8.8

1. Oct 16, 2013
    I'm writing this AFTER I beat the game so for those who have not beat it please vote after you finish E4 and see if you agree.
    I will save my compliments as I know it's a great game but the major flaw is that it lacks replay value, after you beat E4, there's literally nothing to do that's sparks people as OOOO this is fun.

Let's take a look at Soul Silver and Heart Gold, after you
    beat the game, you get to explore Kanto, the game opens up a whole new world, all the gym now offers toughened up rematchs, all the variety of legendary you can catch from previous generations. X and Y has nothing

Another flaw is that the Kalos Pokemon doesn't stand out, the game throws in pokemon from previous generation from the beginning and natually people will capture ones the recognize, take a look at black and white, they give you pokemon from previous gen at a much later time this forces players to use and familiarize pokemon from this generation, I have found myself a party full of pokemon from previous generations because why risk it when I know what pokemon works?

and then there's the starters, if you count the Torchic giving to you by gift, they give you 4 starters, that's ABSURD, it completely devalues your starter pokemon.

There are flaws that keep me from spending more than 20 hours on it when each game previously would take me 100 hours each, great game, but needs work
  2. Jan 10, 2014
    When I started the game, I thought it was great. A very refreshing installation to the series I love so much. After playing about 30 hours of it I noticed that I hadn't once been impressed or entertained as much as older instalments have. Sort of a disappointment if you ask me. But maybe I'll change my mind once I restart and play again without using the EXP share, which I think kind of broke the game, since you only need to use one Pokemon and everyone get's trained enough to beat gym after gym easily. Expand
  3. Dec 3, 2013
    The story is poorly written, though I suppose that's to be expected in a pokemon game. Having beat the game, the post-game is almost non-existent. That's a huge shame, because they took out the scaling-EXP system from Gen5, and combined with the "EXP All" the game just becomes too easy; you'll quickly out level the opponents and then have nothing left to do.

On the good side: The
    battles look pretty great, which is nice I guess. You can find more pokemon within the game, and the friend safari lets you get potentially all the non-legendary pokemon on your own, which is cool. The pokemon breeding mechanics have been updated again, allowing you to very easily get a pokemon with maxed out stats, if you care about those last few stat points.

Overall, there's a lot of wasted potential here, and I don't think the game has staying power. In a few generations we'll care about as much about X/Y as we do about Diamond/Pearl. Perhaps the "Z" game later on will fix these issues.

1. 3D Visuals transformed the classic Pokemon approach in a good way. Online capabilities are top notch, this new generation will really make Pokemon fans happy.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Even if Pokémon X & Y has graphics in 3D and several other gameplay innovations it is still the same core experience as before. Focus is as always on catching them all and it is still an addictive experience. The difficulty bar is lower than before, the online functions more present and the gameplay mechanics better realised.
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    For the first time in a long time, Pokémon has taken a real step towards pushing the series forward.