6.7

1. Jan 17, 2012
    The 3DS version is superior to the console version, including online multiplayer and better crafted Modern Sonic levels. The boss battles are far less tedious, and the inclusion of a Chaos Emerald mini stages are welcome. It's a tad shorter and features less of Sonic's friends than the PS360 version, but the improved quality of the actual gameplay more than makes up for these.
  2. Nov 23, 2011
    I liked it a lot once you get use to it. The only real complaint I have is that the classic sonic roll and modern sonic skid are not matched to a single button. Instead of just pressing Y to roll or X to Skid you have to press down and press b which doesn't always work. That is very disappointing and upsets the whole of the game so instead of marking 1 point off for graphics and levelI liked it a lot once you get use to it. The only real complaint I have is that the classic sonic roll and modern sonic skid are not matched to a single button. Instead of just pressing Y to roll or X to Skid you have to press down and press b which doesn't always work. That is very disappointing and upsets the whole of the game so instead of marking 1 point off for graphics and level design I am marking 2 off. Fun game but not worthy of 40 dollars. Maybe 30. Expand
  3. Jan 24, 2012
    I love sonic generations 3D its my first ever sonic game and its soo fun!,

Its very challenging which is very good.

The only con is it is to short D:.
  4. Nov 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Generations on 3DS is a great game despite what critics have said, but one of these is somewhat hypocritical. Critics that have praised Sonics DS games have stated that Sonic needs to throw 3D game-play away and bashed generations for doing just that. Even though the game is completely side-scrolling it is by far the best use of 3D from a 3rd party on 3DS so far. Classic Sonic relies a bit more on the platforming half of Sonic's formula and it was cool revisting levels like green hill from the genesis and water palace from the ds in a high quality perspective in platforming of various difficulty, he learns the homing attack but his animations are quite cool to look at as he performs them and makes me think Sonic should have stoped learning moves there. Modern Sonic plays like we've seen him in Sonic Rush and Colors for ds, while this does make the difference between the 2 sonics harder to tell I enjoy the fact that Modern Sonic has brief 3d gameplay segments (now I remember how terrifying that whale from Sonic Adventure can be and Im freaked out those meteroites from Sonic Color's Tropical Resort), as well as bonus stages and the series concept of multiple routes in a level is taken to good use with the 3DS' 3D effect in Modern levels. Another key plus of the 3DS version is that all it's levels are different than on ps3 and 360 with the exception of Green Hill. Though the campaign is short there's also a 2-player race mode that suffers almost no lag when playing on wifi even with 3D on full blast, you can also partake in side missions to unlock various art and music from throughout Sonic's history and of course a Sonic game is never ment to be truly finished until you get all the chaos emeralds and get S ranks on every level so the games isn't even close to as short as we're told. With the PS3 and 360 versions out for a while and having some more characters and levels, it's hard to say Sonic Generations on 3DS is the must have version if you can only get one, but true Sonic fans will get both to play all the levels featured between the two. Irregardless this is a true celebration of Sonic history making it a great game for nostalgia for longtime Sonic fans and the perfect jumping on point for Sonic Newbies that want to get in on the high-speed fun, it's also a game for those that thought Sonic always sucked and need to be proven wrong. Expand
  5. Nov 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game reminds us why we fell in love with Sonic. Considering that this is SEGAS first handheld game, they did freaking amazing. The graphics have nice clarity and sharpness, the music is well suited and epic, and its fast! The bosses are by far the best handheld bosses in the entire franchise. There are numerous routes to take on every last level! You can play with some one online and race them! You also trade profile cards and missions which is very cool! The stages have way more diversity than the console version and I gladly recomend this game to everyone! If you are a Sonic fan than its mandatory you yet this game, because its that darn great! Expand
  6. Nov 25, 2011
    Don't listen to negative reviws of this game the cheap deaths are because they suck on difficulty. It is worth the money and definitly compared to old sonic games this game seems to be the best sonic game since the genises. Buy this game and don't listen to trolls.
  7. Dec 25, 2011
    this is game for me is excellent and very very enjoyable!
    it has great graphics, great 3d effect its mostly all in 2d ( which i like ) but modern sonic gameplay changes and is faster and sifts angles making the game look awesome with the 3d on! controls are very good and it is veey true to the gameplay of the old Sonic games we love!
    overall 9/10..
  8. Apr 12, 2012
    Sonic generations 3DS is an awesome 2D action plat-former with amazing game-play, an incredible soundtrack, loads of things to do, cool streetpass, great graphics (they could be better) and nice 3D. It's a bit better than the console version, but the console version is still really good!
  9. Feb 25, 2012
    You know this is like Sonic Advance same but not cartoon world i mean its awesome have cool graphics at the end same as console version fight bosses Metal Sonic, Shadow The Hedgehog, Silver The Hedgehog. nice game even brings back memory's.
  10. Apr 14, 2015
    The game is super fantastic ‼️‼️‼️ The controls work perfectly , great music, good gameplay for classic and modern, missions are good,there are only to minor complaints 1:graphics could have been better and 2: classic sonic has homing attack and he jumps like modern sonic
  11. Feb 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Generations on the 3DS is incredible fun, the graphics actually look very nice (at times) and there is no slow down (something which irritates me in the home console version). The game's biggest flaw is that it is WAY too short, only 14 levels in all (classic and modern for each of the 7 "zones"), the boss battles are good (again, not enough of 'em), but there are 100 missions to be played through streetpass, which should last a while. There is enough difference between the Classic and modern levels, and most of them are great fun to play again and again although there are instances of sloppy level design in one of the modern levels, (Emerald Coast if you asked) where you can't see what's going on if you use the boost and end up in a bottomless pit. But shortness and very occasional bad level design aside, this is some of the most fun I've had playing a Sonic game in a while (since Colours). It would have a 9/10 if it were longer and the one level I have complained about was designed better. Buy it if you want another Sonic game on the 3DS though! Expand
  12. Sep 11, 2012
    Sonic Generations 3DS, while not as good as the console version, is still a pretty fun game, especially for Sonic fans.
    I'll be frank: Sonic Generations 3DS was a wasted opportunity. It could have been a true celebration of Sonic's 20 years on handheld systems, but instead we got a rushed handheld version of a console game, a fate suffered by many major games these days.
    That being said,
    That being said, you should still consider buying this game, especially when the discounts start kicking in. The story's not great, but the gameplay for both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic is great. Classic Sonic's physics are closer to Genesis physics than I've seen in a Sonic game since Sonic Advance 1. Modern Sonic's got his standard 2D skill set and is as fun as ever. The level choices could have been better, but the only bad level design I saw was in the Dreamcast era levels, especially Radical Highway. Once you S-rank Act 2, you will never willingly play it again (with the sound on, at least). The special stages, though too easy to unlock, are fun.
    The graphics actually stand out among 3DS games as some of the best, especially making stellar use of the 3D (second only to Super Mario 3D Land). The sound, besides some later boss music and Radical Highway Act 2's music, is some of the best music from any Sonic game, and that's saying something.
    Overall, if you are a Sonic fan, buy this game. If you like platforming/action games, consider buying this game. If you don't like Sonic, this game won't change your mind. Oh, almost forgot: Online multiplayer. It's a 1-on-1 race with another player on a level or special stage, and can get addicting. It uses a simple rating system and definitely improves replay value.
    Gameplay: 8
    Graphics: 8.5
    Sound: 9
    Replay Value: 8
    Overall: 8/10 (I would've given this an 8.5 if I could.)
  13. Jun 27, 2014
    Yes, I cannot deny that's this is a butchered port, but its still AWESOME! Playing as classic & modern Sonic is just right. Though the entire game is side-scrolling, the levels are still great! They didn't use any sonic levels from bad games, like the console version IE: that city level... thing from sonic 06.
  14. Jul 28, 2014
    One of the best titles on 3DDS, an awesome sonic game, with full 3d rendered graphics which can be played in 3D without 3D glasses and has modern sonic levels and classic sonic levels. Two sonics, Two levels of AWESOME!

1. Feb 21, 2012
    It has potential to be way better, but you can have some fun.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    The blue speedster, both past and present, delivers a solid first outing on Nintendo 3DS.
    Sonic has yet so settle in properly on the handhelds, and Sonic Generations sadly doesn't change that, despite including to versions of the blue hedgehog.