7.8

1. Apr 11, 2014
    Steamworld Dig is an addictive and impressive mining game. This is not the handheld version of Terraria or Minecraft, as some might have you believe, since it has no crafting or survival aspects, but rather a fresh take on the simulation/adventure genre. A closer comparison is Motherload/Super Motherload. The game's story is simple, and follows a robot named Rusty who decides to take over his uncle's mine after finding him 'dead', and seeks the secrets his uncle was hiding. The objective is equally simple, being to dig down in order to find more major upgrades/tools which largely change the way you can play. You use the variety of tools in order to mine ores, sell them, and upgrade your character. While simple, the game is surprisingly fun, and maybe even obsessive for some people. However, the one con I can find is quite significant, and that is the hazards and enemies. This is a mining simulation game, without the action of games such as Terraria. This means that you're gonna be focusing on creating paths and getting ores, not fighting. Unfortunately, the enemies, such as a sprinting suicide bot, and hazards, such as falling boulders, break the feeling of tranquil mining, and may frustrate gamers after several deaths. This would not be a problem if Rusty had access to more weapons, but this is not the case.
    Pros: - Mining is simple (There's not a whole lot of depth to the mining, which is possibly the game's biggest strength. Not many other games give players as much joy as the simple ore gathering this game provides)
    - Atmospheric (The game's underground portions, where you mine, are very well done. Each 'zone' provides a different color tone and music, creating great sense of atmosphere)
    - Upgrading (Finding the ores or orbs to upgrade your tools and character is not boring and lengthy, and each upgrade is well worth it)
    - Graphics (This $8.99 Eshop game boasts some of the best textures and animations of any game on the Eshop, and is quite impressive)
    - Exploration (In order to upgrade your character, you'll need to go out of your way to find blue orbs and ores. However, players will want to explore each corner of the map, and are well rewarded for doing so)
    Cons: - Combat (The combat is quite simple, but fails to entertain on any level. For each enemy, you'll find yourself using the steam punch, a later upgrade, to defeat them. This requires you to simply tap the action button, and this becomes extremely repetitive)
    - Hazards (As mentioned, this is a mining game more closely related to Motherload instead of Terraria. However, the game treats the combat like that of Terraria, without providing the necessary tools and weapons to fight like in Terraria. This results in enemies constantly killing you. Even more frustrating than enemies, though, are the falling hazards, which require the utmost attention to see, or else you will be crushed and instantly killed)
    Overall, the game is a must have for any fan of the Indie genre, or someone who wants a fresh experience for the 3DS. The game provides enough content that it will satisfy you, and the simple but fun mining of the game will keep you from putting the system down without wanting to immediately go back. However, people who have little patience and get frustrated easily should be warned; the combat and the hazards in this game essentially don't belong, and will kill you many, many times.
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    A fresh new take on the Metroidvania subgenre. The new digging features add depth and mix great with the Metroidvania formula. Very addictive. I recommend it to all Metroidvania fans.
  3. Mar 6, 2014
    Excellent game, especially for the price. I read a lot of reviews on 3DS games and this one caught my eye. I really enjoyed the game play style. You basically dig through a mine with a couple of different digging tools that has a few internal dungeons collecting gems (game currency). Then you return to the surface to purchase upgrades as well as other items to make your adventure easier.

But there is more than that. The addition of light and water elements which you have to constantly balance make it a real challenge an add a sense of urgency to everything you do. You really can't do anything without light and the water powers your weapons (other than the pickax). I would definitely recommend this game to anyone looking for a great game that you will be able to complete in under 10 hours. That would probably be my only minor complaint; the game could stand to be a little longer.

I also really enjoyed the art style. It was a very colorful game.

4. Jan 18, 2014
    Very well-made terria-esque sidescroller that keeps gameplay dynamic with new concepts and . Only complaint is it's length, you can beat this in about 4 or 5 hours, but for $9 I can't complain too much. 3DS owners might as well enjoy this one since it looks like we won't be getting Terraria ported over.
  5. Dec 1, 2013
    SteamWorld Dig... Probably the most unexpected--and fun--eShop download of the year. The game focuses on mining--digging down into the depths of a destroyed world, while uncovering secrets and remnants of lost civilizations. The core mechanics are great, controls are solid, and it's very addicting. The characters are shallow, and the game ends far too early. Other than that, it's amazing.

PRESENTATION: 7/10
    CORE GAME: 8.5/10
    VISUALS: 8/10
    AUDIO: 8.5/10
    GAMEPLAY: 9/10
    LASTING APPEAL: 8/10

Overall: 8.2/10
  6. Nov 5, 2013
    stemworld dig is a minecraft style 3ds game except you can't build. I like how the game is open world and how you can dig for gems and upgrade your town. it's a little pricy but I got it when it was on sale for 7$. if your willing to spend the money, it's worth it
  7. Oct 24, 2013
    the most fun you can have with 8 dollars. a relatively simple game that involves digging, looting and some action. essentially, you dig to find upgrades so that you can dig deeper but the formula is strangely addicting. combat is simple but well implemented. only about 4 or 5 hours of game play but, for 8 dollars, you could do a lot worse content wise. a great value and an awesome way to fill the gap in between other 3DS releases. Expand
  8. Sep 23, 2013
    The latest 3DS e-Shop darling is a metroidvania-style platformer that's filled to the brim with action, charm, and great gameplay ideas.

The game takes place in a steampunk western setting where everyone is a robot. You play as Rusty, who arrives at the town of Tumbleton to inherit your deceased uncle's mine. As such, the core gameplay has you digging through said mine, looking for a
    plethora precious minerals and upgrades to your system. Each upgrade (including better digging tools, boosts in basic abilities, and even a mineral-finding radar) is found on dedicated sublevels, offering new ways to help you keep on digging. The minerals help you get money and develop the town, which attracts new storeowners to settle there as a result.

The digging mechanic is very well-executed. The mine is basically your oyster; you can dig almost wherever you choose to look for those elusive minerals, but you always have to make sure there's a way to climb back to Tumbleton when your lamp wears off. It's the sort of gameplay that can get really addictive, and you'll often find yourself unable to resist the urge to get back to the mine for some more digging after returning to the town, cashing in your gems, and purchasing new goodies at the local stores.

The game's three worlds (each a subsection of the gigantic mine) will offer plenty of challenges, with new enemies, abilities, and minerals hiding at every corner. The characterization is spotless, and the game's simple plot even succeeds in making you actually care about the mystery of what actually happened to Rusty's uncle.

Of course, being an e-Shop title, SteamWorld Dig falls victim to some of the usual letdowns of downloadable games. It's a relatively short affair, clocking in at about five hours, and the addictive nature of the gameplay means that it will feel even shorter. It also lacks the oomph of epic boss battles, and each new upgrade feels rather less satisfying without some gigantic monster guarding it. Finally, there's so much creativity on display here that the game just begs for at least a couple extra worlds to explore.

Nevertheless, SteamWorld Dig is a game that's easy to fall in love with, and however much time you put into it will be amply rewarded by tons of fun.

Rating: 8.5 (rounded down)
  9. Sep 15, 2013
    I could not put this game down. It's one of the very few games that has gripped me so much, I played nearly nonstop until I completed it. As most other reviewers have suggested, it's an amalgamation of Metroid and Dig Dug Mr. Driller, with a lot of fun exploring and an interesting if thin story. My only complaint is the length it's fairly short, and there's not a ton of replay value if you collected all items and treasure the first time through (as I did). That aside, this is a must-play title for any 3DS owner. Expand
  10. Sep 7, 2013
    This is definitely my favorite eShop title thus far. It's incredible how shallow the game seems at first (although I admit the gameplay doesn't change much as it progresses). And this may sound cheesy, but some of the moments I felt when I first encountered certain enemies and terrain were incredible. In the end, it's an incredibly enjoyable experience, and the well-tuned mechanics help make it extremely addicting. Great themes set throughout the game, it takes the tired post-apocalyptic setting and presents it in a lighthearted, yet intriguing way. I love it! Expand
  11. Sep 6, 2013
    I have to say I was a bit skeptical of this game when I first heard about it but I gave it a try due to all of the good things that people had to say. I'm glad that I did! This game is very fun and provides many hours of entertainment. I bought it for $8, less than the price of a movie ticket. I have played over 6 hours so far and I am nearing the end of the game. I just love the digging aspect of this game. You keep digging further underground, looking for gems and precious metals to bring back to the surface to sell. By selling those items, you unlock upgrades that assist you in defending yourself against the enemies below as well as assisting you in digging much more quickly. There are plenty of puzzles to solve within the game whether it be finding secret passages to unlock a door or going back to previous areas with new powers to gain access to new places and more treasures. You get many different items in the game from a pick ax to a drill to a super-charge punch that blows through the dirt. You also gain abilities like steam-jumping and a electrical-charged double jump that can take out enemies with ease.

This game may seem simple at first but there is much to offer for the price. I'm hoping for a sequel!
  12. Aug 26, 2013
    As a big of dig games (Terraria, Minecraft, etc) I really enjoyed this game. The art style, minimized storyline and action platformer game-play made for an incredible enjoyable experience.

The only complaint I can think to make about this game is that at 5 hours to complete (and a couple additional hours for full completion) I did feel like the experience was a bit short and due to to
    lack of randomization the re-playability is fairly low.

That being said however this game was a blast and at the low pricetag even the brevity of the game isn't enough to stop me from recommending it to anyone.
  13. Aug 26, 2013
    SteamWorld Dig is a platform game that seems like the illegitimate offspring of Dig Dug and Metroid, combining elements of both into one new and enjoyable game. You play as a mining steam-bot named Rusty who digs down into the earth in search of treasure and the hopes of finding the secrets that may be buried there. As you explore the earth you will create tunnels, fight a wide variety of enemies and collect rare metals that you can use back on the surface to create better equipment.

When thinking about what makes a great game I think about control, graphics, and playability and this game nails them all. When I was moving Rusty around the screen he did exactly what I wanted him to, the controls were top notch and everything seemed tight and responsive. The graphics pop off the screen and the feature strong character designs and enemies. The game is full of little touches that the player will discover if they pay attention while playing the game and if there is ever an upgraded Wii U port then you can expect to have people just sit and watch you play it.

The games concept is a great one, the mechanics of digging tunnels and slowly unlocking more and more of the world is awesome and well implemented. The game gets the pacing down just right; when I started to get frustrated with how many swings it took to kill an enemy I unlocked an upgrade to my weapon. When it started to become a chore to climb back to the surface to sell my goods and heal I unlock the transporters. Every time something started to grind on me the game had an option for me to purchase in game that resolved the problem, it is a genius bit of programing and is perfectly executed.

So, to wrap it up, just how good is SteamWorld Dig? It is so good that my review got delayed a couple of days because every time I popped it on to check something for the review I wound up playing it for an hour or two. It is one of the top five best original (non-VC or retail) games on the 3DS eShop and is probably the best nine dollars that you can spend on your 3DS this week. Pick it up and see what every one is talking about.
  14. Aug 25, 2013
    Do you like games like Minecraft, Terraria, Dig Dug or Motherload? Is your second home in the underground, mining and digging minerals? Are you a robot? Well, if all 3 questions apply to you, you should go see a doctor. But if you are said yes to the first 2 questions, then SteamWorld Dig is the perfect game for you.
    In this game you will dig deeper and deeper, finding scary and awesome
    stuff and, of course, minerals to bring back home.
    I do not want to spoil too much, BUT I can assure you, you will love this game (if you are a fan of games like this) and enjoy every second of it. Go on now, go get it on the Nintendo 3DS eShop!
  15. Aug 16, 2013
    Steamworld Dig is the first 3DS game from small developer Image & Form. You play as lonesome Rusty who arrives at the town of Tumbleton. You are swiftly informed that Joe, your uncle, has gone missing. Your job is bring the town back to prosperity and hopefully reunite with your uncle. The gameplay is simple but addictive blending cave exploration, mining and simple combat into a small package. The game is tiny at only 348 blocks which translates to roughly 43mb. This is particularly impressive given the massive size of the caves, all of which feature extremely detailed and colorful backgrounds depending on the part of the cave you’re in.

As you progress you will level up and unlock upgrades, allowing you to become an even more badass miner. Dynamite, drills, super punches will all be within your grasps within a few hours of play. Your hard graft will allow the town to bring back some of its former vendors allowing you to purchase even more tools and supplies.

The art is absolutely gorgeous and greatly detailed. Everything from the swing of the pickaxe which kicks up dust is displayed in amazing fashion. The enemy design is great too, but they do tend to repeat too much. The game is also consistent and will constantly save your game every time you return to the surface, everything you did in the mine will be saved allowing you to venture back to the depths to finish off collecting any forgotten treasures.

The music is good, nothing spectacular, it keeps the mining sessions from getting tedious. The mines are huge, On my playthrough my character reached 800 metres and there was still more below.

The game can get quite difficult when you’re stuck miles from a teleport to the surface and have no water, forcing you to reset and attempt to recollect your treasures This really only applies to how you dig. Leaving wide open spaces is almost impossible to scale up without the water jump giving you almost no option but to reset. The game can get a bit repetitive during extended play sessions but its clear this isn’t meant to be the way to play, while it is certainly possibly to complete the game in one session your enthusiasm may be diminished after a few hours of endless mining.
  16. Aug 13, 2013
    Awesome game! Read a lot of reviews praising this game so I had to download it. Great controls, gameplay and graphics. Great mix of spaghetti western and steampunk. Gotta love those robots. Can't wait for the sequel!
  17. Aug 25, 2013
    In this game you will dig deeper and deeper, finding scary and awesome
    stuff and, of course, minerals to bring back home.

1. Oct 21, 2013
    SteamWorld Dig is a great example of how the catalog of e-Shop is always more deserving of attention.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    A compelling 2D adventure game that resembles the beloved portable incarnations of cult franchises such as Metroid or Castlevania.
  3. Oct 1, 2013
    Steamworld Dig is a great game, a tiny masterpiece, with a sublime gameplay which works perfectly, thanks to an intuitive and extremely fluid control system. One of the best for the eShop.