8.8

1. Jul 5, 2011
    Quite possibly the best version of Ocarina of Time. The game is the same, but the graphics, some sounds and of course the 3D and gyro sensor features add some welcomed improvements. As for the 3D in particular - it is excellent, it adds depth to everything and does not feel 'tacked-on'. I would definitely recommend this game if you have, or are considering a Nintendo 3DS.
  2. Jun 19, 2011
    This game is really one of the greatest games ever made, and has aged incredibly well. I havent played it since the original release more than a decade ago (although I played it for a while on the Gamecube collection) and this is an extremely well done remake. The graphics are much nicer, and the 3D really gives them an whole new level of polish. This is a must have for both old Legend ofThis game is really one of the greatest games ever made, and has aged incredibly well. I havent played it since the original release more than a decade ago (although I played it for a while on the Gamecube collection) and this is an extremely well done remake. The graphics are much nicer, and the 3D really gives them an whole new level of polish. This is a must have for both old Legend of Zelda fans who have experience it before (so you can experience the absolute best version of one of the best games of all time) and for all the people who never got the privilege of playing this before. Dont listen to the haters, this is an absolute gem, a game I would gladly buy a 3DS just for playing it (although I didnt, there are a ton of announced games for it that im sure will be amazing). If you are still on the fence, stop reading and go BUY IT! And if you are about to play it for the first time ever or replay it since the original release (like me), brace yourself and get really to lose yourself in one of the most magical and just plain fun games ever. Expand
  3. Jun 19, 2011
    OoT was an amazing game in 1998. It was many gamers first experiences with such a large, seemingly open world game. There was so much to do, and such a highly rewarding feeling of exploration. Many of the N64 era of gamers consider this to be one of the greatest games ever made. Thankfully, this version of OoT doesn't change any of the original game features or mechanics, however it doesOoT was an amazing game in 1998. It was many gamers first experiences with such a large, seemingly open world game. There was so much to do, and such a highly rewarding feeling of exploration. Many of the N64 era of gamers consider this to be one of the greatest games ever made. Thankfully, this version of OoT doesn't change any of the original game features or mechanics, however it does add a few features that take advantage of the 3ds hardware. Is this game still to be considered the best game ever made? Or is nostalgia a greater factor than the actual aspects of the game?

Well, many die hard Zelda fans may be dismayed to hear this, but nostalgia is a HUGE factor of whether or not gamers will feel that this game is still amazing. Players who have never played OoT before this are surely going to love the story, the music, and the exploration and atmosphere, but may not feel it is one of the best games of all time.

But as for the many of us who fell in love with the original, this is the same game, plain and simple. The 3ds specific features are overall enjoyable, but not game changing or breaking for that matter. the gyroscopic controls are a surprisingly well implemented idea. The 3D effect adds depth, and definitely has some moments that actually pop from the screen, however, again, it isn't game changing or necessary. Like it or not, OoT is just as amazing now as it was in 98. With the revamped graphics, the master quest, boss rush, and optional hints for newer players, this game is surely deserving of the attention of anyone who enjoys video games.
  4. Jun 20, 2011
    Firstly Trolls (for anyone who dosen't know are people who just post zero's because they are fans of Microsoft or Sony not Nintendo) and I really think people should respect games if they like them. As obviously, these troll haven't actually bought the game. So, I would like to start by saying the Overall User Review Score can't really be taken as an honest view, as some will post 10'sFirstly Trolls (for anyone who dosen't know are people who just post zero's because they are fans of Microsoft or Sony not Nintendo) and I really think people should respect games if they like them. As obviously, these troll haven't actually bought the game. So, I would like to start by saying the Overall User Review Score can't really be taken as an honest view, as some will post 10's just to get the score high, (although the game is very good in my opinion and worthy of a 10) or more commonly Trolls who post 0's. Anyway, sorry about that and on with my thoughts. OOT of 1998 was unjustifiable brilliance, now OOT 3D has bettered even the brilliance of the original. The story line is a thing of utter beauty, and the controls of the 3DS Make navigation, fighting, and boss battles simply more enjoyable than the N64 Or GC Versions. Amazing fight scenes, boss battles, and puzzling challenges and quests from the original, now combined with better controls, great visual improvements and glorious 3D, Ocarina Of Time 3D is worthy of nothing less than 100 out of 100, the only dissapointment is that it will never achieve the score the original OOT achieved on here due to the game being a sequel, but make no mistake, the Critic Scores do not reflect the truth. Ocarina Of Time 3D is easily worthy of the same or better score on Metacritic, in fact, it's easily worthy of 1,000,000 out of 100, it is gaming perfection, or as close as anyone will ever come. Expand
  5. Apr 29, 2012
    A fantastic remake of the best game EVER with updated graphics that keeps the original art style and gameplay completely intact, and has good 3d effects. nuff said.
  6. Apr 15, 2012
    I don't think there is anything I could say about this game that hasn't been said in the past, like, 12 years since it originally came out. It's a good game, play it. The 3DS version works perfectly. Controls are great and the second screen working as the map is quite a good idea. Additionally, graphics have received an upgrade. The magic of the original and the improvements of aI don't think there is anything I could say about this game that hasn't been said in the past, like, 12 years since it originally came out. It's a good game, play it. The 3DS version works perfectly. Controls are great and the second screen working as the map is quite a good idea. Additionally, graphics have received an upgrade. The magic of the original and the improvements of a re-release make this a great package overall. Expand
  7. Jul 8, 2011
    Even thirteen years after it's initial release, it's still feels fresh. That's an amazing feat. Games get older very fast, but all Ocarina of Time needed was a paint job and it's good to go. OoT is still a fantastic adventure full of mystery, adventure and action. A true gem. A classic remastered, so new people can enjoy it as well.
  8. Mar 23, 2012
    Still the same Masterpiece that came out during my childhood!, The graphics are much more colorful and beautiful than ever, and the Master Quest is simply a magnificent add!... No much to say about it... It's ''perfect''!
  9. Dec 29, 2011
    I'm sure everyone and their mom has played and beaten this game before, it's been out for at least 10 years now, so I'm sure you already know that this game is great. This is remake of the Legend of Zelda disc that came with the Gamecube all those years ago. It features the original game plus a harder version of the story as well, which was not originally released in the States. Again ifI'm sure everyone and their mom has played and beaten this game before, it's been out for at least 10 years now, so I'm sure you already know that this game is great. This is remake of the Legend of Zelda disc that came with the Gamecube all those years ago. It features the original game plus a harder version of the story as well, which was not originally released in the States. Again if you played this before, there's nothing new here. Same enemies, same environments, same everything. I will say the graphics look amazing running on the system but the 3D in this game is HORRIBLE. Turning on the 3D is just inviting horrible headaches. For some reason it just doesn't work at all. That might just be my copy acting up and not indicative of all the copies but I cannot play the game on 3D at all without getting major eye strain. Other than that though everything here is still really good. You don't need me to tell you that this game is good. I will say though that watch out for the 3D aspect of the game as it's not very good at all. Expand
  10. Dec 30, 2011
    Ocarina of Time is widely known as the best Zelda game ever made, if not the BEST game ever made. Everyone was dreaming for the day a remake would be made. Nintendo 3DS had no AAA games at the time, so it was a no brainer to make it for that system. How did it fare? Let's find out.

Gameplay: This is the same game you have come to know and love. The only big change is the way you use your items. The touch screen is used to great effect, allowing you to use your items with the touch of a item. This allows for a less cluttered screen, and being able to see more of the action. Other then that, it really is the same gameplay as the original, with a less clunky controller. The added addition of the master quest is a nice bonus too, as it is a re-design of the dungeons from the original Ocarina of Time, and a tougher version as well. Great for people who played the original to death, like myself.

Visuals: Now this is the biggest change of the game. The graphics look great for the 3DS, and amazing compared to the original graphics. The 3D is used to great effect, and is actually a huge difference when turned on compared to being off. It can be a little overpowering at times, but can easily be adjusted. All character models are smoothed out, no more jaggy edges, and no sudden pop up textures. This is Ocarina of Time with a fresh coat of paint. You will see no complaints from me about the visuals, this is a amazing looking game.

Controls: Another big change from the N64 Original is the controls. You can now use items such as the Slingshot and the bow with the gyroscope controls of the 3DS. The only drawback is it can easily put the 3D feature out of wack. However, this can be turned off, if you wish to use the traditional controls of the control stick. The ocarina also has been overhauled, and is controlled by all the buttons, not the c buttons of the original N64 controller. Other then that, this is the same control scheme you know and love.

Sound: HEY LISTEN! HEY LISTEN! The sound is great. Navi is still as annoying as ever, and it actually sounds like the sound has improved. Sword hits sound great, and Link still has his usual grunts and yells. Music is still great, from Hyrule Castle, to Lost Woods.

Summary: The greatest game ever made in my opinion, made even better. This is the game to own for a 3DS owner, and the reason to buy a 3DS for a non owner.

Score: 10/10
  11. Jan 27, 2012
    This is a game that's definitely worth it. Another great thing about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is the fact that you can play Master Quest after you beat the original game for the first time. The only minor complaint that I have is that some of the graphics from LoZ:OoT64 are still reminiscent in this game, such as blocky-looking fields. Overall, this game is going to bringThis is a game that's definitely worth it. Another great thing about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is the fact that you can play Master Quest after you beat the original game for the first time. The only minor complaint that I have is that some of the graphics from LoZ:OoT64 are still reminiscent in this game, such as blocky-looking fields. Overall, this game is going to bring you back to the good ol' days. Expand
  12. Mar 5, 2012
    Remains the best game of all time and unbeatable, its graphics look beautiful in the eyes inda, even after years, and now with the 3d effect and even more live without plavras to describe such a masterpiece.
  13. Mar 10, 2012
    A great game for the 3DS library, this remakes of the highest rated video game of all time not only maintains what was so great about the N64 gem, but is the best way to play the game thanks to its redone graphics, better controls, and gameplay mechanics. This is a great game all around. 10/10
  14. Mar 22, 2012
    Just came from the Skyward sword page after I dumped all my rage over there.
    So now I can be nice and say that I would rather play ocarina of time for the fourth time on a tiny little screen than waste even another 5 seconds on that other piece of crap that got me raging and spewing over shallow story and a retarded control scheme.
    Even after all these incarnations of the same game, OOT is
    Just came from the Skyward sword page after I dumped all my rage over there.
    Even after all these incarnations of the same game, OOT is a wondrous, soothing and extremely enjoyable experience.
    Graphics are massively improved and the game plays like a charm.
    Love everything about it and honestly I wish they still made them like this.
  15. May 31, 2012
    It's big, open, colourful, and there is plenty to do. Unfortunately, it is also for the most part mind numingly boring. The level design leaves a lot to be desired because you often find yourself wondering around most of the time completing various tasks which may or may not help you to get to the next phase of the game.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for open level design that gives the
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for open level design that gives the gamer choices. But in this game everything is a gamble and there appears to be little if any logic behind it.

At times you think it's just wonderful and I can see why many people like it. But then again, Justin Beiber sells a lot of albums.

Worth a look but nowhere near as good as many would have you believe.
  16. Jan 22, 2014
    While this is a very good game, don’t let all the fanboys fool you into thinking it is the greatest video game of all time. If you played this back on the N64 and have fond, nostalgic memories it will inflate your opinion. If this is your first time playing it, like it was mine, you will find it fun, but lacking a bit. Despite that, it is still one of the best Zelda games ever and one ofWhile this is a very good game, don’t let all the fanboys fool you into thinking it is the greatest video game of all time. If you played this back on the N64 and have fond, nostalgic memories it will inflate your opinion. If this is your first time playing it, like it was mine, you will find it fun, but lacking a bit. Despite that, it is still one of the best Zelda games ever and one of the best games out for the 3DS.

First of all, the 3D graphics blew me away. They are used to great effect, whether adding depth or giving the “pop-out” illusion. Aside from that, however, the graphics are dated even though they have been sharpened a bit from the N64 version. Environments are often bland & unremarkable and some character models, like the great fairies, have not aged well. I’m not sure if the great fairies are supposed to be attractive, but between their creepy faces, pointy elbows and razor-sharp nipples jutting out of the screen, they certainly don’t do it for me. Other models, like Link & Epona, look perfectly fine, though.

Combat is another mixed bag. The lock on feature is nice but won’t always activate as consistently as you’d like. Sometimes I’d be right next to an enemy and the lock on wouldn’t work. Other times I’d be a good bit away from them and it would. The lack of a right analog stick can also causes some annoying camera issues. Luckily, Link responds very well to the controls and is easy to move around. At first it’s a little off-putting that there is no jump button, but this feature grew on me as I played b/c it takes all the guess work out of when to press the button during the 3D platform jumping (Kingdom Hearts, anyone?). It’s also nice how the game integrates various alternate weapons and gadgets into battle, like the hookshot. You can shoot these using the lock on instead of having to switch to first person perspective every time.

Speaking of first person perspective, the way the 3DS responds to you physically moving the unit while aiming is really cool. That is, if you’re lining up a tough arrow shot you can move the DS itself instead of nudging the analog stick and the game camera will adjust itself. Makes life much easier in some of the archery challenges. Only problem with it is that you will probably have to switch off the 3D mode to avoid seeing double while moving the 3DS around.

The story is something I’ve seen hyped up a lot but I was underwhelmed by it. It’s the typical, generic Nintendo story you’ve come to expect: Gannondorf bad, Link good, Link fight Gannondorf. Not terrible, but not special, either. I found the story in Windwaker to be more interesting. I was not overly impressed by the Ocarina of Time itself, either. It has its uses but I felt like they could have done more with it. 90% of the time you will be playing Zelda’s Lullaby, and that’s not a whole lot different than flipping a switch. Figuring out different areas to use the Scarecrow song is pretty neat, and I wish they’d added more elements like that.

There is certainly a good amount of stuff to do, though, from collecting pieces of heart to getting the gold skulltulas. There are a lot of nooks & crannies in Link’s world to explore, especially with the cool time travel option. Certain areas will be open to young Link that adult Link can’t get into and vice versa. The game also gives you a ton of different gear to help you solve puzzles and access secret areas.

If you played OoT back on the N64, you probably bought the game long before I wrote this review. If you have never played it and you own a 3DS, you will enjoy playing through it.
  17. Feb 16, 2014
    I actually prefer this version to the original. It looks better and the additions and tweeks they've made help the game out without harming the magic of the original. Being able to use Epona in the wild really makes getting around easier for example.
  18. Dec 13, 2011
    This game really does a good job at updating the graphics and does a great job at keeping a lot of the original features of the original game intact. Really awesome game and very good remake. A must own for 3DS users
  19. Oct 30, 2011
    This game that was a legend in the past on the Nintendo 64 returns to the future on the Nintendo 3DS System. The visuals in this version of the game are greatly improved since its debut on the Nintendo 64, these graphical updates include more detailed character models, newer graphical textures and completely refined animations which are further enhanced by the 3D view mode feature of theThis game that was a legend in the past on the Nintendo 64 returns to the future on the Nintendo 3DS System. The visuals in this version of the game are greatly improved since its debut on the Nintendo 64, these graphical updates include more detailed character models, newer graphical textures and completely refined animations which are further enhanced by the 3D view mode feature of the Nintendo 3DS. The game still utilizes the same sound effects, soundtrack and voice clips from the Nintendo 64 version but have been modified to be cleaner and clearer through the use of modern technology and software, a special bonus orchestral piece also awaits you in the credits.
    The gameplay is the exact same as it was on the Nintendo 64 version except with tweaks to fix glitches and to update the collision detection.The new in-game layout is refined to make the top screen Link is traveling on less cluttered while having easy access to all you important information and tools on the bottom screen for easy access and use. New features to this version of the game is the hard mode "Master Quest" difficulty (both normal difficulty and "Master Quest" difficulty have three save file each, which totals to 6 different save files all together) which need to be unlocked by completing the game on the normal difficulty first and was originally introduced in the Gamecube Version of this game which was exclusively a preorder bonus to Legend of Zelda: Windwaker and did not appear in the original Nintendo 64 version, a Boss Rematch mode and a Boss Gauntlet mode for those who want to test their skills against previously defeated bosses or run for setting a new best time, the choice to use or not use gyroscopic controls for specific weapons and items, the choice to use or not use the 3DS's 3D view mode and tutorial videos to aid beginners who may find the game too difficult to solve on their own.
    The game is overall an amazing package and a fun and challenging adventure game from the past with modernized improvements here and there to make this great game even better, some will love this nostalgic trip down memory lane of one of the greatest early 3D adventure games out there on a Nintendo console while others may not enjoy the aged feeling of the game mechanics, controls and primitive enemy AI.
  20. Jul 13, 2011
    I never played OOT when it was first released. I never played any of the re-releases on Gamecube or the Wii Virtual Console. The 3DS release is my first experience with one of the most universally adored games from the most celebrated gaming franchise in history. And it's simply a joy to play.

OOT 3D gives the aging visuals a new coat of paint , a boss challenge mode and Master Quest, an unlockable version of OOT with certain details tweaked or reversed. However, beneath the superficial changes and the inclusion of two welcome, but unspectacular additions, beats the heart of a gaming classic which has aged extremely well. Not only has the game remained highly playable, it is one of those rare moments in gaming where the gameplay, art direction, music etc. comes together to form a truly harmonious experience. OOT 3D might be the definitive version of one of the most critically acclaimed and important games in history. That alone, makes it an essential purchase for 3DS owners and gamers everywhere.
  21. Jul 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In 1998, Ocarina of Time was released, then came the Master Quest for the GameCube. Ocarina of Time remains to be one of the greatest games ever released. This 3DS remake is nearly perfect in every way. In fact, I would say it is just as good, if not better than the original release (Don't get me wrong, the original is amazing.) Why do I say that? The game remains largely unchanged. I would say it is the EXACT same thing, (disregarding the Master Quest). The graphics are the only real change. The sound is the same, gameplay is the same, and the story is the same. Only very little changes are made to the core game. The graphics, however, make this version stand on it's own. The 3D is only an added bonus that can add depth to the graphics (which in my opinion, is done extremely well.) The Master Quest is a great addition to the already amazing game. *Possible Spoilers!!!* It adds enhanced dungeons, and a completely mirrored world, where everything is switched around. This ensures that the experience will remain fresh through the Master Quest playthrough. Overall, I give this game a 10/10. Trust me and pick it up if you own a 3DS. And if you're a fan of the Zelda series, then it is a must. Expand
  22. Jul 8, 2011
    This IS one of the greatest games of all time and this port holds true to the original. Any of these young kids complaining and saying this game isn't very good need to back to their Modern Warfare games and get treated for their ADD. The feelings of playing the original on the N64 with that controller can't be matched but this comes close. The wonder is still there and it holds the testThis IS one of the greatest games of all time and this port holds true to the original. Any of these young kids complaining and saying this game isn't very good need to back to their Modern Warfare games and get treated for their ADD. The feelings of playing the original on the N64 with that controller can't be matched but this comes close. The wonder is still there and it holds the test of time. Even if other games have tried to imitate what Ocarina did for more than a decade it's done better here for the most part. Expand
  23. Jul 11, 2011
    The game is well polished, highly respectable, and out of one of the greatest game series that ever existed it relives a classic game that sparked a legend, if this game was not good, then what could replace it?
  24. Oct 23, 2011
    This game is a true masterpiece. This game includes great length, great story, absolutely awesome puzzles and of course the graphics. It's been pretty much 13 years since the original game on the N64 and because of certain limitations, the N64 version looked a bit......blocky. Now having it on the 3DS, the game looks a million times better (especially the effects that appear when you playThis game is a true masterpiece. This game includes great length, great story, absolutely awesome puzzles and of course the graphics. It's been pretty much 13 years since the original game on the N64 and because of certain limitations, the N64 version looked a bit......blocky. Now having it on the 3DS, the game looks a million times better (especially the effects that appear when you play the ocarina). Great Work Ninty, you have crafted a true masterpiece. Expand
  25. Oct 27, 2011
    I loved the original and i love this one just as much!! The 3D and the graphic improvements make this game worth wile getting. There is nothing like revisiting a classic N64 game!!! 10 out of 10!!!
  26. May 26, 2012
    The old version is a great game but this version makes the original feel almost obsolete. It makes perfect use of the controls and remasters everything that made the original Ocarina so good. Now the 3DS should get a remake of Majora's Mask.
  27. Nov 8, 2011
    Even after 13 years after its 1998 release Ocarina of Time is still legendary. First off, the controls were the best back then and even now they hold up to today's high standards. One part of the control scheme that made the game play so smooth was the intuitive Lock-on system. This may seem like it would make Ocarina of Time a snap, but there is still a great difficulty level. TheEven after 13 years after its 1998 release Ocarina of Time is still legendary. First off, the controls were the best back then and even now they hold up to today's high standards. One part of the control scheme that made the game play so smooth was the intuitive Lock-on system. This may seem like it would make Ocarina of Time a snap, but there is still a great difficulty level. The graphics were great then, but now they look very crisp and bright. Unfortunately I can't say how the 3D effect is as I can't see it. One of the best things about the Ocarina of Time is the story. It seems simple and to the point, but it is riddled with plot twists that keep you coming back for more. One aspect of video games that many overlook is the music. Ocarina of Time has one of the best game soundtracks I have ever heard. And the variety of music styles is amazing! There aren't just one or two great tracks, every soundtrack is unique and great.

Overall, this is the best game I have ever played as it is the perfect mix of action, puzzles and story. If you call yourself a gamer you need to play some version of this game.
  28. Dec 16, 2011
    The LoZ OoT 3D is a fun game with 1 thing that drives me insane which is Navi, I have no other problems with it 91/2 out of 10 , 96.5% out of 100% very good buy it
  29. Feb 20, 2012
    This is got to be the second best game ever, next to skyward sword. It is one of the 11 games that can actually get a ten in my book. It tells an amazing story, with amazing gameplay, mind-boggling puzzles, beautiful graphics, beautiful music, and awesome action. If you haven't played this game, you should definitely. Even if you end up hating it, you can say you've beten and amazing gameThis is got to be the second best game ever, next to skyward sword. It is one of the 11 games that can actually get a ten in my book. It tells an amazing story, with amazing gameplay, mind-boggling puzzles, beautiful graphics, beautiful music, and awesome action. If you haven't played this game, you should definitely. Even if you end up hating it, you can say you've beten and amazing game with great diversity in gameplay throughout the entire adventure. Expand
  30. Aug 2, 2012
    A true test of a masterpiece is how it stands up over the years. I believe Ocarina of Time is still as good as the day it was released almost 15 years ago. Nintendo have done a great job upgrading the graphics and integrating some other new features such as 3D and the addition of gyroscopic controls. Overall the game is basically the same game that it was in 1998, but that works in itsA true test of a masterpiece is how it stands up over the years. I believe Ocarina of Time is still as good as the day it was released almost 15 years ago. Nintendo have done a great job upgrading the graphics and integrating some other new features such as 3D and the addition of gyroscopic controls. Overall the game is basically the same game that it was in 1998, but that works in its favour as OoT has always been the second best Zelda game (Link to the Past will always be #1). Expand

1. Dec 12, 2011
    For Zelda fanatics, this re-release of one of the best Zelda titles out there seems like it could be a cash grab – but the additions, especially the great use of the 3DS graphical prowess and the 3D itself make it a must purchase for all gamers, new and old.
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    Beautiful graphics, that wonderful soundtrack, the enthralling story and that damn annoying fairy, the 3DS version has it all and is easily the best port to ever be made of the legend.
  3. Oct 19, 2011
    One of the most definite games from the 90's is back better than ever. The new visuals brighten the epic adventure well, and the Master Quest is a nice add. All in all Ocarina of Time is a true classic belonging in every 3DS owner's shelf. [Aug 2011]