Super Mario 3D Land 3DS

8.4

1. Dec 28, 2016
    True Score: 8.5

Pros: - Feels like classic, updated Mario - Some great uses of 3D - Great level design (as always) - Incredible music - Great visuals for the 3DS Cons: - Power-ups are limited - Worlds feel scattered in level design, despite the individuals levels being great - Depth perception issues when 3D is not on (which it usually isn't for most players) - Some of the
    True Score: 8.5

Pros:
    - Feels like classic, updated Mario
    - Some great uses of 3D
    - Great level design (as always)
    - Incredible music
    - Great visuals for the 3DS

Cons:
    - Power-ups are limited
    - Some of the last few levels are incredibly frustrating
    - Only straight platforming levels (wouldn't usually be a con, but other modern Mario games usually have some kind of variation)
  2. Dec 2, 2016
    This is a very well made Mario game, probably one of the best. I enjoyed it very much. It paid homage to the old SMB games but also had fresh, new things to add. It's a challenging but not extremely difficult game. It's a fun, casual play.

However, there are a few problems with this title. They are not deal breakers, just minor flaws. One thing is there isn't a lot of variety. Instead this game sticks to what it knows, and does it very well. Lastly, the game is a tad short. You'll be able to finish it up pretty quickly. Still I think it's worth it to buy Super Mario Land 3D. It's an adventure that puts a smile on your face.
  3. Dec 2, 2016
    I simply could not believe that a game looking so fantastic could run on 3DS. For me personally, this is THE ultimate 3DS handheld experience (along with Fire Emblem Aweakening). A must play title for every owner of 3DS.
  4. Nov 14, 2016
    I love these type of graphics they work so well. The levels are fun and creative. I enjoyed myself the whole way through. This is the best Mario game I've played on a handheld. If you like 3D Mario games, you should play this one.
  5. Nov 13, 2016
    This game is so good that if you dont love it youve lost youre love of life. In these horrible times we live in Mario always puts a smile on my face. And in this game its more joyous than ever. Epic, beautiful, precious. Mario, you complete me x
  6. Oct 4, 2016
    This game makes me feel very nostalgic as it has a lot of throwbacks to the older games in the series. It also has some of the best 3D effects on the system as well as some of the best graphics you'll see on the handheld. It almost looks like Super Mario Galaxy. It does feel a bit awkward at first since it's not like other 3D mario games where you can attack enemies. Here, you can onlyThis game makes me feel very nostalgic as it has a lot of throwbacks to the older games in the series. It also has some of the best 3D effects on the system as well as some of the best graphics you'll see on the handheld. It almost looks like Super Mario Galaxy. It does feel a bit awkward at first since it's not like other 3D mario games where you can attack enemies. Here, you can only jump on them & use power up abilities. No punching or twirling attacks here. It's also gone back to Mario's roots a bit. It knows it's a game & wants you to have fun while still being challenged. There's an optional level on every world that you unlock by collecting Star Coins hidden in each stage. These optional levels offer more of a challenge than the others tend to do. Sadly, there's no overworld. It's classic 2D stage select here but no off paths to choose from. Just one straight line. It's not really a bad thing but I kind of liked the branching paths other games in the series have already done.

The only real issue I have with it is it's overwhelming spikes in difficulty. There are times when this game makes me want to throw my 3DS across the room because it is just unfair. So unfair, in fact, that it has the gall to give you the invincibility item when you die 5 times in a row. Now, let me give Nintendo some advice here. If a game's is designed to the point where you have to hand the player an invincibility item just so they can get through a level, you are DOING IT WRONG! It's not rewarding game play when you have to rely on an item like this in order to complete a level. It just means the game is designed poorly. Also, the controls are a bit off. The RUN button doesn't always make you run. It sometimes just puts you in a leisurely jog, which can get frustrating at times when you just want to run.

I also don't know why Nintendo opted for an A to B level design for this one. In a 3D world, you want to run around in 3D. Not run around from point A to point B. It's almost like they are forgetting the whole point with 3D games by releasing this one. It's basically New Super Mario Bros. with a Z axis.

Overall, it's worth picking up. It's a great game that's fun to play & challenging enough for older fans like myself. I don't really have any other complaints with it other than the spikes in difficulty & that the game hands me a free pass after 5 deaths & the fidgety run button. It's a good game, but other Mario games, like the Galaxy games or Sunshine, or even Super Mario 64 are far better.
  7. Sep 10, 2016
    One of my favorite Mario games ever. I love the second half of the game, feels like a nice bonus. The 3D looks amazing on the new 3ds. Must own for anyone with the system. Enjoy.
  8. Sep 9, 2016
    One of the best 3D Marios, and one of the best games to play on the 3DS. I don't know why the user score for it is so low, this game is really good.

I grew up with the original Super Mario Bros trilogy as a kid, on the NES. Super Mario Bros 3 was my favourite game for many years. I stopped caring for Mario much since the PS1 generation, but this game really made me happy and woke up memories.

It has plenty of levels and secrets, satisfying platforming, good use of 3D (though you can play it without it just fine), incredible music, it is lengthy enough but ideal for short bursts of gameplay. It has very nice graphics and smooth animations. It is has very good replayability, and it can be hard in later levels, but never punishing.

It is also very charming with the usual Super Mario charm, and features elements from Super Mario Bros 3 like musical themes. Those brought a tear to my eye. Never though small things like this could bring back childhood memories.

All in all, this is a must have game if you own a 3DS.
  9. Sep 2, 2016
    Nintendo has release a unique and creative handheld with Super Mario 3D Land. The game has simple gameplay and has beautiful graphics, wonderful levels, and not to mention Special Worlds! I give it a 9/10.
  10. Aug 31, 2016
    The perfect game if you are frustrated, if you are on your house, traveling, on friend's house, in everywhere, this game uses the 3D filter better than most games of the 3ds console, this game makes you feel, with is totally worth! actually comes with the new 3ds for 150 USD, a jackpot!
  11. Jul 20, 2016
    This game isn't as good as 3D world but this game still holds a lot of great aspects and this game is very enjoyable. Well it doesn't have the feel of the original super mario land but it still is great!
  12. Jun 28, 2016
    Good game for kids as it is extremely simple and linear with little to no context. As a returning Mario fan I personally got very little enjoyment out of playing through this (very short) game. But assuming it was intended for young kids, it is a pretty great option. Excellent use of the 3D capabilities and a couple of new mechanics. 8/10
  13. Jun 21, 2016
    [ Written on February 17th, 2016 ] Super Mario 3D Land, as you can judge by the title, may feel like an improvement of Super Mario Land, but don't let that fool you. It's by far more than that. As people say it's no near the gold seen in Super Mario 3D World, all I can say is that Super Mario 3D Land is a success of a Mario game. Originally, an 8, but I raised it to a 9 because why not,[ Written on February 17th, 2016 ] Super Mario 3D Land, as you can judge by the title, may feel like an improvement of Super Mario Land, but don't let that fool you. It's by far more than that. As people say it's no near the gold seen in Super Mario 3D World, all I can say is that Super Mario 3D Land is a success of a Mario game. Originally, an 8, but I raised it to a 9 because why not, right? Okay, the story is predictable, but the gameplay is what I love about Mario and this game. Get this one on a local store near you or on the Nintendo eShop if you have internet and a Nintendo Network ID. You won't regret it. Expand
  14. Jun 7, 2016
    Mario Platforming perfection, so many huge levels to play around in and enjoyable unlockables, also aiming to get a profile with 5 shiny stars on your 3ds card will give you around 30-40 hours of gameplay from this even for a Mario Veteran.
  15. Jun 4, 2016
    Mario 3D Land is a great game with wonderful art design and great 3D graphics probably the best 3D game in the the 3DS library. However, the worlds seem too short and the camera at some worlds is not helpful add to the few soundtrack that the game offers and the low volume of it. Anyhow if you love Mario games this is a must have game if not; give it shot because if offers extra contentMario 3D Land is a great game with wonderful art design and great 3D graphics probably the best 3D game in the the 3DS library. However, the worlds seem too short and the camera at some worlds is not helpful add to the few soundtrack that the game offers and the low volume of it. Anyhow if you love Mario games this is a must have game if not; give it shot because if offers extra content and playable beloved character. Expand
  16. May 27, 2016
    I'll keep this brief. Super Mario 3D Land is a fantastic entry in the Mario series, and a game any 3DS owner should have.

Pros: + Great gameplay and level design + Great graphics for 3DS + A bazillion levels to play through with the special worlds and all + Great soundtrack Cons: - Poor and undetailed story (when compared to other recent main series Mario games) So go buy

Pros:
    + Great gameplay and level design
    + Great graphics for 3DS
    + A bazillion levels to play through with the special worlds and all
    + Great soundtrack

Cons:

So go buy this if you haven't already.
  17. Apr 12, 2016
    Mario 3D Land, la idea fusión que funciona.
    La entrega define bien el concepto de plataforma 3d, no encontrarás nada mejor que esta amalgama que fusiona los primeros marios de 16 y 8bits con un 3ds fascinante con un perfecto gameplay.
    Es por eso que antes de adquirirlo, deben saber que no es un Mario 64 ni similar, es un juego de plataformas donde las etapas se pasan una vez y nada más.
    Mario 3D Land, la idea fusión que funciona.
    Es relativamente sencillo y provoca un fuerte sentido nostálgico la distribución de botones, pero haber jugado mario 64, sunshime y Galaxy uno extraña el concepto de exploración y la búsqueda de una misión.
    Las etapas se terminan similar a un plataforma horizontal, tienes una zona donde comienzas y una donde terminas bajo una determinada cantidad de tiempo.
    Si bien el concepto es sencillo, la diversión no se opaca y las etapas se lucen en gráficos, coloridos, equilibrados, donde Nintendo siempre se ha sabido lucir, la música es estilo retro remasterizado, con buenos detalles.
    Los enemigos son creativos pero faltos de dificultad, aun Nintendo no logra emular la dificultad de sus primeras 3 entregas que de seguro es la piedra faltante del jugador de antaño.

Mario 3d land es una compra segura, altamente recomendable para quienes vienen entrando de a poco al mundo de videojuegos y quienes no, el efecto 3d es fascinante siendo la justificación perfecta de la consola siendo cada etapa un espectáculo, un juego que no tiene falencias y su solo pecado es tener la increíble trayectoria de mario.
  18. Apr 4, 2016
    Super Mario 3D Land was the first 3D Mario game in a handheld (i'm not counting Super Mario 64 DS because that's technically a port) and the result was the first killer app for the 3DS system.

STORY: Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach...oh and the raccoon leafs from Super Mario Bros 3 are here. PRESENTATION: For a launch title for the 3DS Super Mario 3D Land still holds up pretty well.

The models look like they were ripped from the console games (even tho there's some pixelation, but that's to be expected from the 3DS) and the animation, while simplistic, it's appalling and functional. All the environments look bright, colorful and well done.

The music is very memorable and catchy, and the familiar sound effects are there.

Overall there's not much else to say, it's a great presentation that looks even better with the 3D on.

GAMEPLAY: Super Mario 3D Land is your typical Mario game and what i mean by that is aside from the new power ups, levels (which are very fun to play) and music, there's really nothing we haven't seen before. It's clear that Nintendo wanted to play safe on this one and leave all the new, polished and original for 3D world.

But that's not to say that the game is bad, oh no quite opposite. 3D land still has the great levels, power ups, music, graphics and humor that the series is known for, nevertheless i wished that for the next 3D mario game on a handheld, we get some new and interesting ideas.

But enough of that, let's go through this real quick. Mario can run, jump, wall jump, somersault and long jump just like he did before, but the last 2 techniques are not very helpful in this game. Mario still gets killed in 1 hit so you will need a power up like the returning mushroom, fire flower, the returning tanooki leaf (which allows Mario to slowly descend and to a spin attack) and star to get an extra hit, but this time we get a brand new power up, the boomerang flower, this allows you to throw a boomerang to kill enemies and collect star coins. If you get 2 power up at a time, you can store them in the touch screen and with a simple touch the power up will appear.

If you paid attention you might notice that i said "star coins", yep they are back and they function just like in New Super Mario Bros, theres 3 of them in each stage and you will need a specific number to unlock certain stages and the final level.

In the end, even tho it doesn't reinvent the wheel, Super Mario 3D Land is a fun worthwhile title that any 3DS owner needs to have. Great levels, graphics, music, power ups, etc. Super Mario 3D Land gets an 8/10.
  19. Mar 21, 2016
    I really like this game. It's one of the best games on the 3DS. If you wanna start playing Mario games, then this is the best place to start. And unlike the first Sonic game, this game is still a blast to play for veterans of the Mario franchise. My only major problem with this game is that it doesn't try anything new. It's heavily based on the likes of Super Mario Bros. 3, with theI really like this game. It's one of the best games on the 3DS. If you wanna start playing Mario games, then this is the best place to start. And unlike the first Sonic game, this game is still a blast to play for veterans of the Mario franchise. My only major problem with this game is that it doesn't try anything new. It's heavily based on the likes of Super Mario Bros. 3, with the tanooki suit making a return. Still, despite this major flaw, I still recommend it to everyone. Expand
  20. Feb 3, 2016
    I'm not even the biggest Nintendo, Mario, or platforming fan but this game is just casual fun. It perfectly takes advantage of all the features of the 3DS like 3D and the gyroscope. It's great in short bursts and there's tons of levels to play through and collect stars. Or you can go for time and speedrun the game. I just keep coming back to it to 3-star one more level.
  21. Dec 29, 2015
    Without a doubt one of the best games on the 3DS. Some good nice music with gorgeous graphics. It combines the best from the 2D and the 3D. The game was still heavily inspired by the classics. It also brings back the Tunooki suit from Super Mario Bros 3! The only down side is that it is on the easy side.
  22. Oct 19, 2015
    Listen, we all know what to expect from a mario game. You get that here just as you gotten it with every other iteration. The lone flaw with this game is the players ability to perceive depth. There are a few times in the game when it is difficult to tell when a platform you are jumping to is higher than the one you on. The 3D doesn't to a good enough job in this regard. It is not aListen, we all know what to expect from a mario game. You get that here just as you gotten it with every other iteration. The lone flaw with this game is the players ability to perceive depth. There are a few times in the game when it is difficult to tell when a platform you are jumping to is higher than the one you on. The 3D doesn't to a good enough job in this regard. It is not a problem that occurs very often but it is frustrating when it does. Other than that here is another great mario adventure. Expand
  23. Oct 10, 2015
    I spent a lot of my time playing .It's not the best Mario game,neither 3DS game,but is one of the best.Level design are good like all Mario.This game is a must have for the 3DS system.
  24. Aug 30, 2015
    This is one of my favourite games of all time. Super Mario 3D Land was released in 2011, had it since then. The graphics are really great for the 3DS. The controls are perfect. The game also feels like I am playing Super Mario Galaxy (Awesome game) and Super Mario Galaxy 2 AKA Best Game Ever. Hell they even brought back some of the cool music from those two games. The story is not thatThis is one of my favourite games of all time. Super Mario 3D Land was released in 2011, had it since then. The graphics are really great for the 3DS. The controls are perfect. The game also feels like I am playing Super Mario Galaxy (Awesome game) and Super Mario Galaxy 2 AKA Best Game Ever. Hell they even brought back some of the cool music from those two games. The story is not that different from the previous Mario Games. The levels are really fun, especially the Special Worlds. The designs are cool. Super Mario 3D Land is the best 3D Platformer on a handheld in my opinion that just beat the hell out of Super Mario 64 DS because THAT used to be my favourite handheld game; that is, until 3D Land came out. This game will make most gamers of All Ages smile, it's really fun and enjoyable. I believe this game was also one of the 3DS Launch Titles, and if it is, it is ONE OF THE BEST launch titles ever made. And one more thing, if you hate this game you are BEYOND silly as JB. Expand
  25. Jul 12, 2015
    A solid game, as to be expected from Nintendo. The graphics are charming, the levels are interesting, and it is great to just relax and get your mind off things. Also, the 3D feature of 3DS finds its use here; it's much easier to navigate levels and aim your jumps with 3D on, so this was the first time i turned it on since i bought the system. The controls should be mentioned; MarioA solid game, as to be expected from Nintendo. The graphics are charming, the levels are interesting, and it is great to just relax and get your mind off things. Also, the 3D feature of 3DS finds its use here; it's much easier to navigate levels and aim your jumps with 3D on, so this was the first time i turned it on since i bought the system. The controls should be mentioned; Mario controls really smoothly, with a satisfying sense of weight and inertia; it's easy to get used and use the controls to the max.

There are, however, issues. The game is, for its price, really short; if you play it with intention to beat it, you will be done in a couple of hours, give or take. Unlike some other games which provide bonuses for putting 3DS away for a while, there are no such incentives here; you will be forced to put the game away not because you had enough, but because you know you will be done with it too quickly otherwise. Furthermore, while levels in the game are, as per usual, divided into worlds, there are no themes in those worlds to speak of; while minor, it is really strange and takes away a spoonful of fun there was in looking at those cool new places you could visit.
  26. May 4, 2015
    Absolutely fantastic Mario game. The whole feel, the music, the controls, the graphics are exactly what you want from it. The 3D is very good - it doesn't add a lot to the gameplay (as with most 3DS games) but it does add nice depth to the backgrounds, and gives a certain extra something to landing your jumps on the enemies or platforms.

The level design is largely very good, but

The level design is largely very good, but leads to the one complaint I have - it's too short! I completed all 8 worlds and obtained all 3 star coins on all but a handful of the levels on the first try. The rest weren't hard to find. The levels are quite small so finding them wasn't a huge challenge. The special levels mix it up, and have so far been more difficult to complete 100%. The Bowser levels are few, but are very exciting, having you run towards the switch at the end a la Super Mario Bros on NES, except in a long, 3D section rather than a short bridge as in that original.

There is little replay value here in the short-term (unless you ARE struggling to get 3 star coins everywhere) but I definitely will run through it again probably every year or two, as I do with most other Mario titles.

Easily the best Super Mario (platforming) handheld game for sure, and gives many of the home console games a run for their money.
  27. Apr 10, 2015
    Solid plattformer, without the quality thad made the series great, and without any innovations or especially well gameplay, level design, graphics or 3D.
    Pretty much feels like New Super Mario Bros in small 3D environments, which definitely isnt a bad thing, and i can certainly see people having fun with this game, but as the systems primary Mario game, it did disappoint me.
    All in

All in all, 80/100 points, for still being one of the best plattformers on the system...
  28. Apr 6, 2015
    Super Mario 3D Land is pretty fun Mario game, i really enjoy the game's aspect of it going
    Mario is on adventure to save Peach as always,
    the gameplay is good but finding the coins stars kinda hard to play game but this issue won't take me to stop playing the game,
  29. Mar 27, 2015
    This game was made for the 3DS, and I don't intend that to be an obvious statement. A lot of games are made for the 3DS but are faulty on one of two levels: 1) they don't utilize the full capabilities of the 3DS -or- 2) they try wayyy too hard to maximize the 3D aspect, which let's be honest, can be a real strain on the eyes. Super Mario 3D Land does it perfectly. There's parts where youThis game was made for the 3DS, and I don't intend that to be an obvious statement. A lot of games are made for the 3DS but are faulty on one of two levels: 1) they don't utilize the full capabilities of the 3DS -or- 2) they try wayyy too hard to maximize the 3D aspect, which let's be honest, can be a real strain on the eyes. Super Mario 3D Land does it perfectly. There's parts where you need to have the 3D slider on, but the game doesn't use it as a crutch for being a 3DS game. There's plenty of innovation with added suits, world diversity, and the gameplay is just downright fun. This one is a blast, and its replay value is extremely high. Expand
  30. Mar 22, 2015
    If Wii Sports was made to show the Wii off, then Super Mario 3D Land was made to show the 3DS off. It may be wrong to compare it to masterpieces like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 but whenever the word "3D" is slapped right on the title, one would assume it's in the 3D Mario series. The levels are great but for some reason, Nintendo's opted for gameplay that's closer to the 2D platformers than theIf Wii Sports was made to show the Wii off, then Super Mario 3D Land was made to show the 3DS off. It may be wrong to compare it to masterpieces like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 but whenever the word "3D" is slapped right on the title, one would assume it's in the 3D Mario series. The levels are great but for some reason, Nintendo's opted for gameplay that's closer to the 2D platformers than the massive 3D ones. It's not bad by any means but 3D Land feels a bit lacking in the end. Expand
  31. Feb 13, 2015
    Best handheld game ever! This game is awesome. The graphics are great. The level designs are well done. The special worlds are fun. The controls are perfect. Super Mario 3D Land is an amazing game and it is a must buy for 3DS owners.
  32. Jan 19, 2015
    It's a very good 3D platformer, not the best i would say, and it's too simple at times, but it's still a good game. Platformer fans should look this up.
  33. Dec 22, 2014
    Took my several months to beat and I loved it all the way through. A MUST HAVE for the 3DS, it will keep you entertained for a long, long time. This game is amazing!
  34. Dec 13, 2014
    A joyful romp, even though the difficulty doesn't ramp up until the special worlds come around. Expect all from it that you would any console 3D Mario release, but be ready to have to step things up a notch once you beat the main game.
  35. Dec 8, 2014
    3D Land is the first original 3D Mario game on a handheld and it doesn't disappoint. Great graphics, sound and gameplay make this a great platformer, the only negative point being it's difficulty -it's a bit on the easy side.
  36. Nov 22, 2014
    The weakest entry in the 3D Mario platformer series, but that's not a bad thing. It's on a handheld and all the 3D Mario games are really good, this game was so good that I 100% it. But still, it was really easy. If you are looking for a nice challenge it's not here, the Special worlds are more challenging, but I breezed through the levels no problem. Also the Special Worlds are the sameThe weakest entry in the 3D Mario platformer series, but that's not a bad thing. It's on a handheld and all the 3D Mario games are really good, this game was so good that I 100% it. But still, it was really easy. If you are looking for a nice challenge it's not here, the Special worlds are more challenging, but I breezed through the levels no problem. Also the Special Worlds are the same levels you already did with some differences. Good entry in the 3d Mario Platformers, but not as good as 64 or Galaxy. 3D World on the Wii U is better than this game Expand
  37. Nov 11, 2014
    This is the second 3d Mario game on a handheld, but it flows so much better than the Super Mario 64 DS. It plays so well and the fact that u can play as Green Mario makes it even better.
  38. Nov 5, 2014
    the game is good good visuals good gameplay but they bascally put new super mario bros and made it in 3d and the game lacks a hubworld like super mario galaxy
  39. Oct 25, 2014
    Alright, is not super mario galaxy but it doesnt needs to be, this game shines by itself. While we wait for the next mario masterpiece how about a little masterwork by the geniuses at nintendo?
    Never dissapoints, my only complain is that the game is TOO EASY. Remember galaxy had harder extra levels had added punch to us older players.
    You cannot go wrong with mario, this one has the
    You cannot go wrong with mario, this one has the tight controls, great soundtrack, amazing original levels that you expect from the franchise.
  40. Oct 7, 2014
    Awesome and really fun game. If you have 3DS you must get this. Definitely one of the best 3DS games. The first few levels might be boring and easy, but it gets awesome and fun really quickly.
  41. Oct 3, 2014
    Hey, hey! Said what? I like this one! All models were from Super Mario Galaxy. 30 FPS is not problem. Truly fun, perfect 3D presentation as the first Nintendo 3DS game. No 3D Land, no 3DS.
  42. Sep 7, 2014
    This is an all-around solid platformer worthy of the Mario name. It's lighthearted and charming as you'd expect, though it comes dangerously close to being too easy. But don't worry; the game becomes challenging later on. The blend of 2D and 3D design philosophy is masterful at times, and feels truly inspired by what made old Mario games great.
  43. Aug 14, 2014
    It's like.. Mario's blessings on the new console.
    Thanks Mario for staying true to your fans and being the greatest platform character ever.
    the game is simply beautiful.
  44. Jul 9, 2014
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9.0/10 • Story: 6/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements +Great Variety in Level design
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Total Score: 90/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements
    +Great Variety in Level design and Difficulty
    +Play as Mario (and Luigi later on)
    +A lot of elements from previous Mario games such as the NES series
    +Great Sound and Music work
    +Well designed visuals

Cons
    -Some notable characters were missing such as Yoshi and the Koopa Kids
    -2nd half of game is mainly a rehash of the first half with a few differences but nothing too noticeable
  45. Jul 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Super Mario 3D Land is a great Mario game with a few things holding it back from standing out.

The gameplay is as you'd expect, the controls feel tight and responsive and stomping on goombas is as satisfying as ever. The level design is great and levels are short to suit the handheld style. The new power ups are great, with both the tanooki and boomerang suits being a blast to play with. Complaints that the game is short are in my opinion unfounded. Yes the 8 worlds are over pretty quickly but you then unlock a whole 8 new 'special worlds' meaning the game will easily take 16 odd hours to finish and that's before you even collect the star coins (which in general is fun rather than it being a chore). My issue is not the length but that the special worlds are a little repetitive. They're essentially levels you've already played with extra enemies or new elements thrown in such as shadow Mario or a decreased time limit. While this makes a fun challenge it gets repetitive when certain levels are used 3 or 4 times and occasionally feels like things have been made difficult for the sake of it, rather than challenging in a fun way.

Visually the game makes great use of the 3D (the birds eye view levels where Mario looks as if he's jumping out the screen were a highlight) and is a good showcase of the 3DS' capabilities. Levels are generally full of colour and vibrant but occasionally feel a bit sterile, I couldn't put my finger on why but I think it might be the lack of detail in the background on some levels. The sound is as strong as ever with cool tunes and sound effects throughout.

In conclusion this is a great first handheld 3D outing for the plumber but the repetitive special worlds and lack of that intangible magic that Mario titles often bring holds it back from standing out from the rest of Mario's catalogue. If you own a 3DS then you should own this, it's one of the best games on the system. If you don't, it's probably not quite special enough to warrant the purchase of one just for this game.
  46. Jun 24, 2014
    So much fun! So much nostalgia. Looks great and loaded with charm and challenge. StreetPass features are pretty worthless, but otherwise a great experience overall. Easily a must-own 3DS title.
  47. Jun 18, 2014
    Vacating exploration for precision platforming galore, 3D Land ambitiously restates Mario's undertaking in the third dimension to great success. Late game challenges will demand untold accuracy of the omnidirectional Mario, sometimes causing intended actions to fluff and ultimately become the biggest obstacle of all.
  48. Jun 9, 2014
    When it comes to platform games Nintendo really know what they are doing and Super Mario 3D Land is a worthy addition to the Mario franchise. Gorgeous graphics,great music, well thought out level design, and a simple but effective control system.
    While it's not my favourite 3ds game I can certainly understand that it would be a favourite game for many.
    9/10.
  49. May 24, 2014
    This is why I have a 3ds this why I love Mario great graphics great design I give this a ten and love how great this is and how detailed this is get this Now
  50. May 13, 2014
    I haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole newI haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole new world (literally :P) to explore, the 3D graphics are awesome. But I found this game to be very challenging it's not a bad thing just surprising so be ready for a challenge. And the replayability is good, after you finish a stage there is always something I missed (time clock) and it's fun to collect more coins and go through the same stage and find secrets and the rest of the tokens.

I highly recommend Super Mario 3D Land.
  51. Apr 29, 2014
    There's no question – if you own a 3DS, this is the best game on the platform, and instantly worthy of a purchase. It's one of the best portable platformers I've ever played graphics spot and and the 3d effects are amazing
  52. Apr 26, 2014
    Very good game, very fun to play and it was well worth the money! The only problem that I have with this game is that it is just far too easy. I completed it all within 5 hours of playtime which is quiet frankly outrageous. I know that Nintendo aim Mario at kids nowadays, but come on, at least make it challenging with difficulty settings or something!
  53. Apr 16, 2014
    Really good game. It combines the 3d platforming of 64 and the linear worlds and levels of bros and creates a great game. The music is good and the level design is genius. The extra worlds can have you playing till you get every star coin.
  54. Apr 10, 2014
    Always been a bit skeptical when it comes to 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 is a game that I honestly never totally enjoyed, Super Mario Sunshine was a pain, but the galaxy series was fun but a bit long for my liking Super Mario 3D Land however is a very enjoyable, the level design is superb for every level, & I love the music, one thing that could have been improved is the control, it'sAlways been a bit skeptical when it comes to 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 is a game that I honestly never totally enjoyed, Super Mario Sunshine was a pain, but the galaxy series was fun but a bit long for my liking Super Mario 3D Land however is a very enjoyable, the level design is superb for every level, & I love the music, one thing that could have been improved is the control, it's not as bad as say Sonic 06, uhh, but the game has sometimes annoying 8-way directional control that allows you to go in one & only one direction which is disappointing when using the circle pad, sometimes I'll push one direction, especially in 2D sections, but due to only being allowed to use the circle pad, I could find myself going in a different direction than I intended, causing me to fall from the platforms to the deep pits below, it's a nit-pick as this hardly ever happens to me, but on those few occasions it was irritating! Expand
  55. Apr 9, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land seems to be mixed by a lot of people. The game has a 64 feeling to it, yet has a different touch as well. The game overall is pretty good. What it lacks is a replay value. Once you beat it...you beat it. 8/10
  56. Apr 8, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land is not only one of the most fun platformers I've played, it is one of the better 3DS games available. The graphics are gorgeous, and the difficulty slowly increases allowing for both skilled and rookie gamers to enjoy themselves. Fail a stage too many times, and you will get the option to unlock items at the beginning of the level that help you complete it without anySuper Mario 3D Land is not only one of the most fun platformers I've played, it is one of the better 3DS games available. The graphics are gorgeous, and the difficulty slowly increases allowing for both skilled and rookie gamers to enjoy themselves. Fail a stage too many times, and you will get the option to unlock items at the beginning of the level that help you complete it without any trouble by offering invincibility for extended periods of time.

Personally, I found the first half of the game fairly easy, and was worried, but the second half is far more difficult and it is very rewarding when you finally beat a level that has killed you ten times in a row. The level design is quite good, although some of the best elements are only used on one or two stages.
  57. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I very much enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, it was very fun. I really liked the formula they introduced in this game, it was creative because it combined elements from both the 2d Mario games and the 3d Mario games; Think Super Mario Bros. 3 combined with New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy. It was very enjoyable in this style, however I think this is unfortunately one of the easiest Mario games out there, luckily the levels the bonus worlds are harder, but I kind of wish we had more of a challenge in the regular levels. Super Mario 3D Land is very fun and very enjoyable, it's a must have for the 3DS and I can't wait to play it' sequel, Super Mario 3D World, once I get myself a Wii U. Expand
  58. Mar 23, 2014
    Really good mario game but lacks replay value like most of the others. Of course you can unlock harder version of the levels after beating the game but i didn't want to play again when everything is done unlike Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World which are still a blast to play more than 20 years after.
  59. Mar 4, 2014
    Just another Mario game. There isn't much new brought to this game, however what Nintendo have brought is their usual high standards and quality. If I managed to find a single fault its that its too easy to begin with, of course you do have to remember that this is essentially a children game, and near the end it does become challenging,

It is an essential game for the 3Ds that provides

It is an essential game for the 3Ds that provides a rich world, populated with puzzles and interesting characters and some frustrating challenges..
  60. Feb 16, 2014
    As always, gameplay wise it doesn't get much better. My problem is that it all feels too clinical. It's not a world that Mario is adventuring through, it feels more like a lab experiment. Still had good fun though
  61. Jan 29, 2014
    This is honestly my favorite 3DS game. I played Super Mario 3D World before I played this and I hesitated on buying this because I wasn't blown away by 3D World and I thought that the games might be similar. Well, they are not. 3D Land is completely made with the 3D feature in mind and is just a straight up pure mario game. This is my favorite Mario game since Super Mario 64. I like 3DThis is honestly my favorite 3DS game. I played Super Mario 3D World before I played this and I hesitated on buying this because I wasn't blown away by 3D World and I thought that the games might be similar. Well, they are not. 3D Land is completely made with the 3D feature in mind and is just a straight up pure mario game. This is my favorite Mario game since Super Mario 64. I like 3D World and this game actually makes me appreciate it a little more, but this game just has the 'it' factor. I just like playing it. Every single level I have played (I just got to stage 8) has been a lot of fun. Not necessarily the most challenging (I have 54 lives), but very, very, fun and just an unbelievably good game for a hand held. This is definitely the best playform for this type of mario game which pulls from various influences while innovating with the 3D aspect. Expand
  62. Jan 8, 2014
    One of the best games on the 3DS hands down. 3D Land has so far the best visuals on the 3DS, the game looks that impressive. Great level design, great music, a fun climax. This is pretty much what a 3D Mario game should be on a handheld.
  63. Jan 5, 2014
    when I was a young kid I felt nintendo should release a super mario game each year. It could just have the Super Mario World engine with new levels, and it would still be an outstanding game.

By 'outstanding I don't mean 'the ultimate gaming experience' that was Super Mario 64. Super mario 3D land is an outstanding game and you will have lots of fun playing all levels and collecting star coins, as it is real fun to revisit levels to get them.

It is the best game to take the advantage of the 3D, since the effect is somewhat required to play some levels better, which makes you proud to have a nintendo 3DS.

What I don't like about this Super Mario 3D Land is it praises too much the older marios, dedicating whole levels to remember you how awesome Mario 3 was. Ok Nintendo we get it: old school games are awesome and you we should (re)play them, but you don't have to bother us about it all that much.

I also feel the 'powerups' are a bit underused, with little to no real meaning in the game level design-wise.

The first half of the game is way too easy. I know about 'entry level barrier' and I feel it every time I present this game to a non gamer. But after world 4-5 or something it should get a bit tougher, and when the game is at its peak with their hardest levels presented there should me more and hardest levels, for the ones who really want a challenge, which ultimately isn't there.

The 'tanooki of shame', given if you die too much in a level doesn't help either, since I believe a player should learn and get better at the game to beat a level, and not being spoiled by it.

Lastly, the world map is just a straight line of levels; an element of the game that could be more elaborated and explored.

Definetly one of the best 3ds titles, though I feel nintendo could have done a bit more in this game; maybe they are saving it for the new super mario on Wii U.
  64. Jan 4, 2014
    This game is one of the best games out there for the 3DS, hands down. Although there is a bit of a problem with the level-skipping Invincibility Leaf, it can easily be overlooked you can continue to play the game without having to resort to it. Difficulty aside, I would really recommend this game for anyone who enjoys a good platformer.
  65. Dec 29, 2013
    This is probably tied with A Link Between Worlds as the best game for the 3DS. When I saw the new game, I thought, "Gee, another Mario game, but in 3D! This is ridiculous." But then I got it for Christmas, and I didn't know that I played it till 10:00 p.m. until I bothered to look at the clock. This game demonstrates the 3DS's capabilities, and Nintendo made it with great care. This gameThis is probably tied with A Link Between Worlds as the best game for the 3DS. When I saw the new game, I thought, "Gee, another Mario game, but in 3D! This is ridiculous." But then I got it for Christmas, and I didn't know that I played it till 10:00 p.m. until I bothered to look at the clock. This game demonstrates the 3DS's capabilities, and Nintendo made it with great care. This game is loads of fun and will hook you instantly, with levels that remind me of a cross between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario World. It's fun, fast, and beautiful. The world is seamless and the music is great. This is a console seller. Expand
  66. Dec 21, 2013
    mario*_*
    -must for all jump and run player

good thinks:
    it has a lot levels
    the graphic is good
    it has 16. worlds
    the 3d is good

negativ
    -no veriaty in the levels
    -its to easy only the last level is hard
  67. Nov 27, 2013
    A nice first experience for Mario's first dive into the latest handheld. The gameplay is unique and fun, the 3D works wonders, and the atmosphere is very Mario-like.
  68. Nov 16, 2013
    This is the most perfect... thing to come out of Nintendo's unoriginal mind. If you got this packaged with the red 3DS, good for you, that was the wisest purchase of your life. Though, yes there is little new power-ups, that doesn't stop this game from exploding your thumbs from not having an awesomeness shield. I would write more, if i wasn't too lazy.
  69. Oct 20, 2013
    Almost my favorite 3ds game behind Mario Kart 7 all I can say is that its another Great 3D Mario game, that is also quite challenging and works great with the 3ds.
  70. Oct 19, 2013
    This game is good as frick. All the people that complain about this game are idiots who bash this game for being different from previous 3D Super Mario titles. This game combines characteristics of the original four 2D platforming Super Mario titles (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World) with the more recent 3D platforming MarioThis game is good as frick. All the people that complain about this game are idiots who bash this game for being different from previous 3D Super Mario titles. This game combines characteristics of the original four 2D platforming Super Mario titles (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World) with the more recent 3D platforming Mario titles (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2). The turnout, one may be asking? The turnout is the perfect blend of everything a true Mario fan could possibly adore about the series over the years, and more. The Tanooki Suit returns from Super Mario Bros. 3, with our the ability to fly and transform into a statue unlike SMB3, but still retains the ability to glide and tail-whip enemies and objects. Also, you transform into Tanooki Mario by touching the Super Leat instead of touching the Tanooki icon. Plus, there's a variation of the Tanooki Suit that adds the ability to transform into a statue. There are also other power-ups, such as the classic Super Mushroom and Fire Flower, the new Boomerang Flower based off of Boomerang Bros. and inspired by the Hammer Bros. Suit from SMB3, the White Tanooki Suit, granting Mario invincibility, and the P-Wing, returning from SMB3. It functions differently from SMB3, though, as it transports Mario to the goal this time around. There are 16 worlds in total, including 8 worlds in the main story campaign, and 8 special worlds, making 96 courses in total. Luigi is unlockable after beating Special World 1's castle level. The gameplay itself contains levels that are much more linear than previous 3D Mario titles, distinguishing it from the rest. Mario's health system functions like the 2D Mario titles, as you shrink or lose a power-up every time you take damage. The levels are designed like the 2D Mario games, focused more on platforming than exploration, unlike previous Mario titles. The game takes perfect use of the 3DS's capabilities, as the 3D effect really makes this game look appealing to the eye, and helps in sections involving puzzles where 3D comes in handy to help the player reach the Comet Medal, and the gyroscope is taken advantage of in areas where you must look through binoculars or shoot Mario out of a cannon, and the touch screen is used to use stored power-up items. The game is somewhat weak story-wise, but who cares? This is a Mario platformer, not a Mario RPG. The game has a high amount of replay value, encouraging players to 100% complete the game (including gold flagpoles on each level and to collect all Comet Medals, which I did) to unlock a final level that test players' skills known as Special World 8-Crown (which I completed). The music has quite memorable jazz music (which reminds me of 1950's big band music), as well as other memorable tracks, including remixed tracks from previous games in the Mario series. There is even a Streetpass feature, including the exchanging of others' bonus games (where you must collect every coin and Comet Medal in the room before time runs out) and others' time records (encourages speed runs). My main complaints about this game are that the main story campaign is too easy (not counting the Special Worlds), the boss battles are repetitive (only 3 boss characters, alternating in each world), there is no hub world, it's somewhat nostalgia-reliant, and the linearity makes this game inferior to the other 3D Mario titles. Nonetheless, this is the first handheld-exclusive 3D Mario title, and it is quite a fantastic Mario title overall. Overall, I give this game a 9.4 out of 10, which when rounded up to the nearest whole number, is a 9 out of 10. I highly recommend this game to any 3DS owner, and any fan of Mario or the platforming genre. Expand
  71. Sep 22, 2013
    excelente juego completamente en 3D, muy entretenido y adictivo, ademas es de bastante duracion porque cuando terminas el juego con Mario puedes jugar 8 mundos especiales con Luigi y son mucho mas dificiles, de los mejores juegos de Nintendo 3DS
  72. Sep 13, 2013
    I love this game! I can't stop playing it. Mario is better than ever. Awesome 3D graphics,loads of levels,and best of all,endless fun. The new power-ups,like the Super Leaf and boomerang suit,are really awesome and helps a lot in this game. I wonder if there will be Super Mario 3D Land 2....
  73. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. after all of these years most mario games on handhelds have been in 2D sidescroling. but then nintendo ended this streak with super mario 3D land on the 3DS. The first original 3D super mario game on a handheld console. The game looks great in graphics, the 3D effect sometimes helps you play the game, everything just feels better with the 3D on. the gameplay is like a mixture of super mario 64, super mario galaxy, and new super mario bros, it's a 3D mario game that plays like a 2D mario game, so you walk through levels like super mario 64 or galaxy and end the level by touching the flagpole, no looking for shine sprites or power stars to finish the level, nope you just touch the flagpole, I really like this blend of gameplay and think that it really works well. This game also brings back the tanooki suit from super mario bros 3, and I really like that they brought a classic power up into a 3D world. the 3D effect has two levels, pop out 3D where the images look like they're popping off the screen, and depth 3D the images look like you're looking at them from a window. the 3D helps you with the game because there are some puzzles that can only be solved if the 3D effect is on, the illusions like a bunch of boxes and one box is far away but looks like it's with all of the other boxes. These illusions were very cool and it really made the game a lot better. just like the other mario games, the story is simple, Princess peach has been kidnapped by bowser and mario has to save her. There are 8 worlds and 8 special worlds that get unlocked after completing the main game. you also can hunt down star coins which are hidden in levels to unlock more levels in the special worlds, this adds a lot of replay value to the game. the star coins aren't just used to unlock levels in the special worlds, they also unlock castles in world 5 and world 8. by the way, let's talk about the bosses, in castles world 5 and 8 you fight bowser, and the rest of the worlds have starships just like super mario bros 3, and the boss of the starships is some guy who just spins around untill he gets dizzy. all in all this is a great mario game and is a must have for all 3DS owners, it's not as good as good as the super mario galaxy games but it's pretty close. Expand
  74. Aug 22, 2013
    I must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as MarioI must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as Mario veterans. After many deaths the character has the option to get an invincibility suit, which allows enemies to be taken down with ease. If you continue to fail, the game developers allow you to skip to the goal post without any work (known as the P wing). However, to get the full spoils of the level you will have to play at a later date again. Like I said, the game is a masterpiece. It is a must own for any 3DS owner. Expand
  75. Aug 16, 2013
    Easily one of the best Mario games ever and my favorite 3DS game (it's like Super Mario Galaxy mixed with New Super Mario Bros.) if you own a 3DS do yourself a favor and buy it trust me you won't be disappointed.
  76. Aug 7, 2013
    La salvación de Nintendo 3DS fue este juego, y debo admitir, fue el mejor juego (sin incluir remakes) de Nintendo 3DS durante todo un año y para ser un juego portátil, ofrece mucho y es de muy buena calidad, se ambienta en un mundo enorme y une perfectamente la escencia de los Mario 3D y los Mario 2D.
  77. Aug 5, 2013
    Pretty fun game. Most of the game is very easy but there are few hard levels. I like music in this game and graphics are almost as good as in Super Mario Galaxy. What I didn't like was the controls. Why can't I use d-pad? Circle Pad is pretty clunky but I got used to it.
  78. Aug 4, 2013
    The first game for the 3DS to really make the 3D essential.

Really good graphics with great gameplay and feel of 3D Mario Games. There is not a lot of bad things to say about this game. In general everything is great. It can be frustrating at times, but just like with the majority of Mario games, it gets frustrating because of you, not because of the game. Fortunately, or maybe in
    The first game for the 3DS to really make the 3D essential.

Really good graphics with great gameplay and feel of 3D Mario Games.

Fortunately, or maybe in this case unfortunately, the instances where it gets frustrating are not very many because this is a very easy game. Some of the stages later on can get a bit tougher, but even with extra content unlocked, this game lasted me about 22 hours.

+ Great visuals and 3D
    + Fun Gameplay
    + Easy to play on the go
    + Classic Mario greatness

- Very short game

Despite the game being short, this is still a 10 using this rating system.

A MUST HAVE for every 3DS owner.
  79. Aug 3, 2013
    Gameplay-9: The gameplay is great and the action and exploration is fun every time, the difficulty of the levels can fluctuate a bit though.
    Length-10: This game has 16 huge worlds with lots of star medals to collect and you can always challenge your speed, very nice and lengthy game, especially for a handheld
    Sound-9: The sound is amazing, and sounds very well orchestrated. The reason
    Sound-9: The sound is amazing, and sounds very well orchestrated. The reason it gets a 9 is because, the music isn't quite as driving or epic as some other games, but overall very good
    Graphics-10. Very smooth detailed graphics, especially for a handheld.
    Fun-9: This game is great, it is really enjoyable looking for ways to find and solve ways to get medals, its almost as if they mixed in elements of the puzzle genre, without the frustration of having a nearly impossible puzzles.
    Overall: 9.4 Amazing
  80. Jul 28, 2013
    Great game, gameplay, "story", 3D design... The only downside to this game is that you have to beat every world at least 3 times to get all the badges, which becomes boring after a while
  81. Jul 25, 2013
    Wow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn'tWow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn't let it go anymore. The use of the 3DS's amazing 3D capabilities is simply exceptional. Level design is brilliant. Camera movements are virtually perfect. While the Mario sidescrollers have gotten old for me, this kind of title is a reminder Nintendo are still veterans of good level design and great game mechanics and can still manage a hit like is Super Mario 3D Land! Expand
  82. Jul 21, 2013
    This game has a nice twist: A 3D platformer with 2D side-scrolling elements. It's a very enjoyable game, and I enjoy how they bring back the Tanooki suit after over 20 years of absence. Though it does get harder as it goes on (with a total of 16 worlds) I recommend it.
  83. Jul 17, 2013
    After Super Mario Galaxy 2's masterful achievement, I was hoping for a bit more. Super Mario 3D Land feels a bit like a digression. But there's no denying it's a excellent game anyway. It's just disappointing. Here's the thing. Galaxy felt more free, non-linear, and unpredictable. You never knew what to expect from a new galaxy. In 3D Land, the ideas aren't whizzing around as fast. ItAfter Super Mario Galaxy 2's masterful achievement, I was hoping for a bit more. Super Mario 3D Land feels a bit like a digression. But there's no denying it's a excellent game anyway. It's just disappointing. Here's the thing. Galaxy felt more free, non-linear, and unpredictable. You never knew what to expect from a new galaxy. In 3D Land, the ideas aren't whizzing around as fast. It definitely plays it safe. Level design is what perks it up, though. 3D Land takes the predictability and does a lot with it. Level design can also be annoyingly restrictive. Part of Galaxy's freedom was due to the loose design and the great camera. But 3D Land feels forceful all the time, like a 2D mario. It's fine in a mario bros. game because that's what it is, but not in a 3D platformer. There are also very few actual bosses, with mere repitions most of the time. Boom-boom in world 2, Boom-boom in world 3, e.t.c. The final boss is Bowser, but actually very good, maybe even the best final boss in a mario game, EVER. It may be linear, but 3D Land has got a good sixty hours of play if you want to get all the star medals (three in each level). These are challenging and greatly increase the replay value. And I have to say, while some levels are almost exactly the same as they would be in a 2D platformer, others have distances difficult to judge if the 3D effect is off. This is an excellent example of how 3D can be important in games. Expand
  84. Jul 13, 2013
    This game goes under the heading of essential 3DS games to own and play. It's fantastic fun and there is a ton of things to unlock and hunting down 3 stars for every level will take a good while. The later levels are devilish, of course you have a bajillion lives but they are quite tricky. If you don't come away from the very last level cursing toads everywhere you are a super human my friend.
  85. Apr 30, 2013
    This is best of the Mario 3DS games. It has really cool power-ups, awesome levels, cool adventures, really classic 3D and lots of secrets to find and shortcuts to skip through levels. That is why I rate it 10/10. You can get the cool photos from completing the worlds and put them in your photo app.
  86. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is a tremendous amount of fun! It has everything you want on a game.Great controls, visuals, character and sound.If you own a 3DS and you dont have it go running to your store and buy it
  87. Apr 23, 2013
    I must confess that I was never a fan of Mario games for a couple of reasons: as a child, I thought that the graphics were boring, with too many regular shapes and few colours, compared to games like Rayman for instance; I didn't like the lack of a health meter and the time limit of each level; finally, the difficulty level seemed a bit high. It is true that I have only played a few MarioI must confess that I was never a fan of Mario games for a couple of reasons: as a child, I thought that the graphics were boring, with too many regular shapes and few colours, compared to games like Rayman for instance; I didn't like the lack of a health meter and the time limit of each level; finally, the difficulty level seemed a bit high. It is true that I have only played a few Mario games, the first one on the NES and a few on the GBA. In any case, Super Mario 3D Land has changed my opinion regarding all the matters mentioned above.

The graphics are excellent, probably the best on the 3ds so far. The colours are rich and bright, and each level has its own theme with unique elements. The 3d effect is very good and it is one of the few games where the effect really improves gameplay. There are many power-ups in the game, which apart from giving an extra power, allow the character to take 2 hits. You can also store an additional power-up, so the lack of a health meter is no longer a significant issue. Although there is still a time limit, there is plenty of time to finish each level. Finally, the difficulty of the main game is low to medium. For those looking for a challenge, after completing the main game you unlock the special worlds with higher difficulty (this part is equal in length to the main game).

However, there are a few things which I didn't like about this game, and this is why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. At some point, the game becomes repetitive. From the beginning, you will notice that there are only two types of boss fights (with the exception of the last). You might ignore this aspect in the main game, since the other levels are very different. However, many of the levels in the special worlds are variations of the levels in the main game. This might also be acceptable, since it is very difficult to come up with completely new levels in such a game. The problem is that in order to complete the game 100%, you will sometimes have to repeat levels in order to collect all the coins and get the golden flags. But even worse, after completing all the levels with Mario, you will also have to complete them with Luigi. Repeating everything also means hearing "Wahoo", "Wee", "Mah", "Waa", "Aaaah" hundreds of times, and the same music tracks. This might be very annoying for some people.

Another complaint is the lack of a physical manual. Paying 30 pounds for this game, I was expecting to find a proper manual. Not only that the physical manual is missing, but also an important information. If any of the assisting blocks appears (after you die more than 5 times in a row) and you save the game afterwards, you can't finish the game with the "shiny stars" achievement.

To sum things up, I highly recommend this game and apart from the problems mentioned above, I think it is one of the best 3ds games released so far.
  88. Apr 23, 2013
    I'm going to make what many would brand a controversial statement, but here it is anyway; Super Mario 3D Land is the best handheld game ever made! And please know that I am not some gushing Nintendoist fanboy. My personal handheld weapon of choice is my PS Vita, but it's first-party masterpieces like this that stop me from ever chopping my XL in.

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly smashes) expectations in every single department: gameplay, graphics, animation, use of 3D, soundtrack, controls, content, level design, difficulty, variety... the list goes on and on. And on. There's even a surprise or two along the way!

I've so far ploughed more than fifty hours into this deeply accomplished and wonderfully nuanced 3D platform adventure, and I enjoyed, nay loved, every single minute. I've completed everything, found every secret, and unlocked every level, and yet, I'm still far from done with my escapades in 3D Land. A year-and-half since it's release, I still regularly find myself picking it up for twenty minutes here and half an hour there. Sometimes longer.

I said at the top of this mini review, that Super Mario 3D Land is the finest handheld game of all-time, and it is, but having now given the matter further thought, it's much more than that. It's one of the best games of all time, period. If you've never really got into handheld gaming or you're yet to play this 3DS classic, I emplore you to give it a go. If ever there's a handheld game to truly blow your socks off, it's this one.
  89. Apr 10, 2013
    Great game with catching music, good graphics and best use of the 3D vision ever. However, the impressive number of 1-UP mushrooms given to you can make the hardcore Mario fans sad.
  90. Apr 5, 2013
    It's the last point a handheld platform game can come. It's really perfect in every aspect. I can't even imagine what will nintendo bring in their next handheld.
  91. Apr 4, 2013
    An outstanding platformer, vissually perfect with great level design.
    The 3D is the best so far on the handhelm, music is great and I found it quite challenging at the later levels.
    If you own a 3DS this is a must-title.
  92. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another Mario game I seem to realize it's always the same story Bow ser kidnaps Peach like always anyway the game itself:

the levels are really small and colourful if you played the Super Mario Galaxy's some of the levels are cop yed from that game and onto this game either re-edit or made up.

it's the same you plot through levels after levels collecting these ring like things to advance through more levels.

So basic ly it's the same as you would expect from Super Mario Galaxy just with newly power ups, it's a try game for the Mario fans.

Note note; can be a bit tab of short in game play!
  93. Mar 29, 2013
    Super Mario 3D Land is very enjoyable and fun. The graphics are stunning and the gameplay is awsome... The 3D looks very good too but isn't perfect....
  94. Mar 29, 2013
    Standard Mario fare here, ladies and gentlemen. Very fun on it's own right, but has nothing that would truly set it apart from other Mario games. If you don't mind the lack of innovation, 3D Land is definitely worth a buy.
  95. Mar 27, 2013
    This is no doubt WHY you should buy a 3DS, and is the best game on the system. Every aspect of the game is fun. Just makes me anxious for a Mario Sunshine sequel on the system.
  96. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is one of my favorite Mario games of all time. The graphics are great, the 3d effect is awesome, and the gameplay is incredible. This game delivers the best of 2d platformers and 3d platformers. Definitely one of the best games for available for the 3ds.
  97. Mar 14, 2013
    Mario's first adventure in the 3DS is a stunningly beautiful 3D platformer, featuring some of the most clever stages in the series' entire run and that is no small feat.

My few complaints have to do mostly with the way the game is structured. This was the perfect opportunity for us to get a non-linear, open-world original Mario adventure in handheld form (think Super Mario 64). Instead, we get the classic stage lineup, divided into worlds, which makes the stages seem more self-contained than they needed to.

Still, the action is excellent, even thrilling at times, and Nintendo again shows us that spotless gameplay and the ever endearing main character of Mario are enough to make the lack of storyline not matter one bit.
  98. Mar 11, 2013
    reat game. The 3D effect is more than eye candy here. It actually is useful to judge distances and gives a necessary depth to this platformer. There is a vast amount of content here between the main and bonus levels. A must have for all 3DS owners and those who are on the fence about owning the system.
  99. Mar 8, 2013
    This game is good, and i enjoyed it til the end (The second one). But, again, it's the same Mario experience I've seen on all Mario games since the old Super Mario Bros. for the NES, the only difference is the 3D, which, by the way, is more like a window behind the screen. Nothing pops out of the console. And since it's more of the same stuff, i'm getting tired of Mario games.
  100. Feb 21, 2013
    I was ridiculously excited for this game, even though I was disappointed to learn it would not be an open world Mario game. The 3D is amazing, and the visuals in general are extremely well done. The levels are fairly easy for the main game, and the plot is the typical Mario one. But the creativeness put into the game and the extra worlds made the game worth it for me. Some levels wereI was ridiculously excited for this game, even though I was disappointed to learn it would not be an open world Mario game. The 3D is amazing, and the visuals in general are extremely well done. The levels are fairly easy for the main game, and the plot is the typical Mario one. But the creativeness put into the game and the extra worlds made the game worth it for me. Some levels were ridiculously challenging, even frustrating, but the feeling of satisfaction after completing them was priceless. Albeit some extra levels felt like repeats with shadow Mario added, it took me about 25 hours to completely accomplish everything in the game. Streetpass was interesting but nothing special. The final battle with Bowser was one of the best I've ever played too! And the final bonus stage is incredible as well. A must-have. Expand

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Mario is back! In a classic Mario-fashion you jump your way througheight worlds, where you battle goombas, koopas and the main meaniehimself, Bowser. This game is never particularly difficult, butgradually advanced to a challenge that feels just perfect. Fun, varied and guaranteed to make you smile.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012
    Lifesaver for all Nintendo 3DS owners. Super Mario 3D Land delivers flawless design and perfect use of 3D effects during the whole game. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 11, 2012
    The Nintendo 3DS has had a slow start, but I feel this marks one of the first important games to come out on this system. I can't say it's a must buy, but is really close for those who have already picked up a 3DS. The amount of content in this game along with the varying degree of gameplay makes this one of the best Mario games I've played in a while.