8.7

1. Oct 16, 2013
    I'm writing this AFTER I beat the game so for those who have not beat it please vote after you finish E4 and see if you agree.
    I will save my compliments as I know it's a great game but the major flaw is that it lacks replay value, after you beat E4, there's literally nothing to do that's sparks people as OOOO this is fun.
    Let's take a look at Soul Silver and Heart Gold, after you

Let's take a look at Soul Silver and Heart Gold, after you beat the game, you get to explore Kanto, the game opens up a whole new world, all the gym now offers toughened up rematchs, all the variety of legendary you can catch from previous generations. X and Y has nothing

Another flaw is that the Kalos Pokemon doesn't stand out, the game throws in pokemon from previous generation from the beginning and natually people will capture ones the recognize, take a look at black and white, they give you pokemon from previous gen at a much later time this forces players to use and familiarize pokemon from this generation, I have found myself a party full of pokemon from previous generations because why risk it when I know what pokemon works?

and then there's the starters, if you count the Torchic giving to you by gift, they give you 4 starters, that's ABSURD, it completely devalues your starter pokemon.

There are flaws that keep me from spending more than 20 hours on it when each game previously would take me 100 hours each, great game, but needs work
  2. Jan 10, 2014
    When I started the game, I thought it was great. A very refreshing installation to the series I love so much. After playing about 30 hours of it I noticed that I hadn't once been impressed or entertained as much as older instalments have. Sort of a disappointment if you ask me. But maybe I'll change my mind once I restart and play again without using the EXP share, which I think kind ofWhen I started the game, I thought it was great. A very refreshing installation to the series I love so much. After playing about 30 hours of it I noticed that I hadn't once been impressed or entertained as much as older instalments have. Sort of a disappointment if you ask me. But maybe I'll change my mind once I restart and play again without using the EXP share, which I think kind of broke the game, since you only need to use one Pokemon and everyone get's trained enough to beat gym after gym easily. Expand
  3. Dec 3, 2013
    The story is poorly written, though I suppose that's to be expected in a pokemon game. Having beat the game, the post-game is almost non-existent. That's a huge shame, because they took out the scaling-EXP system from Gen5, and combined with the "EXP All" the game just becomes too easy; you'll quickly out level the opponents and then have nothing left to do.

On the good side: The

On the good side: The battles look pretty great, which is nice I guess. You can find more pokemon within the game, and the friend safari lets you get potentially all the non-legendary pokemon on your own, which is cool. The pokemon breeding mechanics have been updated again, allowing you to very easily get a pokemon with maxed out stats, if you care about those last few stat points.

Overall, there's a lot of wasted potential here, and I don't think the game has staying power. In a few generations we'll care about as much about X/Y as we do about Diamond/Pearl. Perhaps the "Z" game later on will fix these issues.
  4. Jan 3, 2015
    I love Pokémon and I always will but this game was not worth the money. I stayed up until midnight to download this game and I expected a great game filled with 3D graphics, a good story, great characters, and good Pokémon, but I was sadly wrong. First lets take a look at the Pokémon. The average number of Pokémon released in each game is 130 and with the previous games, Pokémon Black andI love Pokémon and I always will but this game was not worth the money. I stayed up until midnight to download this game and I expected a great game filled with 3D graphics, a good story, great characters, and good Pokémon, but I was sadly wrong. First lets take a look at the Pokémon. The average number of Pokémon released in each game is 130 and with the previous games, Pokémon Black and White, introducing a whopping 156 Pokémon, these games must have just as many right? Nope, Pokémon X and Y have 69. How many of these are "good"? Maybe 20. People complain about Pokémon Black and White having an ice-cream Pokémon and a garbage Pokémon but their designs are cool enough with the trash Pokémon becoming a giant trash monster and the ice cream one having a cool double head cone with two faces but nobody complains about the new cotton candy Pokémon? He's literally a floating piece of cotton candy with a face but unlike the previously mentioned Pokémon this one doesn't evolve into anything cool. Instead we get a fat walking cotton candy. Come on. Also many of the Pokémon are bland and are basically carbon copies of other ones. Next, lets talk about the world. The colors are dull and the region is very straightforward and is very long and boring (cough...parfum palace...cough) and there are huge gaps in between important events. The graphics may be 3D but the world is very, very, dull. The cities are also not memorable and are just a waste of time. My next point is the characters. Oh how I hate to talk about them. We have a generic professor, Trevor and Tierno, two lifeless boring characters, and your rival Serena or Calem. Serena and Calem are definitely two of the most boring characters ever to be in a video game. They are both very bland and have nothing about them and appear at random times. Next is the story. It sucked. Basically some random guy who acts like he isn't evil but obviously is wants to create an invention to make a more beautiful world. Think about that. All of his team looks cool but the honestly do nothing. Also the champion is a character who you meat a couple times who has no personality and by the time you find out she's the champion, you really don't care. Also in Pokémon Black and White, at the end of the game right when you're surrounded by a group of bad guy all the gym leaders heroically come all the way over to you just to help. In Pokémon X most of the gym leaders don't leave the gym. Also with the game is obviously directed at people who started on the first Pokémon games or people who just started playing them. If you're like me or 60% of all Pokémon fans you aren't one of them. A new feature is that some Pokémon get a special Mega Evolution which is a huge power boost, but instead of giving them to the weak Pokémon, they give them to overpowered or fan favorite Pokémon. I mean does charizard or mewtwo really need TWO mega evolutions? Come on now! Also, the music is HORRIBLE. The previous games had catchy tunes you'll love listening too, especially Pokémon Platinum, but this music will make you either turn off sound or fall asleep, not like a lullaby like Nacrene City music, but like so boring you'd rather go to sleep than listen to it. Next up is the aftergame. After you beat the main story, which is very easy with the EXP share, you unlock a new town with a few little feature. This town has the friend safari, which is just another gimmicky grass patch and the horrendously boring Battle Maison which is just a bunch of boring battles. But wait! There's more! In Lumiose City, the gigantic city that is impossible to navigate, an old character named Looker informs you to help you out on a series of spy missions! Soundd fun, right! Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed it! It was nice and fun but there was one problem. It was too short. After that there's nothing important to do. Wow. Overall I love the Pokémon series but this was an abomination of a game and I was definitely disappointed. Expand

1. 3D Visuals transformed the classic Pokemon approach in a good way. Online capabilities are top notch, this new generation will really make Pokemon fans happy.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Even if Pokémon X & Y has graphics in 3D and several other gameplay innovations it is still the same core experience as before. Focus is as always on catching them all and it is still an addictive experience. The difficulty bar is lower than before, the online functions more present and the gameplay mechanics better realised.
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    For the first time in a long time, Pokémon has taken a real step towards pushing the series forward.