8.4

1. Nov 7, 2013
    Right off the bat I have to put this simply: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies is a pretty great game.

We're back at the Agency that got established by Phoenix and his new friends in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, almost a year after the events of said game to take on a few more trials. This time, Phoenix is back in the biz as a fully-fledged Attorney in his classic old blue suit, although he's a bit older now and looks not only bulkier but he got a tiny bit of makeover in this process as well. Fear not though, because he's as witty and comical as ever but aside from being back as a lawyer he's also the head of the Wright Anything Agency now, and has to watch over Apollo Justice and the newcomer of the firm, Athena Cykes who is also a defense attorney.

The game revolves around a story split into 5 episodes. During the course of the game you'll have to play as each of the three attorneys as they uncover a new mystery. Unfortunately though, playing as the other characters does make the story seem turbulent at times and in the end I found myself not feeling attached to either of the three characters as I previously would in either Apollo Justice or Phoenix Wright 1-3, heck even in the Edgeworth Investigations game.

Neither does it help that the story itself while initially interesting turns out to be a bit of a cop-out, and in the process it snatches ideas from previous cases from previous games, specifically the final cases of the first game and several from the others and uses those ideas to form mysteries or story bits in the story of Dual Destinies. At first this seemed like a homage to previous games, but in the end it was apparent so often that I found it to be cheap and predictable.

The writing however, is sharp, witty and most importantly often funny, a remarkable step upwards after the shallow Ace Attorney Investigations, but it's still not quite on par with some of the excellent writing found in just about any game written by series creator Shu Takumi. The tone in this game is not quite there, the themes doesn't delve as deep as they could and worst of all, the emotional moments of this game end up feeling more sappy than poignant. It's not that Dual Destinies doesn't make you feel something, but for me personally, I just didn't feel very immersed because there are moments when things get hilariously melodramatic (series staple) and there when it got outright disturbing, but there wasn't that point where it was just in between. This is something the new writing team just doesn't do as well as Shu Takumi can. The tone is inconsistent and the dialogue sometimes tries too hard to the point where it becomes pretentious, trying to "be" like the other games but comes off as a pale imitation.

The gameplay is your usual one. Episodes are usually split up into two days of investigation where you explore crimes scenes and talk to witnesses, and two days of Trial where you stand in court against a range of prosecutors, most notably the new rival staple of Dual Destinies, Simon Blackquill, who's yet another intimidating and manipulating "killer" of a prosecutor. He's actually one of the most memorable characters in the game. But things are mostly as you expect them to be. You go through a witness' testimony and present evidence to point out contradictions. A new feature added in however is the "Mood Matrix" which is captained by Athena Cykes, and is a means to explore the witnesses's emotions and find missing parts of their testimony. As a gameplay mechanic this falters as there is no way to lose when you use it, but it serves very well as a story-mechanic. So many of the game's twists and revelations are found through this mechanic and it truly makes for some of those "a-ha!" moments that we know and love about Ace Attorney. It's a fresh new thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got the kick in the next game since it's overall too simple.

Last but not least is the presentation. It's just excellent. Take out your 3DS (if you have one) and get the demo immediately or buy the game if you're going to anyway, and just observe the visual qualities for 10 seconds. You will be sold guaranteed. It's probably the most significant transition from classic 2D to 3D sprites I have seen in any franchise, and I could never go back. This time around, there's also anime cutscenes with fully voiced characters. Unfortunately these often feel tacked on and the English voice-acting is cringe-worthy if occasionally smirk-inducing in the good way. The music is also excellent, but to be honest it mostly sat in the background for me, and there's a noticeable misuse of some tracks that just play far too often than others, making it monotone at worst.

But overall, if you've played an Ace Attorney game before you SHOULD play Dual Destinies, even if you just "know" the franchise but haven't tried it yet. For the playability the game is the best of the bunch, and it's enjoyable, even when the story feels template-cut.
  2. Dec 10, 2013
    Great story with surprising plot twists, catchy and memorable soundtrack, however, cut-scenes had poor voice acting and there is WAY too much dialogue. Compared to previous games in the series, this one has the most dialogue to read. Yes, there is a lot of humour in the game but most of the dialogue is irrelevant and slows down the pace of the game e.g. "Haaaaaaaaaaaagh". It took aboutGreat story with surprising plot twists, catchy and memorable soundtrack, however, cut-scenes had poor voice acting and there is WAY too much dialogue. Compared to previous games in the series, this one has the most dialogue to read. Yes, there is a lot of humour in the game but most of the dialogue is irrelevant and slows down the pace of the game e.g. "Haaaaaaaaaaaagh". It took about 15minutes until the first cross examination began, even though we are now given the ability to fast forward dialogue (in previous games, text could be skipped only after seeing it at least once) it still takes a while until the player can do something. It would be nice to have the option to skip dialogue completely, it wouldn't matter as I skimmed through more than half of the text, yet still understood the plot. Overall I felt that the experience made it a fine Ace Attorney game, but certainly not worth the $40 it cost to download it. Expand
  3. Sep 28, 2014
    If there is a games, that I do not wanted ever to be released, it is Apollo justice and dual destinies. Why? Because the story is perfectly ended in the Trials and Tribulations, and Instead to finish it, developers decided to make a new once with new characters and features.
    First of all, I was very disappointed seeing a new technology in this game. It is not a type that needed a new graphics and anime cutscenes. But the most disappointing thing is a new characters. No matter how developers will try to shoehorn them, they are no match for the old ones. May be I am sceptical, but it is hurts to see that Phoenix treats his apprentices like Fey sisters.
    As you may guess, the gameplay has not changed a bit. It is still the same, with a little new features.
    Overall, I wish I could not ever know about this two series ever existed, because after the ending of the original trilogy, the turn of events in these games had disappointed me very much.
  4. Mar 18, 2014
    By far the worst game in the series. While the story is good, the gameplay had been butchered, and it's pathetically easy. There is no fun in pointing out problems in testimonies when it's **** obvious what the contradiction is. Plus they're pretty much scared to hand out penalties, even though it doesn't matter considering that 90% of the time a 3 year old could figure out what the answerBy far the worst game in the series. While the story is good, the gameplay had been butchered, and it's pathetically easy. There is no fun in pointing out problems in testimonies when it's **** obvious what the contradiction is. Plus they're pretty much scared to hand out penalties, even though it doesn't matter considering that 90% of the time a 3 year old could figure out what the answer was. Also the psyche lock and bracelet mechanics are so scripted that it makes Call of Duty jealous. I still enjoyed DD for the story, but unless you're a hardcore fan DD is not worth it. Expand
  5. Jun 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I think very few people play the Ace Attorney series for the gameplay itself, it's undeniable that everything past Trials and Tribulations was very much loaded with handholding and fanservice, and Dual Destinies was no exception. That said, in those two regards it was WAY better than the two Edgeworth spinoffs, and it also made some daring choices that I guess many people would find just "a mess", such as getting Phoenix back in court after AJ happened and made it temporarily an enlightened, untouchable character of which we would have only had to remember the heroic feats. Overall, though, it tried to please the fans with Phoenix and Edgeworth back in court briefly but without eclipsing the "new" things, and they even managed to make Apollo, disliked by many, have some sort of character development and overall make him more likeable. That said, the messy nature remains: the scheme Phoenix-Apollo-Athena-Apollo-Phoenix made at least sense for the cases attorneys, but overall it resulted in using magatama once or twice, bracelet once or twice, the psycho analysis a bit more because it had to be pushed as the "new cool thing", assistants to the characters switched constantly (with a completely random and fanservice-y Pearl in the end becase Trucy wasn't there anymore... the only thing I'm gonna say it's "better" in the Edgeworth spinoff is that, at least in that case, they would have at least bothered showing the interactions between two assistants for the heck of it instead of one goes out one comes in) and while I didn't mind I can tell that generally these weren't good decisions and can make it difficult for people to care about characters and find consistency in the game.

Also, the final plot twist was so arbitrary it hurt.

1. Apr 13, 2014
    Capcom has put together yet another fun and witty game, that makes us use the gray matter and will please children and adults. However, it should also be said that, several years from the first game and with only few changes added from time to time, the series may need something new very soon.
  2. Mar 12, 2014
    One of the best of the games in the series, Dual Destinies takes a while to build back up from its explosive beginning, but it’s more of the same fun characters, stories, and gameplay fans have come to expect.
  3. Feb 13, 2014
    Dual Destinies' main plot falters a little and the simplified puzzles are a shame. DD might not rise to the brilliance of the earlier Ace Attorney games, but it's still a worthy and welcome addition to the series. [Jan 2014]