6.6

1. Nov 23, 2011
    I liked it a lot once you get use to it. The only real complaint I have is that the classic sonic roll and modern sonic skid are not matched to a single button. Instead of just pressing Y to roll or X to Skid you have to press down and press b which doesn't always work. That is very disappointing and upsets the whole of the game so instead of marking 1 point off for graphics and level design I am marking 2 off. Fun game but not worthy of 40 dollars. Maybe 30. Expand
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    During all the hype for Generations this one never caught my eye. Eventually I bought it as a time consumer. I was wondering if this game'd be a timeless classic, or if it should be erased from Sonic's history...terrible puns aside it's a mixed bag. Let's start off with how the Sonics control. Modern Sonic is prettymuch the same as in Colours 3DS with his boosting, sliding, homing attacks and stomping. Only real difference is that instead of spindashing by pressing down, he does the slide instead. Classic Sonic is a huge improvement from what Dimps gave us in Sonic 4. The physics are actually pretty decent...except the rolling. It still tends to slow you down. Which wouldn't be a problem if stages like Mushroom Hill which I'm used to rolling in weren't direct copies from the Genesis games. Overall, control isn't bad. Classic feel is there, but not perfect.

Now onto their stage choice. I have no complaints with the lineup, Genesis sports Green Hill, Casino Night and Mushroom Hilll, Dreamcast brings Emerald Coast and Radical Highway and Modern gives us Water Palace and Tropical Resort. The classic stages (as Classic Sonic) are all direct copies from their original games. Make of that what you will. I recognise it as lazy, but tbh I don't care. Why fix what isn't broken after all? As Modern Sonic the stages are typical linear pathways you boost your way down with occasional platforming. Early on, it feels like one of those poorly made platformers you find being shown off on Youtube. Granted, it did improve as the game went on but levels like Emerald Coast were awful. Post Genesis era, I was curious what Dimps would do since they could hardly make the levels designed around homing attack chains and such. Their response? Give Classic Sonic a homing attack! I really do not think he needs it (nor should have it, Homing attacks are Modern Sonic's forte) but meh whatever. A couple of classic stages are overloaded with boost pads and homing attack chains. Sound familiar? But granted there are some pretty good original classic stages such as Water Palace and Emerald Coast. And there are a handful of good Modern stages like Tropical resort and Water Palace (again). And that's prettymuch all I have to say about the stages.

Next up, music. The game's score was decent overall ranging from absolutely amazing arrangements (Big arm) to some really nostalgic tunes (Emerald Coast) to some pretty unbearable music that made my ears bleed (modern Radical Highway) and some not remixed at all (tropical resort) but again, why fix what isn't broken? Laziness or not, I didn't mind.

Next up my favourite part of the game, the boss fights. I've always been a big fan of bosses designed by Dimps because they create some fantastic and original fights with huge bosses, and Gens 3DS is no exception. The game sports Big Arm, Biolizard, Egg Emperor and of course the Time Eater himself. I had a blast with all of these bosses especially Biolizard and Time Eater, who is greatly improved from the console version. Can't give away the fight itself but it works great and it's actually a fair challenge...bugger killed me twice before I beat him...I just wish there were more bosses. Why can't every world have a boss rather than 1 per every handful of worlds? Also there are rival races. Not much to say. Just race them to the finish and dodge their attacks.

The verdict? It's got its moments, and its got its hiccups. I'd reccomend Sonic fans give it a go. 3DS owners should buy it if they already have Super Mario 3D land and want something else, and people who are new to Sonic? you should probobly check out the console version instead.
  3. Jan 24, 2012
    I love sonic generations 3D its my first ever sonic game and its soo fun!,

Its very challenging which is very good.

The only con is it is to short D:.
  4. Nov 22, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this game, especially after we were shown signs of improvement after Sonic Team started babysitting DIMPS (originally, it was going to play identically to Sonic The Hedgehog 4! Poor physics, Sonic uncurling from ramps, and all!). But the game has truly proven that DIMPS is no longer a competent developer. The only decent level designs in the entire game are the first three classic era ones, only because they're all carbon copies of the original levels! Every original level design is riddled with boring, flat terrain for one half and then poorly designed, pit-riddled portions for the other. It's as if DIMPS simply took levels from Sonic Rush Adventure and gave them a (rather ugly) 3D update.

The graphics are very low quality for a 3DS game, with pop-in and pop-out mere millimeters off the screen (which becomes obvious during modern Sonic's portions where the camera turns on a pointless 45 degree angle. Terrain, hazards, and enemies alike will appear on screen seconds before you crash into them because they don't even pop into existence until Sonic is too close to properly react!). Modern Sonic plays like a sluggish version of the Sonic Rush games, while classic Sonic plays more like Sonic The Hedgehog 4, homing attack and all.

A horrendous game which everyone should avoid, regardless of how starved they are for Nintendo 3DS games at the moment. Better games will come in due time, just be patient and avoid this one completely. It's not even worth a rental, let alone a purchase. The sooner people stop buying DIMPS' poorly designed, half arsed games, the sooner we'll get a more competent team making better Sonic games for our handhelds.
  5. Nov 25, 2011
    Not a total disaster but not the true vision like the HD version is. Dimps should stop making games. Way too much poor level design (cheaply placed bottomless pits, Sonic boosts too fast in 2D to see alt routes, lame homing attack for classic sonic), lazy visuals, lazy level design all around.
  6. Nov 25, 2011
    Don't listen to negative reviws of this game the cheap deaths are because they suck on difficulty. It is worth the money and definitly compared to old sonic games this game seems to be the best sonic game since the genises. Buy this game and don't listen to trolls.
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    As a guy who enjoyed 20 years of the blue blur, it's pretty obvious that I played Sonic Generations on X360/PS3/PC. Now the 3DS version starts to stand up to its console brother. The 3DS ver. may not be the best out of the two, but it is certainly enjoyable. The 3DS ver. (stupid typos) is co-developed by DIMPS who worked on the Advance trilogy, Rush series & Colors DS, as well as Sonic 4: Episode 1. Some fans might be afraid that the 3DS ver. might be one of the worst Sonic games ever. Let me say that slowly: worst Sonic games EVER(mostly because of Sonic 4). I can understand about Heroes, 06 & sometimes Unleashed (it's an okay game honestly), but this one....I think not. Before I start my review (finally...), let me warn you that this one is spoiler heavy but you should have seen it coming anyway.

Presentation

As a typical Sonic game, it has a simple yet enjoyable story. Meaning no love relationships (06), no Werehog (Unleashed) & no swords (S&The Black Knight). The story is presented with cutscenes similar to the Rush series & Colors DS, only with 3D models & in 3D. It's pleasent, but it'll be nice if they put in full voice acting instead of voice clips. The graphic, while not the best, but it is certainly eye-catching. Try activating 3D, it's a nice addition.

Gameplay

Now the 3DS version is indeed different from the console version. Classic Sonic will not have moments that is in full 3D & Modern Sonic will not be in 3D if you played the recent Sonic console games. Classic Sonic's physics is actually near-accurate. Now you might be thinking, "What the hell are you talking about?" I'm talking about no uncurling, working rolling physics and a spin-dash that is right. I gotta give credit to DIMPS. About time they know Classic Sonic's physics, and I enjoyed it. However, there's a catch to Modern's gameplay. It's 2D only , with some full 3D sections. His moveset works fine, but I do like 3D mobility. The zone selection, while it is diverse, the level design speaks Sonic 4. It's sparce. Don't get me mistaken, I'm okay with Sonic 4. Just the addition of Homing Attack to Classic Sonic is a bit forceful in some sections in the zones.

Music/Sound Effects

When there's a Sonic game, there's (KABOOM) epic music. And this version doesn't seem to disappoint me. However there are some track that felt a bit "meh". For instance, Radical Highway Modern Mix. It sounded like radioactive farts. I like D&B but as a primary genre to the mix, it's "meh". But it's nice to hear Water Palace "Back2Back" Modern Mix, Tropical Resort Modern Mix & especially Radical Highway "Classic" Mix. Replay value

Now the 3DS version doesn't have a hub world filled with missions. Instead, the missions are in a separate section, and the missions are unlockable via PlayCoins. That's a chore if you're not the walking type. Plus the length of the main game is about 1 3/4 hours if you're an expert. But with 100 missions, you might be jogging on a treadmill for a long time if you want to unlock one quarter of the missions.

Overall Opinion

Now, what do I think of this game? It's a nice game for the 3DS. Sonic's first run on the 3DS is pretty decent. Sure this game had some pros & cons, Sonic Generations for the 3DS is a nice addition to the game library. Although I consider the console version the superior, this version is a decent way to kill some time. That's the end of my review. I'm newcomer "2011zat" & until then, happy gaming!
  8. Nov 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game reminds us why we fell in love with Sonic. Considering that this is SEGAS first handheld game, they did freaking amazing. The graphics have nice clarity and sharpness, the music is well suited and epic, and its fast! The bosses are by far the best handheld bosses in the entire franchise. There are numerous routes to take on every last level! You can play with some one online and race them! You also trade profile cards and missions which is very cool! The stages have way more diversity than the console version and I gladly recomend this game to everyone! If you are a Sonic fan than its mandatory you yet this game, because its that darn great! Expand
  9. Nov 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Generations on 3DS is a great game despite what critics have said, but one of these is somewhat hypocritical. Critics that have praised Sonics DS games have stated that Sonic needs to throw 3D game-play away and bashed generations for doing just that. Even though the game is completely side-scrolling it is by far the best use of 3D from a 3rd party on 3DS so far. Classic Sonic relies a bit more on the platforming half of Sonic's formula and it was cool revisting levels like green hill from the genesis and water palace from the ds in a high quality perspective in platforming of various difficulty, he learns the homing attack but his animations are quite cool to look at as he performs them and makes me think Sonic should have stoped learning moves there. Modern Sonic plays like we've seen him in Sonic Rush and Colors for ds, while this does make the difference between the 2 sonics harder to tell I enjoy the fact that Modern Sonic has brief 3d gameplay segments (now I remember how terrifying that whale from Sonic Adventure can be and Im freaked out those meteroites from Sonic Color's Tropical Resort), as well as bonus stages and the series concept of multiple routes in a level is taken to good use with the 3DS' 3D effect in Modern levels. Another key plus of the 3DS version is that all it's levels are different than on ps3 and 360 with the exception of Green Hill. Though the campaign is short there's also a 2-player race mode that suffers almost no lag when playing on wifi even with 3D on full blast, you can also partake in side missions to unlock various art and music from throughout Sonic's history and of course a Sonic game is never ment to be truly finished until you get all the chaos emeralds and get S ranks on every level so the games isn't even close to as short as we're told. With the PS3 and 360 versions out for a while and having some more characters and levels, it's hard to say Sonic Generations on 3DS is the must have version if you can only get one, but true Sonic fans will get both to play all the levels featured between the two. Irregardless this is a true celebration of Sonic history making it a great game for nostalgia for longtime Sonic fans and the perfect jumping on point for Sonic Newbies that want to get in on the high-speed fun, it's also a game for those that thought Sonic always sucked and need to be proven wrong. Expand
  10. Dec 7, 2011
    A total disaster that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. DIMPs have put out the most regressive portable Sonic game yet! The level design is sloppy, the cheap deaths are abundant and the differences between classic and modern Sonic levels are microscopic. Classic Sonic even has a homing attack! On the plus side, the soundtrack is swell and it's certainly nice playing Mushroom Hill Zone again. However, you should skip this clunker and stick with the console version instead. Recommended for Sonic completists only. Expand
  11. May 9, 2012
    I told myself "Self, This game is actually going to be good... for once Sonic Team has done something right and won't disappoint me like pretty much every other sonic game since sonic 3 on the genesis has.."......

I should have ignored myself.......

Seriously, it's well past time for Sonic Team to retire the blue blur. This is a painful game to play not just because of the absolutely
    weak amount of content or the gameplay being as insipid (as is come to be expected, sadly) as it is... but the bugs... oh lord the bugs. you would think that a multimillion dollar corporation would have the resources to at LEAST pay for a decent beta testing team but it seems not to be the case. I tend to think of the old rock-star adage... "it's better to go out in a blaze of glory than it is to fade away with a whimper." because at this point, all i can think is that Sega is merely trying to milk this franchise but this cow's gone dry many years ago. Expand
  12. Dec 25, 2011
    this is game for me is excellent and very very enjoyable!
    it has great graphics, great 3d effect its mostly all in 2d ( which i like ) but modern sonic gameplay changes and is faster and sifts angles making the game look awesome with the 3d on! controls are very good and it is veey true to the gameplay of the old Sonic games we love!
    overall 9/10..
  13. Jan 17, 2012
    The 3DS version is superior to the console version, including online multiplayer and better crafted Modern Sonic levels. The boss battles are far less tedious, and the inclusion of a Chaos Emerald mini stages are welcome. It's a tad shorter and features less of Sonic's friends than the PS360 version, but the improved quality of the actual gameplay more than makes up for these.
  14. Oct 19, 2013
    The 3DS was lacking a good sonic game, so Sega decided to port Sonic Generation to the 3DS about a week after the console port was release. Sonic Generation for the 3DS is different from the console port with remade levels from past Sonic games and different boss, but it doesn't make it a good idea. The story is the same, but this time Sonic made to his birthday party and Tails (Sonic best friend) hasn't finish getting the party and the purple monster comes and takes Tails to this limbo world where he meet his past self. The two Sonics and the two Tails must stop what ever go on. Gameplay is all 2D platforming which is a huge disappointing to me because the 3DS could handle 3D platformers like Super Mario 3D Land and it feels pointless playing as both Sonics. So here how it goes if you don't like fast classic Sonic you could with faster modern Sonic with boost and everything. Now classic Sonic has the homing attack like his modern self which make it feel weird. The level desigh is some what bad and the first three classic Sonic levels are rip right out of the games their base off. Sonic Generation 3DS port has one big problem is that Sonic team (Developers) Should have focus on the handheld Sonic games from the Game Gear, Gameboy Advance, and DS era. Sonic Generation for the Nintendo 3DS is a okay port from the console port, but you just skip it or if our a big Sonic fan (like me) you could just add it to our collection. Expand
  15. Dec 26, 2011
    Sonic Generations is the portable version of Sonic The Hedgehog's 20th Anniversary game for the Nintendo 3DS. There are four main such as Story, Wifi Multiplayer Racing, Time Trial and Missions.
    The Story mode is underwhelmingly short with a total of 14 stages, 7 special stages, 3 rival races and 4 boss battles, cutscenes you encounter will be added to your Collection. Wifi Multiplayer
    Racing is simply racing against a random opponent on Wifi in one of the game's stages or special stages. Time Trial consists of racing through stages for the best time and uploading them to the leaderboards. Missions is basically completing a special task for an unlockable reward for your collection and new Missions can be gained through play coins, spotpass download and completing further through the main story. Completing missions unlocks content for your Collection which can include 3D models, music, promotional art. Playing Multiplayer races on Wifi and uploading times to the leaderboards will give you points and unlockable content for your profile card. You can also gain new content through Streetpass and Play Coins can be used to unlock missions and/or their rewards. Classic Sonic stages play slower and promotes exploration and platforming to find interesting goodies while making your way to the exit while Mordern Sonic rushes through stages mowing down obstacles and using shortcuts to reach the exit as soon as possible. Excluding the first three Classic stages which where literally converted from their original versions with no changes, the level design is lazy and and pretty poorly done overall with bottomless pit abuse, boosters even when they aren't necessary and cheap enemy placement. Not the greatest of Sonic games out there but it is a notable improvement from more recently known recent game disasters. If you are a Sonic fan, you will absolutely want this game if you don't have the home console or PC version, and even if you do, this version exclusively has certain levels, bosses and multiplayer that the other versions don't. If you are unsure about Sonic games or they just aren't your forte, you might was to pass this up for something else. If you are new to playing Sonic games or are looking for content for your money, I would suggest Sonic Classic Collection as it is far cheaper than this game and has much more content and is compatible with the 3DS portable gaming console as well. Expand
  16. Jan 16, 2012
    This game is a "greatest hits" album, one for a band long dropped from popularity. It's weird how these "greatest hits" can make me feel nostalgic for an era in gaming I didn't love. When I was a boy and the Mario/Sonic wars were at its peak, Sega couldn't do what Nintendid. Sonic always looked desperate for attention, with unnecessarily difficult speedy platforming that required level memorization - It wasnââ Expand
  17. Feb 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Generations on the 3DS is incredible fun, the graphics actually look very nice (at times) and there is no slow down (something which irritates me in the home console version). The game's biggest flaw is that it is WAY too short, only 14 levels in all (classic and modern for each of the 7 "zones"), the boss battles are good (again, not enough of 'em), but there are 100 missions to be played through streetpass, which should last a while. There is enough difference between the Classic and modern levels, and most of them are great fun to play again and again although there are instances of sloppy level design in one of the modern levels, (Emerald Coast if you asked) where you can't see what's going on if you use the boost and end up in a bottomless pit. But shortness and very occasional bad level design aside, this is some of the most fun I've had playing a Sonic game in a while (since Colours). It would have a 9/10 if it were longer and the one level I have complained about was designed better. Buy it if you want another Sonic game on the 3DS though! Expand
  18. Dec 28, 2011
    Graphically this is one of the best 3DS games I've played so far. I played Sonic Colours quite recently on the DS, so this game really shows you how much of a massive difference there is between the two platforms. Like it's console counterpart, the "old school" Sonic parts are better than the "modern" sonic parts and its a bit confusing swapping between the two and trying to a modern move in old school and vice versa. If you've played the console version, this is a completely different game so don't let that put you off. Sadly some of the better things about the console version like the level within the level select screen have been omitted from this version. Also the level design isn't quite as brilliant as it's console counter part. Generations is also a little on the short side (not quite Sonic Episode 1 short). If you like Sonic, you're not going to dislike this game, you just might not love it. There'll certainly be parts of it you do love, mainly seeing old school sonic levels in 3D. Don't get this instead of the console version, but do get it as well as if you haven't had enough of that speedy blue blur. Expand
  19. Apr 12, 2012
    Sonic generations 3DS is an awesome 2D action plat-former with amazing game-play, an incredible soundtrack, loads of things to do, cool streetpass, great graphics (they could be better) and nice 3D. It's a bit better than the console version, but the console version is still really good!
  20. Feb 25, 2012
    You know this is like Sonic Advance same but not cartoon world i mean its awesome have cool graphics at the end same as console version fight bosses Metal Sonic, Shadow The Hedgehog, Silver The Hedgehog. nice game even brings back memory's.
  21. May 9, 2012
    I like unlocking missions with the coins you earned by the amount of walking you do in a day. And when you finish a mission you unlock art, music tracks and models of characters. The story mode is decent, but once you beat it you can't use the chaos emeralds to go into super form other than when you are defeating the last boss. It has its own unique gameplay when compared to the PC or console gameplay. Expand
  22. Sep 24, 2012
    Sonic Generations is a game on the 3DS which is an entirely different game than its console counterpart and of course, developed by one of the worst developers in gaming history, Dimps. Words cannot describe how terrible this game is. I'm sorry, but just because a game is on the 3DS, it does not mean the game has to be so much downgraded. First of all, there are NO 3D sections in the game except for the crappy special stages from Sonic Heroes. The levels look NOTHING like the originals. Take a look at Emerald Beach. It looks nothing like the original stage from Sonic Adventure. On top of that, there is barely any difference between classic and modern Sonic. Overall, just don't buy this game. You will regret it for the rest of your life. I know I have. I wasted $40 on a bad 3DS game while I could have spent those $40 on good 3DS games like Kid Icarus: Uprising. I had so much expectations for this game but Dimps and Sega has to ruin it. Expand
  23. Sep 11, 2012
    Sonic Generations 3DS, while not as good as the console version, is still a pretty fun game, especially for Sonic fans.
    I'll be frank: Sonic Generations 3DS was a wasted opportunity. It could have been a true celebration of Sonic's 20 years on handheld systems, but instead we got a rushed handheld version of a console game, a fate suffered by many major games these days.
    That being said,
    you should still consider buying this game, especially when the discounts start kicking in. The story's not great, but the gameplay for both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic is great. Classic Sonic's physics are closer to Genesis physics than I've seen in a Sonic game since Sonic Advance 1. Modern Sonic's got his standard 2D skill set and is as fun as ever. The level choices could have been better, but the only bad level design I saw was in the Dreamcast era levels, especially Radical Highway. Once you S-rank Act 2, you will never willingly play it again (with the sound on, at least). The special stages, though too easy to unlock, are fun.
    The graphics actually stand out among 3DS games as some of the best, especially making stellar use of the 3D (second only to Super Mario 3D Land). The sound, besides some later boss music and Radical Highway Act 2's music, is some of the best music from any Sonic game, and that's saying something.
    Overall, if you are a Sonic fan, buy this game. If you like platforming/action games, consider buying this game. If you don't like Sonic, this game won't change your mind. Oh, almost forgot: Online multiplayer. It's a 1-on-1 race with another player on a level or special stage, and can get addicting. It uses a simple rating system and definitely improves replay value.
    Gameplay: 8
    Graphics: 8.5
    Sound: 9
    Replay Value: 8
    Overall: 8/10 (I would've given this an 8.5 if I could.)
  24. Sep 4, 2013
    What a disappointment, while the HD version looked like it had tons of effort put into it, this is just completely lazy. Level designs that often consist you running in a straight line, unimpressive visuals, and really uninteresting gameplay, You have modern sonic and classic sonic, but the problem is there both 2D, so there basically the same except one has the boost and the other has a spin dash, don't waste your money on this version, buy the PC/360/PS3 version Expand
  25. Apr 30, 2013
    Sonic Generations is fun. It has really good levels. The annoying thing is I finished the game a little bit too quickly. I found the last bit too easy. At the start I found it impossible but I really liked it and got a lot better once I worked the game out. It is really fun to play this game for quite a while.
  26. Nov 20, 2013
    Well, I like this game, but I have a feeling there's something missing. There aren't so many levels and the 3D graphics aren't too good. It's pretty decent, but yeah... I think that's all I have to say. I hope they improve the next Sonic games,
  27. Jul 17, 2013
    Sonic Generations could have been a fantastic way to celebrate the hedgehog's 20th anniversary, but it's flawed by many problems. This games selling point is that you can play as both classic and modern sonics. But on thr 3DS version, they are virtually the same. Both handle 2-D platforming levels with very similar design. Why couldn't modern Sonic do 3-D levels? It would have made sense on the 3DS especially. The levels in Sonic Generations, though lacking inspiration, are good fun. The bosses are the best part, but there are so few of them. Which brings about another major flaw- there are only about twenty levels. Honestly, that is lazy. To combat this problem, there is mission mode, in which you must complete levels following varios rules, like not killing any enemies. You can also use play coins to buy additional missions. They save this game and make it, overall, a recommendable package. I just wish there was more of it. Expand
  28. Oct 18, 2013
    The console version of sonic generations was amazing, but the 3DS version is a completely different game, and it's terrible. the story is exactly the same as the console version sonic's friends have been sucked into a white void by a giant purple monster called the time eater and he meets his classic self. now the gameplay, as classic sonic it's completely 2D like the console version, I actually think that classic sonic's physics are better than the console version, but all of that gets washed away when classic sonic gets a homing attack. and modern sonic's gameplay is nothing like the console version, he just plays in sonic rush style 2D with the camera trying to get a 3D view but only going half way, it's like sonic rivals. so the console version had classic sonic's gameplay being like sonic's games on the genesis, and we had modern sonic's gameplay be like the daytime stages of sonic unleashed, and in the 3DS version classic sonic's gameplay is like sonic's Genesis games (with an optional homing attack) and modern sonic's gameplay is like sonic rush. this leads me to feel like this was a last minute rushed game. and like the console version, every zone in this game is based off another zone from older sonic games, there are some zones like green hill zone, and mushroom hill zone that are very fun. and there are some stages like radical highway, WAIT, why is sonic in radical highway, that was a stage in sonic adventure 2 for SHADOW. but anyway radical highway and water palace are the worst stages in the game. and then there are the boss fights, you fight bosses like big arm, biolizard. WAIT AGAIN, in the cutscene right after the biolizard boss, tails says "I never expected to see biolizard again" and sonic says "I fought him before, that was easy" okay, 1, tails never saw the biolizard, and 2, sonic never fought the biolizard, shadow did in sonic adventure 2. who ever made this game seemed to have forgotten the story and plot of sonic adventure 2. also, another thing, the game is extremely short, the console version had 9 zones, and the 3DS version had 7. and the rival battles in the 3DS version are nothing like the console version, in the console version you fight the rival, but in the 3DS version you race the rival. It would make sense if they only did a race for metal sonic since that's similar to the original boss in sonic cd, but they did it for all of them. and instead of fighting metal sonic in a remake of stardust speedway from sonic cd, you fight him in casino night zone, and instead of fighting shadow on a remake of the ark, you fight him in radical highway, and instead of fighting silver in Soleana, you fight him in tropical resort. it's horribile. and the modern era of this game was based on handheld games, like sonic rush, or sonic color DS, WHY? were they actually going for a 4th sonic rush game? the 3DS version of this game is horrible, and it's even worse because modern sonic could have been in 3D because his special stages are 3D and they work fine. by the way let's talk about the special stages, they are remakes of sonic heroes special stages but this time the controls are perfect, unlike sonic heroes special stages. and they also proved that there could be a 3D sonic game in the upcoming sonic lost world for the 3DS, that's how modern sonic in this game should have played. it was understandable for sonic colors on the DS, but not on the 3DS. and the best part of the game is the final boss. the 3DS version of the final boss is a lot better than the console version, and it's probably the only memorable part of the 3DS version. if you're looking for this game, get the console version. Expand
  29. Sep 11, 2013
    Sonic Generations for the 3DS is good. The gameplay is fun and the graphics are colorful and cartoonish.
    It's Disappointing that City Escape wasn't in this though. Score: 3/5.
  30. Jun 27, 2014
    Yes, I cannot deny that's this is a butchered port, but its still AWESOME! Playing as classic & modern Sonic is just right. Though the entire game is side-scrolling, the levels are still great! They didn't use any sonic levels from bad games, like the console version IE: that city level... thing from sonic 06.
  31. Feb 8, 2014
    Eh, if you ignore not having 3d platforming, and the games short length, It's not bad at all. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  32. Jul 22, 2014
    This game would have been a lot better if they had tossed the modern Sonic levels out the window, and made the whole game based around old Sonic, but then I guess it woudn't have been Sonic Generations. This game is worth having for anybody who likes old Sonic, because it has some of the old levels like Casino Night, Mushroom Hill, and some interesting reinterpretations of new sonic levels in the 2D classic style. The modern sonic levels are all pretty bad and involve practically no 3D at all. So its like playing classic Sonic who just boosts through every level as much as possible, which isn't all that rewarding. Also the scoring system is bad, because it is all based around beating the level in a certain time. I know this is Sonic we're talking about, but this system makes some levels trivial to get S rank, like Casino Night, because you can just drop down to the bottom of every pinball game and advance to the next part of the level, and some super hard like Radical Highway, because you need to beat it in sub 2 minutes and that is just not that easy. Not worth $40 by a long shot, but maybe worth its current price on amazon if you are a fan of old Sonic. Expand
  33. Apr 12, 2014
    Do not buy this game, it is just a waste of time! If you do buy this game, don't get the 3DS version! Nintendo handhelds always get the worst in terms of Sonic games and this game is no exception. I got stuck on the second level because there was a section where there is a statue that is falling and you have to keep pressing Y and no matter what, I can't get past it. The cutscenes are horrible, this is the only version of this game that uses dialog boxes and floating pictures. Buy the wii version, or the PC version, or any version not on this system! Expand
  34. Jul 28, 2014
    One of the best titles on 3DDS, an awesome sonic game, with full 3d rendered graphics which can be played in 3D without 3D glasses and has modern sonic levels and classic sonic levels. Two sonics, Two levels of AWESOME!

1. Feb 21, 2012
    It has potential to be way better, but you can have some fun.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    The blue speedster, both past and present, delivers a solid first outing on Nintendo 3DS.
    Sonic has yet so settle in properly on the handhelds, and Sonic Generations sadly doesn't change that, despite including to versions of the blue hedgehog.