• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2011
7.1

1. Nov 28, 2011
    Casual players need not apply, nor buy this game. If you are looking for a rough game that requires dedication and perseverance--this may be a game for you. I found the visuals quite attractive and that they worked well with the 3D without any framerate issues. The story is fairly forgettable, but that's kind of how shinobi has been raised over the years. The difficulty comes in both quick reflexes as well as memory--you will need to play levels multiple times in order to beat them. You will also need to learn the buttons quite well in order to have the reflexes timed just right and practice practice practice. Even on the easy difficulty this game will still challenge you.

2 issues that I have found that I am a bit frustrated and disappointed in are:
    --Cutscenes are not in 3D--for whatever reason all the game play is in 3D but where most games shine in 3D is the cutscenes and this one basically tossed them aside for your usual 2D comic cutscenes.

--StreetPass challenges---these things are for those that are really looking for a challenge. Good luck finding anyone to test your best completion times and score--you probably won't find many people that even bother completeing them as they are just tough as nails. I have not completed the game yet, but plan to do so when I have some time to really spend with it. This is not a game you can recommend to everyone--but if you want to be a virtual ninja master--this game will test your skills.
  2. Dec 19, 2011
    Good game, excelent gameplay. Very good ideas in game. Reutilization of some of better ideas in the serie. But a game with a very high dificult. This make the the life of the game long. But it can piss off you too.
    The game have many unlockable: characters, weapons, musics, stages. And have a ranking system for the stages you have played. To a action game, no bad. If you dont scare
    yourself with hard games, can go for it. Expand
  3. Nov 30, 2011
    I enjoyed the time that I had with this game, but the second half is where the game takes a turn for the worse. Wanna know why? Watch my review to find out!

4. Dec 3, 2011
    I am a big fan of the shinobi series. But let's face it, it hasn't had any good installments since the Genesis days. It's a hardcore game to the max, filled with crazy platforming, some insane punishments, which is trademark of the old school games in the past. I actually died at least 200 times even in the beginner difficulty! Casual gamers beware!
  5. Dec 1, 2011
    Probably this game has no good grafics, but this is a very good game, it´s the classical Shinobi, with a lot of things to do. This game need some dedication because it´s very difficult, but it gives you a lot of fun.
  6. Dec 12, 2011
    Excellent side scrolling Ninja platformer thats hard as nails and true to the original Shinobi games with stylised graphics...very enjoyable game with lots of awards and unlockables
  7. May 31, 2012
    It's hard make no mistake about that - but it's not ghosts and goblins hard. Yet, the difficult is part of the attraction as well. Sure you might die plenty of times trying to complete a level and at times frustration may get the better of you.

However, unlike many games the more you play this one the more you learn. And as you learn you develop the skills necessary to complete the
    levels. And trust me, when you do complete a level you feel a sense of achievement because unlike a lot of games - you really earn it.

So Forget the crap scores given by magazine reviews. Those clowns are faced with time constraints and as such cannot give brilliant games such as Shinobi the time they need.

Anyone that liked previous Shinobi games should get this and anyone that likes a challenge should also grab a copy.

Those who think playing The Sims makes them hardcore should probably look elsewhere
  8. May 14, 2012
    Well what can i say about shinobi on 3DS.....

its tough as old boots but were there is frustration there is reward to.

Game offers story mode, extras such as music player/ art gallery/ practice dojo / shinodi replay - give you ability to record your playthrough and watch them back. Also stacks of unlockables like extra characters, weapons, special cheats that you use in free play. Game
    also uses streetpass and there are 13 challenge levels to unlock via play coins or passing someone else who has game. These challenge levels are one hit deaths and are cruel and require ninja reflex's to complete. Graphics are cel-shaded but i quite like them and there is voice acting and 2D comic cut-scenes through out which really cool but why they weren't 3D is anyones guest? Also this isn't game for casual crowd it cant just be completed it hard and i really do mean that. But like wise ninja once said " taking you time and moving like ninja is hard but practices and patience is the key!!! :D Expand
  9. Apr 29, 2012
    To anyone that loves challenging old school game play, than you will love this game. For people who would rather play Barbie Horse adventures 3D, then this may not be for you. Although the graphics aren't superb, the art style more than makes up for it and succeeds the majority of the time with a few of the levels looking a little drab. However, this is all made up for by the excellent controls and slick gameplay, and the controls are never to blame for your deaths, although it should be noted that you will occasionally suffer from cheap pitfalls. This is the kind of game where you will die like crazy, but with every death you learn just a little more which will help carry you through on your next life, which makes the game very difficult but at the same time not too frustrating (aside from the aforementioned pitfalls), but also extremely rewarding. This is a great old school game if you are up for the challenge. Expand
  10. Feb 17, 2014
    I really want to give this game a high score and I really couldn't wait to get it, it being the first 3DS game I bought, right after getting a 3DS, but I can't.
    That being said, I must admit to two things: first of all, I expected this game to be Shinobi III-2, but it is rather Revenge of Shinobi 1,5 3D + Slash Attacks, Free Useless Parry Mechanic Included. Second of all, I don't like
    this way of directing, because personally I think is wrong and it boxes the player. I'll elaborate further.
    My first and main problem with this game: it didn't make me feel like a ninja. I can't help but compare it with Shinobi III, which is one of my most favored games of all time, but for good reason - in Shinobi 3, if you die, you die because you are not ninja enough. That's it. In Shinobi 3DS you die whenever you don't play the game however the director wanted you to play it - and it has nothing to do with any of the previous games at all (though it's most reminiscent of Revenge of Shinobi, as stated above, but only in the way of Revenge being somewhat slower than the others). In this case - I say "Don't brake what isn't broken", though I'm not a fan of this practice. Inovation is one thing, breaking a franchise - another.
    That being said, the game doesn't look that great either. The graphics are all pixelated (though it's an early 3DS game, I can't help but feel it was being made for the DS, then they suddeny just added some 3D to charge more), some parts of the game look really well and have actually inspired designs, others are generic and forgetable, but let's not push ourselves - The Shinobi series isn't known for benchmark designs. The 3D effects on the 3DS have their moments, but overall - not worth the headache.
    One thing that did make a really positive impression on me was the OST. It got me really pumped at times and I overall enjoyed it, I'd even buy it. Probably the high point of the game.
    The story in this game aims too high and falls flat. It's told through cheaply done cutscenes, some of which look really awesome and stylish, and others - bland and unfinished. The plot tries to introduce us to characters we don't care about, and ultimately - to characters that it doesn't need at all. In the end it wants to make this game's story a "revelation" to the series, but it just ends up looking overglorified. Overall - this segment prooves that this game was very rushed and needed a lot more work.
    Although I trust that is the case, I must hand it to the people for putting some polish in - loads of unlockables - weapons, costumes, also challanges and even some history for the other games. Good stuff, really.
    And I come back to the gameplay. As I have stated in my introduction, I don't like the overall direction this game went - it tried to change the gameplay for no reason, ending up overcomplicating it, it made it slow and somehow managed to ruin the platforming, making it very unprecise. My biggest complaint is that a Musashi - a Shinobi, a ninja, can't run. There is even a segment in the game in which the game tells you "RUN" as if you have any option of such, only for it to mean "Be careful not to execute every following move perfectly or you will die" - not equal to run! My other main complaint is the Parry mechanic, which sometimes looks cool and sounds like a good idea, but ends up being annoying, because the developers want you to use it badly, and if you don't - you die. In Shinobi 3, again, you have options - to plow through enemies, running and dive-kicking, or to be slow and patient, or to mix the two. In this game, you must parry certain attacks, or there is no getting through the game. Even the last boss is nothing more than a parry fest mixed in with a waiting game. Which brings me to my conclusion - this game isn't challanging. In just a few minutes it has you - the player, boxed in it's own world, playing by it's own rules, and if you don't like them - you can't play together anymore. It doesn't challange your skills, your creativity or your ninja reflexes - everything is blatantly obvious, especially the boss fights, which sound awesome as ideas, but end up being boring, because they are way too easy. Main point: this game doesn't make you feel like a ninja.
    Sure, there is lots of replay value if you happen to like this particular way of gameplay, but if you don't - you simply go to the 3DS e-shop and download Shinobi III 3D, because it's cheaper and better. You need just a slightly better soundtrack to boot. I can think of a thousand different ways to make this game better, but the sad fact is that this game, combined with the two PS2 games, are the three main reasons the Shinobi franchise is probably dead forever now, and I'm very sad about that, because Joe Musashi's place isn't in Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed, it's as "... a man running in the darkness - he will be a shadow. He will be a Shinobi.".

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Recommended for those who like side-scrolling action games and for those who miss the 16-bits era.
  2. Jan 24, 2012
    Shinobi is a great game with tons to do. Some of the old-school elements are sure to turn many players off, but if you can surmount the steep difficulty curve, there is a substantial amount of satisfying gameplay to be found. Those who want a cohesive narrative or who can't afford to endure a few hours of frustration should look elsewhere, but those who can make it past the hump can wring out a lot of fun.
    Shinobi is far from a game for the general public, the game is "old school", designed to recreate the feeling that the original brought.