• Publisher: Level 5
  • Release Date: May 16, 2013
7.0

1. May 17, 2013
    A game of Mystery and Suspense, this game will keep you both intrigued and on edge for it's entire duration (However short that may be). Your visit on the Starship Damrey is wrapped in mystery from the moment you wake from cold sleep and discover you are alone and trapped in your Sleep Capsule. With nobody around, you have to take it into your own hands to escape. However, along your way, you take it upon yourself to unravel the mystery of how the titular starship ended up in it's dark, mysterious, and sometimes frightening state. This game is all about suspense and atmosphere, with a few jump scares sprinkled it just when you are starting to get comfortable with the low hum of electronics that make up the ship. It is these scares that remind you... you might not be alone after all, which is as relieving as it is terrifying.

As good as it is, it is a bit on the short side, making it a good story to curl up with for a couple of hours before bed. Priced reasonably, it is a must have for suspense and adventure game fans alike.
  2. Jul 29, 2013
    The Starship Damrey is a bite-sized horror game from Level-5, which has brought us many good games in the past such as the Professor Layton series on the DS, and Rogue Galaxy on the Ps2. The game, while steep in price, will only last you a handful of hours in gameplay, but it left a good impression on me after playing it in full and finding out the whole story. You begin in a locked cold sleep chamber. Unable to move, your only option is to use a group of remote controlled robots to try and get out, and possibly solve the mystery of why you are in the capsule in the first place.
    The game has a few twists and turns, and a small amount of extra content in the end if you collect all 20 of those pesky space leeches, which in all makes the make have very little replay value if you get everything on your first playthrough.

My suggestion would be to have a group of friends throw in some money and share the game over a few days to get the best experience. That way you can avoid the steep price, for only a few hours of enjoyment. Either way, it is still a good attempt at a puzzle/horror game on the 3ds and I would love to see a more detailed and upgraded sequel with plenty of more content.
  3. Jul 13, 2013
    I feel like this game had a lot of potential and could have done a few things to make it slightly longer or more puzzles. I was excited when I saw the disclaimer screen that there would be no help given and you would have to figure things out yourself, however I found the puzzles pretty simplistic. Also we went from finding a way to open 1 door at a time to suddenly being able to open all of them, this could have been a way to make the game longer but they failed to use it. The story and suspense was very good however, it held my attention and I did think that was fantastic. To 100% the game took me 2 hours and 18 minutes. Basically the entire reason why I was let down by the game was the length and price. If the price was lower the length would not have been that much of an issue. When this game goes on sale like the last batch of guild 01 games did, definitely pick it up, turn the lights off, get into bed and enjoy. It's not worth 8 euro but if it goes down to 4 or 6 you'll definitely feel more satisfied. Expand

1. There are two games here: the one you've been led to hope for and the one you play. It's not so much a valiant effort as a nice idea that never got used.
  2. Jun 30, 2013
    While the launch price of $8 feels a dollar or two too high, I definitely enjoyed the game (when I wasn't stuck) and felt satisfied when it was over. I would recommend it to players interested in the genre, and especially to those who prefer puzzles with a foothold in actual logic. Players interested in elegant, small-scale design might also learn a thing or two from this tasteful interstellar jaunt, as well.
  3. Jun 28, 2013
    A few hours ambling around this vapid environment is far too long. [Issue#136, p.113]