• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 29, 2013
  • Also On: Wii U
6.6

1. Oct 31, 2013
    I like this game. The sonic haters only excuse is "OMG SANIC IZ TOO SLOWWW" people call this a galaxy rip off, but sega came up with the galaxy like gameplay first. Face it hater retards. This game rocks
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    Seriously, this game is just awesome. Considering 3DS limits, it looks GREAT and runs smoothly. Controls are the best of a 3D Sonic game since Adventure (better even!). And levels are the longest I've played in a Sonic game ever (more than Wii U's version) and have a lot of new good ideas and variety.

For me is a 10. But if you think 10 is just too much, at least I think it should get
    better mark than Generations from 3DS, which was very disappointing compared to its major version. And this time this hasn't happened (and it is even said to be better in this case). Expand
  3. Oct 30, 2013
    A sonic game where sonic can't even run fast is like a racing game where the cars cap out at 20mph. The game is nauseating, boring, the camera is horrible and will make you miss a lot of jumps, it's a shameless and horrible bastardization of Mario Galaxy. The only reason i'm not giving it a 0 is because the graphics both ingame and during cutscenes and the 3D are actually pretty impressive. Everything else about Lost World, however, is not. I'd say just get the WiiU version but from what I'm hearing, that one is having a lot of the same problems too. Expand
  4. LBC
    Oct 31, 2013
    A very solid game! Unlike Sonic Generations on 3DS, Lost World is not a pared down version of its console counterpart. It is a full fledged iteration of the game with its own quirks and personality. Local multiplayer is a welcome addition. With his new moves you can hurl yourself along with a high degree of confidence knowing that Sonic will grab on to ledges or run up walls.
  5. Oct 30, 2013
    The graphics are some of the best on the system. The controls are incredible especially with the ability to change Sonic's speed at the touch of a button. Level design is great and the stages take longer than previous sonic game levels and zones. Highly recommend this!
  6. Oct 30, 2013
    Sonic Lost World features stunning visuals, solid stage designs, and decent music. There is a wealth of amazing content that rivals the best of any 3D Sonic to date, and a lot of variety. Unfortunately, the game is brutally difficult to a degree that will shock even longtime fans, and skilled play requires total mastery of its exceedingly complicated new control scheme. In addition, lame combat and tedious puzzles are used for filler. As such, the appeal is limited. Expand
  7. Nov 4, 2013
    This game brings Sonic back, Is one of the sharpest looking games on the 3DS, and yes, it's awesome.
    The blue guy has been through a lot of hate in the past years, but I really think this time he finally made it.
    I totally recommend this game, and would ignore critics from people who haven't even tried it yet.
  8. Jan 26, 2014
    I've been a Sonic fan since day 1 and this game is pretty trash. They controls are clunky, the mechanics are dumb, there are faaaaaar too many instant death pits, and its just beyond frustrating.

I couldn't recommend this to anyone when we have so many better Sonic titles out there like the re-release of the classics that keep coming out, the Sonic Rush series and even the Sonic
    Generations 3DS game. Go pick old copies of those up. They capture the good stuff that is real Sonic. Expand
  9. Dec 29, 2013
    This sonic game in my opinion is the worst I have ever played (I have never actual player Sonic 06. SO DON'T GIVE ME CRAP ABOUT IT!) and I was hoping it would live up to the legacy of Sonic Generations or Sonic Colors. But this game feels all clunky and confusing. Sonic can move pretty fast in this game, but you'll run into an obstacle like a closed door very often. Plus the game continuously tries to bring in ideas from other platformers, like Mario. Though none of these ideas fit or work, and they only seem to make the game more clunky and slow. It just seems to miss the one thing that makes a Sonic game a Sonic game, and that's going fast. But when they continuously put stupid obstacles like closed door or mini bosses, that only happen to slow you down. Than the entire point of this game get's ruined. Plus some of the levels are just confusing and somewhat random. And don't bring up those godawful special levels. The only real positives are the nice graphics and amazing sound track. I mean I use to really love Sonic the Hedgehog games, but I think it's time Sega either get's their act together or let him die off. 3/10 Expand
  10. Nov 18, 2013
    While the game looks great and has that awe inspiring bright Sonic color scheme, the game play is terrible, the auto aim control does whatever the hell it wants and the flow gets frustrating after a very short amount of time. I truly despise games that ask more of the player than the mechanics of the game can afford. The camera is possibly one of the worst recent implementations of a camera in a 3D environment I have ever seen.

All in all, avoid this title.
  11. Oct 31, 2013
    Good- the 3d levels and very well made, graphics are good for the 3ds, parkour is a great idea, you can get a good sense of speed once you get going.
    bad- the control is too sensitive i never feel i have full control over sonic, the 2d levels are not made well and always seem to punish me for going fast, and i never feel like playing levels again after beating them.
    before the fans start
    raging at me you should know I've been a sonic fan all my life, i've played almost all the game and enjoyed most of them one way or another. i ever enjoy some of the lesser liked titles such as sonic unleashed(including some werehog levels) shadow the hedgehog, and sonic heroes(one of the best in my opinion). i feel that sonic generations was on the right track for sonic games, but with the control problems, and bad 2d levels sonic lost world is just good, not anything more Expand
  12. Nov 24, 2013
    I love Sonic and I always have. I remember staring google eyed at the first game in my local game store when I was eleven years old. And so the love affair began. Sonic 1,2,3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Advance... All great classic titles that fill me with joy and nostalgia. Of course, there have been some truly hideous Sonic titles sent out there too. Although it's beloved by a certain contingent, I felt the rot got semi-started by Sonic Adventure 2 which was buggy and poorly made. And then it got worse; Sonic Heroes, the Sonic Rush series, the Sonic Advance sequels, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed and... Possibly the worst game OF ALL TIME, take a bow Sonic '06. But the blue blur has bounced back in recent years. Sonic Colors pulled Sonic out of the crapper and games like Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, Sonic 4: Episode II and the sublime Sonic Generations kept him out. And now we have Sonic: Lost World on 3DS. Which is... Unbelievably bad. The unfortunate trait of forcing in mechanics that don't work or belong has been pushed into overdrive with this game. Sega has thrown everything and anything at the wall to see what sticks. Here's a hint, Sega; NONE OF IT DOES! Infuriating design choices, limited actual 'platforming' levels (the kind of which are unhindered by awful gimmicks), a crazy amount of trial and error... It's just bad heaped upon bad. And it's really unforgiving to boot. That's such a shame because the demo was tons of fun. Why can't they make a game like that without messing it up with all kinds of annoying additions? I sincerely hope that the WiiU version is better because this awful title represents a real stumbling block for the franchise. Basically; avoid this game at all costs! Expand
  13. Jan 19, 2014
    You will like it only if you like 3D platformer games. Even though I love original Sonic series, 3D versions of those give totally different experience and basically those are totally different games.
  14. Nov 4, 2013
    This is a sad game! Negatives: - Very loose controls flying off to pits. - Long getting hit pause. - WTH, Special Stage. - Boring worlds. Positives: - Story. - Music. - Interesting new control mechanics. Seriously though, there is a good game hidden here somewhere and I welcome the challenge, if only they improved the controls (Tighter controls) and modified the level design not having mostly 80% pits per level but the other way around. Expand
  15. Nov 3, 2013
    Sonic's biggest problem today was his biggest asset and that is his speed. In a 3D world this is where Mario dominates. Mario had more control in 3D over Sonic. Sega has really have to be able to transition Sonic to a 3D world or leave him into a 2D side scroller.
  16. Jan 26, 2014
    Frozen Factory 3. That is all. As if the game wasn't terrible enough already due to incredibly bad controls, they give me Frozen Factory 3. I actually ragequitted there for real. If you don't believe me, look up the Sonic Lost World 3DS playthrough by Cobanermani456 on youtube. That guy is known for his unbelievable patience, and even he ragequitted on Frozen Factory 3. Later, he did beat it, but then he ragequitted again, permanently, on Sky Road 2.

This game is the new Sonic 06, avoid at all costs.
  17. Nov 3, 2013
    Looks like Sega missed adding sonic's speed in the game.But if you think about it, 3DS is not a platform where you get a high speed game. I mean Sonic Generations 3DS was fast and good, but you won't play that game until you are in your room and relaxed. Sonic lost world is made as a 5-minute break game so it is not supposed to be hard or requiring maneuvers.The Design and control is superb but the graphics,speed and bit of other factors felt lacking. But overall, it's a pretty good game, but certainly not the out of the world thing you would expect from SEGA. Expand
  18. Nov 13, 2013
    Sonic Lost World For 3DS Is Amazing And Is A Worthy Handheld Partner For The Wii U Version Of Sonic Lost World
    + Awesome 3D Levels
    + Catchy Music
    + Cool Multiplayer

- Camera Angle Not That Good
  19. Nov 7, 2013
    Good game, bad experience. This game has an innovative concept with a top notch soundtrack from Tomoya Ohtani and gourgeous-looking graphics, it has problems though: 1) Way too long levels Not all of them of course, but some are just repetitive (Tropical Resort 2), too gimmicky (Tropical Resort 3/Frozen Factory 2) or just too hard (Frozen Factory 1). 2)Bad camera choices: too zoomed in (Windy Hill 3); you can't see where you are going to (Sky Road 2)

3)Smart Controls are Dumb.
    Serial homing attack deserved it's own button here. You will end up homing on a lot of ememies, not unfrequently onto an offscreen one. Leaving that to the 'L' button would have been a better choice.

4) Bad introduction to the game mechanics
    Sonic Rush Adventure had a small tutorial that made you understand every little feature of the game, Sonic Colors DS also had a tutorial for each Wisp. Windy Hill tutorial is useless.

I think with some patches this could have been a 9 or 10 but these flaws... no. They are annoying and game breaking
  20. Mar 24, 2014
    This game is good; not great, but, it did supply me with a about a dozen hours of entertainment.

First of all, the best part is that most ports from consoles to handhelds are usually a massive dog turd, but this is one of the better adaptations you can have. The controls feel responsive (which is especially good as this looks like it took a page out of Super Mario Galaxy's book) and I
    like the majority of the level design; the colours are vibrant and fun, and throughout the game, I enjoyed playing through these levels. Also, when i beat it, I'm a person who likes to get high scores on each level, or goes to collect the Red Rings, so, the replay value appealed to me.

However, this game is nowhere near perfect, as some things about this I really didn't like; there's only a couple of things I don't like, but they're still big issues. Firstly, the cutscenes are beyond awful; the Wii U has brilliant HD cutscenes, to accompany it's mediocre gameplay (In my opinion), the 3DS' cutscenes look as if you shrunk a JPEG, enlarged it back to normal, and then preshrunk. It's all pixelated and ugly.

The other issue I had was the bosses; they all had a certain cliche to them, which meant they were all generic and it was incredibly cringey whenever SEGA tried to make them funny. It wasn't just their character, however; their fights were average, but there wasn't anything too criminal about them.

If you're a long time Sonic fan, or a big fan of the Super Mario Galaxy games, you'll really like this game.

If you dislike the Sonic games, you will probably really hate this game too.

If you're like me, someone who doesn't really pay attention to the Sonic games, but have played a few and didn't mind them, you should probably play the demo first and see if you like it first. Not bad, nor great; just good.
  21. Jan 14, 2014
    HOW IS GENERATIONS RATED HIGHER THAN THIS? People dismiss this game as a ripoff of Galaxy just because of its 3D. Seriously? Plus, there's online play for up to 4 players. Also, the Deadly 6 aren't ALL that bad. While there's Zazz (GONNA BEAT YA LIKE A DRUM!) and Mister Pudgy, everyone else is OK.
  22. Nov 21, 2013
    It's okay, the game has a decent control scheme without it being too frustrating at times, the touch screen is simple to use and activate color powers without it being annoying, and the gameplay and story are fine... However, the level design starts out fun, then progressively gets worse and worse as you play, with occasionally fun levels, then more bad levels. Example, Frozen Factory 3. I'm actually good at these kinds of games(usually), and how long did it take me to beat this level my first time? 20. Minutes. See, what some levels like the one stated base it around a dumb gimmick, and you do it over, and over, and over, until you finish the level. This formula almost always applies to the 3D flat land levels where you turn the camera It genuinely feels like the developers for the 3DS version, Dimps, tried to make it a puzzle platform in these kinds of levels. Cool. But, if you're going to make a level like that, make it short and sweet, don't shove it down my throat and tell me that it's my life for the next 10-20 minutes. If the game only used the 2D and 3D levels for the game, it probably would have been a lot more fun. But the 3D Flat lands are just tedious and just makes it not fun to play. The bosses are fun and somewhat challenging. What I know about the Wii U version is only from videos I have seen, but it looks far better than the 3ds version. I do know that Volcano zone is an actual zone on the Wii u. 3DS version? Boss rush.

Also, the special stages... where to start with those. You fly around collecting orbs with the gyroscope, but it's so tedious to use the normal controls for assist that you will inevitably just walk around wherever you are to complete the level. Avoid, unless you really want super sonic.

All in all, I would rather recommend the Wii U version, since it looks better in pretty much every way, but if you don't have a Wii U, go ahead and take a risk with the 3DS version, you might find yourself liking it.
  23. Dec 4, 2013
    Sonic Lost World for the 3DS was an amazing to me and I'm here to show my reasons why.
    To start this is Sonic's first fully 3D handheld game which already makes it different from the rest.
    One of the new features is Sonic's parkour ability which in my opinion works better than the Wii U version.
    I love that they brought back the spindash from the adventure series,the spindash had to
    charge up and although it doesn't turn well you can still use it to get past certain areas with ease.Another thing i must mention is that the boss battles of this game...are simply amazing!!! better than the Wii U version.
    The story and cutscenes are the same as the Wii U version but of course he graphics are lowered to make sure it runs smoothly.I love the return of the old elemental shields not to mention the wisps work pretty well to.Sonic is very slippery at times and the special stages are just plain awful. some puzzles are very slow and take a while. This isn't a full review but I give this game an 8 out of 10.
  24. Jan 8, 2014
    While the Wii U version is fun, the 3DS version is ok. While the visuals look good and the music is great, the level design is too bloated and too long. It just feels way too long (some levels are 6-7 minutes long) and some of the levels are downright frustrating. The game is good for a Sonic handheld, but it could have been done much better.
  25. Feb 18, 2014
    I recently went to Mexico to visit my wife’s family. For the trip I went out and purchased Sonic Lost Worlds for my 3DS. I couldn’t get past the first level before realizing I’d made a huge mistake.

I had also brought along Mario 3d Land so I could kind of compare the two, since both of them are astoundingly similar. Both are platformers, both run on the “get to the end of the level”
    mechanic, and both incorporate power-ups and collectables in the games.

Sonic LW had the issues of control. It was too slow if I wasn’t running, and it got unweildly if I ran for too long. I discovered that a lot of the collectables I’d have to go back and replay a level for which I didn’t much care for. Replayability isn’t about forcing your player to go back and replay the game if they want 100% completion. It’s about encouraging them. When in the first few levels I ran into several bubbles that were greyed out indicating that I hadn’t gotten what I’d needed yet, it made me frustrated because I was all, “Did I miss something?”

The different gravity idea was pretty neat, I have to admit. Seems like Sonic Xtreme finally got some sort of debut after all, but it still didn’t do away with the endless pits that have plagued 3d Sonic games since Sonic Adventure.

The controls, aside from twitchy, weren’t well thought out. If I have a double jump AND a homing attack, and I have 4 buttons near my right thumb alone, why the hell are they both on the jump button? I can’t begin to count the amount of times I died trying to double jump only to homing attack or vice versa. The game isn’t very clear what it wants me to do a lot of the time either. In world 2 I encountered an enemy that kept hurting me when I tried to use a homing attack. It also kept hurting me when I used a spin dash. When I finally figured out that the spin dash did do something to it, it took me too long to figure out that after the spin dash I needed to do that ultra-homing attack, despite the target being in spin-dash range. (The enemy also had no rebound, so when I’d do the spin dash, half the time I’d stop right inside his hit box and get hit instead of bouncing off like most enemies.)

The bonus levels were novel, I have to admit, but I was extremely disappointed while on the plane to discover that I couldn’t use the control stick at all. I had to move the entire 3DS, which in a normal situation at home wouldn’t be a problem, but any time I’m traveling makes it next to impossible to play. I eventually figured out that there was a “hold” button which would let me, effectively, recalibrate the 3DS’ position letting me essentially keep swiping with my 3DS instead of trying to turn 360 degrees in my cramped seat on the airplane.

Compare this to Super Mario 3D Land that incorporated the large star coins that were findable my first time through and added a slight level of challenge to each level. The controls never felt awkward, twitchy, or irritating. Any gimmick that the 3DS brought to the table, be it 3D or the gyroscope, was a bonus instead of required. The levels were fun to explore without being over-punishing. And the levels were all short enough for a quick pick-up and play. Sonic Lost Worlds failed this on all regards.

While I get that it’s just a port from the Wii U, and a portable one at that, I had higher hopes for this game after playing Sonic Generations. But this game is just too hard to control to make it worth my while. Definitely wasn’t worth the cash I’d paid for it.
  26. Mar 13, 2014
    Really, the only things holding the 3DS version of the game back are some continuity issues (seriously, we spent the whole of Sonic Colours trying to free the Wisps, succeed, but they're back with no explanation what so ever), and the gyroscope segments. I know a few 3DS games have gyroscope segments, but this is THE WORST use of them. Especially in the special stages. Other than those two gripes, it's a great game. Expand
  27. Mar 17, 2014
    I actually am confused to why some people are giving these games 10's. IGN said this was a Mario Galaxy ripoff- thats dumb. That's not why I hate this game. The reason I hate this game because it is a broken one. Soundtrack: Compared to the rest of the lineup from Sonic games, (hell, even '06 had pretty good music!) the music was nothing to write home about. Pretty standard, a little jazz during some of the boss fights that I appreciate, but that's actually all I can remember about the music. Sonic moves slow, and thats okay. I could easily forgive that because people do complain about his speed in reviews almost always, so that was SEGA trying to appease in some ways. However, I cant forgive because of the horrible level design. Sonic moves slow, and you can tell here. Even Sonic Rush, a fully 2-D game gave me a better sense of speed. But thats always apparent as he trudges through the levels, which is a pretty acurate description of what you'll be doing. Remember Unleashed and those nigh stages that took hopefully less than seventeen minutes to complete? Some of the levels in this game have time limits of 20 minutes. 20 minutes, for a character solely based on speed. Levels include misdirection of what you're supposed to do - for example, there's a move that sonic has to preform to stun enemies is not well implemented, so only by pressing buttons at random will teach you how to beat enemies, which I learned through tiring trial and error. Sonic's homing attack locks onto other enemies, so trying to hit one will end up sending you flying into 5 other ones, possibly one that can only be killed using the stun attack, leaving you with a dead sonic for soemthing the game forced you to do. Overall, the parkour was not impresive. I was one of the few actually looking forward to all the things that Sega could do with it...in reality sonic gets a rainbow trail and can run up walls and on walls. This isnt anything new, really, not only for the way that the parkour is presented, but also by sonic game standards.The graphics look nice, which is why I'm giving it a 3 instead of a 2. However, i've seen some people praising the cutscene graphics. The cutscene graphics are mauled and look pixelated. Compare that to the graphics of Fire Emblem, a much longer, better-looking, content-filled game, which has cutscenes that look absolutely gorgeous. But compare the release dates. Fire Emblem was released on April 19, 2013, while Lost World was released on October 22, 2013. Laziness? Yes. Which is sad to think that this game was co-created by DIMPS, creator of Sonic Rush, possibly the most solid Sonic title to date. The Zeti characters are nothing special, mostly just stereotypes. There's the fat one. He likes food. There's the girl. She's angry that she 'chipped a nail'. THis isn't anything groundbreaking, and often the plot introduces things that are nonsensical. There's a mgic conch that causes them to be unable to use their powers? I think? The writers from Sonic Colors are back and while Sonic Colors can be tolerable and alright at times, it's horribly forced here. Tails becomes whiny about Sonic not believing he can fix something, and that becomes a secondary plot line...just...stupid. Eggman has some alright lines and the voice actor has a great performance, as does Roger Craig Smith, but a terrible script and plot can't save anything. Something else I'd like to add (although I havent even covered everything) is the special stages. The worst implementation of gyroscope that I have ever seen, you'll twist and turn like a dunce for an hour, leaving you with a feeling of actual nausea. Avoid this title. It's aggravating with horrible controls and camera, horribly designed levels that strip Sonic of his speed and make him push around apples and snowballs for a couple hours. Expand

1. Dec 13, 2013
    While Sonic Lost World isn’t a terrible game, I feel as though Sega missed the mark quite a bit here. The controls are very touchy and at times downright horrible, the auto-target feature can get you into trouble with the homing attack, and the novelty of the Special Stages wears off quickly.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    Great potential squandered by unimaginative level design and cheap mechanical failings. [Christmas 2013, p.82]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    While some infrequent instances of poor game design prevent the game from being an absolute success, it's still a very worthy entry in the Sonic franchise that can keep up with and, in some areas, even surpass its home console counterpart.