• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 29, 2013
  • Also On: Wii U
6.5

1. Oct 30, 2013
    A sonic game where sonic can't even run fast is like a racing game where the cars cap out at 20mph. The game is nauseating, boring, the camera is horrible and will make you miss a lot of jumps, it's a shameless and horrible bastardization of Mario Galaxy. The only reason i'm not giving it a 0 is because the graphics both ingame and during cutscenes and the 3D are actually pretty impressive. Everything else about Lost World, however, is not. I'd say just get the WiiU version but from what I'm hearing, that one is having a lot of the same problems too. Expand
  2. Jan 26, 2014
    I've been a Sonic fan since day 1 and this game is pretty trash. They controls are clunky, the mechanics are dumb, there are faaaaaar too many instant death pits, and its just beyond frustrating.

I couldn't recommend this to anyone when we have so many better Sonic titles out there like the re-release of the classics that keep coming out, the Sonic Rush series and even the Sonic
    Generations 3DS game. Go pick old copies of those up. They capture the good stuff that is real Sonic. Expand
  3. Dec 29, 2013
    This sonic game in my opinion is the worst I have ever played (I have never actual player Sonic 06. SO DON'T GIVE ME CRAP ABOUT IT!) and I was hoping it would live up to the legacy of Sonic Generations or Sonic Colors. But this game feels all clunky and confusing. Sonic can move pretty fast in this game, but you'll run into an obstacle like a closed door very often. Plus the game continuously tries to bring in ideas from other platformers, like Mario. Though none of these ideas fit or work, and they only seem to make the game more clunky and slow. It just seems to miss the one thing that makes a Sonic game a Sonic game, and that's going fast. But when they continuously put stupid obstacles like closed door or mini bosses, that only happen to slow you down. Than the entire point of this game get's ruined. Plus some of the levels are just confusing and somewhat random. And don't bring up those godawful special levels. The only real positives are the nice graphics and amazing sound track. I mean I use to really love Sonic the Hedgehog games, but I think it's time Sega either get's their act together or let him die off. 3/10 Expand
  4. Nov 18, 2013
    While the game looks great and has that awe inspiring bright Sonic color scheme, the game play is terrible, the auto aim control does whatever the hell it wants and the flow gets frustrating after a very short amount of time. I truly despise games that ask more of the player than the mechanics of the game can afford. The camera is possibly one of the worst recent implementations of a camera in a 3D environment I have ever seen.

All in all, avoid this title.
  5. Feb 18, 2014
    I recently went to Mexico to visit my wife’s family. For the trip I went out and purchased Sonic Lost Worlds for my 3DS. I couldn’t get past the first level before realizing I’d made a huge mistake.

I had also brought along Mario 3d Land so I could kind of compare the two, since both of them are astoundingly similar. Both are platformers, both run on the “get to the end of the level”
    mechanic, and both incorporate power-ups and collectables in the games.

Sonic LW had the issues of control. It was too slow if I wasn’t running, and it got unweildly if I ran for too long. I discovered that a lot of the collectables I’d have to go back and replay a level for which I didn’t much care for. Replayability isn’t about forcing your player to go back and replay the game if they want 100% completion. It’s about encouraging them. When in the first few levels I ran into several bubbles that were greyed out indicating that I hadn’t gotten what I’d needed yet, it made me frustrated because I was all, “Did I miss something?”

The different gravity idea was pretty neat, I have to admit. Seems like Sonic Xtreme finally got some sort of debut after all, but it still didn’t do away with the endless pits that have plagued 3d Sonic games since Sonic Adventure.

The controls, aside from twitchy, weren’t well thought out. If I have a double jump AND a homing attack, and I have 4 buttons near my right thumb alone, why the hell are they both on the jump button? I can’t begin to count the amount of times I died trying to double jump only to homing attack or vice versa. The game isn’t very clear what it wants me to do a lot of the time either. In world 2 I encountered an enemy that kept hurting me when I tried to use a homing attack. It also kept hurting me when I used a spin dash. When I finally figured out that the spin dash did do something to it, it took me too long to figure out that after the spin dash I needed to do that ultra-homing attack, despite the target being in spin-dash range. (The enemy also had no rebound, so when I’d do the spin dash, half the time I’d stop right inside his hit box and get hit instead of bouncing off like most enemies.)

The bonus levels were novel, I have to admit, but I was extremely disappointed while on the plane to discover that I couldn’t use the control stick at all. I had to move the entire 3DS, which in a normal situation at home wouldn’t be a problem, but any time I’m traveling makes it next to impossible to play. I eventually figured out that there was a “hold” button which would let me, effectively, recalibrate the 3DS’ position letting me essentially keep swiping with my 3DS instead of trying to turn 360 degrees in my cramped seat on the airplane.

Compare this to Super Mario 3D Land that incorporated the large star coins that were findable my first time through and added a slight level of challenge to each level. The controls never felt awkward, twitchy, or irritating. Any gimmick that the 3DS brought to the table, be it 3D or the gyroscope, was a bonus instead of required. The levels were fun to explore without being over-punishing. And the levels were all short enough for a quick pick-up and play. Sonic Lost Worlds failed this on all regards.

While I get that it’s just a port from the Wii U, and a portable one at that, I had higher hopes for this game after playing Sonic Generations. But this game is just too hard to control to make it worth my while. Definitely wasn’t worth the cash I’d paid for it.
  6. Nov 24, 2013
    I love Sonic and I always have. I remember staring google eyed at the first game in my local game store when I was eleven years old. And so the love affair began. Sonic 1,2,3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Advance... All great classic titles that fill me with joy and nostalgia. Of course, there have been some truly hideous Sonic titles sent out there too. Although it's beloved by a certain contingent, I felt the rot got semi-started by Sonic Adventure 2 which was buggy and poorly made. And then it got worse; Sonic Heroes, the Sonic Rush series, the Sonic Advance sequels, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed and... Possibly the worst game OF ALL TIME, take a bow Sonic '06. But the blue blur has bounced back in recent years. Sonic Colors pulled Sonic out of the crapper and games like Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, Sonic 4: Episode II and the sublime Sonic Generations kept him out. And now we have Sonic: Lost World on 3DS. Which is... Unbelievably bad. The unfortunate trait of forcing in mechanics that don't work or belong has been pushed into overdrive with this game. Sega has thrown everything and anything at the wall to see what sticks. Here's a hint, Sega; NONE OF IT DOES! Infuriating design choices, limited actual 'platforming' levels (the kind of which are unhindered by awful gimmicks), a crazy amount of trial and error... It's just bad heaped upon bad. And it's really unforgiving to boot. That's such a shame because the demo was tons of fun. Why can't they make a game like that without messing it up with all kinds of annoying additions? I sincerely hope that the WiiU version is better because this awful title represents a real stumbling block for the franchise. Basically; avoid this game at all costs! Expand
  7. Jan 19, 2014
    You will like it only if you like 3D platformer games. Even though I love original Sonic series, 3D versions of those give totally different experience and basically those are totally different games.
  8. Jan 26, 2014
    Frozen Factory 3. That is all. As if the game wasn't terrible enough already due to incredibly bad controls, they give me Frozen Factory 3. I actually ragequitted there for real. If you don't believe me, look up the Sonic Lost World 3DS playthrough by Cobanermani456 on youtube. That guy is known for his unbelievable patience, and even he ragequitted on Frozen Factory 3. Later, he did beat it, but then he ragequitted again, permanently, on Sky Road 2.

This game is the new Sonic 06, avoid at all costs.
  9. Mar 17, 2014
    I actually am confused to why some people are giving these games 10's. IGN said this was a Mario Galaxy ripoff- thats dumb. That's not why I hate this game. The reason I hate this game because it is a broken one. Soundtrack: Compared to the rest of the lineup from Sonic games, (hell, even '06 had pretty good music!) the music was nothing to write home about. Pretty standard, a little jazz during some of the boss fights that I appreciate, but that's actually all I can remember about the music. Sonic moves slow, and thats okay. I could easily forgive that because people do complain about his speed in reviews almost always, so that was SEGA trying to appease in some ways. However, I cant forgive because of the horrible level design. Sonic moves slow, and you can tell here. Even Sonic Rush, a fully 2-D game gave me a better sense of speed. But thats always apparent as he trudges through the levels, which is a pretty acurate description of what you'll be doing. Remember Unleashed and those nigh stages that took hopefully less than seventeen minutes to complete? Some of the levels in this game have time limits of 20 minutes. 20 minutes, for a character solely based on speed. Levels include misdirection of what you're supposed to do - for example, there's a move that sonic has to preform to stun enemies is not well implemented, so only by pressing buttons at random will teach you how to beat enemies, which I learned through tiring trial and error. Sonic's homing attack locks onto other enemies, so trying to hit one will end up sending you flying into 5 other ones, possibly one that can only be killed using the stun attack, leaving you with a dead sonic for soemthing the game forced you to do. Overall, the parkour was not impresive. I was one of the few actually looking forward to all the things that Sega could do with it...in reality sonic gets a rainbow trail and can run up walls and on walls. This isnt anything new, really, not only for the way that the parkour is presented, but also by sonic game standards.The graphics look nice, which is why I'm giving it a 3 instead of a 2. However, i've seen some people praising the cutscene graphics. The cutscene graphics are mauled and look pixelated. Compare that to the graphics of Fire Emblem, a much longer, better-looking, content-filled game, which has cutscenes that look absolutely gorgeous. But compare the release dates. Fire Emblem was released on April 19, 2013, while Lost World was released on October 22, 2013. Laziness? Yes. Which is sad to think that this game was co-created by DIMPS, creator of Sonic Rush, possibly the most solid Sonic title to date. The Zeti characters are nothing special, mostly just stereotypes. There's the fat one. He likes food. There's the girl. She's angry that she 'chipped a nail'. THis isn't anything groundbreaking, and often the plot introduces things that are nonsensical. There's a mgic conch that causes them to be unable to use their powers? I think? The writers from Sonic Colors are back and while Sonic Colors can be tolerable and alright at times, it's horribly forced here. Tails becomes whiny about Sonic not believing he can fix something, and that becomes a secondary plot line...just...stupid. Eggman has some alright lines and the voice actor has a great performance, as does Roger Craig Smith, but a terrible script and plot can't save anything. Something else I'd like to add (although I havent even covered everything) is the special stages. The worst implementation of gyroscope that I have ever seen, you'll twist and turn like a dunce for an hour, leaving you with a feeling of actual nausea. Avoid this title. It's aggravating with horrible controls and camera, horribly designed levels that strip Sonic of his speed and make him push around apples and snowballs for a couple hours. Expand
  10. May 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I'm a huge Sonic fan. In my book, Sonic beats Mario any day. And typically, that alone is enough to make me enjoy a Sonic game, purely from a loyalty standpoint and for love of the character.

But man… this one just isn't good.

One of my least favorite parts of any Sonic game is any section that has no "floor"; jumping across platforms that you can just fall off of into nothingness and die. In the best Sonic games, though, those sections are usually few and far between, inserted to offer up some fresh challenge before moving on to the next level. However, in Lost World, an overly-large percentage of the game consists of precariously running/jumping around on floating surfaces and trying to avoid falling off the sides. For me, too much of that is just not fun.

Some have complained that this game is too slow, but really, I don't think it's necessarily too slow (I mean, Sonic can still move quickly if you want him to) so much as that lots of the levels are just too long. It feels weird for me to be saying that as a complaint, since one of the things I usually LIKE about Sonic games are levels that are good and long and urge a lot of exploration. But in this game, the longest levels are just excruciating and boring. (A few have time limits of up to 24 MINUTES.) For instance, one level has you pushing snowballs around until they get bigger and bigger and then depositing them in holes. Another level has you pushing giant apples around and then depositing them in holes. (???)

And on that point: there's a storyline that runs through the course of the game via cutscenes, and yet it has virtually nothing to do with the gameplay. (WHY am I pushing apples around? Beats me.) For example--and here's a storyline spoiler--later on in the game, Eggman captures Tails and enslaves him to do Eggman's bidding. What a cool opportunity for some in-game conflict, right? I'd have loved to play a level--or at least a boss fight--where I'm up against Tails and his gadgets! But that's not to be. That conflict exists and gets resolved only in the cutscenes, and shows up nowhere in the gameplay. What a wasted opportunity! It's a shame; in fact, at times, I found myself more interested in the cutscenes than I was in the gameplay. That is NOT a good sign.

I give this game a 3 because it's not all bad. Every world has a few side-scrolling levels in addition to all of the running-forward-in-3D-and-trying-not-to-fall-off-the-edge levels, and these levels are what I was hoping the entire game would be. Unfortunately, even these levels somehow feel like they should be more fun than they actually are, and they aren't enough to save the game as a whole.

1. Dec 13, 2013
    While Sonic Lost World isn’t a terrible game, I feel as though Sega missed the mark quite a bit here. The controls are very touchy and at times downright horrible, the auto-target feature can get you into trouble with the homing attack, and the novelty of the Special Stages wears off quickly.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    Great potential squandered by unimaginative level design and cheap mechanical failings. [Christmas 2013, p.82]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    While some infrequent instances of poor game design prevent the game from being an absolute success, it's still a very worthy entry in the Sonic franchise that can keep up with and, in some areas, even surpass its home console counterpart.