• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 29, 2013
  • Also On: Wii U
6.5

1. Mar 24, 2014
    This game is good; not great, but, it did supply me with a about a dozen hours of entertainment.

First of all, the best part is that most ports from consoles to handhelds are usually a massive dog turd, but this is one of the better adaptations you can have. The controls feel responsive (which is especially good as this looks like it took a page out of Super Mario Galaxy's book) and I like the majority of the level design; the colours are vibrant and fun, and throughout the game, I enjoyed playing through these levels. Also, when i beat it, I'm a person who likes to get high scores on each level, or goes to collect the Red Rings, so, the replay value appealed to me.

However, this game is nowhere near perfect, as some things about this I really didn't like; there's only a couple of things I don't like, but they're still big issues. Firstly, the cutscenes are beyond awful; the Wii U has brilliant HD cutscenes, to accompany it's mediocre gameplay (In my opinion), the 3DS' cutscenes look as if you shrunk a JPEG, enlarged it back to normal, and then preshrunk. It's all pixelated and ugly.

The other issue I had was the bosses; they all had a certain cliche to them, which meant they were all generic and it was incredibly cringey whenever SEGA tried to make them funny. It wasn't just their character, however; their fights were average, but there wasn't anything too criminal about them.

If you're a long time Sonic fan, or a big fan of the Super Mario Galaxy games, you'll really like this game.

If you dislike the Sonic games, you will probably really hate this game too.

If you're like me, someone who doesn't really pay attention to the Sonic games, but have played a few and didn't mind them, you should probably play the demo first and see if you like it first. Not bad, nor great; just good.
  2. May 23, 2014
    The game is 8.4 marks for me , but i think i need to pull up the average score , so i put 10 marks ._.
    I play sonic game since gameboy and i feel the game is getting better..... The game really not that bad as you guy thought ._.
    Hitting the monster while running will lost the tempo , speed running up the hill or wall is greatly decrease ,you have to press run to run , and low amount of content as all sonic games did.
    However!!Look at the impressive improvement of graphic , a new kind of gamestyle, the great part of the game absolutely overweight the bad parts, once you use to it hundred percent is a good game.
  3. LBC
    Oct 31, 2013
    A very solid game! Unlike Sonic Generations on 3DS, Lost World is not a pared down version of its console counterpart. It is a full fledged iteration of the game with its own quirks and personality. Local multiplayer is a welcome addition. With his new moves you can hurl yourself along with a high degree of confidence knowing that Sonic will grab on to ledges or run up walls.
  4. Oct 31, 2013
    Good- the 3d levels and very well made, graphics are good for the 3ds, parkour is a great idea, you can get a good sense of speed once you get going.
    bad- the control is too sensitive i never feel i have full control over sonic, the 2d levels are not made well and always seem to punish me for going fast, and i never feel like playing levels again after beating them.
    before the fans start
    before the fans start raging at me you should know I've been a sonic fan all my life, i've played almost all the game and enjoyed most of them one way or another. i ever enjoy some of the lesser liked titles such as sonic unleashed(including some werehog levels) shadow the hedgehog, and sonic heroes(one of the best in my opinion). i feel that sonic generations was on the right track for sonic games, but with the control problems, and bad 2d levels sonic lost world is just good, not anything more
  5. Nov 4, 2013
    This is a sad game!
    Negatives:
    - Very loose controls flying off to pits. - Long getting hit pause. - WTH, Special Stage. - Boring worlds. Positives: - Story. - Music. - Interesting new control mechanics. Seriously though, there is a good game hidden here somewhere and I welcome the challenge, if only they improved the controls (Tighter controls) and modified the level design
    This is a sad game!
    Negatives:
    - Very loose controls flying off to pits.
    - Long getting hit pause.
    - WTH, Special Stage.
    - Boring worlds.
    Positives:
    - Story.
    - Music.
    - Interesting new control mechanics.

Seriously though, there is a good game hidden here somewhere and I welcome the challenge, if only they improved the controls (Tighter controls) and modified the level design not having mostly 80% pits per level but the other way around.
  6. Nov 3, 2013
    Sonic's biggest problem today was his biggest asset and that is his speed. In a 3D world this is where Mario dominates. Mario had more control in 3D over Sonic. Sega has really have to be able to transition Sonic to a 3D world or leave him into a 2D side scroller.
  7. Nov 3, 2013
    Looks like Sega missed adding sonic's speed in the game.But if you think about it, 3DS is not a platform where you get a high speed game. I mean Sonic Generations 3DS was fast and good, but you won't play that game until you are in your room and relaxed. Sonic lost world is made as a 5-minute break game so it is not supposed to be hard or requiring maneuvers.The Design and control isLooks like Sega missed adding sonic's speed in the game.But if you think about it, 3DS is not a platform where you get a high speed game. I mean Sonic Generations 3DS was fast and good, but you won't play that game until you are in your room and relaxed. Sonic lost world is made as a 5-minute break game so it is not supposed to be hard or requiring maneuvers.The Design and control is superb but the graphics,speed and bit of other factors felt lacking. But overall, it's a pretty good game, but certainly not the out of the world thing you would expect from SEGA. Expand
  8. Nov 7, 2013
    Good game, bad experience. This game has an innovative concept with a top notch soundtrack from Tomoya Ohtani and gourgeous-looking graphics, it has problems though:

1) Way too long levels Not all of them of course, but some are just repetitive (Tropical Resort 2), too gimmicky (Tropical Resort 3/Frozen Factory 2) or just too hard (Frozen Factory 1). 2)Bad camera choices: too zoomed

1) Way too long levels

2)Bad camera choices: too zoomed in (Windy Hill 3); you can't see where you are going to (Sky Road 2)

3)Smart Controls are Dumb.
    Serial homing attack deserved it's own button here. You will end up homing on a lot of ememies, not unfrequently onto an offscreen one. Leaving that to the 'L' button would have been a better choice.

4) Bad introduction to the game mechanics
    Sonic Rush Adventure had a small tutorial that made you understand every little feature of the game, Sonic Colors DS also had a tutorial for each Wisp. Windy Hill tutorial is useless.

I think with some patches this could have been a 9 or 10 but these flaws... no. They are annoying and game breaking
  9. May 26, 2014
    This game is ok. some levels are good, some are OK, but the rest....... a huge NO. NO NO NO NO! 1/2 the time you'll run into these giant turtles that will slow down the pace to a screeching halt. What you need to do is home in onto them. multiple times, and more times than not, you'll be fighting multiple at once. Also, the jump function, another NO. even if your walking (by not pressingThis game is ok. some levels are good, some are OK, but the rest....... a huge NO. NO NO NO NO! 1/2 the time you'll run into these giant turtles that will slow down the pace to a screeching halt. What you need to do is home in onto them. multiple times, and more times than not, you'll be fighting multiple at once. Also, the jump function, another NO. even if your walking (by not pressing R) you'll immediately accelerate to running speed, which REALLY screws up precision platforming, which this game should NOT have because its a sonic game. Though the music could get pretty cool, especially silent forest, which has the best music in my opinion, but places like frozen factory, has uninspiring music. Even the best music in this game can't compare with the music in Sonic Colors. Also, most enemies you cannot hit by just homing in onto them, no, they have SWEET SPOTS, and if you don't hit those spots, there goes your rings! Now, that ok, but NOT in a game like this. But you do have a stun power, but its just annoying. How about the levels? GOD AWFUL! Lets talk about how they are horrible by category:
    1. Forced color powers.
    Now, color powers in sonic colors were fun, but in this game, they are necessary, or else more often than not YOU WILL DIE. and since they have a time limit, thats HARRIBLE (no, not horrible, HARRIBLE. the "A" just makes it sound worse than horrible, say it out loud.)
    2. Tube-shaped levels
    At first, i thought this was a good idea. Only when you are outside the tube. but when you are inside the tube, it get very slippery, because there is gaps. Remember how i said you accelerate when you jump? Yeah, you really realize hoe horrible it gets during these parts (which is the second level by the way!)
    Lets talk about how the levels work. Most likely, you won't find a smooth ride to point A, to point B. You will most likely have to push some buttons, or push fruit, or navigate around horrible level design to get to the end. Oh, and one more thing: Frozen factory, level 3. NO.
  10. Nov 21, 2013
    It's okay, the game has a decent control scheme without it being too frustrating at times, the touch screen is simple to use and activate color powers without it being annoying, and the gameplay and story are fine... However, the level design starts out fun, then progressively gets worse and worse as you play, with occasionally fun levels, then more bad levels. Example, Frozen Factory 3.It's okay, the game has a decent control scheme without it being too frustrating at times, the touch screen is simple to use and activate color powers without it being annoying, and the gameplay and story are fine... However, the level design starts out fun, then progressively gets worse and worse as you play, with occasionally fun levels, then more bad levels. Example, Frozen Factory 3. I'm actually good at these kinds of games(usually), and how long did it take me to beat this level my first time? 20. Minutes. See, what some levels like the one stated base it around a dumb gimmick, and you do it over, and over, and over, until you finish the level. This formula almost always applies to the 3D flat land levels where you turn the camera It genuinely feels like the developers for the 3DS version, Dimps, tried to make it a puzzle platform in these kinds of levels. Cool. But, if you're going to make a level like that, make it short and sweet, don't shove it down my throat and tell me that it's my life for the next 10-20 minutes. If the game only used the 2D and 3D levels for the game, it probably would have been a lot more fun. But the 3D Flat lands are just tedious and just makes it not fun to play. The bosses are fun and somewhat challenging. What I know about the Wii U version is only from videos I have seen, but it looks far better than the 3ds version. I do know that Volcano zone is an actual zone on the Wii u. 3DS version? Boss rush.

Also, the special stages... where to start with those. You fly around collecting orbs with the gyroscope, but it's so tedious to use the normal controls for assist that you will inevitably just walk around wherever you are to complete the level. Avoid, unless you really want super sonic.

All in all, I would rather recommend the Wii U version, since it looks better in pretty much every way, but if you don't have a Wii U, go ahead and take a risk with the 3DS version, you might find yourself liking it.
  11. Jan 8, 2014
    While the Wii U version is fun, the 3DS version is ok. While the visuals look good and the music is great, the level design is too bloated and too long. It just feels way too long (some levels are 6-7 minutes long) and some of the levels are downright frustrating. The game is good for a Sonic handheld, but it could have been done much better.
  12. Mar 13, 2014
    Really, the only things holding the 3DS version of the game back are some continuity issues (seriously, we spent the whole of Sonic Colours trying to free the Wisps, succeed, but they're back with no explanation what so ever), and the gyroscope segments. I know a few 3DS games have gyroscope segments, but this is THE WORST use of them. Especially in the special stages. Other than those twoReally, the only things holding the 3DS version of the game back are some continuity issues (seriously, we spent the whole of Sonic Colours trying to free the Wisps, succeed, but they're back with no explanation what so ever), and the gyroscope segments. I know a few 3DS games have gyroscope segments, but this is THE WORST use of them. Especially in the special stages. Other than those two gripes, it's a great game. Expand
  13. Jul 23, 2014
    This game is great,but it has its problems.I dont like how people say this game is slow it has a perfect mix of platforming and speed and if you are good enough you can go really fast.This game has problems it does but they can be easily fixed in the next lost world game.
  14. Nov 14, 2014
    Frustrating. if ya wanna a Review in a Nutshell,that's the words to describe it.

it starts Promissing. The Parkour freatures are easy to learn and hard to master,and to me this is ok and the way it should be. Sonic can be controlable in any way you want,and that makes the game able for inteligent game design,that focus much more on platforming than on high speed. and i think that a good balance of both is what makes a sonic game,and dimps made it right.

but the positives ends here.
    While Windy Hill and Desert Ruin are basically easy levels,the game starts to become more life threatening when you enter Tropical Island. the majority of the next leves are good,but the Gimmicks of wisps,Rockets and Snowball Monsters,in certain levels (Tropical Island act2,Frozen Factory act 3 and Sky Road Act 3) will make you tear your hair off. while Tropical Island and Frozen Factory are still enjoyable with enough practice (that is a good thing in my opnion,and the way it should be),i still did not find a way to play properly in sky road act 3... that level will make you scream... oh boy...

the error here is the focus on gyro controls, the use of it on Sky Road is confusing,and i cant get it to work properly... and this is a huge disapointment to me. and the Special stages are another case of bad use of gyro controls. while i enjoy the way they are presented to me,like sonic is a jet fighter, stand up,turn the 3DS up and down and all arround (Speed highway reference) made me dizzy a lot of times... i needed to sit down for 2 or 3 minutes after every play on the special stages just to be oriented properly again...i swear you lose your sense of direction playin' that special stages.

The ammount of Do or Die situations doesn't help either,half the game you can do with no problems,but the other half you'll need to get every gimmick right,or else you'll plummet to the earth and die. with some training you can do it... but prepare to see the game over screen a lot of times if you're not carefull. and for those who just want to run at full speed,NO,this is not the game for you. you need to use your head in a lot of situations,and often slow down a bit. i know it's boring,but for me that's how sonic design should be. not dumbly going at 3000km/h like in generations.and train the use of the wisps because you'll need it... some i like (Laser,Drill,Burst,Lightning),some i dislike(Asteroid,Quake).

and the bosses: Seriously that they are deadly?! hahaha... they are pushovers in battle. with the right strategy,or the use of wisps,you can take them down in 30 seconds,or less... what makes them look like child's play. but one good point of them is that i like their personality,especially the over the top Zazz... overall they are ok... just easy...

well the history:
    it's allright in my opnion,and i like the focus on more serious words ("You goin' home in a box,and "I'll get fat from eating your black hearts,you eggman wannabes")... those were the more memorable moments and the cherry in the cake. i personally like it a LOT. but is is adequate for a sonic game?! well... no...
    the story is well writen,and will make you laugh at times... but it has it's hard moments...

Music: oh my god... if there's one thing that Sonic team and Dimps knows how to do,is the sound track,it is AMAZING. and while i mentioned i hated sky road act 3,it's music is so badass i often turn the game on just to listen to it. every song in this game is beautiful... Dragon Dance,Frozen Factory1 and Juice Archipelago being my favorites.

RC Vehicles and Itens: the Rc vehicles will be your table of salvation. have them always with you,because you'll gonna need them. my favorites are the Jet,the Stealth Bomber and the Hovercraft. because they are much usefull in their gold modes... but in my opnion the golden vehicles for the most part spoils the game... so,you should only use them in the stages i mentioned before: ESPECIALLY IN SKY ROAD ACT 3. you gonna need the golden hovercraft,believe me... the other ones... the helo is okay and the Omochao... well... kinda unecessary... but okay too... and have always the life capsule item with you,ya gonna need it. make a lot of them and always go on with at least 10 or so of those things.

My final Veredict: 6/10
    if it wasn't frustrating at some points and used the game design better with less do or die situations it could be ranked much higher. This engine of dimps has promisse,it just needs to be used Right in my opnion. less focus on dificulty and do or die situations,and more focus on inteligent design. if this is done correctly,i can picture it beign much better.
  15. Jan 9, 2015
    i don't understand why people say this game is, meh. ITS NOT! its not bad and i would say better that the wii u version. give it a 8. people say "OOH HE DONT GO FASHT IN DIS , OH IT LIKE MARIO AND ME NO LIKE MARIO , OH IT NEEDS TO BE LIKE CALL OF DOOTY!" people dont get what is so amazing about this game and pretty much every sonic game. i see sonic games like 6/10 to 8.5/10. sonic is mahi don't understand why people say this game is, meh. ITS NOT! its not bad and i would say better that the wii u version. give it a 8. people say "OOH HE DONT GO FASHT IN DIS , OH IT LIKE MARIO AND ME NO LIKE MARIO , OH IT NEEDS TO BE LIKE CALL OF DOOTY!" people dont get what is so amazing about this game and pretty much every sonic game. i see sonic games like 6/10 to 8.5/10. sonic is mah favorite game franchise ever. and its good to make a long story short. Expand
  16. Apr 15, 2015
    Eh. For sonic's first 3d handheld game, they messed it up.. The game starts out very fun. I like the parkour. And I think its fun. But why does this game has a low score. Its because of the intense blinding rage I have deep within my soul from every other level. THEY TAKE FOR EVER TO COMPLETE, THEY ARE BORING, AND THEY JUST ARE CHEAP. sorry.

1. Dec 13, 2013
    While Sonic Lost World isn’t a terrible game, I feel as though Sega missed the mark quite a bit here. The controls are very touchy and at times downright horrible, the auto-target feature can get you into trouble with the homing attack, and the novelty of the Special Stages wears off quickly.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    Great potential squandered by unimaginative level design and cheap mechanical failings. [Christmas 2013, p.82]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    While some infrequent instances of poor game design prevent the game from being an absolute success, it's still a very worthy entry in the Sonic franchise that can keep up with and, in some areas, even surpass its home console counterpart.