Shin Megami Tensei IV 3DS

• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Jul 16, 2013
8.3

1. Jul 18, 2013
    I am 7 hours into the game and I am still not sure what the point is. Are the demons making a come back? The characters on the other hand are very fun and lead the story along very nicely. The battle system is a bit complicated and feels over done, but once you get used to it you begin to enjoy it a lot. Capturing demons is horrible and the worst feature of the game, "stop stealing myI am 7 hours into the game and I am still not sure what the point is. Are the demons making a come back? The characters on the other hand are very fun and lead the story along very nicely. The battle system is a bit complicated and feels over done, but once you get used to it you begin to enjoy it a lot. Capturing demons is horrible and the worst feature of the game, "stop stealing my stuff demons!!" I am enjoying this game so far and it will hopefully continue to improve as I grow used to the SMT mechanics. I recommend giving this game a go if you can get it on sale as I did. $20 after the $30 rebate, already had Fire Emblem. I would not pay $50 for it though. Expand
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    There are comparisons out there between Pokemon and SMT. I can understand the comparisons to a certain degree, and as someone who had not played a SMT game before this one, I consider their similarities to be limited. In Pokemon, you recruit a team that you develop and strengthen, choosing your strengths and weaknesses explicitly. In SMT, you recruit demons, which you subsequently fuseThere are comparisons out there between Pokemon and SMT. I can understand the comparisons to a certain degree, and as someone who had not played a SMT game before this one, I consider their similarities to be limited. In Pokemon, you recruit a team that you develop and strengthen, choosing your strengths and weaknesses explicitly. In SMT, you recruit demons, which you subsequently fuse into other demons. There is no demon that you can keep with you from beginning to end- this game is not meant for that. As for strengths and weaknesses, you can take steps in this game to eliminate almost all weaknesses. What I mean is this: by the end of the game, all my demons were almost clone copies of each other. The most effective strategy involves trying to give as many of your demons as many different elemental attacks as possible so you can abuse the system to get as many attacks as you can. So I had multiple demons all with Cold, Fire, Lightning, etc.-based attacks so that they could be effective against any enemy. When I fused a cool demon, it was sad knowing that he would be useless in 3 levels and I would just fuse him into another demon, who may or may not resemble anything from a children’s toy to a geographic landmark. The evolutions that are available in the game are somewhat exciting, but they’re rare to find, and the evolutions don’t always make sense. The story in the game is fairly lackluster, and I really disliked having to navigate myself through Tokyo on my own. You have to remember where all the locations are, and even then- the quests have a way of not letting you know exactly where you need to be. I spent a good deal of time lost and having to look up guides online to see where I needed to go next. Overall, my experience with this game was fairly negative- the unique combat system was interesting, but it was also repetitive. Fusing demons was cool when you got cool demons, but most of the time the best demons were ridiculous-looking. I’d have been better off replaying Fire Emblem. Expand
  3. May 27, 2014
    Being a European, I have not been able to play this game yet, and knowing Atlus, I never will, however, to avoid missing out I watched many YouTube clips of the game, and in my opinion it is one of the best Pokemon games yet, the game begins with you playing as an anime who has became a pokemon man, and the female protagonist of another Pokemon Strange Journey has started to turn everyoneBeing a European, I have not been able to play this game yet, and knowing Atlus, I never will, however, to avoid missing out I watched many YouTube clips of the game, and in my opinion it is one of the best Pokemon games yet, the game begins with you playing as an anime who has became a pokemon man, and the female protagonist of another Pokemon Strange Journey has started to turn everyone into Europeans, meaning you must stop female protagonist of Strange Journey from making more Europeans, because if you don't, Atlus will have to eventually release the game for PAL territories.

The game has the good old Law and Chaos paths instead of the whiny Emo Reasons that the antagonists in the game had, apart from Hikawa, he was cool.
    The Chaos path has you side with the evil Europe fanbase as you set out to destroy the the NA region.
    The Law path however has you side with the NA and wipe Europe out, then everyone is happy and plays Persona 4 area.
    I decided to watch the Chaos ending myself.

Not as good as Persona 2, that one had Hitler in it, other than that Chie is best girl and you're waifu sucks and Europe does not exist.
    I give it a six.
  4. Jul 25, 2014
    Only for fans. That's the sad truth of this game. And even then, only Hardcore Fans will find this game suitable to their tastes. As it is quite difficult to do anything. Earn money, "macca" is so difficult that you need the DLC to grind money, and even then, it's not a mission that can be done early in the game, you have to advance quite a bit to be able to beat the enemies that drop theOnly for fans. That's the sad truth of this game. And even then, only Hardcore Fans will find this game suitable to their tastes. As it is quite difficult to do anything. Earn money, "macca" is so difficult that you need the DLC to grind money, and even then, it's not a mission that can be done early in the game, you have to advance quite a bit to be able to beat the enemies that drop the items to sell.

leveling up is also difficult, and there's DLC for it as well. And for app points as well. Seems like you can circumvent the difficulty of the game after you play for well over 10 hours. Leveling to 10 or 20 isn't easy. As even level 1 demons can kill your level 14 special fusion demon. Kind of ... weird, considering it is an RPG where being high level should yield more damage against low level enemies and the low level enemies doing less damage to you, which isn't true in this game.

defeating an enemy 1 level ahead of you isn't going to give a lot of experience, as it should, it all depends on where in the cave you are. And you are told to grind for levels everywhere you can, which is kind of boring, after doing so more than 3 times in two floors apart from where you started.

The above points will no doubt make new players of the series stop playing completely, as a single demon with multi strike can kill off the entire party, even at full health, if you are caught by surprise. Those points prove that only die hard fans or hardcore fans will stick with the game and finish it.
  5. Jun 28, 2016
    At about 15 hours into this game, I'm not sure if its worth continuing. The visuals and the atmosphere of this game are nailed perfectly. The combat system is simple turn based RPG fair which I expected going into it. However, its too much rock paper scissors with very little strategy involved. The real challenge in this game is keeping your Demons alive with the over powered encountersAt about 15 hours into this game, I'm not sure if its worth continuing. The visuals and the atmosphere of this game are nailed perfectly. The combat system is simple turn based RPG fair which I expected going into it. However, its too much rock paper scissors with very little strategy involved. The real challenge in this game is keeping your Demons alive with the over powered encounters and bosses. Luckily, unlike most RPGs you can visibly see the enemies and proactively ignore them if you want. When the game finally opens up from its introduction, is when it takes a huge leap forward with many alternate paths. However, getting past the difficult early part of the game left a sour taste in my mouth.

The catch to this game that's supposed to separate it from other RPGs is the demon recruiting and fusing process.

Recruiting is interesting giving a risk vs. reward dynamic. Failure to choose the correct dialogue options will skip to your turn and potentially leave to your team taking loads of damage. Successfully recruiting a demon, gave me an adrenaline rush especially when receiving a Mecca and/or other gifts in return. You can unlock perks to improve this process (which I recommend).

Fusing demons is addictive. Though the more I dove into this game, the more this one glaring problem was made evident. The demons are not UNIQUE enough. Pokemon for instance has HUNDREDS at this point and manages to make them all feel unique with movesets, abilities, and typings. SMT4 feels like a step back from the Pokemon series. With Demons recycling the same moves and unnoticeable improvements from fusions.

The story does save the game. If you like dark, gritty, and engaging story and characters this game does shine. The characters are all fully voiced all with distinct and interesting personalities and goals. There are different endings based on the choices you make in the story. I have yet to complete the game but I can already see the various paths you can go to have a profound effect on the story.

Overall, this is a good game but its combat system doesn't offer anything unique or different from other RPGs since the SNES. I may finish SMT4 for the story but the high difficulty curve and generic combat is keeping me from continuing at this pint.

1. Jan 23, 2015
    The combat system, character development and demons are a great evolution from previous games, but graphics needs some improvement.
  2. Jan 8, 2015
    An incredibly in-depth RPG that should result in no two players having a similar run-through. [Issue#156, p.122]
  3. Jan 4, 2015
    It keeps some of the best aspects of the series, while adding new and always welcome content. The game's pace keeps the player interested non-stop and its overall quality redeems Shin Megami Tensei IV from the late European release.