8.6

1. May 29, 2013
    Not quite what I thought it would be

This is a title many people including myself have been waiting for for a long time. It promises an almost console like experience and to some extent it does deliver that, although it has it's flaws. The Good Graphically decent, probably the 2nd best looking 3ds game so far (second to Mario Kart 7 which looks phenomenal) Sound design is awesome,
    Not quite what I thought it would be

The Good
    Sound design is awesome, play this wearing a decent pair of headphones to get the most of out the sound. The 3ds speakers don't do it justice.
    The luxury cruise ship Queen Zenobia is a decent setting although has been done before in Resident Evil Gaiden.
    Unlockables and costumes to collect.
    Almost returns to the franchises routes with some scares and backtracking to return to newly accessible areas.
    Weapon upgrade system works well and is fun to experiment with.
    Good pacing, not always solving puzzles or shooting monsters.
    Play as the old favourite reoccurring characters.
    Raid mode is decent alone.
    You can move while shooting now. You may like or dislike this.
    Good length. Took me about 10 hours to finish the campaign.
    Many medals to unlock (sort of like achievements/trophies)

The Bad

The game teases you as you get a bit of old school corridor exploration like in the earlier games but in the style at Resident Evil 4-5. This would be a good thing but on too many occasions the game resorts to throwing waves of enemies at you and almost becomes a bad third person shooter.
    The story is laughably bad. Terragrigia? Veltro? Why is Capcom introducing more needless rubbish to an already convoluted franchise?
    The new characters are pointless, annoying and add nothing to the franchise. Why not give us a game with Billy or Barry? Nobody wants "Jackass", "Grinder" and "Jessica"
    The dialogue is cringeworthy even by Japanese standards. It's so bad it rivals the first games except it's not in any way amusing.
    Every time a bit of tension builds the game takes you away from the action and forces you to play a lame third person shooter. By the second episode you will have mowed down more Hunters than in every other Resident Evil game combined. It's not fun and it adds nothing.

Limited ammo and herb carrying capability. You can carry 40 bullets and 5 herbs at first until later where you can find bags to hold more. You have to leave most ammo behind which is annoying.

They removed the item management system, all you have to do is select your weapon loadouts at weapon chests. This may actually be a good thing depending on your preference.

The bosses and enemies are really generic and actually make you laugh more than they scare you. The first and second bosses in particular are just stupid.

The Genesis. You can scan enemies with this which basically fills a bar. Once the bar is filled you get a green herb, which you won't need more than likely. Also you can use the genesis to scan rooms for hidden items. Doesn't add anything and just slows the game down.

Haven't been to able to connect to a multiplayer Raid game.
    Horrendous lag when a new area is loading. Instead of getting a "now loading" screen the game carries on but the frame rate drops to 2fps and the game stutters like crazy totally removing the point of having invisible loading screens (to avoid breaking immersion).

While the sound is good when there is many explosions and gunfire the 3DS speakers distort like crazy. I use headphones most of the time but if you allow the speakers to distort like that they WILL break.

Load times are ridiculous for a cartridge based game. I know the game is probably heavily compressed to fit on the cart but it's still pretty poor.

Ridiculous circle pad pro add on I refuse to buy makes the game control better apparently. The controls are pretty stiff without but manageable.

I'm a total Resident Evil fan having completed the previous games many times, Resident Evil 2 and 4 I have probably finished 20-30 times each. I can honestly say this one will never be replayed and I was kind of glad it finished when it did. However it's still a decent game on a system without too many must have titles and I would recommend it at a lower price.

1. Mar 9, 2012
    Resident Evil: Revelations shows the potential that lies in Nintendos new handheld console. The story itself is masterfully told inepisodes, and the game has the best sound I've experienced on a 3DS sofar. The controls, however, seem a bit too stiff, but in a way thatalso enhanced the general claustrophobic atmosphere in the game.
    Best parts of survival action are horror moments and online cooperation. RE: Revelations show the potential of 3DS in full scale. [Feb 2012]
  3. Feb 29, 2012
    While survival-horror definitely isn't my best genre, Resident Evil: Revelations is easily one of the best 3DS games I've played to date. Just about any frustrations I've come across is due to my own lack of skill and experience with the franchise as a whole. If you're a Resident Evil fan with a 3DS, this is definitely one to pick up.