6.7

1. Mar 30, 2013
    This is one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played, for many reasons. Its detailed environments and complex dungeons left me in awe, and the difficulty of the game kept me playing frequently. Like most Pokemon games, it has a creative story that is expansive and surprising. The thing that is, in my opinion, the best thing about it is that you can pick your Pokemon yourself and notThis is one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played, for many reasons. Its detailed environments and complex dungeons left me in awe, and the difficulty of the game kept me playing frequently. Like most Pokemon games, it has a creative story that is expansive and surprising. The thing that is, in my opinion, the best thing about it is that you can pick your Pokemon yourself and not have to take a quiz to decide it like in the other Mystery Dungeon games. The game does have one fatal flaw, Though: its extensive dialogue. Each NPC talks for 15 minutes at a time, and there were times I would scream at my DS to just get it over with. Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    Overall, a pretty good game, maybe NOT the BEST Mystery Dungeon game (I preferred Explores of Sky/ Time/ Darkness) but it offered a lot of gameplay that was new and welcome to the series. Graphically, the game looks very nice, with polished Pokemon. the game is very text heavy, there is a lot of talking between gameplay, and the only other flaw is the lack of recruit-able Pokemon. The gameOverall, a pretty good game, maybe NOT the BEST Mystery Dungeon game (I preferred Explores of Sky/ Time/ Darkness) but it offered a lot of gameplay that was new and welcome to the series. Graphically, the game looks very nice, with polished Pokemon. the game is very text heavy, there is a lot of talking between gameplay, and the only other flaw is the lack of recruit-able Pokemon. The game itself is very fun and is a good addition to the series Expand
  3. Apr 24, 2013
    It was okay at best, but it was lacking in a few places. It really needed more starters and more playable pokemon, also why were bosses not playable?? Lastly, why did they not include the quiz thing to choose what kind of pokemon u r, i missed that! Not nearly as good as the other 2 mystery dungeons
  4. Apr 14, 2013
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity is a Nintendo 3DS sequel to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky on the Nintendo DS. Is this game superior to its sequel? Well, Its hard to say. The positive changes that greatly improve this sequel are just as numerous as the negative changes that make the game worse than the prequels prior to this entry in this spin-offPokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity is a Nintendo 3DS sequel to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky on the Nintendo DS. Is this game superior to its sequel? Well, Its hard to say. The positive changes that greatly improve this sequel are just as numerous as the negative changes that make the game worse than the prequels prior to this entry in this spin-off series.

First off, lets start with the negatives. Pokemon is a series which is based around collecting as much monsters as possible, with there being well over 600 different kinds as of now, it seems like a poor choice to limit the amount of Pokemon in the game to less than 150. I understand however that making 3D models and animations for each model for all the Pokemon that exist as of now and the environments would take quite a bit of time and eat a large amount of space on the game card so I understand why the Pokemon list is as limited as it is, but it leads me to question why they strayed away from sprites which take up far less memory in comparison. Another problem is the story. No, not the writing itself, but the length of it overall. Gates to Infinity is about a quarter of the length of the prequel trio Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, further proving my point of shortness, the post-story scenario consists of only one dungeon, which is less than 15 floors in length, when compared to the lengthy post-story scenario at the end of Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky it feels extremely disappointing. I'd assume that the 3D models taking up too much space also explains the lack of length in the story and post-story. Something else that is bothersome about this game is how slow it is, for example: this game is text heavy, yet there is no options to speed text up, I assume this is to make people pay more attention to the story, but it gets irritating that the slow moving text can make some cutscenes last up to nearly 20 minutes or longer when it could have been done in 5 minutes with faster text scrolling. Another example of slowness is only being able to do one mission at a time, in prequels you could do multiple missions if they where all in the same dungeon, not in this sequel, this makes progressing in the game slower and more tedious. If you are the person who enjoys challenging games, you will be disappointed to learn that hunger, monster houses and other game mechanics that made the game harder are limited or altered greatly to make this game much easier to appeal to a more younger/casual market. Last but not least in regards to negatives, dungeon rescues are done by Streetpass only, they can no longer be done through passwords or Wifi services, so if you live in low populated areas and/or areas where Pokemon isn't very popular, don't expect to be rescued.

With the negatives out of the way, lets take a look at the positive aspects of the game. The story is greatly written (despite being extremely short) and most of the characters you meet over the course of the plot are strongly developed making the story quite engaging, though you could make the argument that the side characters can be overdeveloped and hog the spotlight. The story barely even focuses on you (the main character) at all until near the end of the story which is an odd design choice but not a major issue. The music is beautiful like usual and is a treat to listen to. An interesting new feature is the ability to design a village around your house named "Paradise" where you can visit Pokemon you have recruited that are not in use in a party and build facilities like lottery centers, stores, gardens, dojos and mini-game booths among other things with the ability to upgrade and customize them in different ways. Another feature is that you now have two parties, one which is the "story" party that contains your starter, partner and two others, that have full access to everything but wireless multiplayer. The "Companion" party on the other hand consists of any four Pokemon that you have recruited and can be used in wireless multiplayer missions or single player missions but can't access the Town or any events or locations that effect the story. Most of the game mechanics are modified (for better or worse is for you to decide) that makes the game in certain aspects much more simplistic and easier to understand (but at the cost of much lower difficulty). Some of the game mechanic changes include: Instead of Move-Linking combos, you can now Level Up individual attacks to give higher Power, PP and Accuracy. Instead of character specific IQ Abilities, you now have Team Skills that affect the entire party. Another interesting addition is you even get a Team Attack skill that works similarly to a "Team Blast" from Sonic Heroes or "Final Smash" from Smash Bros. that can be used in a bad situation to save yourself. There is also DLC content.

In conclusion, in my opinion its not as good as Explorers of Sky, but that isn't to say its bad game, its an average game overall.
  5. Apr 8, 2013
    PMD: Gates to Infinity is kind of a mixed bag. On one side, the graphics are actually very nice; the scenery is engaging and the pokemon themselves are charmingly handled as well. The magnegate idea to generate new dungeons is a nice touch, and there are tons and tons of items to play with.
    On the other side of things, the aforementioned magnegate is impossible to properly utilize because of how weak the actual mystery dungeon aspect is. The dungeons are randomly generated, but obviously cobbled together from pre-determined chunks, and you'll become all too familiar with them after playing each map a couple of times. The low degree of randomization means that its far too easy to prepare for every eventuality with just a few items, because there's only a few that may challenge you (and the game openly tells you how to deal with them). Though the plot is well-writen and charming enough, the dialogue is miserable even for the standard of a younger audience. I think it can be best summed up with the phrase "you can't just have characters say what they're feeling; that makes me feel angry."

In spite of its flaws, it is wickedly addicting. Recommend to pokemaniacs, or as an introduction into dungeon crawls, but not many others.
  6. Mar 24, 2013
    I have not finished the game but what I have played it is definitely the best in the series and the story is very well written, even though it's targeted towards children it does well capturing your attention. Graphics-wise, it's one of the best 3ds games I've seen and looks great. The only thing unchanged is the actual combat, its pretty much what you are used to and nintendo got rid of aI have not finished the game but what I have played it is definitely the best in the series and the story is very well written, even though it's targeted towards children it does well capturing your attention. Graphics-wise, it's one of the best 3ds games I've seen and looks great. The only thing unchanged is the actual combat, its pretty much what you are used to and nintendo got rid of a couple of pointless features from the past mystery dungeon games. There isn't much of a challenge to the game and the dungeons are very alike but the pro's make up for the con's and if you're a pokemon fan yous should enjoy this game. Expand
  7. Mar 27, 2013
    Being a game targeted to a young audience Nintendo should have put on the brakes on having to pay for extra content. This only proves that going digital will be a curse on gamers young and old alike cause publishers like Activision will take advantage.
  8. Dec 21, 2013
    Okay so this is my first pokemon mystery dungeon game i ever played and for the first game i played i thought it was pretty good not the best but certainty not the worst just in between.

the good the music is amazing! and the graphics look amazing it looks like something you could watch on tv! the bad theres 2 major problems i have with this game, these two could potentially ruin

the good

the bad
    theres 2 major problems i have with this game, these two could potentially ruin the game for anybody, 1 the dungeons. its cool that there randomly generated and all but every dungeon is the SAME!!!! every dungeon i have been in so far just consisted of corridors that lead me back to were i started or a place i have been theres nothing worth exploring these dungeons for! every corridor either leads you back were just was or they lead to empty rooms with nothing! its a complete waste of time!!!! i mean come on reward the player for exploring these dungeons! other wise all thats in these dungeons are enemies some items on the floor and a few stairs THATS IT!!!! its not fun!
    2. THE DIALOGUE!! characters talk for too long!!! SHUT UP ALREADY!!! it has tons and tons of unnecessary dialouge like if a character tells you to do something theirs a long dialogue scene and after you get the chance to move and go get the item you get stopped by another character right before you go to the dungeon!!! everybody talks too much they never shut up at one point i almost just quite the game because of this bottom line get your story across without boring the player out of his mind!

like i said its not the worst game i ever played, at times its actually quite fun but the two problems i listed is quite possibly game ruining things if your going to buy this prepare for long annoying and pointless dungeons and long and stupid dialogue scenes. also i forgot to mention the AI is pretty dumb at times and the dungeons will spawn a wonder pad i one room only to have another right in the next room beside it. its not the worst but not the best its okay. would i recommend buying it no i would rent it at least too bad the only thing you will get to see in the game is the dialogue before you return it.
  9. Aug 26, 2013
    Graphics and presentation were nice, but I couldn't help but feel the overall experience was a bit bare bones even compared to other mystery dungeon games. The overall impression the game left on me after a few hours was decidingly childish I'm sorry to say. I haven't finished the game yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I was not overly impressed with the game as a whole.
  10. Jun 22, 2013
    Besides Text speed, the game is not that bad, and a decent simple battle style and nice mazes keep this for a good game. Buy it if you're a pokemon fan, soft rpg fan, or fans of cute pokemons and slow reading speeds. Don't buy this if you're looking for a hardcore deep rpg like Fire Emblem Awakening or Etrian Odyssey IV. The game has cute music and an average storyline..you know theBesides Text speed, the game is not that bad, and a decent simple battle style and nice mazes keep this for a good game. Buy it if you're a pokemon fan, soft rpg fan, or fans of cute pokemons and slow reading speeds. Don't buy this if you're looking for a hardcore deep rpg like Fire Emblem Awakening or Etrian Odyssey IV. The game has cute music and an average storyline..you know the recommendations, go for your taste!

Gameplay: 7/10
    Story: 7/10
    Music: 8.5/10
    Presentation: 6.5/10
    Length: 8/10
    Overall: 7/10
  11. Apr 23, 2013
    I have to say, I was rather looking forward to this game when it was first being talked about. However, while there are some things that this game does better than its predecessors, there are a greater number of things that make it a worse game than the Explorers series.

First the Pros: ~No more quizes to determine who you play as. Now you can just pick who you want out of the

First the Pros:
    ~No more quizes to determine who you play as. Now you can just pick who you want out of the starters.
    ~Beautiful Graphics
    ~Good storyline
    ~The ability to improve on your attacks in power, accuracy and PP based on usage and training
    ~TMs are reusable
    ~You can build your Paradise
    ~The ability to 'pause' the main story and play as a team made up of Pokemon that are not on your main team
    ~All members of your Team (not just the four that make up your party) level up so that no Pokemon is left weak

And now for the cons:
    ~Only 144 Pokemon that can join your Team, and the vast bulk of those are Gen V
    ~Only 5 Choosable Pokemon to pick as yourself and your partner
    ~All starting Pokemon (You and your partner) are all male. You are unable to choose your own gender or that or your partner
    ~Boss AI is not all that bright (though for some that could be a good thing)
    ~Not much after story following the main storyline
    ~Main storyline is rather short (Beat it in less than 20 hours)
    ~You have to pay for new dungeons via DLC, about $2 per new dungeon
    ~So far, there seems to be a vast lack of evolution items. Also, while your other party members are able to evolve, you and your partner cannot until after the main story, and no logical reason or explanation is given.

All in all, if you're looking for a quality PMD game, I highly recommend PMD: Explorers of Sky. This game is fun, don't get me wrong, but for long-time fans of the series, this latest game is a letdown. However, those who have never played a PMD game will find this enjoyable and a good way to get into the series.
  12. Jun 5, 2013
    This game does get repetitive and the dialog sequences can't be skipped unless you count hold the B buttton. Its the same as any other mystery dungeon game and add a few new ideas. I bought for 30$ so im pretty satisfied with my purchase. I still have not been able too finish it because I got too bored after playing all those levels over and over.
  13. Aug 17, 2013
    Although the game felt like downgrade from the previous installments. The Story-line was full of interesting plot twists, the graphics were excellent, and any fan of the series will enjoy the game.
  14. Oct 1, 2013
    Very great storyline, and very interesting characters! The area looks much more real, especially when you compare it to the older versions of the Mystery Dungeon series. The art is very well done, but like many others, I have a complaint about the text speed. The text speed goes so slowly, that you don't even want to read the text, just pressing the A button just to finish it.

The game

The game has a very tragic "ending", which actually put me in a very sad mood for a few hours, but later it becomes happier near the end. As far as the complexity of the game goes, this is actually a very simple game, and isn't hard at all.

After the complete plot finishes, the game is BORING. The game length is about 24 hours for the main plot, based on my gametime. But after everything ends, there's really no more goal, like pretty much every other game. All you do is just do requests, level up and expand your paradise. If you're a really dedicated person to completing things, this is the game for you, but for more mature gamers like me, this game gets boring, and without a plot and change in any part of the NPCs, this game is even more boring. Repetition of the dungeons is extremely boring, and when you face the same idea multiple times, such as defeating an opponent or something similar, you will feel bored as well. The game, like I said before, is very simple, so after the plot, when your Pokemon is strong, you don't see enemy Pokemon as a challenge, you see them as an annoying obstacle. For some reason, after the plot, you would feel inclined to play the game, hoping for something to happen, but nothing will, and you will have to repeat pretty much the same thing over and over again, with decreasing difficulty as your character grows in level.

While on the other hand, during the time which you will play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, it is really fun. I myself got very hooked to the game, and 4 days later with 24 hours of actual gameplay, I finished the game. The plot is very interesting, but in my opinion, is too short. Considering this game is for the younger audience, this game will be more complex and the plot will be "longer" for the younger audience. If you're a real teary person, the ending will get you bawling, yes, I mean bawling. It's the inevitability of the entire situation, and the fact you are defenseless to stop it makes you feel weird, anxious in some sort of way, although it is a game, and not true reality, but the fantasy that I, and many other people do is that Pokemon are real, and you are sad that your "time" in the Pokemon world has now ended.
  15. Nov 28, 2013
    None of the PMD games were good, this being no exception.

None of the PMD games were good, this being no exception.

I just have to say that the story is absolutely ridiculous, overly long, and boring. During the few moments when I actually felt an interest in the plot, it's ruined within the minute by some ridiculous plot twist or extremely silly dialogue. The character dialogue stretches for painful hours, and there's no way to skip it. It doesn't help that the script is just pathetic, either. On the other hand, the visuals look quite nice, though the battle animations are lame and dungeon design is very much the same for all of them.

Pretty much the only part of the story I thought was cool was the beginning--up until the end of the demo. I thought the game looked rather promising after I finished the demo, but I was very wrong...

Sound is nothing special (the music does not appeal to me at all...), gameplay mechanics are not great, and the oh-so-painful dialogue scenes filled with ridiculous conversations and repetition and repetition and repetition. There's virtually nothing interesting to do after the main story, and I wouldn't be surprised to see people give up on the game before clearing it (due to the text speed).

Overall, not very good; only the nice 3D Pokemon models keeps this game from falling below mediocrity.

PRESENTATION: 5.5/10
    CORE GAME: 5/10
    VISUALS: 7/10
    AUDIO: 6/10
    GAMEPLAY: 5/10
    LASTING APPEAL: 4/10
  16. Jul 16, 2014
    This instalment to the series is a lot like the predecessors, You're sent into the Pokémon world to save it from disaster alongside a partner Pokémon.

Although the visuals were great, and the story pulls you in to feel a part of it, there is a limited amount of choices you get throughout. You're only able to pick from five Pokémon to play as, and your partner will be one of the remaining four. (You also cannot pick the gender.) There is also only 144 Pokémon you can recruit to join your rescue team. The story was quite quick to play through and comes to a very abrupt ending where the only things you can do after completion is edit your 'Paradise,' (Your rescue team's base.) and complete missions from the bulletin boards.

Despite all the points mentioned above, I did thoroughly enjoy it and found it hard to put down. The story and skill level does seem a bit more watered down for a younger audience but it still provides some boss battles that were difficult. There is a new 'Companion mode' where you can play as a member of your rescue team on the side of the main story. This is a nice feature but also means if you're ever stuck on a boss or in a dungeon check point you can easily resolve it by using this feature as all retrieved items are sent to the deposit box for your main team to use.

It is great if you enjoy the previous Mystery Dungeon games, but if you are expecting a massive change or differences then you will be disappointed.
  17. Oct 5, 2014
    Standing alone, this is a wonderful game. Viewing it by itself I would have to give it a wonderful review, 8-10 range. But it is not its own game. This is a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, one of the greatest sub-series to be. With reasonably high expectations I went out and bought this game on release date. From the start I felt a little uneasy with some of the changes, such as basicStanding alone, this is a wonderful game. Viewing it by itself I would have to give it a wonderful review, 8-10 range. But it is not its own game. This is a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, one of the greatest sub-series to be. With reasonably high expectations I went out and bought this game on release date. From the start I felt a little uneasy with some of the changes, such as basic attacks only dealing one damage rather than scaling with level, but I assumed that I would get over this. After playing for a while I did, but there were still a few things throwing me off. The plot of the game hadn't twisted or upset me, in any way, which is one of the most memorable things about the series. Then it hit me. The end. After this is when the other games got even more exciting, after the official end you could go out and recruit legendaries, find hidden things, Pokemon you didn't even expect! But not with this one. There is practically no reason to play after you have beaten the game. There are a few legendary fights, but even with those you cannot recruit them. It feels like Nintendo wasn't even trying when they made this game. The only reason this is getting anything higher than a one is because it would actually be a decent game if not for its predecessors and lack of content. Expand
  18. Jul 5, 2013
    I love the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. so when this title was announced, I was stoked. And when I got it, I played the best game in the Mystery Dungeon series, and even Pokémon overall. The story of the game is pretty lighthearted, and may have been aimed for kids, but I still found it enjoyable. this game's ending was also one of the few times where I cried at the ending. the gameplayI love the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. so when this title was announced, I was stoked. And when I got it, I played the best game in the Mystery Dungeon series, and even Pokémon overall. The story of the game is pretty lighthearted, and may have been aimed for kids, but I still found it enjoyable. this game's ending was also one of the few times where I cried at the ending. the gameplay is the same, but adds some new things to make gameplay faster. for example, instead of scrolling through menus to use moves, you can now just hold down the right trigger and press A,B,X,Y to use that respective move. it's tweaks to the gameplay like these that make the game much better. the graphics are really nice. they may just be my favorite graphics on any game. The music is really great. I found myself humming these tunes, and while some tracks are forgettable, I find this to be one of my favorite game soundtracks. but what I found to be the game's best part was, surprisingly, character development. I found myself caring for these characters, and was happy when they were, or sad when they were. I don't think I've cared much for characters like these since the Walking Dead: the game, and that's saying A LOT. Overall, Gates to Infinity is a worthy title to the 3DS library. the plot may be lighthearted, but the gameplay, while simple, is great, and combined with great music and character development, this makes it my personal favorite Pokémon title, and one you should definitely check out. Collapse

1. Sep 16, 2013
    Building the paradise up is so motivating, that you beat the dungeons over and over again, even though they are repetitive.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    Unless you must play every Pokemon title you’re probably better off simply waiting for the release of X and Y later in the year.
  3. Jun 9, 2013
    If you like to read your way through a game this is something for you. If you don't this could be an agonising adventure. It is a cute game to keep you busy till Pokémon X and Y come into view.