8.0

1. Nov 22, 2011
    This game is criminally short. What you actually play is so fun and wonderful and at times fairly challenging. It's just a con putting this game out though at a full £40 initial price because there is nowhere near enough content despite being utterly brilliant all the way through. And I'm sorry but online 16 player dogfights woould hae been immense!!!!
  2. Dec 21, 2011
    Fans only.

Would NOT recommend paying for this if you're curious about it and have never played the original. It's incredibly short and simple. The story is hilariously bad, as is the dialogue and voice acting. It's entertaining the same way an arcade game is, but it's very very easy. You can't compare this to Skyrim, LA Noire, and other AAA titles, it's a throwback and that's all. Buy
    Fans only.

You can't compare this to Skyrim, LA Noire, and other AAA titles, it's a throwback and that's all. Buy it for the nostalgia, if you're new to the series.. be warned it will not be worth your 40 quid.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Star Fox 64 3D is a fantastic game at it's base however this remake feels like it could have added so much more. The gameplay itself is tight with great controls and an N64 or N3DS alternative for controls you can't go wrong with how the game itself plays, It's Star Fox 64 but better. Implementation of 3D and new presentation and graphics makes this game look colorful and fantastic withStar Fox 64 3D is a fantastic game at it's base however this remake feels like it could have added so much more. The gameplay itself is tight with great controls and an N64 or N3DS alternative for controls you can't go wrong with how the game itself plays, It's Star Fox 64 but better. Implementation of 3D and new presentation and graphics makes this game look colorful and fantastic with explosions here and there really complimenting the graphic style. Now where the problem comes in is with the lack of additional functions within the game, such as an online mode or additional time attack modes etc..
    The game has added local multiplayer which is extremely fun and a pleasure to play with a set of friends, however this feature falls flat if you don't have friends with a 3DS system which is disappointing. Graphics: 8
    Presentation:8
    Gameplay: 7
    Longevity: 6
    Sound: 7
  4. Apr 22, 2012
    What there IS of it is good. But I just cannot tell anyone, in good conscience, to buy this game and spend $30+ on it. I beat this game in less than 3 hours, and was like what, "That's It?". Definitely agree with the "criminally short" comment.
  5. Feb 16, 2014
    Alot of fun, but very short if you're only going to play through the once. Visually,it's better than the original and the controls are as tight as ever. I'm just not convinced this needed to be a full retail release
  6. Sep 14, 2011
    There's no doubt that Star Fox 64 3D is a fine remake of an old classic, but some people may find it very short. To complete the story once takes only an hour, however the game was clearly made to be played repeatedly as there are multiple routes/missions through the story. Other routes included it took me under 5 hours to complete. Multiplayer not being online is a massive flaw, to sayThere's no doubt that Star Fox 64 3D is a fine remake of an old classic, but some people may find it very short. To complete the story once takes only an hour, however the game was clearly made to be played repeatedly as there are multiple routes/missions through the story. Other routes included it took me under 5 hours to complete. Multiplayer not being online is a massive flaw, to say that Star Fox is such a fun game for everybody. You can, once the story is completed, try the score attack mode and get medals on each mission, but for some people this isn't very appealing. Nintendo could have at least thrown in a few new bonus missions/routes to figure out. However, the graphics and controls are far superior to the original and make a great game even greater. Expand
  7. Sep 23, 2011
    As you've no doubt already heard from the general consensus, Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64 on the Nintendo 64 was a fantastic and addictive little scrolling shooter. Now, as far as remakes go, Star Fox 64 3D is impressive in that it's both very faithful to the original material and has changed enough to make the game feel fresh. Nintendo EAD and Q-Games, the joint developers, have really pushedAs you've no doubt already heard from the general consensus, Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64 on the Nintendo 64 was a fantastic and addictive little scrolling shooter. Now, as far as remakes go, Star Fox 64 3D is impressive in that it's both very faithful to the original material and has changed enough to make the game feel fresh. Nintendo EAD and Q-Games, the joint developers, have really pushed the graphical capabilities of the 3DS to make this game look, frankly, beautiful. Anyone who's played the original game will be able to appreciate the sheer increase in detail of the environments and characters, particularly the Corneria and Venom stages. The 3D effect has been toned down for Star Fox 64 3D, something I consider a wise move from Nintendo as I don't feel the fast and hectic nature of this game would have complimented an intense 3D effect. It would have hindered gameplay and done a number on the player's eyes no doubt. The gameplay is relatively simple. Fans of the N64 version know what to expect, and newcomers can learn the ropes fairly easily. You move forward automatically on a fixed path and you shoot or dodge whatever tries to get in your way. You'll find in some stages your actions can influence the path that you take, leading you to an easier/harder route, a different boss, or even an alternate stage upon completion. Multiple paths and medals awarded for high scores gives this very short game (about an hour to an hour and a half from start to end) heaps of replay value, and that's not even considering the new gyroscope-controlled 3DS mode, which is an easier version of main game controlled completely through physically moving the 3DS. It essentially doubles the amount of stuff you have to do to 100% the game. No game is without it's shortcomings however, and Star Fox 64 3D has a bit too many for my liking. Most prominent of said shortcomings is the distinct lack on online multiplayer. It was recently revealed by Nintendo that the development team didn't want to simply tack on an online mode (despite doing so with many games in the past) so just omitted it altogether. Considering Star Fox fans have been waiting for some form of online mode for years and that this was a perfect opportunity, I see the exclusion as extremely disappointing. There's also the similarly unforgivable lack of the original voice acting. Star Fox 64 was infamous for it's voice acting and dialogue, which was the definition of so-bad-it's-good. Granted, they hired a lot of the same voice actors for the new voice-overs and recreated the tones and the accents impressively well for every character, but honestly is it so hard to put in an option for the original voices? It baffles me, it really does.

One minor gripe I had as well was with the control scheme for "N64 mode", in particular the circle pad, the means of navigation. It takes some getting used to because it seems as if the aiming or aiming sensitivity is a bit off. When first playing the game I found it significantly more difficult to hit targets that I would have otherwise done with ease on the original version. Practice has made this less of a problem, but I still run into trouble from time to time, especially when the action picks up in later levels. So that's something to watch out for. Overall, it's a faithful and impressive remake. The new voices are surprisingly well done,but I'll perpetually be disappointed with the inability to experience the original voices in the remake. I can't fault the graphical side of things because it really is beautiful, and there's plenty of replay value to keep both fans and newcomers entertained for a while. The lack of an online mode is unforgivable however. A massive wasted opportunity and a void that single-cart local multiplayer simply can't fill. If you're looking for a fun and addictive single-player experience that's easy to play in short bursts or for hours on end, this is for you.
  8. Nov 12, 2013
    I wish they had made a new game on the Wii instead to be honest.. And making a remake of a reboot is kinda pushing it a little.. Don't know why exactly, but as a fan of the first game, if they'd ever have to do a remake, I'd rather have had a remake of the SNES game, set in the SNES continuity. They could even had joined SF2 SNES with it and make a nice little bundle of awesome! AndI wish they had made a new game on the Wii instead to be honest.. And making a remake of a reboot is kinda pushing it a little.. Don't know why exactly, but as a fan of the first game, if they'd ever have to do a remake, I'd rather have had a remake of the SNES game, set in the SNES continuity. They could even had joined SF2 SNES with it and make a nice little bundle of awesome! And without the "graphics are ugly" factor that seems to put off lots of people with these games!

But I'm getting a little off topic.. The game is nice. The graphics were well updated, everything feel like the original but in higher details. There was some retconning though, notably corneria's "moon" isn't where the training stage takes place, and a couple of other things, like falco doesn't mention einstein anymore..

They remade the voice acting from scratch and even re-hired most of the original voice actors! But I feel they didn't quite match the original, especially peppy.. And the video screen at the bottom was really annoying I couldn't seem to even take a look at it given all the action was happening above.

The music seems to have gotten worse in some cases for some reasons.. Its seems they've insisted on using low quality samples, and tried to emulate the N64 synth I guess.. But the N64 game wasn't my favorite music-wise to be honest. I preferred the samples and the tracks from Starfox SNES and Starfox 2 SNES. Still, they could have done better, like those very nice orchestral arrangements in the slightly disappointing Starfox Assault.

The controls are just as fantastic as they were on the N64! The circle pad is a little tricky sometimes to move around, but you get used to it.

The only thing that really bugs me is the 3d feature, on the original 3DS its really hard to play for a long time with that on, because you keep moving the console and it distort the 3d effect and your view of the game... So I tend to just turn it off, even if its supposed to help with depth perception..

And the gyro controls are just, not my cup of coffee to be honest.. I was having enough trouble not moving while playing to see the 3d effect on the screen, this just made it worst.. And it seems not all that precise..

All in all its a decent game, you'll probably enjoy it more if you're a starfox fan though.
  9. Jan 5, 2013
    The Fox still works. The levels are okay. But the game feels old and some levels are boring. Plus; the game is far, FAR too short. 2, 3 hours max and you can beat all the levels in the game. The game is good. Yes. But Pullblox has more content. This isn't worth the price tag!
  10. Aug 4, 2013
    I enjoyed this game very much.

Some of the things I disliked however was that some of the challenges of getting a certain grade at levels in order for unlockables were just way to hard for me. I'm not great at video games, but by no means anywhere below average either. These are some of the things that ruined the lasting appeal of it for me. It is still a very good game worth
    I enjoyed this game very much.

I'm not great at video games, but by no means anywhere below average either.

These are some of the things that ruined the lasting appeal of it for me.
    It is still a very good game worth looking into.

Not as good as Star Fox Assault for the GameCube however, which is my personal favorite in the series.

11. Sep 28, 2013
    Star Fox 64 3D is really good, but the voice acting though is awful and the multiplayer is nowhere close to being fun either. I still prefer playing this on the N64. Score: 2/5.
  12. Dec 1, 2013
    Though it may look short and boring after the first playthrough, there's an impressive amount of content in the game for those who give it a try. Multiplayer is also fun, but online would've been better... Replaying levels doesn't get boring, at least not for me, especially when you're challenging people's records. StreetPass would have been a great record-sharing method. Visuals areThough it may look short and boring after the first playthrough, there's an impressive amount of content in the game for those who give it a try. Multiplayer is also fun, but online would've been better... Replaying levels doesn't get boring, at least not for me, especially when you're challenging people's records. StreetPass would have been a great record-sharing method. Visuals are pretty good, music is good, and the SOUND rating is partially redeemed by this as the voice acting is pretty pathetic. The use of 3D is quite nice. Overall, a shining gem of the 3DS' launch lineup (which was bad) and a must-have for fans of the rail-shooter games. Good, but not great.

PRESENTATION: 7.5/10
    CORE GAME: 8/10
    VISUALS: 7/10
    AUDIO: 6/10
    GAMEPLAY: 7/10
    LASTING APPEAL: 7.5/10

Overall: 7.2/10

Even fourteen years after its first release fast and variable space action Star Fox 64 remains one of the best rail shooters and the 3rd dimension fortunately doesn't ruin its original playability. [Oct 2011]
  2. Oct 28, 2011
    The graphics are beautiful, the 3D effect is very well implemented and the Arcade Mode is a good addition. Good, albeit a bit short, space action for your spare time.
  3. Oct 25, 2011
    The game shines again, as did 14 years ago, combining the nostalgia with modernity.