8.2

1. Sep 28, 2014
    Some of the puzzles on this game were quite interesting, but however I just didn't feel it. I got bored of the game almost TOO quickly, but it was a simple puzzle game, what else was I expecting?
    Bit of a disappointment to be honest.
  2. Sep 11, 2014
    The game doesn't let you save all the time and if you mess up a puzzle you will get less points. If you want to complete it 100% you sometimes have to cheat cause your save is so far away, hope you forget the puzzle and try it again later, when you can enjoy it without the fear of losing points. If there were no points to pressure me it would be a lot better. Also there is one puzzle you can mess 15times and then it'll let you trough out of pity without ever hinting anything first. Expand
  3. Jul 15, 2014
    Overall, Miracle Mask is another charming addition to the Layton series. The music is spectacular and the puzzles, as usual, mind-bending. It's safe to say that the transition to 3DS has, if anything, made the Professor Layton experience a little more special. The scenery is stunning, and exploration is made even easier with the addition of magnifying glass tool.
    However, when put up
    against its predecessors, I have to say the story was a little slow-paced and too predictable for my liking. If you've never liked Professor Layton, then this game definitely will not change your mind, as its core principles remain unchanged. Also, If you've never played a Layton game before, I would say do not make this your first, as its narrative has nothing on those of the original 3 games! Expand
  4. May 13, 2014
    The game is stylus intense game and boring for me. The story is dramatic and full if puzzle games ,if you want to experience a good story , go and watch some epic anime.....This is my personal opinion , the game is not worthy for its price , its design seem to be like an erotic game........Really not my favorite game at all time , I might think brain age is much better than this game (for brain challenging). Great music of course , but the story cannot engage me to play until the end of game , I have to tire myself to finish the game for writing the review.
    CONCLUSION IS:
    -Dramatic but not engaging story
    -Great music and puzzles but totally not suitable for those lazy to do the puzzles
    -Stylus intense game might damage your screen protector (based on your using style)
    -3.5 star sound cast for me....
    -A lot of contents but not my cup of tea
    -The game is not flexible
    -Some anime could provide a much better story than this game.....other than the story , the puzzles is boring to me, if the main story cannot attract you (puzzles too) than it may be a great waste.....
    -So, i would not recommend this game for someone who never play the series before
  5. Feb 7, 2014
    A charming, wholly enjoyable game from start to finish, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask is a great instalment in the puzzle/mystery series with a very good storyline spanning decades. It’s a must for puzzle fans.

The game is utterly charming, with characters full of personality. There is so much to utterly love about Professor Layton as it has a whole range of eccentric
    characters. The game is driven by a very good storyline with a very clever twist at the end which leaves you feeling fully satisfied. All the cutscenes work out well, although an important point is that Miracle Mask is actually better played in 2D. The cutscenes’ 3D hasn’t been worked out well so it looks all wrong, and 3D never enhances gameplay. The puzzles don’t make use of 3D either, which is disappointing- there is lots of potential for some clever challenges here in that form. What’s more dismaying is how the game generally feels like it could be played on a DS without losing anything. It doesn’t make use of the new technological enhancements of the 3DS. As mentioned, it’s actually better in 2D because of the cutscenes.

However, that is little problem for a puzzle game, especially one whose puzzles are so startlingly clever. It’s amazing to think they- and there are hundreds of them when including the ones you can download- were all designed by one man, even more so as it doesn’t even show. They all have a separate kind of idea, and almost every one is creative in how it is designed. Most of them are real head-scratchers, leaving me challenged for a pretty long time before I find the answer. I said almost all of them were good because not all of them are- there are some which were clearly designed with an original idea in mind, but in practice, it was practically guesswork to find the solution. These bad puzzles are few and far between though and Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask will leave you fully satisfied. It has a wonderful story, and the sheer amount of clever puzzles you can download will keep me entertained for months on end, as I haven’t even scratched the surface yet. Gaming’s most gentlemanly hero has scored a great 3DS title.
  6. Jan 31, 2014
    another great layton game. the new 3d graphics are great and story is still full of awesome twists and characters. theres a part of the game where the gameplay changes to a dungeon crawler for a little bit and that was a nice way of changing up the gameplay for a little bit. my only problem with this game is that the puzzles can get WAY too hard at times
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    Bought a 2DS for the Layton series. This is a great game. Though some mechanics have changed on the 3DS. The core principle is the same: great storytelling and atmosphere unfolds when puzzling your way through several mysteries. There is a lot of puzzling to be done! The music and voice acting are great. One thing however, is that after so many Layton games the puzzles can become repetitive. That does not take away that the Layton series is one of the best handheld franchises ever made.

Be ready to sink in a lot of hours in this one. Especially if you want to complete all the daily puzzles!
  8. Oct 15, 2013
    This is an amazing game! Brilliant story, brilliant puzzles, brilliant music and I was a bit uncertain of the 3D graphics before I played it, but I now think that they work really well. The Professor Layton series is my favorite DS/3DS series and Miracle Mask is the best game in that series. I honestly can not think of any problems I had with it (or am having, because of the daily puzzles) and I am really envious of Japan as it has set up for the next game brilliantly. Expand
  9. Jul 13, 2013
    I stay play Miracle Mask daily as I am downloading and completing the daily puzzle. Great story as usual, great visuals and music, enjoyable puzzles. Strange to see Layton semi-3D for the first time but he looked great! Can't wait for the next.
  10. Mar 14, 2013
    Over all of my DS-playing years, I kept meaning to try a Professor Layton game, but never got to it. This first instalment on the 3DS, my first go at the series, was a veritable eye-opening experience. And get this, my enjoyment came less from the puzzles and brain teasers than from the truly impressive, Tintin-like storyline. Yes, you'll have to excuse some cartoonish exaggerations, but in the end I was amazed at the quality of the writing, always guiding you through Layton's current troubles and flashback scenes with masterful expertise. It's rare that a game gets you this invested in its characters, getting you to veritably feel their sadness, their nervousness, their redemption. When the inevitable "moment of truth" came down, I couldn't help but get goosebumps.

But yeah, about the puzzles: don't worry, they're also super-fun and very clever. Out of the 130+ puzzle sequences in the main game, only half a dozen will fall flat as not making much sense, and the rest will get you wanting more. A lot of them are even entirely relevant to the storyline, and this helps the game feel cohesive as a whole.

After hours and hours of devouring this game, I get to say what I wish I could say every time I jump late into a bandwagon: I'm gonna hunt down the early games and start my Layton experience from scratch.
  11. Mar 8, 2013
    Probably the best layton game so far. The puzzles are fun as always but the real thing here is the plot: the story is so mesmerizing and emotional, you won't want to put it down. Plus the 365 daily puzzles and the mini games. you are really in for a treat, trust me.
  12. Feb 18, 2013
    I like this Professor Layton sequel very much! There are around 150 puzzles to solve in the game itself, but with the download-option, you can also download more puzzles! Other than the other Professor Layton series, the graphics are 3D and 2D.
  13. Jan 24, 2013
    the professor Layton series does it again, another amazing game. fantastic story, good graphics (full 3d) i cant see any flaws with this game, i was skeptic at first, but in the end, this game was amazing. besides the earlier game the unwound future, this is my favorite ds game
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    This game is very good. The storyline, as always, never fails to impress, although shorter than the others. The puzzles are sometimes quite challenging, the game play is also different in some parts, like an RPG style. Another thing that gives the 9.3 rating is the daily puzzles for a year. That is about it, only minor things make it lose the 7%
  15. Nov 24, 2012
    You'll never get tired of playing puzzles everyday with this puzzle game! It's like a big collection of puzzle for 40 dollars. And if it's not enough, you can download a puzzle everyday for a year! However, there's only 20 different kinds of these puzzles. But they will be a easy one and a tough one! It depends on the difficulty bar. One colored bar means it's really easy, and five colored bars means it's really hard. There are also bonus features like every other Professor Layton games. You will also hear a story from Layton form the past. It's really fun and you should try it. Get your puzzles on today! Expand
  16. Nov 18, 2012
    Splendid 3D visuals, music, story and puzzles! The transition of two different yet relating stories was executed almost perfectly. It is obvious that a lot of thought was put into this game. Obviously if you are not a fan of Professor Layton's puzzle formula, you should not be playing this game at all. This game is a true favourite to a genuine puzzle lover, and much enjoyed by practically anyone!
  17. Nov 16, 2012
    CRUMPETS AND TEA ANYONE?!?! You play as a jolly old bloke in this game and wear a hat....you are also a professor and the art design of your face is severely lacking.
  18. Nov 14, 2012
    While Lost Future still contains my favourite story, Miracle Mask definitely has the best gameplay in a Layton game to date. I go to explore these underground ruins, expecting it to be a series of doors locked by puzzles, and the game actually turns into a dungeon crawler, while still maintaining the Layton style of using your brain to get through. The game's villain escapes being pursued by Layton and co on horseback, and you actually get to control this section and give chase. The new 3D puzzles are all excellent uses of what the 3DS can do. The story is incredibly interesting, miles better than Spector's call, (which is an achievement) telling the story of how Layton lost his best friend in the past, and at the same time showing us this beautiful city being under constant attacks by the "masked gentleman" and his "miracles". Seeing the two timelines intersect made for some really good storytelling. I'd definitely recommend this. Expand
  19. Nov 11, 2012
    I was a bit worried when Level-5 said they were bringing the Professor Layton series to the 3DS, because I wasn't sure how well the 3D would be utilized for a typically beautiful 2D game. Well despite my worries, Level-5 manages to create an experience that wouldn't be the same on the standard Nintendo DS. The use of 3D models, though a bit odd at first, really works nicely with the art style. Even the cutscenes (which are typically in their standard 2D format) pop out and really add a sense of depth with the 3D slider on. The music is beautiful, and like always, really adds a feel to each area you encounter. There isn't much that has changed about the gameplay from the previous entries in the series, you go around solving puzzles in order to uncover a huge mystery. It will feel really familiar to veterans of the series. Also, don't go in expecting much to change with the gameplay, because it hasn't. There are a few minigames of sorts that use the touch screen, but are rare and nothing spectacular. The real appeal to this game is the fact that fans will get a deeper look into Layton's history. The game switches between the present day problem, and a series of events that occurred 18 years prior. The flow was never really an issue, except I wasn't a huge fan of Chapter 6. I won't spoil anything about it, other than it sort of breaks up the flow of the game, in my opinion. Other than that, the story is wonderfully told, and the ending will have you begging to play the last entry. Outside of the main game, you have the minigames that are in your trunk, and though I never got particularly into them, they do add some more gameplay. Also, as in previous games, there are outside puzzles that you can unlock after you complete the game. Plus, Nintendo is releasing puzzles every day for a whole year. This adds up to enough gameplay to make this game well worth your money. Now, an issue I could see with the game is that it doesn't do a great job explaining what happened previously (which could be good, if you want to play the others in the franchise) making it difficult for new players to fully appreciate Layton and Luke. However, all in all, this game is an excellent addition to your 3DS collection, and a must play for any Professor Layton fan. 9/10 Collapse
  20. Nov 3, 2012
    Great Music, Puzzles and Story, so anybody who enjoys this kind of game will have a top-notch dose of entertainment.
    Returning fans can expect more of the same, shaken up by a whole new top-down puzzle section that involves evading mummies and boulder puzzles.
    The Story is a tease, even though it's technically finished in itself it sets up the last game perfectly.
  21. Oct 28, 2012
    Fantastic! This whole series is the best of the Nintendo DS! I recommend this game to everyone. You won't regret this purchase even if you haven't played any of the other 4 in the series before this one. The puzzles are the best in the business. Plus, as a bonus you get one puzzle download a day for the next 365 days! 150 + 365 = 515 puzzles total by October 28, 2013! A+ 10/10.
  22. Nov 11, 2012

1. Jan 10, 2014
    Whilst not performing any great new feats, The Miracle Mask is a solid first 3DS addition to the Layton franchise.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    A sweet, good-natured puzzler that continues the series' traditions with some great new elements, too. [Jan 2013, p.69]
  3. Dec 16, 2012
    The Layton series' formulaic approach to gameplay is a double-edged sword – it's still engaging and fun, but at the same time, the premise has begun to show some weathering. Still, the mix of point-and-click adventure and logic puzzles is something that few other games can offer, and Miracle Mask still does it well. For anyone who is deeply invested in the Layton series and jumps at any chance to experience a new Layton game, Miracle Mask is not a game to be missed.