 3, let's discuss what made it's predecessors great. First, the RPG elements made each battle worth it, with minimal grinding, battles were always enjoyable and it felt as if you were making a difference. Unfortunately, Sticker Star did not live up to this, with no RPG elements within the game it made battling a chore. The sticker system made it so you are forced to attack with the penalty of losing a sticker when you use it, and what do you get after wasting your time battling? Coins used to buy more stickers and replace the ones you just used. It's just a circle of buy and use giving no incentive for battle.
    Another specialty the past games had was partners. The partner system gave the past games a sense of difference between other RPG's. Although Super Paper Mario was a bit iffy with their partner system, I still enjoyed the execution I've played and beat all past Paper Mario games and was eagerly awaiting to see what partners were to come. My hopes fell flat when I saw no partners in the game whatsoever. Instead there's an annoying crown shaped sprite following you throughout your useless journey.
    Also, the open world in previous games gave a sense of freedom throughout the game. All games lived up to this, from roaming the main towns, to warping through the doors of flipside. I was again disappointed with the the generic travel through level select. I'm not saying level select is bad, but Paper Mario wise, it should be a necessity.
    Lastly, the execution of story line. Past games have impacted my childhood like no game could have ever had. I remember saving the Mushroom Kingdom, the world, then the entire universe! It was a delightful adventure that I will always treasure from my childhood. What's the story line here?... Rescue the royal stickers... why? Because of the sticker festival in the beginning... This poor presentation of what I'm fighting for gives little to no incentive for me to complete the game. "Hooray! I got all the Royal Stickers!" "Now we can party!" That's just not appealing to me whatsoever.
    Now that we got the comparison between predecessors, let's talk about why it was a bad game... Everything above! No RPG elements, partners, open world, or story makes this "adventure" fall flat on its face and has forced me to give it a painful score of 3.
    It's as the title predicts, it's 2 dimensional. If you haven't played the past games, play those instead of this paper thin mess.
  54. Mar 29, 2014
    The adventure of Paper Mario games had me loving this game since the original Paper Mario on the Nintendo 64. The fact the developers decided to force a world system like they did ruined the adventure system of the game; which many people had come to love and consider that one of the prime features of Paper Mario. Ditching the leveling system made battling anything but bosses useless.The adventure of Paper Mario games had me loving this game since the original Paper Mario on the Nintendo 64. The fact the developers decided to force a world system like they did ruined the adventure system of the game; which many people had come to love and consider that one of the prime features of Paper Mario. Ditching the leveling system made battling anything but bosses useless. Disappointed and hoping for a turn for the better in the next game. Expand
  55. Mar 29, 2014
    This was by far one of the worst games I've ever played, I'm not exaggerating. I don't understand why everyone was giving it 8, 9, and 10s this game was not just the worst in the series but it was just horrible in general. And to all the people who say that Super Paper Mario was bad, no it wasn't, sure it was different but it was still an RPG it had leveling up, and creative worldsThis was by far one of the worst games I've ever played, I'm not exaggerating. I don't understand why everyone was giving it 8, 9, and 10s this game was not just the worst in the series but it was just horrible in general. And to all the people who say that Super Paper Mario was bad, no it wasn't, sure it was different but it was still an RPG it had leveling up, and creative worlds (chapters). But as for Sticker Star, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems took away everything good about Paper Mario 64 and PMTTYD and published this "new addition" to the series. But it was downright terrible, all I can say was that it had nice graphics and a couple good sound tracks, but that was it. Sticker Star had no leveling up, which made battling pointless for the game. You could probably fight no enemies and just make money from the stickers you find in blocks to get better ones and just fight bosses and beat the game, and now that I'm talking about it, the Sticker idea for fighting was flawed in all ways possible, it required no skill, you could only use one sticker once, and then get no xp for fighting and just money from fighting to buy more pointless stickers. The worlds (Chapters) were linear and bland PM64, PMTTYD and Super Paper Mario, they all had creative chapter designs and plots, most chapters in the the original 3 were creative and had more story to them then just collecting the Star Spirit, Crystal Star, or Pure Heart you needed to get. Sticker Star had bland chapter designs and bland plots to them, all it was was "beat some levels, backtrack into other levels after solving a puzzle, fight the boss, get the Sticker Crown." That was it, and the bosses were creative too! they were just souped up normal enemies from the game. Even worse, you needed seome one of a kind sticker to easily beat them, which is ridiculous The game had too many challenging moments like World 3, i had to go on IGN for walkthroughs far too many times then i should have. There were no partners either, Partners i the Paper Mario games made it what it was. Goombario, Bow, Watt, Lakilester, Yosi, Vivian, Bomberry were amazing and had personality, not like Kersti who probably sounded like she was reading directly from a script. Even Super Paper Mario kind of had partners, the Pixls, still better then not having any at all. What was more annoying was that Bowser was the final boss, I loved how PMTTYD and Super Paper Mario didn't make Bowser the final boss like in other Mario games, and even in Paper Mario 64 Bowser was the main enemy, but the went in depth to his character and his plot, Bowser had NO LINES in Sticker Star. I honestly don't understand how some of you like this game, I won't attack you for liking it but you cant focus on the games nice graphics, because that's the only good thing about it. Overall this game was a train wreck, I hope Nintendo and Intelligent Systems redeem them selves and make a game more styled like PM64 or PMTTYD. Expand
  56. Feb 18, 2014
    Sticker system makes battling totally pointless. I was able to stay and complete the game though out of pure love of the paper mario series. Its too bad they removed the RPG elements and dumbed the game down to making battling such a chore.
  57. Feb 17, 2014
    Disappointing. This coming from a long time fan of the Paper Mario franchises that has loved and treasured these games since the beginning. Sadly however this game removes any of the charming locales, characters and overall level design of the previous installments. Any of the notable RPG elements such as XP are completely removed and simple moves such as jumping in combat or swinging yourDisappointing. This coming from a long time fan of the Paper Mario franchises that has loved and treasured these games since the beginning. Sadly however this game removes any of the charming locales, characters and overall level design of the previous installments. Any of the notable RPG elements such as XP are completely removed and simple moves such as jumping in combat or swinging your hammer require a sticker which just seems pointless. I still have high hopes for this franchise but not in this... abomination. The original on the N64 and its sequel on the GameCube deserve your time much more so than this astronomically low-point for the series. Expand
  58. Feb 17, 2014
    I like how it is an Turn based RPG again. For a hand held it was ok. I didn't really like the sticker thing, hopefully soon paper mario will return to the console(s) and stay more true to its original gamer audience paper mario on N64 or thousand year door.
  59. Feb 16, 2014
    I was very disappointed by the gameplay concept. It was far too simple and that's not what I play paper Mario for. This is the weakest game I've played in what has always been a charming series. Hope they put more effort in the future
  60. Feb 4, 2014
    This is one of the most boring, uninteresting, and disappointing "video game" I have ever played in my life.

The games first downfall is it's story and writing. it's the typical Mario story. "Bowser is evil, go stop him". No other Paper Mario before has such a lazy story. And the writing is not even funny. Unlike the previous games. The graphics are the only good part about this

The graphics are the only good part about this game. the paper world looks fantastic and the 3D effect does a great job of making the world pop out.

The game-play is boring and has zero strategy. there is no point in fighting enemy's as you cannot level up. All the bosses can be defeated in one hit with the right stickers. And the game is overall just a chore to play.

OVERALL-
  61. Feb 3, 2014
    Paper Mario 64? Beautiful. Paper Mario thousand year door? Glorious. Super Paper Mario. Marvelous.
    Sticker Star? Sold it on eBay for 10 bucks just to get it out of my house. The reason i play paper mario is to get out of the same ol same ol Mario, and sticker star is that all over again. Now, tell me if you have been lost at least once. If you have to go to ign 10 times to beat a game, that's a problem. Also, it removed partners. Tippi, bombett, bow, yoshi kid, watt, ms. mowz. These partners and everybody else made paper mario what it is , and i misss them. the only reason i'm giving this 1 is because of the art. It is pretty good. BUT THAT'S IT.
  62. Feb 2, 2014
    An overall OK game. It has nice graphics and a neat overall design. I really liked the boss fights and small riddles in the game. You will play it quite long if you want to find everything. Sadly there is not a single element like character development or level-ups. You just get stronger by collecting better stickers which are used to attack or by finding some max health upgrades. IAn overall OK game. It has nice graphics and a neat overall design. I really liked the boss fights and small riddles in the game. You will play it quite long if you want to find everything. Sadly there is not a single element like character development or level-ups. You just get stronger by collecting better stickers which are used to attack or by finding some max health upgrades. I expected more RPGish gameplay but the game is still good. Just not what I expected it to be Expand
  63. Jan 12, 2014
    It was unfortunate that the formula was really screwed up on for this Paper Mario Game...as my favorite series of all time, I wasn't happy about this game. Fortunately, the ok battle system and good dialogue+places can secure this game a solid 7. I will say that I am disappointed with this game though...especially the lack of rpg elements and a world map

Gameplay: 8/10 Story: 7/10

Gameplay: 8/10
    Story: 7/10
    Music: 9.5/10
    Presentation: 8/10
    Length: 7/10
    Overall: 7.5/10
  64. Dec 17, 2013
    This game follows a fairly typical Mario storyline and restores the style of gameplay from the first two Paper Mario outings thankfully. The writing is witty and enjoyable, and I was laughing out loud at several points, sometimes to the concern of my roommates.

In this game, the structure morphs to something more similar to Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World, having you complete a stage so you can go to the next stage along the path. There are several points where it diverges and several hidden secrets. Sometimes, you must go to another one of the worlds areas before you can advance in another. This prevents the game from going stale from being too linear, but it goes to the opposite problem of forcing you to retread certain areas too often. Not a huge problem, but enough to be a smudge in the otherwise enjoyable structure.

Unlike previous Paper Mario games, the turn-based system is now almost entirely dependent on stickers. If you have no stickers, you better hope you can run. As a result, you make sure that you're stocked up and ready to take on the next foe. You also end up peeling all the stickers off the walls that you can find. You can choose to donate them to a museum for the reward of some great humor, but otherwise, you'll likely be very stingy with your stickers, not wanting to use them.

This is where the games biggest flaw rears it's head. The boss battles are ridiculous. Sometimes they force you to use a special sticker to defeat them. These stickers can either be found in one place or brought for a ridiculous price, and you can only have one. This forces you to retread more or gouge your pockets empty to get what you need. These stickers hardly seem special either because they're based on appliances or little knick-knacks. Knowing what to use is very vague and up to trial and error if you don't want to use the internet as a resource. Then there's the final battle, which will require several of these special stickers. This final battle is frustrating as a result, and unfortunately, it usually freezes when I try to play through it. I put this game down for a month as a result.

It's sad to see that the most charming elements of removing all these stickers and using them also becomes the worst elements of the game. Aside from the special stickers, and the freezing up that occurs during the final battle (don't use the bowling ball), this game is very enjoyable.
  65. Dec 14, 2013
    I have been a Paper Mario Fan since the first one on the 64, but this was honestly somewhat of a disappointment. Its like they sucked almost all the rpg elements out of the game. It's not horrible, but just too different from the others
  66. Nov 24, 2013
    Being a HUGE fan of the Paper Mario franchise I purchased Sticker Star with a predetermined bias. That being said: after getting used to the sticker feature in terms of battles I grew to enjoy the level of freedom that gave the player. There is some heat of the Super Mario World-esq transportation between levels which inherently takes away from the open world that us Paper Mario fans love.Being a HUGE fan of the Paper Mario franchise I purchased Sticker Star with a predetermined bias. That being said: after getting used to the sticker feature in terms of battles I grew to enjoy the level of freedom that gave the player. There is some heat of the Super Mario World-esq transportation between levels which inherently takes away from the open world that us Paper Mario fans love. While this is true, its not a game killer. the adventure is still exciting and sometimes with a hint of challenge. I thoroughly enjoyed this game and would play it again. Expand
  67. Nov 6, 2013
    I love Paper Mario. I always have. That's why it pains me to give this game a much lower score than I waited months to give it. There's no doubt the concepts in PMSS are sound, the presentation is spectacular both in audio and visually, and the charm is off the charts. The problem is there is no rewarding systems built into the game to justify some of the design choices. Turn based battlesI love Paper Mario. I always have. That's why it pains me to give this game a much lower score than I waited months to give it. There's no doubt the concepts in PMSS are sound, the presentation is spectacular both in audio and visually, and the charm is off the charts. The problem is there is no rewarding systems built into the game to justify some of the design choices. Turn based battles leave you with no sense of progress of satisfaction as there are no star points or leveling up, only coins and stickers which are all over the game world anyway. This was promised for a long time to be a return to the kind of Mario RPG masterpiece that 1,000-Year-Door was, but the game gets in the way of that promise at almost every pivotal turn. The fact this could have been a true sequel to TYD and perhaps even surpass it makes the disappointment and boredom this game offers all the more bitter. I'm sorry Paper Mario fans, I'm sorry Intelligent Systems, but I really don't like this game. Expand
  68. Sep 29, 2013
    This game isn't very good but its not bad. The sticker system could've worked, but making the basic attacks based off this was bad. Its confusing since they have a mix of level and open world layout that doesn't work because it requires to go astray from the linear path they chose, but it doesn't allow much freedom justifying it. The Humor and Graphics are still top notch, but this gameThis game isn't very good but its not bad. The sticker system could've worked, but making the basic attacks based off this was bad. Its confusing since they have a mix of level and open world layout that doesn't work because it requires to go astray from the linear path they chose, but it doesn't allow much freedom justifying it. The Humor and Graphics are still top notch, but this game would've been much better if it wasn't for the sticker system. Expand
  69. Sep 26, 2013
    I for one am flat out appalled by this game. I have so many things I hate about this game that I barely know where to start. The sticker system is terrible, they removed the actual storyline of the worlds and just made it another level to beat, I loved the partner systems in the previous games which they also removed, this game barely had any side quests like the others did, there wereI for one am flat out appalled by this game. I have so many things I hate about this game that I barely know where to start. The sticker system is terrible, they removed the actual storyline of the worlds and just made it another level to beat, I loved the partner systems in the previous games which they also removed, this game barely had any side quests like the others did, there were 0 cameos (which I am a HUGE fan of), they also put far too much of an emphasis on the sticker system. I have loved the Paper Mario series since I was a little kid and Thousand Year Door was the first game I ever played and I went on to play the original and then played Super Paper Mario, all of which were amazing, and I was ecstatic when I heard the news about this game coming out. I played through it and beat the game hoping that it would just miraculously get better, but it definitely didn't. I would not recommend this horrible game to even my worst enemy. Trust me, if you really like the Paper Mario series, DON'T PLAY THIS GAME!!! Expand
  70. Sep 22, 2013
    Lo malo que tiene este juego es que no podes subir de nivel, entonces cuando terminas una batalla no recibis nada de recompensa y tenes que conseguir o comprar mas pegatinas porque las perdes, me esperaba mucho mas de este juego
  71. Aug 21, 2013
    I was so excited when I learned this game was coming out for the 3DS.......until I played the game. This game disgraces the Paper Mario franchise. Their is no open world like the 64 version, or the best one in the series for the GameCube, "The Thousand-Year Door." This game feels like I'm playing Super Mario Brothers 3 with the way they set up the game into levels. The game provided noI was so excited when I learned this game was coming out for the 3DS.......until I played the game. This game disgraces the Paper Mario franchise. Their is no open world like the 64 version, or the best one in the series for the GameCube, "The Thousand-Year Door." This game feels like I'm playing Super Mario Brothers 3 with the way they set up the game into levels. The game provided no emotion, no substance, nothing. If you enjoyed the game then I'm not going to knock you, but this is not a Paper Mario game. It was so bad to me that I don't even own it anymore. Expand
  72. Aug 19, 2013
    The music and graphics may be alright, but the substanceless, repetitive gameplay that has nearly nothing to do with Paper Mario is not worth your time or money. Spend 40 dollars on iPhone games instead.

P.S. Bowser has no lines of dialogue. NONE.
  73. Aug 15, 2013
    An amazing game everything that was lost with Super Paper Mario was reborn with Paper Mario Sticker Star. With great level design, amazing music (with Koji Kondo having a very new take on Mario music), great bosses, a decent storyline (that is saved by the characters), and a fantastic battle system. My only complaints are it can be hard to find out what to do at times, there aren't anyAn amazing game everything that was lost with Super Paper Mario was reborn with Paper Mario Sticker Star. With great level design, amazing music (with Koji Kondo having a very new take on Mario music), great bosses, a decent storyline (that is saved by the characters), and a fantastic battle system. My only complaints are it can be hard to find out what to do at times, there aren't any partners, and Mario never levels up but those are all just nitpicks. Expand
  74. Aug 12, 2013
    This game is bad, especially for a paper Mario title. This a bare bones RPG title, no level up system which makes battles annoying, the only use of coins is to buy stickers to waste on enemys that you don't really need to kill anyways hence the NEED of a level up system, a bad story, the fact I cant go through the game without going online consistenty, and pointless combat, deteriorateThis game is bad, especially for a paper Mario title. This a bare bones RPG title, no level up system which makes battles annoying, the only use of coins is to buy stickers to waste on enemys that you don't really need to kill anyways hence the NEED of a level up system, a bad story, the fact I cant go through the game without going online consistenty, and pointless combat, deteriorate what is great combat and exploration Expand
  75. Aug 10, 2013
    Although it has the best soundtrack in my opinion, it is technically the worst Paper Mario game overall. However, it doesn't mean it's a bad game, it still is a lot of fun and I recommend any newcomers to the series to try out this simple entry first before tackling the other ones.
  76. Aug 3, 2013
    My favorite installment in the Mario franchise is the paper Mario series. each title rarely eveir disappointed and even if it did it made up for it in other areas. Sticker star was a great game. while it abandoned some of its roots like partners, fp, and badges, sticker star was still fun and I hope to see more out of paper Mario soon. my only real concern is that im not sure how well thisMy favorite installment in the Mario franchise is the paper Mario series. each title rarely eveir disappointed and even if it did it made up for it in other areas. Sticker star was a great game. while it abandoned some of its roots like partners, fp, and badges, sticker star was still fun and I hope to see more out of paper Mario soon. my only real concern is that im not sure how well this game would have done if It weren't for the past 3 games. Expand
  77. Jul 13, 2013
    Great dialogue and music, enjoyable gameplay. The only thing that annoyed me was I felt you had to look up a guide at times to find out which sticker would be effective or go where, it wasn't really the obvious choice a lot of the time. A great game still, I enjoyed it a lot.
  78. Jun 24, 2013
    This is a bare-bones Mario game that only little kids will enjoy this experience, and here is why.
    Paper Mario is a deep and profound experience to many, with its clever sense of humor, charming graphics, enlightening visuals, and of course that "X" Factor that has seemed to intoxicate many gamers to create an enchanting bridge between RPG's and the beloved Super Mario Franchise.
    Having
    Having said that, it breaks my heart to say that this game is not the Paper Mario we have come to love and adore. The music is still wonderful, the comedy is subtle and cute, and the story is the perfect dualism of shallow and expansive that we have all come to enjoy so much.
    So what could be the problem? The game is not even an RPG in comparison to its predecessors. The game doesn't even give you a reward for entering battles, In fact quite the opposite, battles become a burden due to the using up of each sticker. Also meaning that you can go through the entire game only fighting the necessary battles and you would end up fine. Next is the severe lack companions, I understand You have Princess Rosalina's Crown the whole game and little characters every now and again like wiggler, but that's nothing compared to the amazing characters provided in the last game. Such as the bad boy Yoshi trying to be the best fighter, or the constantly injured koopa. It makes me miss Goombella the know it all and Vivian the singer and they were annoying.
    Before I rant here, let me just say that this game is quite obviously not made for the demographic it has typically appealed to, its for the kiddies. This is a game that has PLENTY to adore on the outside, but fundamentally has none of the core gameplay mechanics that has indoctrinated and cultivated the adoring fans it has today.
    If it were any other game i would give it a 6, but the Paper Mario coattails have brought it up one more number.

(By the way its de-LAWN-o-siz-ms)
  79. May 28, 2013
    This game is average in a series renowned for being some of the best ever created. The story is intriguing but nothing inspired and the rpg elements are abused to put it lightly. I never thought i would live to see the day where your most basic attack can become unavailable in a paper Mario game. if stickers had more than one use than the game might be better but in the end it feels likeThis game is average in a series renowned for being some of the best ever created. The story is intriguing but nothing inspired and the rpg elements are abused to put it lightly. I never thought i would live to see the day where your most basic attack can become unavailable in a paper Mario game. if stickers had more than one use than the game might be better but in the end it feels like you are wasting more uses than gaining by entering into the lackluster combat. in the end the game is not terrible but is not what the paper Mario series deserves Expand
  80. May 22, 2013
    Interesting new "sticker" mechanic. However they took out many core things that Paper Mario fans loved. Level progression, partner system, and even the badges. All the things that made Thousand Year Door such an amazing jump from the first Paper Mario were removed. Sure you had a few jokes here and there, but it was targeted to a much younger audience that the older fans just would findInteresting new "sticker" mechanic. However they took out many core things that Paper Mario fans loved. Level progression, partner system, and even the badges. All the things that made Thousand Year Door such an amazing jump from the first Paper Mario were removed. Sure you had a few jokes here and there, but it was targeted to a much younger audience that the older fans just would find dull. Your "partner" Kersti can get dull and tiring very similarly to the well known "Navi" from Legend of Zelda. Kersti will crack the same jokes, make the same boring faces, and get angry in the same way. Action commands are all the same (once you get to know them), but it's almost 100% based on timing your A button. Since there is no longer a partner system, you are given what is called the "Battle Spinner", which forces you to pay coins to take extra turns. This is either extremely good, or just plain dumb as you are relying heavily on luck most of the time. Gameplay is repetitive and the entire game has almost no replay value whatsoever. There are a few tedious "100%" completion tasks you can take part in, but for the most part there are little to no easter eggs. No hidden bosses, no challenging arenas, just hidden doors and more stickers. Not to mention the final boss is easily beaten once you figure it out. But after that there is literally nothing to do except go back and replay the entire game again (which is surprisingly short) trying to grind your coins back up to find your hidden doors. As I mentioned earlier, the game is extremely short in comparison to other Paper Mario games. Granted those were for a console, but to be able to complete the game in a few days is just sad. I believe my first playthrough took only 20-30 hours of gameplay. A few things to note that have been removed/changed from previous Paper Mario games (Excluding Super Paper Mario which was horrible):
    -No partner system. That means (no partner storyline, no hidden partners (miss mouze), no sidestories, no witty change of lines from your partners, nobody to help you take damage)
    -Kersti is the new Goomba partner, but with no tattle system. meaning no description of any of the enemies.
    -All your items are now stickers (good&bad. Good that you can more easily obtain items, Bad that the items are no longer unique and are only upgrades of the previous version. EVEN the "Thing" stickers!)
    -Unable to play as anyone other than Mario

In the end, Paper Mario Sticker Star seems like it could have had a lot of potential. If they waited a bit longer and made it far more developed. The game features a very limited number of levels and would benefit greatly if they had far more. We know you can do it Nintendo! Just look at the Superstar Saga!
  81. May 16, 2013
    It should be a good game however, it has caused me to look at guides too much.
    It's baffling as what to do in places. A game should challenge you right? This one has puzzles that you can't logically figure out, you just wander about for an hour then give up and google the guide. Very poor. It's the first Paper Mario game I'm not going to bother completing due to the annoyance.
  82. May 6, 2013
    I just don't get it... The first two paper mario games were absolute masterpieces. The third was very much a good idea, which I don't think was executed very well. Here's the thing... Paper Mario games had a way of getting me hooked and never wanting to stop. I almost had that with this game, but just couldn't simply because the design of it is horrible. Cutting up the world intoI just don't get it... The first two paper mario games were absolute masterpieces. The third was very much a good idea, which I don't think was executed very well. Here's the thing... Paper Mario games had a way of getting me hooked and never wanting to stop. I almost had that with this game, but just couldn't simply because the design of it is horrible. Cutting up the world into stages wouldn't be such a bad idea if it was just a simple sidescroller, but it isnt. It's got all of the frustration of an RPG overworld that forces you to backtrack and do things you've already done and are TIRED of doing again, and to no avail, you are forced to repeat and repeat. You can get to the second and third world of this game and realize that this is going to be a continuous thing. That's where I'd recommend stopping if you picked this game up, but don't. It's not worth it. Do yourself a favor and use your money on one of the other fantastic 3DS titles. Expand
  83. Apr 30, 2013
    The puzzles are quite hard to figure out but don't worry you will figure them out. When I get to the bosses it is frustrating because I use up most of my stickers. It is a really good adventure game and you need to think about your strategy.
  84. Apr 24, 2013
    This was the worst showing for Paper Mario since release. Nintendo has removed all of the RPG, all the humour and all of the more interesting settings. Besides that, progression in the game itself is slow, with countless save/load screens and arbitrary nonsense and busywork designed to lengthen game-play in an otherwise unremarkable game.
  85. Apr 16, 2013
    This is by far my least enjoyable Paper Mario game. The premise behind using a battle system that revolves around no leveling up or learning new abilities is a travesty for an awesome RPG series like Paper Mario. For the first couple hours, I liked using the stickers and thought it was a cool idea. Then I ran out of them and I literally couldn't attack or do anything. Talk about aThis is by far my least enjoyable Paper Mario game. The premise behind using a battle system that revolves around no leveling up or learning new abilities is a travesty for an awesome RPG series like Paper Mario. For the first couple hours, I liked using the stickers and thought it was a cool idea. Then I ran out of them and I literally couldn't attack or do anything. Talk about a buzzkill.....As my frustration mounted from this stupid sticker system, I would run away from enemy encounters to stave my stickers. That is pathetic, and a painful flaw in the game design.

The story is funny, but I had to use a game guide to get through it. I do not know how this game is intended for kids based off how many times I got stuck. The lack of side quests too and the linearity really bothered me. Kristi is your only party member which is incredibly disappointing. Doesn't help too Kristi is kinda of a debbie-downer throughout the whole game.

The graphics and sound are superb tho. I loved how vivid each environment looked and it really had the Paper Mario charm in the looks department. This game definitely disappointed me, but I still managed to have fun with it
  86. Mar 29, 2013
    For me it's a big disillusion. Except for some musics, there is no reason to play this game. No story, no companions, wasted combat system, no badges, no interesting npc, nothing.
  87. Mar 14, 2013
    The reason this game is poor is because there is simply no 'reward' for playing this game... The story is non existent, so there's no reason to play it for that. The characters are forgettable, so they don't keep your attention. The battle system is basic and hardly challenging or interesting. The boss battles are either impossible, or annoyingly easy, since they each have a very specificThe reason this game is poor is because there is simply no 'reward' for playing this game... The story is non existent, so there's no reason to play it for that. The characters are forgettable, so they don't keep your attention. The battle system is basic and hardly challenging or interesting. The boss battles are either impossible, or annoyingly easy, since they each have a very specific weakness that renders them dead in a matter of seconds. Then there's the platforming and puzzles. neither are interesting or engaging... Basic and tedious...

So if the story isn't interesting, The gameplay is dull, and the platforming is tedious,... Why play this game? There is no reason... There is no story to grab your interest and keep you going, it is bare bones 'Bowser kidnapped the princess and stole some power'. You may say 'well isnt that EVERY mario game?" Well, more or less, yes... but every Super Mario platformer has amazing platforming and fun levels to hop around and explore. This game does not have that redeeming quality.

"Well, isnt the turn based RPG elements still here?" Not really... it doesnt seem to be a Roleplaying game... It's just a turned based card game... but instead of elegant and amazingly designed characters with awe inspiring attacks... you have a variety of shoes, hammers, and miscellaneous items... you dont level these attacks up over time, you simply find more powerful stickers in the more higher leveled areas... rendering the dozens of basic attacks you stocked up on in previous levels useless. When you're playing you dont ask yourself "Okay, which attack would be best to use against this enemy?" You ask "Where the heck did i put that shiny sticker i just found under a rock?" and occasionally you consider the fact of whether the enemy is flying or has a spike on his head...

This is a very basic game... maybe something a young kid would enjoy and flourish in. the pretty colors and enviroments would catch their attention and the light story element might keep them entertained so they dont lose interest in the walls of text. but anyone who appreciates a good story, deep and enriching gameplay, or just having fun probably should skip this game... It doesnt technically do anything that doesn't work, it just doesnt do anything that makes this game entertaining... which is why you would play a game in the first place, right?
  88. Mar 13, 2013
    If you're a Paper Mario fan, you're either going to love it or hate. Of course just by looking at my score i loved it. The sticker system, while out of tradition, is fun to use, and great use of resource management. The puzzles are more engaging than in any other title. Not to mention the backtracking is not as dreadful as the previous titles, THANK GOD. My only gripe is the boss battlesIf you're a Paper Mario fan, you're either going to love it or hate. Of course just by looking at my score i loved it. The sticker system, while out of tradition, is fun to use, and great use of resource management. The puzzles are more engaging than in any other title. Not to mention the backtracking is not as dreadful as the previous titles, THANK GOD. My only gripe is the boss battles can be really annoying, forcing you to run away in order for you to find the 'right sticker'. Although I miss the old Paper Mario mechanics, this is certainly worth checking out. Expand
  89. Mar 13, 2013
    Yep, I'm really enjoying sticking stickers for this Paper Mario sequel. And not just that, this Paper Mario sequel features a new RPG-looking that much like a paper.
  90. Mar 9, 2013
    I am a big Paper Mario fan and I have kept up with the series since it ever came out. In my opinion I think this is one of the best Paper Mario games in the franchise. I have to admit that some of the RPG elements are gone but to me this game was fantastic with it's game play and fun ways in using different stickers. This game also was also harder than the other game, giving me a challengeI am a big Paper Mario fan and I have kept up with the series since it ever came out. In my opinion I think this is one of the best Paper Mario games in the franchise. I have to admit that some of the RPG elements are gone but to me this game was fantastic with it's game play and fun ways in using different stickers. This game also was also harder than the other game, giving me a challenge on what stickers I need to defeat each enemy. I think this also had great 3D visuals and I loved how this Paper Mario game made the world more paper like than any of the other games in the series. This game is fun and well made and is a great game for the Nintendo 3DS. Long live Paper Mario! Expand
  91. Mar 3, 2013
    The game had little to no character development, had a generic story, was not very interesting, had a broken battle system, and was sort of tedious. I will say that it was better than "Super Paper Mario," in that at times I did not even feel like I was playing a Mario game when playing "Super Paper Mario," but ultimately I did not feel that I was really immersed into the Mario world veryThe game had little to no character development, had a generic story, was not very interesting, had a broken battle system, and was sort of tedious. I will say that it was better than "Super Paper Mario," in that at times I did not even feel like I was playing a Mario game when playing "Super Paper Mario," but ultimately I did not feel that I was really immersed into the Mario world very deeply with Sticker Star either. I didn't really "get to know" characters very well. Some of the new Mario characters are sort of annoying. Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door is still by far my favorite. I wonder if Nintendo is still capable of making genuinely memorable games? Expand
  92. Feb 19, 2013
    If you loved paper mario:the thousand year door and think its an amazing game, and you're like "this game is its sequel I'm expecting so much", a friendly advice: forget it, this game is average at best unfortunately. No new characters other than Kersti,. Bowser the awsome villain doesn't say anything, and the changes in this game are too great. Don't get me wrong, changes aren't bad, butIf you loved paper mario:the thousand year door and think its an amazing game, and you're like "this game is its sequel I'm expecting so much", a friendly advice: forget it, this game is average at best unfortunately. No new characters other than Kersti,. Bowser the awsome villain doesn't say anything, and the changes in this game are too great. Don't get me wrong, changes aren't bad, but taking everything that was good in paper mario(partners, leveling, badges, playable characters etc) and replacing them with just stickers is like paying 10 bucks just to receive 2. I mean, just go to Wiki once and see differences between this game and its previous titles, and you'll get a WHOLE lot of "this is the first game in the series NOT to have (that)".The areas are too simple- snow area, desert, forest, unlike the usually unique places of previous paper mario games. One thing that i'd love to say is good but unfortunately didn't turn out that well is that this game is based on puzzles a lot more than other mario rpg's which would be a good thing, but it is very likely that you'll miss whatever you need to solve the puzzle and you'll have to backtrack to get it., and there are tons of stages. Sometimes the solutions don't make sense either. It is very likely that you'll be frustrated/stuck here and there:p The battle system is done entirely by stickers. No stickers=can't attack. At all. The battles feel and are pretty much unrewarding as you have no experience points/level. When you win you get coins, which you use to get stickers, but in order to win you have to use stickers, which is kinda..you know. But in the end they did revert back to turn based battle system-the only good change to the game imo. Although I did list tons of negative aspects compared to positive ones, this is by no means a bad game, but is far inferior to other mario rpg's. Expand
  93. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't know what to say about this game. This game can hardly even be called an RPG. The only "RPG" about it is that you meet enemies and engage combat with them in a turn-based battle. You get no experience points and when you run away from battle, the enemy disappears on the map like you actually defeated it. There is also no real point to combat other than getting coins, but those are pretty much only spent on the overpowered Things that you need to get in order to make Thing Stickers that you sometimes have to apply to the real world using your annoying sticker fairy partner's "paperize" ability. Sure, maybe you will need to buy a few mushrooms here and there but you can actually get all of these things EVERYWHERE in every level. The battles against a wave of enemies can get extremely annoying because you can't actually choose which enemy you are attacking: you will always attack the first one in the row. You need to use the Battle Spinner in order to attack enemies in the second row too, and it's extremely annoying. Bosses are unbalanced and can pretty much only be defeated by Thing Stickers. Some of them have certain weaknesses but these are never stated unless you've died about three times for not knowing something that was never hinted to. At a certain point I started to avoid combat altogether because I didn't want to waste the stickers I actually needed and either traverse previous levels to get some stickers again or return to Decalburg a billion of times in order restock on stickers(This may seem like it condradicts my previous statement but please keep in mind that this is still not a good thing no matter how you look at it.) Puzzles in the real world never have any real hints either: at a certain point in the game you have to freeze lava by pasting a certain Thing in the background. This could be a handful of Things: Shaved Ice, AIr Conditioner, Fan, etc. So yeah, it turned out to be the Air Conditioner but I only discovered that after failing numerous times with the other things it could possibly have been. There's too much trial and error like this throughout the whole game. But even with all these horrifying flaws, the game can still be fun. I had fun with the game and blasted through it quickly, but only because I had(with GameXplain's advice) watched some playthroughs a few weeks before it was released in Europe. I also have to praise the graphics: they look amazing. It's like the entire game was handcrafted and handdrawn by some sort of amazing artist: I had a lot of fun just watching the environment alone, ESPECIALLY World 4 and 5. But even then the environment is nothing that you won't find in the countless New Super Mario Bros. games: it's exactly those kind of worlds. Anyways, short summary: they could have done WAY better on pretty much everything in this game, but regardless of that it's still pretty fun and I reccommend it if you liked the previous Paper Mario games. Expand
  94. Feb 15, 2013
    This game was my least favorite in the paper mario series, it is extremely hard to finish without a game guide, it doesn't communicate with the player enough, the boss battles require specific hidden thing stickers that if the player doesn't find or use in battle, they will not be able to finish the boss fight, the availability of stickers is good though, and the levels (most of them) areThis game was my least favorite in the paper mario series, it is extremely hard to finish without a game guide, it doesn't communicate with the player enough, the boss battles require specific hidden thing stickers that if the player doesn't find or use in battle, they will not be able to finish the boss fight, the availability of stickers is good though, and the levels (most of them) are nicely done and sometimes pretty fun, but i dont see a use to the run away button if its a 50/50 chance to actually run away from a battle, it should be 100% if you tap A repeatedly.
    Final Score: 7.5, but there's no halfway scoring option T.T
  95. Feb 9, 2013
    Oh this game. This cute little broken game. I really tried to like it, I really did, but there is so many game breaking issues in it (from cheap bosses, confusing levels and 3D perspective gone wrong) that as soon as I tried warming up to it, i'd have to put it aside in frustration. It's really cute, charming and beautiful and I replayed from levels just to look at how amazing it reallyOh this game. This cute little broken game. I really tried to like it, I really did, but there is so many game breaking issues in it (from cheap bosses, confusing levels and 3D perspective gone wrong) that as soon as I tried warming up to it, i'd have to put it aside in frustration. It's really cute, charming and beautiful and I replayed from levels just to look at how amazing it really was. But the average gameplay and serious issues make it seem like it was never play tested. Expand
  96. Feb 8, 2013
    I really tried to give this game a chance. I really did. However, it rivals "Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood" in sheer crap factor. Sticker Star is just barely better in that you aren't forced to use the touchscreen to control the whole game. Sadly, where such touchscreen support would have been nice, it is glaringly absent, seemingly almost ignored. The plot is a bit too standard to a marioI really tried to give this game a chance. I really did. However, it rivals "Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood" in sheer crap factor. Sticker Star is just barely better in that you aren't forced to use the touchscreen to control the whole game. Sadly, where such touchscreen support would have been nice, it is glaringly absent, seemingly almost ignored. The plot is a bit too standard to a mario game, lacking any major twist to the plot that the previous entries in the series had. The complete lack of a development system makes the game fall very flat, as combat becomes nothing more than tedium, lacking real reason to exist. The sidekick you get is the most annoying since Navi herself and is even more useless than she is. All it needed to surpass her in raw annoyance was a sound effect telling you to listen like she does. For some reason, I found the constant use of the word 'sticker' to be very rapidly aggravating, and given it's said by almost every character in the game world, it was intolerable in less than 15 minutes or so. Once I hit a road block that had no obvious and immediate solution, I found myself feeling that I didn't like the game enough to bother looking at a game guide. I just shut it down, and went on to the next game I wanted to play. This game is an insult to the series, and the entire genre of JRPGs as a whole. Do yourself a huge favor: don't buy it. You aren't missing anything but compounding irritation. Expand
  97. Jan 27, 2013
    The game was fun, beautifully designed and the RPG element is a kicker. I've never played the previous paper mario series so really I've got no complaint about "changes" and "improvement". I bought the game expecting a great Mario experience and I definitely got my money's worth. Two little things I wish were better: it could use more playable characters to enhance the RPG feel, and itThe game was fun, beautifully designed and the RPG element is a kicker. I've never played the previous paper mario series so really I've got no complaint about "changes" and "improvement". I bought the game expecting a great Mario experience and I definitely got my money's worth. Two little things I wish were better: it could use more playable characters to enhance the RPG feel, and it probably could use a difficulty slider--the game was a tad too easy, despites the abundance of secrets and mysteries in it. Expand
  98. Jan 15, 2013
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a hard game to review. As a Paper Mario game, it's very unexpected and different than the past console games in the series. However, it does a superb job as a handheld take of the series, and I feel that is the most important part. The visuals are done with love and care, and look great. The dialogue is great, as the series is reputed for having. The removal ofPaper Mario: Sticker Star is a hard game to review. As a Paper Mario game, it's very unexpected and different than the past console games in the series. However, it does a superb job as a handheld take of the series, and I feel that is the most important part. The visuals are done with love and care, and look great. The dialogue is great, as the series is reputed for having. The removal of some of the RPG elements of the game will no doubt disappoint many, but to be honest, they wouldn't really even be necessary in a game like this. It's a good game that all 3DS owners, fans and non alike, should at least try. Expand
  99. Jan 14, 2013
    I don't understand why this game is getting such good reviews. It's terrible. The combat system is completely broken, requiring you to waste valuable time and materials (stickers) for absolutely no gain. With no leveling up, the turn based combat is pointless and time-consuming, serving no purpose but to collect money, which can be obtained far more quickly and easily by collectingI don't understand why this game is getting such good reviews. It's terrible. The combat system is completely broken, requiring you to waste valuable time and materials (stickers) for absolutely no gain. With no leveling up, the turn based combat is pointless and time-consuming, serving no purpose but to collect money, which can be obtained far more quickly and easily by collecting "Things", turning them into stickers, and selling them. Worse yet, if you run out of stickers in combat, you are forced to run away, making the whole ordeal even more pointless. The boss battles are atrocious, requiring you to use specific stickers at specific times or else waste far too many of your stickers. To make matters worse, the specific stickers you have to use are always "Thing" stickers, which you can only ever have one of at any given time. Therefor, if you use the sticker at the wrong time, you're screwed. Worse still, if you fail to beat the boss the easy way, your partner will ridicule you for using too many stickers. The puzzles in the game can also be challenging, but too much so for my taste. Admittedly, the game looks very nice, and the music isn't terrible. But that doesn't excuse the horrid gameplay. (As I always say, gameplay before graphics.) Overall, this is a terrible game and I am sorry for buying it. Expand
  100. Jan 12, 2013
    Im a huge fan of Mario and even more the original Mario RPG on Snes, this game is awesome in a single word, spectacular. I love this game in all aspects.
  101. Nov 12, 2012
    So far, I have beaten the first world in this game, so I haven't fully experienced, but I really enjoy what I've been experiencing so far. The game has that same charm that we have been having with the series. I wasn't a fan of SPM, but TTYD and the original are some of my favorite games, so I welcome the return to the turn based. HOWEVER I feel that the combat lacks a rewarding feeling,So far, I have beaten the first world in this game, so I haven't fully experienced, but I really enjoy what I've been experiencing so far. The game has that same charm that we have been having with the series. I wasn't a fan of SPM, but TTYD and the original are some of my favorite games, so I welcome the return to the turn based. HOWEVER I feel that the combat lacks a rewarding feeling, because the only thing you get from battle is coins. This gives me more of a "I better just avoid all the enemies I can" sort of feeling. I also wish there were more towns other than Decalburg(I could be wrong here, I've only finished world 1). This game is incredibly fun though, the combat feels as great as ever, and I have a smile on my face the whole time with that jazzy music. While this game isn't nearly as deep as it's predecessors, it's still a meaty experience on the 3DS. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Feb 21, 2013
    Brilliant humor and an interesting world won't save Mario's latest RPG offering. Even though the stickers add a lot of variety to the turn based battles, an RPG without any character development tends to turn repetitive eventually. Unfortunately for Mario such is the case with Sticker Star. [Feb 2013]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Feb 10, 2013
    A great reinterpretation of what makes Mario work. [March 2013, p.72]
  3. Feb 7, 2013
    Unfortunately for it, Paper Mario: Sticker Star has to deal with being a “pretty good” entry in a series that is usually considered amongst the best games on their respective consoles. While I did have fun with it, there were times when I felt like I was just going through the motions, and very little of the innovation or character of previous entries shone through.