Paper Mario: Sticker Star 3DS

5.6

1. Jul 14, 2016
    Paper Mario is amazing so is the thousand year door and super paper mario and this game...is alright. Story is bad and the gameplay is really bad. The graphics are okay and the fighting combat is probably the worse thing about this game! Did I say this game was okay? No it's trash instead.
  2. Oct 9, 2016
    Nintendo took everything we knew about Paper Mario and flipped it on its head. All the fun worlds are now gone and replaced with a world map, endless backtracking, bland and one-dimensional characters (basically all Toads), pointless combat (uses up stickers and gives nothing in return), no humorous characters, and not much of a story. The graphics are definitely nice, but that's about theNintendo took everything we knew about Paper Mario and flipped it on its head. All the fun worlds are now gone and replaced with a world map, endless backtracking, bland and one-dimensional characters (basically all Toads), pointless combat (uses up stickers and gives nothing in return), no humorous characters, and not much of a story. The graphics are definitely nice, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it. I tried to be positive about this game but compared to the previous ones, it's bad. Expand
  3. Feb 4, 2014
    This is one of the most boring, uninteresting, and disappointing "video game" I have ever played in my life.

The games first downfall is it's story and writing. it's the typical Mario story. "Bowser is evil, go stop him". No other Paper Mario before has such a lazy story. And the writing is not even funny. Unlike the previous games. The graphics are the only good part about this

The graphics are the only good part about this game. the paper world looks fantastic and the 3D effect does a great job of making the world pop out.

The game-play is boring and has zero strategy. there is no point in fighting enemy's as you cannot level up. All the bosses can be defeated in one hit with the right stickers. And the game is overall just a chore to play.

OVERALL-
  4. Jul 9, 2014
    This Paper Mario feels like nothing else in the series. It is hard to get into, with no real direction given. The combat is long and the combat system is clumsy. The stickers are not fun or very useful most of the time. There are so many limits placed on Mario. There is no flip world, and after playing Zelda Link Between Worlds I would say it is more loyal to the Paper Mario spirit thanThis Paper Mario feels like nothing else in the series. It is hard to get into, with no real direction given. The combat is long and the combat system is clumsy. The stickers are not fun or very useful most of the time. There are so many limits placed on Mario. There is no flip world, and after playing Zelda Link Between Worlds I would say it is more loyal to the Paper Mario spirit than Sticker Star. More than a little disappointed this game as it could have been something else without tarnishing the Mario brand. Expand
  5. Mar 30, 2016
    This is a extremely disappointing game. I mean, I was thrilled when I watched the trailers, getting back to the turn-based system, something I loved in the first 2 games and wasn't in the third, and the mark Paper Mario was all I needed for huge will to play this. But well... I didn't get what I expected. The great story and characters this series has had, especially the first two games,This is a extremely disappointing game. I mean, I was thrilled when I watched the trailers, getting back to the turn-based system, something I loved in the first 2 games and wasn't in the third, and the mark Paper Mario was all I needed for huge will to play this. But well... I didn't get what I expected. The great story and characters this series has had, especially the first two games, they are gone, the story is the same as every Mario game with nothing special, and the sticker system for battling is awful. You get no reward for winning battles, actually the game punishes you for battling, something I hadn't seen in any RPG. The only reward is... money. And for that you must win the battles spending your stickers, which you must buy with money or find while you play. Also bosses are ridiculous, there is an overpowered sticker for all of them that just destroys them, if you don't find it they are extremely hard, and if you find it they are piece of cake. Sure, the Paper Mario universe charm and great music are there, and the world, while not as good as the ones in the previous games, is decent (that's why this gets a 2 and not a 0...)

All in all, don't buy this, it's not worth your time, there are much better games out there.
  6. Mar 25, 2016
    Paper Mario Sticker Star took away everything that made the first two Paper Mario games great, and was an immense disappointment.

For starters, it reverted to the simple "Bowser kidnaps Peach" story, and thus lacks the interesting and original stories that previous Paper Mario games had. And even though this generic story could have been executed well, it wasn't. A bland story can still be redeemed by interesting characters, but Sticker Star has none, with the game's cast consisting of Mario, Kersti, Peach, Bowser, and about a million Toads. Yes, that's right. Instead of the game being filled with interesting and unique characters, generic Toads make up the entire supporting cast.

The gameplay has taken a dive as well. The battle system, albeit creative, is extremely irritating and lacks much depth. The lack of exp and leveling up takes away all sense of reward, and has essentially stripped the series of the RPG elements that made it great. In addition, the lack of a connected world has removed nearly all sense of exploration that the series once had. Also, the puzzles are unfairly cryptic, many times requiring some obscure sticker that you get halfway across the gameworld, with no clues leading to it whatsoever. The same applies to boss battles, each of which has a weakness to one thing sticker, and the outcome of the battle will usually depend solely on whether or not you have that sticker.

I'd like to be able to say something good about this game, some way it improved over previous Paper Mario games. But it is a downgrade in every way imaginable. The fact that this game's gameplay style is the new standard for the series makes me want to cry. Paper Mario is dead.
  7. May 18, 2017
    This game is absolute trash, what happened? The first 3 entries of the series were awesome! Then comes this pile of crap... I hate the sticker system, it completely ruins the whole game. A sloppy and disappointing entry in a franchise that deserves much better.
  8. May 15, 2016
    Terrible, terrible and one more terrible! This is worst game of all Nintendo games. By this game - Nintendo RIP Paper Mario series... terrible storyline, terrible gameplay, terrible world.
  9. Feb 8, 2013
    I really tried to give this game a chance. I really did. However, it rivals "Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood" in sheer crap factor. Sticker Star is just barely better in that you aren't forced to use the touchscreen to control the whole game. Sadly, where such touchscreen support would have been nice, it is glaringly absent, seemingly almost ignored. The plot is a bit too standard to a marioI really tried to give this game a chance. I really did. However, it rivals "Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood" in sheer crap factor. Sticker Star is just barely better in that you aren't forced to use the touchscreen to control the whole game. Sadly, where such touchscreen support would have been nice, it is glaringly absent, seemingly almost ignored. The plot is a bit too standard to a mario game, lacking any major twist to the plot that the previous entries in the series had. The complete lack of a development system makes the game fall very flat, as combat becomes nothing more than tedium, lacking real reason to exist. The sidekick you get is the most annoying since Navi herself and is even more useless than she is. All it needed to surpass her in raw annoyance was a sound effect telling you to listen like she does. For some reason, I found the constant use of the word 'sticker' to be very rapidly aggravating, and given it's said by almost every character in the game world, it was intolerable in less than 15 minutes or so. Once I hit a road block that had no obvious and immediate solution, I found myself feeling that I didn't like the game enough to bother looking at a game guide. I just shut it down, and went on to the next game I wanted to play. This game is an insult to the series, and the entire genre of JRPGs as a whole. Do yourself a huge favor: don't buy it. You aren't missing anything but compounding irritation. Expand
  10. Oct 7, 2016
    Not funny cuz you're stuck in like every hour of the game. Not even worth looking at a playthrough cuz the game just lacks fun.

Paper mario sticker star gets a 4/10
  11. Nov 26, 2012
    Change is bad. 'nuff said. I honestly don't know what to say about it besides how awful this one is compared to the originals. This shouldn't be classified as an RPG in any way because there's no incentive to fight and all attacks can only be used once before having to get more.
  12. Jul 17, 2016
    This game feels like a "New Super Mario Bros." with turn-based battles. Which would be fine if it was an actual RPG. That's right, it's an Action-Adventure game. With linear story, characters and locations, some fans don't even consider this to be a "Paper Mario" game. Now as a "Pick-up-and-play" game, it's not so bad. But for those of you who've stuck with the series even in "Super PaperThis game feels like a "New Super Mario Bros." with turn-based battles. Which would be fine if it was an actual RPG. That's right, it's an Action-Adventure game. With linear story, characters and locations, some fans don't even consider this to be a "Paper Mario" game. Now as a "Pick-up-and-play" game, it's not so bad. But for those of you who've stuck with the series even in "Super Paper Mario", you will be disgusted of this. The visuals are cute and "paperish", but that's all this game has to offer that will keep you playing. Expand
  13. Mar 13, 2016
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star is not a Paper Mario game. If you consider this the pinnacle of the series, you've obviously never played any of the previous entries. Do yourself a favor and play the older games, they're all masterpieces, even Super Paper Mario is better than this trash.
  14. Mar 9, 2017
    This may not be the worst game ever created, but it is without a doubt my most hated game of all time. In the past, Paprr Mario was excellent, as it began with a great Nintendo 64 title, then had a fantastic game of the GameCube. But then came Super Paper Mario, I really didn't like that game, but I can at least accept what they did, they just to try something different like a trial andThis may not be the worst game ever created, but it is without a doubt my most hated game of all time. In the past, Paprr Mario was excellent, as it began with a great Nintendo 64 title, then had a fantastic game of the GameCube. But then came Super Paper Mario, I really didn't like that game, but I can at least accept what they did, they just to try something different like a trial and error. After that game, I figure the series would go back to its roots, but instead we got this awful abomination that completely killed the series. Sticker Star has so many problems that I can name: terrible story, boring gameplay outside of battle, horrible battle system, tedious bosses, poorly designed locations, and no fun to be had whatsoever. Do not even consider touching this game, it is not all worth the time you could put into it. Instead, if you want a good paper mario game, then just buy The Thousand Year Door, the pinnacle of paper mario games. Expand
  15. Aug 19, 2013
    The music and graphics may be alright, but the substanceless, repetitive gameplay that has nearly nothing to do with Paper Mario is not worth your time or money. Spend 40 dollars on iPhone games instead.

P.S. Bowser has no lines of dialogue. NONE.
  16. Aug 1, 2016
    I'll start with the good parts of the game: The graphics are really nice, and the new sticker mechanic was interesting at first.

Unfortunately, that was about it for me. There was no story whatsoever, and the characters were all incredibly bland and one-note. The stickers soon became very tedious, as did combat, as well as the constant, confusing backtracking. Bowser, once again, is the generic annoying villain - not an amazing, well rounded character as in the previous games. The paper theme was also way overdone.

Overall, if you loved The Thousand Year Door or even Super Paper Mario, steer clear of this one. If not, maybe you'll find something you'll like - but there are a lot of gameplay flaws to deal with, so be careful.
  17. Jul 31, 2016
    Extremely weak and disappointing. When thinking of this game, whether as a Paper Mario installment or as its own entity, I honestly can't think of a single level on which this game isn't a total failure.

One can compare this game to the Paper Mario titles all day long, but the simple fact is that this game has absolutely nothing going for it. There is virtually nothing about this game that makes it a Paper Mario title aside from the blunt and childish paper gimmick, which the previous entries used for stylistic and presentation purposes (the first as a pop-up book, the second as a stage production). It felt as if they had made the basics of a Paper Mario game and then stripped out all of the things that made the series unique or enjoyable.

In terms of story, well, there really is no story. The stories of the previous three entries could all take up at least a full paragraph to describe, but this one's plot can't really be explained in any more detail than "Bowser's turning people into stickers, go stop him."

In terms of character, there is only one newcomer in this game, a completely unlikable and unhelpful exposition fairy named Kersti. Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Luigi are all as interesting as the paper they're made out of, a far cry from the previous games where they were all given their own personalities and subplots. Even Mario, who didn't talk outside of scripted dialogue choices, had some sort of bare characterization in the previous games. In fact, Sticker Star gives Bowser and Luigi a combined 0 lines of dialogue.

In terms of gameplay, this game is a complete failure. The new battle system is so poorly designed that the player is all but encouraged to simply skip every fight except those they're forced into. There is no experience system and winning these pointless battles only gives you the means to win more pointless battles.

In a way, one can consider this the exact opposite of Super Paper Mario. Super Paper Mario combines the gameplay of a platformer with the rewards system of an RPG. This game does the opposite, meaning instead of getting items and experience for simply jumping on enemies, in this game you have long, drawn-out fights with enemies and essentially get nothing in return.

While it probably does make me sound lucky to say it, meaning I've never been stuck with any real shovelware, I genuinely consider this the worst video game I've ever personally played. I was hoping not to get onto this subject, but I really think Miyamoto needs to step away from this series, since the only thing he's done with Paper Mario is remove everything that made it Paper Mario.
  18. Jan 9, 2013
    The game shows off 3D well. The dialogue is funny. There's hardly any skill involved though. Mainly you're just walking around and hoping not to get into another tedious, pointless battle that will neither harm you nor make any significant gains. Then, after you clear the first world, the second starts by gating you based on a rare sticker. So go explore all the levels in the first worldThe game shows off 3D well. The dialogue is funny. There's hardly any skill involved though. Mainly you're just walking around and hoping not to get into another tedious, pointless battle that will neither harm you nor make any significant gains. Then, after you clear the first world, the second starts by gating you based on a rare sticker. So go explore all the levels in the first world again, turning them upside down looking for it and grinding (but not earning XP or anything) for hours just so you can take the next step! Seriously, who thought of that?

The game starts off with a hearty dose of charm, but the gameplay turns it into a slow, plodding chore that wears out its welcome as you retread already overly simplistic stages again and again looking for rare stickers.
  19. Nov 27, 2015
    This game has got some of the worst gameplay ever!I can't even make it past the second level because this game just throws you in and expects the impossible!Although I have never played the first two games,they have got really good reviews and Super Paper Mario is a really good game,but Sticker Star is just horrible!The only good part about this game is the absolutely amazingThis game has got some of the worst gameplay ever!I can't even make it past the second level because this game just throws you in and expects the impossible!Although I have never played the first two games,they have got really good reviews and Super Paper Mario is a really good game,but Sticker Star is just horrible!The only good part about this game is the absolutely amazing soundtrack,but that is the only positive about this game.DON'T BUY THIS GAME!!!!! Expand
  20. Oct 2, 2016
    Ah paper mario sticker star. Truth be told i was excited when i first got this. I started playing it right when i got it. I kept on wondering "when will i get my first partner" and "when will i level up" And then i figured out, no partners and no leveling system. No charming characters and no funny jokes. Just a bunch of toads and mario doing the cliche save princess peach. I got so boredAh paper mario sticker star. Truth be told i was excited when i first got this. I started playing it right when i got it. I kept on wondering "when will i get my first partner" and "when will i level up" And then i figured out, no partners and no leveling system. No charming characters and no funny jokes. Just a bunch of toads and mario doing the cliche save princess peach. I got so bored and so stuck i stopped playing. I tried to go back to it but i was so stuck on a part i could not do it. Theres no point in battling either. No reward but coins. And wanna know what you use coins for? MORE STICKERS! AND YOU USE STICKERS TO BATTLE. I was really disappointed. The gameplay certainly isint bad, But its easy to get stuck and no point in even battling. Battles are easy due to some op stickers as well. So this is just a bad game. And with color splash i think paper mario is a dying series. And i hate to say it. So this is just a bad game. Expand
  21. Sep 22, 2013
    Lo malo que tiene este juego es que no podes subir de nivel, entonces cuando terminas una batalla no recibis nada de recompensa y tenes que conseguir o comprar mas pegatinas porque las perdes, me esperaba mucho mas de este juego
  22. Mar 6, 2017
    It really is a shame that this game basically SUCKS. You first off can't even call it an RPG because it has almost NONE of the elements on what makes an RPG. Not even EXP! Like, come on now really? This is probably the worst entry in Mario's history because of how lacking it is of depth and challenge. Is it because it's a handheld game? that's really not an excuse Nintendo. I mean PokemonIt really is a shame that this game basically SUCKS. You first off can't even call it an RPG because it has almost NONE of the elements on what makes an RPG. Not even EXP! Like, come on now really? This is probably the worst entry in Mario's history because of how lacking it is of depth and challenge. Is it because it's a handheld game? that's really not an excuse Nintendo. I mean Pokemon can have a good story and THAT'S handheld. Plese Nintendo for once make something like the thousand year door. I think we would all appreciate that. PS this game is really bad, don't buy it. Expand
  23. Mar 29, 2014
    This was by far one of the worst games I've ever played, I'm not exaggerating. I don't understand why everyone was giving it 8, 9, and 10s this game was not just the worst in the series but it was just horrible in general. And to all the people who say that Super Paper Mario was bad, no it wasn't, sure it was different but it was still an RPG it had leveling up, and creative worldsThis was by far one of the worst games I've ever played, I'm not exaggerating. I don't understand why everyone was giving it 8, 9, and 10s this game was not just the worst in the series but it was just horrible in general. And to all the people who say that Super Paper Mario was bad, no it wasn't, sure it was different but it was still an RPG it had leveling up, and creative worlds (chapters). But as for Sticker Star, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems took away everything good about Paper Mario 64 and PMTTYD and published this "new addition" to the series. But it was downright terrible, all I can say was that it had nice graphics and a couple good sound tracks, but that was it. Sticker Star had no leveling up, which made battling pointless for the game. You could probably fight no enemies and just make money from the stickers you find in blocks to get better ones and just fight bosses and beat the game, and now that I'm talking about it, the Sticker idea for fighting was flawed in all ways possible, it required no skill, you could only use one sticker once, and then get no xp for fighting and just money from fighting to buy more pointless stickers. The worlds (Chapters) were linear and bland PM64, PMTTYD and Super Paper Mario, they all had creative chapter designs and plots, most chapters in the the original 3 were creative and had more story to them then just collecting the Star Spirit, Crystal Star, or Pure Heart you needed to get. Sticker Star had bland chapter designs and bland plots to them, all it was was "beat some levels, backtrack into other levels after solving a puzzle, fight the boss, get the Sticker Crown." That was it, and the bosses were creative too! they were just souped up normal enemies from the game. Even worse, you needed seome one of a kind sticker to easily beat them, which is ridiculous The game had too many challenging moments like World 3, i had to go on IGN for walkthroughs far too many times then i should have. There were no partners either, Partners i the Paper Mario games made it what it was. Goombario, Bow, Watt, Lakilester, Yosi, Vivian, Bomberry were amazing and had personality, not like Kersti who probably sounded like she was reading directly from a script. Even Super Paper Mario kind of had partners, the Pixls, still better then not having any at all. What was more annoying was that Bowser was the final boss, I loved how PMTTYD and Super Paper Mario didn't make Bowser the final boss like in other Mario games, and even in Paper Mario 64 Bowser was the main enemy, but the went in depth to his character and his plot, Bowser had NO LINES in Sticker Star. I honestly don't understand how some of you like this game, I won't attack you for liking it but you cant focus on the games nice graphics, because that's the only good thing about it. Overall this game was a train wreck, I hope Nintendo and Intelligent Systems redeem them selves and make a game more styled like PM64 or PMTTYD. Expand
  24. Jul 19, 2015
    This game is absolute, complete garbage. The fact that Nintendo took money from people for this game is a disgrace. I've given Paper Mario two chances since the amazing, incredible Thousand Year Door, and that little twerp has blown both chances. At least the Wii Paper Mario had some redemptive qualities. This, on the other hand....

Look at any negative review. What will you see?

Look at any negative review. What will you see? That battles here are pointless. Why? Well, when you go into battle, you use stickers. What do you get when you win a battle? More stickers. No EXP points... just...more stickers. So why the hell would I want to go into battle with ANYONE!? Good God, who thought this was a good idea? There was NO ONE who thought to speak up and say something?! Who's working at Nintendo these days? The Minions from Despicable Me?

This is literally the worst game I've played.. maybe ever. I owned Superman 64. I took more enjoyment out of that game (yes, I used cheat codes to make it bearable but still).

I WANTED to like this game. I put ELEVEN hours into it, trying to convince myself that hey, this isn't so bad. Then as I was running through a forest, dodging enemies (again, battles are pointless wastes of time) it hit me. This game is so bad, I would rather have a lobotomy than be forced to play it another second.
  25. Jan 21, 2016
    This game sucks. The stickers suck the gameplay suck the story suck EVERYTHING SUCKS IN THIS GAME! NINTENDO SHAME ON YOU THIS GAME IS A MISTAKE! Dont bús this one!
  26. Oct 6, 2014
    Absolutely terrible. One of the worst Nintendo games I have ever played. They progression through the story is non-intuitive and nearly impossible to figure out by yourself without a guide. The sticker system is honestly just annoying, and the series has lost all of its narrative charm. I tried so hard to play this game but I stopped playing without even beating it. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, IAbsolutely terrible. One of the worst Nintendo games I have ever played. They progression through the story is non-intuitive and nearly impossible to figure out by yourself without a guide. The sticker system is honestly just annoying, and the series has lost all of its narrative charm. I tried so hard to play this game but I stopped playing without even beating it. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. I truely don't understand positive reviews, probably people who played the game for an hour. Expand
  27. Feb 17, 2014
    Disappointing. This coming from a long time fan of the Paper Mario franchises that has loved and treasured these games since the beginning. Sadly however this game removes any of the charming locales, characters and overall level design of the previous installments. Any of the notable RPG elements such as XP are completely removed and simple moves such as jumping in combat or swinging yourDisappointing. This coming from a long time fan of the Paper Mario franchises that has loved and treasured these games since the beginning. Sadly however this game removes any of the charming locales, characters and overall level design of the previous installments. Any of the notable RPG elements such as XP are completely removed and simple moves such as jumping in combat or swinging your hammer require a sticker which just seems pointless. I still have high hopes for this franchise but not in this... abomination. The original on the N64 and its sequel on the GameCube deserve your time much more so than this astronomically low-point for the series. Expand
  28. Oct 7, 2016
    I am only making this review to compare how absolutely terrible this game was compared to Paper Mario: Color Splash. Take Color Splash and remove all semblance of thought that went into it and you basically get a tl;dr for this game.
  29. Oct 19, 2015
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, that's how Miyamoto should have thought when he told the designers to change the concept to Sticker Star. Thanks to Miyamoto the end result became a huge dissapointment, with a broken battle system and a flat story. Even if the music is kinda nice, I would never recommend this to a true Paper Mario fan.
  30. Mar 12, 2016
    I just cannot recommend this game to anyone except die hard Mario fans and even then maybe not even them. Yes the turn based combat came back witch was good but it really lost something. The loss of gaining experience and gaining something from battles is so great that it makes battle something to avoid rather than take on and overcome. The worst thing that I have heard from people is thatI just cannot recommend this game to anyone except die hard Mario fans and even then maybe not even them. Yes the turn based combat came back witch was good but it really lost something. The loss of gaining experience and gaining something from battles is so great that it makes battle something to avoid rather than take on and overcome. The worst thing that I have heard from people is that you can run out of attack stickers. Like how on earth do you make a game where you can leave your player defenseless just because they have fought too many things. There are also so many generic toads,and I know that Nintendo can do better, they have in the past, they've created amazing worlds and people in those worlds but now they're just missing. They have taken out what made this a great game series, stripped it of all rpg elements that made it great. I have to be honest, I have not finished the game, I was just so put off that I got fed up with it and I think that I will be very hesitant in getting the next game in the series. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Feb 21, 2013
    Brilliant humor and an interesting world won't save Mario's latest RPG offering. Even though the stickers add a lot of variety to the turn based battles, an RPG without any character development tends to turn repetitive eventually. Unfortunately for Mario such is the case with Sticker Star. [Feb 2013]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Feb 10, 2013
    A great reinterpretation of what makes Mario work. [March 2013, p.72]
  3. Feb 7, 2013
    Unfortunately for it, Paper Mario: Sticker Star has to deal with being a “pretty good” entry in a series that is usually considered amongst the best games on their respective consoles. While I did have fun with it, there were times when I felt like I was just going through the motions, and very little of the innovation or character of previous entries shone through.