• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Jun 28, 2011
6.4

1. Mar 23, 2012
    This game is very underrated, for its supposedly short content... But to unlock everything, you need to beat almost 780 missions with SS range (Seriously!)... This game has no end, and playing it with a friend (Wireless or Online) is a blast!... With a great level of difficulty and a lot to do, i think this game deserves a better attention!... Also is very fun!
  2. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's start with this game which I just got and it's fairy good sometimes here's my main reason:

1. the character now runs when you don't need to hold two buttons to do it

2. it's fairly easy to kill a whole bunch of Ganados and get a kill zone for hours

3. I notice something they like changed in this game in some levels you're in waves after waves which is pretty boring I guess which could take a few hours until you die or the time goes down until the game is over

4. it's on line which to me I like not the best game for on line stuff as you need to go to place to another before a Gan ado shows up

5. they went down to really put the same levels in Resident Evil 4 and 5 Mercenaries but they put random bad guys in the area instead

Downside is
    when you try to kill say a boss you try to but the fact is your surround by the other mobs who try to kill you and then more and more show up out of nowhere making it a one hell annoying even more for you.

Only the big bosses come after you all others they stand still wait for you to attack this game is pity just so Cap com can and willing get more money at there doorstep for selling a mini-game which was on three other games man it's just crude!

But they is no story to this mindless game but it's kind of fun game to rank up a lot of points if you got the time and er patience to do it.

I did had a lot of lag in the on line though when you on the last 5 seconds on so the game will die and say you're connection has been lost then you're back at the start of the menu with all the points you just got meaning you got to do that stage again!

At least you get these killer skills you can use on this game :D which I like the thunder strike thing when you hit a person out thunder strikes around them and hitting anyone on the area which is funny.
  3. Apr 23, 2013
    As a big RE fan I was very excited when this new portable version of the shooting franchise was released and all in all I wasn't disappointed.

The style the gameplay requires you to kill as many enemies as you can in a limited amount of time. It's an addictive and action filled game that you are bound to like if you enjoy head shotting enemies against the clock. The attraction of beating your previous high scores will have you playing through this relatively short game a good few times.

Essentially Mercenaries is just a slightly expanded mini-game. There's no story mode and just six groups of missions to play. Also, there are only eight characters to choose from each with only one alternative costume. This lack of variety is slightly disappointing from a game which retails at the price of a full release.

The aiming and shooting system works well you use the circle 3DS pad to aim which feels very intuitive. However, the feature that allows you to move while shooting by pressing L to strafe is useless as you cannot adjust your crosshairs whilst moving. This is a disappointing flaw but it can always be overcome by just stopping and then lining up the headshots.

The graphics of this game are very good and possibly even the best I have seen on the 3DS. However the frame rate is poor which is very annoying as in places the game can stutter. Also enemies can randomly disappear during gameplay which can be infuriating.

A nice feature of the game is the ability to unlock skills and up to three of them to your character. Also there is the ability to play with a buddy on certain missions via a local or online link. Although this does require both players to own the cartridge it does make for a fun addition to the gameplay.

Finally, this game comes with a complementary Resident Evil Revelations demo which is due to come out sometime next year. The demo is only a couple of minutes long and does not really give you a great feel as to what this game is going to be like.

Overall, Mercenaries 3D feels like it has been rushed through production due to the slow frame rate, flawed moving controls and enemies which disappear randomly. But despite the fact that this game has the depth of a kiddie pool it is an excellent ride. If, like me, you enjoy shooting monsters then you will overlook problems and just embrace the addictive and action-filled nature of this game.
  4. Jun 29, 2011
    This game deserves much better reviews than people are giving it, it's a 6 at worst. But in My opinion it sits comfortably at seven. It offers enough with the upgrade system to warrant replay, and the gameplay itself is fantastic. The visuals are some of the best on the 3DS so far, and the online co op becomes an absolute bloodbath in seeing who can slaughter more foes. Get it or miss out,This game deserves much better reviews than people are giving it, it's a 6 at worst. But in My opinion it sits comfortably at seven. It offers enough with the upgrade system to warrant replay, and the gameplay itself is fantastic. The visuals are some of the best on the 3DS so far, and the online co op becomes an absolute bloodbath in seeing who can slaughter more foes. Get it or miss out, it's worth the money for a perfect pick up and play game on the go. Expand
  5. Jun 28, 2011
    Great game. Not mind blowing or revolutionary, but toms of fun. It's exactly what I expected the game to be. If you liked Mercenaries mode, then you'll love this.. There's a good amount of maps and a wealth of content to unlock. IGN gave this an 6.5 because it lacked content? Wrong game. There's EX levels and costumes to unlock on top of a progression based perks system. My gripe is thatGreat game. Not mind blowing or revolutionary, but toms of fun. It's exactly what I expected the game to be. If you liked Mercenaries mode, then you'll love this.. There's a good amount of maps and a wealth of content to unlock. IGN gave this an 6.5 because it lacked content? Wrong game. There's EX levels and costumes to unlock on top of a progression based perks system. My gripe is that the animations of enemies coming from far are terrible. They look like claymation cartoons in a bad way. Also, the sound design is nothing special, but it works. Play with headphones. Sure the game has pretty much the same objectives, but besting each level for a high score with different characters is great. This is for high score chasers only. Expand
  6. Jun 28, 2011
    A lot of people are complaining that The Mercenaries 3D is just a mini game collection of Resident Evil 4 & 5 which Capcom is charging full price for. That isn't true. The Mercenaries 3D offers a variety and lengthy campaign for each character. With that said, if you didn't like playing The Mercenaries mode in any of the Resident Evil's then this game isn't going to change your mind.A lot of people are complaining that The Mercenaries 3D is just a mini game collection of Resident Evil 4 & 5 which Capcom is charging full price for. That isn't true. The Mercenaries 3D offers a variety and lengthy campaign for each character. With that said, if you didn't like playing The Mercenaries mode in any of the Resident Evil's then this game isn't going to change your mind. If you liked playing The Mercenaries mode then I highly recommend this. The only gripes I have about this are that you can't reset your data if you wanted to work all over again and some characters I really like in the series aren't here. Where are you Leon and Ada? Expand
  7. Jun 29, 2011
    It's annoying to see the metacritic user score at 4.9 because a bunch of people are pissed about one flaw and are giving it a 0. This game deserves a 8.5 or so. I'm giving it a ten to offset all the freaking 0's that this game is wrongly receiving. So Mercenaries is a high score kind of game. There is no story mode and the whole thing is based of the mercenaries mode from RE 4 and 5. IIt's annoying to see the metacritic user score at 4.9 because a bunch of people are pissed about one flaw and are giving it a 0. This game deserves a 8.5 or so. I'm giving it a ten to offset all the freaking 0's that this game is wrongly receiving. So Mercenaries is a high score kind of game. There is no story mode and the whole thing is based of the mercenaries mode from RE 4 and 5. I don't think the game is worth the 40 dollars it's priced at. There is just not enough content; however, the content that is there is super fun and addicting. Once you start mission 1-1 you won't be able to stop. The controls are nice. At first I didn't think I was gonna like them, but they're actually very smooth and responsive. The graphics are some of the best on the system. Some of the enemies can look a tad rough if you get real close, but overall the game looks great. There is a weird problem where if you look at an enemy from far a way it looks like it's moving in stop motion or something. It doesn't effect the game, but it does look unnatural. Co-op mode is very fun and works fine. You will only wait like a minute or so until someone starts the game with you. The one flaw I was talking about before I started this over-sized review is the fact that you can't erase your save data. Once you start a file you cannot erase it. This really sucks because if you buy it used your gonna have to start where the other guy left off. This really doesn't matter to much because the game is just a bunch of missions. So even though the previous owners high-scores will be there you can still play it normally. It also takes away the fun of unlocking characters and skills if they are already unlocked. It's definitely a flaw, but not as big a one as people are making it out to be. So there. The game is a little overpriced and has a few frame-rate issues and stuff, but overall the game is very fun and something you should highly consider for your 3ds. Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2011
    As per jl0329, this game is not worthy of a 10 - but given the idiots posting zeros because of a minor gripe, this is to counterbalance that.

Resi 3D is a solid and addictive arcade game, which (if you enjoyed the Mercs in Resi 4/5 and you like chasing high scores) you will sink plenty of time into. For those after Resi of old, you may just want to wait for Revelations. For fun value

For those after Resi of old, you may just want to wait for Revelations. For fun value alone this is well deserving of an 8!
  9. Jun 29, 2011
    Do not be fooled by IGNorant reviews or those written by foolish "users". Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is a fun filled action packed little brother to its console companion with a TON of replay value. The game CAN be played repeatedly so if you think that you can only play through once you are way wrong! It is, however, set up like an arcade machine in a sense and the perks and otherDo not be fooled by IGNorant reviews or those written by foolish "users". Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is a fun filled action packed little brother to its console companion with a TON of replay value. The game CAN be played repeatedly so if you think that you can only play through once you are way wrong! It is, however, set up like an arcade machine in a sense and the perks and other unlocks remain unlocked indefinitely once originally unlocked. That being said the game controls wonderfully and the character models are comparable to the console versions. I ran into some relatively minor frame-rate issues (minor in that they do little to hinder its enjoyment or playability). There are MANY more missions than the critic at IGN claimed (for whatever reason) and the perks, characters and other unlocks were fun to explore with loads of different combinations. Each character can save a rating to the game and each time your previous rating is beat it will save the new one (typical of most arcade type games) Each character has unique moves and weapon combinations and can be tweaked with perks and an additional outfit (with a separate outfit score slot) THIS GAME HAS PLENTY OF REPLAY-ABILITY so if you have heard otherwise ignore them and try it out for your self. While it has some issues this is a fantastic handheld version of the Mercenaries mini game we have all come to love. The included demo of Resident Evil: Revelations was indeed very short, however, it did provide players with a strong sense of the setting and environment they can expect from the next title (the ambiance it creates can easily be compared to Dead Space or early resident evil titles) The real verdict is that this game should NOT be overlooked as an empty un-replayable arcade shooter as other critics seem to assume, but as a handheld replica of its console cousins with beautiful visuals, exciting action packed shooting sequences and a substantial amount of added depth. A MUST BUY FOR FANS of the series and Mercenaries mini games as well as 3DS owners who have been itching for an action title. Expand
  10. Jun 28, 2011
    First off, let me get this out of the way. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3d isn't a mini-game being sold at full retail price. There is a lot more to it than you think. Sure, the single player missions can be completed in around five hours. I'm not denying that. The truth of the matter is, The Mercenaries 3d barely needs missions. The point is to try and rack up as many points as you canFirst off, let me get this out of the way. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3d isn't a mini-game being sold at full retail price. There is a lot more to it than you think. Sure, the single player missions can be completed in around five hours. I'm not denying that. The truth of the matter is, The Mercenaries 3d barely needs missions. The point is to try and rack up as many points as you can and trust me, it's much more fun than you'd expect. The Mercenaries mode in RE4 and 5 kept me and many other gamers around the world hooked for months, and the same holds true for it's full fledged release. I couldn't put the 3ds down. As I type this review, I struggle not to pick it up again and play a few more rounds. Many complain about the lack of levels in the Mercs 3d. While it is true that there are a considerably small amount of levels, you have to complete all of them with every character to really finish them. Each characters melee attacks and weapon sets alter the gameplay and provide a different experience than when you played that level with another character. There's also a type of "perk" system similar to that found in Call of Duty. There are 30 different skills that can be mixed and matched. I'm still trying to figure out which I like best. I would take days to try out every combination. The graphics are top notch and the best available on the 3ds. They look even better on the system than whatever you seen on the internet. The frame rate stays at a consistent 30 fps throughout even while playing co op online and locally. The only hiccup is that the enemies in the distance have a choppy animation. Not a big problem considering most of the action takes place up front. The sound is sub-par. The music is tense but sounds like it is being played from a 20th century cell phone. The character voices also sound muffled and not intentionally. Head phones only slightly improve the experience. But sound does not make a game. The gameplay does, and REM3D delivers. It's the same action you know and love. You have to play it know how addicting it is. Nuff said. Along with the single player mode is online and local co op. Both work great and it's never been more fun blowing Majini heads off with your best friend. The frame rate stayed consistent even while I played online co op with dudes form Japan. There's also a RE:Revelations demo that is extremely short but it still successfully fueled my excitement about the game. So my final thoughts are that this is a great game that falls just short of excellence. If your a perfectionist and high score chaser, don't even consider not getting it. And if you aren't, get it anyway. It's one helluva game.

(Message for Haters- Please do not post negative (or positive) reviews without having played the game. You are dragging the rating down and depriving many gamers from a great game. Thank You.)
  11. Jul 2, 2011
    it's really addictive, but i'm just thinking i should be playing resi 4 in 3d with this on the side! kinda hurt by it cause i hate saying bad things about resi, plus what is it with the frame rate, it's a joke when that bat boss is about lol
  12. Jul 1, 2011
    OK, UPDATED REVIEW! Still a 10 as you CAN repeat CAN have as many save files as you want, you can replay and even start a NEW save for your friends or to trade it in, although you can trade it in already. You need a NDS cart, video tutorial on YouTube on how to... So anyway the game has amazing graphics! It is not just a 5 min play through and tbh anyone who thought this wasn't the sameOK, UPDATED REVIEW! Still a 10 as you CAN repeat CAN have as many save files as you want, you can replay and even start a NEW save for your friends or to trade it in, although you can trade it in already. You need a NDS cart, video tutorial on YouTube on how to... So anyway the game has amazing graphics! It is not just a 5 min play through and tbh anyone who thought this wasn't the same MERCENARIES type game mode through out loads of previous resident evil games are stupid and should not call them selves a fan, in which case why buy it? The gameplay is fun, addictive, and most of all REPLAYABLE, so if anyone is reading this and you like resident evil games then my review is THE one to go by, ALL of the bad reviews are trolls that only follow hyped up games and dint have an opinion of there own just sheep. Also likento add I buy games for the fun and even if you couldn't (although you can) delete your save, it means you rely on trade in so you shouldn't bother anyway and also says that you friend should buy his own game, your friend is a bum! Seriously every bad review I doubt even have a 3DS...either that or are just blind. Mafia 2 had no replay value whatsoever all you could do was buy a suit and drive a car.....yes wow lol. COD=waste of youth just to unlock an extra prestige but loose loads of items OMG AMAZING...sarcasm much?!? Expand
  13. Jun 30, 2011
    Hola a todo el mundo.
    Con mi mensaje queria comentar, que realmente, este juego es de lo mejorcito que te puedes encontrar para Nintendo 3DS.
    Si nos ponemos objetivos, Resident Evil 5 es un mercenarios, con puzzles y sin tiempo alguno... Tener un poco mas de lo mismo, ten por seguro que no va a hacer daño. Otra cosa es la capada sobre las partidas guardadas, Pues si un
    Hola a todo el mundo.
    Tener un poco mas de lo mismo, ten por seguro que no va a hacer daño.

Otra cosa es la capada sobre las partidas guardadas, Pues si un juego SE COMPRA, y si se es Coleccionista, Creeme que no lo vas a vender, te lo aseguro.

Asi pues, no destrocéis la nota, jugadlo y probradlo Un saludo a todos !
  14. Jul 2, 2011
    I don't know why so many people are giving this game so many bad reviews. It's a fun, heart-pounding pick up & go game. There's plenty of content ( unlockables, costumes, perks, characters, ect.) While the story mode is just a series of missions adapted in some kind of tutorial for newcomers, it's still fun to play, and that's the most important aspect in a video game. It's addictive,I don't know why so many people are giving this game so many bad reviews. It's a fun, heart-pounding pick up & go game. There's plenty of content ( unlockables, costumes, perks, characters, ect.) While the story mode is just a series of missions adapted in some kind of tutorial for newcomers, it's still fun to play, and that's the most important aspect in a video game. It's addictive, really fun, and has some serious graphics for a handheld device. If you're looking for some good arcade fun, you should totally pick this up. ~ J.D. Expand
  15. Jul 7, 2011
    @Santaglaus:

@Santaglaus:

You should not be reviewing games on Metacritic. If you're going to give a game a 10, there should be no complaints whatsoever, yet in your review, which is fairly short, you go on to complain half the time about the game and you cannot spell! A 10/10 game is flawless, RE: Mercenaries is not flawless...... you even say so yourself. Please stay off of Metacritic. It's ignorant people like you who destroy the credibility of game reviews here on metacritic.

Oh, and BTW, the game is OK. I gave it a 6 / 10, which is being generous. No touchscreen first person shooter controls on a touchscreen centered gaming system?! WTF?! This game should really not have even been released as a stand - alone $40 MSRP game. It should have been an add-on or a Downloadable title in it's current iteration. Don't even get me started on the Saving debacle associated with this game..... I won't go there because plenty of us already know what kind of crap that whole thing turned out to be. Hopefully Capcom won't pull that BS anymore.

Overall though, for what it's worth, it's an OK game and suits "on - the - go" portable gaming well. It should have been a DLC game though and not a full retail release.
  16. Jun 29, 2011
    First of all, this game doesn't deserve a score of 10. I am giving it a 10 only to offset all these immature kids who gave it a 0 without even playing the game. Yes, I am aware of that you can't erase your save data. Yes, I know it cost $40 bucks. I am not a big fan of neither of these things. However, the game itself is a lot of fun and it will keep your hands glued to your 3DS for a veryFirst of all, this game doesn't deserve a score of 10. I am giving it a 10 only to offset all these immature kids who gave it a 0 without even playing the game. Yes, I am aware of that you can't erase your save data. Yes, I know it cost $40 bucks. I am not a big fan of neither of these things. However, the game itself is a lot of fun and it will keep your hands glued to your 3DS for a very long time. It's like an elite version of angry bird or doodle jump, the goal of the game is to get higher scores. And we all know how addicting doodle jump or tetris can be. Of course, this kind of game doesn't appeal to all gamers alike. If you are a gamer who doesn't care about story, you like to sharpen your skills and constantly improve your gameplay, then this game is a perfect fit for you. Not to mention the killer graphic on a portable. Expand
  17. Jun 29, 2011
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3ds is good game the 3ds need following the weak launching games and months that followed. If u got a Nintendo 3ds then I recommend this game for u to buy. I have always love the Resident Evil games and this game is no different to me. It's not the long story mode game plays that Resident Evil 4 & 5 are, but a fun packing action mini game that's more then aResident Evil: The Mercenaries 3ds is good game the 3ds need following the weak launching games and months that followed. If u got a Nintendo 3ds then I recommend this game for u to buy. I have always love the Resident Evil games and this game is no different to me. It's not the long story mode game plays that Resident Evil 4 & 5 are, but a fun packing action mini game that's more then a mini game. Expand
  18. Jun 29, 2011
    Yes, you can't erase your save data. This doesn't mean you can't replay the game nor that you can't loan or give it to friends. People need to stop spreading bullcrap. You can replay it as much as you like, in fact that's the whole point of the game!
    This game is a lot of fun. It's a fast paced arcade shooter, with no story or narrative. This may not be your cup of tea. The graphics are top notch, easily better than RE:4. The controls work really well with the 3DS and follow the same "tank" format as other RE games. The 3D effect is well done though not as prominent as Zelda:OOT for example. Overall a great game and a great addition to the 3DS line-up. If there were a huge library of competing games out there I might hesitate to recommend it but right now I can easily tell any 3DS owner to pick it up and you won't be disappointed. People who are heavily into trading in their games might have a problem with the re-sale/trade-in value of the game but people who invest in games to play them shouldn't have any problems.
  19. Jun 29, 2011
    This is a great game. Nice visuals and a lot of enjoyable action. It's a shame everybody don't feel the same way . But hopefully people will buy it even if it got some very bland reviews.
  20. Jul 2, 2011
    Maybe it's just my view is a bit obscure, but having played very few shooters and no earlier of the Resident Evil installments, i found this quite new and interesting, however, i can understand that to others it may not be so. The graphics are nice, some of the best on a non-Nintendo mafe 3DS game, and the gameplay is quite well incorporated with the 3DS' style. There is a slight lack toMaybe it's just my view is a bit obscure, but having played very few shooters and no earlier of the Resident Evil installments, i found this quite new and interesting, however, i can understand that to others it may not be so. The graphics are nice, some of the best on a non-Nintendo mafe 3DS game, and the gameplay is quite well incorporated with the 3DS' style. There is a slight lack to the actual missions, but it's fun nonetheless, and I do think the critic reviews are slightly harsh. There's nothing mindblowing as Jowser11 said, but it's nice to play until Nintendo releases some of it's own games later this year, but it isn't a must have, just nice to have if you've got it. Expand
  21. Jul 2, 2011
    It seems this game is getting low scores due to a few flaws,frame rate,one save file and not much variety. It dose not pretend to have anything else but the mercenary mode and all the reviews tell you that so if it bugs you don't buy it!. The frame rate gets a bit choppy but so what so do ps3 and xbox games and they are so much powerful. The graphics in all are brilliant for a hand held.It seems this game is getting low scores due to a few flaws,frame rate,one save file and not much variety. It dose not pretend to have anything else but the mercenary mode and all the reviews tell you that so if it bugs you don't buy it!. The frame rate gets a bit choppy but so what so do ps3 and xbox games and they are so much powerful. The graphics in all are brilliant for a hand held. The one save is no big deal Why would u want to reset your game data. Fair enough if you buy it second hand I can see the point but again you know this before you buy it. So stop whining and either get cuz u want it or don't because of a few gripes you know what your getting before you get it. Expand
  22. Jun 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. if you have got n3ds , you will play REM3D s Expand
  23. Jul 3, 2011
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is a real fun experience if you like Arcade like Highscore shooter.
    Many people are complaining about Mercenaries 3D. And yes, I'm really weary when it comes to this topic. Or the topic "is this game worth the full price?". If you don't like it, don't buy it. Capcom won't force you.
    First, the bad things. Well, the graphics looks overall very pretty,

First, the bad things. Well, the graphics looks overall very pretty, there are a few slow animations when enemies moving in distances. Also, there are a few bad looking textures. But overall, yes, I'm impressed by the graphics.

However, the sounds are the worst. Capcom could have done the sound effects much better. It all sounds like someone is voicing through a Walkie Talkie. Overall, it sounds very tinny.

Anyway. I'm really enjoying this game. There is many to unlock, and Online, the game is just awesome. Only an Online Ranking System is missing. There are no lags, so, you can enjoy the full experience.
    In a few aspects, Capcom improved the gameplay from the home console originals. Now, there are skills which you can upgrade. And there are tons of skills.

At least, try the game by yourself. If you like the Mercenaries on the home consoles, you will love the 3DS version. There are 30 missions, unlockable Characters and Costumes. The Online mode is great, and overall, the game is pure M rated Action.

Including the short Demo of Resident Evil: Revelations, the content is ok. Is it worth a full price? Yes. But only if you are able to go Online with your 3DS. There are many harsh critics. The game don't deserve such a harsh critic. It is rock solid, and there is a lot of fun.
  24. Jul 31, 2011
    Who ever gives this game a score above 5 is a fool, and here's why;
    Capcom doesn't care about the gamer, they care about their pocket book. The mercinaries is a mini game that has been (and this is rare for capcom) free in their most recent releases of resident evil or biohazard as it's known in japan.
    Who ever gives this game a score above 5 is a fool, and here's why;

My complaint plain and simple is that it's a $45, 300mb on a card that can hold up to and excess of 50gb of data, and get this; Resident Evil revelations, their next full release coming up in a few months for the 3DS is only to be roughly 1.3gb in size, so why not just put this mini game on their? Here's what you have been fooled into believing; (1)"its a bench mark test" -no it's not, capcom begins distribution of their games one year after they're done being made (2) "the idea of having this nice mini game in your pocket is so nice" - again, why not just put it on the already finished full game coming out for the 3DS in a few months (3) "it was made for the fans, you wouldn't understand" - i just want to punch you

So anyways, heres the answer to the they released it on a seperate card; to make more money. "well Matthew" you say, "isn't that the whole objective of a business, to make money?" well technically yes Mr. useless, mindless 'video gamer' fool, it is! Except the difference is that usually you don't want to willingly get ripped off by an openly admitted company attempting to be a monopoly.

So what's my verdict? I am definitely going to but RE Revelations coming out soon, but under no condition am I going to buy their $45 mini game that should be already be on the fully released game.
  25. Jul 1, 2011
    No replayability means no value. I wouldn't take this game for FREE. Sometimes you just have to stand by your principles, and this is one of those times. Every person who bought this game should never borrow, rent, trade-in, or buy used any game.
  26. Jun 28, 2011
    It's a minigame stretched out to a 40 dollar purchase. Along with insulting restrictions on the inability to erase your game, this is hardly worth a purchase.
  27. Jun 29, 2011
    Capcom has sunk to the lowest level possible by only offering one save file that can not be overwritten. You will not be able to start the campaign over and of course you will never be able to sell the game or trade it in for credit. Publishers are so jealous of the used game market they attempt to convince people it is bad for gaming. In reality it only benefits gaming and without it theCapcom has sunk to the lowest level possible by only offering one save file that can not be overwritten. You will not be able to start the campaign over and of course you will never be able to sell the game or trade it in for credit. Publishers are so jealous of the used game market they attempt to convince people it is bad for gaming. In reality it only benefits gaming and without it the industry would suffer. Publishers are blinded by jealously and fail to see this. Thousands of gamers rely on in-store credit and used games so they can by New games. This is how the entertainment economy is able to grow.

As a life-long gamer I will never support such behavior. This is worse then Capcom withholding content from games only to charge later for it as DLC. This is a all new low. Capcom is on my Boycott list and any game they are affiliated with that interest me I will be renting it.
  28. Jun 28, 2011
    The graphics are interesting until they give you a headache.

Not being able to clear save data and start a new game cancels out any redeeming qualities this game may have.
  29. Jun 30, 2011
    This game may be pretty for a handheld game, it may be enjoyable when you first get your hands on it but I warn people that this outer-sheen quickly fades away when you realise (as a fan of the series or otherwise) that there really isn't all that much to do. From such a revered series it is shocking that the developers only found time to copy&paste about 9 almost unique locales into theThis game may be pretty for a handheld game, it may be enjoyable when you first get your hands on it but I warn people that this outer-sheen quickly fades away when you realise (as a fan of the series or otherwise) that there really isn't all that much to do. From such a revered series it is shocking that the developers only found time to copy&paste about 9 almost unique locales into the game and anyone thats played the bonus modes that this is based on from RE4/5 will be astonished to see they have not only not bothered to include the entirety of the missions at the least from those AND they have opted to eject the wide variety of playable characters in favour of 7 (and Barry Burton) with a huge variety of 1 alt costume each (what sarcasm?) missing out on a number of the series most beloved characters in favour of a walking internet meme. AND to rub salt in the wound we have a title that can only be played through once, with only 1 save file and no option to delete that save and start over. So overall we have a lazy cash-in to show-off an impressive engine that WILL be put to better use in the true next entry in the RE series: Revelations. So my advice is either wait till this drops to a reasonable price (a lot) and buy it new or wait for Revelations to come out and replay OOT:3D instead. Value for money: 3/10 but the quality of the experience that is under all this butchering earns the itself a 6/10 so overall: 5/10 Expand
  30. Jul 1, 2011
    Very fun to play. People who are complaining about the save problem need to calm down, this isn't a game you would want to reset. Overall the graphics are superb for a handheld, with some minor issues: some slowdown and a few blocky textures here and there. The controls are very intuitive and fluent. What's really nice is the ability to strafe while aiming (finally) and the option toVery fun to play. People who are complaining about the save problem need to calm down, this isn't a game you would want to reset. Overall the graphics are superb for a handheld, with some minor issues: some slowdown and a few blocky textures here and there. The controls are very intuitive and fluent. What's really nice is the ability to strafe while aiming (finally) and the option to aim in first-person view. If you are a 3DS owner looking for a fun and simple action-shooter, this is your best option at the time. Go pick this up and shoot some zombies... Expand
  31. Jul 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an addictive, fast-paced, brilliant looking game that although is lacking in length and content, definitely makes up in fun. I myself am not a great fan of the Resident Evil fan but did find this a truly brilliant gaming experience. This may just be a mini-game stretched out to a full retail release, but I feel this improves on that mini-game in bounds ad is a proper white knuckle ride. And it's the best-looking game for 3DS too! Expand
  32. Jul 5, 2011
    I also am giving this game a 10 to offset the idiots that gave the game a zero without even playing.

In my opinion this would be an 8 or a 9. This is a great game and worthy of a 3DS sale. There is plenty of content, despite what many have said. 30 standard missions, EX missions, unlockable skills and costumes and characters. This is a score chasers game, so if you go into it knowing

This is a score chasers game, so if you go into it knowing what to expect you will be happy with the game. It is a lot of fun, and the controls suit the 3DS well. You change weapon with the touch screen.

This is another must buy for the 3DS.
  33. Jul 1, 2011
  34. Jul 8, 2011
    Please note, this game is obviously first generation software. Is that a bad thing? Yes and no. Starting off with the positive, Capcom really succeeded in bringing the Mercenaries to 3DS. As a mini-game appearing in RE 4 and RE 5, they still managed to maintain the feel of the console counterparts. Which is fairly amazing, because both games appeared on pretty powerful machines. The enemyPlease note, this game is obviously first generation software. Is that a bad thing? Yes and no. Starting off with the positive, Capcom really succeeded in bringing the Mercenaries to 3DS. As a mini-game appearing in RE 4 and RE 5, they still managed to maintain the feel of the console counterparts. Which is fairly amazing, because both games appeared on pretty powerful machines. The enemy count is impressive, although there are minor problems like choppy animation in the distance and sometimes enemies will act quite dumb. Controls are smooth and because of it's score attack nature very addictive. People who played the Mercenaries on RE 4 and 5 will absolutely love it.

The thing is... it's clearly first generation software. While the core game is good fun, there could have been more content. Yes, the mission available have a pretty high replay value but it could have been more. More characters, (No Leon? Someone's skipping on the drinks again), more costumes, more abilities and levelgrowth, more areas, a better presentation with the menu etc. You just know Capcom will release The Mercenaries 3D 2 in the future with all of these features. And I'll buy it anyway :(

The core game is quite good. Content-wise, it's a bit meagre. But for a launch title? It's nice. If you like score attack games, you'll love it. And if you think Mercenaries in RE 4/5 is fantastic.
  35. Jul 11, 2011
    The game is just a revamped version of the merecenaries mode on resident evil 4 and 5. It is nothing fans of merecenaries mode have seen before. It is also worth mentioning the game;s save data cannot be deleted, evidence that Capcom doesn't want it to be resold. although you get to see your favorite resident evil heroes and baddies, there isn't as much content as would be expected of theThe game is just a revamped version of the merecenaries mode on resident evil 4 and 5. It is nothing fans of merecenaries mode have seen before. It is also worth mentioning the game;s save data cannot be deleted, evidence that Capcom doesn't want it to be resold. although you get to see your favorite resident evil heroes and baddies, there isn't as much content as would be expected of the series. But the game is still well worth looking into. Expand
  36. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is boring nothing like the other resident evil games. I mean is ok and for the price its at now. The main problem that i found was the clunky controls.
  37. Dec 13, 2011
    I think this game is actually pretty good. It is a lot of fun and has more depth than some critics say. The 3D effect is bad, but the gameplay is really awesome. I don't think the bad 3d effect is a big deal, because I see it as more of an extra feature. The game itself is fun and addictive and the graphics are quite good. It is not perfect but I think it is a great game.
  38. Nov 12, 2011
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is a very fun game, solo or co-op. If you're looking for a great online experience for the 3DS, this is a contender. The Co-Op mode is fun and surprisingly addictive, I highly recommend it if you can find it for a good price.
  39. Jul 11, 2014
    A truly arcade version of Resident Evil, almost looks like it was a port of 2000s arcade! There is almost no story here, just a bunch of random RE-style levels with waves of RE-style enemies. Game uses RE4-style controls allowing for quite dynamic and intense survival action, and if you do not expect actual RE experience here (this is a score attack game - again, there is no story!) andA truly arcade version of Resident Evil, almost looks like it was a port of 2000s arcade! There is almost no story here, just a bunch of random RE-style levels with waves of RE-style enemies. Game uses RE4-style controls allowing for quite dynamic and intense survival action, and if you do not expect actual RE experience here (this is a score attack game - again, there is no story!) and like the RE spinoffs (like light gun shooters), you will have a great time playing The Mercenaries. There is a ton of skills and character/map combination, so replay value is quite high. And there is more - playing with a friend is strongly recommended on later stages. Not for the faint of heart or perfectionists, controls may be a pain sometimes, but overall a solid arcade-style package that works great on a handheld. And nowadays quite cheap too! Expand
  40. Jun 12, 2013
    "DRM killed the video game star"

Capcom better learn from this and not enforce this type of thing upon gamers.
    I realize they are trying to kill the used game market, but this isn't fair to consumers.

My friend played the game for a bit without me knowing and when I went to play it I couldn't delete the game save and start over. This is BS!
  41. May 4, 2013
    No plot to speak of, and things can get monotonous fast as you spend hours killing enemies over dull levels. However the combat itself is actually quite a lot of fun most of the time, and provided you can find someone to play with online really saves this game. Shame there are no on-line leader boards.
  42. Oct 10, 2011
    This game is very fun once you turn it on u jump into to the fast paced action killing and slicing zombies the graphics are very nice and they could have had more effort put into it. there are only 2 problems with this game 1. this game has no story just killing zombies before time runs out (still pretty fun though). and 2. i s that it lacks content a bit more content like more modes orThis game is very fun once you turn it on u jump into to the fast paced action killing and slicing zombies the graphics are very nice and they could have had more effort put into it. there are only 2 problems with this game 1. this game has no story just killing zombies before time runs out (still pretty fun though). and 2. i s that it lacks content a bit more content like more modes or more costumes would have given this game a 80 at least. this game is still a must buy because it has some replay value like going back and beating your time or unlocking stuff Expand
  43. Dec 11, 2012
    I always really enjoyed The Mercenaries minigame for Resident Evil, especially 4. So when I saw this for 15 bucks, I figured it was worth a shot despite the score. After playing it for a few weeks, I think people are being far too critical. It's exactly what it says on the tin: The Mercenaries. There are more characters, more weapons, upgradeable skills...if you wanted TM with bells andI always really enjoyed The Mercenaries minigame for Resident Evil, especially 4. So when I saw this for 15 bucks, I figured it was worth a shot despite the score. After playing it for a few weeks, I think people are being far too critical. It's exactly what it says on the tin: The Mercenaries. There are more characters, more weapons, upgradeable skills...if you wanted TM with bells and whistles, you got it. As for negatives, I have to ding it a point or two for the "boss" fights. They're pretty boring and frustrating, but luckily there are very few. Also when enemies are a long distance away and running, their movement animations get a bit wonky, but that's a minor complaint. Also could do without the voiceover at the beginning of every single mission. BUT. Overall, this game is a solid 7. It's fun to play and great if you enjoy The Mercenaries. Get it cheap and you'll be satisfied with it! Expand
  44. Feb 12, 2012
    Take away the story mode, and it's Resident Evil 5's Mercenary mode, with a few new features, and a few new problems. The problems consist of control issues and camera glitches. None of the control schemes are perfect; they all have small issues, it's just a matter of what issues you are willing to deal with the most. And when your character is backed up against the wall while usingTake away the story mode, and it's Resident Evil 5's Mercenary mode, with a few new features, and a few new problems. The problems consist of control issues and camera glitches. None of the control schemes are perfect; they all have small issues, it's just a matter of what issues you are willing to deal with the most. And when your character is backed up against the wall while using third person view, the camera dips down, facing the floor. However switching to FPV solves the problem. This game is far from perfect. There are a few problems I think Capcom could have easily fixed, and a few more features they could have added. But these things were easily ignored. I still found myself very involved with this game. It's one of those games that I can play for an unmarked amount of time, due to it's high replay value. Yeah, it's true that a lot of these review websites give it a bad score, and because of this, many independent reviewers like you and me might jump on the band wagon and find reasons to make this game look bad. I'll put it to you this way: Out of 15 Gamestop locations in my area, I was able to find ONE copy of this game in ONE Gamestop. So obviously, 3DS owners are holding on to this game for a good reason. Take my word for it. This is a must-have for the 3DS if you are a military shooter/action gamer, along with Resident Evil Revelations, and MGS Snake Eater. Expand
  45. Mar 12, 2013
    For $20 (US) you get a lot of bang for your buck. The pick up and play nature is great fun, and although this is a lot more running-and-gunning than I am used to in Resident Evil, the slow pace of the game adds to the high tension and excitement. Plenty of different characters and levels if you are a completionist or a high-score chaser, this is great fun. Online and local multiplayer toFor $20 (US) you get a lot of bang for your buck. The pick up and play nature is great fun, and although this is a lot more running-and-gunning than I am used to in Resident Evil, the slow pace of the game adds to the high tension and excitement. Plenty of different characters and levels if you are a completionist or a high-score chaser, this is great fun. Online and local multiplayer to boot! The game also looks and sounds fantastic far better than any other game I have seen on the 3DS.

If you are looking to pull the trigger on a downloadable game, this is definitely the one to do so.
  46. Mar 9, 2012
    I'm writing this review on the basis that I got it for just £15.00 and it is now available for £10 or less if you are lucky. The game has a decent amount of content and replayability. The gameplay is fun and great for both at home and online or out and about. The levels range from short minute-long affairs to huge 20+ minute wave after wave games gettingI'm writing this review on the basis that I got it for just £15.00 and it is now available for £10 or less if you are lucky. The game has a decent amount of content and replayability. The gameplay is fun and great for both at home and online or out and about. The levels range from short minute-long affairs to huge 20+ minute wave after wave games getting progressively harder and harder. You have a few different ways to play depending on what suits you best. You can choose your favourite character and unlock weapons and set ups for that character based on the other characters set of weapons and equipment. There is a good range of enemies which all behave and fight differently. There are also different tiers of enemies including regular footsoldiers, tanks and specialists (such as chainsaw users which are hard to kill). On some missions you must fight a boss battle too.

Graphics: 9/10 - The frame rate of the enemies in distance is downscaled a bit to save on performance, but the textures, models and environments look amazing for the 3DS.
    Gameplay: 8/10 - The gameplay is fun and long lasting, replayable and even better with a friend online or in local wireless. It may get stale after a while, but you can always remedy that by trying a different set of weapons and skills.

So if you are hesitant whether or not to drop £10-15 on this game and like shooters, zombies, guns and time trails/wave after wave style fights, go for it.
  47. Jun 1, 2013
    They is a lot of hate to capcom because as you can see they only are
    milking re games now and they not fun just stuidp.
    Same as 360 I mean wow so what? who cares? simple its the same game xD For people giveing this game a score of 10 for no reason at all makes you a tard xD Ok so we already got this game on 360 of re5 and 4 so why did they make another on 3ds? Maybe they broke
    They is a lot of hate to capcom because as you can see they only are
    milking re games now and they not fun just stuidp.

Same as 360 I mean wow so what? who cares? simple its the same game xD

Maybe they broke on cash and need to spam same games on consoles.

The game has many levels but all on all you can't make your own levels thats a pity or have brand new ones but Capcom wanted to spam the same crap levels on this game it disspoints me.

And annoying lag here is when you make a game the game sometimes dies saying your connection is lost then you start over again meaning you lost your points that I find annoying when time is about 10 seconds left and boom connection goes.

Well for me this game is just another wasted lifetime if you get it as they is only 1 save file too damn you Capcom for doing this, I want to have slots to save on or something but only 1 slot is not good enough.

Capcom learn your lesson please as the fans hate this game, the weapon loadout is pointless if only you can edit your OWN weapon loadout too so you can pick what you have instead picking the already made up list.

Oh well you will like this game or not for me I think it's more bride with Capcom fans to loose money out just a copy guys lets leave it as that.
  48. Sep 12, 2013
    Really fun game. Sometimes I felt like I was the only one on the internet who likes this game. But the voices though are HORRIBLE. I don't why people hate this game. Score: 3/5.
  49. Dec 8, 2014
    The Mercenaries 3D is a simple action game based on the mercenaries mode from RE4 and RE5. Graphics are some of the best on the system and the handling is similar to RE4 on Gamecube. There isn't a lot of depth and it desperately needs more characters and stages but it's still a lot of fun to play and has great replay value.
  50. Apr 15, 2015
    At the beginning I was just thinking. An iteration to get money before Resident Evil Revelations. And that is what it feels. I felt why did I waste my money? but, later on, I actually got into the game and it is actually addictive. This game only makes sense to wait for Revelations.

1. Dec 19, 2011
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is a fantastic experience...while it lasts. Sadly, as with other impressive titles such as Nintendo's own Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver, Capcom has delivered a high quality product with plenty of thrills and spills, but lacking in the vital longevity stakes for anyone other than die-hard score chasers.
  2. Oct 19, 2011
    A boring minigame stretched to full lenght boots. The idea should have been scrapped at the development table. [Sept 2011]
  3. Oct 7, 2011
    A disappointment. The game seems like a test project on the 3DS for Capcom with the end goal of checking how the engine works on the 3DS hardware.