Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS 3DS

8.6

1. Oct 4, 2014
    This truly is the most "FUN" you will have with a video game this year! I highly recommend this game for all ages! A great game with options that will last for months! 10/10 - bring on the Wii U version!
  2. Oct 8, 2014
    Everything that was done right in previous installments Melee and Brawl has been either unnecessarily changed or removed, and the new features are lackluster. Smash Run is boring, customizable loadouts have been done by plenty of other fighting games, the online is still a joke, and interesting characters like Snake, the Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf have been removed for characters nobodyEverything that was done right in previous installments Melee and Brawl has been either unnecessarily changed or removed, and the new features are lackluster. Smash Run is boring, customizable loadouts have been done by plenty of other fighting games, the online is still a joke, and interesting characters like Snake, the Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf have been removed for characters nobody asked for (because I'd hate to imagine having to share the same planet as someone who wanted Dr. Mario back). Expand
  3. Oct 5, 2014
    As a religious smash player I was very disappointed in this new chapter of the series. Nintendo took the competitive feel out of it and the game has lost its luster. What really lost me was the horrible controls and internet speed. The online play has the one of the slowest servers a game has ever had and one person can drag everyone down in a multi battle. You cannot move the charactersAs a religious smash player I was very disappointed in this new chapter of the series. Nintendo took the competitive feel out of it and the game has lost its luster. What really lost me was the horrible controls and internet speed. The online play has the one of the slowest servers a game has ever had and one person can drag everyone down in a multi battle. You cannot move the characters fast and moves are harder to perform and chain for quick damage. Overall, this game is not worth it unless you want to buy the game just for playing level 3 computers for 2 hours. Expand
  4. Oct 3, 2014
    I love smash bros but this game is almost unplayable. Online with 4 players it will run at 5 frames per sec...yes 5 frames a sec 3 min game turns into 12 mins of slow motion gaming. I know what your thinking why not just quit that game and find another room? well I did that and it banned me from online play for 15 mins. So I have to deal with unbearable online lag or get banned nice jobI love smash bros but this game is almost unplayable. Online with 4 players it will run at 5 frames per sec...yes 5 frames a sec 3 min game turns into 12 mins of slow motion gaming. I know what your thinking why not just quit that game and find another room? well I did that and it banned me from online play for 15 mins. So I have to deal with unbearable online lag or get banned nice job Nintendo. You better fix that in the wii u version. Expand
  5. Oct 17, 2014
    Who hasn't heard of Super Smash Bros? This is every fanboy/girl's dream! You get to settle rivalries never thought to ever be settled in their respective franchises. You even learn about Nintendo's more beloved non-mainstream titles as even their characters are given life on this stage. Everyone was stoked for the next installment in this series on the Wii U. Come to find out there is aWho hasn't heard of Super Smash Bros? This is every fanboy/girl's dream! You get to settle rivalries never thought to ever be settled in their respective franchises. You even learn about Nintendo's more beloved non-mainstream titles as even their characters are given life on this stage. Everyone was stoked for the next installment in this series on the Wii U. Come to find out there is a 3DS version of the game that comes out prior. That being said, does it stand up to the standard set by the others?

With the evolution of this non-conventional 2D fighter, Smash Bros blew up with its amazing feel and unique play from other games like Tekken, Soulcalibur, and Street Fighter. With the evolution of the game came a more unique thing never thought about for Smash Bros, a story. We never cared about a story before the Wii edition and were perfectly content on mashing away that A button. Now that you gave the fans a piece of what you are capable of with a surprisingly fun story-mode, they had to deliver it again on the newer version right? Wrong. There is no story mode in this one, not even an adventure mode to emulate a different solo playing mode other than classic. It just decided to skip it which the fanbase is half and half on and I agree its not really needed. It's just a little peeve that knocks this one down a bit.

That being said, they took away that peeve with the amazing new mode, Smash Run. This was the innovation we were looking for! This is a mode designed with a large overworld where you battle against some of Nintendo's devilish enemies from all over. This all culminates into a battle at the end via Kirby Air Ride style. For each enemy you defeat, you gain something to increase a stat and in the end you face off against your opponents in a randomized game. This wowed us, this excited us, this...wait its not for online? The biggest gimmick for this version was shafted to only solo or local play making it completely underused and undervalued unless you have friends with a 3DS and a copy of the game.

The online play has a good concept with poor connection. They divided it into the "for fun" and the ranked playlists both with which sounds like fun! That is if you can connect well. Most of the games have a bunch of lag in them unless you are playing with a friend. This ruins the feel of the online play at times for you can die unnecessarily because of some bad lag.

With all the bad aside, when Nintendo got it right, they got it right. The customization aspect is incredible and by far the best addition to the series. You can either create your own Mii fighter, which is heavily customizable for what it is and for its first time being added into the series. That being said its not as extensive as ones like Soulcalibur but you can't argue that this one is a great stepping stone. You even get to add onto the characters unlocked, changing the way their specials are and their stats. Want a tanky Mario that can use huge but slow fireballs? It can happen now.

The games fighting style is the same, but just on another platform. This being said, it is a little small at times. The platform really limits the ability of the game as well which is angering since the visuals are some of the best in the series. The colouring is fresh, the stages are amazing and that black outlining actually is not a bad design choice. It allows the focus to be on the smaller details and easily allows you to discern what is on the screen. Though they wouldn't need to do it if the screen was too small, I digress it was smart nonetheless. I'm going to be short and sweet on the music, masterful. It honestly remakes some of the most memorable Nintendo songs and sometimes even revamps them with either a new feel or orchestrated. Need I say more?

Classic mode is still there and offers a great challenge for those who go for a higher difficulty. It even allows a choice in who you battle at points, and for those wanting a true challenge tempts you to go straight at the end for one of the best challenges ever offered in Classic mode. That being said...that's about it. The roster is huge, the biggest its been but has quiet a few obvious clones still despite Nintendo saying they are trying to remove clones. This feels like the most solid roster to date. Trophies are back, the 100 man challenges are back, Homerun....is back. Really there is not much other than I previously stated making this the shortest Smash Bros with the least amount of replayability cause a lot of people will be switching to the Wii U version.

Nintendo screwed the pooch on this attempt at getting more money. It is shameless taking away beloved elements and having limitations due to the platform. While being an awesome game with great gameplay, design, customization, stages, and concept, it doesn't deliver like the games previous and ultimately will be washed away by the Wii U version.

Story: 5
    Gameplay: 6
    Visuals: 6.7
    Music: 7.5
    Overall: 6.3
  6. Feb 21, 2015
    It's fun and has new things but the key bindings aren't great with little customization. The singleplayer feels solid but the multiplayer is horrid which is why i bought the game in the first place is to fight other people. We are talking about lag that makes it feel like you are running the game in 8 FPS even on the new 3DS just released in 2015.

Great game but falls short on multiplayer.
  7. Jan 12, 2015
    While the Wii-U version might be slightly better in terms of stages, and more replay value, this is a great game for the 3DS.

If you don't own a Wii-U on the other hand, this is a must have for the 3DS.

7.9/10
  8. Oct 28, 2014
    Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is the 4th installment of the Smash. series. Having waited 6 whole years I feverishly downloaded this title from the eShop after enjoying the Demo for a week or two. After playing 50~ hours and being a veteran of the series from the N64 days, I felt it was high-time I reviewed this game. If I could summarize in advance for those who don't want to read aSuper Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is the 4th installment of the Smash. series. Having waited 6 whole years I feverishly downloaded this title from the eShop after enjoying the Demo for a week or two. After playing 50~ hours and being a veteran of the series from the N64 days, I felt it was high-time I reviewed this game. If I could summarize in advance for those who don't want to read a lengthy review, it would be this:

Super Smash Bros. has taken a step forward only to take a drastic step back. While it's an improvement from previous title, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it also removed a lot of features both fundamental and superficial to the point it negates the improvements' efforts. Slap an overly sterile and rather surgical presentation over it and you have this title. Sm4sh as it has been dubbed.

Now I'd like to articulate as to what it is I'm getting at. Right off the bat it's important to understand that the Smash. bros community is split between two types of enthusiast: The casual player and the tournament player. Something Nintendo alludes to with their 'For fun' and 'For glory' mode(s). This contrast of player-base has been with the series right from the start.

However, a defining tension has been drawn since the days of Brawl when the changing and removing of integral mechanics occurred.
    To save the reader with a separate issue entirely, I'll put it bluntly. Casual players are happy no matter the title. Tournament players are more responsive to change. Sm4sh has made further removal of key features enjoyed by this demographic, disenfranchising this part of the audience which Nintendo aimed to appease with the inclusion of 'For glory'.

The inclusion of infinite air-dodges, the removal of wave-dashing and edge-guarding, and of course, the higher/further kill-zones and floatier launch making for a lengthy match that makes opponents harder to kill. These are all fundamental changes that have been made that has contributed to the taking of a step back. As said above, casual players by their nature are impartial to either removal or inclusion, and therefore there is no benefit, only an alienation of one half of the audience. As I touched upon before, the fundamental mechanics did not only take a blow. The content has too. One might argue that as it is a 3DS title, it is inherently limited. And you would be right. But this only adds to the reasoning that the series has taken a step back and not forward.

This title is unique in the sense that it's the first Smash. game to be a multi-platform title. Normally this implies minor difference in any other game, but in this case it is severe. It is a console game (Wii U) that is optimized to deliver a similar experience with the handheld (3DS). The margin of difference is massive, and it's seen in what I'm talking about. The removal of content. From the gross lack of cut-scenes, to the rather simplicity of stages, all the way to the changes of characters (Diddy Kong's banana limit, Olimar's Pikimin limit) and ultimately, the removal of characters entirely. (Ice Climbers). All of the mentioned were removed/changed to suit the multi-platforming approach.

Most importantly, the netcode leaves a lot to be desired. Whether or not Nintendo will refine their connection quality in the future via patching remains to be seen. But in closing, I'd like to drive home the point that Sm4sh is prettier and boasts a larger roster than it's contemporary titles - yes - but it commits to the sin of clone-characters more than it's previous iterations. As far as fundamental and content changing goes, it's a step back.

The stand-alone game is good, but as a Smash. title it certainly does not live up to the legacy. to quote my previous summary, it is lack-luster, surgical, and sterile. Giving the illusion that it's a breath of fresh-air and 'new' only to the consumer's dismay that it has removed more than what it's added. And although the Wii U version will offer the Smash veteran more, the fact will always haunt us that whatever it is we get on the console COULD have been better if it had not been multi-platform.

I give it a 6/10. It's a good game, but a poor Smash game.
  9. Feb 15, 2015
    I have had so much fun with this game. The only cons are the small screen and the extremely laggy multiplayer. Other then that, this game is perfect.
  10. Nov 13, 2014
    This is Smash Bros so I'm going to make this short.

Balancing is great. Character variety is great, aside from some **** clones. Content is a bit lacking. Controls are bad. Online lags sometimes and the 3DS connection is easily negatively influenced by phones, to many 3DSes and other Wifi sources. The game is fun and it's nice to have a portable Smash but the Wii U version will heavily
    This is Smash Bros so I'm going to make this short.

Balancing is great. Character variety is great, aside from some **** clones.
    Content is a bit lacking. Controls are bad. Online lags sometimes and the 3DS connection is easily negatively influenced by phones, to many 3DSes and other Wifi sources. The game is fun and it's nice to have a portable Smash but the Wii U version will heavily improve on basically everything.
  11. Nov 13, 2014
    First, the bad.

First, the bad.

As of writing, there are ~5 characters played in for glory mode - 90% of the characters are useless for online play. Unplayable lag in all online 4v4 modes means that if you want to play online you're pigeonholed into these terribly unfun 1v1 matchups (you'll be matched up against the same 3 or 4 wildly overbalanced characters every game). There is no place to use your custom characters/mii's online (not even a "custom arena"?) so that feature might as well not be included.

Onto the good stuff!
    The wide array of characters, fun stages, and the single player modes are excellent, not much to say.

Summary: Terrible character balance ruins what might have otherwise been a fun game. Lag in 4v4 matches is out of Nintendo's hands, as I'm sure there are people trying to play on public wifi ruining the connection, so I'll give that one a pass. I don't intend to play the game any more unless the balancing is addressed.

12. Nov 15, 2014
    As polished as this new instalment of Super Smash Bros. is, I don't feel there is enough variation in the single-player modes to warrant a higher score. Without any challenge or story modes there is only classic and all-star campaigns, and these are both very repetitive fare.

The Smash Run mode is a great addition, and despite being a breeze to clock through on your own it's still a load of fun. A huge roster of characters also gives the player an array of fighting styles to experiment with, but for me, the dearth of any solid, single-player modes really puts a black mark on this.
  13. Dec 19, 2014
    All 3ds owners need this game. It is really fun and it is really nice that the Smash bros fun has finally come to a handheld. My only little problem is that Nintendo didn't put enough effort into making the 3ds version a bit on par with the Wii u version.
  14. Jan 15, 2015
    best combat game ever. its got easy controls , the best video game mascots (sonic , link , Kirby , pikachu , mario ect.) , great maps and music. its just realy good
  15. Mar 17, 2015
    Not as good as the Wii U version but still a great game. The graphics are okay. The character selection is awesome. The Smash Run mode is fun but Smash Tour is better. The gameplay is great. Super Smash Bros for 3DS is good but if you had to choose one, I would say Wii U. If both, it's worth buying.
  16. Feb 7, 2015
    It's a nice game with good graphics, especially considering we're talking about the 3ds. However, with no adventure or event mode like Brawl, the game does lack a bit of content. Still a nice game to play when you're bored.
  17. Feb 19, 2015
    Certaintly, the Wii U Version is quite a bit better, The Nintendo 3DS Version is flawless too. I play this every single time I have a chance like in a car, great for trips or on-the-go. If you have a Nintendo 3DS or 2DS, this is a MUST OWN game. Like if you don't have this game, what's the point of having a 3DS? Unless you don't like Smash but I mean this is one of those games I love toCertaintly, the Wii U Version is quite a bit better, The Nintendo 3DS Version is flawless too. I play this every single time I have a chance like in a car, great for trips or on-the-go. If you have a Nintendo 3DS or 2DS, this is a MUST OWN game. Like if you don't have this game, what's the point of having a 3DS? Unless you don't like Smash but I mean this is one of those games I love to play on the go. Heck I even got it on the realease date 3, Oct. 2014 because that's how excited I was. Expand
  18. Mar 18, 2015
    really the only reason its not a ten is because of all unbalanced characters. for example: Wii fit trainer has no actual powerful attack that you can land, and even dealing basic damage is hard because the header has too narrow a hit range. and then there's Link, who has massive launch and reach with his sword, the power bow alternate also has massive launch power and range, and finallyreally the only reason its not a ten is because of all unbalanced characters. for example: Wii fit trainer has no actual powerful attack that you can land, and even dealing basic damage is hard because the header has too narrow a hit range. and then there's Link, who has massive launch and reach with his sword, the power bow alternate also has massive launch power and range, and finally the meteor bomb alternate insta KOs anyone off the edge. on the PLUS side the character variety is (usually) able to find a way to suit just about any player. the smash run provides a good way to battle it out against about a thousand weak enemies and a boss level enemy or two just to mix it up a little. its too bad that you can't modify the difficulty like classic, but it still kind of balances out somehow in the end. its true some maps like Jungle Japes are just impractical for a good fight, but they're in general pretty good. the all star mode should have some more rewards for the difficulty it presents. but wait there's more! and more! and more trophies than ever before! I'm around 560 with all the fighters and a small handful of alternates. STILL MORE. of course the trophies are useful sometimes. they basically give away all the strengths and weaknesses of the fighters and enemies. Expand
  19. Apr 6, 2015
    its fun and controllable, Has a lot of stuff to do in it and playing with friends is fun , Graphics great for a 3DS game but if you have a Wii U i would recommend Smash Bros on Wii U more
  20. Nov 2, 2014
    Waited 15 years for this series to come to a handheld.

Bought a 3DS just for this.

Will buy a Wii U just for that.

Goodness, what a divine game.
  21. Oct 18, 2014
    4 people battle was the best part of this series , but now -_- 3ds power limitation really mess up with the 4p battle , things 99% will get better on new3ds as i believe? There is mostly no framerate issues on this game but luigi do has a glitch on animal crossing map (another patch coming soon?)

OVERALL: Buy it -/_- 4p **** but 2p so far has no noticeable problem been found yet
  22. Oct 3, 2014
    Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS is a perfect game.
    First off: I've been a Smash Bros Fan since the N64 Version. I've played and still play Melee and Brawl and I love the 3DS version. Its everything you expect. It delivers the perfect Smash Bros experience for a handheld.
    Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS is a perfect game.

I've noticed that some people criticize the size of the characters. I don't get their point. I have the normal sized 3DS (Not the XL) and I never get confused (Not in 1v1 and not in FreeForAll). This might just be a me but the size is no problem on the normal sized 3DS, and it won't be on the XL.

The new All-Star Mode lets you play through the history of Nintendo. Its super fun. After every fight you get teleported to a hub where you have 3 items to heal yourself(Just like in the boss mode in brawl)

The "Classic" mode is very awesome. You will be dropped in a map, where the paths that branch off each represent a different difficulty. You will fight giant enemies for trophies and customization options. At the end you will fight Master Hand or a harder boss (I wont spoil it).

The other things people like to criticize is the "Smash Run" mode. I can understand why they do that. The balance in the last battle can be unfair but Smash Run still has its fun moments.

A thing I really like is the Mii Fighter. You can customize his full moveset and give him different clothes/outfits.

In the online mode you can play "For Fun"(with items) which is a bit more casual.
    Or you can play "For Glory"(No items) which is kind of competitive.It works really well. I can play with my american friends without any lag.

Of course you can still play your Stadium games like "The Home Run contest" and "Multi Man Smash". There is a new Stadium gamemode called "Target Blast" which let's you attack a bomb (Like the home run sandbag) and then smash it out of the arena. The bomb will land on a construction that will explode after the bomb has hit it. You will get more points for more destruction.

This game is amazing. If you like fighting games/Nintendo you should get this game.
  23. Oct 5, 2014
    I honestly don't understand all the hype. It's a fighting game but a very basic one compared to other offerings such as Street Fighter or dare I say it WWE Wrestling.

On the 3DS the characters while moving freely and looking sharp they are also incredibly small making it difficult to spot your character or indeed determine which way they are facing. But it's not all bad news. There

But it's not all bad news. There are a plethora of options for this game and I have no doubt for the fans its a big release.

For though, I think it's a game best played on-line on a big screen TV.
  24. Oct 8, 2014
    Super Smash Bros. 3DS is a great game and a must have for any 3DS owner. However it falls short in Classic Smash Mode, notably Master Hand and Crazy Hand.
  25. Nov 6, 2014
    IF I CAOULD I WOOD RAITE THE A 11/5 CAUSE THIS IS HAM GOOD THIS GAM IS I PLAY thise al the tim with my frieands thay lave this game toow AND SO SHULD YU i arn;t a bgi marlio fane but I love this garm caus ei ca play as my favoite carachters like Marga Men Shelf Booser and Lank the so fun to play as I can stop playing the gam$
  26. Oct 5, 2014
    The core of the game is good, lots of iconic Nintendo action. However some issues make this game less than stellar. No d-pad for more precise movement inputs forcing the use of circle pad which is by no means as good as analog stick controller. The circle pad makes difficult twitch moments in a battle a complete toss up. The multiplayer is P2P instead of dedicated servers and matchmakingThe core of the game is good, lots of iconic Nintendo action. However some issues make this game less than stellar. No d-pad for more precise movement inputs forcing the use of circle pad which is by no means as good as analog stick controller. The circle pad makes difficult twitch moments in a battle a complete toss up. The multiplayer is P2P instead of dedicated servers and matchmaking is not filtered very well so if you live in an out of the way area expect to lag, and lag often. Even in an urban metropolitan area, lag is still an issue every couple of matches***. The screen size gives some characters who have hard to see or follow attacks very difficult to deal with when the battle area becomes heavily zoomed out.

***Odds of having a laggy match can be reduced by playing For Glory - 1 vs 1 matches. However this completely diminished the game as the pull of Smash is the fun frantic fighting of 4 vs 4 or 2 vs 2.
  27. Oct 6, 2014
    This game is honestly mediocre as far as smash goes.

Problems include Huge blast zones that make it extremely difficult to get a kill unless your opponent is at 150 percent. Almost no comboability due to high knockback and low hitstun. Items that are extremely overpowered. Also there is no option to change the frequency of items, only on or off. Pretty much no neutral stages.
    This game is honestly mediocre as far as smash goes.

Problems include

Almost no comboability due to high knockback and low hitstun.

Pretty much no neutral stages. All of them are extremely gimmicky.

The floaty feel of brawl.

A lack of returning favorites (Ice climbers, Wolf, Lucas).

An online mode that is extremely laggy and nearly unplayable. No option to only play people from your region so you get matched up with Japanese dudes with LITERALLY 1-2 seconds of lag.

The screen is too small sometimes (at least on a regular 3ds).

Pros:

60fps looks great.

Good graphics.

Some fun new characters.

Custom moves are kinda fun, even though you cant use them online.
  28. Oct 4, 2014
    It's a fun game for 3DS. The single player modes are fun and rewarding, and you can get some good local multiplayer matches going if you haven't grown out of friends with 3DSs. If you like Smash, this lives up to everything you'd want out of it. Save for, the bad:

1. Most of the online modes are unstable. The only mode you can get a reasonably non-laggy match is 1v1 For Glory mode. For Fun will mess up your day with its lag.

2. The Circlepad is just not as satisfying or precise as a console joystick. Without that snap you get when you ram down the joystick in the console games, Smash attacks aren't very fun to pull off. And you'll find yourself doing tilt attacks in directions you didn't plan on.

So it's a frustrating game if you want to get competitive with it, I'd imagine. I would just recommend playing this game casually; don't take it too seriously and just enjoy the silly-fun modes like Smash Run to tie you over until the Wii U version comes out. They are cool and the ridiculous amounts of gold and collectables you get from them make them worth playing more than once.

The game is robust, the graphic design is great, but the design and power (mainly the online) of the 3DS hold it back from being truly awesome.
  29. Oct 5, 2014
    The lack of a c-stick is frustrating and is only emphasized by the lacklustre analogue stick the 3DS has making controls clunky and uncomfortable to use and means in some cases you're character doesn't face the right direction to attack when you've input them. Smashing is also made difficult because of this and I've spoken to people put off the game by it's controls in the demo. It's alsoThe lack of a c-stick is frustrating and is only emphasized by the lacklustre analogue stick the 3DS has making controls clunky and uncomfortable to use and means in some cases you're character doesn't face the right direction to attack when you've input them. Smashing is also made difficult because of this and I've spoken to people put off the game by it's controls in the demo. It's also extremely bare bones, some modes and features have been stripped away for some reason including any kind of story mode. Classic mode was reduced to 6 stages not ten, coin battles are gone, and Sakurai has put some of his own pointless characters in like Dark Pit while Dark Link remains a skin. Overall it's a very frustrating experience from a game I expected a lot more. Expand
  30. Oct 5, 2014
    Ok so I just bought this game and i have some good and some bad things to say about it. First the good points. Right off the bat I think the 3D looks good with this game. Ive read reviews where players stating that the screen was too small or characters were too tiny. I play on the 3DSXL and in my opinion the detail and size of everything was well balanced. The new levels look amazing withOk so I just bought this game and i have some good and some bad things to say about it. First the good points. Right off the bat I think the 3D looks good with this game. Ive read reviews where players stating that the screen was too small or characters were too tiny. I play on the 3DSXL and in my opinion the detail and size of everything was well balanced. The new levels look amazing with great detail and flavorful backgrounds. The controls are well done and have a natural feel to them, making combos easy to pull off. I have not played a SSB game since the Gamecube, and the gameplay felt like it hasnt lost anything. I really like the powerups that come into play during fights. They are fun and visually stunning. Next is the custom characters. This I LOVE! You are able to assign new abilities and stats to any character you chose to give them that custom feeling, this is a huge plus.

Now for the Cons for this game. My biggest complaint about this game is the roster. It's 95% completed for you. My favorite part of SSB was unlocking all the new characters. There are characters to unlock, but not near the amount as its predecessors. Next is, Where is the target challenge mode!!!!!! I loved that in SSB. There are a lot of new game modes, but the one that was always the best, imo, was the timed target challenge. The game seems lacking in the replay value. It feels more like a SSB game that was designed as an iphone app where corners were cut.

Overall the game is very fun and worth buying just to have a SSB game on handheld. I feel like they could have improved on some of the game modes and allowed players to get that excited feeling every time they defeat master hand and knowing "A new challenger has approached!!!!!"
  31. Oct 3, 2014
    Amazing amount of content for a brawler; however, online lags so much! When one player has a terrible connection, he/she drags you down like an anchor. It's an issue and it needs to be addressed. Hopefully, there's a fix in the near future. Until then, I'll be practicing against AIs and having local battles with buddies.
  32. Oct 23, 2014
    A great entry of Smash Bros which surprised me in how well it could be built for a handheld. The game is chalk full of single player content, the fps is smooth in single-player, and the controls allow for tight play. The netcode has some serious issues in online play, which hopefully is fixable. As it stands most people can expect extreme lag in trying to play with others through the network.
  33. Oct 27, 2014
    there is a lot of people giving this game a negative review based on either them not being good at the game or them having a crappy internet connection
    all the other modes other than the main multi-player focus is actually very good quality, its just dwarfed by the multiplayer
    this game doesn't actually need a review, everyone knows smash bros
  34. Jan 3, 2015
    This is the best smash bros nintendo has made. i appreciate them going all out on the 3ds and wii u. Smash Bros is extremely fun and online is extremely competitive. Like fight game people troll the same movies over and over but Smash Bros they try, but you can use your mind to get past that and beat the hell out of them trolling bastards and its more satisfying than the last. ManyThis is the best smash bros nintendo has made. i appreciate them going all out on the 3ds and wii u. Smash Bros is extremely fun and online is extremely competitive. Like fight game people troll the same movies over and over but Smash Bros they try, but you can use your mind to get past that and beat the hell out of them trolling bastards and its more satisfying than the last. Many developers can learn a leasson from the people who mad this game, and im not saying nintendo. im talking about the actual people that put and effort in making this game. This game is a must have if you have a 3ds. And my favorite thing about this game is the retroness they added in the 3ds version was an incredibly smart idea on so many levels. Any character can beat any character dont let the bad reviews fool you. They did not take anything away that matter. and there is plenty of content and dlc in the future. Who ever gave this game a low review sucked at playing it. i mean i beat almost impossible odds online with Bowser. some over powered characters but skill overpowers an overpowered character. 9 out of 10 Expand
  35. Oct 27, 2014
    This game has two halves. single player and multiplayer. the singler player is fine but for me, the multiplayer is laggy to the point where it is no longer playable. and this is not an issue with my internet, this is a Nintendo issue. smash 4 is the only game i own where online is like this, and until it is fixed, i would advise against buying this game.
  36. Nov 3, 2014
    This is the game that Nintendo needed so everyone could forget about Brawl. A rather fun experience in both single player and multiplayer but with a few issues more around the online service as well as added features that are not all that interesting. However added features that may not be interesting to some are optional. The game plays smoothly at 60 frames per second on the charactersThis is the game that Nintendo needed so everyone could forget about Brawl. A rather fun experience in both single player and multiplayer but with a few issues more around the online service as well as added features that are not all that interesting. However added features that may not be interesting to some are optional. The game plays smoothly at 60 frames per second on the characters but assist trophies run at 30 fps. However it is only visible on the Nintendogs assist trophy. The game is incredible but with some draw backs. First off is the online. You get banned for disconnecting from an online game even if the person is being cheap. You end up having to wait an amount of time before playing again which is an idiotic idea. The servers are poor enough already and I experienced lag from even one on one For Glory mode which affects the gameplay greatly. But even with bad lag I still played and won a few matches. Some of the characters in game are very cheap and you will find out why. Of course you can be just as evil by simply playing as those characters. The game has too much to offer but not everything will interest everyone. Is the game bad? Not at all. I would recommend this game and you should at least download the demo before buying it to give it a try. The game is fun but with a few drawbacks. I hope the servers improve in the future for a better experience. Expand
  37. Nov 9, 2014
    Great game, I would have thought that such a big game like smash would not fair well on a portable console, but boy was i wrong, it is a good as ever and i can't wait for Wii U release.
  38. Nov 11, 2014
    Until the wii u version comes out, this is my favourite smash bros game. Such amazing and unique characters thrown into a battle royale. What more could you want?
  39. Nov 11, 2014
    This is hands down the best installment in the Super Smash Bros. series. With the 52 characters the game offers and the additions they could make with DLC, there is so much to choose from. This is a great portable version of the game and it still looks quite nice with the graphics of the 3DS. I love that they have brought almost all of the previous game modes and put them into this game,This is hands down the best installment in the Super Smash Bros. series. With the 52 characters the game offers and the additions they could make with DLC, there is so much to choose from. This is a great portable version of the game and it still looks quite nice with the graphics of the 3DS. I love that they have brought almost all of the previous game modes and put them into this game, along with the new Smash Run, which is where my only complaint lies. I do not entirely like the Smash Run mode. It was a great idea, but I feel as though it falls short of its potential. Overall, the game is amazing and is a must have for and 3DS or 2DS owner. Expand
  40. Nov 13, 2014
    super smash bros is a great game i really enjoyed it hope we can get some really cool dlc characters and stages.my only concern was the characters were way to easy to unlock. I play this game every day with my friends keep going Nintendo this game is great I recommend anyone with a 3ds to go out and buy this game.
  41. Oct 3, 2014
    Absolutely amazing, everything I've ever wanted on a handheld smash bros game.

It can be a bit hard to see in 4-player multiplayer matches for some people, but that's about the only downfall and if you have a 3DS XL that shouldnt even be a problem.
  42. Oct 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Super smash brothers 4 doesn't live up to my expectations. This game doesn't have enough content on it, And the controls with the circle pad suck. First off, When I try to do a smash attack with the circle pad, It doesn't do it 60% of the time. And with the B attacks, When I try do the recover move, It sometimes registers as the side B attack, making me fall off the F@#%ing stage! Fighting games require precise control, and the 3DS just cannot do that with the circle pad.
    The content on this game is bear minimum. All star mode and classic mode are the only modes you will WANT to play, And of both of them All star mode is the only enjoyable one if you play at a higher difficulty. Classic mode has this stupid roulette wheel for prizes, And most of the time you're going to want costumes and hats for the Mii fighters. Except THE WHEEL NEVER GIVES YOU S%^T! I don't care about trophies, and I don't care about an extra 200 coins. But that's not the worst part of Classic mode. The master hand battle is bulls@#t!. I played all the way through White hot difficulty (9), I went all the way through without being KO'd, And The master hand whoops your ass. First you fight Crazy hand AND master hand, Then some stupid shadow thing, Then a shadow dog, Then 4 swords, then Yourself, Then you have to do a lot damage to a smash ball, then you win. And EACH time you lose, The difficulty drops, Your money is taken away, and it takes away prizes you got from the f@$^ing roulette wheel. And makes you want to smash your 3DS with a sledge hammer in frustration. Don't even mention the new Smash run mode, Just do a normal brawl.
    Then we have the Characters, A large roster, with a small amount being unlockable. Remember when Clone characters were not going to be in the game? Yea- no. Dark Pit and Pit, Toon link and Link, Dr Mario and Mario. Yep. Certainly don't see any clone characters here. Ice climbers have got to go though, Don't want any duplicates.
    This games multiplayer is slow as s@$t.. Every battle runs at like 3 fps. And if you get disconnected, receive a 15 min ban. Sounds like fun doesn't it?
    This game is pretty bad. The controls don't work well, The modes are boring, Multiplayer runs too slow, and there aren't enough stages. Its not a game I would pulverize with my sledge hammer, But its certainly not even close to being good, And I expect the Wii U version to contain more content then this version.
  43. Oct 3, 2014
    I really can't see anything wrong in this game. Despite being on a handheld console, it's the same Smash Bros we've always played, if not better. I have to say my expectations were low about it, but now that I've played it, man it's fun. As others already said, the only downside of this game is the 4-player matches, but I don't consider it a reason to lower my rating.
  44. Oct 15, 2014
    Pros: Portable.

Cons: Bad Controls (Smash just wasn't meant for the 3DS circle pad). Laggy Online. Disappointing Roster. This game basically feels like Smash Bros. Brawl 0.5; a downgrade in some ways, and not much of an improvement in most others. They cut some of Brawl's interesting characters and features, and failed to replace them with anything exciting. There's a lot of reuse of
    Pros: Portable.

This game basically feels like Smash Bros. Brawl 0.5; a downgrade in some ways, and not much of an improvement in most others. They cut some of Brawl's interesting characters and features, and failed to replace them with anything exciting. There's a lot of reuse of existing moves and mechanics for the "new" characters.

For example, 6 of the game's newcomers have the same B-Down Counter that 4 of the game's veterans already have. So, roughly 20% of all characters in the game share that same move. That's just lazy.
  45. Oct 3, 2014
    How they managed to squeeze a true Smash Bros. experience into such a tiny cartridge is amazing. With nearly 50 characters and unique 3DS stages along with the 3DS exclusive Smash Run mode, this will definitely keep me entertained until the Wii U version launches this winter! Best $40 I ever spent.
  46. Oct 14, 2014
    This is the reason why i bought a 3DS, and i was not disappointed at all. If you don't know the smash bros saga, all you need to know is that they are the best beat 'em up games ever.
  47. Oct 6, 2014
    I expect better from Nintendo. Multiplayer is a 2fps lag fest, With Terrible controls. 3DS is not meant to play fighting games like this, Circle pad inputs the wrong control 40% of the time. If your playing by yourself which you do 90% of the time, you have little to do other then battle bots on the same maps, because this game has barely any modes. Don't buy this pile of crap. Wait forI expect better from Nintendo. Multiplayer is a 2fps lag fest, With Terrible controls. 3DS is not meant to play fighting games like this, Circle pad inputs the wrong control 40% of the time. If your playing by yourself which you do 90% of the time, you have little to do other then battle bots on the same maps, because this game has barely any modes. Don't buy this pile of crap. Wait for the proper WII U version. Expand
  48. Oct 5, 2014
    Super Smash Bros. for 3DS made a great transition from console to handheld. The game shows that the developers worked diligently to make the game balanced and fun as possible while pushing the limitations of the 3DS. There is still a lot to do and explore in this new installment and the gameplay is as fun as it has ever been.

The controls will get some getting used to for most.

The controls will get some getting used to for most. Personally, the controls are pretty good for what they are and there is even an option to change some of the control settings to fit the needs of the player. It's not perfect, but it's not unbearable to play either.

The roster consists of 49 (including the new Mii Fighters) characters, which is incredible for a handheld. Although some fan favorites are cut, this is probably the most balanced and more diverse cast of characters in Smash history. There are old veterans (Mario, Link, Kirby, Fox, Samus, and Pikachu), newcomers from a variety of games (Wii Fit Trainer from Wii Fit, Villager from Animal Crossing, Lucina and Robin from Fire Emblem Awakening, Litte Mac from Punch Out!, Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles to name a few), and third-party characters (Mega-Man and Pac-Man). This sets up incredible dream matches such as the battle of icons with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. Each newcomer comes with a unique set of moves that change how you manage them. Although there are a few clones in the game, it does not stop them from making a strong impact in this new roster.

The graphics are pretty good and for a handheld fighting game. Playing at 60 fps on a handheld is quite an achievement. Online, however, might give players some issues, especially if other players do not have a good access point to play online. Nevertheless, the stages and characters are vibrant and colorful, fitting the new style of this generation of Smash Bros.

While there are fewer game modes this time around (most glaring is no Adventure-type mode), the developers made some enhancements on a couple of the older modes such as Classic and All-Star. This time around in Classic mode, you get to wager a certain amount of coins (that can also be used for trophies) to increase the difficulty of the mode. The more you wager, the more intense the game is, and the more rewards you unlock. You also might battle against a new end boss depending on your difficulty. All-Star mode is now about fighting characters based on their year of origin. A new mode for the handheld version is Smash Run, in which players go through a course full of enemies and gain power-ups in five minutes before a random battle. While this may sound fun on paper, the randomness of the final battle may put some players at a disadvantage. For example, if one player does not have enough boost in speed, they are more likely to lose in a speed run battle. So while Smash Run is fun at times, it can also be a let down.

Online is pretty random at times. While it is significantly better than Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the experience players have may differ. The best way to play is to hope that everyone has a good internet access point. If one person has a low access point, it affects the entire battle in terms of input and frame rate. The new modes for online are much better and provide more options to play with a better structure. For Fun is a mode in which players can play casually, with items and stages with hazards and only wins are recorded. For Glory is mainly for competitive play, with no items and every stage is turned into a Final Destination-type of stage and wins and losses are recorded.

There are also many other perks within this new game, including trophies, challenges, and character customization. In character customization, you have the ability to either create a Mii Fighter into your own liking or change movesets and attributes of characters of the current roster. There are many movesets and equipment for both to unlock in various modes such as Classic and Smash Run.

Smash Bros. for 3DS is everything it is advertised to be, Smash Bros. on the go. Gameplay is as tight as ever and there is a great balance between the competitive-heavy Melee and the casual-friendly Brawl. The controls are good for what they are worth, though they will take some time getting used to for some. Although there are some things that will be missed from previous games, this game is incredibly packed with content. The roster is incredible, the game modes that are present are still fun, online is well-done (as long as everyone has a good access point), and there are so many unlockables to discover throughout the game. So, all in all, for a fighting game to transition from console to handheld, there are many challenges. Smash Bros. has somehow overcome these challenges and is a fun game in it's own right. Although the Wii U version is anticipated to be the best and most definitive version, the handheld version can manage on it's own as well.
  49. Oct 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is good! So many characters to choose from, and to unlock. Cool new modes like smash run, good challenge and the controls are PERFECT. But the game does have flaws. The online is absolutely awful. Some modes like smash run can only played alone, with friends, or on local wireless. It's a shame we can't play smash run online. And target blast isn't al that fun. Overall, I would recommend this game to any newcomer or casual. But immune are a competetive player that wants to play online, I'd wait to see if the wii u version is less laggy. Like I said before, it is a good game Expand
  50. Oct 9, 2014
    Super Smash Bros is a very good game there is alot of game modes to keep you playing and the game modes are fun however when you have the controls holding back a excellent game you can't hope to wait for the wii u version
  51. Oct 6, 2014
    The biggest gripe people seem to be having is the online lag. I'm playing with a 30mbps connection using a decent wireless router (Asus RT-N56U). Most of the 1v1 matches I've had were completely without lag, but every now and then I would experience lag. If the other user(s) have a poor connection or an old/cheap wireless router, everyone will suffer. This is just a fact of life and thereThe biggest gripe people seem to be having is the online lag. I'm playing with a 30mbps connection using a decent wireless router (Asus RT-N56U). Most of the 1v1 matches I've had were completely without lag, but every now and then I would experience lag. If the other user(s) have a poor connection or an old/cheap wireless router, everyone will suffer. This is just a fact of life and there is nothing the game can really do about it.

That said, the game is everything I could dream of and more for a wireless version of the game. It has a excellent amount of content and great replayability both locally and online. The only shortcoming is that I had to get hand grip for my system so my thumbs wouldn't get so sore so easily. Its great for a portable experience which I'm thrilled to have available to me. Its perfect for smaller sessions of play. I've been playing hours and hours of the game, which admittedly are better suited for the Wii U version when it comes out. All in all, the game is exactly what a handheld version of smash bros should be.
  52. Oct 5, 2014
    In few words "this game is awesome". There is so much content, the action is fast and precise. I cannot review the on-line features because of the bad connection in my home. 49 characters and i cannot stop playing this game. A must have if you have a 3DS, if you don't have one what are you waiting for and get one.
  53. Oct 3, 2014
    It's all the fun of smash bros, but with new things and all of
    It's compacted into your portable device! What's not to love!? Fantastic game and is a MUST HAVE for any 3ds user
  54. Oct 3, 2014
    Ended up buying a 3DS XL (again) to risk playing Smash Bros (which I have played since the very first). I was very surprised how much I actually enjoyed it, especially coming into the situation with a speculative mindset about the possible quality of the game on a handheld system. Based upon the hardware (specifically amount of power the 3DS XL can put out), the game as a whole isEnded up buying a 3DS XL (again) to risk playing Smash Bros (which I have played since the very first). I was very surprised how much I actually enjoyed it, especially coming into the situation with a speculative mindset about the possible quality of the game on a handheld system. Based upon the hardware (specifically amount of power the 3DS XL can put out), the game as a whole is fantastic, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys... well (1) Nintendo, (2) fighting games, (3) or video games in general. IT IS A MUST BUY!!! Expand
  55. Oct 11, 2014
    This is easily one of my favorite smash bros games. It isn't easy to get used to though and it isn't very defensive like brawl. I wasn't too happy with you starting with a lot of the characters since I like unlocking them. For example: Toon Link is a starter in this game while in brawl, he was one of the last characters to unlock. The online is also not that great due to lag a lot of theThis is easily one of my favorite smash bros games. It isn't easy to get used to though and it isn't very defensive like brawl. I wasn't too happy with you starting with a lot of the characters since I like unlocking them. For example: Toon Link is a starter in this game while in brawl, he was one of the last characters to unlock. The online is also not that great due to lag a lot of the times. A lot of the characters are clones as well in this game which I didn't like. Also, the final smashes were not creative at all. Mario and Wii fit trainers are the same. Ike, Greninja, Robin, and Mii Brawlers are all the same and Giga Bowser and Giga Mac are also pretty much the same. Overall though, this game is very fun and does have a competitive feel. Classic mode is the best classic mode up to date and Smash Run is very very fun and rewarding. This game is definitely meant to hold you over until the Wii U version but its still great. Don't let anyone tell you anything different because this game is worth every bit of that $39.99. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS gets an 8/10 Expand
  56. Oct 13, 2014
    Smash bros on 3DS it's amazing, fun and the multiplayer is great and it is definitely worth to buy on a handheld it is great to be able to play whenever
  57. Oct 13, 2014
    Everything I could have hoped for and everything I expected. It's everything a Super Smash Bros game should be!

Only complaint:
    Smash Run is not so great. Expectations were slightly high, but it's just not nearly as fun as I would have hoped.
  58. Oct 14, 2014
    super smash brothers 4 3ds is a really great game. the starting roster is huge, it was about the same size as all the characters in brawl and there is more with characters like villager and your miis, the game feels better to play. even thought there are a few clone characters in the game, the characters have different damages for instance lucina and marth, where marths damage is on thesuper smash brothers 4 3ds is a really great game. the starting roster is huge, it was about the same size as all the characters in brawl and there is more with characters like villager and your miis, the game feels better to play. even thought there are a few clone characters in the game, the characters have different damages for instance lucina and marth, where marths damage is on the tip of his blade, while lucina has the damage well rounded on her sword. the only downside really are some of the items like the gustbellows because many people get free kills from it. also the online is much better than brawl even though there is lag mainly when there is 4 player online it still doesnt lag as much as brawl. overall super smash bros for 3ds is worth a try Expand
  59. Oct 16, 2014
    As I charged forward as Link, I immediately noticed just how well the game was presented on the 3DS. Initially, I had been worried that the 3DS could not handle the intensity of a standard Smash match, but the game ran at the series’ staple of sixty frames per second and the character models, although downgraded from the high-definition models they would be using in the Wii U version ofAs I charged forward as Link, I immediately noticed just how well the game was presented on the 3DS. Initially, I had been worried that the 3DS could not handle the intensity of a standard Smash match, but the game ran at the series’ staple of sixty frames per second and the character models, although downgraded from the high-definition models they would be using in the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. 4, looked crisp and detailed despite the 3DS’s hardware limitations. When Link’s sword struck at Mario’s unguarded back, a new addition surprised me; a vibrant streak of red and black lightning that signified an attack a fighter would not be able to recover from accompanied the unfortunate plumber’s trip past the edge of the screen. Then, as Mario jumped from his recovery platform at the top of the stage, I finally heard the mariachi-style rendition of the Gerudo Valley theme twanging away in the background. With the sort of hot-blooded music one would hear during a classic Western showdown blaring in my ears and pumping up my hype factor, I once again charged forward, sword and shield in hand. This would be the first of my many showdowns. But I digress.

Not only does SSB3DS look, sound and run great, the gameplay feels smooth as silk. Its pacing lies somewhere between Melee’s incredibly fast pace and Brawl’s slower, more casual pace, which, along with its frustrating tripping mechanic, severely hindered many players’ ability to enjoy the game both competitively and casually. Thankfully, SSB3DS’s fluid intermediary speed combined with the removal of tripping and a more focused approach on stronger fighting mechanics (i.e. character/moveset buffs, edge-grabbing overhaul) makes it much more viable for both types of players. SSB3DS also introduces character customization in the form of interchangeable special moves, allowing players to switch their favorite characters movesets to suit their own playstyle. This, along with the wide variety of characters on the roster, lets players further personalize their Smash experience.

The single-player elements of SSB3DS are as varied as always, with the returning Classic and All-Star modes receiving a number of changes, such as branching paths and a new, much more challenging final boss that appears only on higher difficulties at the end of Classic Mode’s Master Hand and Crazy Hand path. Both the Multi-Man Smash and Home-Run Contest modes return, but Target Smash is replaced with Target Blast, an indirectly-based target breaking minigame. Also, Subspace Emissary, the story-driven single-player mode included in Brawl does not return or receive a continuation, however. It is instead replaced with Smash Run, where four players traverse a labyrinth rife with enemies from various Nintendo series and aim to collect the most stat-boosts for the upper hand in the final Smash match that follows. Although I do enjoy the new single-player modes, I am disappointed with the lack of a story-based adventure, as Subspace Emissary was one of my favorite parts of Brawl.

Multiplayer, the crux of all Smash games, unfortunately suffers from an issue many modern games face: lag, the much despised byproduct of online multiplayer. Although lag is to be expected from online Wi-Fi matches, it also manages to sneak its devilish way into local multiplayer, tarnishing a handful of the many matches my friends and I played during our frantic release week Smash binges. The effects of lag in SSB3DS matches are also rather extreme; out of nowhere, a high-intensity match may be stricken with an unbelievably sluggish framerate as Wi-Fi connections struggle to keep up with one another. However, despite these problems, I am no stranger to lag and still find multiplayer to be just as enjoyable as the rest of the game. That is, unless the three other players are all using Little Mac. In that case, maybe the temporary ban for leaving a match early is worth it.

All in all, SSB3DS has most of what I was looking for in a portable Smash experience. Though it lacks a few familiar elements its predecessors had, I still find it to be well-rounded both competitively and casually and also easy for both Smash veterans and newcomers to play. I would whole-heartedly recommend SSB3DS to anyone looking to return to the series or begin playing it, due to its rather low price of forty dollars and its console appeal (because honestly, who even cares about the Wii U version of Smash 4, right?)

(I’m totally joking though guys someone buy me a Wii U please you’ll make me the happiest girl at the prom)
  60. Oct 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review has been truncated to fit the limits of this website! Check us out for the whole thing! Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3ds is definitely a long awaited title! Welcome to the long awaited review of Super Smash Bros 4 or Super Smash Bros for 3ds. Super Smash Bros 3ds took a long time to cook, but it was definitely worth the wait. If you've read up on recent game releases you can see that the Nintendo 3DS has not had a long list of exemplary titles. Despite being a great, durable system with outstanding first party priority support from Nintendo, the third party contribution from non-Nintendo companies is lacking. This is mostly because Nintendo enforces strict guidelines on who can produce on their system, leaving a lot of lesser, less reputable companies in the dust. So considering that, its not hard to see why many of us did not need advertisement to buy Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3ds. In a way, the game couldn't lose because everyone knows its the game to get. True smash brothers would have bought the game no matter what, because we are so confident we would not be disappointed with Smash Bros.

That being said, Super Smash Bros. for the 3ds does not, in fact, dissapoint. There is a new Smash Run mode and a new spin on the classic solo experience. Also included is a challenge mode, a street pass “Street Smash” mode, Wii U connectivity, online or local, singleplayer and multiplayer. On top of all of that, the game oozes with extras such as stat tracking, items, replays, trophies, sounds even snapshots you can share with your 3ds friends! Because of these new features, taking and sharing replays or snapshots have never been this easy for competitive and casual gamers alike. Being able to share your unique experiences with others opens its own world, hopefully encouraging a wave of new player Smash Bros.!

The core mechanics are great, smashing your friends has never been this much fun. The vast array of characters make this a title that will capture a lot of gamers hearts. There's literally something for everyone - old or young - due to its diverse cast of characters. Included is the addition of Mega Man, Pac Man and even the Duck Hunt Dog! The programmers have chosen to super refine the game to create a product that was all about the smashing. The fighter base is also, at least in these beginning phases, thought to be very well balanced and well adjusted. Couple it with all of the different possibilities new equipment can provide, and you truly have the best fighting experience of them all.

The game allows players to use their Miis and customize them extensively, as well. You may select from three different styles, each totally unique from the other, making your Mii an original creation. The level of detail involved in the Mii customization is actually quite surprising. I was not expecting to be so impressed, but it is actually quite fun to create yourself or your friends, or Miis you just made up to play against your other characters! On top of that, there is still the whole world of equipment to explore, as well including cosmetic gear and things that alter your abilities. This is, personally, one of the most entertaining parts of the games for me. Why not let out some aggression on grandma? The only unfortunate thing is there is no Stage Creator as seen in previous games; however, the decision to focus on the cast of characters, was the correct one.

Earning achievements earn players rewards as well as a name on the leadership boards - encouraging completion and expanding the play time of the game significantly. Something about getting ALL achievements is so satisfying; game developers have definitely figured that out. Games like Super Smash Bros. have been stringing the proverbial carrot for a long time. I'm glad Nintendo has done such a great job integrating the game and going through great lengths to make it appealing for the classic Nintendo customer. Characters possess more complex move-sets than ever before, and the rewards you get only serve to further improve the selection and levels of customization.

The amount of content in this game is truly stunning. At first, it can be a bit disappointing knowing there is so much you have yet to earn, but its well worth the wait. The game offers plenty to enjoy straight out of the box! There are at least four costumes to every character, with certain characters having totally unique skins altogether - for the first time ever. Such as Olimar/Alph or choosing dark link or divine link. Most of the experience actually comes from playing the game, as there's not much plot to speak of. I definitely recommend Super Smash Bros. For 3ds to anyone with a 3ds. It's a title that is sure to give a lot of joy for a long time and is definitely set to be a heavy hitter.
  61. Oct 23, 2014
    i am actually planning on buying this game today and i hope that its as great as you all said itd be. cant wait to get it. i heard that there is no story mode though and of how we still have to unlock characters in order to get them. having no story mode upsets me.
  62. Oct 16, 2014
    Let's start with the positives. The game looks great. Probably the best-looking on the 3DS.

And.. that's about it. Early on, Nintendo should have realized that the 3DS layout was less than ideal, especially for a fanbase like the Smash Bros. Community, who are picky enough about controls as it is. At first, the fans were ecstatic at the prospect of Smash Bros. on a handheld, but

And.. that's about it.

Early on, Nintendo should have realized that the 3DS layout was less than ideal, especially for a fanbase like the Smash Bros. Community, who are picky enough about controls as it is. At first, the fans were ecstatic at the prospect of Smash Bros. on a handheld, but seriously, they're Nintendo. They should know better.

The stages are too small. There are two reasonable excuses for this: 1) The screen is too small, so a huge, fun stage would make it impossible to see your characters. 2) The hardware just can't handle that many polygons on the screen at once.

The solution: my very first complaint.

The biggest problem is simple. The cast is just unbalanced. I can see at least five characters getting banned in tournaments as is, that is, if they even consider a handheld game eligible for tournament play.

For clarity, Little Mac is not OP. Just stick to the edges and try not to get launched. If you're at the edge, you've cut his moveset in half because otherwise he'll just launch himself over the edge like Wil E. Coyote.

However, Rosalina, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Captain Falcon, and Yoshi (Yeah, that's right. Yoshi.) are all disgusting. If I ever see one in a match I just jump off the edge and kill myself out of pure principle. If they don't want to play fair, they don't get to play at all. I don't care if my ranking takes a gigantic "an hero." I refuse to play with legitimized cheaters.

What's worse is that you could easily fix three out of these five characters.

Make Rosalina more like Ice Climbers, in that she's practically helpless without a Luma. Make her normal attacks weaker and make her recovery less effective whenever the opponent manages to kill Luma. That's a distinct weakness that would balance out her ridiculous range, power, and knockback.

Slow Yoshi down. His new character model automatically makes it easier for him to connect with hits, and he has a solid range-game too. It's all he needs.

You can make Captain Falcon fair by automatically knocking off one of his lives whenever a match starts. He just sucks.

Zero Suit Samus and Sheik just need to be scrapped. Sorry. It's true. They are just too fast, too strong, and too hard to hit.

For a character to be balanced, they should probably have two big strengths and one big weakness. Fox (My former main. "Former" because he got NEUTERED) is fast, can dish out damage, but has horrible knockback. He needs to get his enemies up to 200 before he can reasonable KO them.

Shulk (My new main) has cool Monado arts, meaning he can alter his stats at will and keep the enemy guessing. In a way, that's FIVE STRENGTHS if you know how to use them all. His weakness is that it's a tad difficult to pick the art you want and you've vulnerable at the time. Also, he's about as slow with his attacks as Ike.

Balance isn't hard, so why did Nintendo butcher the old cast to make the newcomers seem better?

Wait. I think I just answered my own question.
  63. Oct 3, 2014
    Everything smash bros has ever been and better. Hard to believe it works this well on a handheld.

Who would have thought that we'd ever see Sonic, Mario, Megaman, and Pacman in the same game? Welcome to the future.
    Welcome to Smash Bros.
  64. Oct 10, 2014
    This game is fantastic!! About 48 characters and several fun and enjoyable stages with better mechanics than brawl (even though it is similar)! The graphics are quite impressive, especially when the majority of the game runs at a magical 60fps(except assist trophies)! Smash run is a wonderful mode and classic mode has been revamped to be less linear.Plus, all modes are fantastic for on theThis game is fantastic!! About 48 characters and several fun and enjoyable stages with better mechanics than brawl (even though it is similar)! The graphics are quite impressive, especially when the majority of the game runs at a magical 60fps(except assist trophies)! Smash run is a wonderful mode and classic mode has been revamped to be less linear.Plus, all modes are fantastic for on the go gaming, and local multiplayer ran relatively well! The only flaw that is noticeable is the online play, yet it improves heavily over brawl (net code is similar to injustice rather than a Bandi Namco game XP). Usually, the online is pretty smooth, but for some reason, when with 4 friends, 1 out of 5 or 6 games drop which is not exactly great. The online modes are nice splitting the competitive and casual parts into For Glory and For Fun respectively and both were enjoyable. Overall, this game is worthwhile, even for some, it is a holdover for Smash on Wii U, but even so, this is one hell of a holdover. Expand
  65. Oct 4, 2014
    There is so much to do, you won't know where to start. So many characters, you won't know who to play. It's the ultimate Nintendo game every fan should have. Gameplay has been balanced. No more random tripping, edge hogging, or unnatural floating. Don't believe people when they say this is just a taste of the Wii U; The 3DS is a complete package. Unlike the the Wii U version, you canThere is so much to do, you won't know where to start. So many characters, you won't know who to play. It's the ultimate Nintendo game every fan should have. Gameplay has been balanced. No more random tripping, edge hogging, or unnatural floating. Don't believe people when they say this is just a taste of the Wii U; The 3DS is a complete package. Unlike the the Wii U version, you can listen to tunes on sleep mode, play mini games with strangers you meet, and Smash Run (i.e. A randomized side scroller similar to Melee's adventure mode.) Expand
  66. Oct 5, 2014
    Normally I wait until I've beaten a game to write a review, but Smash Brothers is not a game that you "beat". It's a game that you come back to, time after time, because you find the concept itself appealing, such that you don't need dramatic characters or a complex storyline to supplement the game. Smash Brothers is a brawler, and nothing else. The reason I give this game a 10 is becauseNormally I wait until I've beaten a game to write a review, but Smash Brothers is not a game that you "beat". It's a game that you come back to, time after time, because you find the concept itself appealing, such that you don't need dramatic characters or a complex storyline to supplement the game. Smash Brothers is a brawler, and nothing else. The reason I give this game a 10 is because it absolutely delivers on everything that is promised. I wanted a Smash Brothers game that I could carry in my pocket and this game certainly provides that. Nothing has been ticked back in order to bring the game to the handheld- the graphics are stellar, the framerate is stellar, and the sheer overwhelming number of combatants can almost be considered to be "too many". What I've enjoyed most so far in my 8+ hours of gameplay is that there are so many different single player modes. You have the classic mode, vs. mode, All Star Mode, bomb challenges, and others. Plus, the sheer amount of custom changes you can make to this game all but ensures that you will never, ever, experience all that Smash Brothers has to offer. If you consider that between the 50+ fighters and the 4 different types of moves with 3 different moves for each type, you could theoretically never play the same fighter twice. There is absolutely no reason why every 3DS owner should not purchase a copy of this game. It sincerely delivers on every level. Expand
  67. Oct 4, 2014
    This game offers an amazing amount of content and graphical fidelity for a 3ds game. With the roaster being over 30 characters and having additional game modes like smash run and classic mode. Problem is: how well is smash bros in a competitive standpoint? As a competitive smash player myself having over 2 years of competitive smash experience I can say no. It plays very much like brawlThis game offers an amazing amount of content and graphical fidelity for a 3ds game. With the roaster being over 30 characters and having additional game modes like smash run and classic mode. Problem is: how well is smash bros in a competitive standpoint? As a competitive smash player myself having over 2 years of competitive smash experience I can say no. It plays very much like brawl but without the floaty movement and tripping. And this creates another large issue and that's how future competitive play may evolve for smash 4. As taking notes from the lv. 9 bots they love to shield spam and dodge spam making faster characters even more op than they were in melee/project m. But surprisingly it plays really well on the circle pad. And if it doesn't it is very easy to get used to it. Another issue i've had is the multiplayer. If you play a game online with strangers there's a 50/50 chance the game will be unplayable due to lag from either you or your opponent (or from the netcode but I digress) and if you do decide to quit mid game either from lag or from rage quitting. It bans you without any warning for about 30 minutes. This wouldn't be an issue as playing with friends online is far more enjoyable but it bans you from playing with friends aswell. If you're coming from the casual scene you'll love smash on the 3ds (or if you want great value in a 3ds game) if you're like me and want something more competitively balanced: either wait a year for a project m mod for smash 4, or wait a few months to see how the wii u version stacks. Expand
  68. Oct 9, 2014
    Nintendo's decision to bring Smash Bros. to the 3DS family is, in part, smart business. 3DS market saturation is perfectly situated to take advantage of the game's 'easy to play, impossible to master' nature. Many were worried about the handheld port's ability to carry the legacy of fun, fast, and competitive gameplay. In my own opinion, Smash 3DS is a huge success; the handheldNintendo's decision to bring Smash Bros. to the 3DS family is, in part, smart business. 3DS market saturation is perfectly situated to take advantage of the game's 'easy to play, impossible to master' nature. Many were worried about the handheld port's ability to carry the legacy of fun, fast, and competitive gameplay. In my own opinion, Smash 3DS is a huge success; the handheld experience doesn't feel like it has lost any of its home console predecessor's fluidity and charm. The only component of Smash's 3DS sibling that feels inferior is, understandably, the control scheme. The transition from a full sized controller to the handheld could be a disappointment for Smash's competitive, tournament players. But, for the general population of the games' fanbase; the handheld's control scheme will be of little importance compared to the enjoyment of the core gameplay that if faithfully represented. This isn't a handheld Smash Bros. spin-off, it's the real thing; and I couldn't be happier with it.

The game itself is a faithful upgrade from Brawl. New and returning characters, modes, stages, and items combine to make this version feel like the biggest upgrade in the franchise to date. New characters and optional special customization will keep some people arguing over tier lists for a while. I'll just be practicing and having fun with, I think, the best game this year (so far).

The Wii U version will give us a more accurate idea of what the 3DS version is really missing out on in a 1:1 comparison of the newest version of Smash. My guess is that the Wii U Smash's visuals will be a new high point for Nintendo, and that the home version will have a more compelling exclusive mode. The two will probably end up being identical complements to me; at home for pretty graphics and tighter controls, and on the go for convenient practice and killing time on the train.
  69. Oct 3, 2014
    Super fun, polished, beautiful, addicting, perfect gameplay,... The first handheld version of Smash Bros. is a success. And hell, it's Smash Bros., what else do you need.
  70. Oct 4, 2014
    The game is like a perfect blend of Melee and Brawl, and so far, I have loved every single minute of it. Sakurai has done again what many series' wish they could do, and that is to keep it fresh. I never once was bored of the game when I played. Each of the newcomers are very welcome additions, making this a near-perfect roster in my eyes. Even the veterans feel fresh and new. With all theThe game is like a perfect blend of Melee and Brawl, and so far, I have loved every single minute of it. Sakurai has done again what many series' wish they could do, and that is to keep it fresh. I never once was bored of the game when I played. Each of the newcomers are very welcome additions, making this a near-perfect roster in my eyes. Even the veterans feel fresh and new. With all the new modes added to this version of the game, it more than makes up for having no story mode. My one complaint, and it is minor, is that the online play lags much more than I would like it to. However, the game is new and players are probably spending every minute playing the online, so I'm going to wait until it cools down before giving another real shot. All-in-all, Smash 4 is the best game since Melee, and trust me, it was totally worth the wait. Expand
  71. Oct 3, 2014
    Without any doubt the best battle action game for Nintendo 3DS by far. I've been playing Smash Bros since the N64 one and have it now in a portable console is like a dream coming true.
  72. Oct 10, 2014
    First off this is a portable version of Super Smash Bros so to compare it to the console versions is unfair so you have to give Nintendo a few breaks. The characters has to be small so they can fit on the 3DS XL. To all who have the original 3DS Smash will be hard to play. Hopefully the new 3DS XL with the second stick and faster processing speed will address the problems. With that saidFirst off this is a portable version of Super Smash Bros so to compare it to the console versions is unfair so you have to give Nintendo a few breaks. The characters has to be small so they can fit on the 3DS XL. To all who have the original 3DS Smash will be hard to play. Hopefully the new 3DS XL with the second stick and faster processing speed will address the problems. With that said it is a fun game. Expand
  73. Oct 3, 2014
    This is a worth Super Smash Bros. franchise! It's now come in handy, playing in anywhere, anytime! Still use the Brawl formulas, but it's very recommended for those who can't buy a Wii U and only had Nintendo 3DS.
  74. Oct 3, 2014
    So, going to say this first and foremost; this game is a smash bros game, but it is not a console smash bros game. The reason I say this is because if they make another portable smash bros it will more than likely be about as good as ssb4 for the 3ds, but not as good as a console smash bros. The controls are tight, and if you are careful you can keep your circle pad intact by just flickingSo, going to say this first and foremost; this game is a smash bros game, but it is not a console smash bros game. The reason I say this is because if they make another portable smash bros it will more than likely be about as good as ssb4 for the 3ds, but not as good as a console smash bros. The controls are tight, and if you are careful you can keep your circle pad intact by just flicking it up or down without overdoing it. But the game requires a bit of finesse in order to not destroy your controls. There is of course the multiplayer lag that it is bound to have given the hardware limitations.

So basically what I am trying to say is this: if you are expecting brawl on a portable console, prepare to have a reality check. If you want a solid fighter for the 3ds that you can have fun with your friends playing or just have fun by yourself anytime or anywhere then this is a good game. The game is not the same caliber as a console smash, but is by far better than any other fighter on a handheld, and a lot of console fighters.
  75. Oct 8, 2014
    So I bought the game, even though I am not the biggest Nintendo fan, nor fighting games enthusiast. I gotta say: WOW. So much content, so deep gameplay, so much to do... I'm amazed. This is truly one of the most polished games on Nintendo 3DS, and it's extremely fun. Just taking time to explore the possibilities gives me chills. This is easily 10/10, though I have to admit that the lack ofSo I bought the game, even though I am not the biggest Nintendo fan, nor fighting games enthusiast. I gotta say: WOW. So much content, so deep gameplay, so much to do... I'm amazed. This is truly one of the most polished games on Nintendo 3DS, and it's extremely fun. Just taking time to explore the possibilities gives me chills. This is easily 10/10, though I have to admit that the lack of some kind of story mode separate for every character is a downside for me, though given all the alternatives it's really easy to forgive. Especially that you can just fire a simple offline or online smash and have a blast, since there's a lot of fun, unpredictable situations that the game can spawn for you... especially when you're a beginner and choose to randomize everything. Again, WOW. Go buy it. Expand
  76. Oct 16, 2014
    By far my favorite experience on a 3DS. Looks good with the 3d on or off. Once I start playing I must force myself to stop. This is a great way to release Smash Bros. excitement before the Wii U version comes out!
  77. Oct 13, 2014
    Super Smash Bros for 3DS is out and it is a good game. If you own a 3DS, it is worth buying. If you don't own a 3DS, it is still worth getting it. There are a few Complaints I have though.
    1. Remember when Brawl came out and had a game vault where you could play NES, SNES, and N64 games for a little time? I might be the only one who remembers it, but I liked it. Why didn't they bring it back, but It doesn't matter that much.
    2. Characters. This is a huge annoyance. 51 characters! Awesome right? How many will you actually use. Maybe 20. They didn't bring the awesome characters back from Melee. Where is MewTwo? Where is Pichu? No, instead let's bring back Dr. Mario. What? I love Greninja, but I want to play as Mewtwo. You know, the most powerful weapon that Team Rocket had in the First Season! Pichu was terrible, but was adorable.
    3. This I can't blame for, because it doesn't matter, but the onlin multiplayer. It is laggy. It can go at like 2 frames per second, which is very very slow compared to the individual player 60 frames per seconds. You can't take points off for this because remember when there wasn't online play at all.

I love this game and it's addicting. Don't let the bad reviews fool you. This is an awesome game.
  78. Oct 9, 2014
    First off I would not recommend playing this game on a regular 3DS. Even on the XL the characters can be a bit small at times when the camera shifts for larger stages. That aside this game is awesome. The game is very fast and the audio and graphics are both excellent.

The roster is enormous and you can feel the oomph in every character's attacks, something I felt is lacking in other similar games. Like earlier iterations there are great mini games including an Angry Birds knock off and good ol' home-run contest which I sunk an hour into before even touching the main game.

The biggest new feature in this version of smash is the customizable Mii fighters and move sets for the traditional characters. You can re-create some 3rd party or real life homage characters with some imagination. This can be a lot of fun in and of itself.

For anyone that owns a 3ds and not a Wii U that is even remotely interested in fighting games I would highly suggest this game. Wii U owners that aren't big Smash/Nintendo fans I would definitely wait for the Wii U version.
  79. Oct 6, 2014
    The single player experience is impressive! Entertaining game modes and a pleasant roster of new characters makes this an AWESOME portable fighter. Multiplayer is a diamond in the rough when playing 4 player brawls online, however. Other that that, Super Smash Bros 3DS makes for a captivating entry in the Smash Bros Series.
    Tip: If you played Brawl with just the Wiimote and are finding it
    Tip: If you played Brawl with just the Wiimote and are finding it difficult to adjust to the controls, try this method: configure Y for Specials, A for standard attacks, and X and B for jumping.
  80. Oct 6, 2014
    Smash Bros. for 3DS is easily my favorite Smash Bros game and game of the year. Assuming you know how to play Smash Bros, I will talk about the new mechanics. Smash Bros adds a few new mechanics and returns some. Teching and DI have returned. While a new mechanic, Vectoring has been added, the more interesting mechanic is ledge grabbing. Now, even if someone is on a ledge, you can grab theSmash Bros. for 3DS is easily my favorite Smash Bros game and game of the year. Assuming you know how to play Smash Bros, I will talk about the new mechanics. Smash Bros adds a few new mechanics and returns some. Teching and DI have returned. While a new mechanic, Vectoring has been added, the more interesting mechanic is ledge grabbing. Now, even if someone is on a ledge, you can grab the ledge but throw the other person off. This marks the end of ledge guarding, which leads to more possibilities in-game. All of these mechanics make one of the best Smash Bros game. Expand
  81. Oct 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A well polished and out together game. While it is still a regression from the first two games, 64 and Melee, it is a huge step up from Brawl technically. While Brawl looked worse than Melee because of it's attempt to create a more visually gritty and less colorful world, this game succeeds in bringing back the games unique, smooth, childlike atmosphere that many love the game for. The roster itself is a mixed bag. Pac-Man is stupid, Mega-Man is plain boring and takes out all the fun when I play as him, Dark Pit is just... What? Palutena is also extremely stupid and there is no reason for her to be added. Why does this game have 3 characters from a series with a single game and a reboot? But at the same time, the fact that Megaman is actually IN the game is awesome, Shulk is awesome, Dark Pit is pretty fun to play, and Dr.Mario has Mario's old move set from Melee, which is awesome. Duck Hunt Dog may seem like a joke character, but is actually extremely fun to play. Greninja is super fun, Robin is super unique and fun to play, but Lucina is Marth, but easier to use and less rewarding. Little Mac is a great novelty character who is fun to play, and Villager is hilarious. But the fact that Ice Climbers were taken out of the game is disappointing. So the roster is pretty good, despite the intentional clones. The gameplay is a great as usual for a, but the pace is still too slow to make it a viable tourney fighter like Melee and 64. It won't live as long as Melee, but the fact that it's portable is a huge boon and it is super fun as always. It controls good and is fun. But ledge stealing SUCKS!!!!! Expand
  82. Oct 3, 2014
    Super Smash Bros for 3DS is an amazing and super fun game, character roster is very big there are over 40 characters and that's pretty cool. Controls are pretty easy to learn, but hard to master. The good thing is that once you learn how to do smashes and attacks it gets even more fun, isn't it great to have an amazing combo? There are several modes in games like homerun where you have toSuper Smash Bros for 3DS is an amazing and super fun game, character roster is very big there are over 40 characters and that's pretty cool. Controls are pretty easy to learn, but hard to master. The good thing is that once you learn how to do smashes and attacks it gets even more fun, isn't it great to have an amazing combo? There are several modes in games like homerun where you have to throw the white "thing" as far as you can and the most interesting, the smash run. In smash run you don't engage with other players from start, instead you have to defeat enemies to increase your stats and after time is over the smash battle begins. Well bad thing is that what you ill get in the end is completely random, so if you were working to max out your attack stat you're going to be disappointed if you get a race in the end. Despite that everything in this game is amazing, there are a lot of characters you can customize,a lot of maps and collectibles.Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is totally worth the 40$ price, if you like nintendo characters and/or fighting games this is a must have for you. I'm not a fan of fighting games but this game is just amazing...go and get it, go and get it, it's as easy as that. Expand
  83. Oct 4, 2014
    Game play wise, this is pretty much what you expect. In true Nintendo fashion, there's nothing really new here, but that's not really what we wanted anyway. More importantly, the game translates to the 3DS great, which was a big fear of mine. Also, the level of online integration they put on this game is AMAZING, particularly for Nintendo. Online play that works great and is super smooth,Game play wise, this is pretty much what you expect. In true Nintendo fashion, there's nothing really new here, but that's not really what we wanted anyway. More importantly, the game translates to the 3DS great, which was a big fear of mine. Also, the level of online integration they put on this game is AMAZING, particularly for Nintendo. Online play that works great and is super smooth, the ability to link up with a WiiU for use as a controller, and the ability to incorporate your own Miis into the game is fantastic. I had to give the game a bonus point just for all of that since that's something Nintendo is usually super scared of. A definite must own for any Smash Bros. fan and DS owner. Expand
  84. Oct 9, 2014
    Everything about this game just feels right.
    First off, I am just going to point out that the performance of the game is very consistent. It has the occasional lag (usually with Pac-Man's sprite spam on the screen.)
    The combat..my god! so fluent and fast paced. The game types are also great. Everything is well balanced without taking it to the extreme. For example : Smash - Choose a
    Everything about this game just feels right.
    The combat..my god! so fluent and fast paced.

For example :
    Smash - Choose a Character, set CPU's, beat the **** out of them. Nothing more to it.
    Classic Mode - short, but rewarding and nothing that makes it boring or tedious.
    Smash Run - "oh no not another Brawl adventure" false alarm. Its a timed gauntlet which too, is rewarding and feels good to end it with a random battle with 3 CPU's afterwards. Once completed, you claim the rewards that you gathered during the game.
    Home Run Contest - Still the same as the previous games
    Target Blast - A new approach to break the targets, but instead hit a bomb into a cluster of them.
    Multi Man Smash - (forgot exactly what it was called) but again, like Melee and Brawl. Has the exact same sub game types within. Just no more 15 minute melee lol.

Its tough to explain everything that I like about this game because there is so much. but I'll add the pro's and con's here.

+ fluent combat
    + fast paced combat
    + extremely rewarding for every game type
    + every character has an attribute to make you want to play them.
    + challenges. Yes they're back!
    + wide range of characters
    + lots of unlockables
    + customization. Unlock gear/move sets for each character, then you can equip them.
    + Graphics look unreal for 3DS standard.

- laggy online play. It usually doesnt connect at all. (at this point anyway)
    - menu navigation can be confusing. I seem to notice myself frantically looking for certain game types because there are quite a few sub menu's
    - character/stage unlocks are quite easy, but I guess it was with the previous games aswell.

Overall, Great game. I've found it hard to put it down and I'm sure everyone who has this game would be happy that Smash Bro's is back in business! Highly recommend!
  85. Oct 3, 2014
    I was a bit skeptical about Smash coming to the 3DS, but those doubts were instantly put aside when playing against a few friends in our living room. The 3DS manages to maintain 60fps without a hitch, and the game looks & feels stunning because of it.

The roster is the best we've seen in a Smash so far, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Wii U version turns out.
  86. Oct 6, 2014
    The characters added to this instalment are fun to play and the controls are more comfortable than Brawl's Nunchuk-Wiimote combo. There are lots of different, fun modes to play however it does not contain a story mode like Subspace Emissary which added to the re-playability of brawl. There are also not enough stages and too many characters are given to you at the beginning which also takesThe characters added to this instalment are fun to play and the controls are more comfortable than Brawl's Nunchuk-Wiimote combo. There are lots of different, fun modes to play however it does not contain a story mode like Subspace Emissary which added to the re-playability of brawl. There are also not enough stages and too many characters are given to you at the beginning which also takes away from re-playability. I am a sucker for Smash Bros though and iI conclude that this, with Mario Bros, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing is a must have for the 3DS system. Expand
  87. Oct 12, 2014
    not very good. such a waste in my opinion. so many characters that are just useless. lets get rid of mewtwo and keep jigglypuff, lets put in wii fit trainer and villager. wtf? poor decisions have led to a pretty much poor game.
  88. Oct 3, 2014
    Absolutely flawless game.
    It has fantastic graphics,awesome characters and game play.
    Tied for the best game i have ever played on the 3ds, with the other being kid icarus.
  89. Oct 5, 2014
    Unlike most hyped up games, smash bros 4 lives up to the hype, its amazing. you can't not have fun with the game. It's responsive, fun, and well worth its price.
  90. Oct 4, 2014
    An excellent game and easily one of the best games on the 3DS.

The game feels and plays exactly like a Smash game on a console (except for C-Stick). The controls are extremely easy to get into and are very intuitive. The character roster is great despite some odd additions (Dark Pit) and it has probably the hardest boss in the history of Smash. The gameplay is good old Smash, which
    An excellent game and easily one of the best games on the 3DS.

The gameplay is good old Smash, which is short term for excellent. You will spend hours upon hours playing this game either playing with your buddies, with the AI (it's competent) or unlocking characters throughout the game. Smash Run is a very fun mode as you can pretty much lose yourself in this huge map while powering up your character and is utter chaos with friends. The ability to create your own Mii Fighter with custom moves is awesome as well as customizing existing characters to your liking (at least when it comes to special moves).

However, it does have some iffy parts. The single player experience is slightly nerfed from the previous two game when it comes to content or length. Classic Mode is very short and Smash Run alone can get boring after awhile and Smash Run not being able to play online does not help things. The multiplayer experience has also seen a decrease. Special Brawl is nowhere to be seen and Tournament Mode is also missing. The stages are a downgrade from Brawl and Melee as there only a few stages that are legit chaos.

Despite those issues, Smash Bros for 3DS is definitely worth your time and is one of the best games on the 3DS hands down.
  91. Oct 28, 2014
    Serious problems with multiplayer and nothing really new at the horizon , make this title just an everage one, of course unless you are Nintendo fan I guess
  92. Oct 31, 2014
    All in all, an good effort for Nintendo, despite some flaws that I will comment on.
    First, the game modes. I´ ll rate it an 9/10, cause of lack of game modes.
    Second, On line. I rate this an 7/10, because about the insane lag sometimes, and in others it is lag-free. Third, the controls. 8/10, cause of some weird controls setups, like two buttons for jumping and taunts for the d-pad!
    First, the game modes. I´ ll rate it an 9/10, cause of lack of game modes.
    4- characters selection: 7/10. While they choose most of the characters right, there are some series over-represented, like Mario(8 or 9), Link(5), and Fire emblem(4).
    5- Balance: 6/10 Now is this cause of the number of characters or the fact that some of the fighters move set are OP in comparison to others?
    Game play: 9/10 Only reason it isn't ten cause of not fully utilizing the controls.
    Overall:~8/10
  93. Oct 5, 2014
    Fantastic, as one would expect. However, the lack of any meaningful single player mode (such as what Brawl offered) really hurts the overall package for me.

Also, no Isaac or Ridley as playable characters
  94. Oct 6, 2014
    Hard to believe Super Smash Bros. as a series is over fifteen years old! I'm proud to say that I've been a huge fan for fourteen of those fifteen years.

A GOOD handheld version of Smash Bros. has always been a dream of mine since Melee released, and with Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, I can say that dream has finally come true. Gameplay is excellent and really brings back the competitive feel that Brawl was lacking. Visuals, for a handheld, are superb. The music, as with every Smash Bros. game, is top-notch. Having in-depth online functionality that works well (Brawl's online was horrible, but I blame the console not the game) is what really brings the game to the next level in my opinion.

However, no game is perfect, so as expected there are a few criticisms I have with the game. The first criticism I have is that using the 3DS's controls feels incredibly weird to someone like me who has been using a Gamecube controller since 2001. It's not really the games fault since it's limited to the 3DS's control scheme, but I never really feel like I'm at the top of my game when I play.

Second, online matches can be extremely slow and choppy even when I'm right next to my router. This is coming from a guy with extremely fast internet, so it's frustrating to me when matches seem to play in slow-motion. Local play has been perfectly fine for me so far.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this iteration of Smash Bros. and even more pleased to say it corrects nearly all of what Brawl got wrong. Is it as good as Melee? I'll have to wait and see when the Wii U version releases. But from what I've seen from the 3DS version, there is a very good chance that it will top Melee in my books.
  95. Oct 14, 2014
    This game is just so much fun playing online 1 vs. 1. for glory. So much fun. I haven't had this much fun with a video game for months. Definitely a must buy game for every 3DS owner. Sadly I have to give one minus point because the online does not work all the time and sometimes the online is a little laggy. When the online works though, it is a blast! As for the single player game. MehThis game is just so much fun playing online 1 vs. 1. for glory. So much fun. I haven't had this much fun with a video game for months. Definitely a must buy game for every 3DS owner. Sadly I have to give one minus point because the online does not work all the time and sometimes the online is a little laggy. When the online works though, it is a blast! As for the single player game. Meh it's ok I guess but the online is where it's at. Expand
  96. Oct 12, 2014
    This game was everything I wanted, so most of my complaints can be summed up to the fact that I wish I had even more characters. I've been playing Smash Brothers since the first game on the N64 (I don't play competitively, but I've played some incredibly intense matches with friends at parties), and even with the hype before the release, I can soundly say that this game holds up as aThis game was everything I wanted, so most of my complaints can be summed up to the fact that I wish I had even more characters. I've been playing Smash Brothers since the first game on the N64 (I don't play competitively, but I've played some incredibly intense matches with friends at parties), and even with the hype before the release, I can soundly say that this game holds up as a beautiful entry to the franchise, especially for it's first handheld release.

I play on a 3DS XL, and the controls do take some getting used to, but for me, coming from the gamecube controllers, this only took 5-10 minutes before I was correctly using smash attacks separately from my B attacks, and rolling and dodging like I have in every game before. The screen is perfect for me (this clearly varies from person to person), but I can always maintain what's going on and where all the characters are, even in 4 player matches. The game is beautiful. It runs at 60fps as you've undoubtedly heard, and it looks glorious. The 3D is cool, sometimes, it certainly doesn't subtract from the experience. The online is my only legitimate gripe. I have a solid 60+ Mb/s internet connection, so I generally have great online matches, even 4 player matches, but every other game, someone will have a terrible connection and it will make the gameplay lag considerably. However, while it certainly does take away from the experience, I did win a lot of those matches just because I was consistent with my gameplay, with and without the lag. Basically, it doesn't break the game, but it turns a 2 minute match into a stuttering 3 minute nightmare. But again, this didn't happen the majority of the time, and my online multiplayer experience has been solid. Also, my girlfriend has gotten really into the Spectate mode, where you can watch and actively bet your gold on who you think the winner will be. She loves it.

If you enjoyed collecting in the previous games, then you're kind of in luck. There are over 600 trophies to collect, and the game is pretty generous about handing them out. Music isn't something you collect anymore (with the exception of a handful of songs you unlock off the challenges panels). Stickers have been replaced by equipment for your Mii characters, which I honestly don't care too much for. I haven't played any custom matches with custom stats, I just don't see the point, maybe other people will. Oh, and the Mii characters are awesome. All of the characters are awesome as a matter of fact. I found all of the new entries, and even some of the veterans who have been changed up, to be very fun and effective in combat in their own way (I would say "balanced" here, but I don't want to piss off any competitive players who might disagree with that). The cloned characters are kind of bummer, but at the end of the day, it's 3 more characters the we could have possibly not had altogether. Some people might say that would still be preferable, but I like playing as them, even if they are clones, so whatever. The Mii Characters, which allow you to make custom brawlers using three different fighting styles and even let you customize their move-set's by choosing your favorite out of 3 for each B-Special attack. You can also dress your Mii's up with that equipment I mentioned earlier, but I was nearly horrified to discover I couldn't dress up my Mii's in overalls and gloves (I was trying to create a Waluigi Mii). This broke my heart. The alternative costumes for the non-mii characters are sick, with some missed opportunities nonetheless (Zelda should have had a Hilda costume, and it would have been crazy to see a Ms. PacMan costume), but this is a complaint that I feel like stems from me just wanting even more than I deserve from this game at this point. The stages are great, I enjoy all of them, especially now that you can choose to play on a "Final Destination" version of any of the selectable stages. It's a dream to me, I've probably played 75% of my matches throughout the last two games on that stage. It's flat, it's perfect. The Items are great, but it's definitely appreciated that I can turn them off. As far as single player goes, only Classic mode and All-Star mode make a return. I'm fine with that, but some people might miss the adventure modes of games past. Oh, I forgot to talk about Smash Run. It's okay. I haven't played it with anyone else, but it's a lacking single player experience in my opinion, especially when half of these matches are Races to the Finish. It's something I haven't spent much time with, simply because I don't think it's that fun of a mode.
    All in all, though, this is my favorite 3DS game now. It's currently my favorite Smash Brothers game, and I will go as far as saying that it even convinced me to finally get a Wii U, just in time for the console version of this game. It's a beautifully crafted game that is The-Must-Have game for the 3DS, like every Smash Brothers game normally is for it's respective console.
  97. Oct 26, 2014
    It's not the best Smash Bros to date, but for a handheld version, it plays well. Smooth controls, fun gameplay, good graphics (for a 3DS game), and fun new modes. Although, I will point out that I have experienced heavy lag in online play during several sessions. It's an annoyance, but I can't complain too much since this is a pretty heavy game for a 3DS. But, overall, a solid Smash BrosIt's not the best Smash Bros to date, but for a handheld version, it plays well. Smooth controls, fun gameplay, good graphics (for a 3DS game), and fun new modes. Although, I will point out that I have experienced heavy lag in online play during several sessions. It's an annoyance, but I can't complain too much since this is a pretty heavy game for a 3DS. But, overall, a solid Smash Bros title and a must have for 3DS owners. Expand
  98. Oct 7, 2014
    Just an unbelievable game on a portable console. How they managed to fit all this content with the exception of a few cut characters is beyond me. The lag while playing online is still there, and that is the only big complaint I have with the game. But playing so much of it makes me that more excited for the Wii U version.
  99. Oct 27, 2014
    This game meets all expectations, and delivers hours of content. The only reason it doesn't get a full score is because of the UI, and options available for custom content. Custom move sets are available to each character, but they have tied these moves to incredibly unbalanced stat changing gear. Therefore, it is impossible to enable custom moves because online nobody has the customThis game meets all expectations, and delivers hours of content. The only reason it doesn't get a full score is because of the UI, and options available for custom content. Custom move sets are available to each character, but they have tied these moves to incredibly unbalanced stat changing gear. Therefore, it is impossible to enable custom moves because online nobody has the custom option enabled. Who wants to play against someone that starts with a home run bat or a hammer?

So, while the custom moves are a unique and wonderful way to play the game, it's impossible to use against others online.
  100. Oct 26, 2014
    wow i doubted that ssb 3ds will be any good compare to previous ssb since it was gonna be handheld but boy i was wrong. it is def a buy if u are a ssb fan and owns a 3ds but only if u own a 3ds. if u have wiiu, wait for the wiiu cuz the control is somewat hard to get used to and the small screen will rip ur eye balls out lol. But besides that it is def ssb and it plays like ssb with icingwow i doubted that ssb 3ds will be any good compare to previous ssb since it was gonna be handheld but boy i was wrong. it is def a buy if u are a ssb fan and owns a 3ds but only if u own a 3ds. if u have wiiu, wait for the wiiu cuz the control is somewat hard to get used to and the small screen will rip ur eye balls out lol. But besides that it is def ssb and it plays like ssb with icing on the top with mii creator and customization of any of ur favorite roster champs and a surprisingly smooth online 1v1 experience. 4palyer free for all and 2v2 not so smooth half the time. but common its ssb in ur pocket so u cant really complain about these stuff...i say 7.5/10 Expand

1. Jan 9, 2015
    If you’re a fan of Nintendo, you will be delighted with Super Smash Bros. [13/2014, p.69]
  2. Dec 2, 2014
    On its own merits, it's an utter joy...but it's also pretty clearly a primer for the Wii U version. [Issue#255, p.68]
  3. Nov 15, 2014
    The new Smash overcomes its biggest challenge by actually being very playable on the portable 3DS. The online side is mediocre at best, but there is nevertheless a lot of fun to be had here. [Nov 2014]