Paper Mario: Sticker Star 3DS

5.6

1. Nov 10, 2016
    [Re-edited on November 11th, 2016] People, hate on Sticker Star all you want, but don't hate on it being a normal game, hate on it being a Paper Mario game. If you take Sticker Star as its own self, you can make a great game out of it. Unfortunately, this game screwed many things with the franchise itself yet if they're all taken to different media like a movie or another video game, they[Re-edited on November 11th, 2016] People, hate on Sticker Star all you want, but don't hate on it being a normal game, hate on it being a Paper Mario game. If you take Sticker Star as its own self, you can make a great game out of it. Unfortunately, this game screwed many things with the franchise itself yet if they're all taken to different media like a movie or another video game, they can be great things. This game behaves a lot and builds a relationship with the main series. This caused a few things wrong.

The entire Paper Mario franchise builds up in eight different chapters of progressing. Sticker Star took it down to six and worse, it's not even chapters, it's worlds. What is this? A Super Mario game or something? It says Paper Mario on it, not Super Mario. Please get it right. Bowser does not say a single word. Literally, not even a single letter. Not even a dialog box. Alright, we get that you're trying to make it like a platformer more than a RPG, but come on, this is a RPG. You must respect its genre and it's a must. No denies and counters. In the Paper Mario franchise, Mario is the silent one. Make it that way.

Sticker Star does have a story, but it's clichéd and predictable from the start. Mentions of previous Paper Mario characters are featured in this game, but there are no new Paper Mario characters in this game or even returning ones, except for Kersti, which ironically doesn't sound original whatsoever. And whatever you do, get at least some fighting stickers or you're already prepared for a game over. No, you cannot level up either. It's impossible to determine what level Mario is in this game.

The music (I'm looking at you, Supreme Sparkling King; Bowser Battle) is great which is quite ironic to say, but most of them doesn't even fit their respective scenarios. How am I going to fight Bowser for the final battle with some cheesy running music and not some menacing feeling like in the first three games? At least Shadow Queen and Super Dimentio had better final battle themes. Bowser even had one of the most menacing one in the series and ironically, he also have the least menacing one in the series. I can make most of the music fit onto YouTube videos and you could just pretend they didn't even come from this game. If you have read my Ghostbusters (2016) review, I have compared this game to that movie with a note of a reason. They both screwed their beloved franchises loved by many people, except Sticker Star is better at just being a good game than the reboot I would not love to call Ghostbusters.

Onward, character design is very generic. It just rehashes previous Mario characters from already-existing Mario games. I've heard of this phrase before and it describes what this game needs. "Get it right and make it that way. Leave it alone."

Sticker Star is like a near 8/10 if you just make it a game itself, a 5/10 if you make it an RPG, but when you put it onto the Paper Mario series, you disappoint many people, 2/10. I can now see where people are getting the 'Paper Mario 3D Land' title thing from. November 11th is Veterans Day, but what does Veterans Day have to do with the topic anyways? Sticker Star is released on the same day. This Veterans Day, don't think bad, think about veterans... and then you can flame Sticker Star on it being a Paper Mario installment afterwards.
  2. Jul 14, 2016
    Paper Mario is amazing so is the thousand year door and super paper mario and this game...is alright. Story is bad and the gameplay is really bad. The graphics are okay and the fighting combat is probably the worse thing about this game! Did I say this game was okay? No it's trash instead.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    Do you want a hardcore Mario game? Paper Mario: Sticker Star is tougher than its predecessor and a surprisingly hardcore experience. Puzzles are sometimes difficult to solve; bosses battles are long and difficult (especially if you can't figure out their secrets). Many reviewers criticised its linearity and I have to agree with that. Lose a valuable sticker..BAM...you're either stuck orDo you want a hardcore Mario game? Paper Mario: Sticker Star is tougher than its predecessor and a surprisingly hardcore experience. Puzzles are sometimes difficult to solve; bosses battles are long and difficult (especially if you can't figure out their secrets). Many reviewers criticised its linearity and I have to agree with that. Lose a valuable sticker..BAM...you're either stuck or dead. Nevertheless, the game is so charming, funny and unique that you forgive the occasional frustration. Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    Since I grew up with Paper Mario I have come to love the series with TTYD being my favorite, I went out and bought a 3DS XL just for this game (for now). The game immediately caught my attention when first playing it because of the unique changes they made to fit the criteria of the 3DS. I noticed right away that they discarded the "non-battle sequence" found in Super Paper Mario and putSince I grew up with Paper Mario I have come to love the series with TTYD being my favorite, I went out and bought a 3DS XL just for this game (for now). The game immediately caught my attention when first playing it because of the unique changes they made to fit the criteria of the 3DS. I noticed right away that they discarded the "non-battle sequence" found in Super Paper Mario and put in the basic idea of RPG fighting seen in Paper Mario (1) and TTYD, which was very nice addition. The new fighting mechanics of using stickers to fight can sometimes be a bit frustrating in some cases if you don't have enough stickers. Basically, if you don't have enough stickers you are forced to look for more to do battle. And by battles, I mean boss battles, as there are almost no reasons to fight enemies unless you want coins or some other stickers. And this leads me to another minor flaw about the game... Battles offer no real reward as in the previous titles. All you get are coins, like I already said. But those minor flaws don't really interfere with the rest of the reasons why I think it's a great game and it deserves its share of praise. Paper Mario: Sticker Star might not be the best game in the series, but it isn't the worst either. That said I give the game a high 9/10. Expand
  5. Jan 13, 2015
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star breaks the trend of Paper Mario games coming to consoles and Mario & Luigi games coming to handhelds...does it break even more trends than that?

I was a big fan of Super Paper Mario and I probably enjoyed it a bit more than I should, no matter how much things it did differently from Paper Mario (N64) and Thousand-Year Door (GCN). I was a bit hesitant about Sticker Star but it proved to be a decent game. The first difference you'll notice is the addition of a world map. The map makes it easier to get from level to level and it suits a portable adventure. However, this is probably one of the more excusable of Sticker Star's many tradition-breaking gameplay elements.

Mario no longer attacks during battles. Yep, you heard me. Instead, he uses various stickers he finds scattered around the world to use. Hammer stickers allow Mario to use a hammer, fire flower stickers allow Mario to throw fire, and there's much more. However, you can run out of stickers incredibly fast as you'll find yourself fighting enemies more times than you'd like to. It you run out of stickers, it can be pretty hard to get your supply back up. The battle system works great, along with the roulette spinner (it can give you more attacks), I just wish it was a bit more improved.

One of my other main problems with the game is the story. Mario RPGs always have complex and engaging stories, with the possible exception of the first Paper Mario. Super Paper Mario is a fantastic example of great storytelling. Sticker Star's story: Bowser crashes a festival and kidnaps Peach. Mario must collect items in the world. Sounds a lot like Super Mario Galaxy. The story is way too simple for an RPG in my opinion but it doesn't make the gameplay bad or anything. In fact, the gameplay itself is very fluid and nice. At points you may come across things you need to fix which requires a "Thing Sticker"...which brings me to another point.

Thing Stickers are...well, things (fans, trumpets, toy boats, etc.) that can do certain things in battles and in the overworld. Unfortunately, you can run out of Thing Stickers so you will find yourself backtracking to past levels over and over again to find the specific Thing Sticker you need to accomplish a task. Kind of ruins the "portable" experience a bit.

Overall, Paper Mario: Sticker Star isn't a bad game. In fact, I enjoyed it...but when you have to use a guide to see where to get Thing Stickers and the story doesn't match an RPG, there's probably something a bit off.
  6. Dec 30, 2014
    The game is full of charm and the visuals are absolutely beautiful, but the "use stickers to attack" gameplay lacks any kind of depth, making this game feel very stale and not as fun as it could be if it had the RPG elements of the previous games.
  7. Oct 9, 2016
    Nintendo took everything we knew about Paper Mario and flipped it on its head. All the fun worlds are now gone and replaced with a world map, endless backtracking, bland and one-dimensional characters (basically all Toads), pointless combat (uses up stickers and gives nothing in return), no humorous characters, and not much of a story. The graphics are definitely nice, but that's about theNintendo took everything we knew about Paper Mario and flipped it on its head. All the fun worlds are now gone and replaced with a world map, endless backtracking, bland and one-dimensional characters (basically all Toads), pointless combat (uses up stickers and gives nothing in return), no humorous characters, and not much of a story. The graphics are definitely nice, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it. I tried to be positive about this game but compared to the previous ones, it's bad. Expand
  8. Apr 9, 2014
    Like many other Paper Mario fans, this game was a bit disappointing to me, but for some reason I kind of knew that Nintendo was not just going to go straight back to the amazing gameplay of Paper Mario 1 & 2. I mean the trailers made the game look very promising to the point where I was excited, but I do think that unfortunately this just went a totally different direction. However enoughLike many other Paper Mario fans, this game was a bit disappointing to me, but for some reason I kind of knew that Nintendo was not just going to go straight back to the amazing gameplay of Paper Mario 1 & 2. I mean the trailers made the game look very promising to the point where I was excited, but I do think that unfortunately this just went a totally different direction. However enough of this kind of talk for this is a game that I actually do like, I like the atmosphere and gameplay fairly well. I did think the sticker concept was neat but nothing special. There were some witty dialogue that is expected for a Paper Mario game and some alright characters. Also, the music; some people have actually stated that they really like the music, however to me it seemed like a hit or miss. Now lets talk about my two biggest problems in this game. First off, the story; if this is a Paper Mario game it should have a nice good story, but it had some very cliche elements in it that were annoying and of course another reuse of the generic "Bowser kidnaps Peach" which was annoying enough, but I think it was even worse because Bowser never talks which is a shame since he had some great witty dialogue in some of the previous games. However the biggest flaw in this game is the battles, for the battles in this game give you absolutely no experience, the only thing you get in battles is either more stickers or more coins, and all the stickers can be used for is just for more battles and what do the coins do, just buy more stickers, so besides battling bosses, it felt too redundant. Overall this game was not terrible, just something that I only enjoyed a little bit. For there were so many awesome aspects of the Paper Mario series I like that even Super Paper Mario had, that were not present in this game leaving me displeased. However I still had fun when I could ignore the flaws and I guess it nothing that I would consider all that bad so I will only slightly recommend this game. Expand
  9. Jun 4, 2014
    Paper Mario:Sticker Star was my third fav Paper Mario game with N64 and GC Paper Mario to be leaded
    i enjoy battle system in this as well at least the thing that liked about it was return to that, the game could been better
  10. Nov 8, 2015
    It's a good game, but not a great RPG.
    It's a good game, but not a great RPG.
    In Paper Mario: Sticker Star, you don't level up or gain new moves. You find stickers to use in battle, so the game is more about managing resources rather than grinding for levels. There's no reward for battling other than coins, and the only thing you spend coins on are more stickers. The game is pretty easy, I beat it in only a week, but the boss battles are tough, and cause massive spikes in difficulty. But the game is still good; the visuals are nice, it has some good ideas to it, and it's very fun to play. It has some lost RPG elements, but it's still fun to play, and it shouldn't be overlooked.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star gets a 7/10
  11. Jan 12, 2014
    It was unfortunate that the formula was really screwed up on for this Paper Mario Game...as my favorite series of all time, I wasn't happy about this game. Fortunately, the ok battle system and good dialogue+places can secure this game a solid 7. I will say that I am disappointed with this game though...especially the lack of rpg elements and a world map

Gameplay: 8/10 Story: 7/10

Gameplay: 8/10
    Story: 7/10
    Music: 9.5/10
    Presentation: 8/10
    Length: 7/10
    Overall: 7.5/10
  12. Jan 7, 2013
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the first Paper Mario RPG game to appear on a portable game console. Compared to its prequels "Paper Mario" for the Nintendo 64 and "Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door" on the Nintendo Gamecube, this game is much smaller in scope and highly stripped down. Although the Paper Mario series is notably known for having a big emphasis on its story, in Sticker Star,Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the first Paper Mario RPG game to appear on a portable game console. Compared to its prequels "Paper Mario" for the Nintendo 64 and "Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door" on the Nintendo Gamecube, this game is much smaller in scope and highly stripped down. Although the Paper Mario series is notably known for having a big emphasis on its story, in Sticker Star, this is not the case. King Bowser Koopa causes chaos and captures the princess Peach Toadstool, its up to the famous "Jumpman" himself Mario to solve the problems caused by Bowser and save the princess, that pretty much about it, no major plot twists and a lack of character development for most of the characters, friends and enemies alike (Especially Bowser, who although is the main villain, doesn't utter a single line of dialogue in the whole game). The RPG game mechanics are incredibly stripped down from the other RPG enteries in the series, since you can't gain experience or level up through battling at all, the only real point in battling is to get more money, gather unique "enemy attack" stickers if you don't like the more traditional ones available to you and some specific mandatory ones that are required to progress the plot such as cutscene battles, mini-bosses and main bosses. Instead of Badges, Items and Regular Attacks (Hammer & Jump) from the prequels, almost all of your possible actions (attacking, healing, countering, special abilities, ect.) are determined by the stickers you currently have in your inventory, if you don't have a specific kind of sticker, you can't do that action, the only actions that don't require utilizing stickers is attempting to run from battles, attempting a First Strike (hitting an enemy on the overworld before battle begins) and blocking attacks. There are many puzzles and situations throughout the game and although some can be ridiculously easy to figure out, there are a select few in which the solutions are extremely vague. These disrupt the game's flow since your helper Kersti usually doesn't give useful advice thus leading to trial and error to find a solution. The only ways to upgrade your character is to gather Maximum HP upgrades by finding secret rooms, completing levels in a specific way or by doing side-quests. The Music is quite the joy to listen to and the writing in the game, although as rather limited as it is, is still rather humorous and amusing. The game is still fun overall, although it is pretty short and has some questionable design choices, its a pretty good game. Expand
  13. Feb 15, 2013
    This game was my least favorite in the paper mario series, it is extremely hard to finish without a game guide, it doesn't communicate with the player enough, the boss battles require specific hidden thing stickers that if the player doesn't find or use in battle, they will not be able to finish the boss fight, the availability of stickers is good though, and the levels (most of them) areThis game was my least favorite in the paper mario series, it is extremely hard to finish without a game guide, it doesn't communicate with the player enough, the boss battles require specific hidden thing stickers that if the player doesn't find or use in battle, they will not be able to finish the boss fight, the availability of stickers is good though, and the levels (most of them) are nicely done and sometimes pretty fun, but i dont see a use to the run away button if its a 50/50 chance to actually run away from a battle, it should be 100% if you tap A repeatedly.
    Final Score: 7.5, but there's no halfway scoring option T.T
  14. Feb 4, 2014
    This is one of the most boring, uninteresting, and disappointing "video game" I have ever played in my life.

The games first downfall is it's story and writing. it's the typical Mario story. "Bowser is evil, go stop him". No other Paper Mario before has such a lazy story. And the writing is not even funny. Unlike the previous games. The graphics are the only good part about this

The graphics are the only good part about this game. the paper world looks fantastic and the 3D effect does a great job of making the world pop out.

The game-play is boring and has zero strategy. there is no point in fighting enemy's as you cannot level up. All the bosses can be defeated in one hit with the right stickers. And the game is overall just a chore to play.

OVERALL-
  15. Dec 17, 2013
    This game follows a fairly typical Mario storyline and restores the style of gameplay from the first two Paper Mario outings thankfully. The writing is witty and enjoyable, and I was laughing out loud at several points, sometimes to the concern of my roommates.

In this game, the structure morphs to something more similar to Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World, having you complete a stage so you can go to the next stage along the path. There are several points where it diverges and several hidden secrets. Sometimes, you must go to another one of the worlds areas before you can advance in another. This prevents the game from going stale from being too linear, but it goes to the opposite problem of forcing you to retread certain areas too often. Not a huge problem, but enough to be a smudge in the otherwise enjoyable structure.

Unlike previous Paper Mario games, the turn-based system is now almost entirely dependent on stickers. If you have no stickers, you better hope you can run. As a result, you make sure that you're stocked up and ready to take on the next foe. You also end up peeling all the stickers off the walls that you can find. You can choose to donate them to a museum for the reward of some great humor, but otherwise, you'll likely be very stingy with your stickers, not wanting to use them.

This is where the games biggest flaw rears it's head. The boss battles are ridiculous. Sometimes they force you to use a special sticker to defeat them. These stickers can either be found in one place or brought for a ridiculous price, and you can only have one. This forces you to retread more or gouge your pockets empty to get what you need. These stickers hardly seem special either because they're based on appliances or little knick-knacks. Knowing what to use is very vague and up to trial and error if you don't want to use the internet as a resource. Then there's the final battle, which will require several of these special stickers. This final battle is frustrating as a result, and unfortunately, it usually freezes when I try to play through it. I put this game down for a month as a result.

It's sad to see that the most charming elements of removing all these stickers and using them also becomes the worst elements of the game. Aside from the special stickers, and the freezing up that occurs during the final battle (don't use the bowling ball), this game is very enjoyable.
  16. Dec 27, 2012
    I was disappointed with the newest entry to this series. Most of the good parts an RPG are not present. You don't level up, so when you complete a battle, it is only for coins (if you are perfect in the battle). You don't have a partner, or partners, like in all other RPGs. At least the stickers somewhat compensate this though. One part of RPG that should have definitely been kept out wasI was disappointed with the newest entry to this series. Most of the good parts an RPG are not present. You don't level up, so when you complete a battle, it is only for coins (if you are perfect in the battle). You don't have a partner, or partners, like in all other RPGs. At least the stickers somewhat compensate this though. One part of RPG that should have definitely been kept out was the world map system, which was quite out of tune to the other paper Mario games. The score is relatively high because the humour is still present in the game. Overall 7.1/10 Expand
  17. Dec 4, 2014
    La razón principal por la que le coloco un 9 a este juego es por que pienso diferente al promedio... La mayoría odio este juego por que no era un Paper Mario real, y es verdad, no lo es, es una fusión entre Mario RPG y Paper Mario que dio una combinación rara pero original, y esto le da un toque único a este juego... Tal vez la marca no sea la correcta, pero si no lo vemos como PaperLa razón principal por la que le coloco un 9 a este juego es por que pienso diferente al promedio... La mayoría odio este juego por que no era un Paper Mario real, y es verdad, no lo es, es una fusión entre Mario RPG y Paper Mario que dio una combinación rara pero original, y esto le da un toque único a este juego... Tal vez la marca no sea la correcta, pero si no lo vemos como Paper Mario, sino como un RPG, es un muy buen experimento. Expand
  18. Jul 7, 2015
    I guess I can see what the fan base makes it out to be, its simply a slimmed down Paper Mario spin off with great creativite sticker visuals and a lot of missing mechanics from past games. However, backtracking in certain objectives is troubling and can cause frustration at times, besides that it has a solid story and pretty neat sticker elements during battles, but that's the only useI guess I can see what the fan base makes it out to be, its simply a slimmed down Paper Mario spin off with great creativite sticker visuals and a lot of missing mechanics from past games. However, backtracking in certain objectives is troubling and can cause frustration at times, besides that it has a solid story and pretty neat sticker elements during battles, but that's the only use during combat. Overall the game may not be console quality, but is done good enough for new comers to the Paper Mario games, but really its more of a slimmed down paper mario that is only worth it for its graphics, minor uses with the stickers and humor.
    Story: 8.3 Still has a bit of its humor left
    Game Play: Solid 9.2 Nice to control sticker peeling fun
    Fighting Mechanics: 6.5 Fairly Simplistic sticker usage limitation
    RPG Elements: 5.5 Very Slimmed Down Compared To Other PM Games
  19. Feb 18, 2014
    Sticker system makes battling totally pointless. I was able to stay and complete the game though out of pure love of the paper mario series. Its too bad they removed the RPG elements and dumbed the game down to making battling such a chore.
  20. Sep 29, 2013
    This game isn't very good but its not bad. The sticker system could've worked, but making the basic attacks based off this was bad. Its confusing since they have a mix of level and open world layout that doesn't work because it requires to go astray from the linear path they chose, but it doesn't allow much freedom justifying it. The Humor and Graphics are still top notch, but this gameThis game isn't very good but its not bad. The sticker system could've worked, but making the basic attacks based off this was bad. Its confusing since they have a mix of level and open world layout that doesn't work because it requires to go astray from the linear path they chose, but it doesn't allow much freedom justifying it. The Humor and Graphics are still top notch, but this game would've been much better if it wasn't for the sticker system. Expand
  21. Feb 16, 2014
    I was very disappointed by the gameplay concept. It was far too simple and that's not what I play paper Mario for. This is the weakest game I've played in what has always been a charming series. Hope they put more effort in the future
  22. Aug 15, 2013
    An amazing game everything that was lost with Super Paper Mario was reborn with Paper Mario Sticker Star. With great level design, amazing music (with Koji Kondo having a very new take on Mario music), great bosses, a decent storyline (that is saved by the characters), and a fantastic battle system. My only complaints are it can be hard to find out what to do at times, there aren't anyAn amazing game everything that was lost with Super Paper Mario was reborn with Paper Mario Sticker Star. With great level design, amazing music (with Koji Kondo having a very new take on Mario music), great bosses, a decent storyline (that is saved by the characters), and a fantastic battle system. My only complaints are it can be hard to find out what to do at times, there aren't any partners, and Mario never levels up but those are all just nitpicks. Expand
  23. Jul 13, 2013
    Great dialogue and music, enjoyable gameplay. The only thing that annoyed me was I felt you had to look up a guide at times to find out which sticker would be effective or go where, it wasn't really the obvious choice a lot of the time. A great game still, I enjoyed it a lot.
  24. Mar 13, 2013
    If you're a Paper Mario fan, you're either going to love it or hate. Of course just by looking at my score i loved it. The sticker system, while out of tradition, is fun to use, and great use of resource management. The puzzles are more engaging than in any other title. Not to mention the backtracking is not as dreadful as the previous titles, THANK GOD. My only gripe is the boss battlesIf you're a Paper Mario fan, you're either going to love it or hate. Of course just by looking at my score i loved it. The sticker system, while out of tradition, is fun to use, and great use of resource management. The puzzles are more engaging than in any other title. Not to mention the backtracking is not as dreadful as the previous titles, THANK GOD. My only gripe is the boss battles can be really annoying, forcing you to run away in order for you to find the 'right sticker'. Although I miss the old Paper Mario mechanics, this is certainly worth checking out. Expand
  25. Nov 19, 2012
    Meh. I really don't care for the new style. There are a ton of problems I have with this game and I'm just into the second level. I'll limit it to my three biggest gripes with this game. First, the gameplay makes you conserve your stickers for more powerful enemies which isn't fun at ALL. Second, the story. It's just SO boring. Just Bowser causing trouble again. But honestly my biggestMeh. I really don't care for the new style. There are a ton of problems I have with this game and I'm just into the second level. I'll limit it to my three biggest gripes with this game. First, the gameplay makes you conserve your stickers for more powerful enemies which isn't fun at ALL. Second, the story. It's just SO boring. Just Bowser causing trouble again. But honestly my biggest gripe comes with how the art style is just overcompensating for the title "Paper Mario". Why? This wasn't a problem, even with the first game, why now? It's a decent game and while it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, I say it's worth a try. Expand
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    Pure brilliance. This is the 4th entry in the Paper Mario series, and possible the best one yet. This game introduces an innovative sticker system that's a lot of fun to use. You collect stickers and use them to do various attacks on enemies. Very good use of 3d, and very good value. This game will keep you busy for weeks.
  27. Jul 9, 2014
    This Paper Mario feels like nothing else in the series. It is hard to get into, with no real direction given. The combat is long and the combat system is clumsy. The stickers are not fun or very useful most of the time. There are so many limits placed on Mario. There is no flip world, and after playing Zelda Link Between Worlds I would say it is more loyal to the Paper Mario spirit thanThis Paper Mario feels like nothing else in the series. It is hard to get into, with no real direction given. The combat is long and the combat system is clumsy. The stickers are not fun or very useful most of the time. There are so many limits placed on Mario. There is no flip world, and after playing Zelda Link Between Worlds I would say it is more loyal to the Paper Mario spirit than Sticker Star. More than a little disappointed this game as it could have been something else without tarnishing the Mario brand. Expand
  28. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't know what to say about this game. This game can hardly even be called an RPG. The only "RPG" about it is that you meet enemies and engage combat with them in a turn-based battle. You get no experience points and when you run away from battle, the enemy disappears on the map like you actually defeated it. There is also no real point to combat other than getting coins, but those are pretty much only spent on the overpowered Things that you need to get in order to make Thing Stickers that you sometimes have to apply to the real world using your annoying sticker fairy partner's "paperize" ability. Sure, maybe you will need to buy a few mushrooms here and there but you can actually get all of these things EVERYWHERE in every level. The battles against a wave of enemies can get extremely annoying because you can't actually choose which enemy you are attacking: you will always attack the first one in the row. You need to use the Battle Spinner in order to attack enemies in the second row too, and it's extremely annoying. Bosses are unbalanced and can pretty much only be defeated by Thing Stickers. Some of them have certain weaknesses but these are never stated unless you've died about three times for not knowing something that was never hinted to. At a certain point I started to avoid combat altogether because I didn't want to waste the stickers I actually needed and either traverse previous levels to get some stickers again or return to Decalburg a billion of times in order restock on stickers(This may seem like it condradicts my previous statement but please keep in mind that this is still not a good thing no matter how you look at it.) Puzzles in the real world never have any real hints either: at a certain point in the game you have to freeze lava by pasting a certain Thing in the background. This could be a handful of Things: Shaved Ice, AIr Conditioner, Fan, etc. So yeah, it turned out to be the Air Conditioner but I only discovered that after failing numerous times with the other things it could possibly have been. There's too much trial and error like this throughout the whole game. But even with all these horrifying flaws, the game can still be fun. I had fun with the game and blasted through it quickly, but only because I had(with GameXplain's advice) watched some playthroughs a few weeks before it was released in Europe. I also have to praise the graphics: they look amazing. It's like the entire game was handcrafted and handdrawn by some sort of amazing artist: I had a lot of fun just watching the environment alone, ESPECIALLY World 4 and 5. But even then the environment is nothing that you won't find in the countless New Super Mario Bros. games: it's exactly those kind of worlds. Anyways, short summary: they could have done WAY better on pretty much everything in this game, but regardless of that it's still pretty fun and I reccommend it if you liked the previous Paper Mario games. Expand
  29. Jul 6, 2014
    In a paper world, stickers fit right in place. The best part of this RPG is the absence of experience. No more annoying grinding I hated in previous Paper Mario titles.
  30. Dec 12, 2015
    As a long time fan of Paper Mario, I was truly excited for a handheld installment. Unfortunately, I don't feel this game lives up to the reputation of the past three in the series. While it has a few charms here and there, they are mostly overshadowed by its flaws. Battles are fun when you first start, but the lack of reward you get for battling makes them more pointless as you go along.As a long time fan of Paper Mario, I was truly excited for a handheld installment. Unfortunately, I don't feel this game lives up to the reputation of the past three in the series. While it has a few charms here and there, they are mostly overshadowed by its flaws. Battles are fun when you first start, but the lack of reward you get for battling makes them more pointless as you go along. The sticker concept is an interesting idea, but the stickers themselves had many flaws, such as many being over powered and unnecessary to use against almost any enemy. The boss battles were either tough as nails or complete pushovers depending on if you had the right stickers to use. I can say that many of the puzzles the game had to offer were fairly clever and really did get you thinking on which sticker you needed to solve it, Lastly, the lack of a story and creative Paper Mario staples made it feel like I was playing a main game rather than a Paper Mario game. All in all, I'd highly recommend playing the first three games before going to this one. Expand
  31. Mar 25, 2016
    Paper Mario Sticker Star took away everything that made the first two Paper Mario games great, and was an immense disappointment.

For starters, it reverted to the simple "Bowser kidnaps Peach" story, and thus lacks the interesting and original stories that previous Paper Mario games had. And even though this generic story could have been executed well, it wasn't. A bland story can still be redeemed by interesting characters, but Sticker Star has none, with the game's cast consisting of Mario, Kersti, Peach, Bowser, and about a million Toads. Yes, that's right. Instead of the game being filled with interesting and unique characters, generic Toads make up the entire supporting cast.

The gameplay has taken a dive as well. The battle system, albeit creative, is extremely irritating and lacks much depth. The lack of exp and leveling up takes away all sense of reward, and has essentially stripped the series of the RPG elements that made it great. In addition, the lack of a connected world has removed nearly all sense of exploration that the series once had. Also, the puzzles are unfairly cryptic, many times requiring some obscure sticker that you get halfway across the gameworld, with no clues leading to it whatsoever. The same applies to boss battles, each of which has a weakness to one thing sticker, and the outcome of the battle will usually depend solely on whether or not you have that sticker.

I'd like to be able to say something good about this game, some way it improved over previous Paper Mario games. But it is a downgrade in every way imaginable. The fact that this game's gameplay style is the new standard for the series makes me want to cry. Paper Mario is dead.
  32. Mar 13, 2013
    Yep, I'm really enjoying sticking stickers for this Paper Mario sequel. And not just that, this Paper Mario sequel features a new RPG-looking that much like a paper.
  33. Apr 30, 2013
    The puzzles are quite hard to figure out but don't worry you will figure them out. When I get to the bosses it is frustrating because I use up most of my stickers. It is a really good adventure game and you need to think about your strategy.
  34. May 15, 2016
    Terrible, terrible and one more terrible! This is worst game of all Nintendo games. By this game - Nintendo RIP Paper Mario series... terrible storyline, terrible gameplay, terrible world.
  35. Oct 7, 2016
    Not funny cuz you're stuck in like every hour of the game. Not even worth looking at a playthrough cuz the game just lacks fun.

Paper mario sticker star gets a 4/10
  36. Feb 8, 2013
    I really tried to give this game a chance. I really did. However, it rivals "Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood" in sheer crap factor. Sticker Star is just barely better in that you aren't forced to use the touchscreen to control the whole game. Sadly, where such touchscreen support would have been nice, it is glaringly absent, seemingly almost ignored. The plot is a bit too standard to a marioI really tried to give this game a chance. I really did. However, it rivals "Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood" in sheer crap factor. Sticker Star is just barely better in that you aren't forced to use the touchscreen to control the whole game. Sadly, where such touchscreen support would have been nice, it is glaringly absent, seemingly almost ignored. The plot is a bit too standard to a mario game, lacking any major twist to the plot that the previous entries in the series had. The complete lack of a development system makes the game fall very flat, as combat becomes nothing more than tedium, lacking real reason to exist. The sidekick you get is the most annoying since Navi herself and is even more useless than she is. All it needed to surpass her in raw annoyance was a sound effect telling you to listen like she does. For some reason, I found the constant use of the word 'sticker' to be very rapidly aggravating, and given it's said by almost every character in the game world, it was intolerable in less than 15 minutes or so. Once I hit a road block that had no obvious and immediate solution, I found myself feeling that I didn't like the game enough to bother looking at a game guide. I just shut it down, and went on to the next game I wanted to play. This game is an insult to the series, and the entire genre of JRPGs as a whole. Do yourself a huge favor: don't buy it. You aren't missing anything but compounding irritation. Expand
  37. Nov 26, 2012
    Change is bad. 'nuff said. I honestly don't know what to say about it besides how awful this one is compared to the originals. This shouldn't be classified as an RPG in any way because there's no incentive to fight and all attacks can only be used once before having to get more.
  38. Mar 30, 2016
    This is a extremely disappointing game. I mean, I was thrilled when I watched the trailers, getting back to the turn-based system, something I loved in the first 2 games and wasn't in the third, and the mark Paper Mario was all I needed for huge will to play this. But well... I didn't get what I expected. The great story and characters this series has had, especially the first two games,This is a extremely disappointing game. I mean, I was thrilled when I watched the trailers, getting back to the turn-based system, something I loved in the first 2 games and wasn't in the third, and the mark Paper Mario was all I needed for huge will to play this. But well... I didn't get what I expected. The great story and characters this series has had, especially the first two games, they are gone, the story is the same as every Mario game with nothing special, and the sticker system for battling is awful. You get no reward for winning battles, actually the game punishes you for battling, something I hadn't seen in any RPG. The only reward is... money. And for that you must win the battles spending your stickers, which you must buy with money or find while you play. Also bosses are ridiculous, there is an overpowered sticker for all of them that just destroys them, if you don't find it they are extremely hard, and if you find it they are piece of cake. Sure, the Paper Mario universe charm and great music are there, and the world, while not as good as the ones in the previous games, is decent (that's why this gets a 2 and not a 0...)

All in all, don't buy this, it's not worth your time, there are much better games out there.
  39. Nov 11, 2012
    Wow. It's been 5 years since the last Paper Mario game. I just hope I don't have to wait that much for the next one. Anyway, Paper Mario Sticker Star it's one great game. I like the fact that is turn-based like the good old days, but I also like that it keeps the feel of a 2D game that SPM had. The idea of collecting stickers to do attacks was dumb at first, but after trying it, IWow. It's been 5 years since the last Paper Mario game. I just hope I don't have to wait that much for the next one. Anyway, Paper Mario Sticker Star it's one great game. I like the fact that is turn-based like the good old days, but I also like that it keeps the feel of a 2D game that SPM had. The idea of collecting stickers to do attacks was dumb at first, but after trying it, I loved it. The main theme it's one of the best Paper Mario has to offer in terms of music. Just search it on YT. The visual style it's nice, nothing too different from PM2 and SPM. The thing I don't like about the game it's the design of some levels can be a little confusing at times. There are no partners or badges in this game which pisses me off. In conclusion, Sticker Star it's a good game, but it kinda lacks the appeal of the other games in the series. Expand
  40. Mar 24, 2016
    Paper Mario Sticker Star is quite the mixed bag. It holds itself as a Paper Mario game, but in fact, it diverges from its roots a far bit. When you hear about what the game could have been, you can't help but be disappointed. It might be unfair to compare it to its predecessors, but there are many flaws in this game ignoring the fact that it deviates from the Paper Mario formula.
    I can't
    I can't deny that the game doesn't look gorgeous. One thing the game got right was its visuals; the game finally has its paper aesthetic realized to a great potential. However, there isn't much variety in the visuals and characters themselves. The environments mostly adhere to the world formula of the sidescrolling platformers: grasslands, dessert, etc, etc. It even uses a world map in the same vain as Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros 3. There are no unique characters or enemies. In fact, all the Toads are the same. The story is barebones and really just acts as bookends for the unfocused adventure. What's frustrating is that this art direction is to be blamed by Miyamoto who was so adamant for the developers to stick with the existing Mario characters without altering them.
    On that note, Miyamoto is also to blame for the change in gameplay. There are no companions, and the battle system uses stickers for attacks rather than a menu. Now, it's great that the game is trying something different, but in this case, it was not executed well at all. Battles in almost every case aside from boss battles are unnecessary. Unnecessary in the fact that stickers - which substitute for actions in previous games such as hammer attacks, jump attacks and healing items - are completely expendable. A sticker album is used to 'organise' these stickers on the touch screen, and I put these in air quotes as there really isn't any order in it. Additionally, regular battles provide no real reward besides coins (which you can use to buy stickers, but why would you when you can just find aplenty them in the overworld). The experience points model is completely scrapped in this. There is no incentive to battle.
    As an action platformer, the game design mostly focuses on puzzle solving with this new gimmick of finding real world things aptly called "things". You use these "things" to clear a path or stop the flow of water, for example by deducing with logic (or common sense) which thing to use. For example, there are cardboard bowling pins blocking the way, a bowling ball is needed. However, it's not quite intuitive in how we find or retrieve these said "things" which can drag the pacing of progression by quite a bit from back tracking and searching to no end for these "things". It's also worth mentioning that all this platforming will have the ocassional ecounter with an enemy.
    It is a shame that this is what became of Paper Mario for the 3DS. It could have been great fun, even with its new ideas. But these new gameplay mechanics were poorly implemented and many gameplay elements from previous entries were sacrificed.
  41. Mar 13, 2016
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star is not a Paper Mario game. If you consider this the pinnacle of the series, you've obviously never played any of the previous entries. Do yourself a favor and play the older games, they're all masterpieces, even Super Paper Mario is better than this trash.
  42. Jul 17, 2016
    This game feels like a "New Super Mario Bros." with turn-based battles. Which would be fine if it was an actual RPG. That's right, it's an Action-Adventure game. With linear story, characters and locations, some fans don't even consider this to be a "Paper Mario" game. Now as a "Pick-up-and-play" game, it's not so bad. But for those of you who've stuck with the series even in "Super PaperThis game feels like a "New Super Mario Bros." with turn-based battles. Which would be fine if it was an actual RPG. That's right, it's an Action-Adventure game. With linear story, characters and locations, some fans don't even consider this to be a "Paper Mario" game. Now as a "Pick-up-and-play" game, it's not so bad. But for those of you who've stuck with the series even in "Super Paper Mario", you will be disgusted of this. The visuals are cute and "paperish", but that's all this game has to offer that will keep you playing. Expand
  43. May 19, 2015
    I enjoyed Sticker Star. It's no Thousand Year Door...but it sure as hell is a good game. Sticker Star had new battle mechanics which actually needed some skill to use. I think that is what threw people off the most.
  44. Jan 12, 2013
    Im a huge fan of Mario and even more the original Mario RPG on Snes, this game is awesome in a single word, spectacular. I love this game in all aspects.
  45. Sep 24, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion, this first handheld Paper Mario isn't strictly a "bad" game; it's just poor in comparison to previous entries in the series. Where past games had a vast array of varied humorous and unique characters, this one mostly uses creatures from standard Mario games, which weakens its value in my opinion. In addition, battle partners are gone, with your only companion for the majority of the game being Kersti; a character that sometimes makes some funny lines but doesn't actually directly attack enemies herself, instead providing the occasional hint on what Mario should do next in his adventure. Speaking about the storyline, that is another element that for me, fell short of the standards set by prior entries; instead of a new enemy trying to destroy the world, you've instead got the generic "Bowser causing chaos" plot. In addition, after Super Paper Mario's RPG/platforming hybrid, Paper Mario: Sticker Star sort of returns to the RPG style; I say sort of because levelling-up and set attacks are gone. Instead, you'll need to collect stickers scattered around the world which are used as your one-use methods of attack, each sticker having different properties. I found this method not quite as fun as past entries, as if you have no stickers, you're left with no means of attacking. Also, due to a lack of levelling-up, attacking non-boss enemies is rather pointless in this game. Overall, this is an okay game, but when compared to other Paper Mario games, Sticker Star is immensely disappointing. Expand
  46. Aug 19, 2013
    The music and graphics may be alright, but the substanceless, repetitive gameplay that has nearly nothing to do with Paper Mario is not worth your time or money. Spend 40 dollars on iPhone games instead.

P.S. Bowser has no lines of dialogue. NONE.
  47. Nov 14, 2012
    I honestly feel that the gameplay is too different, throwing the familiar battle system out of the window for this sticker gimmick. The story on the other hand is not different enough. Someone familiar with the Mario RPG's would know that they usually have really creative setups and villains that become instant fan favourites such as Fawful and Dimentio. None of that here. Just BowserI honestly feel that the gameplay is too different, throwing the familiar battle system out of the window for this sticker gimmick. The story on the other hand is not different enough. Someone familiar with the Mario RPG's would know that they usually have really creative setups and villains that become instant fan favourites such as Fawful and Dimentio. None of that here. Just Bowser kidnapping Peach. Same old. Pity, but it's a perfectly functional game so my personal gripes aside, it's still a solid game, as to expect from Mario. Expand
  48. Feb 2, 2014
    An overall OK game. It has nice graphics and a neat overall design. I really liked the boss fights and small riddles in the game. You will play it quite long if you want to find everything. Sadly there is not a single element like character development or level-ups. You just get stronger by collecting better stickers which are used to attack or by finding some max health upgrades. IAn overall OK game. It has nice graphics and a neat overall design. I really liked the boss fights and small riddles in the game. You will play it quite long if you want to find everything. Sadly there is not a single element like character development or level-ups. You just get stronger by collecting better stickers which are used to attack or by finding some max health upgrades. I expected more RPGish gameplay but the game is still good. Just not what I expected it to be Expand
  49. Aug 1, 2016
    I'll start with the good parts of the game: The graphics are really nice, and the new sticker mechanic was interesting at first.

Unfortunately, that was about it for me. There was no story whatsoever, and the characters were all incredibly bland and one-note. The stickers soon became very tedious, as did combat, as well as the constant, confusing backtracking. Bowser, once again, is the generic annoying villain - not an amazing, well rounded character as in the previous games. The paper theme was also way overdone.

Overall, if you loved The Thousand Year Door or even Super Paper Mario, steer clear of this one. If not, maybe you'll find something you'll like - but there are a lot of gameplay flaws to deal with, so be careful.
  50. Sep 27, 2016
    This game is bad, but not as absolutely awful as some have suggested.
    This game is bad, but not as absolutely awful as some have suggested.
    The main bad thing about it is that it ditches some of the basic elements of an RPG, while still pretending to be one. I actually quite liked the gimmick of using stickers in battle, and having a certain amount of consumable attacks. However, the sticker interface is clunky and not user-friendly; it can take ages to find the stickers you want to use and sometimes you might find you don't even have the ones you've been looking for for ages. A menu would have been better. Another concern about battles is the fact that you no longer gain EXP at the end of a battle, which means that there is absolutely no incentive to play battles at all unless they are unavoidable. The bosses are quite fun but very easy with the right stickers available and sometimes impossible without them.
    Also, the areas are more bland, and lack the original characters that made the first 2 PM games so great, in fact every character is called 'A Toad'. It really wouldn't have been hard to at least give them names or different colored spots, or have female toads. The fact that you are going through a linear level instead of looking around areas to complete quests makes it boring as well.
    I mean, it's still an entertaining game. There are small amounts of humor and a few more interesting areas, including a roller coaster queue and a quiz show. The soundtrack is average, and the graphics look good in 3D.
    You can find fun in this game. But if you want a game similar to the first 2 Paper Mario games, prepare to be extremely disappointed.

Rating: 5.9
  51. Aug 30, 2016
    The things I like from the game is the paper environment for Mario, and the decent plot, but as everyone says (and I agree with them), the game lacks original characters. I mean, there's Kerstie, but she is the only original character. Another thing that I didn't like is the worlds. This is Paper Mario, not Super Mario Bros., and the last thing the game can improve on is the combatThe things I like from the game is the paper environment for Mario, and the decent plot, but as everyone says (and I agree with them), the game lacks original characters. I mean, there's Kerstie, but she is the only original character. Another thing that I didn't like is the worlds. This is Paper Mario, not Super Mario Bros., and the last thing the game can improve on is the combat systtem. Sure, the thing that this game is focused on is stickers, but come on! If you want to try it out, go ahead I'm okay with it, but I didn't enjoy this game as much as I did with Super Paper Mario Expand
  52. Jul 31, 2016
    Extremely weak and disappointing. When thinking of this game, whether as a Paper Mario installment or as its own entity, I honestly can't think of a single level on which this game isn't a total failure.

One can compare this game to the Paper Mario titles all day long, but the simple fact is that this game has absolutely nothing going for it. There is virtually nothing about this game that makes it a Paper Mario title aside from the blunt and childish paper gimmick, which the previous entries used for stylistic and presentation purposes (the first as a pop-up book, the second as a stage production). It felt as if they had made the basics of a Paper Mario game and then stripped out all of the things that made the series unique or enjoyable.

In terms of story, well, there really is no story. The stories of the previous three entries could all take up at least a full paragraph to describe, but this one's plot can't really be explained in any more detail than "Bowser's turning people into stickers, go stop him."

In terms of character, there is only one newcomer in this game, a completely unlikable and unhelpful exposition fairy named Kersti. Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Luigi are all as interesting as the paper they're made out of, a far cry from the previous games where they were all given their own personalities and subplots. Even Mario, who didn't talk outside of scripted dialogue choices, had some sort of bare characterization in the previous games. In fact, Sticker Star gives Bowser and Luigi a combined 0 lines of dialogue.

In terms of gameplay, this game is a complete failure. The new battle system is so poorly designed that the player is all but encouraged to simply skip every fight except those they're forced into. There is no experience system and winning these pointless battles only gives you the means to win more pointless battles.

In a way, one can consider this the exact opposite of Super Paper Mario. Super Paper Mario combines the gameplay of a platformer with the rewards system of an RPG. This game does the opposite, meaning instead of getting items and experience for simply jumping on enemies, in this game you have long, drawn-out fights with enemies and essentially get nothing in return.

While it probably does make me sound lucky to say it, meaning I've never been stuck with any real shovelware, I genuinely consider this the worst video game I've ever personally played. I was hoping not to get onto this subject, but I really think Miyamoto needs to step away from this series, since the only thing he's done with Paper Mario is remove everything that made it Paper Mario.
  53. Mar 9, 2017
    This may not be the worst game ever created, but it is without a doubt my most hated game of all time. In the past, Paprr Mario was excellent, as it began with a great Nintendo 64 title, then had a fantastic game of the GameCube. But then came Super Paper Mario, I really didn't like that game, but I can at least accept what they did, they just to try something different like a trial andThis may not be the worst game ever created, but it is without a doubt my most hated game of all time. In the past, Paprr Mario was excellent, as it began with a great Nintendo 64 title, then had a fantastic game of the GameCube. But then came Super Paper Mario, I really didn't like that game, but I can at least accept what they did, they just to try something different like a trial and error. After that game, I figure the series would go back to its roots, but instead we got this awful abomination that completely killed the series. Sticker Star has so many problems that I can name: terrible story, boring gameplay outside of battle, horrible battle system, tedious bosses, poorly designed locations, and no fun to be had whatsoever. Do not even consider touching this game, it is not all worth the time you could put into it. Instead, if you want a good paper mario game, then just buy The Thousand Year Door, the pinnacle of paper mario games. Expand
  54. Jan 9, 2013
    The game shows off 3D well. The dialogue is funny. There's hardly any skill involved though. Mainly you're just walking around and hoping not to get into another tedious, pointless battle that will neither harm you nor make any significant gains. Then, after you clear the first world, the second starts by gating you based on a rare sticker. So go explore all the levels in the first worldThe game shows off 3D well. The dialogue is funny. There's hardly any skill involved though. Mainly you're just walking around and hoping not to get into another tedious, pointless battle that will neither harm you nor make any significant gains. Then, after you clear the first world, the second starts by gating you based on a rare sticker. So go explore all the levels in the first world again, turning them upside down looking for it and grinding (but not earning XP or anything) for hours just so you can take the next step! Seriously, who thought of that?

The game starts off with a hearty dose of charm, but the gameplay turns it into a slow, plodding chore that wears out its welcome as you retread already overly simplistic stages again and again looking for rare stickers.
  55. Jun 5, 2015
    Fans of the Paper Mario series won't be disappointed. Yet another fine entry and it looks amazing on the New 3DS. It's not Super Paper Mario or Thousand Year Door, nor does it pretend to be. It's a new entry in the series and quite enjoyable. Recommended for anyone who has played all the others.
  56. Nov 27, 2015
    This game has got some of the worst gameplay ever!I can't even make it past the second level because this game just throws you in and expects the impossible!Although I have never played the first two games,they have got really good reviews and Super Paper Mario is a really good game,but Sticker Star is just horrible!The only good part about this game is the absolutely amazingThis game has got some of the worst gameplay ever!I can't even make it past the second level because this game just throws you in and expects the impossible!Although I have never played the first two games,they have got really good reviews and Super Paper Mario is a really good game,but Sticker Star is just horrible!The only good part about this game is the absolutely amazing soundtrack,but that is the only positive about this game.DON'T BUY THIS GAME!!!!! Expand
  57. Sep 28, 2016
    Ignoring all of the, "I only want TTYD, and nothing else" cries. I've never played TTYD, only the first paper mario, and super paper mario. This means that I have fresh perspective and I've played 3 very different paper mario games. I really have enjoyed this game. Is it different, yes...is it bad...NO. 75 critic score is accurate and deserved. There is no grinding involved whichIgnoring all of the, "I only want TTYD, and nothing else" cries. I've never played TTYD, only the first paper mario, and super paper mario. This means that I have fresh perspective and I've played 3 very different paper mario games. I really have enjoyed this game. Is it different, yes...is it bad...NO. 75 critic score is accurate and deserved. There is no grinding involved which many people don't like, and often you should avoid battles as they tend to use up your resources, but resources aren't hard to come by. The battle system is refreshing to me. I've certainly never seen another like it. The game is on the easy side, battle wise, and there could be more info about what stickers to use when, but if you pay attention to the game world and the dialogue, you can figure it out. Expand
  58. Oct 2, 2016
    Ah paper mario sticker star. Truth be told i was excited when i first got this. I started playing it right when i got it. I kept on wondering "when will i get my first partner" and "when will i level up" And then i figured out, no partners and no leveling system. No charming characters and no funny jokes. Just a bunch of toads and mario doing the cliche save princess peach. I got so boredAh paper mario sticker star. Truth be told i was excited when i first got this. I started playing it right when i got it. I kept on wondering "when will i get my first partner" and "when will i level up" And then i figured out, no partners and no leveling system. No charming characters and no funny jokes. Just a bunch of toads and mario doing the cliche save princess peach. I got so bored and so stuck i stopped playing. I tried to go back to it but i was so stuck on a part i could not do it. Theres no point in battling either. No reward but coins. And wanna know what you use coins for? MORE STICKERS! AND YOU USE STICKERS TO BATTLE. I was really disappointed. The gameplay certainly isint bad, But its easy to get stuck and no point in even battling. Battles are easy due to some op stickers as well. So this is just a bad game. And with color splash i think paper mario is a dying series. And i hate to say it. So this is just a bad game. Expand
  59. Aug 12, 2013
    This game is bad, especially for a paper Mario title. This a bare bones RPG title, no level up system which makes battles annoying, the only use of coins is to buy stickers to waste on enemys that you don't really need to kill anyways hence the NEED of a level up system, a bad story, the fact I cant go through the game without going online consistenty, and pointless combat, deteriorateThis game is bad, especially for a paper Mario title. This a bare bones RPG title, no level up system which makes battles annoying, the only use of coins is to buy stickers to waste on enemys that you don't really need to kill anyways hence the NEED of a level up system, a bad story, the fact I cant go through the game without going online consistenty, and pointless combat, deteriorate what is great combat and exploration Expand
  60. Dec 12, 2012
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a game that I wanted to love, and my 3ds was desperately waiting for a great RPG. This, however, is not that game. The humor, visuals, and music are all wonderful.. the only problem, is the main concept. There is very little RPG elements left in this game. Stickers do a defined damage, there are no stats, no leveling up.. no experience points. You arePaper Mario: Sticker Star is a game that I wanted to love, and my 3ds was desperately waiting for a great RPG. This, however, is not that game. The humor, visuals, and music are all wonderful.. the only problem, is the main concept. There is very little RPG elements left in this game. Stickers do a defined damage, there are no stats, no leveling up.. no experience points. You are collecting stickers, getting some money for beating baddies... so that you can buy a few more stickers. Hopefully being able to buy more than you used in the battle. It's sad how pointless battles are in this game. Strategy is limited, skill is almost a non-factor.. Those things that made the GC title (The Thousand Year Door) shine are gone. WIll the ever return? Is this the direction of the portable title alone? Will this style infect console Paper Mario titles? I can only hope this doesn't do well sales-wise.. which is sad because I'm a huge fan of Nintendo, and Paper Mario... this game was a let down for me.

Rent it, but it used. Don't support this title. It's a disgrace to the other great PM games.. :(
  61. Dec 8, 2012
    This Paper Mario is fantastic! it feels fresh and new and exciting to play. Fans of the series might find some of the changes made to this game a hit or miss but i truly enjoy the gameplay as a whole and find it to have a large fun factor. The Paper Mario series is known for its comedy and fun bright and colorful environments which are all held in tact in this game along with great musicThis Paper Mario is fantastic! it feels fresh and new and exciting to play. Fans of the series might find some of the changes made to this game a hit or miss but i truly enjoy the gameplay as a whole and find it to have a large fun factor. The Paper Mario series is known for its comedy and fun bright and colorful environments which are all held in tact in this game along with great music and fun characters. This is a game that was made to be played for fun as all games should be but sadly many can't get that aspect right. If you are new to the series there isn't much of a learning curve you can learn the combat and main mechanics quite easily so you can be better equipped to face the challenges ahead. And speaking of challenge this game has a fair challenge to it not over the top like some games but enough to make you look before you leap and use more problem solving in certain situations. Overall i'd recommend this game highly to anyone looking for something fun cause thats what this game does best! Expand
  62. Jan 5, 2013
    The things sticker puzzles are annoying, there's too little movement in the field, the story is boring and why are there only toads and old Mario enemies? Miyamoto, I like the sticker battle system and the paperising is a great idea (music and graphics are awesome too), but next time let Intelligent Systems just do their job alone. It's also far too short. However, I still liked it.The things sticker puzzles are annoying, there's too little movement in the field, the story is boring and why are there only toads and old Mario enemies? Miyamoto, I like the sticker battle system and the paperising is a great idea (music and graphics are awesome too), but next time let Intelligent Systems just do their job alone. It's also far too short. However, I still liked it. Sticker Star still has some charm and there are a lot of secrets and awesome boss fights. The battle system isn't perfect (were's my EXP and why can't I choose which enemiy I want to attack?) but it's actually a lot of fun. I give it a 7; good, but it could have been much better! Expand
  63. Sep 22, 2013
    Lo malo que tiene este juego es que no podes subir de nivel, entonces cuando terminas una batalla no recibis nada de recompensa y tenes que conseguir o comprar mas pegatinas porque las perdes, me esperaba mucho mas de este juego
  64. Feb 17, 2014
    I like how it is an Turn based RPG again. For a hand held it was ok. I didn't really like the sticker thing, hopefully soon paper mario will return to the console(s) and stay more true to its original gamer audience paper mario on N64 or thousand year door.
  65. Jul 21, 2016
    This is not a bad game but is very disappointing ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg I added a bunch of gas to make the review 150 characters long
  66. Mar 6, 2017
    It really is a shame that this game basically SUCKS. You first off can't even call it an RPG because it has almost NONE of the elements on what makes an RPG. Not even EXP! Like, come on now really? This is probably the worst entry in Mario's history because of how lacking it is of depth and challenge. Is it because it's a handheld game? that's really not an excuse Nintendo. I mean PokemonIt really is a shame that this game basically SUCKS. You first off can't even call it an RPG because it has almost NONE of the elements on what makes an RPG. Not even EXP! Like, come on now really? This is probably the worst entry in Mario's history because of how lacking it is of depth and challenge. Is it because it's a handheld game? that's really not an excuse Nintendo. I mean Pokemon can have a good story and THAT'S handheld. Plese Nintendo for once make something like the thousand year door. I think we would all appreciate that. PS this game is really bad, don't buy it. Expand
  67. Nov 12, 2012
    So far, I have beaten the first world in this game, so I haven't fully experienced, but I really enjoy what I've been experiencing so far. The game has that same charm that we have been having with the series. I wasn't a fan of SPM, but TTYD and the original are some of my favorite games, so I welcome the return to the turn based. HOWEVER I feel that the combat lacks a rewarding feeling,So far, I have beaten the first world in this game, so I haven't fully experienced, but I really enjoy what I've been experiencing so far. The game has that same charm that we have been having with the series. I wasn't a fan of SPM, but TTYD and the original are some of my favorite games, so I welcome the return to the turn based. HOWEVER I feel that the combat lacks a rewarding feeling, because the only thing you get from battle is coins. This gives me more of a "I better just avoid all the enemies I can" sort of feeling. I also wish there were more towns other than Decalburg(I could be wrong here, I've only finished world 1). This game is incredibly fun though, the combat feels as great as ever, and I have a smile on my face the whole time with that jazzy music. While this game isn't nearly as deep as it's predecessors, it's still a meaty experience on the 3DS. Expand
  68. Dec 28, 2012
    Paper Mario; The series that has had a firm grip over the past years as to what an engaging, and humorous Nintendo RPG should be like. Until now. It would be an overstatement to say that this game was just 'okay'. To be honest, I didn't enjoy this game much at all. Every now and again I find myself going back to it, when I feel as though there is nothing else to play. The sticker idea wasPaper Mario; The series that has had a firm grip over the past years as to what an engaging, and humorous Nintendo RPG should be like. Until now. It would be an overstatement to say that this game was just 'okay'. To be honest, I didn't enjoy this game much at all. Every now and again I find myself going back to it, when I feel as though there is nothing else to play. The sticker idea was unique, I'll give it that, but the fact that I couldn't level Mario up, was absolutely atrocious. It took away from the point of even jumping on enemies, which in most Mario games, is one of the best things to do. There was no partners either. Having to go back and forth between levels that I've already played was tedious. The 'puzzles' were tedious. Basically everything about this game, was tedious. I enjoy the graphics that Paper Mario has to offer, but after playing Paper Mario 64, or playing Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door, this one does not live up to its predecessors. Too much change, is not always a good thing. For those who are new to the series, I recommend only picking this up if you absolutely are desperate for a Mario game on the 3DS and have played - and beaten - the others. Expand
  69. May 28, 2013
    This game is average in a series renowned for being some of the best ever created. The story is intriguing but nothing inspired and the rpg elements are abused to put it lightly. I never thought i would live to see the day where your most basic attack can become unavailable in a paper Mario game. if stickers had more than one use than the game might be better but in the end it feels likeThis game is average in a series renowned for being some of the best ever created. The story is intriguing but nothing inspired and the rpg elements are abused to put it lightly. I never thought i would live to see the day where your most basic attack can become unavailable in a paper Mario game. if stickers had more than one use than the game might be better but in the end it feels like you are wasting more uses than gaining by entering into the lackluster combat. in the end the game is not terrible but is not what the paper Mario series deserves Expand
  70. Apr 16, 2013
    This is by far my least enjoyable Paper Mario game. The premise behind using a battle system that revolves around no leveling up or learning new abilities is a travesty for an awesome RPG series like Paper Mario. For the first couple hours, I liked using the stickers and thought it was a cool idea. Then I ran out of them and I literally couldn't attack or do anything. Talk about aThis is by far my least enjoyable Paper Mario game. The premise behind using a battle system that revolves around no leveling up or learning new abilities is a travesty for an awesome RPG series like Paper Mario. For the first couple hours, I liked using the stickers and thought it was a cool idea. Then I ran out of them and I literally couldn't attack or do anything. Talk about a buzzkill.....As my frustration mounted from this stupid sticker system, I would run away from enemy encounters to stave my stickers. That is pathetic, and a painful flaw in the game design.

The story is funny, but I had to use a game guide to get through it. I do not know how this game is intended for kids based off how many times I got stuck. The lack of side quests too and the linearity really bothered me. Kristi is your only party member which is incredibly disappointing. Doesn't help too Kristi is kinda of a debbie-downer throughout the whole game.

The graphics and sound are superb tho. I loved how vivid each environment looked and it really had the Paper Mario charm in the looks department. This game definitely disappointed me, but I still managed to have fun with it
  71. Mar 29, 2014
    This was by far one of the worst games I've ever played, I'm not exaggerating. I don't understand why everyone was giving it 8, 9, and 10s this game was not just the worst in the series but it was just horrible in general. And to all the people who say that Super Paper Mario was bad, no it wasn't, sure it was different but it was still an RPG it had leveling up, and creative worldsThis was by far one of the worst games I've ever played, I'm not exaggerating. I don't understand why everyone was giving it 8, 9, and 10s this game was not just the worst in the series but it was just horrible in general. And to all the people who say that Super Paper Mario was bad, no it wasn't, sure it was different but it was still an RPG it had leveling up, and creative worlds (chapters). But as for Sticker Star, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems took away everything good about Paper Mario 64 and PMTTYD and published this "new addition" to the series. But it was downright terrible, all I can say was that it had nice graphics and a couple good sound tracks, but that was it. Sticker Star had no leveling up, which made battling pointless for the game. You could probably fight no enemies and just make money from the stickers you find in blocks to get better ones and just fight bosses and beat the game, and now that I'm talking about it, the Sticker idea for fighting was flawed in all ways possible, it required no skill, you could only use one sticker once, and then get no xp for fighting and just money from fighting to buy more pointless stickers. The worlds (Chapters) were linear and bland PM64, PMTTYD and Super Paper Mario, they all had creative chapter designs and plots, most chapters in the the original 3 were creative and had more story to them then just collecting the Star Spirit, Crystal Star, or Pure Heart you needed to get. Sticker Star had bland chapter designs and bland plots to them, all it was was "beat some levels, backtrack into other levels after solving a puzzle, fight the boss, get the Sticker Crown." That was it, and the bosses were creative too! they were just souped up normal enemies from the game. Even worse, you needed seome one of a kind sticker to easily beat them, which is ridiculous The game had too many challenging moments like World 3, i had to go on IGN for walkthroughs far too many times then i should have. There were no partners either, Partners i the Paper Mario games made it what it was. Goombario, Bow, Watt, Lakilester, Yosi, Vivian, Bomberry were amazing and had personality, not like Kersti who probably sounded like she was reading directly from a script. Even Super Paper Mario kind of had partners, the Pixls, still better then not having any at all. What was more annoying was that Bowser was the final boss, I loved how PMTTYD and Super Paper Mario didn't make Bowser the final boss like in other Mario games, and even in Paper Mario 64 Bowser was the main enemy, but the went in depth to his character and his plot, Bowser had NO LINES in Sticker Star. I honestly don't understand how some of you like this game, I won't attack you for liking it but you cant focus on the games nice graphics, because that's the only good thing about it. Overall this game was a train wreck, I hope Nintendo and Intelligent Systems redeem them selves and make a game more styled like PM64 or PMTTYD. Expand
  72. Jul 19, 2015
    This game is absolute, complete garbage. The fact that Nintendo took money from people for this game is a disgrace. I've given Paper Mario two chances since the amazing, incredible Thousand Year Door, and that little twerp has blown both chances. At least the Wii Paper Mario had some redemptive qualities. This, on the other hand....

Look at any negative review. What will you see?

Look at any negative review. What will you see? That battles here are pointless. Why? Well, when you go into battle, you use stickers. What do you get when you win a battle? More stickers. No EXP points... just...more stickers. So why the hell would I want to go into battle with ANYONE!? Good God, who thought this was a good idea? There was NO ONE who thought to speak up and say something?! Who's working at Nintendo these days? The Minions from Despicable Me?

This is literally the worst game I've played.. maybe ever. I owned Superman 64. I took more enjoyment out of that game (yes, I used cheat codes to make it bearable but still).

I WANTED to like this game. I put ELEVEN hours into it, trying to convince myself that hey, this isn't so bad. Then as I was running through a forest, dodging enemies (again, battles are pointless wastes of time) it hit me. This game is so bad, I would rather have a lobotomy than be forced to play it another second.
  73. Nov 13, 2012
    At first, Paper Mario will look like a smaller version of the RPG classic we've learned to love, but after the first 10 hours you'll realize that it's just as big (if not bigger), than its older brother. Paper Mario is a solid adventure with some reworked RPG elements, that have been modified to fit a handheld, and it does an excellent job in doing so. I'll give you the basics and what youAt first, Paper Mario will look like a smaller version of the RPG classic we've learned to love, but after the first 10 hours you'll realize that it's just as big (if not bigger), than its older brother. Paper Mario is a solid adventure with some reworked RPG elements, that have been modified to fit a handheld, and it does an excellent job in doing so. I'll give you the basics and what you need to know in deciding if this title is for you or not. The combat has been completely overhauled into a strategic battle that is turned based and executed with stickers. Instead of leveling up. Some people might not like that idea but for me it works great! Finding heart pieces to extend your life bar and stickers to make you more powerful works really well and I found myself liking it a bit more than having to level grind to get stronger. The point of battles is to acquire some rare stickers "at times", and coins to purchase and convert rare items (things), into stickers to unlock SEVERAL hidden areas. This game is HUGE and full of hidden areas that are only unlocked with rare stickers you might find in other areas. Paper Mario does a fantastic job in NOT holding your hand and making you actually think on were to go next. It is not linear and has a map that reminds me of SMW(SNES), where you are able to unlock certain areas after completing such and such objectives. Paper Mario focuses more on an adventure with some platforming but stays true to its roots. Combat is even more complex and could be easy or difficult, depending on your knowledge and album size; that's right, your able to upgrade your album as you progress to fit more stickers in. As I mentioned before, instead of leveling up, you have to find heart pieces and expand your album as you progress which actually is sort of like leveling up, without actually making your attack stronger, the stickers you find along the way make your attacks stronger. The rarer the sticker the stronger your attack so it evens itself out. I can't stress how beautiful the overall world is! This is truly a remarkable game that utilizes the 3D function to the fullest extent. I honestly was skeptical on getting this but am sure glad I did, because Paper Mario Sticker Star is one of the better titles in the series since Paper Mario 64. GET THIS GAME, but be warned that it is re-worked to be played on the go and is more like a wonderful adventure filled with puzzles and witty humor, instead of the traditional leveling up system. Either way, the combat is just as entertaining and satisfying as the previous versions. It's all up to the stickers and how you use them that will decide if your able to achieve victory... Enjoy! Expand
  74. Aug 10, 2013
    Although it has the best soundtrack in my opinion, it is technically the worst Paper Mario game overall. However, it doesn't mean it's a bad game, it still is a lot of fun and I recommend any newcomers to the series to try out this simple entry first before tackling the other ones.
  75. Nov 24, 2013
    Being a HUGE fan of the Paper Mario franchise I purchased Sticker Star with a predetermined bias. That being said: after getting used to the sticker feature in terms of battles I grew to enjoy the level of freedom that gave the player. There is some heat of the Super Mario World-esq transportation between levels which inherently takes away from the open world that us Paper Mario fans love.Being a HUGE fan of the Paper Mario franchise I purchased Sticker Star with a predetermined bias. That being said: after getting used to the sticker feature in terms of battles I grew to enjoy the level of freedom that gave the player. There is some heat of the Super Mario World-esq transportation between levels which inherently takes away from the open world that us Paper Mario fans love. While this is true, its not a game killer. the adventure is still exciting and sometimes with a hint of challenge. I thoroughly enjoyed this game and would play it again. Expand
  76. Mar 14, 2016
    It's a good game, but sadly it's not a Paper Mario game.
    It's a good game, but sadly it's not a Paper Mario game.
    The graphics are great, that's all i have to say that is good about it. While this game needs some strategy while using stickers to defeat bosses, the sticker system is not good, in Paper Mario you can jump and use a hammer without any costs, and use the special attacks with the Hammer/Jump costing you FP, but now everything has a cost, stickers. This system is far from being the best, it's good, but it's a betrayal for Paper Mario fans, but that's not the problem.
    The huge letdown this game has is lack of charm, this game is good on it's own, but the charm Paper Mario had is not there. Where are the original characters (aside from Kersti)? Where is the new Goomba partner? Where's the new Koopa partner? Where's the new Bomb partner? Even Super Paper Mario had these, but now everything we have is Toads, and there's no one behind Mario, it's just him and his stupid stickers. The great story, where is it? Why is everything based on a gimmick (stickers)?
    I actually remember when this game was announced back in 2010, Mario had a chomp partner (something we never had), he was useful in both battles and in the overworld. It was something that made me excited when i was 9 years old. But sadly, you made this game a excuse of a game, i mean, how the heck can you make a game destined to be great be a excuse? It WAS going to be great, it HAD a partner system which would qualify this game as a Paper Mario game, but then you removed the new partner system, and basically turned it into Super Mario 3D land, with unoriginal worlds and characters. I remember a lot of Toads which were original in the Paper Mario and Paper Mario TTYD, but then you made all of them silly Toads, without diversity. There's not even Enemies NPCS or at least not those who where partners or lived on a village. And the battles are almost pointless, you can earn coins to buy new stickers, but there's no leveling up, something that made Paper Mario great. Well, that's all i have to say.

Intelligent Systems, please add at least ONE thing that was great on Paper Mario, all i want are Partners, no, not a new Kersti please, at least 7-9 partners, i beg you. I'm actually fine with a system like Sticker Star's, but all i want is someone behind me, someone to help me, someone to make the game more challenging, that's all i want.

I would say this is my 4th favorite Paper Mario game, but it's not even one, it's just a Super Mario 3D Land copy with a Mario made of paper on it.
  77. Jan 21, 2016
    This game sucks. The stickers suck the gameplay suck the story suck EVERYTHING SUCKS IN THIS GAME! NINTENDO SHAME ON YOU THIS GAME IS A MISTAKE! Dont bús this one!
  78. Jan 13, 2016
    In my opinion, this is the most underrated Mario game out there. People constantly talk about how this game is terrible because it isn't like the first two Paper Mario games, but that doesn't make the game bad. Super Paper Mario is by far my favorite Paper Mario game, due to how creative, clever, and overall fun it was. Sticker Star has some unique ideas, but there are some notable flawsIn my opinion, this is the most underrated Mario game out there. People constantly talk about how this game is terrible because it isn't like the first two Paper Mario games, but that doesn't make the game bad. Super Paper Mario is by far my favorite Paper Mario game, due to how creative, clever, and overall fun it was. Sticker Star has some unique ideas, but there are some notable flaws that it has.

Essentially, Sticker Star has a lot in common with the original Paper Mario games in that you have platforming in a free-roam environment, and the return of turn-based combat. The combat allows Mario to pull off attacks, use healing items, and all sorts of unique things depending on the stickers he has equipped. You don't have stickers, you can't battle-it's as simple as that. Experimenting with all kinds of stickers is a lot of fun, and you can still block to reduce damage taken from attacks. However, what I find flawed here is the complete lack of leveling up or experience. This means that Mario never gets stronger, except for the fact that some stickers are more powerful than others. This gets a bit old after a while, and it makes the bosses feel like they go on way too long.

Another point I find both good and bad about the game is the story. It's incredibly simple, especially compared to the other Paper Mario games. It's still about as funny and charming as ever, but don't expect the darkness of Thousand-Year Door or the emotional characters of Super Paper Mario.

The game's strongest point is how well the paper gimmick is used. So many amusing gags, puzzles, and the stickers in general prove this. Sticker Star may have its flaws, and it may be very confusing at times, but it's still very enjoyable overall. For that, I give it a 7/10.
  79. Feb 3, 2017
    May be the worst Paper Mario but still a good game on its own merits. The dialogue is as witty as I've expected from the series and the puzzles and battles are a nice change of pace, not perfect but a good game still. I just wish they were a bit more creative.
  80. Nov 21, 2012
    Sticker Star, like all the other games in the series, is a brilliantly-crafted game. The stickers, although they may feel gimmicky at first, turn out to be an entertaining addition to the game. The writing, as always, is consistently entertaining; there aren't many other Mario characters who repeatedly mock Kamek and his magikoopa brethren for being a hipster, and the visual presentationSticker Star, like all the other games in the series, is a brilliantly-crafted game. The stickers, although they may feel gimmicky at first, turn out to be an entertaining addition to the game. The writing, as always, is consistently entertaining; there aren't many other Mario characters who repeatedly mock Kamek and his magikoopa brethren for being a hipster, and the visual presentation is brilliant, perfectly complimenting that 3DS's 3D.

The game has some hiccups, though. Puzzles frequently stray from being to difficult to being plain unfair, making you burn through valuable stickers looking for an ambiguous answer; for instance, at one point you have to melt some snow, and have a Lighter, a Heater, and a Match. I hope you picked the Heater first, because those other two won't drop back into your inventory if you chose them. It's similar with bosses: most require a specific item to beat, but that item may not even be in that level. Another weak point is the story, which, unlike the deep plots of the previous two installments, is almost exactly like the original's, where an invisible Bowser captures Peach and you have to collect Plot Coupons to beat him.

But those issues rarely detract from this otherwise engaging game. If you have a 3DS, Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a must-have.
  81. Oct 6, 2014
    Absolutely terrible. One of the worst Nintendo games I have ever played. They progression through the story is non-intuitive and nearly impossible to figure out by yourself without a guide. The sticker system is honestly just annoying, and the series has lost all of its narrative charm. I tried so hard to play this game but I stopped playing without even beating it. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, IAbsolutely terrible. One of the worst Nintendo games I have ever played. They progression through the story is non-intuitive and nearly impossible to figure out by yourself without a guide. The sticker system is honestly just annoying, and the series has lost all of its narrative charm. I tried so hard to play this game but I stopped playing without even beating it. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. I truely don't understand positive reviews, probably people who played the game for an hour. Expand
  82. Nov 11, 2012
    Even though it is way better than the one on Wii, it still isn't better than the ones Gamecube and N64. It still is a great game though. It still has great humor and alot of great battles and the sticker combat system is a great feature that adds alot to the game.
  83. Nov 29, 2012
    Paper Mario 64 and Paper Mario The Thousandth Year Door will always be classics games, as they have expanded the mario universe by setting grand, deep adventures revolving around interactions with its inhabitants. Super Paper Mario is more so a completely different game than a direct sequel to these two games. Despite being a sequel nominally, Super Paper Mario features a completelyPaper Mario 64 and Paper Mario The Thousandth Year Door will always be classics games, as they have expanded the mario universe by setting grand, deep adventures revolving around interactions with its inhabitants. Super Paper Mario is more so a completely different game than a direct sequel to these two games. Despite being a sequel nominally, Super Paper Mario features a completely different gameplay style, with nearly as much depth as its prequels. However, Super Paper Mario fell short of matching the greatness of the first two Paper Mario games. Then there's Sticker Star. Sticker Star began in development as a conventional Paper Mario game in the style of the first two games, but Miyamoto insisted that the game be playable as a handheld. Although change is often good for sequels, for Paper Mario, this may not be the case. Sticker Star lacks depth of any sort. The story is.....big surprise: Bowser kidnaps peach..... and that's all there is to it. There are few interesting side characters, no party members, and little dialogue. These factors are what made the first three Paper Mario games so memorable. Rather than having story based gameplay with the inclusion of puzzles, Sticker Star consists solely of puzzles revolving around the newfound ability to "stickerize". This does make for some creative puzzles, but these puzzles alone do not justify this game being called a Paper Mario game. I am tempted to rate this game lower, because I am stubborn and disappointed that this game lacks the depth of the prequels, but I must admit that this game does succeed on some levels. The sticker battle system forces you to allocate your stickers appropriately. However, this is the only strategy involved in the whole game, and it is rather thin strategy. You will surely lose to a boss if you do not, by sheer chance, guess its weakness. There are over 60 possible "thing" stickers to choose from, and certain bosses can only be defeated with a particular one, and it is hard to guess which one it is, until you die several times and the game gives you a hint. To wrap this review up I'll conclude by summarizing the games pros and cons. A pro are that it once again attempts to keep the Paper Mario formula fresh by changing up the gameplay. A con is that is also gets rid of the characters, story, and atmosphere that made the other three entries in the series so great. Another pro is that, once you get used to the sticker system, collecting, and puzzles, the game is often pretty fun at times. A con however, is that the battle system is flawed, especially for boss battles, and there is little depth to anything in the game. However, this game's not all that bad, I just hope that the next Paper Mario game actually has a soul. Expand
  84. Jan 15, 2013
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a hard game to review. As a Paper Mario game, it's very unexpected and different than the past console games in the series. However, it does a superb job as a handheld take of the series, and I feel that is the most important part. The visuals are done with love and care, and look great. The dialogue is great, as the series is reputed for having. The removal ofPaper Mario: Sticker Star is a hard game to review. As a Paper Mario game, it's very unexpected and different than the past console games in the series. However, it does a superb job as a handheld take of the series, and I feel that is the most important part. The visuals are done with love and care, and look great. The dialogue is great, as the series is reputed for having. The removal of some of the RPG elements of the game will no doubt disappoint many, but to be honest, they wouldn't really even be necessary in a game like this. It's a good game that all 3DS owners, fans and non alike, should at least try. Expand
  85. Feb 19, 2013
    If you loved paper mario:the thousand year door and think its an amazing game, and you're like "this game is its sequel I'm expecting so much", a friendly advice: forget it, this game is average at best unfortunately. No new characters other than Kersti,. Bowser the awsome villain doesn't say anything, and the changes in this game are too great. Don't get me wrong, changes aren't bad, butIf you loved paper mario:the thousand year door and think its an amazing game, and you're like "this game is its sequel I'm expecting so much", a friendly advice: forget it, this game is average at best unfortunately. No new characters other than Kersti,. Bowser the awsome villain doesn't say anything, and the changes in this game are too great. Don't get me wrong, changes aren't bad, but taking everything that was good in paper mario(partners, leveling, badges, playable characters etc) and replacing them with just stickers is like paying 10 bucks just to receive 2. I mean, just go to Wiki once and see differences between this game and its previous titles, and you'll get a WHOLE lot of "this is the first game in the series NOT to have (that)".The areas are too simple- snow area, desert, forest, unlike the usually unique places of previous paper mario games. One thing that i'd love to say is good but unfortunately didn't turn out that well is that this game is based on puzzles a lot more than other mario rpg's which would be a good thing, but it is very likely that you'll miss whatever you need to solve the puzzle and you'll have to backtrack to get it., and there are tons of stages. Sometimes the solutions don't make sense either. It is very likely that you'll be frustrated/stuck here and there:p The battle system is done entirely by stickers. No stickers=can't attack. At all. The battles feel and are pretty much unrewarding as you have no experience points/level. When you win you get coins, which you use to get stickers, but in order to win you have to use stickers, which is kinda..you know. But in the end they did revert back to turn based battle system-the only good change to the game imo. Although I did list tons of negative aspects compared to positive ones, this is by no means a bad game, but is far inferior to other mario rpg's. Expand
  86. Feb 17, 2014
    Disappointing. This coming from a long time fan of the Paper Mario franchises that has loved and treasured these games since the beginning. Sadly however this game removes any of the charming locales, characters and overall level design of the previous installments. Any of the notable RPG elements such as XP are completely removed and simple moves such as jumping in combat or swinging yourDisappointing. This coming from a long time fan of the Paper Mario franchises that has loved and treasured these games since the beginning. Sadly however this game removes any of the charming locales, characters and overall level design of the previous installments. Any of the notable RPG elements such as XP are completely removed and simple moves such as jumping in combat or swinging your hammer require a sticker which just seems pointless. I still have high hopes for this franchise but not in this... abomination. The original on the N64 and its sequel on the GameCube deserve your time much more so than this astronomically low-point for the series. Expand
  87. Sep 9, 2014
    A decent game, but would go with paper mario the thousand year door a thousand times over, no pun intended. It just lacks a good story like the two first paper marios.
  88. Oct 7, 2016
    I am only making this review to compare how absolutely terrible this game was compared to Paper Mario: Color Splash. Take Color Splash and remove all semblance of thought that went into it and you basically get a tl;dr for this game.
  89. Oct 19, 2015
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, that's how Miyamoto should have thought when he told the designers to change the concept to Sticker Star. Thanks to Miyamoto the end result became a huge dissapointment, with a broken battle system and a flat story. Even if the music is kinda nice, I would never recommend this to a true Paper Mario fan.
  90. Mar 12, 2016
    I just cannot recommend this game to anyone except die hard Mario fans and even then maybe not even them. Yes the turn based combat came back witch was good but it really lost something. The loss of gaining experience and gaining something from battles is so great that it makes battle something to avoid rather than take on and overcome. The worst thing that I have heard from people is thatI just cannot recommend this game to anyone except die hard Mario fans and even then maybe not even them. Yes the turn based combat came back witch was good but it really lost something. The loss of gaining experience and gaining something from battles is so great that it makes battle something to avoid rather than take on and overcome. The worst thing that I have heard from people is that you can run out of attack stickers. Like how on earth do you make a game where you can leave your player defenseless just because they have fought too many things. There are also so many generic toads,and I know that Nintendo can do better, they have in the past, they've created amazing worlds and people in those worlds but now they're just missing. They have taken out what made this a great game series, stripped it of all rpg elements that made it great. I have to be honest, I have not finished the game, I was just so put off that I got fed up with it and I think that I will be very hesitant in getting the next game in the series. Expand
  91. Mar 12, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the fourth game in the Paper Mario series, and returns to the turn-based battle system of the first two games. Despite this, it couldn't be further from the earlier games in terms of quality.

Unlike the first three games in the series, which had a heavy focus on story and characters, the plot in Sticker Star is practically nonexistent, instead on par with the main Mario games. Aside from the game's introduction and finale, almost nothing plot-relevant happens, and few levels have any sort of events at all. The main cast is minimal, only including Mario, Peach (who barely talks), Bowser (who doesn't talk), Kersti (a Navi-like companion), and Kamek and Bowser Jr. (who act as minibosses but only very rarely show up). The supporting cast consists almost entirely of Toads, all with the same base design and almost all of them using the standard red Toad design. If you liked the series for its story and characters, Sticker Star will disappoint you.

Instead of chapters, there are now worlds with separate levels. As you explore, you solve puzzles, some of which require reorienting stickers used for the scenery. Many levels drag. Some levels introduce extra gimmicks, such as a raft you move by standing on its edges or multiple holes you can drop down, but these often only make levels more tedious, if not unnecessarily frustrating.

While the game's graphics are great and environments have a distinct "papercraft"-like look to them, the world itself is bland and very formularic compared to the rest of the series. If you've played any of the main Mario games, you know what the worlds here are: grasslands, desert, forest, ice, jungle, lava. Combined with the lack of story, and the minimal events in general, the game ultimately feels very dull.

Kersti, your partner character in this game, doesn't join you in battle but instead gives you hints if you press L. Most of her hints are either obvious, or outright useless, making this completely worthless.

The battle system is turn-based again, but instead of having basic moves and gaining additional ones through equippable badges, EVERYTHING is based on stickers you've collected. Healing items? Stickers. Stat buffs? Stickers. Special attacks? Stickers. Your basic jump- and hammer attacks? Stickers. If you run out of stickers mid-fight, tough luck, because now you can't do anything. While the attacks themselves are fine, the fact you can end up UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING makes this system annoying at best and fundamentally broken at worst. Battles also no longer give EXP (as there's no leveling system), only coins (which you can get elsewhere) and maybe a sticker (which you can also get elsewhere far more reliably) if you're very lucky, making fighting anything not mandatory a waste of resources.

Boss fights are more like puzzles than actual fights. You NEED to have a specific sticker, gotten by finding the corresponding item and turning it into a sticker, or you'll be unable to beat the bosses, as they often take little damage without using the right Thing sticker and have very high amounts of HP. Many of these stickers use more space in your sticker album than most, meaning you have less space for other stickers, meaning it's entirely possible to run out of stickers to attack with and have to start the entire boss fight over, especially early in the game.

The only reason this game gets a 2 instead of a 0 is because of the graphics and the music - the soundtrack, unlike most of this game, is genuinely nice and has a consistent jazzy/big band style to it, though unfortunately there aren't quite as many memorable tracks as in the previous games.

Overall, I cannot in good faith recommend this game. If you like turn-based RPGs, give the first two Paper Mario games a try instead if you haven't, or the Mario & Luigi series, and if you like action-adventures with occasional puzzles (which the overworld is closest to), you're better off playing Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, or one of the Super Mario Galaxy games.
  92. Jun 16, 2016
    There are mnay things wrong, so I can not name them all.
    1. Dumbed down battle system
    2. No story
    3. Bowser is final boss
    4. Confusing puzzles
    5. You need a certain sticker to beat a boss so you need to back track finding it, and once you beat it you feel no acomplishment
    And so on...
  93. Nov 11, 2012
    While many of the core mechanics are just different enough to concern many long-time fans, fear not! This is certainly the heir to the Paper Mario lineage! Those that accept the sticker collect-a-thon will get dozens of hours of fun from this great game.
  94. Jan 4, 2013
    "Waaaaa, they took out all the RPG elements, waaaaaaaa, no XP or levelling-up, waaaa"

Shut up, and enjoy a fantastic game. The humour and the use of stickers is great, the 3D looks awesome, and the environment was cleverly thought out. I love how the shiny stickers use the systems gyroscope to make them shimmer!
  95. Nov 27, 2012
    Of all the Paper Mario games this is deffinatly the worst, but does that mean its bad? Heck no! This game pushes the whole everything is paper and cardboard art style the farthest making the graphics amazing. Also the gameplay is really creative.. here's we're the problems come in battling is next to pointless there is no exp. bar so battling is just for money. Also the game is terribleOf all the Paper Mario games this is deffinatly the worst, but does that mean its bad? Heck no! This game pushes the whole everything is paper and cardboard art style the farthest making the graphics amazing. Also the gameplay is really creative.. here's we're the problems come in battling is next to pointless there is no exp. bar so battling is just for money. Also the game is terrible with telling you what to do (bosses are great examples) Lastly the story is really lame compared to the last two games Expand
  96. Dec 24, 2012
    It's sad how oblivious and uncaring Nintendo was with this game. This is by far the worst in the series and definitely the worst Mario game for 3DS. Almost everything that made the previous installments great and special was removed. The biggest change in this game is the pointless sticker system. If you don't know what it is, Google it because I ain't got the time to explain it. BasicallyIt's sad how oblivious and uncaring Nintendo was with this game. This is by far the worst in the series and definitely the worst Mario game for 3DS. Almost everything that made the previous installments great and special was removed. The biggest change in this game is the pointless sticker system. If you don't know what it is, Google it because I ain't got the time to explain it. Basically it makes each battle feel like a waste of time. Since their is no leveling in this game, you don't get XP from winning battles, all you get is money, which is used to buy stickers, which are used to battle (you see what I'm getting at here). This is one of the most disappointing games in a long time, save your money and get something else. Expand
  97. Feb 9, 2013
    Oh this game. This cute little broken game. I really tried to like it, I really did, but there is so many game breaking issues in it (from cheap bosses, confusing levels and 3D perspective gone wrong) that as soon as I tried warming up to it, i'd have to put it aside in frustration. It's really cute, charming and beautiful and I replayed from levels just to look at how amazing it reallyOh this game. This cute little broken game. I really tried to like it, I really did, but there is so many game breaking issues in it (from cheap bosses, confusing levels and 3D perspective gone wrong) that as soon as I tried warming up to it, i'd have to put it aside in frustration. It's really cute, charming and beautiful and I replayed from levels just to look at how amazing it really was. But the average gameplay and serious issues make it seem like it was never play tested. Expand
  98. Nov 6, 2013
    I love Paper Mario. I always have. That's why it pains me to give this game a much lower score than I waited months to give it. There's no doubt the concepts in PMSS are sound, the presentation is spectacular both in audio and visually, and the charm is off the charts. The problem is there is no rewarding systems built into the game to justify some of the design choices. Turn based battlesI love Paper Mario. I always have. That's why it pains me to give this game a much lower score than I waited months to give it. There's no doubt the concepts in PMSS are sound, the presentation is spectacular both in audio and visually, and the charm is off the charts. The problem is there is no rewarding systems built into the game to justify some of the design choices. Turn based battles leave you with no sense of progress of satisfaction as there are no star points or leveling up, only coins and stickers which are all over the game world anyway. This was promised for a long time to be a return to the kind of Mario RPG masterpiece that 1,000-Year-Door was, but the game gets in the way of that promise at almost every pivotal turn. The fact this could have been a true sequel to TYD and perhaps even surpass it makes the disappointment and boredom this game offers all the more bitter. I'm sorry Paper Mario fans, I'm sorry Intelligent Systems, but I really don't like this game. Expand
  99. Dec 15, 2012
    Sempre é difícil quando um game muda seu gênero completamente, mostrando uma outra proposta e uma outra dinâmica aos gamers pelo mundo. Com esse Paper Mario não foi diferente. Sticker Star nos mostra algo realmente novo, mas não tão encantador como fora as outras séries de Mario de papel. Os outros Paper Marios (principalmente do N64)Sempre é difícil quando um game muda seu gênero completamente, mostrando uma outra proposta e uma outra dinâmica aos gamers pelo mundo. Com esse Paper Mario não foi diferente. Sticker Star nos mostra algo realmente novo, mas não tão encantador como fora as outras séries de Mario de papel. Os outros Paper Marios (principalmente do N64) foram clássicos e marcaram toda uma geração. ST, para quem é novo nesses mares, pode ser algo frustrante ou algo realmente bom. Mas para quem é velho de guerra pode se decepcionar muito com o game, fato esse os próprios Stickers ou selos. Mas quando se joga a fundo o jogo, vê-se que a Nintendo mais uma vez cala a boca dos haters dando aos jogadores algo novo e muito prático de ser usado. O sistema de leveis não existe mais, isso é bem verdade, todavia as batalhas ficaram muito mais rápidas e muito mais dinâmicas. Não há aquela necessidade monótona de enfrentar todo os inimigos do mapa a fim de evoluir no game. Apesar de ser taxado como RPG, acredito que ST esteja mais para um game mix de ação com plataforma com pitadas temperadas de RPG. Os selos são super variados, simples de se usar, caros nas lojas (mas chove dinheiro nesse game) e com efeitos muito legais. Os gráficos são bons, mas poderiam ser infinitamente melhores, contudo houve uma grande preocupação da Nintendo em mostrar os efeitos físicos do papel. Exemplo: quando se usa um ataque de água, o inimigo morre literalmente morre encharcado assim como fica um papel quando jogado em um balde d'agua; quando se usa a Fire Flower, os inimigos carbonizam e viram pó. Essas e mais coisas são legais de se ver e é gratificante ver o esforço feito nessa parte. Mas os gráficos poderiam ter sido mais caprichados e polidos. O game não é tão grande assim. Acredito que tenha horas suficientes e não chega a cansar o jogador. Se você ainda não jogou, jogue, Expand
  100. Jan 27, 2013
    The game was fun, beautifully designed and the RPG element is a kicker. I've never played the previous paper mario series so really I've got no complaint about "changes" and "improvement". I bought the game expecting a great Mario experience and I definitely got my money's worth. Two little things I wish were better: it could use more playable characters to enhance the RPG feel, and itThe game was fun, beautifully designed and the RPG element is a kicker. I've never played the previous paper mario series so really I've got no complaint about "changes" and "improvement". I bought the game expecting a great Mario experience and I definitely got my money's worth. Two little things I wish were better: it could use more playable characters to enhance the RPG feel, and it probably could use a difficulty slider--the game was a tad too easy, despites the abundance of secrets and mysteries in it. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Feb 21, 2013
    Brilliant humor and an interesting world won't save Mario's latest RPG offering. Even though the stickers add a lot of variety to the turn based battles, an RPG without any character development tends to turn repetitive eventually. Unfortunately for Mario such is the case with Sticker Star. [Feb 2013]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Feb 10, 2013
    A great reinterpretation of what makes Mario work. [March 2013, p.72]
  3. Feb 7, 2013
    Unfortunately for it, Paper Mario: Sticker Star has to deal with being a “pretty good” entry in a series that is usually considered amongst the best games on their respective consoles. While I did have fun with it, there were times when I felt like I was just going through the motions, and very little of the innovation or character of previous entries shone through.