8.0

1. Sep 11, 2011
    I never had the luxury of playing the original Starfox 64 way back when, so playing Starfox 64 3d was a whole new experience. I must say, It is a superb game. The graphics are totally new and look sharp and provide some good looking effects. The analog controls are smooth and the gyro is fun (albeit not something I use often). And, most importantly, it is just plain enjoyable. It provides a good, solid challenge and huge amounts of replay value, and although it unfortunately lacks online play, the local play is fair fun if you have some friends with a 3ds (not to mention it's download play!). I highly recommend this game to any 3ds owner. Expand
  2. Sep 9, 2011
    This was one of nintendo 64 best game and now its on the 3DS. One of the year best 3ds games. SO far this is the best 3d effect game. If you have a 3ds this is the game to get. There is no doubt , get it. It is worth the money.It has a lot of level and very fun to play. If you loved the 64 version then you will love this version even better.
  3. Dec 29, 2011
    Awesome remake of what I consider to be the best N64 game of all time, the only issue I can thin of is that there is nothing new in this game at all. Not that the original game needed anything new to warrant a re-release, it would have been nice to see Nintendo go the extra mile and maybe add in a few new levels and online play, the later of which is a huge letdown. Still the original experience has stuck with me till this day and I remember fondly when I was a kid playing this thing from dusk till dawn. If for nothing else, the nostalgia factor alone would warrant buying this game. However I can't give it a perfect score because of the things I mentioned above and the 3D is pretty hit or miss on most levels. It's still usable most of the time, unlike some other 3DS games that have been released so far. Everyone who owns a 3DS should buy this game because it really is that fun. However your most likely going to get more out of the single-player than anything else because of the lack of online play. Still, if you own the system, this is easily in the top 5 of best games on the system. Buy it today. Expand
  4. Nov 16, 2011
    Nice that it's now possible to take such a game with you that was only playable on a big console 10 years ago. The 3D and gyro controls work well.
  5. Sep 10, 2011
    I loved playing Star Fox 64 (Lylat Wars being the UK name) when i was younger when I heard a remake was on the way, I had high hopes. This remake is what I expected it to be. Amazing upgraded graphics, remixed music and the same great game play that made the game so amazing back in the day. There is the 3DS mode where you can play the game using the gyro controls which are great and there is the Nintendo 64 mode which recreates the controls and feel of the original N64 game. There are 15 levels in the game but you play through 7 of them to get to the final boss. Every level has a secret to going through different paths which gives you access to harder routes and levels. The game has a classic arcade feel to it about trying to get the high score and level secrets. The characters are very memorable and the dialog is classic being home to many classic memes such as "Do a barrel roll!" I highly recommend getting this game if youâ Expand
  6. May 15, 2012
    Now this is a remake done with class. They have got the original game here, it even looks like the original, except with incredibly awesome graphics, there were some points that surprised me by how good they looked. Everything from the original is here, except from the very hard to unlock multiplayer mode from the original. If you liked the original, you will love this. If you haven't played the original you will love this. The only problem is that it's very short, but you will play it through at least 3 times in order to have played all the levels, 3 times on hard (N64) mode if you wish and you have multiplayer (no online or unlock-able on-foot mode) and the ability to play through each level in order to get the highest score you can. All in all, this is a very good game that all 3ds owners should have at least tried. Expand
  7. Dec 26, 2011
    If You've Played Star Fox 64 Before, And Have Loved It, Then You'll Love It On The 3DS! Though If You're Familiar With All The Levels And Such, This Game May Seem Too Easy, Or A Bit Old, But The New Graphics And Score Mode Make This Game A Worthy Buy.
  8. Mar 4, 2012
    The original star fox 64 was the best game i have ever played, and the new 3ds version is good too. Although, I would have liked to see new levels along with the old ones. The only other faults the game has are the new soundtrack and the voice acting, in my opinion, they should have kept them the same.
  9. Dec 11, 2012
    I absolutely love this game. I will tell you now if you do not enjoy replaying games and going for perfect scores then probably avoid. This game has either a ton of re-playability or none and will take you a day or 2 to finish. I enjoy replaying this over and over trying to find the best routes to get the best scores. No there are no achievements, but there is something else, FUN.
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    The original star fox 64 is my favorite game of all time and the ONLY game I have given a 10 so far. Is the remake any better? Well somehow, its possible to have a personally perfect game, be more perfect it seems! Star fox 64 3DS is a must have for all fans of shooters and sci fi, the visuals have been enhanced and they are the best the 3DS has to offer, the gameplay is very varied featuring different paths to take, getting medals is a challenge, and expert mode even more. This is the perfect game to have portable that you can quickly play and enjoy at the moment. Soundtrack is excellent and voiceovers and story very engaging. Slippy is annoying (not as annoying as Jar Jar Binks of course) but can't help but love the fact as well. Is simply beautiful, I just need a sequel now. A really long game doesn't mean its a good one, because in the ending parts you will get tired no matter how great a game like that is. This game you can play it and will play it many times! Expand
  11. Feb 18, 2012
    I can easily go along with all of the positive and mixed reviews here. The game's 3D is astounding and the story and alternate missions provide a good challenge. Yes, I realize that this game is short and I beat it one day after I got it, but the multiplayer and medals system makes up for that. Well done over all.
  12. May 22, 2012
    I never got a chance to play the original Star Fox 64 so I'm really happy that they remade this for the 3DS. It's a blast to play and packs a few fun modes and has such high replay value that it ensures that it will stay in your 3DS for a very long time. I think the multiplayer could have been better, and the campaign is pretty short, the high replay value and multiple paths will keep you coming back to it, and the multiplayer does only require one person to have the game do to download mode. The Score Attack mode which has you playing through campaign levels again for high scores is also strangely addicting, the 3DS version also supports Gyroscope controls which work well, but I personally preferred to play without them, along with new gorgeous updated graphics that look even better in 3D (seriously this game is made better in every way with 3D effect turned on). This game is awesome with cool bosses and the most insanely crazy final boss of all time (it will freak you out), missions, and gameplay. So if you missed it the first time around like me, do yourself a favor and pick this awesomely cool game up. Expand
  13. Sep 15, 2011
    This is the ideal 3DS game: Great 3D effects, short and tricky levels, pretty much perfect controls, a great storyline and voice acting and of course, fun. I've only played it for a good 30 minutes, but..well... it's just great. Don't know why I'm not giving it a 10, but 9 seems like the perfect score for it.
  14. Apr 15, 2012
    This game was really good and plus this has been my first to play this game because I have never played this on any other system the multi-player mode was pretty good.
  15. Sep 20, 2011
    Star Fox 64 3d is a fantastic game the boasts gorgeous graphics, a nice soundtrack, a some lasting appeal. The graphics are one of the biggest if not the biggest the highlight of the game. The game just looks beautiful. The framerate never drops. Even when the screen got hectic I experienced no slowdown. A huge step up from the original. They use the same MIDI soundtrack. It sets the mood nicely, but in the end it's only MIDI. The game features different paths to take like the original so they're is some replay value there; however, even with the secret paths you could chug through the main quest in 2-3 hours max. The multiplayer is a sweet bonus. It has 4 stages you can battle your friends on. The multiplayer supports 4 players via download play. It has single card play which is convenient. This game really freaking needed online play, but unfortunately it's not there. Overall the game is a great remake of an already great game. Highly consider picking this one up. Final Score: 8.5. DO A BARREL ROLL! Expand
  16. Nov 22, 2011
    This game is remade beautifully for such a portable device. The oceans, The textures, The maps, All remade as if it were on a console. Although, Star Fox 64 3D does have a flaw. The voice acting is terrible and it sounds as if it were being done by one person, They should've just sticked to the old voice acting from the N64 version instead of this crap. Other than that... This is one hell of a awesome remake and I would suggest buying it for your 3ds. Collapse
  17. Sep 19, 2011
    A great game for the 3DS that beats our the original on the N64. Perfect use of the 3D capabilities as well as the thumb stick, and pretty visually stunning when compared to the original. So much fun! It's in-depth and challenging enough to want to master, find all the secret routes and blast out some high scores, while at the same time easy enough to have a quick pick-me-up. Buy this - it's so fun! Expand
  18. Apr 16, 2012
    Beautiful game! Solid and faithful port from the n64 version with some updated graphics. gameplay wise it's okay and kinda sufferable when you use the gyro controls (which i think is more of a gimmick but i played through most of the game with it off.)

all in all, if you like these sorts of games, you'll love this. if you're not a fan of shooters, however, might want to hold out as it is
    a fairly short game with a moderate-to-low amount of replayability. Expand
  19. Nov 10, 2011
    Great game but there are problems. There is not all the multiplayer content from the n64 version with landmasters and even ground based gameplay with little to no new gameplay stuff here. But, this has some of the most addicting gameplay ever with scores making the player come back for more and more control customization with smoother graphics and frame rate.
  20. Nov 12, 2011
    Starfox comes back!!! The magical game of N64 now in a "remake" version. For 3ds this game is very good, because we can play it for a short time many times and the 3d is great. Differents ways to play this game, but maybe a little short.
  21. Dec 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i believe, as you can tell from the score, this game is astonishing. but your opinion may be different based on who you are. people who have played the game before will know and love it. the perfect controls of the n64 game feel like they are impossibly even better for this machine. hard to notice, but the best controls are never meant to be noticed as they immerse you in the game more. the characters, however flawed, are classics, and although they are ridiculous, everyone would complain if they were altered, and alas, they are still there, and not a single line has been changed. which for purists, is a good thing, as they will remember this game as having that, and despite being a bit bad, it was part of the original's character. The game is stunning to look at. the 3d adds a lot, but the graphical overhaul overrall passes for the best looking game so far on the console. however, no game should ever be judged by it's graphics, and this is no different. the gameplay was allways going to be classic since it works so, so well. the controls, as mentioned before are seamless, both using the face buttons and the gyro controls, though most will probably use the face buttons, as they are simply more intuitive. the amazing shooting has lost none of it's edge, and to an extent has a moderate amount of strategy to getting the highest scores on each level, conserving your bombs and charging lasers to get the highest score.

and trust me, you will be going for the highest score, as this game is short. 15 levels long in fact, and you can only play 7 in a playthrough. this game is only about an hour long, and that may leave non completists livid, as they will be done right then.

however, the joy of this game is playing it again and again. because each of those 15 stages are legendary and a showcase in level design. and to unlock everything in the game, you will need to get amazing scores on each of those levels. and that is no mean feat, especially on some of the harder levels such as zoness and area 6. the levels are also highly balanced. kids can be easily trundling along on levels on the easy route, but their dads can take the game often and show them how to do it on the hard route, which gets seriously hard. there is also some middle ground, which is good for both to have a challenge or to gain more points. the multiplayer is okay, but nothing revolutionary. online would have made this game a 10, but alas, all you have is download play, which is reasonable. you get the feeling online would be possible with this game as well, being a remake of a 14 year old game. alas, no.

as for new things, you get a score attack mode, where you play a single mission and aim for a high score. a welcome sight, if not an obvious inclusion. there is also a variance of difficulty, 3ds, n64, and expert, though you need medals in all of the levels to unlock expert, which is no mean feat. 3ds mode is easier than the original, and is tailored to using the gyro controls, which do slighty impede on the amount of accuracy you have, and to newer players of this generation bred on easy gaming. n64 is almost identical to the original, and what most players will play the most often. but this game is not easy on any difficulty, and you are asking for a challenge buying it.

in the end, most will enjoy this family friendly romp of excitement, but i can understand why people would not like it, and it doesn't seem to push the hardware to its extremes. however, it is the most fun you can have on a 3ds now, and has the longetivity to make it an essential purchase, if you are prepared to play one of the best games ever - again and again.
  22. Apr 12, 2012
    Star fox 64 3D is an awesome space-shooter game that has incredible graphics & 3D, fun game-play and a great soundtrack. The land master missions aren't quite as good as the other missions, but hey, they're still great! I've never experienced the apparent glory of the original Star fox 64, but i truly love the 3DS remake.
  23. Jun 15, 2012
    A magnificent remake of Star Fox 64 from Nintendo 64. Best textures, good special effects and superb 3D. But there is one drawback - the game is too short and there is no additional content.
  24. Oct 1, 2012
    Star Fox 64 is a timeless classic. The game has a forgettable story, BUT the gameplay is just PHENOMENAL. It is like nothing any game has ever seen before. When you add the kickass flight gameplay, the great voice acting and new stunning 3DS visuals, this game is a steal.If you have never played this game before, do yourself a favor.
  25. Nov 4, 2012
    An amazingly awesome game. The gameplay is superb, and the gyro controls work well. Voice acting and dialogue are a little corny, but that's part of the appeal. A must-buy for the 3DS, and does Lylat Wars proud!
  26. Nov 22, 2011

Even fourteen years after its first release fast and variable space action Star Fox 64 remains one of the best rail shooters and the 3rd dimension fortunately doesn't ruin its original playability. [Oct 2011]
  2. Oct 28, 2011
    The graphics are beautiful, the 3D effect is very well implemented and the Arcade Mode is a good addition. Good, albeit a bit short, space action for your spare time.
  3. Oct 25, 2011
    The game shines again, as did 14 years ago, combining the nostalgia with modernity.