Ridge Racer 3D 3DS

7.2

1. Jun 7, 2012
    Despite the lack of online multiplayer which was slightly disheartening, the game as a single player, 3D racing experience holds up extremely well and shows us what ridge racer is supposed to be. Despite recycled content and a HUD style clearly ripped right out of 'ridge racer 7', the core gameplay is fantastic and still as insane as you'd expect from the franchise. Drifting round cornersDespite the lack of online multiplayer which was slightly disheartening, the game as a single player, 3D racing experience holds up extremely well and shows us what ridge racer is supposed to be. Despite recycled content and a HUD style clearly ripped right out of 'ridge racer 7', the core gameplay is fantastic and still as insane as you'd expect from the franchise. Drifting round corners at 300km/h whilst amazingly staying with all 4 wheels planted on the ground. The visuals help create the feeling of speed too, with the tail lights streaking behind you and the second or so of motion blur as you start up your nitrous. Some textures are disappointing, however the 3D more than makes up for it, that extra dimension adds whole new tactics as to 'when do I utilize the drift' as well as looking amazing. The 3D is one of the things the game does best, which is good as it was a launch title. Pros:
    - Best 3D racing experience on the 3DS
    - Great sense of speed
    - Holds the legacy of Ridge Racer up high

Cons:
    - Heavily recycled content
    - Some poor textures
    - Occasional FPS drops
  2. Apr 26, 2011
    The game as a whole feels fairly rushed. The 3D is nice and looks good, and the car models look nice, some of the effects leave alot to be desired. Your car is the same brightness in sunlight and shadow and relfective surfaces are really blocky. I expect a little bit more from the 3DS. The handling is really weird. Instead of the wheels moving the vehicle like in most racing games, the carThe game as a whole feels fairly rushed. The 3D is nice and looks good, and the car models look nice, some of the effects leave alot to be desired. Your car is the same brightness in sunlight and shadow and relfective surfaces are really blocky. I expect a little bit more from the 3DS. The handling is really weird. Instead of the wheels moving the vehicle like in most racing games, the car simply moves forward in space. There are little physics effects and any time you get some air it feels scripted. Running into a wall or griding on a wall moves the camera back and forth in a jittery motion, while also allowing you to continue driving with little speed loss. You can't really crash and you can't even budge other cars, which is a must for driving games in this day and age. Drifting is wonky as well. When you drift, you simply turn faster and your car and camera change direction and add skid effects. You can drift right and immediately turn left afterwards, even though your car is still facing right. If you're expecting a Need For Speed or Burnout type game, prepare to be disappointed. Prepare to be disappointed if you're looking for a good arcade racing game too.
    What i did like was the Slipstream, which allows you to draft other racers and adds a level of complexity when racing; you don't want be directly in front of someone. The Nitrous is a nice touch. You can choose a type of nitrous and they all add variations on the best way to use it. The only problem is that a double nitrous never really feels like a double. They all feel like the same sort of boost.
    All in all, a decent game, but it lacks polish.
  3. Dec 13, 2011
    This game is Ok, but not amazing in my mind. The graphics are not bad, but the gameplay is a little lacking. The gameplay gets a little repetitive at times, it is still fun don't get me wrong but not the best game the 3DS has to offer. I think Mario Kart 7 is a better racing game for the 3DS and if Mario Kart would have been available at the same time as Ridge Racer 3D, I would haveThis game is Ok, but not amazing in my mind. The graphics are not bad, but the gameplay is a little lacking. The gameplay gets a little repetitive at times, it is still fun don't get me wrong but not the best game the 3DS has to offer. I think Mario Kart 7 is a better racing game for the 3DS and if Mario Kart would have been available at the same time as Ridge Racer 3D, I would have probably not bought this game at all. Expand
  4. May 10, 2011
    You want to to be a RR fanatic to enjoy this one. I can't believe people are claiming the graphics are spectacular... the polygons are tight but BRUTALLY pixelated. You race the same characters over and over and over and over and there aren't all that aren't many tracks, it starts to become work pretty soon. Drifting is the only thing that seems to unique from a point-and-race perspective,You want to to be a RR fanatic to enjoy this one. I can't believe people are claiming the graphics are spectacular... the polygons are tight but BRUTALLY pixelated. You race the same characters over and over and over and over and there aren't all that aren't many tracks, it starts to become work pretty soon. Drifting is the only thing that seems to unique from a point-and-race perspective, and other than that it's just boring racing. Over and over. No damage, no crashes, no real short-cuts, no happenings of any kind. Predetermined paint jobs in predetermined color schemes. I will now list the entire customization tree for all the cars: 3 stages of speed. That's it. Oh unless you count cycles the way your nitrous charges... while you drift. I know we don't get licensed cars in RR, but it would at least give us something to look forward to. The use of 3D is the biggest perk, but it's only because it's the racing genre, it works well with it, all the racing games will look as if you are advancing down the road. This is not as great a launch game as it's being heralded as, unless I am missing something RR fanatics have got.... It may be the 4th or 5th best launch title because of the lack of launch titles, but now that it's May, just buy Dream Trigger or Shadow Wars or SSFIV3D and wait for the NFS game to quell your racing needs.

It is Lunacy that someone claimed these graphics are comparable to a PS3 game in an earlier review by the way, absolute craziness!
  5. Aug 2, 2011
    To call Ridge Racer 3D a racing game is a bit misleading, it would be far better labeled as a 'car chase' game. At the start of each race the player's car starts on the start line, with the opponants spread across the first quarter of the track. The task at hand over the next three laps is to catch up with and overtake the other seven racers. while quite fun, its not what i expected, andTo call Ridge Racer 3D a racing game is a bit misleading, it would be far better labeled as a 'car chase' game. At the start of each race the player's car starts on the start line, with the opponants spread across the first quarter of the track. The task at hand over the next three laps is to catch up with and overtake the other seven racers. while quite fun, its not what i expected, and not the only problem the game suffers with. The game suffers from a lot of rubber banding, meaning when the game allows the AI to bend or break the rules (top speed, number of nitro boosts, cornering lines etc) in order to increase the 'challenge'. I first encountered this with the f-zero series, but at least in f-zero you start level pegging on a grid. Finally, the steering and drifting system is ludicrus. As any good driver knows, the best way to regain control from a skid is to ease off the gas, but here letting up the power for even a moment is how you start to drift. worse than that, dispite a skid turning you beyond 90º from your direction of travel, regaining control is not only easy, but practically inevitable. The driving physics of this game really need a lot of work, which is a terrible shame for a driving game.

graphics on the other hand, are very pretty, the music is nice, and the sound effects fitting. However the commentator lady spouts useless drivel constantly, and there is no option to turn her off (not while keeping the rest of the sound anyway).

The 3D is definatly the best feature, in that it makes it easy to judge distance and turns.

Overall its not a bad game, but it does feel like an upgraded tech demo.
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    the game is good, but lacks what ridge racer on other consoles has. the graphics are also very muddy in an attempt to allow for the 3d effect or to get ready for launch day. it lacks any real tuning, the insane custimisation options of recent ridge racers, amount of content, and feels like it could do with some online racing. the single player mode feels quite odd, as the races don'tthe game is good, but lacks what ridge racer on other consoles has. the graphics are also very muddy in an attempt to allow for the 3d effect or to get ready for launch day. it lacks any real tuning, the insane custimisation options of recent ridge racers, amount of content, and feels like it could do with some online racing. the single player mode feels quite odd, as the races don't really feel like racing in a sense, more gunning after each car in front, and trying to get a good time rather than overtaking. good gameplay compensates for some of this, but like your parents, i'm not angry, i'm a bit dissapointed. the gameplay is good, but lack of features make this a bit of a flat experience, and no matter how awesome the tracks and gameplay is, it should simply have more, and the 3ds is capable of more. overrall, it is good, but still feels rushed beyond belief. Expand
  7. Apr 26, 2011
    I would give Ridge Racer on 3DS a great score but it keeps giving me a headache when i play it. I bought it thinking it would be a great showcase for 3d but it keeps giving me a headache. you can turn the 3d off but this diminishes the effect of playing it in 3d. it has decent graphics. fun music but if your looking for a really great game this isn't the one in my opinion.I would give Ridge Racer on 3DS a great score but it keeps giving me a headache when i play it. I bought it thinking it would be a great showcase for 3d but it keeps giving me a headache. you can turn the 3d off but this diminishes the effect of playing it in 3d. it has decent graphics. fun music but if your looking for a really great game this isn't the one in my opinion. sometimes also its hard to follow the 3d flow onscreen. if it wasn't for the relatively bad headache this causes i wouldn't rate it so low but its the only game on 3DS so far that has done this to me and i own PWR and SSF4....and they don't do this. Expand
  8. Jan 18, 2013
    Ridge Racer 3D is a good racing game for the 3DS however, it does feel rushed e.g. the graphics could have been better and other small things could have been changed to make the whole game feel and look better.
  9. Jan 7, 2013
    This game is only good, but nothing great or awful. The graphics and 3D are nice, and the sense of speed is awesome. Single player is pretty deep with many modes and unlockable cars. Gameplay is at Ridge Racer's arcade-style best with the crazy drifting it's known for (those that criticize the drifting simply don't know RR's handling). The music is great with some cool tunes, the originalThis game is only good, but nothing great or awful. The graphics and 3D are nice, and the sense of speed is awesome. Single player is pretty deep with many modes and unlockable cars. Gameplay is at Ridge Racer's arcade-style best with the crazy drifting it's known for (those that criticize the drifting simply don't know RR's handling). The music is great with some cool tunes, the original Ridge Racer theme, and some Pac-Man remixes. The track selection is varied with their many different layouts. Some downsides did weigh this game down a bit, though. There is no online, which makes the multiplayer weak. The AI does rubber -band in boss battles where I couldn't distance myself, and in races where they speed up immediately and bump you mercilessly. The announcer woman, while I do praise her enthusiasm, gets fairly annoying at times. The frame rate also suffered at times in the racing. A good racer for the 3DS that does feel slightly rushed, but nowhere near the Vita version in those regards. 7.3/10 Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 20, 2011
    Ridge Racer 3D is a fast and relaxed arcade racer, but the cars and tracks are much prettier on big consoles. [May 2011]
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    Arcade-racing fans should take a look at Ridge Racer 3D. The game is funny, challenging and a real arcade-racing game with the good old Ridge Racer features & sounds.
  3. May 25, 2011
    There's fun to be had with Ridge Racer 3D, and it's a decent showcase of what the 3DS can do. There's room for improvement but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it. We'd definitely recommend it to fans of the series and newcomers alike.