8.3

1. Dec 17, 2011
    In my personal opinion, this is the best Mario land so far! The 3D world (both graphics and actual dimensions) are great! The level designers were very clever with hiding the star coins (i still find them pretty quickly, hehe). All in all, i'm impressed. I'm looking forward to a game like Mario World DS(the one where you go inside paintings) in this 3D format. My only complaint, and I amIn my personal opinion, this is the best Mario land so far! The 3D world (both graphics and actual dimensions) are great! The level designers were very clever with hiding the star coins (i still find them pretty quickly, hehe). All in all, i'm impressed. I'm looking forward to a game like Mario World DS(the one where you go inside paintings) in this 3D format. My only complaint, and I am only in world 4, so it might be there, but i haven't seen it, is that Yoshi isn't in the game... Otherwise, great! Expand
  2. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is an outstanding game. Graphically, it's easily the best looking game on the 3DS so far. The use of 3D ranges from visual flair in some levels, to game-changing in others. The game plays like a mix of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the original Super Mario Bros., and it works extremely well. The music is probably the worst part of the game, and even then, it's pretty solid. The mainThis game is an outstanding game. Graphically, it's easily the best looking game on the 3DS so far. The use of 3D ranges from visual flair in some levels, to game-changing in others. The game plays like a mix of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the original Super Mario Bros., and it works extremely well. The music is probably the worst part of the game, and even then, it's pretty solid. The main theme is not that exciting, and is used too often, but some of the other tracks shine. Bowser's castle theme comes to mind. Overall, this game is a great buy for a system with an extremely lacking library. This is the first killer app for the 3DS. Do yourself a huge favor, and pick it up. (I would like to rate this game a 9.5 but since metacritic only allows 9 or 10, I'm rating this a 10.) Expand
  3. Nov 30, 2011
    There is nothing better than packing a bowl, getting stoned and playing this game. Great graphics and great 3D effect with inventive level design. Absolutely wonderful game.
  4. Nov 28, 2011
    I just bought a 3DS this weekend and it was the Mario 3DS bundle, so naturally I was hoping that the game that the system came with would be really good, and it's tremendous. Of course, it's a Mario game and if you come in expecting anything different, then of course you may get bored with the game and you may not like it. But for those who know what every Mario game entails, then you'reI just bought a 3DS this weekend and it was the Mario 3DS bundle, so naturally I was hoping that the game that the system came with would be really good, and it's tremendous. Of course, it's a Mario game and if you come in expecting anything different, then of course you may get bored with the game and you may not like it. But for those who know what every Mario game entails, then you're going to absolutely love it. The 3D effects are pretty cool, giving you a couple of different perspectives of how 3D can be used. The game isn't all that difficult, but has any Mario game really been all too challenging? You'll still end up dying over petty things, falling off the level or accidentally jumping into a pit of fire but the game isn't too rough. Expand
  5. Dec 1, 2011
    This game is truly amazing. It allows for much easier gameplay for younger kids and more challenging levels for older. And I love the Tanooki Suit and other power-ups. Nintendo really outdid itself, just like they did with the Super Mario Galaxy's, Sunshine, and others alike. My only problem is that Bowser Jr. is not in it. Still, Boom Boom, Pom Pom, and the many forms of Bowser are very fun.
  6. Dec 3, 2011
    super mario 3d land is a great game with some of the best levels seen. the raccoon suit is amazing and very easy to use and so are the other power ups. when playing in 3d i found it quite good. the only negative thing for me was that is was quite easy . other than that its a must own and worthy of your time and money.
  7. Dec 3, 2011
    Super Mario Land 3D is the best mario game for portable systems. 3D is great, the story is cute, and it has great controls. But it does has it cons. Such as the challenge is lacking. It only gets challenging at the end of the special worlds, and it the game feels short. There over 80 levels and that could be beat in a day, or a week if you take your time. But it's still a good experience.Super Mario Land 3D is the best mario game for portable systems. 3D is great, the story is cute, and it has great controls. But it does has it cons. Such as the challenge is lacking. It only gets challenging at the end of the special worlds, and it the game feels short. There over 80 levels and that could be beat in a day, or a week if you take your time. But it's still a good experience.
    Pros: Cool level designs, great controls, good looking in 3D
    Cons: Slow start, lack of challenge, short game
  8. Dec 25, 2011
    it may be a pretty good game, but due to the lack of vs. mode in single player like it's not really a good game, terrible new tracks, ruining the original retro courses music and terrible new characters, the critics should at least have given this game a mixed or average review instead of generally favorable reviews.
  9. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is a tremendous amount of fun! It has everything you want on a game.Great controls, visuals, character and sound.If you own a 3DS and you dont have it go running to your store and buy it
  10. Apr 4, 2013
    An outstanding platformer, vissually perfect with great level design.
    The 3D is the best so far on the handhelm, music is great and I found it quite challenging at the later levels.
    If you own a 3DS this is a must-title.
  11. Nov 26, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land is an eclectic game. It takes aspects of other Mario games and combines them into a new, interesting package. There are sections that are classic 2D sidescrolling, others that reminiscent of Mario Galaxy, and some that are a top down perspective in the vain of 2D Zelda.

The graphics are about Super Mario Sunshine level, and in fact might even be Super Mario Galaxy level-the game looks great in 3D. Itâ
  12. Nov 26, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land is a Fun 3D Platformer That is a good reason to even buy a 3DS, 10 out of 10, 97.5% out of 100%, Good game,I recommend you pick this title up
  13. Nov 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game starts out as a very simple version of Mario, although it's Mario at his best. The graphics pop, and the wonderful 3D inclusion really was intuitive and useful within the game. This was the first game where I actually kept the 3D on through the levels as it wasnt bothersome and it added to the gameplay. I only found myself actually NEEDING the 3D in a countless amount of areas within the just under 100 levels of gameplay. The major replay-ability of this game just helps add to the excitement of replaying through the game as well if you played through then you know what I'm talking about. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone. By far one of the best final Bowsers fights!!!!

Don't Read --Spoilers AHEAD!!!!----

Well after you beat the game you unlock the special land, which is a whole different game in itself. Though not all the lands are completely different, they do add a good challenge to those who dare to beat the game outright. The game went from too easy, to actually very challenging. A friend of mine only lost a total of 2 lives in the first land while he lost 45 in the special land. It can get pretty challenging.

This definitely wasn't the best Mario game ever but it was definitely a great first attempt on the 3DS, and showed that the 3DS has yet so much more to come to unleash to power behind the console.
  14. Feb 21, 2013
    I was ridiculously excited for this game, even though I was disappointed to learn it would not be an open world Mario game. The 3D is amazing, and the visuals in general are extremely well done. The levels are fairly easy for the main game, and the plot is the typical Mario one. But the creativeness put into the game and the extra worlds made the game worth it for me. Some levels wereI was ridiculously excited for this game, even though I was disappointed to learn it would not be an open world Mario game. The 3D is amazing, and the visuals in general are extremely well done. The levels are fairly easy for the main game, and the plot is the typical Mario one. But the creativeness put into the game and the extra worlds made the game worth it for me. Some levels were ridiculously challenging, even frustrating, but the feeling of satisfaction after completing them was priceless. Albeit some extra levels felt like repeats with shadow Mario added, it took me about 25 hours to completely accomplish everything in the game. Streetpass was interesting but nothing special. The final battle with Bowser was one of the best I've ever played too! And the final bonus stage is incredible as well. A must-have. Expand
  15. Nov 24, 2011
    Nintendo wanted some money. This game lacks in evry department especially difficulty. What a waste of money. Dont end up like me please. Save yourselves and your money from this game!
  16. Jul 18, 2012
    I've had a lot of fun with this title and surprised at how long it has lasted me given that I'm a big Mario fan and played every title to date. I thought as a handheld relatively smaller title, I might burn through it fairly fast but there is a lot more to it. You get a pretty decent array of challenges from seeking out the 3 star coins in each level, plus the alternate version of theI've had a lot of fun with this title and surprised at how long it has lasted me given that I'm a big Mario fan and played every title to date. I thought as a handheld relatively smaller title, I might burn through it fairly fast but there is a lot more to it. You get a pretty decent array of challenges from seeking out the 3 star coins in each level, plus the alternate version of the levels once you beat the original 8 worlds, plus beating all of it with both Mario & Luigi, and I forget what else is required just to unlock the last secret world on top of everything completed above. I'm still working on it and still enjoying it, just not as much as I did at first but it's holding up well against any of my newer games. I know I'll stick with it until I manage to unlock everything and I think it is my favorite Mario game to date. -1 point for originality though. I would love to see Nintendo come out with a new IP for a change to show off all these platformer variations they come up with on a regular basis, but it works and each Mario is still fun so it's a pretty minor complaint. Expand
  17. May 29, 2012
    Without a doubt the best 3D single-player Mario game there is as of yet (3D as in not 2D [Super Mario Bros. 3, for example, is what I mean with 2D and Super Mario 64 is 3D]). It's perfect for anyone who's enjoyed any previous Super Mario games.
  18. Dec 20, 2012
    Ever since Mario's jump to 3D his games have taken in my opinion more of an adventure style approach rather than sticking completely to its roots. Temporary power ups? A life bar? Finding 8 red coins in a huge landscape? Yes it was very different from the original tittles on the nes and snes. But it was still Mario. Even still I always wondered since the beggining, why don't they make a 3DEver since Mario's jump to 3D his games have taken in my opinion more of an adventure style approach rather than sticking completely to its roots. Temporary power ups? A life bar? Finding 8 red coins in a huge landscape? Yes it was very different from the original tittles on the nes and snes. But it was still Mario. Even still I always wondered since the beggining, why don't they make a 3D Mario with the fundamentals of the sidescroller Mario? You know what Im talking about. Levels that go from point A to point B. No lifebar. Powerups are your life source. Best of all, a flagpole at the end of each level. Super Mario 3D Land is exactly just that. Including incredible level design, great powerups and impressive replayability. This is without a doubt one of Mario's best games yet. It does have a slow start. Takes a bit of time to take of the training wheels completely. The game is very easy. Too easy for at least the first half. That is really the worst aspect of the game. Best of all its not a really bad aspect at all. Its still damn fun and impresive. Here is to a sequel with the sheer brilliance of this game with online co-op for better replayability complete with an overworld map. For the heck of it lets call it Super Mario 3D World. Make it happen Nintendo. Until then this is my favorite 3D Mario Game yet. Congratulations Nintendo. You never cease to amaze. Expand
  19. Apr 23, 2013
    I'm going to make what many would brand a controversial statement, but here it is anyway; Super Mario 3D Land is the best handheld game ever made! And please know that I am not some gushing Nintendoist fanboy. My personal handheld weapon of choice is my PS Vita, but it's first-party masterpieces like this that stop me from ever chopping my XL in.

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly smashes) expectations in every single department: gameplay, graphics, animation, use of 3D, soundtrack, controls, content, level design, difficulty, variety... the list goes on and on. And on. There's even a surprise or two along the way!

I've so far ploughed more than fifty hours into this deeply accomplished and wonderfully nuanced 3D platform adventure, and I enjoyed, nay loved, every single minute. I've completed everything, found every secret, and unlocked every level, and yet, I'm still far from done with my escapades in 3D Land. A year-and-half since it's release, I still regularly find myself picking it up for twenty minutes here and half an hour there. Sometimes longer.

I said at the top of this mini review, that Super Mario 3D Land is the finest handheld game of all-time, and it is, but having now given the matter further thought, it's much more than that. It's one of the best games of all time, period. If you've never really got into handheld gaming or you're yet to play this 3DS classic, I emplore you to give it a go. If ever there's a handheld game to truly blow your socks off, it's this one.
  20. May 21, 2012
    Superb,superb,superb. This game is all nintendo fans could ask for. This game is the best 3DS game yet- and the New Super Mario Bros 2 is coming soon. That's a retro revival. Still, the return of the tanooki suit was legandary. (although lack of flying fully) Things I'm not happy about is the same levels in the special world with time limits and shadow marios and uncreative boss battlesSuperb,superb,superb. This game is all nintendo fans could ask for. This game is the best 3DS game yet- and the New Super Mario Bros 2 is coming soon. That's a retro revival. Still, the return of the tanooki suit was legandary. (although lack of flying fully) Things I'm not happy about is the same levels in the special world with time limits and shadow marios and uncreative boss battles that are simpily Boom Boom and Pom Pom a couple times. Thanks for coming back for more, Mario. Expand
  21. Aug 17, 2012
    This is the best game on the 3ds. It uses 3d as an integral part of the gameplay, and it gives you a reason to crank the meter up to full. The platforming is tight and fun. The levels might seem a bit short, and the worlds only have 5-6 levels per, but it is still amazing. After the final level is beat, "Special worlds" are unlocked which double the size of the game. These levels are veryThis is the best game on the 3ds. It uses 3d as an integral part of the gameplay, and it gives you a reason to crank the meter up to full. The platforming is tight and fun. The levels might seem a bit short, and the worlds only have 5-6 levels per, but it is still amazing. After the final level is beat, "Special worlds" are unlocked which double the size of the game. These levels are very challenging and fun, and you will drop a good amount of hours to finish it all. Trying to find all the star coins and beat each level with each brother will keep you coming back for more, even after you have beaten the last level. The tanooki suit is used a little to much though, and items like the new boomerang suit or even the fire flower do not show as much as one would like to add some more variety, but this is very small. Overall, this is in itself a reason to go buy a 3ds. Expand
  22. Nov 1, 2012
    Best game for any age or gamer on the 3DS unless you can't stand Mario for some odd reason. Best use of 3D out of any 3DS game. Amazing plat forming. Innovative level design. Easy enough for anyone but also plenty of challenge for more hardcore gamers. Lots of charm and great soundtrack. A must buy for any 3DS owner.
  23. Apr 29, 2014
    There's no question – if you own a 3DS, this is the best game on the platform, and instantly worthy of a purchase. It's one of the best portable platformers I've ever played graphics spot and and the 3d effects are amazing
  24. Jul 9, 2014
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9.0/10 • Story: 6/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements +Great Variety in Level design
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Total Score: 90/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements
    +Great Variety in Level design and Difficulty
    +Play as Mario (and Luigi later on)
    +A lot of elements from previous Mario games such as the NES series
    +Great Sound and Music work
    +Well designed visuals

Cons
    -Some notable characters were missing such as Yoshi and the Koopa Kids
    -2nd half of game is mainly a rehash of the first half with a few differences but nothing too noticeable
  25. Jun 9, 2014
    When it comes to platform games Nintendo really know what they are doing and Super Mario 3D Land is a worthy addition to the Mario franchise. Gorgeous graphics,great music, well thought out level design, and a simple but effective control system.
    While it's not my favourite 3ds game I can certainly understand that it would be a favourite game for many.
    9/10.
  26. Oct 3, 2014
    Hey, hey! Said what? I like this one! All models were from Super Mario Galaxy. 30 FPS is not problem. Truly fun, perfect 3D presentation as the first Nintendo 3DS game. No 3D Land, no 3DS.
  27. Dec 13, 2014
    A joyful romp, even though the difficulty doesn't ramp up until the special worlds come around. Expect all from it that you would any console 3D Mario release, but be ready to have to step things up a notch once you beat the main game.
  28. Jun 24, 2014
    So much fun! So much nostalgia. Looks great and loaded with charm and challenge. StreetPass features are pretty worthless, but otherwise a great experience overall. Easily a must-own 3DS title.
  29. Aug 7, 2013
    La salvación de Nintendo 3DS fue este juego, y debo admitir, fue el mejor juego (sin incluir remakes) de Nintendo 3DS durante todo un año y para ser un juego portátil, ofrece mucho y es de muy buena calidad, se ambienta en un mundo enorme y une perfectamente la escencia de los Mario 3D y los Mario 2D.
  30. Aug 22, 2013
    I must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as MarioI must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as Mario veterans. After many deaths the character has the option to get an invincibility suit, which allows enemies to be taken down with ease. If you continue to fail, the game developers allow you to skip to the goal post without any work (known as the P wing). However, to get the full spoils of the level you will have to play at a later date again. Like I said, the game is a masterpiece. It is a must own for any 3DS owner. Expand
  31. Jul 25, 2013
    Wow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn'tWow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn't let it go anymore. The use of the 3DS's amazing 3D capabilities is simply exceptional. Level design is brilliant. Camera movements are virtually perfect. While the Mario sidescrollers have gotten old for me, this kind of title is a reminder Nintendo are still veterans of good level design and great game mechanics and can still manage a hit like is Super Mario 3D Land! Expand
  32. Sep 13, 2013
    I love this game! I can't stop playing it. Mario is better than ever. Awesome 3D graphics,loads of levels,and best of all,endless fun. The new power-ups,like the Super Leaf and boomerang suit,are really awesome and helps a lot in this game. I wonder if there will be Super Mario 3D Land 2....
  33. Jul 28, 2013
    Great game, gameplay, "story", 3D design... The only downside to this game is that you have to beat every world at least 3 times to get all the badges, which becomes boring after a while
  34. Aug 3, 2013
    Gameplay-9: The gameplay is great and the action and exploration is fun every time, the difficulty of the levels can fluctuate a bit though.
    Length-10: This game has 16 huge worlds with lots of star medals to collect and you can always challenge your speed, very nice and lengthy game, especially for a handheld
    Sound-9: The sound is amazing, and sounds very well orchestrated. The reason
    Sound-9: The sound is amazing, and sounds very well orchestrated. The reason it gets a 9 is because, the music isn't quite as driving or epic as some other games, but overall very good
    Graphics-10. Very smooth detailed graphics, especially for a handheld.
    Fun-9: This game is great, it is really enjoyable looking for ways to find and solve ways to get medals, its almost as if they mixed in elements of the puzzle genre, without the frustration of having a nearly impossible puzzles.
    Overall: 9.4 Amazing
  35. Aug 4, 2013
    The first game for the 3DS to really make the 3D essential.

Really good graphics with great gameplay and feel of 3D Mario Games. There is not a lot of bad things to say about this game. In general everything is great. It can be frustrating at times, but just like with the majority of Mario games, it gets frustrating because of you, not because of the game. Fortunately, or maybe in
    The first game for the 3DS to really make the 3D essential.

Really good graphics with great gameplay and feel of 3D Mario Games.

Fortunately, or maybe in this case unfortunately, the instances where it gets frustrating are not very many because this is a very easy game. Some of the stages later on can get a bit tougher, but even with extra content unlocked, this game lasted me about 22 hours.

+ Great visuals and 3D
    + Fun Gameplay
    + Easy to play on the go
    + Classic Mario greatness

- Very short game

Despite the game being short, this is still a 10 using this rating system.

A MUST HAVE for every 3DS owner.
  36. Aug 16, 2013
    Easily one of the best Mario games ever and my favorite 3DS game (it's like Super Mario Galaxy mixed with New Super Mario Bros.) if you own a 3DS do yourself a favor and buy it trust me you won't be disappointed.
  37. Apr 6, 2015
    Super Mario 3D Land is pretty fun Mario game, i really enjoy the game's aspect of it going
    Mario is on adventure to save Peach as always,
    the gameplay is good but finding the coins stars kinda hard to play game but this issue won't take me to stop playing the game,
  38. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. after all of these years most mario games on handhelds have been in 2D sidescroling. but then nintendo ended this streak with super mario 3D land on the 3DS. The first original 3D super mario game on a handheld console. The game looks great in graphics, the 3D effect sometimes helps you play the game, everything just feels better with the 3D on. the gameplay is like a mixture of super mario 64, super mario galaxy, and new super mario bros, it's a 3D mario game that plays like a 2D mario game, so you walk through levels like super mario 64 or galaxy and end the level by touching the flagpole, no looking for shine sprites or power stars to finish the level, nope you just touch the flagpole, I really like this blend of gameplay and think that it really works well. This game also brings back the tanooki suit from super mario bros 3, and I really like that they brought a classic power up into a 3D world. the 3D effect has two levels, pop out 3D where the images look like they're popping off the screen, and depth 3D the images look like you're looking at them from a window. the 3D helps you with the game because there are some puzzles that can only be solved if the 3D effect is on, the illusions like a bunch of boxes and one box is far away but looks like it's with all of the other boxes. These illusions were very cool and it really made the game a lot better. just like the other mario games, the story is simple, Princess peach has been kidnapped by bowser and mario has to save her. There are 8 worlds and 8 special worlds that get unlocked after completing the main game. you also can hunt down star coins which are hidden in levels to unlock more levels in the special worlds, this adds a lot of replay value to the game. the star coins aren't just used to unlock levels in the special worlds, they also unlock castles in world 5 and world 8. by the way, let's talk about the bosses, in castles world 5 and 8 you fight bowser, and the rest of the worlds have starships just like super mario bros 3, and the boss of the starships is some guy who just spins around untill he gets dizzy. all in all this is a great mario game and is a must have for all 3DS owners, it's not as good as good as the super mario galaxy games but it's pretty close. Expand
  39. Mar 27, 2015
    This game was made for the 3DS, and I don't intend that to be an obvious statement. A lot of games are made for the 3DS but are faulty on one of two levels: 1) they don't utilize the full capabilities of the 3DS -or- 2) they try wayyy too hard to maximize the 3D aspect, which let's be honest, can be a real strain on the eyes. Super Mario 3D Land does it perfectly. There's parts where youThis game was made for the 3DS, and I don't intend that to be an obvious statement. A lot of games are made for the 3DS but are faulty on one of two levels: 1) they don't utilize the full capabilities of the 3DS -or- 2) they try wayyy too hard to maximize the 3D aspect, which let's be honest, can be a real strain on the eyes. Super Mario 3D Land does it perfectly. There's parts where you need to have the 3D slider on, but the game doesn't use it as a crutch for being a 3DS game. There's plenty of innovation with added suits, world diversity, and the gameplay is just downright fun. This one is a blast, and its replay value is extremely high. Expand
  40. Sep 22, 2013
    excelente juego completamente en 3D, muy entretenido y adictivo, ademas es de bastante duracion porque cuando terminas el juego con Mario puedes jugar 8 mundos especiales con Luigi y son mucho mas dificiles, de los mejores juegos de Nintendo 3DS
  41. Oct 19, 2013
    This game is good as frick. All the people that complain about this game are idiots who bash this game for being different from previous 3D Super Mario titles. This game combines characteristics of the original four 2D platforming Super Mario titles (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World) with the more recent 3D platforming MarioThis game is good as frick. All the people that complain about this game are idiots who bash this game for being different from previous 3D Super Mario titles. This game combines characteristics of the original four 2D platforming Super Mario titles (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World) with the more recent 3D platforming Mario titles (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2). The turnout, one may be asking? The turnout is the perfect blend of everything a true Mario fan could possibly adore about the series over the years, and more. The Tanooki Suit returns from Super Mario Bros. 3, with our the ability to fly and transform into a statue unlike SMB3, but still retains the ability to glide and tail-whip enemies and objects. Also, you transform into Tanooki Mario by touching the Super Leat instead of touching the Tanooki icon. Plus, there's a variation of the Tanooki Suit that adds the ability to transform into a statue. There are also other power-ups, such as the classic Super Mushroom and Fire Flower, the new Boomerang Flower based off of Boomerang Bros. and inspired by the Hammer Bros. Suit from SMB3, the White Tanooki Suit, granting Mario invincibility, and the P-Wing, returning from SMB3. It functions differently from SMB3, though, as it transports Mario to the goal this time around. There are 16 worlds in total, including 8 worlds in the main story campaign, and 8 special worlds, making 96 courses in total. Luigi is unlockable after beating Special World 1's castle level. The gameplay itself contains levels that are much more linear than previous 3D Mario titles, distinguishing it from the rest. Mario's health system functions like the 2D Mario titles, as you shrink or lose a power-up every time you take damage. The levels are designed like the 2D Mario games, focused more on platforming than exploration, unlike previous Mario titles. The game takes perfect use of the 3DS's capabilities, as the 3D effect really makes this game look appealing to the eye, and helps in sections involving puzzles where 3D comes in handy to help the player reach the Comet Medal, and the gyroscope is taken advantage of in areas where you must look through binoculars or shoot Mario out of a cannon, and the touch screen is used to use stored power-up items. The game is somewhat weak story-wise, but who cares? This is a Mario platformer, not a Mario RPG. The game has a high amount of replay value, encouraging players to 100% complete the game (including gold flagpoles on each level and to collect all Comet Medals, which I did) to unlock a final level that test players' skills known as Special World 8-Crown (which I completed). The music has quite memorable jazz music (which reminds me of 1950's big band music), as well as other memorable tracks, including remixed tracks from previous games in the Mario series. There is even a Streetpass feature, including the exchanging of others' bonus games (where you must collect every coin and Comet Medal in the room before time runs out) and others' time records (encourages speed runs). My main complaints about this game are that the main story campaign is too easy (not counting the Special Worlds), the boss battles are repetitive (only 3 boss characters, alternating in each world), there is no hub world, it's somewhat nostalgia-reliant, and the linearity makes this game inferior to the other 3D Mario titles. Nonetheless, this is the first handheld-exclusive 3D Mario title, and it is quite a fantastic Mario title overall. Overall, I give this game a 9.4 out of 10, which when rounded up to the nearest whole number, is a 9 out of 10. I highly recommend this game to any 3DS owner, and any fan of Mario or the platforming genre. Expand
  42. Nov 16, 2013
    This is the most perfect... thing to come out of Nintendo's unoriginal mind. If you got this packaged with the red 3DS, good for you, that was the wisest purchase of your life. Though, yes there is little new power-ups, that doesn't stop this game from exploding your thumbs from not having an awesomeness shield. I would write more, if i wasn't too lazy.
  43. Nov 27, 2013
    A nice first experience for Mario's first dive into the latest handheld. The gameplay is unique and fun, the 3D works wonders, and the atmosphere is very Mario-like.
  44. Dec 29, 2013
    This is probably tied with A Link Between Worlds as the best game for the 3DS. When I saw the new game, I thought, "Gee, another Mario game, but in 3D! This is ridiculous." But then I got it for Christmas, and I didn't know that I played it till 10:00 p.m. until I bothered to look at the clock. This game demonstrates the 3DS's capabilities, and Nintendo made it with great care. This gameThis is probably tied with A Link Between Worlds as the best game for the 3DS. When I saw the new game, I thought, "Gee, another Mario game, but in 3D! This is ridiculous." But then I got it for Christmas, and I didn't know that I played it till 10:00 p.m. until I bothered to look at the clock. This game demonstrates the 3DS's capabilities, and Nintendo made it with great care. This game is loads of fun and will hook you instantly, with levels that remind me of a cross between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario World. It's fun, fast, and beautiful. The world is seamless and the music is great. This is a console seller. Expand
  45. Jan 4, 2014
    This game is one of the best games out there for the 3DS, hands down. Although there is a bit of a problem with the level-skipping Invincibility Leaf, it can easily be overlooked you can continue to play the game without having to resort to it. Difficulty aside, I would really recommend this game for anyone who enjoys a good platformer.
  46. Jan 5, 2014
    when I was a young kid I felt nintendo should release a super mario game each year. It could just have the Super Mario World engine with new levels, and it would still be an outstanding game.

By 'outstanding I don't mean 'the ultimate gaming experience' that was Super Mario 64. Super mario 3D land is an outstanding game and you will have lots of fun playing all levels and collecting star coins, as it is real fun to revisit levels to get them.

It is the best game to take the advantage of the 3D, since the effect is somewhat required to play some levels better, which makes you proud to have a nintendo 3DS.

What I don't like about this Super Mario 3D Land is it praises too much the older marios, dedicating whole levels to remember you how awesome Mario 3 was. Ok Nintendo we get it: old school games are awesome and you we should (re)play them, but you don't have to bother us about it all that much.

I also feel the 'powerups' are a bit underused, with little to no real meaning in the game level design-wise.

The first half of the game is way too easy. I know about 'entry level barrier' and I feel it every time I present this game to a non gamer. But after world 4-5 or something it should get a bit tougher, and when the game is at its peak with their hardest levels presented there should me more and hardest levels, for the ones who really want a challenge, which ultimately isn't there.

The 'tanooki of shame', given if you die too much in a level doesn't help either, since I believe a player should learn and get better at the game to beat a level, and not being spoiled by it.

Lastly, the world map is just a straight line of levels; an element of the game that could be more elaborated and explored.

Definetly one of the best 3ds titles, though I feel nintendo could have done a bit more in this game; maybe they are saving it for the new super mario on Wii U.
  47. Jan 8, 2014
    One of the best games on the 3DS hands down. 3D Land has so far the best visuals on the 3DS, the game looks that impressive. Great level design, great music, a fun climax. This is pretty much what a 3D Mario game should be on a handheld.
  48. Apr 10, 2014
    Always been a bit skeptical when it comes to 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 is a game that I honestly never totally enjoyed, Super Mario Sunshine was a pain, but the galaxy series was fun but a bit long for my liking Super Mario 3D Land however is a very enjoyable, the level design is superb for every level, & I love the music, one thing that could have been improved is the control, it'sAlways been a bit skeptical when it comes to 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 is a game that I honestly never totally enjoyed, Super Mario Sunshine was a pain, but the galaxy series was fun but a bit long for my liking Super Mario 3D Land however is a very enjoyable, the level design is superb for every level, & I love the music, one thing that could have been improved is the control, it's not as bad as say Sonic 06, uhh, but the game has sometimes annoying 8-way directional control that allows you to go in one & only one direction which is disappointing when using the circle pad, sometimes I'll push one direction, especially in 2D sections, but due to only being allowed to use the circle pad, I could find myself going in a different direction than I intended, causing me to fall from the platforms to the deep pits below, it's a nit-pick as this hardly ever happens to me, but on those few occasions it was irritating! Expand
  49. Mar 4, 2014
    Just another Mario game. There isn't much new brought to this game, however what Nintendo have brought is their usual high standards and quality. If I managed to find a single fault its that its too easy to begin with, of course you do have to remember that this is essentially a children game, and near the end it does become challenging,

It is an essential game for the 3Ds that provides

It is an essential game for the 3Ds that provides a rich world, populated with puzzles and interesting characters and some frustrating challenges..
  50. Mar 18, 2014
    Mario has definitely come a long way on handhelds, and this is proof of that. This game is the best handheld mario experience to date, and will hopefully get even better. The game has incredible level design only matched on the console versions of mario, such as Galaxy and 3D World.
    Pros; -Level design (It has the best level design on any handheld mario game, and is almost perfect)
    - Presentation (The game boasts very vivid and eye-pleasing colors, and the 3D is great)
    - Replay Value (This is a game that you will want to play many times while waiting for something, like the bus)
    Cons; - Difficulty (The game can be very easy once you get the jist of the game)
    - Content (It took me 28 hours to 100% the game, and has been done in much less time by others)
    Overall, the game is the best handheld mario game on the market, and it's almost obligatory to own this game. If you don't already have it, do yourself a favor and buy this unique handheld mario game that will hopefully pave the way for future mario releases.
  51. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I very much enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, it was very fun. I really liked the formula they introduced in this game, it was creative because it combined elements from both the 2d Mario games and the 3d Mario games; Think Super Mario Bros. 3 combined with New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy. It was very enjoyable in this style, however I think this is unfortunately one of the easiest Mario games out there, luckily the levels the bonus worlds are harder, but I kind of wish we had more of a challenge in the regular levels. Super Mario 3D Land is very fun and very enjoyable, it's a must have for the 3DS and I can't wait to play it' sequel, Super Mario 3D World, once I get myself a Wii U. Expand
  52. Apr 16, 2014
    Really good game. It combines the 3d platforming of 64 and the linear worlds and levels of bros and creates a great game. The music is good and the level design is genius. The extra worlds can have you playing till you get every star coin.
  53. May 13, 2014
    I haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole newI haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole new world (literally :P) to explore, the 3D graphics are awesome. But I found this game to be very challenging it's not a bad thing just surprising so be ready for a challenge. And the replayability is good, after you finish a stage there is always something I missed (time clock) and it's fun to collect more coins and go through the same stage and find secrets and the rest of the tokens.

I highly recommend Super Mario 3D Land.
  54. May 24, 2014
    This is why I have a 3ds this why I love Mario great graphics great design I give this a ten and love how great this is and how detailed this is get this Now
  55. Aug 14, 2014
    It's like.. Mario's blessings on the new console.
    Thanks Mario for staying true to your fans and being the greatest platform character ever.
    the game is simply beautiful.
  56. Aug 3, 2014
    This IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!! How can humans be capable of such grand endeavors. They have to be wizards. With such flawless design and impeccable timing it's almost heavenly. A true god send. If you hate Mario games get it.
  57. Oct 25, 2014
    Alright, is not super mario galaxy but it doesnt needs to be, this game shines by itself. While we wait for the next mario masterpiece how about a little masterwork by the geniuses at nintendo?
    Never dissapoints, my only complain is that the game is TOO EASY. Remember galaxy had harder extra levels had added punch to us older players.
    You cannot go wrong with mario, this one has the
    You cannot go wrong with mario, this one has the tight controls, great soundtrack, amazing original levels that you expect from the franchise.
  58. Nov 11, 2014
    This is the second 3d Mario game on a handheld, but it flows so much better than the Super Mario 64 DS. It plays so well and the fact that u can play as Green Mario makes it even better.
  59. Dec 22, 2014
    Took my several months to beat and I loved it all the way through. A MUST HAVE for the 3DS, it will keep you entertained for a long, long time. This game is amazing!

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Mario is back! In a classic Mario-fashion you jump your way througheight worlds, where you battle goombas, koopas and the main meaniehimself, Bowser. This game is never particularly difficult, butgradually advanced to a challenge that feels just perfect. Fun, varied and guaranteed to make you smile.
    Lifesaver for all Nintendo 3DS owners. Super Mario 3D Land delivers flawless design and perfect use of 3D effects during the whole game. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 11, 2012
    The Nintendo 3DS has had a slow start, but I feel this marks one of the first important games to come out on this system. I can't say it's a must buy, but is really close for those who have already picked up a 3DS. The amount of content in this game along with the varying degree of gameplay makes this one of the best Mario games I've played in a while.