Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS

8.5

1. Mar 13, 2012
    Classic Resident Evil gameplay, a lot of content and well executed graphics on the system (one of the best so far). Successfully atmospheric and action-filled paced. Not a great story and some laughable characters but these defects hardly stops the game from being entertaining and a great package. Small sized 3DS screen makes the environment look a bit cluttered but everything still looksClassic Resident Evil gameplay, a lot of content and well executed graphics on the system (one of the best so far). Successfully atmospheric and action-filled paced. Not a great story and some laughable characters but these defects hardly stops the game from being entertaining and a great package. Small sized 3DS screen makes the environment look a bit cluttered but everything still looks great. No framerate issues. In-game achievements and unlockables are an added bonus, good replayability. Strongly recommended to be played with the Circle Pad Pro attachment. Definitely worth the purchase if you like the Resident Evil series. Expand
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    Like most people that will write a review for Revelations, I am a life long fan of the franchise and looked forward to this release immensely. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this was the least satisfying entry to date and that includes the Mercenaries 3D.

For me the problem doesn't lay with the graphics or game play, both are pretty impressive considering the limitations of a hand held, it's just that the game is a bit, well, boring to be honest. In trying to combine elements of the original Res games along with those of 4 and 5 it loses out in so much as it doesn't do justice to either.

There is none of the nerve jangling, heart in your mouth, survival horror of the originals, I'm sorry but white fish men just don't compare to zombies, and completely gone is the puzzle solving element. Also, although it handles and plays much like Res 4 there is nothing like enough action to make Revelations a worth while 3rd person shooter.

What your left with is neither one thing or the other but a kind of mish mash that is less than the some of it's parts. That being said, it is still a Resident Evil game and as such is better than a lot of other stuff available for the 3DS. Oh, and the storyline is ridiculous, I mean just plain stupid...
  3. May 28, 2012
    I was looking forward to this game, but the game is meh.
  4. Jun 23, 2013
    My first time playing a game in this popular survival-horror franchise, I was disappointed to find out that there really isn't any horror to speak of in this game. That doesn't make it a bad game however, it makes great use of the 3D effect and has semi-decent length for a handheld game. The presentation in this game is generally impressive. Fantastic graphics and nice soundtrack reallyMy first time playing a game in this popular survival-horror franchise, I was disappointed to find out that there really isn't any horror to speak of in this game. That doesn't make it a bad game however, it makes great use of the 3D effect and has semi-decent length for a handheld game. The presentation in this game is generally impressive. Fantastic graphics and nice soundtrack really help pull you into this game, however the occasional poor voice acting and the lackluster story do hold the game back. Gameplay is also very good. Once you get used to the controls, which seem awkward at first due to a lack of camera control, everything feels right. Shooting down enemies is satisfying and rewarding, and the campaign is a lot of fun. The co-operative Raid Mode is a lot of fun too. It reminds me a lot of the zombie mode from the Call of Duty series, in that you progress through levels while fighting increasingly challenging waves of enemies. Playing this with a friend is a lot of fun. I enjoyed the game, but I wish it was scary. There was no tension or fear of what was around the next corner, so it ended up feeling like a straight up action game rather than a survival-horror experience. Part of me wonders if this was do to the fact that it is a handheld game, because when I'm on the go there's always people around, thus reducing the tension. Still this is a fun game and it's production values are through the roof and it makes great use of the 3DS' special features, even if it seems like it might be better suited for a console at times. So whether you're a Resident Evil fan or not this is a 3DS game you should consider. I just wish it was scarier. Expand
  5. Mar 4, 2012
    It just plods along nicely enough, not really as tense or "scary" as they promised it to be and for some reason nearly every enemy is grey. Story is the usual Resi fluff, nothing to remember. Some nice puzzles here and there and the 3D works for it. A fairly easy game but some good modes on it and the Mercenaries mode is even more worthy and has more content that the stand alone 3DSIt just plods along nicely enough, not really as tense or "scary" as they promised it to be and for some reason nearly every enemy is grey. Story is the usual Resi fluff, nothing to remember. Some nice puzzles here and there and the 3D works for it. A fairly easy game but some good modes on it and the Mercenaries mode is even more worthy and has more content that the stand alone 3DS version of Mercenaries!

Better than RE5...like a lot better and even though RE4 isn't quite a RE game I still prefer that. I expected something more what with the hype.
  6. Mar 10, 2012
    Impressive little game on the 3ds, although if you haven't picked up a circle pad pro don't bother trying to play this game... you'll want to throw your system against the wall. The 3D works well but doesn't add anything to the game play, acting in the cut scenes is pretty average at best. A great little title does add a great M rated game to the 3ds library but I wonder if this game isImpressive little game on the 3ds, although if you haven't picked up a circle pad pro don't bother trying to play this game... you'll want to throw your system against the wall. The 3D works well but doesn't add anything to the game play, acting in the cut scenes is pretty average at best. A great little title does add a great M rated game to the 3ds library but I wonder if this game is really the best fit for this system. Expand
  7. Jan 27, 2014
    It's not as good as any of the main entries, but you don't expect it to be. I played it on the Wii U at first and was fairly disappointed... Then I got it for 3DS and I must say, it fits much better and some of its flaws are much more forgivable on the handheld. Quite impressive, just don't expect any depth like RE4.
  8. Feb 14, 2013
    So I am giving this game a 70 out of 100, or 7 out of 10. I find this game to be a lot of fun, that brings back some elements of old RE days while adding In action packed flashbacks, with faster paced gameplay, dealing with old monsters that made me $h!t my pants back in the day. Now the game has some flaws. I felt a little bored sometimes with repetitive gameplay/monsters/areas. ItSo I am giving this game a 70 out of 100, or 7 out of 10. I find this game to be a lot of fun, that brings back some elements of old RE days while adding In action packed flashbacks, with faster paced gameplay, dealing with old monsters that made me $h!t my pants back in the day. Now the game has some flaws. I felt a little bored sometimes with repetitive gameplay/monsters/areas. It didn't quite get close to what I felt in REzero-RE4, but nostalgic feelings aside, still a great and fun game....especially for a portable system that is still dumbing ports down for some reason(SonicRacingTransformed 3ds). This game has great visuals that prove this significant dumbing down in some games, is unnecessary and simple laziness. Anyways, the fuel behind this review's fire, is not the game itself. This game has already received the appropriate praise and criticism it deserves. My real beef is with the metacritic user who calls himself...marioisawesome. This man ,or sentient turd for all I know, rated RE Revelations...a ZERO. He the proceeded to tell inquisitive readers, that if they want a good 3ds game, get Super Mario Land 3D or NSMB 2. I have to start by saying...I am a huge Mario fan. I have an unhealthy obsession with his 2D and 3D games. (I mostly stick with the core games like SMB-SMGalaxy2, as well as the NSMBs games). I have plenty of hardcore gaming friends that get on me for my undying love for Mario, and just the fact that if I get bored with popular game A, I will just start and play Completely through NSMBWii or Galaxy.. So I love Mario games. However, metacritic user, marioisawesome, is a single-track, tunnel-vision thinker. Also an idiot in my mind. We are all entitled to our opinions, so plz don't judge him on this alone. But for some Mario fan to completely dismiss this good game, simply because he likes mario, is just plain stupid. No game with as little glitches and decently crafted exploration gameplay, should ever get a zero! And I am fully admitting that SuperMario3dLand was a much better game.. SML3D IS a better game, and if u can only afford one you enjoy platformers at all, get that one. It is well worth it, challenging, loads of fun. But to give a good game a ZERO out of 1OO!!! because you think Mario's game is better, is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Mario is my favorite game series of all time, but by no means are other games terrible to me just because I like Mario better. Just look at his page...95% of what he reviews are Mario games, with stellar ratings. He's not wrong there in my opinion, but any 3DS fan looking for more to play after Mario, should never base anything off of his reviews. This man(or woman) is textbook ignorant and should not be trusted for any review ever. Even if u are die-hard-mario, there are better and worse points to all of his games in comparison to his others. However, his mario reviews basically just say "perfect" and we already know that (to a certain extent), but he refuses to be real and talk about even minor flaws. It is all just perfect to him, no if's, and's, or but's. If you also enjoy other games, his reviews might be good for humor, but that's it. RE Revelations is a good game. It is well worthy of purchase, especially by RE fans. It is at least worth a try from 3ds owners by gamefly or demo. It is one of the biggest, most console-like games on the 3ds. Love it or like it, there is no hating it, if you have a sound mind. It is simply not possible to be intelligent and review this game with a zero. Even if u hate it, it doesn't screw up like most games do nowadays, which has to merit some credit. With marioisawesome Giving this well put together game, a zero! He completely destroys his credibility as a reviewer. Steel battalion kinnect deserves a zero bc it actually does not work. It is broken. RE Revelations is not. Like it or not, it could never be a zero. I will close by being insensitive and childish. With marioisawesome's character being ignorant, one sided when sides didn't need to exist, and just plain F-ing Stupid, I feel it should be treated in as hateful of a manner as its portrayal. Drag it behind a metaphorical truck to be killed and forgotten. We have moved beyond this ignorant way of thinking, but since he clearly has not, he should be treated as such. Just like white people don't need narrow minded racisism towards other races, normal Mario/video game lovers, do not need ignorant supremacy speeches about other good games(or even just mediocre games), making us all look like fools. NSMBU is great. Finished it completely 4 times. But come on marioisawesome, 10/10? It was basically NSMBWii with better visuals. Dont try to ruin other good games for potential buyers bc of your inability to like anything but Mario. You are the white supremacist/extreme red neck of Mario fans, and we want nothing to do with your ridiculous, unfounded hatred. Expand
  9. Aug 2, 2013
    I have given this game a 7, but I don´t think it deserves to pass the psychological line of 6.X. I was thinking about 6.8, so I give it a 7 because it is the closest.
    I think Resident Evil Revelations is a catalogue builder but has lots of weak points that keep it from being a great game, both as part of the RE franchise and as a videogame in general. The main campaign is not so long, about 10 hours, but felt boring for most of the time. The chapters system is ok, but most of the chapters are very dull.
    There are some things that just make no sense, restoring the electrical power of a sunken ship is one of my favourites. But what about your partners? They very rarely get attacked or kill someone, they don´t run out of ammo..... They are like an imaginary friend that follows you around. Some of them would ask you for cover so they can take shelter, but instead of taking shelter they will put them shelves in the line of fire between you and your enemies.
    Also there are very few types of enemies and I dont think the ones that look like lizards blend in the resident evil franchise. They seem to have come out of Turok or something. Just like the scanner reminds of Metroid Prime. Its main use here is to scan enemies to get herbs, or scan places to get other items, but you are already overflowed with ammo and herbs. The progress bar to get one herb fells very anti climatic. I think it could have been better if the scanner found weak points on each specific enemy so you could beat them more easily, it would have fitted the game much more than a progress bar to get extra herb, and the final effect would have been the same (easier survival).
    Otherwise, the 3d effect, extra modes and features you can unlock, sound and graphics are good. Long story short, not a classic resident evil but a game I could recommend to pass the time.
  10. Nov 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. having played this game for about 15 hours beating it and playing the extra modes i can fully say that its an ok game now am going to break it down into what i like and what i did not like

what i did enjoy
    the horror parts in this game are by far the best part of it, i really enjoyed the time playing on the ship it was by fare really fun and had the odd jump scares, next i really enjoyed the enemy's the ooze really cool and something different to shoot and it felt that through out the whole game there was always something new to fight either being a mini-boss to a boss to a new common enemy it made it feel like am not just shooting the same thing over and over again, next the game was actually hard it some parts, now most of the game was easy but at the odd time it was hard spoiler ( for example the time where your locked in the room and that monster comes out of the closet and you have no weapons to fight it i died a good few times there) next i enjoyed the weapons and how you get them a few weapons require you do either A just play the game and they become available or B you have to do certain challenges and then you can unlock them.

what i did not enjoy
    what is with the action parts? the horror parts where fun but every time i had to go through one of these parts i felt sad and hoped that it was only a few minutes long or super easy that i could get it over with, next the story why is it so bad? i mean nothing is good about it and most of it is either A some plot twist that involves you playing and beating a different game or B just explains why your shooting ever thing and that your not just dropped into some random part and have to kill ever thing, next is the pace you move like a brick wall even with sensitive on max you move like a brick wall and turning feels like years this is a big problem in parts with many enemy's attacking at once and results in some cheap feeling deaths. and last why do the guns sound like popcorn? if you think call of duty guns sound bad then you never have played this game.

i would say that anyone who owns a 3ds and needs something to play go ahead and play this game its fun but if your some one who just is looking at a ton of different games/already has tons of things to play then stay away from this one.
    but if you enjoy RE games or just want to play this game i would say go ahead and get it, its fun at times but in the end its something your not going to keep coming back to play
  11. Sep 25, 2016
    This is much better than Resident Evil 5 / 6.
    But, that's not saying much. Since RE5 & RE6 aren't worth finishing.
    I made the mistake of playing on an 'old' 3DS console without the circle pad pro. So, the controls weren't perfect. There were some great Resident Evil moments throughout Revelations. The shark creatures, for example, were awesome. And, I liked the underwater
    This is much better than Resident Evil 5 / 6.
    But, that's not saying much. Since RE5 & RE6 aren't worth finishing.

So, the controls weren't perfect.

There were some great Resident Evil moments throughout Revelations.
    The shark creatures, for example, were awesome.
    And, I liked the underwater segments too.

The plot is pretty awful and it is way too layered / complex.
    If a game has a phoned-in story line, it should be simple.
    The Revelations story is - basically - layer upon layer of crap.
    There were at least half a dozen twists and none of happened organically.
    But, to be fair, the cinematic effects during plot cut-scenes were pretty cool.

My main problem with the gameplay was the inconsistency in terms of difficulty.
    In a lot of sections, you can run past/through enemies without being hit by them.
    It is, often, easier to just run through a room full of enemies and slam the door closed behind you.

When I replayed the original game recently, there was still a lingering threat of death around every corner.
    The ammo and herbs were limited, back then, so you had to be careful.

Revelations is set halfway between Resident Evil 4 & Resident Evil 5.
    It is, also, halfway between a survival horror game and a 3rd person shooter.
    I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it was more challenging.

Not a bad entry in the series.
    But, not a particularly good one either.
  12. Jan 12, 2013
    Just beat this game tonight, and I have to say it was definitely worth what I paid. The story is interesting, the controls worked well even without dual joysticks, and it provided a pretty decent challenge without ever becoming frustrating or obnoxious. I also played through some of the "Raid" missions, which are sort of this game's version of The Mercenaries. You basically run through aJust beat this game tonight, and I have to say it was definitely worth what I paid. The story is interesting, the controls worked well even without dual joysticks, and it provided a pretty decent challenge without ever becoming frustrating or obnoxious. I also played through some of the "Raid" missions, which are sort of this game's version of The Mercenaries. You basically run through a small level toward a goal as fast as you can, murdering everything along the way. This gives you points for unlockables and new weapons and upgrades. Basically it's a pretty good game. It is a bit short (main game took me only 9 hours, and I was not fast at all), and the underwater bits were kind of annoying, but it's worth your time and money to check it out. Collapse

1. Gamer.no
    Mar 9, 2012
    Resident Evil: Revelations shows the potential that lies in Nintendos new handheld console. The story itself is masterfully told inepisodes, and the game has the best sound I've experienced on a 3DS sofar. The controls, however, seem a bit too stiff, but in a way thatalso enhanced the general claustrophobic atmosphere in the game.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Mar 8, 2012
    Best parts of survival action are horror moments and online cooperation. RE: Revelations show the potential of 3DS in full scale. [Feb 2012]
  3. Feb 29, 2012
    While survival-horror definitely isn't my best genre, Resident Evil: Revelations is easily one of the best 3DS games I've played to date. Just about any frustrations I've come across is due to my own lack of skill and experience with the franchise as a whole. If you're a Resident Evil fan with a 3DS, this is definitely one to pick up.