8.3

1. Nov 17, 2011
    Some interesting facts: while 3D Mario games are always critically acclaimed, they only sold around 5-7 million copies in comparison to the latest 2D Marios (New Super Mario Wii including) which sold around 20 million copies and above! Super Mario 3D Land is an attempt to bridge this gap, getting new users to buy into Mario's 3D world. Like Mario Kart Wii before it, purists criedSome interesting facts: while 3D Mario games are always critically acclaimed, they only sold around 5-7 million copies in comparison to the latest 2D Marios (New Super Mario Wii including) which sold around 20 million copies and above! Super Mario 3D Land is an attempt to bridge this gap, getting new users to buy into Mario's 3D world. Like Mario Kart Wii before it, purists cried foul...It's too easy, etc etc.. Nevertheless, I feel that by making the levels shorter, it makes for a more addictive experience. Yes, Mario Galaxy 2 is the pinnacle of Mario gaming...but it is also super hard. Mario 3DLand hits the sweet spot in this instance and still contains some of the best platforming in the business! Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2011
    Very enjoyable and one of the best reasons to a 3DS, everyone needs to own this game. The 3D in the game is by far the best 3D done on the system so far and it really shows what the system can do with a good 3D game. The levels are enjoyable as well as plentiful and it'll keep your attention for days. If you own the 3DS, then you most likely already own this game since it's probably theVery enjoyable and one of the best reasons to a 3DS, everyone needs to own this game. The 3D in the game is by far the best 3D done on the system so far and it really shows what the system can do with a good 3D game. The levels are enjoyable as well as plentiful and it'll keep your attention for days. If you own the 3DS, then you most likely already own this game since it's probably the best original game to date. For others, this is the game that'll show off the true 3D capability the system can offer, unlike 90% of the rest of the games out there. Buy this game if you haven't already and you'll love it to death. Expand
  3. Jul 9, 2014
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9.0/10 • Story: 6/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements +Great Variety in Level design
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Total Score: 90/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements
    +Great Variety in Level design and Difficulty
    +Play as Mario (and Luigi later on)
    +A lot of elements from previous Mario games such as the NES series
    +Great Sound and Music work
    +Well designed visuals

Cons
    -Some notable characters were missing such as Yoshi and the Koopa Kids
    -2nd half of game is mainly a rehash of the first half with a few differences but nothing too noticeable
  4. Feb 3, 2012
    This is the best game on the 3DS yet. The gameplay is genius as normal, the graphics will put a very big grin on your face and the music is superb. However, this is not the best Mario game (3rd best in my opinion) due to one problem it has: It's easy. It's easy to do the main game, very easy (there is no real challenge until World 6) and you will probably have over 100 lives by the timeThis is the best game on the 3DS yet. The gameplay is genius as normal, the graphics will put a very big grin on your face and the music is superb. However, this is not the best Mario game (3rd best in my opinion) due to one problem it has: It's easy. It's easy to do the main game, very easy (there is no real challenge until World 6) and you will probably have over 100 lives by the time world 8 rolls along. But, the difficulty is the game's only fault, it's level design is fantastic, maybe the best I've ever seen! It just falls short of the two Galaxy games due to it's easiness (did all 8 worlds in under 6 hours), but it does double in length when you complete it, which is fantastic. Every 3DS owner needs this game, else their collection will never be complete. Expand
  5. Mar 24, 2012
    Super Mario 3D land is really, really good, with impressive graphics, longevity, fun game-play, catchy music and amazing 3D, it's possibly the best game on the 3DS.
  6. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I very much enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, it was very fun. I really liked the formula they introduced in this game, it was creative because it combined elements from both the 2d Mario games and the 3d Mario games; Think Super Mario Bros. 3 combined with New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy. It was very enjoyable in this style, however I think this is unfortunately one of the easiest Mario games out there, luckily the levels the bonus worlds are harder, but I kind of wish we had more of a challenge in the regular levels. Super Mario 3D Land is very fun and very enjoyable, it's a must have for the 3DS and I can't wait to play it' sequel, Super Mario 3D World, once I get myself a Wii U. Expand
  7. Jan 8, 2014
    One of the best games on the 3DS hands down. 3D Land has so far the best visuals on the 3DS, the game looks that impressive. Great level design, great music, a fun climax. This is pretty much what a 3D Mario game should be on a handheld.
  8. Apr 23, 2013
    I'm going to make what many would brand a controversial statement, but here it is anyway; Super Mario 3D Land is the best handheld game ever made! And please know that I am not some gushing Nintendoist fanboy. My personal handheld weapon of choice is my PS Vita, but it's first-party masterpieces like this that stop me from ever chopping my XL in.

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly smashes) expectations in every single department: gameplay, graphics, animation, use of 3D, soundtrack, controls, content, level design, difficulty, variety... the list goes on and on. And on. There's even a surprise or two along the way!

I've so far ploughed more than fifty hours into this deeply accomplished and wonderfully nuanced 3D platform adventure, and I enjoyed, nay loved, every single minute. I've completed everything, found every secret, and unlocked every level, and yet, I'm still far from done with my escapades in 3D Land. A year-and-half since it's release, I still regularly find myself picking it up for twenty minutes here and half an hour there. Sometimes longer.

I said at the top of this mini review, that Super Mario 3D Land is the finest handheld game of all-time, and it is, but having now given the matter further thought, it's much more than that. It's one of the best games of all time, period. If you've never really got into handheld gaming or you're yet to play this 3DS classic, I emplore you to give it a go. If ever there's a handheld game to truly blow your socks off, it's this one.
  9. Nov 29, 2012
    When Mario 64 came out I thought it was cool, but I struggled to get into the game, so when I heard about this game I was wary of it at first. I picked up the game so I would have something to tackle over the Christmas holidays. I'm glad I did because I found the game thoroughly enjoyable. Nintendo did a great job making a 3D Mario feel like the 2D world (in a good way) I found theWhen Mario 64 came out I thought it was cool, but I struggled to get into the game, so when I heard about this game I was wary of it at first. I picked up the game so I would have something to tackle over the Christmas holidays. I'm glad I did because I found the game thoroughly enjoyable. Nintendo did a great job making a 3D Mario feel like the 2D world (in a good way) I found the missions challenging but never frustratingly difficult. The one time I was struggling after dying 10 times or so the game started me off with a powerup to give me a boost. I think this is a must own game for the 3DS system. Expand
  10. Nov 26, 2011
    No one does pure unbridled gameplay like Nintendo. I'd rank this the second best Mario game in recent years (behind Galaxy 2 but just ahead of Galaxy). Tapping on great Mario entries from the past such as Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and the Galaxy games, 3D Land is both a reverential treatment of classic gameplay and a wonderfully refreshing portable title. The fact that it's theNo one does pure unbridled gameplay like Nintendo. I'd rank this the second best Mario game in recent years (behind Galaxy 2 but just ahead of Galaxy). Tapping on great Mario entries from the past such as Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and the Galaxy games, 3D Land is both a reverential treatment of classic gameplay and a wonderfully refreshing portable title. The fact that it's the strongest showcase of the system's 3D capabilities makes this an absolutely essential purchase. Expand
  11. Aug 7, 2013
    La salvación de Nintendo 3DS fue este juego, y debo admitir, fue el mejor juego (sin incluir remakes) de Nintendo 3DS durante todo un año y para ser un juego portátil, ofrece mucho y es de muy buena calidad, se ambienta en un mundo enorme y une perfectamente la escencia de los Mario 3D y los Mario 2D.
  12. Feb 13, 2015
    Best handheld game ever! This game is awesome. The graphics are great. The level designs are well done. The special worlds are fun. The controls are perfect. Super Mario 3D Land is an amazing game and it is a must buy for 3DS owners.
  13. Feb 19, 2015
    The first ever 3DS game I got back in 2011, this is one of the BEST Mario games out there. The special worlds are fun, but some levels are hard as hell. I just friggin loved the 3D Graphics and I totally recommend you buy this game.To me, I treated this game as a sequal to Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 because I beat those 2 games 100%. This game is a must have even if you are a casual gamer. TheThe first ever 3DS game I got back in 2011, this is one of the BEST Mario games out there. The special worlds are fun, but some levels are hard as hell. I just friggin loved the 3D Graphics and I totally recommend you buy this game.To me, I treated this game as a sequal to Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 because I beat those 2 games 100%. This game is a must have even if you are a casual gamer. The best handheld game that is Mario 3D. Expand
  14. Dec 5, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land. Can it keep up with Galaxy? Not quite, but it's not far short. The courses are designed amazingly well, and many are far better even than the genius design behind the Galaxy games. There are many new suits as well, including Tanooki, Boomerang, Fire and the Block suit. All are well used to brilliant effect, although the Tanooki suit does feel very overused, whichSuper Mario 3D Land. Can it keep up with Galaxy? Not quite, but it's not far short. The courses are designed amazingly well, and many are far better even than the genius design behind the Galaxy games. There are many new suits as well, including Tanooki, Boomerang, Fire and the Block suit. All are well used to brilliant effect, although the Tanooki suit does feel very overused, which sometimes unfortunately allows you to glide on by past some of the greatest Mario courses ever designed. The colours are vibrant, and the 3D is used really well. There's even 2 different types to choose from, one set deep into the screen, another further out. The game includes 16 world each containing 5 levels, and is therefore fairly lengthy. I have played 18 hours and have finished all worlds, however, I still have a few worlds to achieve all star coins on. If your quickly breezing through the game, it will take you 6 hours to complete each level. If you appreciate 3D Land's inner beauty, it should take you 20 hours. The music is very catchy and you'll find yourself humming along, but it can't compare to Galaxy. Something that can compare to Galaxy however, are the graphics. As beautiful - if not more at times - as any of Galaxy's levels, it's a compressed wonderland of vibrant colour and joy. Overall, 3D Land is an essential for 3DS, but if you've got a decision on your hands between 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, it goes to 7 for the longevity and extra polish. Still, a great game and a great Christmas present. Expand
  15. Nov 25, 2011
    This game is not the best Mario ever, for me it falls short of the stellar Galaxy games. However, it is still proper Mario action with many nods to the classic formula with plenty of new ideas and the 3D effect is wonderfully utilised. What's definate is that this is the best game on the 3DS, that is until Mario Kart comes. For now, this will satisfy everyone's Mario's needs. I do wishThis game is not the best Mario ever, for me it falls short of the stellar Galaxy games. However, it is still proper Mario action with many nods to the classic formula with plenty of new ideas and the 3D effect is wonderfully utilised. What's definate is that this is the best game on the 3DS, that is until Mario Kart comes. For now, this will satisfy everyone's Mario's needs. I do wish this game were harder though..... Expand
  16. Nov 13, 2011
    This is one of my new favorite 3DS games it uses all the 3D technology and it is worth 40 bucks on release.Tho it is slow in the beginning and then picks up. I still would not rate this game low it is a must have if you own a 3DS. Especially for the holidays it is a great gift.
  17. Nov 24, 2011
    Nintendo wanted some money. This game lacks in evry department especially difficulty. What a waste of money. Dont end up like me please. Save yourselves and your money from this game!
  18. Mar 11, 2013
    reat game. The 3D effect is more than eye candy here. It actually is useful to judge distances and gives a necessary depth to this platformer. There is a vast amount of content here between the main and bonus levels. A must have for all 3DS owners and those who are on the fence about owning the system.
  19. Dec 25, 2011
    This is one of the best games to purchase on the 3DS. Truly a must have. Delivering the best 3D experience on the system and a timeless formula of game play that breathes replay value.
  20. Aug 16, 2013
    Easily one of the best Mario games ever and my favorite 3DS game (it's like Super Mario Galaxy mixed with New Super Mario Bros.) if you own a 3DS do yourself a favor and buy it trust me you won't be disappointed.
  21. Nov 16, 2013
    This is the most perfect... thing to come out of Nintendo's unoriginal mind. If you got this packaged with the red 3DS, good for you, that was the wisest purchase of your life. Though, yes there is little new power-ups, that doesn't stop this game from exploding your thumbs from not having an awesomeness shield. I would write more, if i wasn't too lazy.
  22. Jul 13, 2013
    This game goes under the heading of essential 3DS games to own and play. It's fantastic fun and there is a ton of things to unlock and hunting down 3 stars for every level will take a good while. The later levels are devilish, of course you have a bajillion lives but they are quite tricky. If you don't come away from the very last level cursing toads everywhere you are a super human my friend.
  23. Nov 24, 2011
    Easily the finest game the 3DS has to offer and the finest piece of hand held gaming ever made. The level design in this game is awesome and some of the visuals are breathtaking. Unlike some games where I found having the 3D on all the time was a strain on my eyes, this game uses the 3D visuals perfectly and I've never felt the need to turn them off. This is the first game that trulyEasily the finest game the 3DS has to offer and the finest piece of hand held gaming ever made. The level design in this game is awesome and some of the visuals are breathtaking. Unlike some games where I found having the 3D on all the time was a strain on my eyes, this game uses the 3D visuals perfectly and I've never felt the need to turn them off. This is the first game that truly uses the 3D as part of the gameplay, adding depth to puzzles and jumps.

The game gets some criticism for being fairly short but I'd assume these critics haven't played the game fully, as once you've rescued the princess in the first 8 worlds (takes about 6 hours) you can then go on to rescue Luigi in a further 8 Worlds which are much more challenging. To do all the levels and collect all the stars it'll take you about 15-20 hours, which is about the same as what it takes to finish the legendary Ocarina of Time. So there's nothing short or simple about this game.
  24. May 13, 2014
    I haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole newI haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole new world (literally :P) to explore, the 3D graphics are awesome. But I found this game to be very challenging it's not a bad thing just surprising so be ready for a challenge. And the replayability is good, after you finish a stage there is always something I missed (time clock) and it's fun to collect more coins and go through the same stage and find secrets and the rest of the tokens.

I highly recommend Super Mario 3D Land.
  25. Oct 25, 2014
    Alright, is not super mario galaxy but it doesnt needs to be, this game shines by itself. While we wait for the next mario masterpiece how about a little masterwork by the geniuses at nintendo?
    Never dissapoints, my only complain is that the game is TOO EASY. Remember galaxy had harder extra levels had added punch to us older players.
    You cannot go wrong with mario, this one has the
    You cannot go wrong with mario, this one has the tight controls, great soundtrack, amazing original levels that you expect from the franchise.
  26. Nov 28, 2011
    I just bought a 3DS this weekend and it was the Mario 3DS bundle, so naturally I was hoping that the game that the system came with would be really good, and it's tremendous. Of course, it's a Mario game and if you come in expecting anything different, then of course you may get bored with the game and you may not like it. But for those who know what every Mario game entails, then you'reI just bought a 3DS this weekend and it was the Mario 3DS bundle, so naturally I was hoping that the game that the system came with would be really good, and it's tremendous. Of course, it's a Mario game and if you come in expecting anything different, then of course you may get bored with the game and you may not like it. But for those who know what every Mario game entails, then you're going to absolutely love it. The 3D effects are pretty cool, giving you a couple of different perspectives of how 3D can be used. The game isn't all that difficult, but has any Mario game really been all too challenging? You'll still end up dying over petty things, falling off the level or accidentally jumping into a pit of fire but the game isn't too rough. Expand
  27. Jun 24, 2014
    So much fun! So much nostalgia. Looks great and loaded with charm and challenge. StreetPass features are pretty worthless, but otherwise a great experience overall. Easily a must-own 3DS title.
  28. Aug 4, 2013
    The first game for the 3DS to really make the 3D essential.

Really good graphics with great gameplay and feel of 3D Mario Games. There is not a lot of bad things to say about this game. In general everything is great. It can be frustrating at times, but just like with the majority of Mario games, it gets frustrating because of you, not because of the game. Fortunately, or maybe in
    The first game for the 3DS to really make the 3D essential.

Really good graphics with great gameplay and feel of 3D Mario Games.

Fortunately, or maybe in this case unfortunately, the instances where it gets frustrating are not very many because this is a very easy game. Some of the stages later on can get a bit tougher, but even with extra content unlocked, this game lasted me about 22 hours.

+ Great visuals and 3D
    + Fun Gameplay
    + Easy to play on the go
    + Classic Mario greatness

- Very short game

Despite the game being short, this is still a 10 using this rating system.

A MUST HAVE for every 3DS owner.
  29. Apr 10, 2014
    Always been a bit skeptical when it comes to 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 is a game that I honestly never totally enjoyed, Super Mario Sunshine was a pain, but the galaxy series was fun but a bit long for my liking Super Mario 3D Land however is a very enjoyable, the level design is superb for every level, & I love the music, one thing that could have been improved is the control, it'sAlways been a bit skeptical when it comes to 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 is a game that I honestly never totally enjoyed, Super Mario Sunshine was a pain, but the galaxy series was fun but a bit long for my liking Super Mario 3D Land however is a very enjoyable, the level design is superb for every level, & I love the music, one thing that could have been improved is the control, it's not as bad as say Sonic 06, uhh, but the game has sometimes annoying 8-way directional control that allows you to go in one & only one direction which is disappointing when using the circle pad, sometimes I'll push one direction, especially in 2D sections, but due to only being allowed to use the circle pad, I could find myself going in a different direction than I intended, causing me to fall from the platforms to the deep pits below, it's a nit-pick as this hardly ever happens to me, but on those few occasions it was irritating! Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2014
    This is the second 3d Mario game on a handheld, but it flows so much better than the Super Mario 64 DS. It plays so well and the fact that u can play as Green Mario makes it even better.
  31. Dec 17, 2011
    In my personal opinion, this is the best Mario land so far! The 3D world (both graphics and actual dimensions) are great! The level designers were very clever with hiding the star coins (i still find them pretty quickly, hehe). All in all, i'm impressed. I'm looking forward to a game like Mario World DS(the one where you go inside paintings) in this 3D format. My only complaint, and I amIn my personal opinion, this is the best Mario land so far! The 3D world (both graphics and actual dimensions) are great! The level designers were very clever with hiding the star coins (i still find them pretty quickly, hehe). All in all, i'm impressed. I'm looking forward to a game like Mario World DS(the one where you go inside paintings) in this 3D format. My only complaint, and I am only in world 4, so it might be there, but i haven't seen it, is that Yoshi isn't in the game... Otherwise, great! Expand
  32. Jul 18, 2012
    I've had a lot of fun with this title and surprised at how long it has lasted me given that I'm a big Mario fan and played every title to date. I thought as a handheld relatively smaller title, I might burn through it fairly fast but there is a lot more to it. You get a pretty decent array of challenges from seeking out the 3 star coins in each level, plus the alternate version of theI've had a lot of fun with this title and surprised at how long it has lasted me given that I'm a big Mario fan and played every title to date. I thought as a handheld relatively smaller title, I might burn through it fairly fast but there is a lot more to it. You get a pretty decent array of challenges from seeking out the 3 star coins in each level, plus the alternate version of the levels once you beat the original 8 worlds, plus beating all of it with both Mario & Luigi, and I forget what else is required just to unlock the last secret world on top of everything completed above. I'm still working on it and still enjoying it, just not as much as I did at first but it's holding up well against any of my newer games. I know I'll stick with it until I manage to unlock everything and I think it is my favorite Mario game to date. -1 point for originality though. I would love to see Nintendo come out with a new IP for a change to show off all these platformer variations they come up with on a regular basis, but it works and each Mario is still fun so it's a pretty minor complaint. Expand
  33. Nov 16, 2011
    (My actual score is a 9.5)
    (My actual score is a 9.5)
    Super Mario 3D Land is an amazing combination of New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy. Although it may seem easy, the levels are a whole lot of fun, and I couldn't just put this game down! Not to mention the game gets wayyyy harder after you save Princess Peach....It utilizes the 3DS's gyroscope and 3D controls/effect very well, and the levels are shorter so you can play it almost any time. A must have for any 3DS owner and Mario fan!
  34. Aug 22, 2013
    I must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as MarioI must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as Mario veterans. After many deaths the character has the option to get an invincibility suit, which allows enemies to be taken down with ease. If you continue to fail, the game developers allow you to skip to the goal post without any work (known as the P wing). However, to get the full spoils of the level you will have to play at a later date again. Like I said, the game is a masterpiece. It is a must own for any 3DS owner. Expand
  35. Nov 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a perfect Mario game but I think it is close. It has issues of being to easy at times but makes up for that by adding extra worlds. I like the graphical style a lot and it looks great in 3D and on the 3DS. I like the power ups even if there are too few in my mind, but they choose some really good ones. The game is really fun to play and the game adds an extra level of depth to a 2D Mario Platformer by setting it in a 3D world. I think that if you own a 3DS there is a lot a reasons why you should get this game. Expand
  36. Nov 13, 2011
    This game is everything I expected and more. I just beat the first 5 worlds and they were great. The graphics, first off, are downright stunning. I know it's only Mario, and the gameplay is way better than the graphics, but I must say, they are the best graphics on the system. The controls are also very good. I have almost no problem with the controls. Maybe once in awhile I fall off of aThis game is everything I expected and more. I just beat the first 5 worlds and they were great. The graphics, first off, are downright stunning. I know it's only Mario, and the gameplay is way better than the graphics, but I must say, they are the best graphics on the system. The controls are also very good. I have almost no problem with the controls. Maybe once in awhile I fall off of a ledge, but it's extremely insignificant. Nintendo is the best at making a game that fits a system perfectly. The 3D is also very good and pops but is a very important component of the experience. It helps with positioning tremendously. The levels are incredibly creative, the controls are nearly perfect and this game is the perfect hybrid of classic Mario and Mario 64. It's also like the perfect hybrid of super Mario 3 and super Mario galaxy. I'm in love with this game. Score: 9.5/10 but since we can only do integers, I gave it a 10. Expand
  37. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another Mario game I seem to realize it's always the same story Bow ser kidnaps Peach like always anyway the game itself:

the levels are really small and colourful if you played the Super Mario Galaxy's some of the levels are cop yed from that game and onto this game either re-edit or made up.

it's the same you plot through levels after levels collecting these ring like things to advance through more levels.

So basic ly it's the same as you would expect from Super Mario Galaxy just with newly power ups, it's a try game for the Mario fans.

Note note; can be a bit tab of short in game play!
  38. Apr 30, 2013
    This is best of the Mario 3DS games. It has really cool power-ups, awesome levels, cool adventures, really classic 3D and lots of secrets to find and shortcuts to skip through levels. That is why I rate it 10/10. You can get the cool photos from completing the worlds and put them in your photo app.
  39. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is a tremendous amount of fun! It has everything you want on a game.Great controls, visuals, character and sound.If you own a 3DS and you dont have it go running to your store and buy it
  40. Oct 3, 2014
    Hey, hey! Said what? I like this one! All models were from Super Mario Galaxy. 30 FPS is not problem. Truly fun, perfect 3D presentation as the first Nintendo 3DS game. No 3D Land, no 3DS.
  41. Mar 18, 2014
    Mario has definitely come a long way on handhelds, and this is proof of that. This game is the best handheld mario experience to date, and will hopefully get even better. The game has incredible level design only matched on the console versions of mario, such as Galaxy and 3D World.
    Pros; -Level design (It has the best level design on any handheld mario game, and is almost perfect)
    - Presentation (The game boasts very vivid and eye-pleasing colors, and the 3D is great)
    - Replay Value (This is a game that you will want to play many times while waiting for something, like the bus)
    Cons; - Difficulty (The game can be very easy once you get the jist of the game)
    - Content (It took me 28 hours to 100% the game, and has been done in much less time by others)
    Overall, the game is the best handheld mario game on the market, and it's almost obligatory to own this game. If you don't already have it, do yourself a favor and buy this unique handheld mario game that will hopefully pave the way for future mario releases.
  42. Oct 27, 2012
    Awesome! The best 3D, I've ever saw, and despite what some people says, it's really useful, so much that when you turn it off, it seems something is missing, and then you have to turn the 3D on again. Great game, i had more than 15 hours of fun, and i haven't collected all medals yet.
  43. Jul 25, 2013
    Wow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn'tWow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn't let it go anymore. The use of the 3DS's amazing 3D capabilities is simply exceptional. Level design is brilliant. Camera movements are virtually perfect. While the Mario sidescrollers have gotten old for me, this kind of title is a reminder Nintendo are still veterans of good level design and great game mechanics and can still manage a hit like is Super Mario 3D Land! Expand
  44. Jan 29, 2012
    Super Mario 3D Land has lovely graphics, fun gameplay, and a game definitely worth buying. The fact that this game was MEANT to be played in 3D further proves my point.
  45. Jan 25, 2013
    After feeling disappointed with Galaxy 2, 3D Land was exactly what I needed from Mario. The controls are tight, the visuals and music are beautiful, and on top of that it is probably one of the most extensive Mario games in years. With secret words the game features a whopping 16 worlds. Add on all the Star coins to collect, the time runs to beat, and classic Mario fun and you haveAfter feeling disappointed with Galaxy 2, 3D Land was exactly what I needed from Mario. The controls are tight, the visuals and music are beautiful, and on top of that it is probably one of the most extensive Mario games in years. With secret words the game features a whopping 16 worlds. Add on all the Star coins to collect, the time runs to beat, and classic Mario fun and you have yourself a great Nintendo experience. Expand
  46. Mar 28, 2012
    Super Mario 3D Land is Nintendo's best platformer yet. It perfectly blends 2D and 3D platforming. The result? Another Mario Masterpiece. What else can I say? Well, the graphics look great for a handheld, the music is catchy, and the level design is brilliant. If you own a 3DS, you must buy this game, period.
  47. Feb 27, 2012
    I can't stop playing this game. A perfect platform game for the first real Mario game for the 3DS. Nintendo knows how to make incredible use of the 3D and have created a genuine must have for the new system. This game is why you need a 3DS.
  48. Apr 30, 2012
    Having played Mario games for 28 years now, I have jumped on a few Goombas and kicked a few shells. That being said, I found 3D land to be one of my favourites of all time. Yes, it's a cut down version of Galaxy, but hey, it's on a handheld. Excellent menu for quickly jumping in and playing any level you feel like, great outfits/abilities. The game is quite tricky at times but neverHaving played Mario games for 28 years now, I have jumped on a few Goombas and kicked a few shells. That being said, I found 3D land to be one of my favourites of all time. Yes, it's a cut down version of Galaxy, but hey, it's on a handheld. Excellent menu for quickly jumping in and playing any level you feel like, great outfits/abilities. The game is quite tricky at times but never punishes you to a point where you want to stop playing. If you are having trouble it even assists with some very special items so even casual gamers can get a lot of joy. I finished the first play through with 112 lives remaining, but the fun doesn't stop with rescuing Peach. Plenty of replay value for those with the time. Solid 10 Expand
  49. Jul 4, 2012
    after about 15 hours of play and still a few more stages to finish off with the 2nd character just cleaning up I'm still amazed by just how good this game is, really just such a beautiful looking and handling game, it's just funny to hear people crying about rehashs when this game sets itself apart from every other game in the series outside of the obvious, you are playing as mario and aafter about 15 hours of play and still a few more stages to finish off with the 2nd character just cleaning up I'm still amazed by just how good this game is, really just such a beautiful looking and handling game, it's just funny to hear people crying about rehashs when this game sets itself apart from every other game in the series outside of the obvious, you are playing as mario and a mushroom makes you grow aspects of it there is so much time put into making this the AAA mario title that every 3ds owner should pick up, and you can happily disregard the 36 negative reviews on here from such people as "nintedohater" "mariosucks" and "nintendohasgamesbutmyvitadoesn'twahhhhhhhhhhhhhh" because yeah, they're all just angrily written by people enraged that nintendo has struck gold yet again, both gameplay wise and the fact that their fans are willing to pay for the amazing games they produce. Expand
  50. Nov 13, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land delivers a awesome 3D experience with great game play we expect from Mario. Everything is top notch for a portable experience and I can't put it down. I can't give it a 9.7 on here, so it's rounded up to 10. Buy it!
  51. Nov 13, 2011
    Another outstanding mario game! If you like Mario 64, Galaxy 1, or Galaxy 2...I think you'll enjoy this game too. The gameplay is fun and crazy (I about pooped my pants when I first saw Bowser with a tanooki tail!). The 3D actually looks very good in this game, for once I found myself playing with it on more than off.
  52. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. after all of these years most mario games on handhelds have been in 2D sidescroling. but then nintendo ended this streak with super mario 3D land on the 3DS. The first original 3D super mario game on a handheld console. The game looks great in graphics, the 3D effect sometimes helps you play the game, everything just feels better with the 3D on. the gameplay is like a mixture of super mario 64, super mario galaxy, and new super mario bros, it's a 3D mario game that plays like a 2D mario game, so you walk through levels like super mario 64 or galaxy and end the level by touching the flagpole, no looking for shine sprites or power stars to finish the level, nope you just touch the flagpole, I really like this blend of gameplay and think that it really works well. This game also brings back the tanooki suit from super mario bros 3, and I really like that they brought a classic power up into a 3D world. the 3D effect has two levels, pop out 3D where the images look like they're popping off the screen, and depth 3D the images look like you're looking at them from a window. the 3D helps you with the game because there are some puzzles that can only be solved if the 3D effect is on, the illusions like a bunch of boxes and one box is far away but looks like it's with all of the other boxes. These illusions were very cool and it really made the game a lot better. just like the other mario games, the story is simple, Princess peach has been kidnapped by bowser and mario has to save her. There are 8 worlds and 8 special worlds that get unlocked after completing the main game. you also can hunt down star coins which are hidden in levels to unlock more levels in the special worlds, this adds a lot of replay value to the game. the star coins aren't just used to unlock levels in the special worlds, they also unlock castles in world 5 and world 8. by the way, let's talk about the bosses, in castles world 5 and 8 you fight bowser, and the rest of the worlds have starships just like super mario bros 3, and the boss of the starships is some guy who just spins around untill he gets dizzy. all in all this is a great mario game and is a must have for all 3DS owners, it's not as good as good as the super mario galaxy games but it's pretty close. Expand
  53. Nov 27, 2013
    A nice first experience for Mario's first dive into the latest handheld. The gameplay is unique and fun, the 3D works wonders, and the atmosphere is very Mario-like.
  54. Dec 11, 2012
    Having just 100% completed this game I can say with confidence it is one of the greatest Mario games ever made and the best handheld game available on the market. It is both a homage to the old and the new, an amalgamation of 25 years of Mario and a beautifully responsive game that delivers both to new and old players.

The game starts off incredibly easy and becomes gradually more

The game starts off incredibly easy and becomes gradually more difficult, the special worlds for example are a challenge to complete and I've been playing Mario for 20 years and I found some of them challenging. Attaining the fabled "5 star save file" is a challenge in itself and I achieved this last night.

Oh and the game is in 3D or something but I don't care about that.
  55. Jun 9, 2014
    When it comes to platform games Nintendo really know what they are doing and Super Mario 3D Land is a worthy addition to the Mario franchise. Gorgeous graphics,great music, well thought out level design, and a simple but effective control system.
    While it's not my favourite 3ds game I can certainly understand that it would be a favourite game for many.
    9/10.
  56. Mar 27, 2013
    This is no doubt WHY you should buy a 3DS, and is the best game on the system. Every aspect of the game is fun. Just makes me anxious for a Mario Sunshine sequel on the system.
  57. Feb 6, 2012
    Super Mario 3d land shows how 3d is supposed to be used on the 3ds, its easy at first but it gets harder as the game goes on, its a fun and enjoyable and a must have for the 3ds
  58. May 29, 2012
    Without a doubt the best 3D single-player Mario game there is as of yet (3D as in not 2D [Super Mario Bros. 3, for example, is what I mean with 2D and Super Mario 64 is 3D]). It's perfect for anyone who's enjoyed any previous Super Mario games.
  59. Jan 4, 2014
    This game is one of the best games out there for the 3DS, hands down. Although there is a bit of a problem with the level-skipping Invincibility Leaf, it can easily be overlooked you can continue to play the game without having to resort to it. Difficulty aside, I would really recommend this game for anyone who enjoys a good platformer.
  60. Nov 20, 2011
    By far the best handheld game ever made, it's almost as good as Galaxy 2 and has 16 worlds to beat and every minute is fun, I don't want it to end. Graphics in 3D are incredible and the first game to actually make 3D worthwhile on any system. Buy it!
  61. May 24, 2014
    This is why I have a 3ds this why I love Mario great graphics great design I give this a ten and love how great this is and how detailed this is get this Now
  62. Aug 14, 2014
    It's like.. Mario's blessings on the new console.
    Thanks Mario for staying true to your fans and being the greatest platform character ever.
    the game is simply beautiful.
  63. Nov 26, 2011
    Mario 3d land is an amzaing game and missing out on it is a huge mistake because its packed full of adventure or fun. The game works great 3d effects are used great, good gyroscope, streetpass, and tons of extra contenet mixed with new materil it might not be a galaxy but it comes very close for just a little portible.
  64. Apr 12, 2012
    This game is pretty much flawless except for the tanooki suit being totally overpowered. Without the suit, some stages are actually really hard. People complaining that this game is too easy are the same people who keep going back to World 1-1 to stock up on tanooki suits after every stage. This is probably my favorite Mario game, its the perfect cross over of new and old.
  65. Mar 7, 2012
    The Absolute best Mario I have played in years and the best platformer at that. The begining levels are easy enouph to let you get the hang of it, but is easily made up for by the challenge of the special levels, the graphics look very well and polished like Nintendo quality
    Great game everyone should own
  66. Nov 20, 2011
    Finally a game all 3DS owners have been waiting for. Anyone who owns a 3DS and enjoys platformers even in the slightest should buy this. Super Mario 3D starts off as fun, and even a bit too easy, but after a few surprises later on in the game you'll find yourself white knuckled trying to get few it's more than many surprises. The 3D capabilities of the 3DS are finally being used for goodFinally a game all 3DS owners have been waiting for. Anyone who owns a 3DS and enjoys platformers even in the slightest should buy this. Super Mario 3D starts off as fun, and even a bit too easy, but after a few surprises later on in the game you'll find yourself white knuckled trying to get few it's more than many surprises. The 3D capabilities of the 3DS are finally being used for good and not just as icing on a cake to make it something look pretty - though, it still ends up looking great, so that's just a win-win for Nintendo! All the in game "shout outs" to many of the previous Mario franchise installments are well places and really make this game stand out. I'll go so far as to say that this is probably one of my top 3 Mario games. It's just great. I've been playing the game non-stop for a week since I've purchased it and I am still plowing through it's secrets, trying to get all the coins, etc etc. It's fun, bright and visually pleasing, sound is awesome, there is a ton of replay-ability. Expand
  67. Dec 13, 2014
    A joyful romp, even though the difficulty doesn't ramp up until the special worlds come around. Expect all from it that you would any console 3D Mario release, but be ready to have to step things up a notch once you beat the main game.
  68. Dec 26, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land is the ultimate 3DS experience. The 8 worlds will easily be completed in 8 hours, but there is enough extra content and challenges to keep you busy for many, many hours. This is the first game to use 3D as an integral part of the gameplay, and it looks great. My only problem with the game is its difficulty. Any player, casual and intense, will be able to complete theSuper Mario 3D Land is the ultimate 3DS experience. The 8 worlds will easily be completed in 8 hours, but there is enough extra content and challenges to keep you busy for many, many hours. This is the first game to use 3D as an integral part of the gameplay, and it looks great. My only problem with the game is its difficulty. Any player, casual and intense, will be able to complete the game easily. The difficulty really only ramps up at the end, and it really doesn't compare to the last levels of New Super Mario Bros. DS. And when the game does get hard, some of the time, its because its difficult to perceive how far into the world you are, depth-wise. Its only difficult because the game makes it hard to traverse the world, not because of the normal obstacles and difficulties presented by Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64. That is my only quarrel with the game. Overall, Super Mario 3D Land is an incredible 3DS adventure, one that should've been a launch title for the system. Expand
  69. Sep 22, 2013
    excelente juego completamente en 3D, muy entretenido y adictivo, ademas es de bastante duracion porque cuando terminas el juego con Mario puedes jugar 8 mundos especiales con Luigi y son mucho mas dificiles, de los mejores juegos de Nintendo 3DS
  70. Feb 12, 2012
    A very great Mario platformer as always, sure, it was pretty easy but it was an excellent example of the power of the 3DS. And just when you think that the game is over there's a special world. If you think this game wasn't worth your buy, Just wait till you get to the best final boss in Platforming Mario history.
  71. Nov 17, 2011
    Great classic mario and remixed game play and music.got it this morning and can't stop playing it. Great graphics and use of 3d.easily the best game on the system get it now you won't be disappointed
  72. Jul 12, 2012
    Presentation in this game gets 9.5, Music is Beautiful, being the first Mario in 3DS sets game a standard in graphics like Nintendo always did, 3D effect was used nice, but for the most parts it was just to add more "colors", the "Real" 3D effect showing why it is needed is only used in some locations scattered throughout the levels, that is why I have taken out half. But Gameplay wasPresentation in this game gets 9.5, Music is Beautiful, being the first Mario in 3DS sets game a standard in graphics like Nintendo always did, 3D effect was used nice, but for the most parts it was just to add more "colors", the "Real" 3D effect showing why it is needed is only used in some locations scattered throughout the levels, that is why I have taken out half. But Gameplay was 10/10, It was a combination of classical Mario Bros. 2D platformers and Super Mario Galaxy's 3D platforming. There is no turning camera in this game but Nintendo put camera on most comfortable places so You won't ever lose yourself. If you haven's played this game or only on its first half (Those who completed the game will know what I mean) the story mode itself is easy, the real chalenge comes after. Expand
  73. Feb 21, 2013
    I was ridiculously excited for this game, even though I was disappointed to learn it would not be an open world Mario game. The 3D is amazing, and the visuals in general are extremely well done. The levels are fairly easy for the main game, and the plot is the typical Mario one. But the creativeness put into the game and the extra worlds made the game worth it for me. Some levels wereI was ridiculously excited for this game, even though I was disappointed to learn it would not be an open world Mario game. The 3D is amazing, and the visuals in general are extremely well done. The levels are fairly easy for the main game, and the plot is the typical Mario one. But the creativeness put into the game and the extra worlds made the game worth it for me. Some levels were ridiculously challenging, even frustrating, but the feeling of satisfaction after completing them was priceless. Albeit some extra levels felt like repeats with shadow Mario added, it took me about 25 hours to completely accomplish everything in the game. Streetpass was interesting but nothing special. The final battle with Bowser was one of the best I've ever played too! And the final bonus stage is incredible as well. A must-have. Expand
  74. Aug 3, 2014
    This IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!! How can humans be capable of such grand endeavors. They have to be wizards. With such flawless design and impeccable timing it's almost heavenly. A true god send. If you hate Mario games get it.
  75. Dec 22, 2014
    Took my several months to beat and I loved it all the way through. A MUST HAVE for the 3DS, it will keep you entertained for a long, long time. This game is amazing!
  76. Nov 13, 2011
    This game is extremely fun and enjoyable. Time flies when you play this. It just shows how incredible the Mario series is. These are beautiful graphics for the 3ds, and the 3d effects look stellar. This game may not be as innovative as the Super Mario Galaxy series, but it is just as fun. It should be noted that the game starts off easy and gets harder and harder. After world 8, theThis game is extremely fun and enjoyable. Time flies when you play this. It just shows how incredible the Mario series is. These are beautiful graphics for the 3ds, and the 3d effects look stellar. This game may not be as innovative as the Super Mario Galaxy series, but it is just as fun. It should be noted that the game starts off easy and gets harder and harder. After world 8, the true challenge begins with the remixed worlds. In short, this is easily the best game on the 3ds, along with the OoT remake. Get this NOW! Expand
  77. Nov 17, 2011
    14 negative reviews? It's one thing to have your head up your ass, but this is ridiculous. This game sure isn't up to par with the Galaxy series, but does that really matter? Of course not! What IS up to par with those games? For what it is, this game is perfectly desinged for a handheld, the level desing, the controls, the soundtrack all make a great experience. Sure, it takes a while for14 negative reviews? It's one thing to have your head up your ass, but this is ridiculous. This game sure isn't up to par with the Galaxy series, but does that really matter? Of course not! What IS up to par with those games? For what it is, this game is perfectly desinged for a handheld, the level desing, the controls, the soundtrack all make a great experience. Sure, it takes a while for the game to pick up, but once it does, the game truly shines.

If you played New Super Mario Bros. DS than you have NO reason to skip this game. Super Mario 3D Land blows all the previous platforming Mario-handhelds away.
  78. Dec 8, 2011
    I'm quite a fan of the unique perspectives presented in this game. You'll be looking at Mario from all sorts of different angles as you guide him through the Super Mario Bros. 3 meets Super Mario 64-style layout. A great game to just pick up and play. I do wish there was more originality besides the new powerups, but Mario is Mario, and you don't fix what isn't broken.
  79. Nov 21, 2011
    Out of Ocarina of Time, Mariokart, and Dead or Alive this game is a must have for the 3DS system. Everybody from my family from my son, brother, gf, and nephew keep having to fight over the 3ds to play the game. The levels are throwback and the 3d is amazing on here. It starts out easy and gets hard. If u buy it won't disappoint u. Plus the big serect at end of game wink wink.
  80. Feb 2, 2012
    Game is very good, the best level is 2-3, level makes a clin d-eye to the first Mario, Super Mario Bros. Game is certainly a bit easy, my styles of drawing sout too brilliant, and the costume of tanuki is a very good homage also to Mario.
  81. Nov 25, 2012
    Fantastic game. If you own a 3DS you have to have this game in your collection. Simple. The only negative is the first 5 or 6 worlds are far too easy, but the worlds you unlock later make up for it. Get This Game!!!
  82. Sep 13, 2013
    I love this game! I can't stop playing it. Mario is better than ever. Awesome 3D graphics,loads of levels,and best of all,endless fun. The new power-ups,like the Super Leaf and boomerang suit,are really awesome and helps a lot in this game. I wonder if there will be Super Mario 3D Land 2....
  83. Jul 21, 2013
    This game has a nice twist: A 3D platformer with 2D side-scrolling elements. It's a very enjoyable game, and I enjoy how they bring back the Tanooki suit after over 20 years of absence. Though it does get harder as it goes on (with a total of 16 worlds) I recommend it.
  84. Nov 20, 2011
    Insanely good. I just unlocked the last secret stage after getting all of the 5 stars in a week of playing the game. After I finish that stage, I'm still going to play this for years to come. Classic.
  85. Nov 20, 2011
    This is definitely one of the best Mario games I've ever played. Great controls, great levels, and filled to the brim with content. Watch my review for the lowdown!

86. Nov 20, 2011
    This game starts out a little slowly, with the first 4 worlds being nothing short of simple. But after the slow start, it becomes a great classic mario experience. I have loved my experience with the game so far, and the Special World levels are some of the most challenging Mario levels since Lost World. The 3D is used very well, and anyone playing with the 3D off is missing out on someThis game starts out a little slowly, with the first 4 worlds being nothing short of simple. But after the slow start, it becomes a great classic mario experience. I have loved my experience with the game so far, and the Special World levels are some of the most challenging Mario levels since Lost World. The 3D is used very well, and anyone playing with the 3D off is missing out on some very nice visuals that tie into the levels excellently.

This is the first 'original' 3DS title that matters, and is a MUST BUY if you own a 3DS system.
  87. Nov 16, 2011
    MARIOOOO!!!.,,m,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  88. Nov 22, 2011
    This is a great Mario game. Beautiful graphics really show off what the 3DS can do. The 3d is actually an organic part of the gameplay and not some tacked on gimmick. It takes the best of the old and new Marios and merges them into a great little package. If the 3DS can keep churning out games like this it should have no trouble turning itself around and becoming a huge success like the DSThis is a great Mario game. Beautiful graphics really show off what the 3DS can do. The 3d is actually an organic part of the gameplay and not some tacked on gimmick. It takes the best of the old and new Marios and merges them into a great little package. If the 3DS can keep churning out games like this it should have no trouble turning itself around and becoming a huge success like the DS before it. Expand
  89. Nov 26, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land is a Fun 3D Platformer That is a good reason to even buy a 3DS, 10 out of 10, 97.5% out of 100%, Good game,I recommend you pick this title up
  90. Jan 25, 2012
    It's a bit short, but ;putting in the effort to collect all 3 star coins on every level extends the playability greatly. Awesome fun Mario platformer.
  91. May 21, 2012
    Superb,superb,superb. This game is all nintendo fans could ask for. This game is the best 3DS game yet- and the New Super Mario Bros 2 is coming soon. That's a retro revival. Still, the return of the tanooki suit was legandary. (although lack of flying fully) Things I'm not happy about is the same levels in the special world with time limits and shadow marios and uncreative boss battlesSuperb,superb,superb. This game is all nintendo fans could ask for. This game is the best 3DS game yet- and the New Super Mario Bros 2 is coming soon. That's a retro revival. Still, the return of the tanooki suit was legandary. (although lack of flying fully) Things I'm not happy about is the same levels in the special world with time limits and shadow marios and uncreative boss battles that are simpily Boom Boom and Pom Pom a couple times. Thanks for coming back for more, Mario. Expand
  92. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is one of my favorite Mario games of all time. The graphics are great, the 3d effect is awesome, and the gameplay is incredible. This game delivers the best of 2d platformers and 3d platformers. Definitely one of the best games for available for the 3ds.
  93. Apr 4, 2013
    An outstanding platformer, vissually perfect with great level design.
    The 3D is the best so far on the handhelm, music is great and I found it quite challenging at the later levels.
    If you own a 3DS this is a must-title.
  94. Apr 5, 2013
    It's the last point a handheld platform game can come. It's really perfect in every aspect. I can't even imagine what will nintendo bring in their next handheld.
  95. Nov 15, 2011
    I'll come right out and say that Super Mario 3D Land is the best 3DS game out there right now, excluding remakes. It does what it says it does: takes a little bit of old and adds a little bit of new. The first few worlds are pretty trivial and it is clear that this game is made for kids, however anyone can have fun with this game. The game picks up around world 4, not only getting moreI'll come right out and say that Super Mario 3D Land is the best 3DS game out there right now, excluding remakes. It does what it says it does: takes a little bit of old and adds a little bit of new. The first few worlds are pretty trivial and it is clear that this game is made for kids, however anyone can have fun with this game. The game picks up around world 4, not only getting more challenging, but also more fun and interesting. It really makes use of the 3D and playing with it off would be doing yourself a disservice. Some levels use a top down angle so when you jump you come flying out of the screen or go plummeting away, other angles strictly stick to the old style side scrolling, but most of the time you have a sort of hybrid going on. You mostly progress left to right, but you can go front to back and that adds alot of challenge and complexity to how the levels are designed. Like i said, around world 4 it gets more interesting, each level having a sort of theme or game element to it that makes it a lot of fun to play and the final level usually combining those elements. For instance, there is a level heavily based on the concept that when you press a switch, a temporary pathway unfolds or another one where your path is hidden until you get closer (a boo haunted house every fan will enjoy), and others focus more on items, such as the tanooki suit, the ever so fun boomerang suit, ect ect
    As i said, the game is pretty easy to beat, but like most nintendo games, the challenge lies in 100% completion: collecting all the star coins. What makes the game easy is the abundance of coins, items, and 1 ups. Barely even trying, i racked up 30 lives and have only lost about 5 so far, compared to Donkey Kong Country Returns where i was struggling to get through some levels. The game also has alot of bonus levels which, while fun, make the experience too easy, but everyone can have fun with this.
  96. Dec 26, 2011
    One of the best portable Mario games, if not the best. Gameplay takes its style from the Mario Galaxy series minus the spherical physics. Graphics are not mind-blowing but are good. 3D effect is handled well, and not overwhelming, nor does it force you to use it. Old powerups are welcomed by fans. Level design can be frustrating at times. Camera sometimes has a mind of its own.One of the best portable Mario games, if not the best. Gameplay takes its style from the Mario Galaxy series minus the spherical physics. Graphics are not mind-blowing but are good. 3D effect is handled well, and not overwhelming, nor does it force you to use it. Old powerups are welcomed by fans. Level design can be frustrating at times. Camera sometimes has a mind of its own. Overall, a recommendation to any 3DS owner. Expand
  97. Nov 22, 2011
    There is just something about creative level design and silky smooth controls that always makes me smile. This is the best original game on the 3DS so far and a near-perfect portable gaming experience. It doesn't quite reach the brilliance of the Super Mario Galaxy games, but when your biggest complaint about a game is that it isn't quite as good as two of the greatest games everThere is just something about creative level design and silky smooth controls that always makes me smile. This is the best original game on the 3DS so far and a near-perfect portable gaming experience. It doesn't quite reach the brilliance of the Super Mario Galaxy games, but when your biggest complaint about a game is that it isn't quite as good as two of the greatest games ever made...then that really isn't much of a complaint, now is it? Expand
  98. Nov 21, 2011
    Great game .The 3d effect is amazing. Lots of content. And the graphics are VERY nice, some of the best on the system. I really enjoyed having the tanooki suit again, and the music is wonderful. Really no complaints here, would have liked some mini games, thats about it.
  99. Dec 1, 2011
    This game is truly amazing. It allows for much easier gameplay for younger kids and more challenging levels for older. And I love the Tanooki Suit and other power-ups. Nintendo really outdid itself, just like they did with the Super Mario Galaxy's, Sunshine, and others alike. My only problem is that Bowser Jr. is not in it. Still, Boom Boom, Pom Pom, and the many forms of Bowser are very fun.
  100. Mar 10, 2012
    Super Mario 3D Land mixes the best of the classic and modern Mario games to create an almost perfect platforming game. Super Mario 3D land also provides a reason for many to go out and buy a 3DS system. From the start Mario 3D land is impressive, the level design is creative, the Graphics are the best that i have seen for the series and for the first time the 3D is actually useful (forSuper Mario 3D Land mixes the best of the classic and modern Mario games to create an almost perfect platforming game. Super Mario 3D land also provides a reason for many to go out and buy a 3DS system. From the start Mario 3D land is impressive, the level design is creative, the Graphics are the best that i have seen for the series and for the first time the 3D is actually useful (for solving puzzles). There are 8 worlds and 8 special worlds (which you unlock after finishing the first 8 worlds) which contain harder levels that will please hardcore Mario fans a lot. The game is amazing in many ways but there quite a few problems with it.
    1. The first 8 Worlds are really easy and that will disappoint hardcore Mario Fans.
    2. I wish there was some sort of new feature to the game like a level editor, multiplayer of some sort etc.

Overall, Nintendo have done a great job with this game and have proved that 3D gaming is not a gimmick. If you have a 3DS, buy it. If you want a reason to get a 3DS, here it is!

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Mario is back! In a classic Mario-fashion you jump your way througheight worlds, where you battle goombas, koopas and the main meaniehimself, Bowser. This game is never particularly difficult, butgradually advanced to a challenge that feels just perfect. Fun, varied and guaranteed to make you smile.
    Lifesaver for all Nintendo 3DS owners. Super Mario 3D Land delivers flawless design and perfect use of 3D effects during the whole game. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 11, 2012
    The Nintendo 3DS has had a slow start, but I feel this marks one of the first important games to come out on this system. I can't say it's a must buy, but is really close for those who have already picked up a 3DS. The amount of content in this game along with the varying degree of gameplay makes this one of the best Mario games I've played in a while.